The scoop on 'Edmunds' Roses'

Edmunds' Roses

335 South High St.
Randolph, Wisconsin 53956 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-347-7609

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company is affiliated with Jung Seed

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative hollywoodwig
San Jose, CA
July 10, 2018
Do not order from this company!!!! I ordered a Vavoom rose in April, and it never broke dormancy after several weeks. They sent a one time replacement, which started to leaf out a little and then sat for weeks doing nothing. The leaves eventually dried up. The company will not refund our purchase price despite sending out genetically inferior products that donít grow. So they have our money and we have no rose. Terrible customer service policy. Wish I had seen the other negative reviews online before ordering, as others have had the same problems. They advertise low prices and there is a reason for it. If something sounds too good to be true...
Positive enchantedrose
Charlton, MA
May 14, 2018
I ordered several bare root roses which were delivered early May. All are healthy and nice sized, none of the canes are dried out or damaged, although the own root are smaller than the grafted which is expected. All are starting to put out new growth even though just recently potted up. Communication was excellent and my questions answered in a timely manner.
Negative dco2511753486
Jacksonville, FL
May 13, 2018
I wholeheartedly concur with the aforementioned complaints about this company! Certainly the rudest and most incompetent customer service I've ever received in my entire life! Blase and lackadaisical attitude at best, reassured me that my order delivery would be changed to the date I requested but never was able to locate my order number in the system, never would give me any shipping specifics, and even argued with me about the order having been placed in spite of the fact that I had provided the number that their website generated when I placed my order initially... The plant was healthy when it arrived but it was in a much smaller container and it was not the correct species ...though it was comparable in apearance... I had ordered a black bacarra, which is difficult to find ... I'm not completely unsatisfied with what I received, but it was not what I ordered, considering I paid an exorbitant amount ... I knew the difference because I've owned one before and it has very distinct features ..But honestly I felt like she could have cared less whether my order was correct and I will never bother to deal with them again!!!
Negative mariasflowers59
Lyons, IL
May 7, 2018
I requested roses be sent out in May and they sent them in Feb. Of course how are these roses supposed to survive? I called them up and they seem to have an attitude. I'm so glad I only ordered 2 roses from them. I ordered 2 America roses and only one looked healthy. I will never order from them again.
Negative olga5775
South Jordan, UT
April 2, 2018
My first experience with Edmunds. I put an order for 7 roses total 205$. After couple emails asking when my order is going to be shipped finally they send me old, dry, damaged roses. I have never seen such a bad quality roses. I planted them per instructions but I don't think any will be alive. Per policy they should replace roses but I don't even want to have any deal with them. Wasted money. There are a lot of good, trusted companies I had deal with and my more than 250 roses are healthy and thriving but not from Edmunds. They lost me as a customer.
Negative jheisser
Fairland, IN
March 29, 2018
In Feb. 2018 I ordered one Julia Child rose. Company says they will ship at proper planting time for your area. Rose arrived 3/17/18 which is two to four weeks too early for central Indiana. Plant was in acceptable condition and size, but had started to put out leaf buds. So I can see why they wanted to get it out of their warehouse.
I planted it according to their directions, including covering the canes. It remains to be seen if it lives.
If you buy from Edmunds I recommend you pay their extra fee to be able to specify shipping date.
Negative Highflyer6
Knoxville, TN
February 23, 2018
My first and last experience with this company! Never Again will I order a rose from Edmunds Roses! Worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life! Part of my work entails Customer Service of a multibillion dollar retail store and am well knowledgeable of what Customer Service is all about to please and win the customer, even sometimes at the ultimate cost of the company to provide and establish superior customer satisfaction at all cost and win the customer. That never happened in my present experience current established Edmunds Roses established policy and customer service! I ordered 7 roses, supposedly high quality, however, the way the shipment was handled, there is no way I could have accepted the package and have confidence that the package had not been opened and the integrity compromised of the package had been kept during shipment prior to my receiving the package. The package was supposed to be shipped by FedEX, but was shipped by contract shipment agreement to partly be delivered by FedEX part of the way, and the United States Post office Part of the way. That is Most certainly And should be permanently unacceptable for every customer in the future! Unacceptable and will always be unacceptable for me! No compromise from me on that point and issue! It is just too extremely unreasonable because of the unreasonable length of time for delivery. Three days perhaps is a reasonable time. But, My God, It took almost 7 days to be delivered to me. That is Absurd! I prefer only next day Air delivery from point of package pick up point to delivery destination arrival and in my hand by !0;00AM the next day. Only by direct flight from initial pick up point to destination point. However, what actually happened was the Package was initially sent from Wisconsin on 17 February 2018 and traveled many cities causing potential fraud, waste, and plant abuse issues! Loss of man hours, waste of money, and time, Unprofessional attitudes towards me a customer, And at one point of the delivery process the package was only 3 hours drive from Nashville,TN to destination point of Knoxville,TN on 19 February 2018, Why was the package not immediately, at least, been sent via ground courier just 3 hour delivery time to my current delivery location? However the shipment went well beyond in travel time and distance with initial expected delivery time of 23 February 2018, However actuall delivery time was on 22 February 2018 possibly due to my blessing out to FedEX previously in conversation with them, anyway non direct package travel time ultimately depleting the plant integrity and viability further, because the package was not labeled as "Live Plant" and also was not labeled as "Do not X-Ray." My beckoning plea of reasoning to deny the package was further diminished by customer service informing me that it really is "NOT A LIVE PLANT" just a dormant root that becomes a live plant later! Ha, What ignorance! No wonder why many negative comments from customers and don't even give me that B.S. about how the plant is packaged and can maintain life for up to two weeks! Can occur and probably have been written and complained about concerning late blooming, scraggly plant, puny plant, plant not making it to full living status or just died! And had to have replaced. Dah! In my opinion, its the long shipping time, the obvious attitude I received and experienced from Jung Seed Company which loudly and clearly resounded and exclaimed the attitude and fact as coming across to me as I do not care about the live plant, I only want Only our managers and bosses make the rules, And you must abide by them or find another business to buy your roses from. And attitude during preparation of shipping due to improper labeling processes and procedures. When I informed the Customer Service representative that I believe the package had been compromised and opened and tampered with prior to delivery to me, she said, "Suppose we may have forgotten to put in order papers in the box and opened the box for that reason." No! If that occurred, the box must be completely repackaged and professionally re-sealed. That constitutes possible mail fraud as what the person really did do if the box had to be re-opened. If a