The scoop on 'Glasshouse Works'

Glasshouse Works

Stewart, Ohio 45778-0097 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $2

Visit Glasshouse Works at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on August 14, 2006:
Welcome Dave's Garden readers. The Glasshouse Works has been in business for over thirty-five years. Over this time we have introduced some of the most unusual plants on the market. We have many long-term repeat customers, many order several times a year. We want to make a company statement here on Dave's Garden because we have noted a trend with a very small group of customers (and non-customers). Out of almost 100,000 customers over the years, very few have ever had complaints. If they do, we take care of them immediately. Recently, we have noticed a couple entries here from people who have never called or emailed us about a problem before they post a negative rating. Please notice that most of our ratings are almost always positive. I urge all customers (and potential customers) to always contact us first about an order or a concern; we will take care of any problems with your order. It does not help anyone to go to Dave's Garden first! Talk to the Glasshouse Works first!

Our customer service is constant and timely. We encourage and appreciate the avid indoor and outdoor gardeners we have as customers. You will notice many rave reviews. We are happy with this. Those who have posted negative reviews have always been contacted and their problems worked out. Often, we have refunded money even if we think we sent good and healthy plants. The customer always comes first. We receive emails almost every day directly to our company Inbox with compliments about the quality of our plants; and we receive emails thanking us for offering plants that no one else offers. Most orders go out in 2 to 4 weeks; some orders go out seasonally. Some orders take longer and we are careful to email anyone who might have to wait for particular items they want us to ready for them. At times, we propagate-to-order for a customer; and such an order can take longer. Remember, some plants are slow to propagate. We maintain most of our own stockplants and we propagate from them.

An order status update can be requested anytime on the website, by calling our Tollfree number, or by emailing us at our order status email address -- [email protected]. We very seldom substitute and when we do we always try to get the customer's okay and ship a more valuable plant or perhaps a couple plants. When the shipment leaves, if we have an email address for that gardener, then we email them that the package has been shipped and we forward to them the tracking number either from U.P.S. or Fedex on the day we ship the order.

We want to be here many more years. We thank all the customers who have appreciated our efforts and are interested in supporting a source of unusual and distinctive plants unavailable in their local markets. Remember, the Glasshouse Works is here to better your gardening experience! Happy Gardening.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive LinusDeLeon
Falmouth, KY
November 29, 2018
I ordered 9 plants from glasshouse works and have been very pleased. I collect tradescantia and Callisia. The plants were well rooted. There was enough plant material there to take small cuttings and start propagation. I read some of the complaints and all I can say is that there is a reason I prefer to be in the company of plants rather than people. Most of their plants are three times cheaper than big box stores, they ship them to your door, and they have a variety of hard to find plants. Yes, the plants are small. All mail order plants have to fit in a box. If anyone that complained and bellyached would read the information on the site they would know what to expect. Working with a public that is undereducated, in some cases stupid, is hard enough. Expecting that someone would have time to call and ask you what you would like as a substitution is absurd when you are asked to list the substitutions you would like on the order form. If you want a big plant to accent your "Reading for Dummies books", just go to Walmart.
Positive PottedLife
November 20, 2018
• They have some uncommon tropical plants than other sellers do not which is what I am always seeking.
• They were able to meet my limited window of dates that I was able to receive the plants before leaving the country.
• Very nice surprise - they included a free plant that I had actually paid for from another online nursery that took my money but never sent the plants (Florida Hill see my review here: [[email protected]] ). Happy about that as I have been shopping to replace that order.
• Furthermore *very important* when I have e-mailed/messaged them they have always replied. I've learned my lesson from the above mentioned FH nursery that if they ignore e-mails it's a big red flag.
Summary - I'm very happy with them and I will order from them again next time I am in the US.

