Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

Strawberry 'Seascape'

Fragaria x ananassa

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fragaria (frag-AY-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: x ananassa (a-NAN-ass-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Seascape

Troy, New York

Vancouver, Washington

negative

On Jun 19, 2011, pchinski from Marion, IA wrote:

I have purchased some of the Sequoia strawberry plants from Sakuma this spring, too. I have then in two garden plots. The area is Marion, Iowa (zone 5). The intention was to see how much production they would have this season as an everbearer. I do not expect them to overwinter in this area. They were first planted in mid-April, and are just producing the first berries. Since they were bare-root, not much of the plants' energy was directed to initial fruit production, as the root and leaf systems needed to be established. Thus I can accept the small size for the first initial berry production.
No diseases of any sort on the plants yet.
I will update later this season how the Sequoia strawberry plants fare....

On Jun 15, 2011, mjbivens from Houston, TX wrote:

Wonderful to finally find a strawberry that thrives in hot, humid Houston.
Bought 10 plants from Sakuma Bros this spring to try out. Potted them, and they were fully leaved out & producing within 6 weeks. The first berries are small but very flavorful. It's June now, with temps reaching 100 degrees almost daily and humidity hovering at 80%, and they are still going strong.Just bought another 30 plants!

On Jun 14, 2010, Jay3fer from Toronto,

I don't think I've ever shared a negative comment about a plant, but these strawberries are a disappointment. Purchased from Vesey's Seeds last year (planted 3 rows x 8 plants Spring 2009), but they didn't bear much and later in the season an animal started using the berry patch as its litterbox, so we couldn't eat any.

So last week was my first time tasting these berries, and they are just NOT GOOD BERRIES. None of the sweetness and complexity of my June-bearers, the Seascape are just plain watery, with just a faint hint of strawberry flavour.

To their credit, they grow well and seem to be strong, disease-free plants, but frankly, I'm not growing strawberries for their looks. It's not the weather or the soil, since I still have a few delicious June berri... read more

On Apr 5, 2009, jackfrost from Troy, NY wrote:

Easy to grow and prolific. It produces large sweet berries throughout the season.

On Sep 28, 2007, spidra from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

True to its name, this cultivar seems to do better in my marine climate as it seems more resistant to fungal diseases and mildew. The fruit is much sweeter and more complex in taste than any of the other cultivars I've grown. I recommend it highly.