box is opened then the person who opened the box could have taken out a rose bare root for whatever reason, and No matter how much soil you pack the plant with or how you much plastic surrounds the root to keep the viability I will say that I have never in my life experienced such unprofessional attitudes in customer service, not only from Edmunds Roses, but also from FedEX as I tried to have the package more directly sent from Georgia where it was currently located and never should have been, and had no business being in that state! The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. FedEX did not care as I explained and asked them the question of why the package further traveled to several cities hundred of miles from the destination point of Knoxville, It was their explanation of the delivery contract between Edmunds Roses and FedEX. Duh! I paid $171 for 7 roses plus tax plus $22 standard delivery fee and was only delivered as standard delivery. Jung Seed Customer Service representative literally told me to my face that "If you don't like Edmunds roses, then you should take your business elsewhere and find another rose supplier"! I was floored that such a comment from a supposedly reputable company! I am the customer and Only I, as the customer, should have the choice and say so about how, when, and precisely and exactly what delivery option should be made available to have my paid "Live Plant" delivered to me. However, That was not an option, but should have been! And to top the story off, Edmunds Roses refused to resend the 7 roses again as I wanted at delivery cost to them next day Air and in my hand by 10:00 AM the next morning with only pick up point city and destination city direct flight! For a direct flight delivery from initial shipping point city in Wisconsin to Knoxville, TN which probably would cost them no more than $50.00. I was only offered by customer service to have the roses resent only by FedEX Ground! I told the Jung Seed Customer Service Representative that they should be ashamed of themselves for providing such a poor service! Huh! I could hear her boss in the background telling her what to say and do! And For what? To have my resent package sent around the world again and be in shambles upon arrival? NO THANKS! The total weight of the package was approximately 7.8 pounds. A small price to pay and please a customer due to the previous shipment had to be refused! I had to refuse the package due to my belief and as was visually evidenced immediately upon receipt of the package as package tampering and incorrect package labeling at the moment of the delivery of the package. Who knows how many times the package had ben X-rayed during the many cities it traveled, and many checkpoints and conveyor belts of the contracted delivery. I am sure many! There was no Label of Delivery that stated or was written that the package was ever or had ever been in the hands of FEDEX even though FedEX did verify they'd pick up the package from the shipper's receiving point. Nothing was written and Stated "FEDEX", Only United States Postal Service label with my address and the address of Edmunds Roses in Wisconsin which is only a trademark, not a company. Also, the Jung Seed customer service representative had the audacity to email me and tell me to place the package outside my front door for FEDEX to pick up the next morning! Yea Right! Security Violation of package! Their reasoning was pathetic and offered to not inconvenience me! Do they not know that packages can and probably have been stolen according to their insane instruction? Also I was told by email from Jung Seed Company customer service representative that I should choose this way, FedEX package pickup for the package to be picked up rather than take the package to the post office because they (The United States Post Office) would "Charge me for the expenses of package return which is not reimbursable expense from Edmunds Roses or Jung Seed company" Now that is real Cheeky and Tell Tell sign of a poorly managed company! , And for the reason so they would receive the package quicker! Huh! I really had to laugh! Since when does the United States Postal Service charge for returning a package due to "refused." NEVER! is the answer to that question! I was told by customer service that Jung Seed Company is the current owner and parent owner company of Edmunds Roses. Also, on the package delivery label a simple and mere statement about agriculture examination concerning state of Wisconsin. In my opinion and experience, the Edmunds Roses current company is not as a highly reputable company as has been well known in the past, however, A struggling company, if willing, will finally wake up and see the light that the customer in the ultimate end makes or breaks their business. The wishes of the customer must be met at all cost, at all times, and without fail! I do hope that Jung Seed Company adopts Former Edmunds Roses exemplary history and advancement in going the extra mile for their customer and not continue to be the current non-exemplementary company of demands and constraints of contract policy and money hungry greed! Shame on YOU! I am very sure that you will be forced, if not now, perhaps in time to seek other avenues of delivery processes and modes of transportation which must and will be considered more appropriate, professional, courteous, and are available. And foremost will be implemented, welcomed and recognized, and will undoubtedly decrease your current need for Immediate Remedial Customer Service training which is and will be available and rendered as professional processes immediately in a timely manner. Always remember, your customer is your greatest asset! Without customer's, you have no business! Your rebuttal statement to this feedback should be for you to keep your mouth shut! One unhappy customer has been the downfall of many businesses! Your customers do have ultimate power, expert avenues of experience, and knowledge should you choose to adhere and listen more closely to your ultimate goal of success of customer satisfaction. Available via professional trainers and educational courses. Best of Luck to You! Michael Yates
Neutral iwto
Thousand Oaks, CA
July 13, 2017
I ordered four roses from Edmunds' in late April 2017; they shipped May 16 and were received May 22, 2017. I gave them my normal TLC for bareroot roses, which didn't work with these. I had a lot of die back on all of them, but only Souvenir de Baden Baden and Peach Swirl survived, although with fewer canes now than when I received them because of die back, but they appear to be healthy enough to make it. All of the canes on La Perla and Louise Hay did nothing but die back constantly even when pruned back below the blackened canes to healthy green wood with sterilized pruners; the remaining stubs are now completely dead. I contacted Edmunds' reporting the problems and offered to send pictures. No pictures necessary, and Rachel in Customer Service quickly responded with apologies and an offer to replace the roses next spring or to offer a credit. I opted for the replacement of one and a credit for another and quickly received a response from Rachel confirming I would get both. The credit voucher arrived immediately. I give Edmunds' a glowing positive rating in terms of the quick and helpful responses from customer service but would have to give them a negative rating in terms of the two plants that died, making this a neutral rating. I hope to update this review next spring with a positive rating if/when the Louise Hay rose is available and received and the second choice is ordered and received.
Positive bluebuster77
Posted on February 4, 2013, updated March 23, 2014
Posted on February 4, 2013, updated February 4, 2013
Posted on April 25, 2012, updated February 4, 2013
Posted on February 6, 2012, updated April 25, 2012
My first impression was their customer service but communication over email was slow. I ordered 6 bareroot roses, not at once, I added several times. Very patience. Roses are acceptable condition, some very healthy, some seems little dried. I contected them about one of my rose is dried, they response very quickly and promise to replace if it is not survive. Let see after a month. I really appreciate their effort and responsibility. By the way, lots of selections of roses they offered.
On April 25th, 2012, bluebuster77 added the following:

