Illustrated with 50 color photos, all the information a reader needs to succeed with a garden in a cold climate:
* Selecting shrubs, trees and perennials that are hardy to zone 5 or colder, and making use of microclimates;
* Planting only vegetables and fruits that will ripen in a short season;
* Designing a landscape that for much of the year will be enjoyed only from the inside looking out;
* Protecting plants through the uses of mulch, cloches, cold frames, row covers,windbreaks, and antidessicant sprays;
* Making use of microclimates; plus lists of the best plants for northern gardens.