Fallopia Species, Black Bindweed, False Buckwheat, Wild Buckwheat

Fallopia convolvulus

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Fallopia (fal-OH-pee-uh) (Info)
Species: convolvulus (kon-VOLV-yoo-lus) (Info)
Synonym:Polygonum convolvulus

Pale Green

Bloom Size:

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Newport, New Hampshire

On Jun 12, 2019, ronold from Fort Collins, CO wrote:

Fort Collins-Northern Colorado...First noticed this weed a decade ago and let now see it all over town. When pulled, the roots come out with the plant. The flowers are nondescript. I took it to the county weed bureau and they could not id it. A few years ago I went back and they thought it was a type of buckwheat. It does look like the buckwheat images that I have seen online. I now see it all over town...and pull hundreds in my yard.
Did I discover the beginnings of a noxious weed outbreak?
The blue-flowered weed in the upper-right background is also a nuisance as it as prickly stems.

On Jun 22, 2016, Tiffit65 from Newport, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Imagine my surprise when I found my multi colored morning glories had seeded themselves from last year's flowers growing fast, and strong......to only find that it was in fact this wild buckwheat!
I don't know very much about this plant, but I have read it is a relative of bindweed, that grows at an alarming rate, with pretty pink striped white flowers, but takes over EVERYTHING, and suffocates shrubs, and trees. Should I let it continue growing alongside my Heavenly Blue morning glories, and Moonflowers?, I'm thinking no.
Where the heck do these things come from?! Now I have three nasties to deal with, Japanese knotweed, Garlic mustard, and now this! Geez-oh-pete, what next?!

On Jul 22, 2009, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is one of the impossible to get rid of weeds - it loves to climb any plants or any supports. Sometimes you miss them until it's too late. They have insignificant flowers but seeds like crazy.
Bindweed is a common name for this thought it's commonly confused with the morning glory family - even its species name is the same as the Family Convolvulaceae in which morning glory belong in.

On Aug 23, 2008, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is horrible, it'll sprout up everywhere if you don't pull it out and choke out everything in it path. It isn't fussy about growing conditions either, I've had it grow in dry sandy soil in full hot sun and dry rockhard clay soil in the shade.