Still considered as postive for their effort and customer services. But I\\\'m thinking to order next time or not. I like their rare selection but roses are grow slow and not very stong performers compare to other bare root roses that I bought from other sources. I\\\'m very impressed when I received the bareroots but disappointed their growth even I followd the detail instructions. However, I\\\'m glad that I have a Twillight Zone, GF 2013 from Edmund
On February 4th, 2013, bluebuster77 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

First of all I like to say 70-80% Edmunds bare root roses from last year were not really success. Edmunds offered rare and new roses every year as usual but I was think twice to avoid disappointment happened again. This year I purchased most my roses from local nurseries, however, I want some hard to find roses from Edmunds. So I ordered Kerdinal and LeAnn Rimes roses, plus I sent the note to provide healthy roses as possible. But my dream not came true cause by poor packaging and sent me one low grade rose ( I will say 1/2 grade rose). Package is arrived today, roots are exposed in the boxed during shipping, roots and moisture protection plastic bag was separated because they were not securely tie the bag. Means.. roots and canes are dried and dehydrated. Canes are shrinked and only hope is roots, their roses have long big roots, expecting to recover from dehydration. I will says I order roses for grow, not for rescue. This will be my last time ever order from Edmunds Roses.
On February 4th, 2013, bluebuster77 added the following:

Not to mentioned another rose has one big cane, one pencil size cane and two tiny canes. Is this called 1-1/2 grade?
On March 23rd, 2014, bluebuster77 added the following:

As I expected base on what happen in past, I don\\\'t continue order bare roots from Edmunds. However I am interested on winter sun hybrid tea own root that they offered. Package arrived today, all dirt falling apart in the box. Roots are loosely exposed and most branches and buds are broken. The worse packaging ever, of course they have no idea how to package potted plants. Quart pot rose is only wrap with nursery wrap paper, no tape or seal on it. I wait and see my rose is grow. I think NO edmunds roses in future.
On March 12th, 2015, bluebuster77 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I think much improved than past and deliver quality products as expected. I stay away from buying grafted bare root online until I make this purchase. Edmunds has some rare variety I don\'t want to missed. We having little issue with middle man (FedEx) for some delay delivery but Edmunds packaging was perfectly keep bare roots moist and received in great condition. Good size bare roots. Communication and response is A+++. I hoping to do more business with this company.
On May 18th, 2017, bluebuster77 added the following:

Love to deal with Edmund's roses. One thing whether big plant or small, all roses from Edmund's are thrive and blooms. Fast shipping too. I purchased several years from Edmund's Roses whoever owner is, none of roses are dead. I collected some exclusive roses from them. Hope to see more exclusive roses.
Positive quitaque
Avondale, LA
May 15, 2017
Posted on May 15, 2017, updated May 15, 2017
Posted on February 14, 2017, updated May 15, 2017
Posted on February 8, 2017, updated February 14, 2017
I placed two orders with Edmunds roses:
On 12-31-16, I ordered six roses online
On 1-18-17, I ordered seven more roses online.

