Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

Panama Rose, Bush Pentas

Rondeletia leucophylla

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Rondeletia (ron-del-LEESH-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: leucophylla (loo-koh-FIL-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Arachnothryx leucophylla

West Palm Beach, Florida

Winter Springs, Florida

Spring, Texas

On Sep 16, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Responds well to pruning and clipping, which thicken it up. Can be maintained at 3' without having to prune too often. Great butterfly plant for winter, when few nectar sources are available.

On May 14, 2012, Gulfstream17 from Ormond Beach, FL wrote:

I'm in USDA Zone 9a (20-25 degrees, data to 1990), Plantmaps Zone 9b (25-30 degrees, data to 2010), full sun part day, no freezes yet for this specimen. The plant is about 3' tall in a container. Gets leggy and thin spring and summer but it gets a positive rating for blooming during the winter. It's survived 2 years with relatively little attention. It's sufficiently salt-tolerant to live about 600' from the Atlantic Ocean.

On Jan 24, 2009, Magnolia_texas from Magnolia, TX wrote:

This plant is quite attractive but at my location about 40 miles north of Houston, TX the plant is frosted just as the blooms are starting to open and dies back to ground. This would probably be an excellent plant futher south.

On Mar 30, 2008, arizglo from Kissimmee, FL wrote:

I have two of these plants. One is in a butterfly atrium in heavy, very moist soil and has grown to 5' in l year. The other is in my backyard in sandy soil with excellent drainage. This one is only 4' high. I just love this plant. It is really carefree and very beautiful.

On Sep 17, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant blooms from December to about March for me, if the weather does not get too cold and I have to wrap it up. It is very frost sensitive but readily and vigorously roots from cuttings. Butterflies and moths love it in the winter as it is about the only nectar plant still blooming. I am doubtful that it will have enough sun to grow and flower inside a house. It gets almost full sun for me outside in a very large pot. It is native to Mexico (where I'm sure it might very well attain a height of 15').