Clove

Syzygium aromaticum

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Syzygium (siz-ZY-gee-um) (Info)
Species: aromaticum (ar-oh-MAT-ih-kum) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Dunnellon, Florida

On May 15, 2018, TNAndy from Sevierville, TN wrote:

I bought 50 clove seeds from a vendor in Hawaii (who is no longer in business). These seeds only ripen in late November or December when the weather is cold for much of the mainland. I don't know if it was the heat (in Hawaii) or the cold (here), but most of the seeds were not viable once they arrived. Green seeds might sprout. Brown ones won't. I planted them all in tiny pots on a heat mat anyway. Six sprouted. Most didn't live long. I was able to nurse one through to the following summer. It spent the summer outdoors. It seemed to thrive in the 98 degrees F and 98% humidity we have in the Southeast USA. Unfortunately, the following autumn I didn't bring it inside soon enough and I think a cool night killed it. The temperature dropped below 60 degrees F that night and my tiny ... read more

On Mar 15, 2006, melangemerchant from Adelaide,
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

I recently aquired a small clove tree which I will attempt to nurse through winter in warm position in a pot. Clove is native to a small group of islands in Northern Indonesia called the Moluccas, Ternate, Tidor and Bacan being the three main islands where this spice was propogated. Today Zanzibar and Madagascar are the major producers of cloves for the world market.

Syzygium aromaticum is a very tropical tree and does not tollerate cold (

On Oct 17, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Clove comes from India, and was one of the most overlooked spices before the advent of the refrigerator. The dried up floral buds were used to conservate meat and perishable food, and even today is used to give a particular taste to sweets, desserts and many other recipes.

This is a short to medium sized tree, reaching around 15m tall, but producing flowers even when still short. The leaves are green and shiny, and have a strong aroma too. The flowers are small and white. The floral buds must be collected and dried before blooming. I donīt have information about fruits nor seeds.

It needs high temperatures, full sun (tolerates some shade), and moist rich soil.