The first order shipped 1-21 (which was an acceptable shipping date for my area) but did not arrive until 1-26. The roses were of the proper size and with adequate roots, but had pretty much dried out during shipping. I soaked them in water overnight to rehydrate them, then planted them in prepared beds and kept them well watered. All six bushes sulked for the next eleven days, no sign of growth at all. Now, on day thirteen, four bushes are just barely starting to bud out, bush five is still sulking, bush six has significant die back (two canes out of six canes on bush six are dead and I\\\\\\\'m not sure the bush will make it.

The second order, placed 1-18, had not arrived as of 2-7. Since we are getting near the end of the time for planting bare root roses in my area, I was concerned and called Edmunds. I was told, We have six of your roses but we were waiting on the seventh so we could ship them all together. Do you want us to go ahead and ship the six we already have?

I said yes, please ship NOW as we are near the end of the time period in which I can plant bare root roses. I\\\\\\\'m thinking this batch of six roses has already been sitting around in a warehouse for some undetermined amount of time, now they are going to spend another five days on the road, what kind of shape will they arrive in? I\\\\\\\'m going to call back on 2-9 and if they haven\\\\\\\'t shipped, I think I\\\\\\\'ll cancel the order and ask for a refund.

In the meantime, I\\\\\\\'ve also ordered (and received) two year old bare root roses from Jackson and Perkins and from Witherspoon (all roses from both companies arrived via two day shipping in excellent condition and budded out immediately on being planted).

And I\\\\\\\'ve also ordered and received one year old own root roses from Chamblee\\\\\\\'s and Rogue Valley. All arrived via two day shipping in bands in excellent condition and are doing fine. (My only criticisim is, the Rogue Valley ones are very small, barely more than cuttings - but as they are very healthy and appear very happy in their new location, this isn\\\\\\\'t a big issue for me.)

I\\\\\\\'ll update my review when I find out what\\\\\\\'s going on with the second order.
On February 14th, 2017, quitaque added the following:

UPDATE - FEBRUARY 14, 2017

ORDER 1: Ordered six roses. Roses spent five days in transit, arrived somewhat dry. Hydrated overnight, planted in \\\"ideal conditions\\\" - newly prepared rose bed (full sun, amended soil).
All sulked for two weeks.
2 budded normally after two weeks.
2 budded very slowly during week three.
2 still haven\\\'t budded, one has significant dieback.

ORDER 2: Ordered seven roses 1-18-17,
2-7 no roses, so called and was told \\\"we are holding your order waiting on one rose.\\\" I said, please ship immediately as I am at end of bare root planting season for my area. Edmunds promised to ship immediately.
2-8 credit card showed Edmunds had refunded price of non-available rose, so I figured it was all under control.
2-14 just received email from Edmunds stating that seven roses shipped on 2-10 and will arrive 2-16, meaning they will be six days in transit.
On May 15th, 2017, quitaque changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I\'m changing my rating from neutral to positive. The bottom line is, I ordered thirteen roses, they couldn\'t get one of the thirteen, so they refunded the amount I\'d paid for that one and shipped me twelve. Several of the twelve were slow to bud and had dieback issues, but I was patient with them and, as of today\'s date, they have all recovered and are doing well. So bottom line is, things worked out okay.
On May 15th, 2017, quitaque added the following:

P.S. My original comment on Edmunds Roses included a favorable mention of Rogue Valley Roses. Rogue Valley Roses recently changed management and the new management is horrible to deal with. So, my final recommendation is, Edmunds is fine, RVR stay away.
Positive pugetblooms
Port Orchard, WA
May 8, 2017
We ordered 5 Sheila's Perfume roses about two months ago. They arrived bare root and dormant as expected, with a few eyes on each plant. I clipped each eye as suggested by a grower, and all 5 plants are established and growing a ton now. I can't wait to see some blooms!
Negative AmySue74
Pavilion, NY
May 1, 2017
Last year I ordered a Marilyn Monroe Rose from them..I did NOT receive a Marilyn Monroe Rose I instead received a plain ol' yellow Rose. The Marilyn Monroe Rose is like a soft peach color rose. I contacted them right away & they wanted pictures, I provided. them..They then tell me that next year, meaning this year I would receive a replacement of the actual correct rose I ordered. I politely reminded them {because I would like to get what I paid for}, they told me I would receive the replacement the mid to late April, well here it is May 1st and I have no rose, and to top it off all of my roses I bought are starting to grow, and the WRONG one they sent me isn't even doing anything, it really never did much last year but bloom two flowers....Never will I EVER recommend nor purchase from them again! BTW I contacted them again this morning and am waiting a reply at the moment...
Negative kingxmasgrinch
Jefferson, GA
April 19, 2017
I purchased the St. Patrick's Day rose. My first purchase from Edmunds' Roses. St Pat's Day is my birthday, so there was a reason I wanted that specific rose. It arrived in March, but here in Georgia, we had a very mild winter/early spring, so it was warm outside. The bare plant was huge and arrived in a bag of dirt. After initial care of the plant upon arrival, I had it in a pot for about 2 weeks. Once the weather averaged 80 degrees, I planted it outside. I have 17 rose bushes that thrive. This one never leafed or grew, the ends just turned black.When I called Edmunds, they said the plant was sold out and I could either get a credit for another rose or get another St Patrick's Day rose next year. They have my $30 and I have a dead rose plant, that is pretty much how it ended up. I didnt want another rose and I didnt want to wait a year to get my St Pats rose. So I basically got scammed. I will NEVER buy from there again. Ever
Positive Meeerouw
Van Buren, AR
March 27, 2017
I don't understand why anyone has a negative comment about Edmonds roses, I just received my latest shipment (in Feb.) And, because we have had such a super mild Winter, promptly planted them (they have to be put in huge pots due to a nasty vole problem) and today I counted 23 new shoots on the 'Black Baccara' and 29 on the 'Big Purple'. I received a credit for $10 on the 'Black Night' because, as noted by Edmonds, " the rootstock was not to their standard". This credit was sent by Edmonds, not at my request. Barring anything catastrophic happening, so far all the roses I have received, both this year and last, have been and are performing fantastically. So far I would be hard put to it to say anything negative about either the shipping, quality or customer service.
Negative Rwbowle
Dickinson, TX
October 16, 2015
Edmunds gets an A+ in customer service and I used to recommend them to everyone I knew. However, something has happened to their quality of roses over the past couple of years. I have bought probably 150+ roses from them over the past 3 years and I have been disappointed with the quality to the point that I have moved on from them. In fact, this previous season, I didn't even bother calling them to replace a lot of the roses that died or severely underperformed. The most frustrating part for me is not the money, but the waste of energy and time. The other nurseries I buy from do not seem to have the same issues so I have turned to them even if it costs me a little more. I hope they get back to where they once were. I will miss them.
Positive Punk63
Garrettsville, OH
June 21, 2015
I read the reviews and wasn't sure if I should order from them, but they were the only one that carried both the roses (Blanc Double De Coubert and Zephirine Droughin) I wanted and a reasonable price.

