The scoop on 'Reimer Seeds'

Reimer Seeds

Mount Holly, North Carolina 28120 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative RoseWA
Carlton, WA
April 3, 2021
I have been growing my own starts from seed as both a vegetable farmer depending on my plants for my income, and now as a subsistence gardener who depends on these plants for the bulk of the food my family eats year round. I have been doing this for 20+ years. That is all to say, I know how to start seeds.

I have been wanting to do a pepper trial with NM landrace chiles for a few years now, this was supposed to be the year. Sadly, due to the horrible germination rates of Reimer's seed my trial is going to have to wait yet another year. I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am to lose an entire year, fellow garden fanatics know what I mean.

I bought my pepper seed from Reimer because I had heard their name mentioned by someone else who did a similar pepper trial in a different climate some years ago. I thought it was going to make my life easier to be able to buy all the various seed from one place instead of tracking down the individual varieties I am interested in from a number of different suppliers. I sure wish I would've done the smart thing and looked at the reviews here first. My desire for convenience has cost me some cash, an entire growing season and a bunch of heartache. Next year pepper babies, I won't be so lazy!

The first sign that things weren't going to go well was how incredibly long it took them to ship my seeds. Knowing full well it was another seedpocalypse year, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I have felt sorry for seedspeople during the coronavirus, I wish I hadn't felt sorry for these hucksters. The next sign was when the seeds finally showed up. Eager to plant since the seed was already a tad late showing up, the first packet I opened had the worst looking pepper seed I have ever been sent in my 20 years of pepper growing. It was clearly immature, tiny, shriveled, and blackened – like it had gotten moldy at one point. I knew this seed had almost zero chance of germinating, but gave it a go anyways. Yup, that seed has not sent up one single sprout. The rest of the packets looked okay. I planted it all. Of the 120 seeds I planted from Reimer that day I have about 2 dozen sprouts 45 days later. On the same day I planted pepper seed from other companies I have worked with for years, and some pepper seed I have saved myself. All sown same day, germinated under the same exact conditions. Guess what, nearly 100% germination from the companies I know. To clearly illustrate how horrible their seed is, one of the varieties I planted I was worried about. The seed was 5 years old and hasn't been stored well at all – I completely forgot I had it, I had low expectations for that lot. Those beauties had 90% germ. and are now 4" tall next to Reimers tiny, mutated and sickly sprouts barely dotting mostly empty flats.

Hopefully that clearly illustrates that my germination practices were great, the problem was without a doubt the seed.

In my years of growing I have never asked for a refund for seed, this was the first time I have even thought about it. I love and respect seedspeople a great deal. Stuff happens, sometimes a sugarsnap turns out to be crossed with a snowpea. I tell the company so they can clean up their lot, but I don't want money back from people who work with such tight margins making sure people like us have good food to eat for a fraction of what it would cost to buy it. Seeing what other people's experiences have been with the company I am simply choosing to add negative review #112 to the list and kissing the cash goodbye. It's spring, I've got too much to do. I'm not wasting another minute on this company. Who could look at those tiny diseased pepper seeds, put them in a packet, take some money for it and sleep at night?
Negative Gbreeder
Dayton, PA
February 15, 2021
Posted on April 13, 2020, updated February 15, 2021
On March 29th at around 10am, I sent an order for three seed packets ( Thai Pink Egg 10 seeds was 3.50$ ! ) totaled out to 12.95 with shipping and all which was a bit high. But they had seeds I wanted all in one place. Later on in the day there was a "COVID-19" alert, which I already factored in that my order may be delayed around 4 extra days. 9 days later I sent this email: "Any idea when order ----- will ship? I didn’t get expedited shipping, but tomorrow will have been 10 days since the order was placed. Was hoping to plant earlier producing tomatoes as a test. My area is zone 6 so might be too late even if it ships now. But would prefer not to have two weeks just to have it sent to the post office and another week or so to have it delivered. Thanks for reading." **My email bugged out so I sent two different replies, pretty much same thing twice to them. They sent another email too at first, apologizing for inconvenience and with it saying I was informed of time when I placed order, probably copy paste for people complaining about the issue**
But I didn't expect the response of: "We will be shipping the Order in 3-10 business days (not including Saturdays, Sundays, and National Holidays) to leave our warehouse.

