Brooks, 30205 (United States)
1-800-733-0324
(770) 599-1727

Reviews:

Displaying the 50 most recent reviews

On Mar 28, 2021, crazybanshee (6 reviews) from Clear Spring, MD

I believe this company may be out of business. I placed an online order for around $134 for trees. Got the automated response acknowledging the order. Waited a month without hearing anything. Emailed them. Waited a couple more weeks. Emailed them again. A couple weeks later opened a claim with paypal. I guess they didn't respond because paypal refunded my money. Do not order.

On Apr 15, 2020, NarrowWayFarm (16 reviews) from Brookville, OH

I was very pleased with the 4 in 1 cherry trees and honeyberry shrubs that I got from Ison's Nursery. My order was packaged well and the tree/shrub size puts other companies to absolute shame. Shipping time was acceptable as well. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.

On Jan 9, 2020, parkerr (1 reviews) from Tyler, TX

I have ordered from Ison's two times. Their packing is great, and the plants arrived in good shape, with moist, flexible roots and long vines. (I bought the 2 years + vines.) I was impressed! The muscadines we planted last year look good this year, too. No fruit yet, but the plants aren't old enough yet to bear fruit. I like their catalog, and their how-to videos, too. Janet, answered the phone, the times I called, and has always been very helpful and friendly. I plan to buy from them again!

On Jul 20, 2019, mwieder (16 reviews) from Beachwood, OH

I have placed several orders with Ison's but won't any more. As they say, the measure of a company is not when everything is going correctly, but when something does not, and here Ison's has been incredibly disappointing. I also encourage all potential customers to read this to be spared the time and expense I was in advance. I have a house with limited planting space in my yard and therefore choose what I plant carefully. In 2015, I decided to use the only area in my yard fit for grapes to plant a Fry Seedless Muscadine marketed and sold by Ison's as "semi-self fertile." The plant was shipped healthy (I must say, as has been the case with all of the plants I have received from them) and quickly took root. Each successive year, I tended to the vine, fertilizing, pruning, spraying, etc. After 4 years, the vine looks incredibly healthy, has put out dozens of clusters of flowers and, most importantly, not a single grape. Now, some irregularity was expected - they are clear that some years there will be lots and others less, but there should be some. I have plenty of pollinators in my yard as well, as all of my fruit trees produce abundantly. When I contacted them earlier this year, they advised I plant another muscadine next to this one. When I responded I have no room for it, after 2 weeks, they finally admitted un-apologetically I should pull it out as it was unlikely to ever give fruit. It's incredible deceptive to advertise something as semi self fertile when it's not self fertile at all - as the vine will never produce grapes on it's own, they wasted all of my time and energy over 4 years! For some off you, the fact that they ship healthy plant matter may be sufficient to keep using them, but a company that misleads its customers and takes no responsibility for what they have done does not deserve my money.

On Feb 28, 2019, RebeccaLynn (22 reviews) from Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)

I ordered two seedless muscadine vines and a fig tree from Ison's. Within a week of the phone order my plants arrived. All were well packed and in good condition. The planting and care instructions were detailed and complete. I am pleased with my order.

On Sep 13, 2018, jiari (1 reviews) from Andover, MA

On 4/4/17, I ordered all bare root plants: (2) Salavatski Russian Pomegranate Tree (arrived with almost full leaves and 2-3 branches) (1) Li JuJube Tree (arrived with a few leaves) (2) Caroline Raspberry Plant (arrived looking like dead sticks) I can't remember if Ison's sent me tracking information, but I know either they did or UPS did as I knew the day the plants would arrive. I live in 01810. Plants arrived with some sort of gel. I planted 5 days after the plants arrived and followed Ison's instructions. Winter of 2017 was pretty rough with multiple subzero days. Status of plants as of 9/13/18 Pomeganates -> Rough remainder of the year. No winter protection and wet snow bent all the branches to death. Both grew back vigorously. I'll protect them this year. Raspberries -> pretty sure they arrived dead. I didn't complain as my waiting 5 days is a long time for a little stick. Li Jujube -> Grew well into the 3rd month. Deer ate it down to trunk. Li grew back a little, but I was pretty sure it was a goner. No winter protection and grafted Li died. Root stock lived and is flourishing. I'm going to buy a new one from Isons's and remove the root stock. Maybe others have higher expectations, but I think my experience with mail order plants was pretty good from Isons.

On Jul 30, 2018, SanJoseFool (20 reviews) from Canton, GA (Zone 7b)

Ordered a jujube, persimmon, and pomegranate from Ison late this spring. Plants were nice size for the price, packed well, and all are doing well. Only thing I didn't like was no info on when it was going to be shipped just showed up a couple weeks later at my door.

On May 21, 2018, kmrowan (4 reviews) from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a)

Buyer beware: this company does not stand behind their products. I purchased two trees and both shipped at the same time. Planted both right away, same way. After a couple of weeks, one tree leafed out and the other did not. I contacted the company & was told to give it more time. I did, but still no life. Their return policy is limited to 7 days. This is not enough time for dormant trees. My last email asking for help didn’t have a greeting, a “sorry about your tree” or anything along those lines. Just pasted return policy text. I really wanted to like & support this company, but this level of poor customer service means no more business with them. Just wanted to warn anyone else before they bought...it’s an unwise gamble.