I couldn't have been more happier! Both were very nice size root stocks and they arrived at the right time around late May. Blanc Double De Coubet is already blooming!
Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
May 4, 2015
I could not be more pleased with the plants I received, my interactions with and the support received from this company. They offer the same old-fashioned, no questions asked support that I had been used to receiving decades ago but has become very hard to find with most large nurseries today. I placed a sizable order of about 10 rose bushes and 8 Hydrangeas. All the plants I ordered were received in good and healthy condition. One rose bush did not respond well and one Hydrangea arrived with some sprigs of green but had declined after I received it. This was possibly due to my own overwatering or that they just didn't make it through their winter dormancy. In either case, they were replaced without question with nice, healthy plants and at no cost to me. The rose bushes were nicer than anything I had received from David Austin roses in the past 30 years of dealing with them. All of my business will be going to Edmund's Roses from now on. I appreciate their people and the trustworthy, considerate way that they conduct business. Thank you Edmund's for making my plant ordering worry free!
Negative cynthia94941
Tamalpais-Homestead Valley, CA
April 26, 2015
Posted on February 19, 2015, updated April 26, 2015
When the Edmunds family owned Edmunds Roses, I absolutely loved being able to call and chat when I was being indecisive about which roses to get. The roses I got were always healthy. Once or twice I got a rose that didn\'t have three healthy canes, and they replaced them immediately based solely on my word.

Now it\'s a hugely different story. The catalog looks the same but the company that owns the name now is in Minnesota, not Oregon, and appears not to grow its on roses (buying them from wholesalers). No advice available.

Edmunds had all three of the roses I wanted, so to reduce shipping expenses I decided to order three roses from them for delivery in the winter of 2014. All three arrived with severe frost damage. My word was not considered reliable, so I had to take pictures of them and send the pictures. They\'d sold out of one of the roses, but said they would replace the other two. When the replacement roses arrived, only one was acceptable. The other was, again, severly frost-damaged. Again, I had to send a picture and then argue with them about whether it was damaged enough to warrant a replacement. At that point, it was too late to try again and too late to order them elsewhere. So, I had to spend a year with an empty hole in two very prominent places in my rose garden.

In November 2014, I tried to place an online order for the replacement roses, but the credit voucher they\'d given me didn\'t cover about $6 of the shipping costs. I called and placed the order. Everything seemed fine except that it is now a month after the roses should have arrived (I\'m in California) and I haven\'t heard a word. I wrote them an e-mail today. We\'ll see what they have to say.
On April 26th, 2015, cynthia94941 added the following:

So, clearly the company understands it has problems. After my negative post here, I got a call from a newly hired PR person who was very apologetic. He said he'd look into why my roses hadn't shipped. I reminded him that the order was placed in November and that both roses were replacements for the frost-damaged ones from last year. He sent me a generous gift certificate for my troubles.

I would like to say that this story has a happy ending. It doesn't. A couple of weeks later--mid-March, not optimal for coastal California--my roses arrived. The Climbing Eden was what I ordered--a decent-quality bareroot rose. The Beverly, though, wasn't a bareroot at all but rather a skinny little cutting in a 5" pot. I was seething. You'd think they could deliver a healthy bareroot rose on the THIRD ATTEMPT. I have not had good luck with roses bought as cuttings, but I'll see how this does. If I have to replace it I will not use my gift certificate because I have zero faith in roses from Edmunds.
Company representative comment on February 25, 2015:
On Feb 25, 2015 5:41 PM, Edmunds\' Roses responded with:

Hello Cynthia,
I am very sorry to hear of the experience you have had. As for Edmunds we are located in Randolph, WI as listed on our catalogs. When Edmunds was purchased they were using wholesalers for roses. These are the same wholesalers and roses to this day.
As for the pictures I am sorry this came off as distrusting. There are times we do ask for pictures not because we don't believe our customers but so we can improve where we need to. In your case the request for the pictures was not from disbelief but so we could see how extensive the frost damage was. This then can let us know if just adding more packaging could resolve the problem, different packing altogether, boxes, etc...
As for the credit voucher, shipping, and other problems, these are very concerning to me and I will contact you directly to work on a acceptable resolution for you.