It’s only seven business days!

Customer Service
It has now been 11 business days tomorrow, and I ordered before they even alerted about the virus, and now see that the expedited service is 25$. And that service is just for getting it to the mail service faster. I don't believe it should be there because it pushes back normal orders, putting that money in as a bonus for the owner. They also offer a pricey insurance plan which most small and large seed companies have for free. Normally when I pay for expensive seeds and expensive shipping of 4.95 for 3 packets, I expect at least half decent service and not having some person in customer service yelling at me. This same person also seems to have said things to other customers as I can see on davesgarden. They also mentioned in someone else's complaint that other seed companies are behind too. Those other seed companies, large and small opted to close for a week to get caught up with orders, others only sell commercially temporarily. I even recommended an online friend to order the same day because of the wide variety of seed and neither of us are happy because the waiting time is outrageous even if they are behind. My friend lives in zone 4, so they don't have a wide planting time. And attacking customers is unacceptable.
On February 15th, 2021, Gbreeder added the following:

Alright, figured I would add on to my previous review. Most of the tomato seeds didn't germinate - or were quite weak when germinating. Assuming old / improperly stored seed.

Also my original comment / review was rather jumbled together and hard to read.

Ordered three seed packets for $8, shipping was $4.95 - came out to $12.95.

Ordered on March 29th - a Sunday. 3/29/2020
It shipped on April 22nd, 4/22/2020 using First Class Mail.

Seeds arrived on April 25th, 4/25/2020.

So it took almost a month to leave the warehouse - probably due to expedited orders. This seems to be a normal thing for them, even without Covid messing things up.
Closing down for select periods of time to get caught up would have fixed this.
Also getting the automated reply of "3-10 business days" along with "It’s only seven business days!" came off as quite rude. I wasn't being rude in my email, just asked a question.

The final email they sent wasn't as bad though. They should hire someone dedicated / experienced in customer service though.

Reimer sells quite a bit of seed that isn't available anywhere else / used to be commercially available. This could mean that they buy old seed, and then sell it. Could just be improper storage too.

I can't say that I would recommend Reimer to anyone. They are rude / condescending in emails, send mostly bad / dead seed, then try having you send the seeds or say that you didn't germinate them correctly. Also the month of shipping time was unexpected.

Negative CompostJim
Cranford, NJ
November 14, 2020
I placed an order in January with Reimer Seeds and received it quickly. I planted about half the seeds from each packet and half the varieties germinated and grew well.

One wasn't what the description said it would be. I grew 3 plants from that pack and all 3 were different from each other. I send them a pic showing one plant with longer peppers growing down and another with the peppers growing upside down. They never responded to that e mail.

3 varieties of red bell peppers didn't germinate. I tried again using a different potting mix and planted seeds from a packet from Home Depot with them. Every seed from the Home Depot packet germinated, none of the Reimer seeds did anything. I filled out their questionnaire, which asked the same questions my detailed e mail explained, and they said they would see if anyone else had problems with those seeds and give me a refund if the seeds were no good.

Big Deal! I lost an entire season. But it didn't matter, they stopped replying to my e mails 3 months ago.
Negative PacificaFunkste
Pacifica, CA
November 3, 2020
I've been reamed by Reimer. Below is the response I sent to having received their survey, very promptly after trying to leave a bad review on their website (they only post the 5-star reviews). So if you are struggling to get a hold of them, I suggest leaving a bad review on their website.

I don't normally join websites to leave nasty reviews after receiving poor quality goods, I just decline to buy again. But after reading some of Reimer's comments to your customer service inquiries I'm pretty disgusted, so I'll chime in too: their seeds are terrible.
____________________________

Hello: From the reviews I've read, when I submit the survey you'll just want to argue with me about how I did things wrong.