Some negatives that I have seen others mention here:
• Yes some plants came with some stems/leaves broken which to me really isn't a big deal as long the plant/s can survive. The broken leaves were caused by the packing which in my case was only shredded paper and newspaper.
• Yes some of the plants are small, and it is stated on their website ,and some were quite large (my Solandra came a 1'+) and the prices in my opinion match the size. For me the small ones are perfect sizes as I'll be shipping them with many others so I always prefer small plants.
Positive amandaecarter
Norton, MA
August 26, 2018
Glasshouse Works exceeded my expectations. After I ordered in mid-August, they emailed me stating my order would be shipped in September. To my surprise about a week later I received another email that my order had already shipped, and I received it two days thereafter. Sure, some of the existing leaves were a little banged up, but both the plant I ordered and the free plant (one that was actually on my wish list) had new leaves about to unfurl. In particular this new leaf on the variegated monstera I ordered was half white, which you generally don’t see in more expensive cuttings from Ebay. I’m pleased with the experience and will be a returning customer.
Negative Cityplants
New York City, NY
April 17, 2018
The plants I received from this company were small and pathetic. One plant had torn leaves and another was beat up. I honestly would not recommend anyone to conduct business with them. I have received much better specimens that were packaged much nicer from other companies. I have also recieved much better plants from amateur sellers on Ebay than from this company. Save your money!!!
Neutral gerisocd
Milwaukee, WI
February 23, 2018
I have not ordered from Glasshse Wks for years because it took months to receive my orders. Granted, they were large orders and I know some plants need to be propagated, but at least part of the order could have been sent on a timely basis. But, I decided to give them another try. One week ago, I sent an email requesting info on how orders are now handled in regard to timing. Never got a reply. So, several days ago, phoned them again. Left message, as I've been unable to connect with a person. That call was never returned. So, I will drastically cut down what I planned to order and send in a smaller order. Will see how this is handled. As I live near Milwaukeee, I don't want this order sent until mid May. That should give them plenty of time. Stay tuned!!
Negative claypots11
Concord, NH
December 9, 2017
I placed two orders with Glasshouse Works. I spent over $100 on the first order and was really excited for my new houseplants to arrive. When they arrived, I was extremely disappointed by the quality and size of the plants. Many of the plants had brown leaves, all of the plants were limp, and only a few had enough roots for repotting. I trusted I could bring them back to life. Unfortunately, after over a week, a $20 Philodendron I had purchased, lost the only two leaves it had and is now just a stem. The plant they show online looks nothing like the plant I received. In fact, I believe they knew the plant they were sending was subpar because they included a ”free hybrid” that also proceeded to lose its leaves. All I could think was that maybe they boxed up my order and left it sitting somewhere for weeks until I realized I was supposed to email them to say they could send my order. I’ve never heard of anything like that and wish they had emailed me to ask if it was ok to ship when it was ready.

Because I had placed my second order before I received the first, I worried about quality of plants I would be receiving. I asked customer service about the status of my order and they said it was on hold because of cold weather. I was immediately afraid I would be receiving plants similar to what I received with the first order. I asked if I could cancel my order and thankfully they said yes. Unfortunately, even after telling them I was upset my $20 Philodendron had died so quickly, they charged me an extra $10 to cancel my order and restock the items. I was hoping they would inquire about the quality of the first order and replace the plant but that did not happen.
Positive DaveInHoustonTX
Pearland, TX
October 21, 2017
I received the plants I ordered in good time, and they arrived in great shape: well-padded, roots & soil contained in plastic, extra packing to keep everything from shifting. Not one leaf was bent or broken! I ordered 3 plants and was happily surprised to find 4 along with a notation on the invoice. Can't beat service like that!
Positive davidMS
Summit, MS
October 20, 2017
On October 1, I ordered several plants from Glasshouse Works. I received my order on October 16 and was quite pleased with the plants I received. A couple of them were a little smaller than I would have hoped, but I am still happy to have them because I could find them nowhere else. I am looking forward to ordering from this company in the future and have no complaints about my experience at this time
Positive pege9
New Cambria, MO
May 23, 2017
I received my large order, of many varieties, from Glasshouse Works last week. It was packed very well and everything arrived in great shape. Especially happy with several different Sanservieria I ordered, but it was all nice. They have many unique and hard to find plants.
Positive Celaeno
Glendale, AZ
January 24, 2017
I decided to try a terrarium with my family this year, and looked online for information, plants and ideas. I was unable to find any plants locally for what I wanted and reached out to Glasshouse with some questions before ordering. My email was responded to within 2 business days, and they were kind and helpful. I decided to place an order for their terrarium plant bundle (sellers choice of plants), as I still was unsure on just what sort of plants we should go with. I provided the specifics of our terrarium, and a list of a couple of plant types that we found visually appealing. Within a couple of days of placing the order I received notice that it had shipped, and it arrived via mail and the expected time. We were surprised to find that we received one more plant than expected, and all the plants were healthy, in great shape and well labeled, and we even received a couple of the specific plants we mentioned. What was very nice was that there was a copy of my message to the seller with my order and they included notes on some of the plants we didn't receive, indicating why they were not selected (too large for our terrarium for example.) All in all we are very happy with our purchase and will do so again.
Negative FLSunshineGal
Lakeland, FL (Zone 9a)
December 21, 2016
I ordered a dozen plants from this company earlier this year and most of the plants travelled well in shipping but one was clearly past the point of surviving. The leaves and most of the stem were all completely dried and the one leaf that wasn't dead was black (instead of green) and fell off the next day. The plant couldn't be revivied - I tried anyway, hoping some roots survived and would send up a little something. I suspect the plant was unhealthy when packaged because I don't know how it would arrive in such horrible condition otherwise. I contacted Glasshouse Works immediately after unpacking my plants and sent them a picture of the dead plant and asked their return policy. I got no response whatsoever and no attempt was made on their part to correct the problem. In addition, some of the plants I received were substitutions of the more common versions of the plants I actually ordered. They arrived healthy though, so I didn't complain to the company about it, but lesson learned: I won't be ordering from them again and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
Negative Tidwellsgardens
Cleveland, OH
September 15, 2016
After ordering 4 plants this spring and 1 was out of stock, I received 3 plants and a free bonus Hoya about a month after placing my order. Some of these plants were dormant (Sarracenia x 'Scarlet Belle') and others can't really be identified until they flower (Huernia, Asclepiads in general). It took 3 or 4 months for the plants to get to a mature size to correctly identify them. Out of the 3 plants I paid for, 1 of them was the correct plant. I ordered a Stapelia gigantea, Sarracenia x 'Scarlet Belle' and Huernia macrocarpa penzigii. I was sent the S. gigantea (with little to no roots and it's barely alive at the moment), a Huernia whose flowers look nothing like the one I ordered and the Sarracenia turned out to be a 'Judith Hindle' Luckily I did get a refund after multiple emails back and forth about the Sarracenia. (at first I was told I could get the Scarlet Belle sent to me when I placed another order, a freebie!) I'm not sure what will happen with the Huernia. Save your money and spend it elsewhere, other companies offer more established plants and even send you the correct plant when you order them
Positive catherinecarney
Mount Vernon, OH
July 6, 2016
Posted on December 7, 2012, updated July 6, 2016
I received my large, diverse order from Glasshouse less than a week after placement. Everything was packed beautifully (individually wrapped and labeled, with plenty of paper fill between the plants to cushion and prevent shifting during shipping), plants were well rooted and larger than expected (great value!), and even \"hard to ship\" items like orchids and begonias arrived without breakage.

