Clerodendrum Species, Harlequin Glory Bower, Japanese Clerodendrum, Peanut Butter Shrub

Clerodendrum trichotomum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clerodendrum (kler-oh-DEN-drum) (Info)
Species: trichotomum (try-KOH-toh-mum) (Info)
Synonym:Clerodendrum trichotomum var. fargesii

Shiny/Glossy

Dark Green

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Bloom Size:

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Huntsville, Alabama

Mobile, Alabama

Montgomery, Alabama

Davis, California (2 reports)

Ripon, California

Beaverton, Oregon

Corvallis, Oregon

Dallas, Oregon

Newberg, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (3 reports)

Salem, Oregon

Kent, Washington

Lake Forest Park, Washington

Point Roberts, Washington

Spokane, Washington

Vancouver, Washington (2 reports)

negative

On Aug 30, 2017, nothingfails from YAMBOL UPPER THRACE,
Bulgaria (Zone 7b) wrote:

NOT FOR HOT DRY CLIMATES! I got a 1,5m tree from England. It started flowering for me in what would be US zone 7b in South East Bulgaria in mid August. The first time I smelled its open flowers in the evening it smelled like jasmine but it was less and less intense the following times. The flowers do not open at once but one after another so the view is not that attractive nor the scent wafting. In the end the scent is more like of an overripe fruit ready to rot. Also, the tree has no drought tolerance. It needs watering every day otherwise the leaves are drooping and could burn in the scorching Southern sun. Not bad but nothing overwhelming my senses and watering would be problematic. Will see in future years how it would do with more developed roots... Have uploaded a photo of the open ... read more

On May 6, 2016, Charlesinsc from Chapin, SC wrote:

We have a tree about 8 years old. It blooms white in July and then the blooms gradually turn lavender and last a long time. Very pretty. We also have 2 new ones we are letting grow. This tree suckers and seeds a lot of places but they are not hard to just pull up or cut off. Ours is about 14 feet tall and about 12 feet wide.

Ours gets sun until about noon and does quite well here in zone 8A. Just be prepared to pull up little new ones regularly.

On Oct 12, 2015, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I was always under the impression that many clerodendrums were borderline hardy in my hometown near San Francisco, but was pleasantly surprised to find a patch of these plants growing happily at the Arboretum near Boston, MA.

Fun, rewarding plants if you give them good, rich soil and enough water.

On Oct 4, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The species is not reliably hardy north of Z8. C. trichotomum var. fargesii is reliably hardy to Z6a. I have never seen any winter dieback on the latter in the Arnold Arboretum, Boston Z6a.

On Aug 11, 2015, Jennigma from Seattle, WA (Zone 9a) wrote:

My neighbor has one of these. It's gorgeous and smells delightful, and suckers like mad.It also releases masses of seeds which are spreading down the hill into little matts of their own. Quite impressively aggressive.

It's winning against Himalayan Blackberry, which gives me pause. The neighbor has offered me as many suckers as I would care to dig, but I'm a bit cautious about spreading it.

On Mar 9, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

An attractive suckering shrub grown mainly for its long late summer-early fall flowering and fruiting.

Flowering begins in August here (Boston Z6a) and continues into the fall. The scent is sweet and (to my nose) a little heavy, and strong enough to perfume the air. Many compare it to jasmine.

The turquoise-colored fruit begins while flowers are still being produced. The fruit is set off by maroon calyces, which extend the display for many weeks more.

Though the plant is fairly shade tolerant, flowering is best in full sun.

It's very late to leaf out in the spring. If you're tempted to think it's dead, give it time. It tolerates hard pruning in spring. It blooms on new wood.

This shrub spreads slowly by suckering, ... read more

On Oct 11, 2013, teatimecarole from Asheboro, NC wrote:

My son gave me my "sprout" about 3 years ago. It is now a small tree and has brought us a lot of enjoyment - more this year than ever. It has all seasons of beautiful blooms and berries and has a nice peanut-butter smell when you crush the leaves. The butterflies LOVE it, the Hummingbirds LOVE it and I have just discovered the birds must LOVE it as well as I just now discovered at least 8 birds (all different kinds) on the branches. I guess they are eating the berries. I will try to post a picture. Here in NC this summer, we have had a lot of rain so also had a lot of sprouts popping up that we are trying to share with others.