Aron Hill
Contact Center Manager

Neutral Pattyw5
La Salle, IL
March 4, 2015
I hope this is not the end of an era for Edmunds. I have only ordered own root roses from them and these roses have been great.

Since their bare roots have been coming from Weeks Wholesale Rose Nursery. The news is getting worse. Weeks are now owed by Indiana based Gardens Alive Inc. This is not good news for Edmunds.

Should this company not survive I will truly miss this source for good own root roses.
Negative warmeje
Longview, WA
February 26, 2015
When Edmonds Roses was located in Oregon, I ordered many roses from them and even visited their test garden and store. The roses were always No. 1 grade roses. When they sold out and after I had submitted an order, the order was fulfilled by Weeks Roses. I thought it was some kind of joke. The roses I got from Weeks were not just weak, they were trash. They were scraggly and never thrived. I vowed to never buy from them again. Then they apparently resurrected the Edmunds Roses name and I tried a new order. It just came. Same junk as before. Although I had called and asked about the grade of roses before I ordered, and been assured that these were all No. 1 grade, the stuff I got in the mail looked like it had been retrieved from the trash. If you think that I am unhappy with this company, you have understated my opinion.
Positive botanynerd
Chicago, IL
January 31, 2015
I purchased from Edmunds for the first time last year. I have been creating a rose garden for 2 yrs now.
I ordered a rose tree, 6 don juan climbers, a "gift of life"/tea, a white meiland lanscaping, william baffin climber, and a twilight zone.
All of them grew beautifully, were shipped nicely, and came to my home quickly.
The twilight zone took the longest to bloom(like12 weeks) but was magnificent once it finally did. They did tell me, they would replace it in the spring if it never took off.
My "over the moon" rose tree is so gorgeous it doesn't even look real!!
I have already placed my order with them for this year - 6 more roses. I am hoping I have the same luck I did last season with them. I am also hoping that all of the winterizing I did pays off and everything comes back healthy and happy in the spring! Thank Goodness this winter has been really nice here in Chicago so far- yay!! At last count my garden was at 27 plants, and I will be starting year 3 this spring as an obsessive novice gardener:))
I think their prices are amazing- I have seen bare root for double what they charge, and often they will offer free shipping when you order a certain amount! love them....
Positive lilaclily
Lombard, IL (Zone 5a)
June 5, 2014
Usually, I feel pretty strongly when giving a rating for a company. In this case, I had to actually list all the positives, neutrals, and negatives about my experience with ordering from Edmunds to come up with a rating, and am fairly settling on a positive rating for now.

The positives (+1):

Sale prices (10 roses for $99, good assortment)

Fast shipping

Coupon code saving 10% (this helped offset the $22 shipping)

The neutrals (+0)

Quick (if somewhat terse) replies to my emails

Received shipping confirmation email AFTER I had received my order

Decent sizes on MOST of the bareroot roses

Ordered 2 roses advertised as own root, only received one own root. The other that was advertised as own root was grafted.

Roses are barely breaking dormancy, so hard to tell how healthy or floriferous they're going to be (I recently bought a bare root rose from a big box store that I was SURE was dead as it took almost 4 weeks for growth to emerge). Not going to stress about this for now.

The negatives (-1):

2 of my 10 bareroot roses were really, really tiny (3 spindly canes, small roots) and in my opinion, should not have been sold.

Was not notified that 1 rose was out of stock - "refund' listed on packing slip, have not seen refund as of yet. I would have liked to have been notified and given the option of substituting, refund, etc. Lackluster communication on this.

Since writing this all out, and they are ahead of the curve +1, my rating reflects positive. I'm a fairly easy going person, and after years of mail order, especially on sales, I adjust my expectations accordingly and try not to be too hard on my ratings. In most cases, you get what you pay for though, and this certainly applies to my experience with Edmunds.
Neutral KJWThack
East Lansdowne, PA
May 30, 2014
I ordered seven roses from them last month and received them in a timely fashion. I am leaving my rating as neutral simply because of the 7 roses I ordered, only one has shoots - the rest haven't come out of dormancy and I am not sure that three of them are even alive. We will see, I guess. It is pretty warm here, I cut back the roses I already had in my garden at the beginning of May and they are already blooming like gang busters. I do know that I can't expect them to rev up that quickly a few weeks after they have been planted since they are bareroot - however, I expected some growth by now, some sign that they are alive. I will be back to update, but as of yet I am not impressed.
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
May 6, 2014
Posted on June 17, 2010, updated May 6, 2014
Posted on October 7, 2008, updated June 17, 2010
I have 2 edmunds roses in my garden now. This is their second year and they are doing quite well. It did take them a year to produce.