So attached is a picture with a 60-cell flat using about 25 different seeds, mostly not Reimer, (about 7 other vendors). I have bought about 100 varieties of seed in the past 6 months and Reimer seeds are the only ones I've had a problem with.

This is the 3rd tray I've attempted Caraflex & Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli. I have had literally 0% germination of the Caraflex every time (you can see the seeds whole & ungerminated in the plugs). Early purple broccoli has low germination, then only 1 cotyledon unfurls and the other cotyledon is deformed and then it dies from damping off.

I have 0% success with Reimer seeds so far. I'm not even asking for a refund, based on what I read from other dissatisfied customers, there's no point. I'll just never return to Reimer Seeds, now that I know about your business practices. I find it hard to believe you don't know that your Caraflex is 0% germination and you should be ashamed.
Negative EChord
Boulder, CO
August 17, 2020
Posted on March 24, 2020, updated August 17, 2020
Previous to this experience I would have rated positive but after last night’s exchange, I will never order again.

In October of 2018 I ordered a very large variety of tomato seeds for the 2019 season. There was one particular variety that prompted this order, as it was difficult to find at that time. Unfortunately I didn’t get a single one of those particular seeds to germinate in 2019, though every other seed variety was near 100%. This year I changed the germination method to the damp paper towel method, and managed to get 1 to germinate. At this point the germination success rate is approximately 5%.

I decided to email the company outlining this. I praised all the other seeds, and made it clear they’d all been excellent, and only this one had been a problem. Since it was my fav, and the whole reason I ordered from them to begin with, I was wanting to get some replacement seeds.

They replied saying basically that I ordered in 2018 and outlining their return policy.

This was the email exchange that followed:

ME:
I see. I guess I thought given the size of the order and that I was only asking for one packet, it wouldn’t have been a problem.

REIMER:
It was a problem when you ordered the seeds two years ago!

What were you thinking?

**************

I would have understood if they had chosen to adhere to their return policy after my questioning of it. I would have thought it was a bit disappointing but I would have dropped the matter and moved on. I will also note that had they chosen to replace the seeds, I had planned to put an order in for more seeds, even though I don’t actually need any this year, as a thank you for good service and standing behind their product.

Instead, I they became rude and and insulting. At this point I feel that Reimer is strictly buy at your own risk.

On August 17th, 2020, EChord added the following:

Update as of 8/17/2020

I found that to further worsen my experience with this company, seed viability drastically decreased this year. It was really rough just getting any germination on some of the tomatoes this year, and to make matters worse, my Black Japanese Trifele is clearly either hybrid seed or a different potato leaf tomato all together. Either way it's not true to BJT and the flavor of the fruit is bland and production is meh.

Note that I am only having these problems with Reimer seeds, and not with any seeds from any other seed company. I store everything in a dry, cool (not cold) basement.
Negative HNemerov
Bastrop, TX
August 6, 2020
Posted on September 19, 2013, updated August 6, 2020
Being a little anal, I decided to really vet this company before adding this review, since there were so many negative reviews posted.

I ordered about $35 worth of seeds, and upgraded to priority shipping. Reimer added $50 of insurance because of my upgraded shipping, something they usually charge extra for. I didn’t pay for expedited order processing, because I ordered in the fall, a slow time for seed houses. The seeds arrived 3 business days later (ordered on Friday, received on Wednesday).

I counted seeds from each packet. Packets were advertised an labeled as containing either 20 or 50 seeds, depending on variety. Generally hybrid seeds of tomato and broccoli are in the 20 range, open pollinated in the 50 range. However, all seed packets contained far more seeds than advertised. Tomato/Sanibel, a hybrid, was at the low end of 60% more seeds (32 total). Chinese Cabbage/Michihili was at the high end with over 9 times the advertised amount of 50 seeds. Maybe it’s because this is the end of the season, but all packets are labeled for the 2014 season.