On Apr 27, 2018, Hopegall (1 reviews) from Petersburg, TN

In February 2016 I purchased: Concord Bunch Grape Vine $8.95 Niagara Bunch Grape Vine $8.95 Darlene Muscadine - 2 Yr Bareroot $8.95 Triumph Muscadine - 2 Yr Bareroot$8.95 Supreme Muscadine - 2 Yr Bareroot $8.95 Elberta Peach Tree $22.95 Salavatski Russian Pomegranate $29.95 The Elberta peach was dead on arrival. I called and asked for a replacement and they insisted it was fine. (I scratched the bark and nothing was green and no other signs of life). I waited a month and then called again. They agreed to send a replacement and that also died within the first few months but I couldn’t get another replacement since they already replaced the peach once for the dead tree they sent me. Two of the muscadines and the pomegranate died over the winter and the rest of the muscadines died the following year. The only plants left are the 2 grape vines. I was so disappointed! Especially with the peach and pomegranate because they weren’t cheap. I have TONS of plants from other nurseries (apples, pears, cherries, plums, blueberries, blackberries, kiwis, figs) and I’ve never had plants die off at a rate like this. If I’d just lost one or even two I’d understand but this was insane.

On Apr 24, 2018, Canarykeeper (12 reviews) from Menlo, IA

Posted on June 26, 2017, updated April 24, 2018 Placed my very first order with them this Spring, and will never do so again. They mailed me a dead tree. And I can't get in touch with them. No one has answered my emails, and when I call customer service, no one picks up the phone. These people appear to be scam artists. Avoid.

On April 24th, 2018, Canarykeeper changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following: Refunded me the tree, and then shipped me a new one in January. It is alive and flowering.

On Apr 15, 2018, willisjw (10 reviews) from Frederick, MD

I ordered a Pomegranate from Ison's this year and I was blown away by the quality of the plant and the wonderful packing with moisture retentive gel.

On Mar 24, 2018, rserv (2 reviews) from Lexington, NC

Initial order for various plants (grapes, fruit trees) in late fall of 2016. Order never shipped until spring of 2017. Not impressed with plants; small size, evidence of pot bound rooting and overall plant quality. Had a number of failures coming out of dormancy. Problem with obtaining replacements was not resolved until early 2018 so we lost an entire growing season. Plants were replace by Ison's but quality again is suspect with same issues as noted in previous shipment. Communication with this company is sporadic; sometimes you get a response and other times you do not. Due to plant quality and lack of timely customer service to resolve problems, we resolve never to buy from this company in the future.

On Jan 27, 2017, jmiller57zzz (1 reviews) from Pensacola, FL

I planted some muscadines and fruit trees from Ison's two years ago and they have done so well. They grew much more than I expected and I have already been able to eat muscadines from my vines. The videos on their website are wonderful instructional videos as seeing it is so much easier to understand. Every time I have called and had questions they are so helpful and immediately get me the information I need. I just ordered some Black Beauty and Pam and can't wait to continue to increase my backyard vineyard. This is a great hobby for me and I hope to continue adding more fruits to my backyard. I recommend Ison's Nursery and look forward to continuing to do business with them!

On Oct 1, 2016, Grami (1 reviews) from Lowell, AR (Zone 7a)

Posted on May 12, 2016, updated October 1, 2016 I'm going to begin this comment as neutral because I've not yet contacted the company. I have, however, read their policy concerning plants that do not leaf out; and it seems bizarre that the same types of plants, shipped in the same year, but ordered from other companies are thriving while the Ison's plants are dead in close proximity. So, is it the conditions, or is it their plants? As a Master Gardener and food grower for over a decade, it seems to me that the issue is their plants. The packaging appeared to be good and damage-free. Their policy is to allow me to repurchase the failed plant at 1/2 price plus shipping. I am balking because I have no faith the next order will survive. I've lost an entire season, added amendments to soil, dug holes, carefully planned out growing conditions. . .and now I have to pay for a plant a second time. Here is what died or failed to emerge: 12 asparagus crowns, 2 Paw Paw trees, 2 Muscadine (their trademark plant), 1 Marionberry, and 2 raspberry. It seems like an enormous amount of loss in a fairly small order that was planted the next day after delivery. I think there is room for caution with this company; even though it was recommended in a book resource page. More later.

On October 1st, 2016, Grami changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following: Moved the rating to negative because more plants died after Ison's deadline to file a complaint. The same type of plants from other companies, planted at the same time, in about the same area of the garden are thriving. I never did contact the company because their return policy wasn't worth the gamble. A fresh start with other suppliers proved to be a better option.

On Sep 8, 2016, TLHGardener (6 reviews) from Tallahassee, FL

This was my 2nd order from these people. First was tolerable but weak plants. This year, I ordered 7 apple trees and a number of muscadine vines earlier this year. It was a little late when I ordered them but I planted them promptly upon receipt at my farm. The muscadines were ok. They were in pots. But the apple trees were bareroot. And not much root at that. It looked like they had trimmed the roots aggressively. One of the trees never leafed out. It lived for a while on the nutrients it had---but then died. I babied it for three mos watering ---made a great hole to plant it. A second tree looks like it also will die but has been at the edge or darkness since planted. I wrote Ison's a month after their deadline for their HALF refund (which is tacky) and they did not even respond. Emailed again 3 wks later;no response. I tried my best w these plants. They are DOGS. And their customer service is doggy too. No way would I EVER order again from a company like this. I will buy trees from Petals from the Past which is not far from my farm next year.

On May 3, 2016, Englarman65 (1 reviews) from Sebastian, FL

I ordered 3 muscodine vines on 4/24/2016 a Supreme, Darlene and late fry. I recieved the vines on 3/30/2016 and planted them the same evening. A week or so later all vine had buds that were swelling and beginning to grow. A few days later the Supreme buds began to dry up. I called and they were so nice and immediately shipped out another vine. I recieved the replacement on 4/14/2016 and planted it that evening. In the two weeks plus the other two vines had began to grow. On 3/24/2016 there were signs of black rot on the Darlene vine. I called and it was the same thing , they were so nice and gave me some very good advice. I was told to spray with captan (I had already sprayed with copper) and to keep an eye on it and call back if anything changed. It did. I called again and they immediately shippec out another vine. I wish all companies cared about their customers like Ison's they are totally awesome. I highly recommend them and will alway be a customer.

