It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Apple Serviceberry

Amelanchier x grandiflora

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Amelanchier (am-uh-LAN-kee-er) (Info)
Species: x grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Yale, Iowa

Latonia, Kentucky

Wayne, Pennsylvania

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jun 17, 2015, Chillybean from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I really need to look at the tags when I purchase from a nursery. I asked for Serviceberry and this is what I was shown, so I grabbed it. I would have preferred a non-hybrid, but since both parents are native, I'll live with it. Maybe the birds will poop the seeds elsewhere and those will grow pure.

The point of this plant was to replace the lilac with a native shrub. My hope is it grows into something dense enough to shelter the birds in the winter and strong enough to hold a few feeders. If it has pretty flowers and foliage, that's just a side benefit. My goal is to help the native species in the area, whether it is birds, or bugs.

This was already in bloom when we purchased it. They survived the transport home and I was delighted to see the flower... read more

On Nov 14, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

This is a hybrid between the Downy Serviceberry and the Alleghany Serviceberry. It usually seems closer to the Alleghany that has smaller leaves and hardly any plant hair. I question whether the two species should not really be just two different varieties, as they are so similar in about the same natural range. There are a number of cultivars selected from this hybrid for always having good form and fall color. All these serviceberries here don't have as many trunks or stems as the Shadblow Serviceberry. Very beautiful small tree with several trunks that should be used much more in landscaping as a number of other serviceberry species for their neat, clean habits, beautiful smooth gray bark, delicious fruit good for birds, and good autumn color. After a long, cool, wet spring, serviceberr... read more

On Nov 7, 2006, Decumbent from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Amelanchier x grandiflora is a very nice, small tree similar in many ways but a little more graceful than crabapples. Flowers are generally white, a little earlier than crabs, and generally only last 3-5 days. The fruit that follows is small, dark, and often tasty, somewhat like a blueberry. You have to race the birds to taste a few. A few cultivars, such as the one called "Regent," are known for having larger and delicious fruit. The real reason to grow a serviceberry, however, is for the fall color, and unless you buy a named cultivar, I would strongly recommend buying your tree in the fall to select one with excellent color, because the color does vary amongst individuals.

Two mistakes I made in buying and siting mine. I didn't get one with very good fall color, and that... read more