I’ve planted 4 varieties so far, and germination is within acceptable limits. I start seeds in homemade peat-lite (4 parts peat, 3 parts vermiculite, 1 part perlite) with blood meal, bone meal, and greensand added). Seeds start inside under fluorescent lights, with bottom heat when appropriate. I find this controlled environment far superior to planting in ground in nearly all cases. This runs counter to Reimer's recommendation.

I’ll likely update this review as I complete more research.

For example, viability to me is how many seedlings survive transplant and grow into healthy plants. Anybody can place seeds in a moist paper towel and determine germination rates, but some seeds do not develop healthy cotyledons and never survive more than a week beyond simple germination. So for now, I give Reimer a positive review, based upon service and initial viability testing.
On August 6th, 2020, HNemerov changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Since my original review, I decided to no longer do business with Reimer. Their customer service is non-existent: they didn't respond to email, and they don't have a phone number listed. Their tomato seeds are low viability. Big Mama tomato had 25% viability, after removing those that were so deformed they didn't develop true leaves. Other seeds did not perform as advertised. Big Boy Cowpea was advertised as a bush-type, but sent tendrils out to climb on whatever they could.
Negative bleepy
West Islip, NY
June 21, 2020
After over a month of waiting for seeds, I emailed them to cancel the order. Suddenly my order was going to ship. That should have been the tell.
Bought Beit Alpha cucumber seeds and the germination was slightly better than none. Pathetic. BTW I should add that in the meantime I had gotten the same seed from another supplier. No issues with those so they can't blame it on me. What a con.
Negative gdfarmers
Parkton, MD
May 24, 2020
Currently in a PayPal claim with this company. These folks are wild. And they sell bad seed. Buyer beware.

We're a commercial vegetable farm. We grow 12-15 acres of veg and beans a year as our sole source of income. I only say this to point out that we know what we're doing, and we know when it's us and when it's the seeds. Probably $25,000 total in seed costs and I've never filed a single complaint with a seed company until these kind folks (and fellow Marylanders too apparently, for shame!)

We normally buy seed from a number of companies that cater to commercial growers, but we decided to try out Reimer because they had some hard-to-find southern pea seeds in bulk at a fair price. We bought enough for a little over an acre across a half-dozen varieties, plus pigeon peas that I wanted to try and bloody butcher corn that everyone else was out of.

After it took 48 days to receive our order, I was a little suspect and decided to do a germination test in our greenhouse (where we germinate literally thousands of flats per year). 4 varieties were really sterling, and 3 were around 50% (unacceptable), and 1 was 0% (truly a first in 10 years farming).

I reached out, they told us we're doing it wrong (again, half the varieties of almost the exact same crop germinated very well in the same flats as these duds!).

They say they don't cover seed grown in a greenhouse because it's inconsistent (what?), and apparently that also includes good-faith indoor germination tests. But of course it's been too cold to plant seeds outdoors so we're damned if we do damned if we don't on $150 worth of crap seed.

Anyway, it's probably not worth going into the rest of our correspondence except to say that they refused to even test the seed (which I actually doubt they ever do, since they cited long wholesaler lead times as the reason for the delay) and copy-pasted their same "master gardener" growing critique to any subsequent response. Remarkable they're still in business.
Neutral Zelph
Orem, UT (Zone 5b)
May 16, 2020
I wish I would have read these reviews before placing an order with Reimer Seeds. I very nearly gave them a negative rating, but there are enough positives I think to justify bumping up to a neutral. For those who want the short of it, the TL:DR is that they will do their best to fulfill your order, but you can expect to wait an unreasonably long time to get it.

The good:

They were able to fulfill all of my order, including some of the rare/popular varieties which other websites were out of stock of (this is one of the reasons I ordered with them to begin with because all of my regular go-to seed companies were all out of stock or didn't carry the variety I was looking for).

A couple of the seed packets had a generous amount of extra seed, which is always appreciated.

They were responsive to emails and they were very friendly and apologetic in explaining the delays in fulfilling and shipping my order.