On Mar 17, 2016, RozenKruetz (13 reviews) from Canyon Lake, TX (Zone 9a)

They ship when the plants are ready to be shipped (when fully dormant), so its not right after you order. I bought 4 muscadines, 2 blackberry vines, and a pair of elderberries. Took about a month before they shipped. All the plants arrived looking good and after an overnight soak were planted in their permanent locations. As of this moment they are all showing spring vigor and leafing out in full. Would definitely order from again, and plan to since they have some other interesting things.

On Mar 14, 2016, samhughey (1 reviews) from Byhalia, MS

Ordered 6 Muscadine plants on 3.2.16 and by 3.14.16 they have not shipped. I have emailed this company twice and still no response. My next contact will be VISA security to not pay the charge since this company obviously has no intention of shipping what I paid for.

On Mar 2, 2016, Roiceadeolai (1 reviews) from Longwood, FL

Posted on February 12, 2016, updated March 2, 2016 Posted on February 11, 2016, updated February 12, 2016 Posted on February 4, 2016, updated February 11, 2016 I entered an order before the end of the year. Two-thirds of the shipment arrived weeks later, but they collected over $620 immediately even for back ordered materials. I have repeatedly asked for information on the rest of the vines and back ordered fertilizer and have gotten zero response since being told it was going to ship at the end of January. I have asked for a refund as the combination of vines, fertilizer, pecan trees, and shipping adds up to approximately $200. Nothing. I'm sure there will be a post claiming to be sorry, but this is just abysmal service. Do the right thing and refund my money. Invoice # 252327449 (Musc Plus:Carlos Plus) Carlos Muscadine - 2 Yr Plus Bareroot $12.95 X 1 = $12.95 (Musc Plus:Early Fry Plus) Early Fry Muscadine - 2Yr Plus Bareroot $12.95 X 1 = $12.95 (Musc Plus:Black Beauty Plus) Black Beauty Muscadine - 2 Yr Plus Bareroot $12.95 X 1 = $12.95 (Musc Plus:Cowart Plus) Cowart Muscadine - 2Year Plus Bareroot $12.95 X 1 = $12.95 (Musc Plus:Darlene Plus) Darlene Muscadine - 2 Yr Plus Bareroot $12.95 X 1 = $12.95 (Instant:Instant Stuart) Stuart Pecan Tree (I/O) $54.95 X 1 = $54.95 (Instant:Instant Desirable) Desirable Pecan Tree (I/O) $54.95 X 1 = $54.95 (Musc Plus:Creek Plus) Creek Muscadine - 2 Yr Plus Bareroot NEW $12.95 X 1 = $12.95 (FERT:Muscadine) Ison's Muscadine Custom Blend Fertilizer $11.99 X 4 = $47.96

On February 11th, 2016, Roiceadeolai added the following: JUST AMAZING!!! Asked for a refund for weeks and zero follow up, so within 24 hours of this post, guess what, my shipments were scheduled. Apparently they cannot read email or care about customer's getting screwed, just negative reviews here. So in the spirit of communications, I ordered replacements from Willis Orchard and apparently they understand the relationship between taking money and shipping products. Better quality vines and ON TIME! Buyer beware with Ison's is an understatement.
On February 11th, 2016, Roiceadeolai added the following:
On March 2nd, 2016, Roiceadeolai changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following: Greg Ison did call and talk to me. He explained the seasonality of their business and did not make excuses, commenting that it should have been handled better. He took ownership of the problem, refunded money, sent a nice card, and thanked me for my business. My family has been dealing with them for decades and the goods once received were very good.

On Jan 25, 2016, alanlatour (1 reviews) from Tampa, FL

I just received my order from them, all of grapes and blackberries. It all looks good and seems to have arrived alive.

On Nov 13, 2015, GreenBugger (1 reviews) from Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)

