Dendrolycopodium Species, Eastern Tree Clubmoss, Ground Pine, Princess Pine

Dendrolycopodium obscurum

Family: Lycopodiaceae
Genus: Dendrolycopodium
Species: obscurum (ob-SKEW-rum) (Info)
Synonym:Lycopodium dendroideum var. obscurum
Synonym:Lycopodium obscurum

Groundcovers

Partial to Full Shade

Dark Green

Grow outdoors year-round in hardiness zone

Inconspicuous/none

Bloom Size:

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

El Cerrito, California

Warren, Pennsylvania

Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Pickens, South Carolina

On Mar 17, 2018, Penelope_Anne from Williamsport, PA wrote:

I found this plant in the woods of Northeastern Pennsylvania at the end of January, already producing its yellow strobili. They were so perfectly compact and seemed like they might do well inside. I collected 2 plants, one with it's rhizome intact, the other just a shoot, and planted them in a terrarium (in medium light) with some mossy bark I gathered from the same spot. Almost 2 months later and it's all growing beautifully together. The shoots began to develop their yellow tips within a month.
In my opinion, this is a pretty hardy plant.. Although I was careful with them, I was an hour away from home visiting family and they spent 2 days with just their roots tucked into the moss before being planted and they never even drooped!

On Oct 11, 2013, yrralrellim from Staunton, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Every fall in late September or in October, my mother and I would dig out our burlap bags. With fall came the time to begin to harvest princess pine or Lycopodium clavatum. Growing up in north central Pennsylvania (Elk County) in the late 50s and early 60s, I learned young what can be done to make some extra money for Christmas gifts, etc. We sold the princess pine by the pound to a buyer in Ridgway which was located about 13 miles from my home. We would be paid approximately 4 to 8 cents per pound, depending on the annual market price. After school I could easily pick 35 or 40 pounds but on a Saturday, 70 to 90 pounds was common. I would love to purchase some princess pine now but every where that I have found the "real" princess pine for sale, it is much too expensive. Most websites I ... read more

On Jul 1, 2009, savetheplanet from Pickens, SC wrote:

Ground Pine (Clubmoss)
Zones: 3 - 9
Perennial
Growth Habit
Mature Size: 1" - 3"
Use as a ground cover in shaded areas.

Good ground cover!! Two thumbs up.

On Mar 29, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Native to eastern Canada (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec), the U.S.A. (Alaska, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin, Idaho, Washington, Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and New Mexico), also Greenland, Japan, and Russia.

Listed as a rare species in the state of Indiana, and as exploitably vulnerable in the state of New York.