The shipping was fast (thank heavens!). They shipped it out from the East coast on Wednesday, May 13, 2020, and I received it in Utah on Saturday, May 16, 2020.

Now for the Bad:

The website is a bit clunky to navigate through. For example, if you want to see all their tomato varieties you are instead brought to a page with a listing of nearly 80 different categories of tomatoes to look through. And a single tomato variety could appear in multiple categories, so if you're trying to make sure not to order a duplicate variety you have to be aware of that. Sure, you could go through their alphabetical list, but again this requires navigating back and forth through dozens of pages. Why can't they just have a single page listing every variety like most other websites do?

They do not clearly list up front that there is a one month long wait for order fulfillment. They don't have it on the front page. It's not mentioned in their Covid-19 update banner. You won't find it in their FAQ. The only place it is mentioned is when you go to check out and then they'll tell you when they try to get you to pay for expedited services. I suspect if people knew it would take over a month for them to fulfill your order (and who knows if they'll even be out of stock by then?) then they would go elsewhere for their seeds.

The popups and advertisements pushing for me to pay extra for expedited services was bothersome and should have been my first red flag that something wasn't right. It actually kinda seemed like it was designed purposely to make them more money at the expense of the customer - "hey look, you can either pay us an extra $20 to get your order fulfilled in a timely manner (what other stores do already at no cost), or you'll just have to sit and wait up to 14 days (actually much longer!) for us to be bothered to get around to even looking at your order" seems to be the message they're sending.

Unreasonably and excessively long wait time for order fulfillment (also, poor communication skills)! I placed my order on April 10, 2020 and at that time I believe they said it would take 3-12 business days to fulfill the order. I was fine with that as I wasn't in too big of a hurry to get my order. Then upon receipt of payment they sent me an email saying it could take 3-14 business days. Fair enough, it was only an extra two days - no biggie. That time came and went without any notification whatever from the company about shipping my items. I patiently waited several more days, but I was starting to get nervous. By May 5th I was really starting to get concerned and so I looked at reviews of Reimer's Seeds to see if I had been swindled, and that's when I saw all the horrible reviews here and elsewhere. It seems my experience was not unique. I then placed an order with a different company in case I never got my order. I also sent them an email explaining that I had been waiting nearly a month now for my order and it still hadn't shown as shipped on their website, so I was wanting a status update. They very promptly (within 30 minutes) sent me a reply apologizing on the delay. The email was friendly enough, but also came across slightly dismissive (half a page of excuses on why they were backlogged and I should be grateful that they were still taking orders because lots of other seed stores had closed up shop due to Covid-19) and even accusatory (you should have paid the extra for expedited services!). They then told me that my order was now scheduled to be fulfilled the following day on May 6th, but to wait until Friday to reach out to them again if I hadn't gotten notification of shipping by that time. Of course that never happened. The other company, in spite of the Covid-19 problems, was able to not only fulfill my order but shipped it and I had it in hand by that Friday - within a week of placing my order! - even though I still hadn't heard from Reimer's. I reached out to them again on Monday the 11th - a full month after I had originally placed the order - for a status update. They again apologized and said it would be filled the next day, but to wait until Wednesday evening to contact them again if it hadn't shipped by then (-_-). Wednesday came and I checked all throughout the day for any notification. By the end of the day, just as I was about to write them an email I finally got the notification that my order was fulfilled and awaiting shipment. About time! It only took them 23 business days, longer than a month, to do so! I finally got my order from them just today, May 16, 2020. I think the biggest frustration with all of this is that they never once reached out to me to say "hey, we're sorry, but things are being delayed and it's taking longer than expected to fulfill your order" or anything. I had to reach out to them every single time to find out what was going on with the order and then even though they tried (pretended?) to be friendly they actually came across somewhat dismissively - spending more time making excuses than taking ownership of the problem and fixing it. Not what I would expect from a professional who cared about their customers.