Posted on May 12, 2015, updated November 13, 2015 This review is on the mail order aspect of the company. This company may be great if you live nearby or within driving distance, however, this company should not be doing business online because they simply do not care about their mail order customers. First of all, a mail order company must guarantee their plants/trees that they sell. 7 days is simply not long enough to evaluate whether a plant/tree is going to survive. I received trees in the mail, already leafed out when they should have been dormant, leaves dried and extremely stressed. Their guarantee states that the trees must be dead on arrival within seven days. These trees were alive and COULD make it, although very unlikely. The point being, it is going to take much longer than seven days to nurse these miserable trees back to health, which at that point will be well passed the guarantee. Is this done on purpose? It sure sounds like it, but why would a successful well established company need to do such a tactic to make money? If they cannot ship trees to a location and guarantee them to be healthy and in good shape, then they should not ship to these places. The money they would lose from this would be made up for by great positive reviews and customer feedback, which should bring in repeat customers. That has got to be better than the MANY 1 and done customers that they have now. Secondly, a mail order company has to be able to respond to customers emails, questions and calls in a timely manner. Many people who order through the mail and over the internet, do not call but choose to correspond through emails instead. Email is the modern form of communication and should be taken seriously. I have emailed this company on numerous occasions, simply receiving an automated email saying something like, "we will get in touch with you as soon as possible". Many emails later, there is NO response. Not one. Why is it so difficult to respond to an email? I do not see how ANY business in the modern age can get by without at least some email communication. Let alone a business that makes its money using an online website, where emails are the mainstream way for communicating with customers. The final nail in the coffin of this business, is that they don't even know what plants/trees you ordered! No company should ever ship the wrong item to any customer without some explanation as to why they are doing so. Understandably, substitutions occur all the time. But opening up a box and being surprised that a substitution has occurred is not the way to handle the situation. If you do not have the item that was ordered you need to contact the customer and ask if he/she would like a substitution or a refund for that item. Again, this would fall under better communication skills. Although, at this point, I would settle for ANY communication. I ordered trees, which apparently were not available, so I got something else instead. Surprise, way to go, just give me any old tree and maybe I'll be happy and shut up. I probably would have, but maybe, just maybe, this should have been asked first, hmmm? So what is the point of this negative review? To have my trees replaced and the situation fixed? Of course, I would love that! I work hard for my money after all and I would like to feel good about spending it on something I enjoyed. As of right now, I feel pretty sick that I got mistreated so badly. I feel as if I was duped by a very tricky scam artist and my money is just, gone. I doubt this will happen. If it does, this review will still stay negative, because it does not change the fact that all of these things need to be addressed by this company if they are to stay in business as a mail order nursery. I sell plants myself. I do not sell plants online nor would I ever attempt to do so, no matter how much money I might make. I know my limitations and I know I could not offer the kind of guarantee that I offer my customers in person. Many mail order companies can make that guarantee and are very successful at it. I suggest that Isons contact some of these companies and inquire as to how they go about doing such good business online and through the mail. It can be done. Please stop creating unhappy customers. It's bad for the entire plant/nursery business overall. Fix your problems and fill this page with positive feedback. These reviews do not show us a company that has been operating since 1934.

On November 13th, 2015, GreenBugger added the following: I've been waiting a year for this company to rectify the problem. Either replace my trees or give me back my money. They would rather replace my trees than give me back my money, so Janet would have me believe in her wonderful commentary of a PR person. Turns out, they don't want to do anything! I've been promised that a replacement order would be sent out. I waited a whole year and when it comes time to verify that they indeed would be sending out replacement trees, I get the response that they have no idea who I am or what I am talking about. So I have to go through the process all over again. I say again to anyone who is thinking about doing business with these people Online, Do Not Do It! If you live within driving distance, do what you will, but these people should not have an online business, period. At this point I am going to have to seek legal action against this company. I will not be treated like this and I don't believe anyone should be. If they have no intention of following through on their promises, then they should come right out and say it, give me back the money I spent and let us part ways in the night, never to see each other again. I would have higher regard for someone like this rather than the sneaky underhanded things this company is doing to its online customers. This review is just an update to say that things were Not resolved and everything Janet promised has not come to pass. I wanted so badly to post a positive transaction that had lifted this company higher in my eyes than before but that unfortunately is not the case. Stay away from this company, they have no idea what it takes to run a successful online business.

On Sep 11, 2015, ccoombs1 (3 reviews) from Lugoff, SC

Early this morning, My husband and got in my car and drove 4 hours to isons. I wanted to grow some muscadines and was hoping to get some advise about varieties and planting. Greg Ison (I believe that was his name) was just wonderful! He took us into the vineyard, letting us taste each of the grapes on our list and showed us exactly how to plant , prune and care for our new plants for maximum growth and productivity. We left there with 16 beautiful healthy new muscadine vines as well as everything we need to set up our irrigation system. The one on one instructions alone were worth the drive. I am so pleased. I'll be getting some other plants bare root later on. I highly recommend Isons!

On Jul 7, 2015, Threestripe (1 reviews) from New London, NC

Posted on May 5, 2015, updated July 7, 2015 Posted on April 13, 2015, updated May 5, 2015 I bought an asian pear, fig, two grapes and an asian persimmon last spring. The persimmon and the fig never leafed out. One of the grapes died after about three months. The pear is doing well. I called to let ison that the pear anf fig did not live. I did not realize what ison return policy was. They wanted me to pay 1/2 price for replacements. After a lot of discussion they agreed to replace for free. They replacements came this winter. I planted them in large pots this time and did not leaf out again. So out of seven plants only two survived. I am not a rookie. I have a degree in horticulture and manage 20 acres of greenhouse at metrolina greenhouses. I do not recommend to buy from ison.

On May 5th, 2015, Threestripe added the following: Sent two emails with no response but I still get ad emails from them! Do not buy from them! Very poor customer service!
On July 7th, 2015, Threestripe added the following: I have called and emailed several times with no response. Janet, how can I contact you?

On May 31, 2015, Klytle (1 reviews) from Mobile, AL

Your website redirects me to a google frame malware site when trying to search through your site. Also when I try to add ANY muscadine to my shopping cart it says you are out of stock. Are you really out of stock of every single plant??? your description states you will send out potted plants at any time of the year. I have bought from isons for many years and have always been very satisfied. i would prefer not to order from another company but it's starting to look like I will have too! It's really hard to maneuver around your website when it keeps redirecting me!

