Time to vote for your favorites in the Pixel County Fair!. HERE is where you can vote!

Dyckia Bromeliad

Dyckia platyphylla

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dyckia (DY-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: platyphylla (plat-TY-fil-uh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Orange

Windermere, Florida

Covington, Louisiana

Duncan, Oklahoma

On Jan 23, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- The Dyckia platyphylla in my garden is over 20 years old and still only has 3 heads. It is in a very harsh location, with full winter shade and afternoon summer sun. I have found few plants that will grow in this location, but D. platyphylla seems to do well. Mine is protected in winter under a tall cold frame, so I don't know it's frost-hardiness, but some of our most severe freezes have killed plants even under the cold frame and the platyphylla has always survived. It blooms years in April with intense yellow flowers.

On Jan 30, 2009, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I just noticed my old clump is sending up its first flower stalk.. I have to wonder if there are more than one type of platyphylla as mine is compact and dense as the plant in the Mission Viejo photo and nothing like the razor wire plant in palmbobs photo.
When first planted years ago mine had burned badly in full sun-for years it looked it with shriveled leaves. One year I decided to pull it out...wouldnt budge!...and so of course THAT year it grew perfect leaves and has done great ever since.
A great understated elegance to this plant.

On Dec 1, 2004, epic1 from Windermere, FL wrote:

I have a hybrid between this plant and "carlsbad" called "cherry coke". I seperated one small plant into 2 containers, and they almost immediatly overfilled the pots. Very fast grower, responds well to water in a well drained mix. Showing signs of flowering already. Windermere, FL

On Mar 15, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Creates large clumps of spiny rosettes with moderately recurving forest green leaves.