Philodendron Species, Giant Philodendron

Philodendron giganteum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: giganteum (jy-GAN-tee-um) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Bloom Size:

By air layering

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Saint Cloud, Florida

Plano, Texas

On May 4, 2017, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Saw this growing outdoors at UC Berkeley Botanical Garden. It must have seen low 30's quite a few times per year its been there.
It cant be as tender as the others say.

On Feb 24, 2012, markdeutsch from Pass Christian, MS wrote:

I must agree with jungleboy. I was quite dismayed when fall came with nights in the forties, and my Phil. giganteums had a metabolic failure, and were relegated to the netherworld. Had to re-order. Now I grow them on top of the cupboad, mostly, only giving them a growth boost by putting them under the oaks in summer. Still, worth growing. Replacement was cheap.

On May 25, 2008, jungleboy_fl from Naples, FL wrote:

P. giganteum is quite a monster. I've enjoyed growing them, but I must attest that this species is more sensitive to the cold than any other philodendron I have ever grown. I've been growing it in Naples, FL, USDA zone 10. My home is located very close to the gulf on the back bay, and the unique microclimate is more zone 10b. Despite the ideal location, this philodendron has expired on me during very brief periods of cold, well above freezing. Even some of my rarest, most delicate, cold sensitive palms withstood these brief cold spells unscathed, but the P. giganteum was obviously damaged below 45 deg. F. My suggestion- keep this philodendron in a greenhouse, unless you live in a truly tropical climate. It also needs copious amounts of water, which is hard to provide in a state tha... read more

On Jan 4, 2005, janetplanet from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

I love this bright green giant philodendron but I've only seen two (the other one is still at Walmart) and it's not listed in any books that I have. Can anyone tell me about it? So far it has been as hardy as my monstera delicosas. Zone 9b. It's in good soil under an oak and receives some sun after 5pm or so.