On May 16, 2015, jensjo (1 reviews) from Spring, TX

Please note this is not a review on the product since I did not receive it. This is about their customer service. I can honestly say I gave them every chance to answer and they were not helpful at all. I ordered some berries and other things. spent around $70.00. everything seemed OK I got my tracking info, watched it like a hawk. took some time off to make sure I'll be here for the delivery. next thing I know the tracking status is showing delivered! i know for a fact it didn't get delivered because I was there! I send an email to Ison right away. Any how, I figured is not their fault since apparently something got shipped (or at least I think so based on the fact that got a tracking number from them) so I sent an e mail to them where I explained what happened. 3 days later I got a very short reply saying my order had shipped, then a date, and the carrier. I'm thinking: wow! did you not read my question? I have been tracking it, so yes. I know who the carrier is. I know when it shipped. What I need to know where it is. After all, it's not my fedex account. They should be the ones calling in to check on it. I was trying to be calm and just e mailed back saying: I know that. I have been tracking it. Please read my original e mail below. They replied something along the lines of we tracked the package and it looks like it delivered on such and such date. At this point I'm getting irritated because all they have done so far is repeat everything I have already told them. so I replied saying please don't repeat what I've already told you can you just check on the delivery? and I haven't heard from them in days. I'm very irritated with their customer service. I have a job and very little free time. I don't have time for this back and forth where all I get are unusable answers and 0 solutions. I just think It's not fair that I'm taking all the risk here. they got paid and now they couldn't care less. GREAT! ohh well. I'm over this. no more online nurseries for me.

On Apr 30, 2015, TwistedCreek (1 reviews) from Hillsboro, OH

Posted on May 6, 2014, updated April 30, 2015 Posted on April 28, 2014, updated May 6, 2014 NO CUSTOMER SERVICE I received a 4-in-one-cherry tree several days ago, and it only had three varieties. The 4th graft had failed long ago, as it was brown and healed. The worst part is, they sold it anyway, knowing it was only three, as they put the tag for the 4th variety around the trunk because there was no branch to put it on! I have tried calling every day, and at different hours. All I ever get is a recording, at both customer service numbers. I left a message - no return call. I emailed. Sent photos. No response. Don't count on getting any help from this company. If they mess up your order, - too bad, so sad. FAIL

On May 6th, 2014, TwistedCreek changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following: I am very impressed with the fact that Ison's has gone over and above in an attempt to make good on my problem. They are a company that not only takes care of their mistakes, but also works hard towards keeping a customer happy and bringing them back again. How a company handles mistakes and problems says more about them than if the order was correct in the first place. Thank you Ison's. You've turned a negative into a positive.
On April 30th, 2015, TwistedCreek added the following: So now it's a year later, and I have to say that Janet Ison actually sent my replacement cherry tree this spring without me having to do anything. I really didn't believe she would. Just goes to show you that they keep their word.

On Apr 9, 2015, shorowitz24 (2 reviews) from Crozet, VA

TODAY I was told on the telephone that my tree order of $400.00+ was shipped YESTERDAY and that the price of the trees had been reduced by 30% at midnight YESTERDAY. According to FedEx, shipment info regarding my order was sent to them TODAY and they picked up my shipment TODAY, when the prices were 30% less than I was charged. Not very thoughtful of Ison's, when they had every opportunity to charge me TODAY's current price instead of $125.00 more.

On Apr 8, 2015, ktuvam2k3 (1 reviews) from Raeford, NC

I had placed an order and had to take a sudden trip so I emailed as well as called Isons to change the date of my shipment of grape vines. I was told this was no problem and they would be shipped out to me in Mid-March. As I was absent, a box arrived in my yard, my neighbor who was kind enough to get it can not read where it was from, so I asked her to open it. My neighbor is classed as Special needs so I can not expect her to care for them so asked her to place the box in my shed. The next day I called and was told if able to send the box back. I explained I would not return home for almost a month and could not return to sender because box was opened. I was told not to worry, a new order will be shipped out on the date I requested. When I got home, the vines were already dried (they snapped like twigs), so I trashed them thinking I'll be fine with my order coming in. I have emailed them starting the beginning of March 2015 as well as calling and leaving messages. At first I was just trying to let them know I was ready for them and they could ship anytime...now after several attempts by emails and messages left, I have not heard from anyone regarding this matter. This upsets me a lot because I feel I'm being avoided and ignored. :(

On Jan 26, 2015, Japple002 (1 reviews) from Dallas,
United States

I love this place! Great people and customer care every time I walk in the door is wonderful! I appreciate the time they have taken to get me sorted out on planting new vines, and how much time one associate personally took with me, staying on the line with me while I took all the notes I could as this is their field of expertise. I know I probably kept you from taking other calls, but I appreciate the time you spent on making sure I was planting right in order to see a fruitful harvest. THANK YOU ISONS!!!!

On Jan 25, 2015, SE_1969 (1 reviews) from Raleigh, NC

Long time customer. I've purchased many fruit trees and muscadine vines from Ison's over the years and have always been pleased with their service and products. Highly recommend.

On Jan 21, 2015, zaffutos (1 reviews) from Loranger, LA

I have been a Isons customer for over 4 years. I have bought trees shrubs and over 30 muscadine plants for myself and family members. I tried both calling and emailing them about a issue I had in ordering but could not use my promo code. Never got a answer. Monday I called 01-19-15 asking about 6 muscadine vines that are beautifu vines but have not produced a single grape. I was told Mr. Ison would call me back. since it was 9am I figured I would get a call that evening but did not hear from him. Tuesday I called back and was told he would call me in a few hours. Again never heard from him. Today 01-21-15 3pm and still haven't heard from him. Guess he is to busy to worry about people that have already spent money with them.

On Nov 18, 2014, FruitbyDesign (1 reviews) from Dolomite, AL

Have bought plants for years from Isons. Have always been pleased with plants, service and especially prices. All of my muscadine vines, fruit trees and blueberry plants in my home orchard have come from Isons. Happy long time customer. Highly recommend.

On Jul 2, 2014, agfonthort (1 reviews)

I ordered 2 raspberry plants and 4 blackberry plants, all bare root, from them in May 2014. A couple looked like they were in bad shape, but I planted them all, as suggested by Isons and waited. Only three leafed out. The others are dead. I suspect that they were dead on arrival. I contacted Isons to complain and also to take advantage of their plant guarantee to replace the dead plants. They never returned my emails. I won't be buying from them in the future.

