Morus, White Weeping Mulberry 'Pendula'

Morus alba

Family: Moraceae (mor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Morus (MOR-russ) (Info)
Species: alba (AL-ba) (Info)
Cultivar: Pendula

Smooth

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Bloom Size:

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

By grafting

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Reseda, California

Talbott, Tennessee

Parkersburg, West Virginia

negative

On Jul 16, 2018, Timberplot from Blairsville, PA wrote:

Having lived in an old Victorian house for several months while our house was being renovated, I took notice of a large, Weeping Mulberry tree in the front yard. The tree, which had attained an old age, was loaded with mulberries which we picked and ate, and had our first Mulberry pie made from. The pie tasted very similar to Blackberry pie. We did a lot of landscaping to the property while living their and noticed a 3 foot Weeping Mulberry growing within the overgrown hedges while removing them. I took the time to transplant the small mulberry to our orchard as I hated to just cut it down. The tree has grown well and has produced mulberries for a number of years. The old parent tree in front of the Victorian home had blown over a few years after we left and was removed.

On Oct 30, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

I have seen a few old specimens in the west suburbs of Chicago back in the 1980's and 90's. They look interesting for their form. It is a grafted cultivar, so if the plant is cut low, the White Mulberry stock below will sprout back straight. I am not really fond of mutated plants, as weeping or contorted, etc., though I like the Golden Weeping Willow which is not grafted.

On Jun 5, 2012, treeswing from Springfield, MO wrote:

When I bought my house this tree was in front of my house very close to my front window and adjacent to the garage wall. I did not care for it, but a friend exclaimed - you are lucky to have one of those!!!
It is about 8 feet tall. I've had to trim it every fall because it drags on my windows, and it is so thick and tangled. Every year it gets a fungal disease. 2 years ago I decided it must need more air circulation. I go carried away and really trimmed it severely. The following spring, and this spring, it's branches grew STRAIGHT UP. Very ugly - I guess in shock? Then for the first time, this spring it made branches full of tiny sweet mulberries. YUM! But the birds don't share well. I don't know how I will trim the top - the branches are shooting up above the roof, the new ones ... read more

On Dec 30, 2011, Hetep from Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

There is one of these at a city of Phoenix historic home that is currently used as a Parks and Recreation office. If you want to see it the address is across from Encanto Park at the Norton House, 2700 N 15th Ave.

On Jan 5, 2005, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

When we move to Oklahoma, we had one growing in the middle of the front flower bed. Not only was is planted in a bad area (no sun and limited space to grow in), but it was always needing pruning. It is now growing in my friends backyard about 15 minutes from my house. :)

On Nov 7, 2004, Kelvin1 from Mary Esther, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have this plant on the front (left side) of my home. I get constant compliments on its unusual and great looks. I have not been able to grow more from cuttings but I'm still trying.

On Feb 29, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This form usually doesn't fruit, and it's usually from a graft (sometimes bud). So it's invasiveness or diluting the gene pool is a non-issue (at least for this cultivar). Does well in zone 10a, despite reports the 'normal' form does not. IT is a deciduous tree and loses leaves, in southern California, about mid December, and gets them back in early spring. Great look, especially when small enough branches drape the ground. Good tree for smaller areas.