In addition, they shipped a bonus plant (thank you!) and subbed in larger plants for no extra charge in two cases where they were out of the smaller size (another thank you!).

I have ordered similar plants from other growers in the past and have not received this quality of stock, care in shipping, or level of customer service. I plan to be a loyal and happy customer for many years to come.
On July 6th, 2016, catherinecarney added the following:

Just received my latest order. As always, the plants are superbly wrapped and packed, they are a great size for the price, and arrived when expected. Glasshouse Works also added a bonus plant (standard for them)--this time it was Begonia Cathedral Windows, a very unusual variety which is not always easy to find or propagate.

Yes, I had to wait a couple of weeks for them to root some of the more unusual begonias for me, but as always it was worth it! They cannot be beat for quality, selection, and service! They are always the first nursery I check when looking to add plants of any sort to my collection!

Catherine
Positive rddjgarden
Bristol, FL
April 5, 2016
I received three healthy plants from Glasshouse Works plus one bonus plant. I could not find these plants in stock at any other nursery, and was very pleased with their service.
Positive magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
June 9, 2015
Quite possibly, this was the most unique buying experience I have ever had, plant- or non-plant-related. Never have I had a proprietor take such genuine concern with a planned purchase. I ordered three 'Superhardy' agave plants for my cactus garden. Almost immediately, I received an e-mail reply, asking if I was sure about my selections since they might not be cold- and/or moisture-tolerant enough for my location (zone 6a, 30 - 40 inches of precipitation annually). I assured them that, yes, I really did want the plants, so I was very promptly sent not three, but four beautiful agave, bursting with vitality, obviously lovingly cared for, and so well-packed that not a leaf or a root was harmed during their journey. AND, there was a handwritten note from the owner, containing planting and growing tips, and some much-appreciated words of encouragement. Glasshouseworks just made a customer for life.
Positive twocatbliss
Round Rock, TX
June 8, 2015
Plants ordered were beautiful and completely healthy. Delivery was timely and communication excellent. I wish there was a nursery near my location; I'd move in!
Positive grik
Saint Paul, MN
June 4, 2015
I have ordered from this company several times before and had good experiences. Today I received about $50 worth of various plants. They were well packed and in good condition.
Positive Houseplantz
New York City, NY
May 15, 2015
This was my second order from Glasshouse works. First order was in mid winter. The weather wasn't too great for shipping and they communicated that to me in a timely and friendly manner. when the weather permitted the plants shipped and arrived in AWESOME shape! I ordered again in April and what I ordered wasn't available, again they kept me in the loop. Second shipment arrived and again they were in great shape! Bursting with buds. Love Glasshouse! Oh and the prices are fantastic.
Positive kleczynski
Bayonne, NJ
May 1, 2015
My order was received in a timely fashion and was exactly what I expected. I must also commend the people/person who packed my order. I was the best packing job I had ever seen when ordering plants.
Positive singla
Memphis, TN
April 24, 2015
I have been searching for a tiger fern, or "nephrolepis exaltata variegata". No one here in Memphis seems to have them this year and after searching online I found them at Glasshouse Works. I ordered it and they sent it in a timely manner, along with an additional fern which I really like. The plants arrived in great shape. I'm very pleased with this company.
Positive Gardener24
Temecula, CA
April 24, 2015
Plants arrived in great condition and beautifully packed in recycled paper so I could easily unpack order in the recycling container. Very quick reply to my concern about 1 tree.
Positive RussRAB
North Richland Hills, TX (Zone 8a)
March 23, 2015
Our weather in North Texas has been very erratic during the month of March 2015. My order was shipped from Glasshouse Works on a day in March when our weather was fine, but during the process of delivery, we had several cold fronts pass through and temperatures dropped to freezing. The plants I ordered were cold sensitive and after a couple delivery delays, they arrived showing damage from the cold. When I contacted Glasshouse Works and explained the situation, they immediately and without question replaced the order. The second shipment arrived with the plants looking great and they even included a bonus plant. I am very satisfied with my experience with Glasshouse Works. I will look forward to buying from them in the future.
Positive plantnutfred
Cambridge, MA
December 6, 2014
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Glasshouse Works. Twice I ordered some Hippeastrum Species, not only did they arrive quickly, but they were very healthy. To boot, they were nice enough to add a bonus plant!!! I highly recommend them and I encourage you to look through their extensive catalog. They showcase some real hard to find plants and their prices are very reasonable.