On Aug 1, 2013, trharl from Norfolk, VA wrote:

We live in Norfolk,Va. and I transplanted 2 seedlings from Va. Beach, about 10 years ago. These 2 plants are about 20 ft. tall and fill out space in our back yard. Yes, they are sending out runners, but I keep them in check. I just love seeing the hummingbirds which we never had before. And I love the fragrant blossoms. I didn't know the name of the shrub until recently when I got it identified at the Va. Tech. Experimental Station in Va. Beach. They said they had just identified another sample earlier in week! So it must be growing well here!

On Jan 22, 2013, LoriGrant from Victoria,

I love this plant and it's amazing and unique smell. It grows perfectly in my climate and is very tall and has not spread too much or reproduced or sent out shoots.
I just don't know when to prune them or how severely a prune they can handle. Also, they haven't flowered despite how healthy they are. Help please :)

On Sep 27, 2012, brucebean from Providence, RI wrote:

I saw this tree in Bristol RI. and wanted to find out about it. This site helped me understand about this tree.Thank you.

On Sep 19, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi,
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Quote from Davesgarden "Latin Word of the Week"
19 Sept 12012
The name Clerodendrum is an oddity in the Botanical world. It is derived from the Greek kleros (chance) and dendron (tree) and logic would dictate it should be written as Clerodendron to follow the standard rules of botanical nomenclature. Some sources spell it as such, but the accepted is Clerodendrum.

The genus contains about 400 species, most of them native to Asia and Africa. They are generally tender perrenials, and only a handful of them are widely cultivated.

On Aug 20, 2012, ma_belle_jardin from Vancouver,

I found a mature plant growing in Stanley Park, here in Vancouver BC. It is a glory right now - end of August. A tree-sized shrub (branches from the base) of about 15' ht x w., it is gorgeously fragrant - sweet - with a beautiful jasmine-like flowers on interesting red calix bases. I am going to check it out in the fall to see what the leaf does during fall. For those interested, Vancouver BC is USDA hardiness zone 8.
I am in love, and want one of these for my own!

On Jul 11, 2011, trynfindit from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

INVASIVE !!!

This plant will come up EVERYWHERE (thanks to birds, squirrels, the wind, you name it) and it's impossible to get rid of.

On Jun 27, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Giving this plant a try, I think with its invasive tendency I am going to try and use a cememt underground barrier about 4 feet deep. It may be like bamboo and go under or over but I think this is a neat plant.

On May 10, 2011, blm1067 from Ripon, CA wrote:

My mother had this plant while she was living in Wilsonville, Oregon. Once she gave me a sapling, i have had it in a pot for the past 7 years or more. After seeing this on here, I am eager to plant it. I would love to see it grow into a tree, mine is about 3-4 feet tall. Every fall it looses it's leaves and every spring it comes back.

On Feb 5, 2010, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I am afraid that all its beauty is not enough to win me over completely; it suckers like mad, it comes up 3nmeters away from the tree. I have mine multi branched, that's how I bought it.
I might try to trim it up and shape it like a tree.

On May 25, 2007, drekadair from Wilsonville, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

When we moved into our house our neighbors had one of these planted near the fence. That one tree has now become three without any help, and several have tried to move into our yard. It is fast-growing and somewhat invasive, but it is one of my favorite trees. It flowers late in summer, around August, and produces the most heavenly smell imaginable. The dark blue berries last all through winter if the birds don't eat them--the robins love them.

On Jan 27, 2006, GypsyRoseNZ from Hamilton,
New Zealand wrote:

This tree is between 15ft - 20ft high in a corner of my backyard in Hamilton, New Zealand (central North Island of New Zealand). It has prefuse highly perfumed blossoms from December (our summer) to about the end of February into March. The butterflies love it!