Stingy on the seeds. I mentioned in the positive section that there were a couple packets which included more seed than they had listed on the packet. However, this was not the norm and I suspect it may have been because some of the seed in those packets were clearly not viable or highly suspect (showed signs of damage) and so they threw in a few extra just to be sure. Most ever single packet had exactly 20 seeds - the amount they listed - or maybe one or two extra. Most every other company that I have ordered from usually include several additional seed than what is listed, whether to be nice or to account for poor germination rate. Not Reimer's. Come on, seeds are cheap and your strict adherence to seed count comes across as stingy and not favorable to the customer.

I can't check viability. A lot of people on here and elsewhere have complained about very poor germination rates and also mislabeled seed. Unfortunately, because they took so long to fulfill my order and ship it to me, I had to go ahead and plant other things to ensure I had a harvest this year. This means I really don't have the space and/or time anymore to plant any of the Reimer seeds I got out this year to ensure a harvest. This also means I'll likely have to wait until next year to find out if they're actually viable or even the right plants. If they're not any good then I'm out $50 because it'll be way past the time available to file a complaint or rectify the situation.

Look, if you can't keep up with demand and it takes you over a month to fulfill your orders then you need to take a cue from other companies and either start restricting the number of orders you accept, hire on additional help, or shut down completely until you can get caught up. Promising to have orders fulfilled within a certain timeframe, and then breaking those promises time and again shows a lack of integrity. It's poor business practice (especially in a market that is so time sensitive for the customers) to not fulfill orders in a timely manner or communicate openly and honestly about additional delays.

In the end, hopefully other people will come across these reviews before they choose whether or not to do business with Reimer Seeds. While my experience with them wasn't entirely bad, it also wasn't entirely good. Know what you're getting into before you buy from them, and if you do decide to, realize that it can take much longer than you expect to see your order. Caveat Emptor.
Positive sshairgirl
Cocoa, FL
May 14, 2020
I bought Kohlrabi seeds from this company ,Kossack the large ones. I was thrilled every seed came up and they were awesome .We just finished picking the last of them. Things went so well, that I ordered another batch, so I can plant again in the fall. My only complaint is shipping was a little high for one pack of seeds. But the product was great! Thanks Reimier seeds. Sandy Smart cocoa FL
Negative Mstalli
Frisco, TX
May 13, 2020
I ordered about 6 or 7 packs of seeds in mid April. I paid for expedited shipping and everything came promptly. So far I’ve used the Tom Thumb lettuce, Salad Bush Cucumbers and some tomato seeds. The lettuce and cucumbers germinated and worked out great, but of the 20 Red Robin seeds I ordered only 1 germinated and it’s pretty sickly looking.

I emailed the company and provided all of the pertinent details and received a survey back asking many questions that had been answered in my email to customer service. When I replied with the information again I was told that in the time I took to write the email and answer the question I could have filled out their survey! We are talking about $5 worth of seeds here!

I wish I had read the reviews before I ordered. It was my first time ordering seeds online. In addition the one seed that I did get to sprout I germinated on a paper towel and it was the only 1 of 5 that would germinate that way. It wouldn’t even sprout in the AeroGarden! Everything I’ve ever tried to sprout in an AeroGarden germinates

Anyway the problem really isn’t with the seeds it was in the way my complaint was handled and after reading all of the reviews I told them to keep their $5 and I would just write a bad review.

I am attaching the majority of the exchange below.

Hello,

I purchased a few packets of seeds from you in mid April. I have tried germinating several seeds of the Red Robin tomatoes and followed your instructions precisely. Only one has broken the mix in the seed started tray and just barely.

I haven’t had any trouble with the lettuce or cucumbers. Those are the only seeds I have tried aside from the tomatoes.

Please advise and thank you!

Please answer all of the 10 questions below. It should only take a minute or two to answer the questions.

What is the Order Number?

Which item(s) are you having germination problems? (list them all)

What date were the seeds planted?