Fred Biasella
Cambridge, MA
Negative tdfallon
Fort Lauderdale, FL
December 2, 2014
Posted on November 29, 2014, updated December 2, 2014
Looks like a complete loss of $142.00 dollars.
After reading other reviews where customers say *“You\'re unlikely to ever get a refund from this company and it will never be in full” , *“No refund. I\'ve put in a paypal claim and escalated it to a dispute” * ”I was not reimbursed for the shipping cost”

I get a response they want me to send back the dead plants to them, because these of all the plants they sell are the “rare, oddball and difficult to propagate plants, that other customers want”.
Of 11 plants, (2) of them had not one leaf not one stem, nothing but dirt and roots in a pot.
(4) of the 11 plants have three leaves or less and are more brown and black than green.
Another (4) are very very poor in quality. And (1) yes 1 out of the 11 plants is green, however not worth the $32.59 I paid for it.
I went out and smashed each and every one of the plants, no one else will be shipped these plants for me shipping them back to Glasshouse Works
They got my money don’t let them get yours.
A robber will steal from you as many times as you let them.

On December 2nd, 2014, tdfallon added the following:

The resolution to my disappointment.

I asked them to make things right.
If the problem was cold weather and shipping, and not dead dying and rotting plants before they were packed, to replace 4 of the plants, and send 1 that was missing from the original order, a total of 5 plants of the 11 plant order.

I did not want them to think I was out to defraud them like I am sure happens plenty of times to even the best businesses.

These 5 plants where not the rare or expensive plants of the order. These were ones commonly found at home centers. This would cost $45.00 “their retail price” of the $142.00 original order. I thought if they sent good quality plants I mark my experience as just another wonder of the world as to how these plants got in the box.

Instead since I did receive one good green plant out of the order, the plant was $32.50 they refunded $98.00 so this $32.50 plant cost me $44.00.

I am very happy to get $98.00 back from these guys.
$44.00 is cheap lesson to learn to check reviews on businesses before you buy.

On a happy note I placed an order with “ Secret Garden Rare Plants ” and could not be happier with what they sent. The best plants I have ever received, including plants I personally pick out myself.
Negative MaxWest
Terrebonne, OR
July 10, 2014
Posted on June 26, 2014, updated July 10, 2014
Posted on June 19, 2014, updated June 26, 2014
Posted on June 19, 2014, updated June 19, 2014
Ordered 70$ worth of succulents on June 8'th. I waited 10 days and kept checking the mail every day and nothing has come. So I emailed them and they responded saying my order would ship in 2 weeks! So first I waited 10 days for nothing and now I have to wait an additional 2 weeks for it to ship out?!?!

These are just kalanchoe plants. I have a feeling they are either intentional or unintentionally stringing me along to the point where I will be beyond the 45 day paypal dispute window. I'm not going to wait 3 weeks for shipping. I started a paypal claim today, 11 days after making the purchase and viewing the massive amounts of negative reviews I feel I've done the right thing. This company is clearly not being run very seriously, customer service seems to be poor and in many cases non-existent. They shouldn't be selling things they don't have readily in stock! And if they don't have it in stock their website should be letting you know that you're buying something on backorder.