I do have a problem with Edmunds in that I have had 2 bare root roses that never grew. But, Edmunds never gave me a problem and gave me a credit slip to spend on another rose so I can't complain.
On June 17th, 2010, divvajacko added the following:

I haven't bought from Edmunds in a couple of years because I had a great deal of trouble getting their bare root roses to come out of dormancy.

Well, they must have changed. To date I've bought 5 bareroot roses from them and it took me 2 weeks and they are growing like troupers. I am more than satisfied with my purchase. I will look at them again in the future.
On May 6th, 2014, divvajacko added the following:

Still satisfied. Love the plant markers. I have received 5 roses so far in excellent health. for those saying that the roses didn't make it over winter. this was a tough winter especially on grafted roses.
Negative saltydog44
Lenoir, NC (Zone 7a)
July 23, 2013
I hate to give them a Negative, but the downside is greater than the the upside.

First the positive. They have a terrific selection. There are many hard to find varieties. Ordering is easy. Prices are reasonable. Customer Service personnel are generally responsive.

But the reason we are buying roses is to get beautiful plants and flowers. I ordered 9 roses last year. Four died by this spring, one in a couple of months. (I followed their planting guide carefully.) They replaced one and I bought the other three replacements. At this point the other 5 were doing OK, but just OK.

.One of the four was the wrong rose so they sent me a replacement at no charge.

Now however, all 10 roses are pathetic. New growth is spindly and sparse. It won't hold up the few blooms and flops over. Two appear to be dead or nearly so.

I have grown roses successfully in several different parts of the country. I usually am frustrated by blackspot but this time I can't get enough growth to have it!

I guess I'll keep looking to try to find a supplier with the varieties AND the quality we should receive.

Negative apriling
Ronan, MT
March 27, 2013
My first experience with Edmond's was in ordering 3 roses with the first 2 roses fine but the 3rd, though beautiful, looked different than the photo in the catalogue and had no fragrance. When I informed them, they asked me to send a picture of the rose. After receiving it, they apologized and sent me the proper replacement the following spring, 2012. I later ordered 4 roses from them last summer, 2012. Two of the four looked fine but the other 2 looked rather dry. I did everything I could to try to help them thrive but was unsuccessful. When I emailed Edmond's about these lifeless roses, they told me that I should have informed them sooner, as per the instructions, and would not refund my money.When I wrote back and explained that I grow many roses and moreover have recommended them to a local nursery owner who had been looking for a good rose company and that I therefore hoped that they would reconsider, they essentially said they would not change their position. No refund. I will not be ordering from them again.
Positive jimfrankmartin
Scott, LA
March 18, 2013
Edmunds Roses shipped one hybrid rugosa Blanc Double de Coubert Rose to me on March 16. If this plant were fauna, it would look like an octopus. The heavy rootstock featured no less than 13 stems projecting from one side! The instructions said most plants they shipped would arrive dormant and would probably take a week or so to break dormancy. The warm weather and the number of days in transit from Wisconsin to south Louisiana helped the plant sprout enroute. I opened the package and found about 20 pale yellowish white sprouts ready to receive sunshine and start making chlorophyll and turning green. Judging on size and vigor and the large diameter of the rootstock, not to mention the whopping root system that would choke an ox, this plant would win a blue ribbon for dormant roses at the county fair. Anybody who wants to order a rugosa rose riproaring and raring to grow, order from Edmunds roses. They will hear from me again next year.
Positive Citro
Eden, MD
March 13, 2013
I received 2 Eden Climbers today and was so elated over the quality of the roses that I promptly called customer service and ordered 3 more roses. The roots were extensive and there were many big, thick, canes! This was by far the best mail order shipment of roses I have ever received!
Negative LittleIra
Bonners Ferry, ID
January 11, 2013
I dealt with Edmunds Roses for many years and was very happy. Last year was the first time I tried the Jung Edmunds Roses from Wisconsin instead of Oregon. First, they shipped in the middle of winter here. I kept the plants in pots until thaw. One made it into early summer, the other only Spring. Second, the plants were not as robust as I was accustomed to receiving from the original Edmunds. Third, Customer Service was a bit abrupt, they did not offer to ship later (I formerly received them in April) and did not even offer to replace the lost plants. I will not be dealing with Edmunds Roses or Jung Seeds again.
Positive w08833
Lebanon, NJ
August 9, 2012
in spring 2011 I ordered 3 roses from Edmunds'. I was quite unsatisfied with what I got. The Elina had very thin roots and tops. Only one Touch of Class cane sprouted. The Olympiad turned out so-so.

Nevertheless they have such a good selection that I was tempted to try once more. I'm glad I did! this year the replaced roses and all the new ones are doing GREAT. all plants had good root systems and thick canes and are growing wonderfully.

I now believe that last year was an aberration. years ago I regularly purchased Edmunds' roses and they always did well.

