Pimenta Species, Allspice, Jamaica Pepper, Pimento

Pimenta dioica

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pimenta (pih-MEN-tuh) (Info)
Species: dioica (dy-oh-EE-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Pimenta officinalis
Synonym:Eugenia pimenta

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Cream/Tan

Bloom Size:

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Aptos, California

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Seabrook, Texas

On May 10, 2021, batato from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I have an allspice tree for about 2 years here in South Florida and it is by itself (not sure if male or female). After some research it turns out the tree is dioecious and needs both male and female in same area.

My issue is our tree has now produced fruits 2 x's in 1 years time without another allspice in the area. I am wondering if someone would know why this is happening???

On Nov 11, 2019, Ams329 from Sebastian, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have two allspice (pimento dioica) trees growing in pots. One appears healthy. The other did too but lately I noticed the upper leaves drooped and appear to be drying and now the stems & lower leaves also appear to be drying. Both have been exposed to the same light and water. I pulled the sickly plant out of its pot and it does not appear to be pot bound, but the medium looks dense (like coconut coir). The soil is moist but not wet. They were purchased at different times from different vendors. There are no apparent insects or leaf spots, or yellowing. Just an appearance of desiccation as if the plant was not taking in fluids. I am in zone 10A and heat, sun & humidity are not a problem in this area.

Any one have experience like this or suggestions on wh... read more

On Feb 5, 2015, alexgr1 from Dunnellon, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Germination
1. Gather allspice seeds once the round, 1/4-inch-wide berries ripen to a solid dark brown color. Pluck the berries directly from the tree rather than gathering them from the ground.
2. Score around each berry with a utility knife and remove the two fleshy halves. Extract the twin seeds from inside the berry.
3. Soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours to weaken the outer hull. Discard any seeds that float to the surface.
4. Prepare a growing container for each allspice tree you want to grow. Fill 4-inch starter pots with a moistened mix of half compost and half coarse sand or perlite. Firm the mixture into the pot to collapse any air pockets.
5. Sow one allspice seed in each container. Poke a 1/5-inch-deep planting hole in the moistened mixt... read more

On Apr 9, 2013, OCCRFG from Huntington Beach, CA wrote:

10 years ago I purchased an allspice then purchased two more 2 years later to assure I got a male and female. The third year I got fruit from the first tree and no flowers on the others. It appears I have a tree with perfect flowers. Male and Female so I stumped the second two and grafted over to the hermaphrodite. What to do with all these seeds. I have started 30 now about an inch tall. Plan to graft them in a year. To germinate take them out of the fruit and keep them on warm soil (70 to 90 degrees) for a month or two and they will germinate.

On Feb 3, 2013, Dinu from Mysore,
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

I've just posted two images on here, but yet to appear as I post this.
I have a question - see if someone knows.
My plant here does not seem to flower or fruit. Only the leaves are used here. How long does it take to flower? My plant is in its 10th year since I bought a small plant. It is now 10 feet tall and has even withstood 4 transplants due to various reasons.

On Dec 27, 2011, sageman2 from Aptos, CA wrote:

I recently saw an 8ft.+ tall specimen of this plant and now want to grow it. The plant was on the southside of a large house in Santa Cruz, California. Does anyone know of sources for seed or seedlings of this plant? I work at a community college in the horticulture department. Thanks for your help.

On Nov 6, 2008, vossner from East Texas,
United States (Zone 8a) wrote:

Discovered in Mexico by Spanish explorers, they called it "pimienta", confusing it with black pepper. It is related to the bay rum tree and is is equally aromatic. It is grown in Mexico, Honduras but especially Jamaica, hence the common name Jamaican Allspice. It grows as a small tree, and is a slow grower. Beautiful glossy, leathery leaves, which are very fragrant when crushed.

I have planted mine in part sun, hoping to grow them as large shrubs instead of trees. The online literature says it's hardy in z10-11, I hope a blanket is sufficient protection as I'm in z9. Slow grower.

Did not survive 2010 winter. Perhaps if brought indoors but I already have too many plants to overwintering, so will not replace.

On May 23, 2006, CarolesJungle from Naples, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I topped it and trimmed the end of the each stem to get more leaves. I love to crush the leaves... and place in my kitchen for a nice fragrance. The fragrance is addictive such as crushing a leaf in your fingers while watering your plants.

On Oct 10, 2004, desertboot from Bangalore,
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Planted an Allspice today: a strapping 3' sapling. The 'neutral' rating must shift up a notch in due course...