Japanese Stilt Grass, Nepalese Browntop, Chinese Packing Grass

Microstegium vimineum

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Microstegium (my-kroh-STEEJ-ee-um) (Info)
Species: vimineum (vim-IN-ee-um) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Partial to Full Shade

Full Shade

This plant is resistant to deer

Bloom Size:

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Cuddebackville, New York

Springfield, Virginia

On May 19, 2018, NanaPam02 from Raleigh, NC wrote:

Small light green leaves on a highly invasive plant. Saw it in a few of the neighbor's yard taking over flower beds and grassy areas. Then found it in mine. I've read articles on how to remove it even to using Roundup to no avail. I've keep it cut close in areas that are mowed. I can't keep it pulled out of flowers beds. Am not as young as I used to be so being on my knees is not always good. Am grateful to the comment on when to pull them but wish there was a product we could use to kill it but not harm plants.

On Feb 14, 2011, Sermoneta from Cuddebackville, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

This horrible plant grows all over the place on our property in western Orange County in NY state. I have spent hours spraying with Roundup, trying to plant other things, and I am delighted to read Jesup's (Malvern, PA) comments which are most helpful.

On Dec 27, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Japanese Stilt Grass, Nepalese Browntop, Chinese Packing Grass Microstegium vimineum is naturalized in Texas and other States and is considered an invasive plant in Texas.

On May 9, 2004, jesup from Malvern, PA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Horribly invasive grass. Spreads both by above-ground rhizome and seed. Some of this information comes from The Nature Conservancy's paper on it.

Loves disturbed soil. Able to displace native wetland and forest understory vegetation with its dense, expanding monospecific patches. Once established, the removal of M. vimineum requires major eradication and restoration efforts. Likes low-light levels unlike many other grasses (5-50%).

Manual or mechanical techniques may be the best method for controlling M. vimineum, since it is a shallowly-rooted annual. Hand pulling, however, is extremely labor-intensive, is feasible only for small infestations, and will need to be repeated and continued at least seven years to exhaust the seed supply in the seed bank. Mo... read more