Japanese Plum 'Shiro'

Prunus salicina

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: salicina (sah-lih-SEE-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Shiro

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Grow outdoors year-round in hardiness zone

Bloom Size:

Olympia, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Oconto, Wisconsin

On Sep 9, 2019, idahomeboy from Shelley, ID wrote:

Of the dozen or so plum varieties I grow, Shiro is the first to ripen each year and sets a bumper crop annually in zone 5a East Idaho. I keep the tree pruned small, about 8 tall and I thin about 90% of the fruit while they are small and it still produces more plums than my family can eat.
They are extremely juicy and mildly sweet and good. Though not my favorite plum variety, being the first to ripen they are always a welcome treat.

On Jul 7, 2012, eukofios from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

These are absolutely delicious, juicy plums. My tree is 5 years old and this is the 2nd year producing. Late frost can be a problem. I planted it near a Hollywood plum, then read that they don't necessarily cross pollinate, so now I'm adding a Methley plum. I also read that they self pollinate, and that they don't self pollinate. Even so, this year's crop promises to be my best so far. Should not be your only plum tree, but is worth adding to a mixed backyard orchard.

On Apr 19, 2008, wannadanc from Olympia, WA wrote:

Shiro plums are not self-fertile, or only marginally so. The information on that aspect, as well as a correct cross pollinator, is anything but consistent. None the less, it is so WONDERFUL when you do get some fruit from it!!!!!! Wear a bib or lean forward to eat it - as it will explode with its juiciness!!

On Jan 23, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my absolute favorite among the plums available today. Years ago we had a big yellow freestone plum that was better, but the name has been lost over the years and I never been able to find a cultivar that matched it. Shiro is a yellow clingstone but absolutely delicious. The tree grows rapidly to to the size of a peach tree. It does flower early and quite often the crop succumbs to late frost, but when you do get a crop its worth it. The trees are not long lasting so plan on replacing every 10-12 years.