On Jul 24, 2003, Waterguy wrote:

I really love this tree, but very, very invasive in Virginia Beach, VA. Planted 2 about 2' in height and 4 years later I have 6 at about 12' to 18' and countless sprouts in my yard I must pull up through out the year. Non stop Butterfly interaction. BUT I must get to the sprouts quickly, they grow very fast and in any place---like the rose of sharon.... I am experimenting with shaping, and I am amazed at the different ways I can make them look!!!

Hard work keeping after them. If I let them go they would take over my yard and make it a forest in no time!!

On Jun 18, 2003, whoopinaggie from Richmond, TX wrote:

The is a gorgeous tree that grows as if in a race here in Texas. I have had the tree for only a little over 3 years and it has grown to about 12 feet. The blooms smell like jasmine. My tree, however, has never had the fruit that you always hear about it. That doesn't stop the tree from apparently sending out dozens of babies A YEAR. It seems I'm having to pull a few seedling a week from spring until fall. It is a very lovely, small tree and is a wonderful addition to any garden.

On Jun 15, 2003, AmyERichardson wrote:

Lovely shrub that blooms in mid-summer when many other shrubs have finished. Blooms are very fragrant and attract mobs of butterflies. The leaves smell badly if crushed. Mine grows in Maryland at the edge of woodland and is about 15 feet tall. Uniquely colored calaxes and berries provide nice fall interest. I've never noticed birds eating them, though. Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania has at least two nice specimens. A real treat to have in the garden. A hardy plant that's pretty, too boot.

On May 24, 2003, pammyjo from Seattle, WA wrote:

Maybe this plant is too tropical for the Pacific Northwest. The plant itself is healthy and blooms each year, but the flowers fall off without forming the calyxes or berries. I have seen others around Seattle that are covered with the berries, so am having a hard time diagnosing the problem. There are plenty of bees and butterflies in my garden, it is in well drained soil and has been fertilized. This year it got leggy and seemed to be getting some fungus. I will keep it for a few more years to see if it holds its berries, but if not it's coming out!

On Oct 25, 2002, Wilddande wrote:

Wow! A freeze-tolerant tropical with lovely gray-green foliage, beautiful floral umbels of white - pink blossoms that attract butterflies from miles around, and easy enough for a 3rd grader to grow! We obtained ours from the nearby Mercer Arboretum during a tropicals symposium there, about 6 years ago, as a bare rooted limp thing that had been unceremoniously yanked from the good Mercer ground earlier that day. We put it in our deep sandy loam here at our place, under partial shade, and here it has thrived. Our soil tends to be rather acidic, easily leached, with a resultant thin humic layer. If there is a knock on this plant, it is that it is almost too easy to propogate. In the 6 years we've had this plant, its blue-black berries have given rise to half a dozen more within a 10' radius o... read more

On Aug 25, 2002, cecropia from Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Quite invasive, but friends love to have a plant so not a big problem. Called locally "Butterfly Tree". Butterflys and humming birds flock to it. My specimen tree is about 20 feet tall.

On Jul 22, 2002, Chili from Raleigh, NC wrote:

Unique flower/calyx/seed combo stops traffic. A very large example (15'x15') was recently removed here (Raleigh, NC) and was an outstanding small tree. Flowers start as cream colored buds in July then open as soft pink/white. Gradually, the calyx swells a bright magenta and the seed is a bright blue. Gives appearance of two separate flowering cycles lasting several months. Late frosts here in 7b-8a have done some damage, but not significant. Butterflies go right past the buddleia nearby and hover over this by the hundreds. Numerous "pass-alongs" in Johnston Co. NC have performed very well, I am told.

On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

A deciduous shrub or tree. Leaves are usually entire, opposite, 10-23 cm x 5-10 cm, dark green, soft hairy. When bruised, they have the odor of peanut butter. White flowers appear in late summer and early fall, fragrant; showy red calyxes cover small, and ultimately, bright blue fruit.