I plan to purchase more plants next spring.
Neutral clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
May 10, 2012
Posted on May 1, 2012, updated May 10, 2012
Edmunds roses arrived in prompt, well-packed manner. One rose was considerably worse for wear. I called them and immediately they offered to send a replacement right away. Customer service was GREAT!!!
The other bareroot is beautiful and already budding out!!
I'm very very pleased and will definitely look to Edmunds again for roses!!
On May 10th, 2012, clpgirl changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Although I received the replacement rose in a timely manner, it was definitely NOT up to standard. Small, with only one leaf!
Don't know what the problem is-the cultivar or their packing and quality control
I don't change to neutral lightly, and can't remember the last time I have done so, but I was quite disappointed that the replacement looked worse than the original. The first rose had black spot, this one, one leaf on a four inch plant with five branches. (No leaves were in the packing material so this obviously occured prior to shipping).Though I'm pretty sure I can resuscitate it, I'm quite disappointed with the quality control at Edmunds......and won't try them again.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
May 7, 2012
I ordered one Drop Dead Red Floribunda rose, received it promptly, packaged well and already had new growth on it and it was much larger than the ones I ordered from HLR. Followed their directions in their enclosed pamphlet, to soak them for 12 hours, planted as instructed-so now lets see how it does. I always order only 1 item when trying a new company and wait to see how they do and how their plants do. I will report back with the progress of the rose.
Positive HoustonRoseLover
Missouri City, TX
May 2, 2012
I ordered roses from Edmunds' Roses two years ago and again this year. Both times, the bare root roses I received were leafing out and sent at exactly the right time. The roses we ordered this year are flourishing despite the delay in planting and poor care they received from our landscaper. We're back to doing our own yard work. My co-workers are all impressed with the beautiful roses I bring to work on a regular basis. I will definitely order from them again.

My only disappointment with Edmunds' is that they don't carry some varieties of roses that I would like and their selection of miniatures is very limited. I'd like to have the security of ordering all of my roses from them.
Positive weaselskin
Durango, CO
April 14, 2012
This is the third year I have ordered from Edmunds. Each year the bare root stock arrives well and is hardy enough to get through our unpredictable springs. Yes, I have lost some to hard winters and dry falls, but I would blame that on variety not quality of the grower. I had over 20 plants sent for this year and not a one looks in bad shape or questionable about its start. Their selection is also large enough to keep me creating new rose beds for many years to come.
Negative snapple45
Holland, OH (Zone 5b)
April 12, 2012
I'm a Landscape Designer and Horticulturalist by trade. A client wanted a specific tree rose which was only available from Edmunds'. I ordered and received three 36" Easy Spirits. One was in prime condition and one was judged acceptable. However, the third was substandard. Although the grafts looked solid, the root mass was about 1/3 the size of what it should have been. This rose should never have been put out for sale. The grafts have now dried up and are dead. The other two roses are leafed out. The rose judged acceptable is slow and does not appear to be vigorous. One good rose out of three is not a good average. My client, luckily, has been understanding. The design called for three identical tree roses bordering one side of a granite flagstone path. We have had to change the plan. I can't recommend this company to anyone, even with their replacement guarantee. Their quality control is non-existent.
Positive Sandwichkatexan
Copperas Cove, TX
December 6, 2011
Have purchased from them the past three years no problems but one and it was taken care of beyond my expectations in a quick and courteous manner . They offer so many new cultivars that are not yet on the market and the prices cant be beat ! Keep in mind if you do not know about bare root roses this is not the place to order from , for those who do this is a wonderful source of hard to find gems ! I have several varieties I have ordered from them Fourth of july , soaring spirits , white out , rock and roll bulls eye from eyeconic series . Never a mishap always true to variety on strong rootstock and healthy bud union . I have found that they also have better disease tolerance than potted also . I am a lifetime customer and recommend them for bare root to anyone .
Positive sunsign5
Ipswich, MA
June 1, 2011
Received 2 bare root roses from this company. A little long on the shipping time with no communication. But good customer service when I called to inquire of shipping date.

One rose (sunsprite) is now bushy and ready to bloom.

The other rose (ch-ching) is starting to leaf out slowly but looks like it will be fine. Nice large thick canes on this rose.

I would purchase from them again.
Positive hassler701
Saint Paul, MN
May 16, 2011
I ordered two bare root roses (one hybrid tea and one floribunda)-followed the great instruction pamphlet, being cold in Minnesota, had to hold them (according to instructions) for a week, put them in and as claimed in two weeks canes began to emerge. I am a beginner, but even with lousy weather, they appear as ordered and so far (unless I screw up) very healthy. Thanks Edmunds.
Positive lenoirfoothills
Lenoir, NC
February 23, 2011
Ordered 2 rose bushes (Rouge Royal & Betty White) 12-4-2010, arrived today, 2-23-2011 - Both received in fine condition! Sturdy 8x8x24 box, roots wrapped in damp moss secured by twine and contained in a plastic bag. Both have metal identity tags and buds were swelling slightly. Very pleased with my purchase from Edmunds' Roses - Will purchase from Edmunds' Roses again.
Negative lisaaj
Columbus, OH
July 18, 2010
I initially had a positive impression of Edmunds' Roses, but after two orders have decided to order elsewhere in the future. My first order of four roses had one excellent rose (Honey Perfume), one very good (Neptune), one that is very weak in its second year and covered with blackspot (Moondance) and one that was not true to name (Scentimental). I contacted the company late last fall to get a replacement credit for Scentimental, and had no problems with them at all about it. This year I ordered two roses, Rock'n'Roll (replacement for Scentimental) and Belinda's Dream. Belinda never even came up! Roses take too long to grow to continue this cycle of getting a replacement every year for one of my roses. At this point three of the six roses I have ordered have been unsatisfactory- not a good average. Sorry, Edmunds'!

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]