Very Unhappy. Won't be doing business with them ever again. Hopefully I get my money back.
On June 19th, 2014, MaxWest added the following:

June 19'th seller emails me this

"The reason why some of the orders take longer to be shipped is because of the current stage of development of that particular crop. We propagate almost all of our plants, thus the vast variety that we can offer. We are a small company, we do not always have a large inventory per plant - and like I said, the plants are in various stages of development. Some of the plants that are not ordered often, we will propagate to order. We do not ship the plants until we feel that they are in a mature enough state to survive the transportation and arrive at your door with the best possible chances of flourishing. We assume that you want the same thing.

Our grower has been working on the Kalanchoe's that you ordered. Not all of them are ready, but he said that he will ship what he is ready this coming Monday. He may sub with other, interesting, rare Kalanchoe that matches the description you wrote in your comment section - he is very good with such things, the vast majority of people love the surprises that he sends.

I hope this answers your question. Plants do not always obey our desired schedules.

Your order will be shipped Monday or Tuesday. UPS will email the tracking number to you on the day the order goes out. We will also notify you.

This to me is totally crazy. 11 days later and they tell me that some of the plants are apparently still growing to meet the correct size and others are being propagated O_O Are you kidding me? That's like selling a tree and telling the customer you have to wait for it to grow from a seed. I didn't pay for that. Then he says this third party grower is going to send a partial order (I didn't agree to that) and/or whatever he wants to send me that he thinks I'll like. I didn't give anyone permission to "substitute my order with other interesting items". This is just crazy, poor customer service. Never sell things you can't instantly produce or tell them at the time of purchase it's going to take weeks for delivery. I wouldn't have ordered if I knew this was the case.

On June 26th, 2014, MaxWest added the following:

Recieved two voice mails over the weekend from the guy Ken. I didn't feel like calling back either as both of the voice mails did not even remotely address my concerns regarding the serious amount of time it was taking to receive the plants, nor any acknowledgement that they try to sell full plants depicted on the website and then when it takes weeks to get them you find out that they are trying to grow each one for your order. It's silly. I told them 3 times that I wanted to cancel the transaction and have my money refunded. No refund. I've put in a paypal claim and escalated it to a dispute. Sad that I have to do that and they can't just apologize and return my money seeing as they never shipped anything. So I'll have to wait a few more days for paypal to hopefully side with me so I can get my 70$ back. This is one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with in my entire life. His voice mail was condescending and totally made it seem like it was my fault I didn't understand that all these plants would take weeks upon weeks to grow and that I was being too demanding actually wanting what I paid for instead of substitutes they would just try to pawn off on me. What total lunacy. I would advocate everyone steering clear of this company. I should have known it was too good to be true for such a company to have all these rare succulents and it is, because they don't!! They have very little of any of it in stock and will try to propogate per order and make you wait weeks to try to send you something small or send you something totally different and hope that you'll be pleased enough to not complain. Don't shop Glasshouse works. What they are doing is selling things they don't have and can't produce in any kind of a timely manner. It's tantamount to fraud.
On July 10th, 2014, MaxWest added the following:

Finally got my paypal money refunded to me (3+ weeks later), no thanks to glasshouse works. Why they couldn't just accept that I was unhappy after several emails and didn't want them to ship the plants I had waited weeks for and just GIVE my money back is beyond me. These guys are con artists, that's why. They quickly take your money with little sincerity or commitment about ever delivering your order.

I implore everyone who thinks about ordering from glasshouse works to read every comment on this site before making a decision to purchase. As of this writing 68 of their feedback are negative/neutral and only 154 are positive. That means half of the time they are either outright screwing people or doing a poor job. Is that the kind of company you want to spend your money with?!?!

What I realized from reading everyone else's posts is that my experience is strikingly similar to what others have experienced.

Spoiler Alert:

*They list tons of items on the site that they do not have in stock and most likely can't produce.

*They immediately bill you but then expect you to wait (weeks, months, sometimes years) for items to be grown/propagated -which may or may not even be happening.

*They have millions of excuses as to why orders are not shipped in a timely manner or in many cases not at all.

*They will substitute all orders at any chance they can get, since they don't have most items. They hope sending you "something else interesting" will appease you. What kind of company does this!?!?

*Any complaint you have is your problem, something you don't understand about growing rare/exotic plants, or is not their fault because of some delay, weather, lack of sun, etc. -whatever they can dream up that day. They are adept at ignoring emails and paypal claims!

*You're unlikely to ever get a refund from this company and it will never be in full unless you've made a chargeback with your bank or filed an escalated claim with paypal.

