Heads-up! Our Annual Photo contest will be open for entries this Thursday the 18th!

Black Palm, Queensland Black Palm

Normanbya normanbyi

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Normanbya (nor-MAN-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: normanbyi

Bloom Size:

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Oceanside, California

Santa Barbara, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Westminster, California

Boynton Beach, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

On Jan 22, 2014, brachychiton from Bribie Island,
Australia wrote:

I love this palm+++ I've been growing these for over 20 years in subtropical Queensland. They survived a long drought when we were away for 7years. It could be the lower temps that slow them down in CA. I like them best mass planted and have a group of 5 in my new garden - will post photos soon. I think that they are very under-rated as garden/landscaping palms in subtropical Queensland.

On Jun 13, 2005, Cearbhaill from Russell, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Very easy grower Zone 10b South Florida.

On Aug 23, 2004, Kylecawaza from Corte Madera, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This palm will thrive if there are enough nutrients in their soil, which looks like Palmbobs problem. If you have it in a rich soil like Miracle grow, and water this palm a lot it will loo a lot nicer. Just like they do in the tropics.

On Dec 9, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a tough plant for me to grow in So Cal, but I have managed to eke a few along. It is a slow one here, and they always look anemic compared to how they look in a tropical climate. They do take some cold (28F) but need a constant heat to grow well. They look very similar initially to Foxtail palms (Wodyetia) but have slightly wider leaflets and have less stout trunks. Despite the name, there is nothing black about them (except maybe the wood coloration on the inside).

I am not the only one that is growing this palm in southernn California.. nutrients is not its problem here- lack of heat is... but it does sruvive for many... just looks like a thin twig relative to it's tropical counterparts.