Kalanchoe Species, Silver Teaspoons

Kalanchoe hildebrandtii

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee) (Info)
Species: hildebrandtii (hil-de-BRANDT-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Kalanchoe gomphophylla
Synonym:Kalanchoe hirta

Cactus and Succulents

Pale Green

Bloom Size:

Mid Winter

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Perris, California

Vista, California(9 reports)

On Apr 8, 2016, Susi_So_Callif from Vista, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Another interesting plant from the island of Madagascar, this silver-foliaged subshrub grows about 2-4 tall and wide in full sun or bright shade, and needs very little water. The very small red flowers appear spring to summer theyre nothing to write home about its the foliage thats a winner. The oval leaves are about 1-2 long, with a pointed tip, and the eye-catching silvery look comes from tiny hairs. It should be hardy to at least 28F (although one source says to protect from frost to avoid leaf burn), and is reputed to have high heat tolerance. Good in pots or in the ground, and really attracts your attention when planted among darker-foliaged plants. I purchased my plant in a 4 pot in 2013 and planted it in full sun in the ground; three years later it is now about 2 tall an... read more

On Jun 11, 2012, HortiDrew from Greatwood, TX wrote:

This plant is my prized possession as far as my window plants go. And yes it is hard to find and when you do actually find one, it's on it's death bed. I revived mine from a cutting of a dying one I found at the cactus king in Houston, TX about five years ago and now it is 22" tall and every leaf that drops grows another plant. Such a beautiful plant and it's doing well as I only water once a week and it's in a west facing window. Every now and again I dump my loose oolong tea leaves on the soil before water and it seems to like.

On Jul 15, 2007, mrsgreenjeens from Gilbert, AZ wrote:

This is a beautiful succulent, which grows very quickly and easily with little care. Very difficult to find! Unfortunately for me, I discovered it is susceptible to frost and I lost all but one tiny bit of both my plants. Am nursing that one back to health and am hoping it will survive. Have never figured out how to propagate it, but it did fine on it's ownl Never flowered to produce seeds. Started out as 1 small plant and eventually grew big enough that I had it in 2 rather large pots.

On Feb 26, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Can't find much about this species- from Madagascar so probably not that cold tolerant. Grows as a bush/shrub and has Crassula like leaves. Scrubby looking plant- not a great lanscaping specimen which may be why I can find nothing about it on line. Leaves a pale grey green.