On May 25, 2014, carbcarb (1 reviews) from Clifton, NJ

I purchased several pear trees and a Pakistan Mulberry Tree on March 2013. One pear tree and the mulberry tree didn't leaf out for last summer. Tried to call the company, but never got a chance to speak to someone. Felt very frustrated. This spring, the appear-to-be-dead pear tree finally leaf out. But the mulberry tree is totally dead after I dug it out and examined the roots.

On May 5, 2014, jujube11 (1 reviews) from North Wales, PA

I bought 2 jujube trees (one Sherwood one Li) from Ison's in 2010, didn't survive in the following winter. Paid 50% of the regular tree price and got the replacement in 2011. Each year, the trees have lots of flowers but not a single fruit. A few days ago, just looked at the record and realized this would be the 4th spring! The bigger disappointment is to my kids who excitedly told me each spring that the trees sprouted then flowered, then came with the same disappointing summer and fall! Called the customer a couple years ago, although one of the ladies was very nice, no explanations offered.

On Apr 30, 2014, bessie89 (3 reviews) from Hearne, TX (Zone 8b)

I ordered an Instant Orchard Angel Pomegranate tree in December and received the tree this spring. I was happy to see its size. It being bare of leaves and bareroot did not bother me, as I have ordered/received other plants from other nurseries in similar fashion (this is not new to me). I immediately washed the gel that the root ball was wrapped in and planted the tree according to instructions. Again, planting a bare root and/or dormant tree/plant is not new to me. However, all of my other trees and plants have broken dormancy at this point and are leafed out, some are even rather bushy and have begun to bare fruit. This is not the case with the Angel Pomegranate tree. I don't see how it could be considered an Instant Orchard when it appears to be dead. It has not leafed out whatsoever. I check it every day and no change at all. I tried calling Isons, but was not able to speak with anyone. So, I emailed them several weeks ago inquiring to know if this is normal for this variety (late break in dormancy), but again, no luck. I have not received a reply. When I ordered, I was hesistant due to their guarantee of reshipping at 50% for a replacement but I had such wonderful experiences and results from others, such as Nature Hills and Bay Laurel Nursery that I didn't think anything would be amiss. Well, I regret this mistake. I found another Angel Red tree locally that was fully leafed out and blooming, so I purchased that one for less than the Isons tree, so I don't care to have a replacement shipped out, especially at additional cost to me. I'm sorry I took a chance with Isons and I would not recommend them. Save your money and time. They don't make it easy to communicate with them to help resolve issues. I bet if there was a problem with my method of payment, they would have contacted me immediately.

On Mar 25, 2014, chstrcopperpot (1 reviews) from Morehead City, NC

I bought grapes, elderberries, and on impulse a pineapple guava. I bought the pineapple guava simply because I wanted to feel like I was getting a good deal on shipping. I got the shipment and the bare root plants look like normal bare root plants, just a stick. The pineapple guava (an evergreen) had lost all of its leaves but two and was not very supple. I tried repeatedly to call them, but got no answer or return call so I took pictures and emailed them to ask about the plant. I kept calling and eventually got through and they said that it shouldn't look like that and they'll send a replacement. Then, I get an email asking if want a refund because all the pineapple guavas were damaged by the extreme cold. I respond that I would rather have a refund than a plant next year and then they send me another plant. It gets to me and there are no leaves on it. When I called, I was told that I should just wait and see if it leafs out and that damage in shipping is normal. This doesn't appear to be shipping damage and I paid for what I assumed would be healthy plants. I suppose I should be happy I got two for one, but I didn't order dead plants. This makes me worried about the grapes and berries that won't leaf out for a while yet.

On Feb 9, 2014, backyardgrowing (3 reviews) from Littlerock, CA

Posted on July 9, 2013, updated February 10, 2014 Posted on June 16, 2013, updated July 9, 2013 I ordered three table grapevines (concord, neptune and reliance). Of the three only neptune and reliance had good root systems. The concord vine was small and had a weak root system.I planted all three and 1 month later my suspicion was correct. The concord vine did not leaf out and was dry/dead. I contacted them 3 TIMES VIA e-mail with no response. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THEY HAVE NO REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE.

On July 9th, 2013, backyardgrowing changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following: Update: They responded to my e-mail. In order to get a replacement I have to pay half of the original purchase price. They send me a dead grape vine and yet i have to pay half for a replacement. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO WITH STARKBROS.COM OR GROWORGANIC.COM
On February 9th, 2014, backyardgrowing changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following: Last month i received a free replacement from them. Better communication on their part would avoid bad feedback. Their prices are reasonable and one of the cheapest prices. Thank You Ison's Nursery & Vineyard.

On Sep 1, 2013, RobThomas (20 reviews) from Readyville, TN

Posted on July 16, 2013, updated September 1, 2013 Posted on December 18, 2012, updated July 16, 2013 Posted on September 26, 2012, updated December 18, 2012 Posted on February 9, 2012, updated September 26, 2012 I have been very pleased with Ison's. I contacted Ison's both before and after placing my order. I called with general questions, once to change my order, and a couple of times to check status of the shipment. They always answered promptly and were knowledgeable about their products. I ordered 5 varieties of blackberries, 2 blueberry bushes, 3 muscadine vines, and 3 types of trees. I received the order about a week and a half ago. For the most part, everything appears healthy and as described on their website. I'll need to keep an eye on a couple of the blackberry plants. The Navaho had no branching and the stalk was approx. 1 inch in diameter, which seems very thick for a young plant. The Arapaho has branching and is of the correct size, but appears to have severe die back. I'll keep a close eye on both of these over the next several weeks and report back. The remaining blackberry, blueberry, and muscadine plants all look good. The fig tree also looks nice and is much larger than I expected. The almond tree is a little shorter than described, but has very nice branching. The Jujube description indicated the tree would be 4-5' branched. The tree was of the correct height, but all limbs had been completely pruned away leaving just a long stick. However, this could be normal pruning for this type of tree. Overall, considering the great customer service, the user friendly website, and the good condition of most of the plants, I am very satisfied. I just wish I had ordered one or two more muscadines!

