Indigofera Species, Chinese Indigo

Indigofera decora

Family: Fabaceae (fab-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Indigofera (in-dee-GO-fer-uh) (Info)
Species: decora (DEK-or-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Indigofera incarnata

Pale Pink

Bloom Size:

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Benicia, California

Memphis, Tennessee

Bryan, Texas

New Caney, Texas

On May 27, 2019, Rests from Bryan, TX wrote:

I have mine planted in a pot. Bought it at the local Lowes a few years ago. Had it sitting against the fence where it would get shaded in the afternoon from the honeysuckle vine. Really didn't do much during that time. Moved it this year to the patio where it gets sun off and on all day long. It is really starting to take off and grow. Started a new plant from a runner in the pot. Just a really pretty plant even without the blooms. Hope it blooms in the new spot. It did bloom in the old spot sporadically. The blooms are very pretty. A really rare plant, and I don't know why. Should be grown a lot more!!!

On Jun 5, 2015, JennysGarden_TN from Collierville, TN wrote:

Grows in my zone 7b garden

On Sep 6, 2009, ray94553 from Benicia, CA wrote:

We grew this plant just south of here in Martinez CA and here in Benicia. In both locations it has been hardy and non invasive 3 to 4 foot bush with flowers spring through fall.

On Mar 28, 2006, afr from Dallas, TX wrote:

Chinese indigo was planted in a new area in our landscape in June or July of last year, so it spent the season getting established. We did have some flowers, but I expect more this year now that the plants are fully rooted.

The plants froze to the ground in the winter, but now (late March) there are numerous new shoots emerging from the base of the plant and from the roots. I have cut away the dead tops of the plant.

On Aug 25, 2005, shirleyt from Pearl River, LA wrote:

I planted this new to me plant last year under the pines in a very shady area of the yard....I love it so far...It does put root runners and pop up a new plant but it is so pretty with its pink flowers. and it has bushed out nicely... so far I don't mind...Will I be sorry later on....who knows ....friends want the babies...MM

On May 19, 2004, DaisyJen from Pensacola, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow this in Pensacola, Florida under the shade of a Dogwood Tree. I think the foliage and flowers are very nice, but it can be invasive. It grows in acid soil. I would recommend that you plant this where you have plenty of room for it to run underground.

On May 18, 2004, claire648 from Auburn, AL wrote:

I garden in Auburn, Alabama. We're on the edge of Zones 8-9, and I've planted Chinese indigo under an oak tree in fairly dry soil. It blooms faithfully, grows well, and looks good throughout the growing season. It does beautifully, but I imagine that if it got more water, it could get a bit out of control.

On Apr 17, 2004, MaryinLa from Marshfield, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Can be semi-invasive, but easily controlled, spreads by underground runners.