Spending money with this company is risky and foolish. It's throwing money away with little to no expectation you're going to receive any success. If you've been scammed by this company I highly suggest filing a complaint with the better business bureau. Selling things you don't have, and can't produce within a claim dispute period is FRAUD! I hope this company goes out of business just so they can't steal from more new customers.
Positive thezookeeper
Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4a)
June 19, 2014
Posted on May 8, 2014, updated June 19, 2014
I ordered 9 plants on 4/17/14. They sent me an email on the order. On 4/19 I received notice of shipping and a tracking number. I received the plants on 4/25. They were packaged very good and were bigger than I thought they would be. All 9 plus an extra plant I didn't order are doing great. I will be ordering from them again.
On June 19th, 2014, thezookeeper added the following:

Just wanted to add that I have ordered twice from Glasshouse since my first order in April and have had no problems. All the plants were in good shape and packaged well. Both orders were shipped in less than a week and the plants were exactly what I ordered and much larger than expected.
Negative Windchyme
Stockton, CA
June 1, 2014
Posted on May 25, 2014, updated June 1, 2014
I ordered 2 OAK leaf ivies 'Fionia' and a 'Bonnie' curly spider plant. I never gave permission for any kind of substitution.

It was shipped in a very timely manner BUT when it got here it was VERY obvious that I had been sent GRAPE leaf ivies. I have several of those, don't want those, I want oak leaf and only oak leaf. The spider looks ok though it isn't over curly but that could be just due to youth of the plant so I won't automatically call it bad though it is suspect simply because of the rest of the order that was labeled OAK leaf ivy when it is very clearly not. The two ivy varieties have dramatically different shaped leaves.

I contacted the owner as he has requested here repeatedly to be given a chance to make it right. I waited three BUSINESS days (not counting the weekend or the day I sent the email). Nothing.

So in order to protect my interests I filed a complaint with Paypal because they have a time frame to lodge such complaints (ALWAYS use paypal to pay these people if you HAVE to get something from them because you can't get it anywhere else- because paypal has a protection program I'm now advising, AND lodge a complaint if the item has not been sent by the deadline to file a complaint- don't wait) and it has been over 3 days since THAT and nothing. It would be better apparently to buy at one of a number of other places when possible to try to avoid hassle.

For all of the owners protestations that people should have contacted them and they would have fixed it right up....we see this is not the actual case. I have given them plenty of time and an official nudge to get back to me. I at least expect return contact to advise me how they propose to make it right and discuss the options. All I really want is my two oak leaf ivies 'Fionia' like I originally ordered with no more hassle. That's all.
On June 1st, 2014, Windchyme added the following:

Here is the words in the introduction of this page that I wish to draw your attention to.

"Recently, we have noticed a couple entries here from people who have never called or emailed us about a problem before they post a negative rating. Please notice that most of our ratings are almost always positive. I urge all customers (and potential customers) to always contact us first about an order or a concern; we will take care of any problems with your order...Our customer service is constant and timely...
Those who have posted negative reviews have always been contacted and their problems worked out."

Update: I still have not been contacted and it is 6/1/14 and I have emailed them through the paypal complaint process two days ago or so and told them that if they do not contact me by Monday 6/2/14 that I will escalate this to an official complaint and claim.

I no longer want the plants...I just want a complete refund at this point. I'm SO done.
Negative Mauli
Lake Helen, FL
May 28, 2014
I don't like to make negative comments about a company but I feel I need to share my experience with Glasshouse Works. I made a purchase on April 1, 2014, Four crotons Pele's Fire, three Tripogandra False Bromeliad and Sanchezia Nobilis Singapore Gold. I received a confirmation that my order would be shipped out last part of April. It was May and I haven't received my order so I decided to inquire about it. I was told it would be shipped out May 5th and that the Sanchezia was not available due to crop failure. If I wanted a refund for that there was a charge of $2.00 for PayPal charges. Or I can get substitute plants. I chose the substitute plants. They said okay order will be shipped out on the following Monday. By the end of the next week still no plants so I emailed back....plants will be shipped out the next Monday. I finally receive my order on the 22. The crotons sent were not Pele's Fire and the Tripogandra False Bromeliads were not all variegated, one was all green. All the plants arrived limp and crushed except for the crotons. I was most upset with the crotons not being Pele's Fire. Those were the plants I wanted the most. I emailed Glasshouse Works and never received a response. Luckily the next day I went to Home Depot and they had Pele's Fire there. The plants at Home Depot were properly identified and were large healthy plants. I will NEVER shop Glasshouse Works again and will not recommend them.
Negative PCart1
Collingswood, NJ
April 8, 2014
They may be nice people but bought 4 ficus trees for $12 and when I got them they had given me 4 $ 2 cuttings. Sure they put in an extra little ivy plant but when I complained they ignored me. I asked for my money back and they ignored me. Finally I complained through pay pal and low and behold I got three emails that morning.