On September 26th, 2012, RobThomas added the following: I wanted to give an update since my original posting. The three trees I ordered (jujube, almond, fig) have all done very well. The almond tree put out a lot of growth over the summer. The jujube is a slow grower, but is very healthy. The fig had die back from a late freeze, but put out new growth from the base. The blackberry plants have grown like crazy. Looking forward to fresh blackberries next year. The only issues I've had have been with the muscadine vines. I placed two orders for a total of five vines. Sadly, only two survived. From reading reviews here and elsewhere, it seems bare root muscadines have a tendency to leaf out, but then die back to the ground. They may or may not resprout from the roots. All of mine leafed out, but on most the leaves would later turn brown and fall off. The original vines died, but a couple did sprout from the roots. I didn't ask for replacements since all the plants did leaf out before dying back. Overall, considering the good customer service and quality plants, I still give Ison's a positive rating. I'm just not sure I'd order bare root muscadines again.
On December 18th, 2012, RobThomas added the following: No muscadines this time, but I did order and receive two pomegranate plants. These are the hard to find cold hardy "Russian" type poms. The introductory price of $16.95 for 2' - 3' plants was very good. The actual plants were taller than advertised- 3.5' - 4' and very well branched with good roots. Very pleased when a company provides better than expected products and/or service.
On July 16th, 2013, RobThomas changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following: I sent Ison's an email in May advising that one of the two pomegranates had never leafed out, and that a scratch test showed the tree to be dead. They replied with, "Sorry, they are sold out for the season. We will send a replacement in the fall". That response was perfectly acceptable - a no hassle offer of replacement. However, nearly two months later I receive a letter in the mail stating that they will replace the tree for 1/2 cost plus shipping. If that is their standard policy then fine, but that wasn't the offer I received via email. They can offer any guarantee they want, but to make one offer of unconditional replacement, then renege on that offer later is unacceptable and goes against any standard of customer service. I'm not one to lightly rate a company below "positive", and of my multiple company ratings, Ison's is the only to ever get anything less than positive. But, considering that three of five muscadines died back to the ground (which I never asked them to replace), one of two pomegranates were dead, and the renege on the offer of replacement, I think a rating of "neutral" is more than generous.
On September 1st, 2013, RobThomas changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following: I've just recently read Ison's response to my review. I appreciate that they have reached out, and I do believe they truly value customer service. I haven't contacted Ison's yet, but am changing my rating back to positive based on their efforts to make things right.

On Aug 8, 2013, pecantreesucker (1 reviews) from Houston, TX

POEPLE,RUN,RUN,RUN,FROM ISON'S. IF YOU LIKE MAKING THIS COMPANY MONEY BUY PURCHASING THEIR DEAD PLANTS AND TREES THEN YOU GOT THE RIGHT PLACE. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WOULD SEND OUT A PECAN TREE WITHOUT ANY SIGNS OF GROWTH, YES JUST A 3 FT STICK, AND THEN WANT ANOTHER 50% TO SEND ANOTHER TREE OUT. NOT ME SUCKER, STIFF ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU,STIFF ME TWICE SHAME ON ME. CUSTOMER BEWARE THEY WILL TELL YOU HOW GREAT THEY ARE BUT YOU ARE ROLLING THE DICE,GOOD LUCK

On Jul 5, 2013, imaginefarm (3 reviews) from Perry, GA

I have ordered from Isons in the past and been very pleased. I tried to order from them in the spring of 2013. I called, I sent emails, no contact. I was trying to spend money and they would not return phone calls. Very poor customer service.

On Apr 30, 2013, grablejc (3 reviews) from Roanoke, IN

I ordered a bunch of Gooseberry, Currant, and Elderberry plants (36 in all) in February 2013. Plants shipped in early March and since it was still cold in Northern Indiana, I heeled them into a couple of pots in the garage. Most all of the plants are now planted outside and are leafing and budding like crazy. A couple of the currant plants didn't look well but I believe they recognized that because there were a few extra. The plants had huge root systems. I am very pleased and have added them as a favorite. Will buy from again.

On Apr 1, 2013, BecwarGardeners (1 reviews) from Manvel, TX

We ordered 2 muscadines almost two years ago now. We actually ended up receiving one that was mislabeled and then a replacement. So... three grapevines total in the end. All three are THRIVING! We are anticipating a great little harvest of grapes (can already see tons of little ones) this year. As a result, we are EAGERLY awaiting our latest order of a Persimmon, a Pineapple Guava, a Fig, a Goji Berry and ANOTHER grape! We love their service, and their products thus far. We have already recommended highly to friends!