Please explain how you planted the seeds and depth you planted the seeds. (plastic containers, outside in the ground, in hydroponic systems, etc)

What were the constant day time and night time temperatures inside the house or greenhouse, or outside if you planted directly in the ground?

How often did you water the seeds? (Did you water daily, every other day, did you keep the soil moist all the time, or did you water when the soil seemed dry?)

Were the seeds planted in products like Jiffy pellets or plug trays)?

Did you use plastic covers or lids, and what type of ventilation did you use, if any?

What brand of seed starting mix or potting soil did you use (be specific)?

Were the seeds started in a greenhouse?

Once we receive the survey, we will provide feedback to you on why you may have experienced the problem.

If we find that any other customer had a similar problem, we will test the seeds.

If we find a problem with the lot after testing the seeds, we will refund you for the purchase of the seeds.

We strive to provide quality seeds to our customers and want to assure you that we will take immediate attention to your complaint.

We buy the seeds from reliable seed suppliers and seed growers, and if there is a problem with the lot, we will report the germination problem to them.

My order number is in the subject of the email. As stated I followed the instructions on your website to the letter.
I think I answered all of these questions in my email. The Red Robin Seeds didn’t germinate. They were planted 4/25 at 1/4-1/2 inch depth in plastic seed starter trays in miracle grow seeding mix. They were kept at 82 degrees and moist at all times and uncovered. I did not cover the seeds or use any jiffy pots or trays.

We can’t help you unless you answer the questions in the questionnaire.
It will only take you a couple of minutes to answer the questions.
The time it took for you to reply below, you could have answered all of the questions.
Again, unless we have the information, we can not determine what may have caused the poor germination you experienced.
Quality Control Dept

Neutral rank78
Lake Zurich, IL
May 12, 2020
Monday, 3/30/2020 – Placed order
Tuesday, 3/31/2020 – Credit card charged
Friday, 4/10/2020 – Emailed Reimer to ask for an ETA. I understood Covid-19 was slowing seed companies and their FAQ said estimated warehouse time was “3-14 business days”, but expected to hear something if I was charged so quickly.
Saturday, 4/11/2020 – Reimer responded to apologize for the delay and said my order would ship that week (4/13 – 4/17)
Sunday, 4/19/2020 – Emailed Reimer to see if shipping the next day as 14 business days had passed as well as their confirmation to ship the previous week.
Sunday, 4/19/2020 – Reimer responded 5 minutes later and said “Your order will be filled this weekend and shipped Monday”
Tuesday, 4/21/2020 – Emailed Reimer saying it looks like it wasn’t shipped as they stated.
Thursday, 4/23/2020 – Emailed Reimer again saying I will have my credit card company cancel payment if no shipping confirmation.
Thursday, 4/23/2020 – Reimer responded in under an hour with a shipping number but shows label created but not dropped off at USPS.
Friday, 4/24/2020 – I waited until almost 9pm to email Reimer again asking when they will take my order to USPS.
Saturday, 4/25/2020 – Order is in transit and should arrive by Tuesday, 4/28/2020.

While I understand Covid-19 is increasing orders and slowing things down, I don’t appreciate being billed the day after placing my order and dragging out shipping beyond policy time as well as when was promised. I ordered seeds from 3 other places at the same time as Reimer who delivered far sooner and didn’t require contacting. I see they just updated the shipping time under FAQ to “3-21 business days’, and if you look under Terms and Conditions it adds, “but it can be a week longer because of the high number of orders this season”. If you decide to order from them I recommend ONLY if you cannot find what you want or a substitute anywhere else and you’re fine with not getting your seeds for 4-6 weeks.

Terms and Conditions also includes, “We only sell only to those who speak and understand the English language!” Ouch! I presume they had communication errors due to language barriers but is this the way to handle it?

The good news is I’ve had 90% germination rate with the 5 strains I ordered. It will be some time until I can conclude the varieties are as promised but so far so good. Thankfully I didn’t experience the rudeness some experienced either. The shipping delay is a toss-up, not their fault but they weren’t getting my order out as they claimed after I reached out. Charging my credit card the day after I ordered but over 3 weeks before they shipped is NOT cool. The only reason I didn’t call my credit card company to cancel was the risk of the new order(s) taking just as long.