I asked for my $63.50 back, I paid $ 9.50 to return them from NJ to OH where they are. They gave me back $55.50 minus $8.00 dollars for handling. They charge $15.00 to ship as you can see above it only cost me $9.50.
I settled for the $55.50 just to get it over with and now I am out $17.50 with nothing to show for it but aggravation. The excuse they gave to pa pal was that my order was a 'substitute', don't buy from these people there are far better places to purchase plants from like, ' Musser Forests' who are honest and do not give you the Ebay bait and switch.
Negative zeabird
Applewood, CO
June 21, 2013
Posted on June 21, 2013, updated June 21, 2013
I placed an order on June 6 for terrarium plants. I read and fully understood the policy that plants do not ship immediately, but that within a week I would receive an email confirmation with my invoice update and estimated ship date. By the 12th of June I had not heard anything from anyone. I attempted to call and I received a recording. I left a message requesting an email or phone call regarding the status of my order. I never heard a reply. I proceeded to send an email every day from Saturday-Monday requesting an update on my order or I would file for a charge back with my bank. Late Monday June 17 I received an UPS shipment notice stating that my plants were shipped.

I have had two retail stores and have been in the industry of customer service for the past 10 years. If I were to ignore customers such as this I would surely be out of business. I never received a personal email or phone call with any information, just a plain ship notification. I am one of those "old school" people who prefer to be contacted by the merchant with a verbal or at minimum email update and a reason as to the long delay without any updates.

To top it off, I received my plants (packaging was done incredibly well, I will absolutely give credit for that) but the plants do not look great (many dead/wilted/dying leaves, small/young plants) and there was NO INFORMATION as to what I received, how tall they grow, etc etc. There are little plastic sticks with names of plants written on them, but some I could not read. I went through the website to locate as many as I could based off the names provided on these stakes. There is info on some plants ("verticle growing", "ground cover") but does not provide info as to plant heights or growing widths. I have no idea how to plant them since I do not have this info. I am not entirely new to terrarium planting but there are still specimens I do not know about. I had to look them up on the internet the best I could. I ordered plants from another site that is similar, and they provided immediate updates on my order status, as well as proivided an itemized list of the plants that I ordered on my invoice, and the website tells you exactly how they should be planted (by size/height).

I am just overly disappointed in the serious lack of communication. Placing an order on June 6 only to basically FORCE shipping on June 17th is unacceptable. If plants were unable to ship due to weather or other reasons, that is FINE, but update the customer, don't just leave them out to dry! I never contacted GHW's until 9 days after my order was placed to inquire about the status. I will definitely take my business elsewhere, as I never plan to do business with this place again.
On June 21st, 2013, zeabird added the following:

My husband just informed me (as he's planting the plants) that two plants don't look like they will make it. Some of the roots appear to be molded/disintegrating. I feel I wasted a good deal of money, and should have spent it on the other site that is more costly but has excellent service and beautiful, health, LARGE, plants. : (
Negative shakergardener
Beachwood, OH
May 15, 2013
They shipped my order in the middle of April...when I asked them to ship in May. They said it would be 'NO PROBLEM'. The plants were very small and sickly. I even sent them pictures of some of them.so they could see how awful they were. Emailed them 4 times with no response. Totally not satisfied.
Positive robert_milton
Riverside, OH (Zone 5b)
February 23, 2013
When I lived in Athens, Ohio (ten minutes from their greenhouse), my partner and I would visit Glasshouse Works regularly. The staff are ALWAYS friendly and helpful, and have no problem just sitting and chatting with you about anything. Though a small facility, their selection of rare and exotic tropicals is top-notch.

In the past, I had purchased many great plants from them, but always in person, so I cannot comment on their online ordering. At any rate, everything I have ever purchased there was of very high quality, and everything I saw there was healthy and growing vigorously. Two nepenthes I had purchased died, but that was my fault entirely. Sarracenias purchased were exceedingly beautiful, vibrant, and healthy.

