Mexican Orange Blossom, Mexican Mock Orange 'Aztec Pearl'

Choisya x dewitteana

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Choisya (CHOY-see-uh) (Info)
Species: x dewitteana
Cultivar: Aztec Pearl
Hybridized by Moore
Registered or introduced: 1984

Shiny/Glossy

This plant is resistant to deer

Dark/Black

Grow outdoors year-round in hardiness zone

Bloom Size:

Black Diamond, Washington

Kenmore, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On May 6, 2018, GardenTexana from Rockwall, TX wrote:

A very beautiful plant. Flower frangrance is heavenly and the plant is a bee magnet. Unfortunately it was short lived in my garden (4 years). I just took it out yesterday and I noticed that the roots structure was very constrained. I am suspecting that it was not happy in my heavy clay soil. I loved the plant so much that I am going to try again, but in a large container. Beautiful delicate foliage and amazing flowers....

On Nov 4, 2013, RosinaBloom from Waihi,
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Choisya ternata Aztec Pearl (Mexican Orange Blossom) has clusters of fragrant white flowers that are pink tinged when in bud. They don't mind coastal conditions, and grow well almost anywhere.

On Jul 17, 2011, Kitte from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Have this growing in a large pot under a balcony & it only gets a bit of dappled sun. Perhaps that's why the leaves are dark green. It's a bit droopy & not very happy looking but nowhere near death either.

Last year when it was sunnier & warmer here in SF, it had a ton of fragrant white flowers. My mom's Choisya ternata gets tons of bees, but no bees on mine.

Slightly acidic soil. Deep infrequent watering.

On Feb 23, 2007, saya from Heerlen,
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Raised by ex-Hillier (Hillier Nurseries) propagator Peter Moore in 1984. RHS has rewarded it with AGM.

Choisya (all) are my favorite shrubs! Aztec Pearl looks healthy and green all the year and it carries scented flowers twice a year. Its scent can be described as a strong scent of hawthorne. It tolerates my lime soil very well and it has prooved to be hardy enough for my climate. It survived several relative harsh winters with a lot of snow and freezes down to -20c for weeks without a blink. The shrub has benefits of pruning after (!) flowering. It keeps it compact and it will reward you with a second flush of flowers at the end of summer. According my experience the better you trim the tops after flowering, the better it will flower again. By that it will be covered with f... read more

On Jan 2, 2006, growin from Beautiful, BC (Zone 8b) wrote:

Upright evergreen shrub that prefers full sun, well drained and organic mixed soil. Fine textured foliage is preferred over C. ternata. Responds well to pruning.