On Mar 28, 2013, NicoleC (3 reviews) from Madison, AL (Zone 7b)

Posted on March 15, 2013, updated March 28, 2013 My favorite regional walk-in/mail-order nursery did not have the bare root strawberry variety I wanted this year, so I tried another regional nursery: Ison's. The Chandler strawberries I ordered in early February arrived in late February but appeared to be nearly dead; roots dried out and the stubs of leaves rotting. Nothing like the last two times I received bareroot strawberry shipments. I hoped they were dormant, even though Ison's is in a warmer climate than mine and my other Chandler strawberries were already blooming. Strawberries are quite tough, so I planted them in the bed that had been prepared for them and waited. 3 weeks later, only 14 of the 25 plants show signs of life. Meanwhile, some extra plants I moved from my other bed are growing vigorously in the same spot. To be fair, I did not contact the company to express my disappointment, so I don't know if they would have shipped me new plants. If these are the caliber of plants they are shipping, I don't want a replacement -- these plants will not possibly produce any fruit this year.

On March 28th, 2013, NicoleC changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following: March 28: I received a surprise box in the mail today. It seems Ison's saw my negative review, figured out which one was my order and sent me an entirely new order with an apologetic note. The new shipment certainly looks much better than the last -- firm healthy roots, no smell of rot and signs of top growth. I am upgrading my new to "Neutral," because I feel Ison's is going above and beyond trying to make their customers happy.

On Jan 19, 2013, samantha78 (1 reviews) from Austin, TX

Recently placed an order with Ison's and I was very pleased with their service and products. Shipping was fast too. I'm looking forward to planting my new fruit trees and blueberries.

On Jan 19, 2013, Grapes2Grapes (1 reviews) from Mint Hill, NC

Highly recommend this company. We have been doing busines with Isons Nursery since the early 1990's. We have ordered plants that were shipped to our farm many times and have also had the pleasure of visiting the nursery and meeting the Ison's. Bill Ison even gave us a tour of his vineyards during harvest season many years ago. It is good to know that there are still some family farms around. Greg Ison has spent a lot of time with us over the years answering questions and offering much needed advice. Always pleased with the outstanding plants and service. Also want to thank Ms Kim for good service. I like buying from the grower. A+

On Jan 7, 2013, lexus2004 (3 reviews) from Oxford, NC

I placed an order 11/21/12. Order was never shipped. Finally filed dispute with Pay Pal. Received refund for order on 1/7 13 no explanation I never got the plants that wanted. WHAT A SHAME!

On Nov 2, 2012, TRHoffman (1 reviews) from Lugoff, SC

Quick shipping and what appear to be good, healthy strawberry plants. I ordered 50 strawberry plugs this fall and received them in 48 hours. Prices were reasonable - or at least in line with what I could find from other growers on-line. Overall, a good transation and I will consider buying from them again.

On Sep 13, 2012, GNgoDDS (1 reviews) from White Oak, MD

Posted on August 23, 2012, updated September 13, 2012 Posted on July 29, 2012, updated August 23, 2012 I had ordered 6 muscadine grapevines from them. The grapevines arrived but one did not sprout at all. I notified them and they said they would put me on the list for a new order the next planting season. Within a week, two more plants croaked after barely sprouting buds. In my 2nd notification to them by email, I got no response. This is the first mail-order company I have ordered plants from that has such poor customer service. It has been almost a month since my second email and I have not heard anything from them. I gave a negative rating because of the 6 plants ordered, only 3 actually survived, although I have been giving them TLC daily. I am still watering the dead ones, hoping maybe a miracle will happen and they would sprout leaves from the spot I planted (No more stem evident since they disappeared.) In fact, I had order two male plants to pollinate the four female plants. Both male plants are completely gone.

On August 23rd, 2012, GNgoDDS changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following: Recently, Ison's nursery contacted me my email. They explained that they had cut down their staffs during summer months. Anyways, they just sent me the replacement grapevines which I immediately replaced. The leaves did not survive the transport but the vines look green and viable. I will give them sometime to recover from the transport shock. I will update in a later time.
On September 13th, 2012, GNgoDDS changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following: It is now mid September and all the plants shipped or reshipped have turned out very healthy. Thank you Ison.

On May 13, 2012, zyphia (1 reviews)

Posted on May 13, 2012, updated May 13, 2012 Posted on May 1, 2010, updated May 13, 2012 I ordered nearly $200 worth of 5-6' peach trees (4 Saturn peach trees) from them and received 3-4 ' single "twigs" and 2 of them were dead. I emailed them and it took more than 2 emails to get their attention and when the raplacements arrived they were apparently the 5-6' original ones that should have been sent in the first place but they too were DEAD. They were ordered in late fall 2009 and the replacements were just sent in March 2010 and I am still waiting to hear from Ison's about a replacement or refund. My husband said it looks like I can kiss that money goodbye and maybe it is an expensive lesson I have learned. I will NEVER order any plants via mail order again and will warn others about this. I live in Georgia and ordered from Ison's because I wanted to make sure the trees would grow here. My experience was VERY VERY NEGATIVE.

On May 13th, 2012, zyphia added the following: Here it is, 2 years later and guess what......the trees have begun to produce fruit and THEY ARE NOT EVEN SATURN PEACHES!!!!!!!! HOW ABOUT THAT....they are not even what I paid for and emailed the company about and finally got replacements for...sigh sigh..you would think I had learned my lesson, huh? But nooooo....stupid me. Now I have another email fired off to them to see what their excuse is going to be. I bet they will say "but you are mistaken, we never sold the Saturn peach"...haha..but little do they know I kept meticulous records of every purchase. I canot believe they not only sent me twigs the first time and the second time they sent me the wrong tree. I wonder if they duped other customers too. Stay tuned. If they do not make this right I am contacting the Better Business Bureau. I noticed Greg Ison made a comment someplace in another post about making my problem *right*..let's see what he does about this one and my fake peach trees.
On May 13th, 2012, zyphia added the following:

» Read the rest of the reviews