Watermelon 'Bozeman Melon'

Citrullus lanatus

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrullus (SIT-ruh-lus) (Info)
Species: lanatus (la-NA-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Bozeman Melon

Vegetables

Gold (yellow-orange)

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Ione, California

Logan, Utah

On Jul 27, 2014, Windchyme from Stockton, CA wrote:

I am very happy with this watermelon variety!!!

This plant DOES set seeds, of course it does....inside the watermelon. I have managed to fit 30 lb watermelons in my icebox before so whether or not it is an icebox watermelon is up to the one with the icebox I suppose.

I am in the foothills of California where during the summer it can get triple digit temps but pondering moving to a cooler location at some point which this variety is supposed to handle well being early and tolerant of cooler temps. This watermelon is growing vigorously here for me as far as foliage goes- it has exploded and gone everywhere. Life had me planting way late this year- at about the time cooler climates would have planted out and been minorly late. Still this watermelon is going to to... read more

On May 5, 2014, lokidog from Logan, UT wrote:

There are two mistakes for this plant. Seed Collecting - this plant does set seeds, and they will be true as this is an open pollinated variety. And this is NOT an icebox melon, but a quite large melon - 10-30 lbs. Prairie seeds description is rather vague and simply says larger than sugar baby. Adaptive Seeds has a little more info.
After growing this last year - it is a large melon (though not huge). It's early and tasty. It is sort of tolerant of cool weather, but still does best with melon weather - hot. Last August we had a cool rainy period (very rare here), and they just sat there, and eventually powdery mildew went wild and I got no more melons. But I already harvested some in late July - Mid August!

On Feb 24, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Named for Bozeman Montana, an ealry icebox melon slightly larger than a Sugar Baby. Available from Prairie Garden Seeds.