I would recommend this company to anyone interested in strange and unusual plants or those wishing to build a terrarium.
Positive JoeyInOregon
Eugene, OR
December 20, 2012
I needed a variety of plants to use in creating a terrarium and Glasshouse Works offers an abundance of just what I was looking for. Their selection is fabulous, the packing is exceptional, and I was quite pleased with their customer service. In every way, I am happy with this company and plan to use them again in the future.
Positive hoovman
Spindale, NC
December 6, 2012
I placed an order with Glasshouse Works on Tues. am ~ within a couple of hours, I received an email stating the product was available, looked good and they would try to ship it that day. Wow! too good to be true. Later that day I got another email from UPS notifying me of a shipment from Glasshouse. Today (2 days later) my shipment arrived. The packing was superb, the plants are awesome ~ size & quality for the price unbeatable. This experience was as good as it gets. I called Tom and expressed this to him personally.
Absolutely outstanding product, service and company.
I highly recommend this company!
Positive Toddott
Kentwood, MI (Zone 5b)
October 6, 2012
Ordered three plants: Peperomia fraseri, Oxalis rubra, and Hoya cumingiana. Very nice, large, healthy plants, shipped within a couple days, along with a very nice bonus Oxalis variety, which actually was three plants in one pot. The Oxalis rubra bloomed a few day after arrival with many bright pink flowers. The Peperomia also arrived with a tiny flower spike which has grown into a giant mass of flowers.
Positive MTVineman
Helena, MT (Zone 5a)
June 5, 2012
Wow! I just went through the comments about these guys and it was a bit shocking I must say. Shocking in that I have been dealing with these guys for quite a number of years and I am a person who is into very odd and rare tropicals but also some very common plants too. I'm also extremely picky. To see people give these guys negative comments is really weird to me. These guys are just not like that at all. ALL emails are promptly answered and they are very nice to deal with. Ordering is easy and convenient. As far as the plants themselves go, I have never received such huge and beautiful specimens from a mail order nursery! Hands down, these guys are the best and they do know what they are doing. It's surprising what some people will complain about or what they expect sometimes. Glasshouse Works has been my main source for all my tropicals and weird plants that no one else carries. They also always add in one or two free plants and they are not "trash" or whatever some obviously bitter person wrote about them. If they run out of a certain plant they always ask before sending something different but I'm not too worried as they know what I like and I'm always excited and pleased with what they do send in case the plant I wanted is out of stock. Living where I do in very rural Montana, there are no nurseries or stores or anywhere that carry such exotic, tropical, desert, succulent, caudiciform, common annuals, common perennials as well as exotic annuals and perennials, tree's, shrubs, and the list goes on! These guys have been in business a long, long time and they know exactly what they are doing and they do a very excellent job of doing it. There is no one better in my very humble opinion. I have tried other mail order nurseries but I always return to Glasshouse Works because they just have the best plants out there as well as the best variety. Where else can you get a giant Fockea edulis or a giant Adenia or perhaps some rare, fruiting and heavenly smelling Passionflower for a VERY reasonable price? The pot sizes are generous and not in tiny little pots like some other nurseries I can think of that also charge an arm and a leg or two. If there are any in smaller pots from these guys, they are huge and totally rooted, usually with roots coming out of the bottom and the most healthy I have ever seen from a mail order nursery. I can't say enough good things about these folks. I absolutely love them and have never, ever been disappointed with anything except maybe a plant I wanted and it's out of stock! That's certainly not their fault! I'm a person who will give credit where credit is due and I will be brutally honest also if the product I buy isn't up to par. I have no problem telling a company they suck but these folks always go above and beyond what you expect. They will always be my number one plant source. I just put a new order in a day or so ago because I received my last order two weeks ago and it was so impressive and stupendous I thought I was going to swoon. Huge, healthy, well rooted and beautiful plants, shrubs, vines and desert succulents. I couldn't have asked for better. I'm a good customer and I always will be. Thanks for giving me the chance to rave about my favourite nursery, Dave's Garden! And thanks especially to the folks at Glasshouse Works in Ohio!!!! - MTVineMan
Positive DenisBronxite
Jamaica, NY
May 19, 2012
Beginning long ago (20 years) I've always been very satisfied with Glasshouse Works' fine service, robust plants, fine packing, and quick delivery. Just recently, I ordered some Sansevierias from them, and again I was just as satisfied. I've never had occasion to contact them with a problem, because I never had a problem with their service. What a great nursery this is!
Positive gramkat
Watertown, MN
May 17, 2012
First time with this company. the plants were packed beautifully for shipping and they all look well rooted and healthy.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
April 4, 2012
Posted on May 23, 2004, updated April 4, 2012
I had been wanting to place an order from this company for several years, but because of the many negative comments found on Garden Watchdog I hesitated. I finally decided to give them a chance and I was happy I did. My first order came within a month of ordering and the plants were small but very healthy and beautiful. They are currently thriving. I have had a similar experience with both my second and third orders placed with Glasshouse Works. Although I do agree that this company could seriously improve its cumbersome website and perhaps hire more office and/or greenhouse help in order to allow things to run more smoothly, one cannot deny that this company offers an extraordinary selection of plants at very reasonable prices. And since they consistently include a thoughtfully selected bonus plant with each order, I do not see how you could go wrong.
On April 4th, 2012, Ispahan added the following:

Just received an order for a rare allium hybrid and tulbaghia. Plants were beautiful, healthy and well packed, and they arrived efficiently and with no fuss. I have now been placing orders periodically with Glasshouse Works for several years and I have never once been let down.

This is truly a great company with a wonderful and unique selection of plants.
Positive MONSOON123
Kachina Village, AZ
March 28, 2012
Just received my first order from glasshouse , I ordered 3 terrarium collections ( 30 plants ) plus some individual ones.What a great company.Out of 30 plants , only 1 was duplicated. All arrived in excellent condition and was shipped when they said it would.I've been ordering plants by mail since I was 6 yrs old, I am now 54 and this is one of the best companies I've ordered from. Will be placing another order this week.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]