Magnolia 'Vulcan'

Magnolia

Family: Magnoliaceae
Genus: Magnolia (mag-NO-lee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Vulcan

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Pine Grove, California

Dunnellon, Florida

Bishopville, Maryland

Brooklyn, New York

Fairfax Station, Virginia

On Aug 18, 2017, lsjogren from Vancouver, WA wrote:

Got a large one of these from a nursery. Planted it next to a star magnolia in my yard that's been there a long time.

It grew slowly the first few years and this year it just shriveled up and I thought it was completely dead.

Then I noticed the other day it still has some runners coming up out of the ground.

So I am going to keep trying.

I am neutral at this point because the soil in that part of my yard is absolutely terrible. That star magnolia is a great tree, but for all I know they may have had to go through a lot to get that tree established in that bad soil.

If the runners die off I will probably try buying another Vulcan but try to get a smaller cheaper one. Maybe it will get established easier if it ca... read more

On Apr 5, 2012, riv from Pine Grove, CA wrote:

i planted one of these in san leandro several years ago and it is now quite big and beautiful. the flower colour is just amazing. mine has the deepest magenta red flowers and as it ages, there are more and more of them. it really did not take it long to grow from about 6' to over 10', maybe 5 years? that's not too bad. it does seem to have a more columnar habit than most magnolias, though...maybe it's just my tree that has it. i've never seen another one anywhere to compare.

i now live in the sierra foothills and got one from the dreaded and sometimes hated wayside gardens recently. luckily, it is healthy with huge roots coming out of the pot. i've had some bad luck with them, going from great experiences beginning in the '90s to horrible experiences (when park seed took t... read more

On Aug 3, 2009, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is my favorite magnolia. The first time I saw it 3 years ago, I stopped dead in the road just staring. It is that big, bold and beautiful. The darkest magnolia I have seen so far. A real delight!

On Sep 18, 2008, baiissatva from Dunedin,
New Zealand wrote:

Our tree was mislabeled and is actually magnolia 'black tulip.'
I've shifted the description accordingly.