I think if Reimer reconsidered their credit charging issue it would improve relations with potential customers. Maybe that’s why they weren’t rude to me. I was planning to grade them “negative” but based on others’ reviews being worse they fall slightly into “neutral”.
Negative doylesmith
Linden, TN
May 12, 2020
I won't bother repeating comments made in so many of the other negative reviews. I wish I had consulted the watchdog list before buying from them. What an unscrupulous outfit. Never again. Really, NEVER. So buyer beware.
Negative bemostly
Kamloops, B.C.,
May 10, 2020
I have never dealt with a company like this - almost vindictive in their customer dealings.
Because I had read some bad reviews prior to ordering, I used Paypal to place my order so that I would have some recourse.
Like everyone else it seems, my order has still not shipped out.
I emailed to request a refund as it was well past their stated mailing time.
They told me they would mail out on Monday. I again emailed and told them it was too late and to please refund my Paypal account.
They told me 'no cancellations'.
I have put in a dispute with Paypal and encourage anyone who used Paypal to do the same. I'm hoping Paypal pulls the plug with them.
Using this challenging time to lock people into orders they don't ship is inexcusable. They are using the pandemic to their advantage.
Lesson learned about heeding other people's bad reviews!
This truly is a terrible, unethical company.
Negative RiaB333
Perryville, MD
May 2, 2020
Ordered seeds March 23. Still waiting on May 2. Nothing and no emails from them. Wrote 2 wks ago inquiring about order. No response. BUT they sure did put my credit card thru immediately upon ordering on March 23. Will put an "investigation" trace on my credit card to stop it. DON'T order from this company. Does not fill orders. Know it's the pandemic and they have a much longer fulfillment period, but this is now well beyond that. We're at 6 weeks! And no communications from them at all. Stay away and go with more reputable companies.
Negative Cshynell
Albany, IN
May 1, 2020
Terrible customer service and completely unprofessional. I emailed the company after almost three weeks without email of shipment We paid for expedited shipping. I received a response with an apology, promise to ship the following day, and an offer of refund for expedited shipping. Four days later I received an email stating that now two of our seeds are out of stock and we were refunded $8. No refund for expedited shipping. Of course the seeds were now out of stock since it took three weeks to fill the order!! I emailed inquiring about the shipping refund and this company wanted to argue with me terminology regarding shipping and expedited fees. Sending email after email arguing and finally an email that said “You can’t read English?”!!!! What business manager sends out an email like that. Rather than admit their mistake and attempt to make things right they want to argue and be absolutely unprofessional. I had to email them threatening legal action if they continued to send me emails. I don’t even want these products now. We will never order from Reimer seeds again.
Negative Txbeekeeper
Santa Fe, NM
April 28, 2020
Company sets low expectations and Consistently fails to meet them.

Paid and not shipped. Yes at time of my order they quoted 3-10 business days, then a week later changed to 3-14 business days, now they are saying 3-18 business days. Consistently setting low Expectations and consistently fail to meet them as far as my order is concerned.

They are still advertising “expedited shipping for an extra fee” ($25). Basically this is “pay is extra and we will blow off our other customers just for you”.
Negative wvhaugen
Fougax et Barrineuf,
France
April 22, 2020
I ordered seeds from Reimer seeds in 2019 because we now live in France and they "Ship Worldwide." In 2019 I had a lot of germination trouble but since I didn't have much choice for certain varieties of sweet corn in France I ordered from them again. I ordered enough for three years of gardens because they charge $40 for shipping internationally. (!)

Now it has been three months since I ordered and I have not received my seeds. I sent them an email to make a claim for a lost order since I DID buy the insurance protection. Their first response was to suggest I buy the insurance protection. When I pointed out I had bought the insurance protection they NOW say I had only 60 days to make a claim. This was not mentioned when I bought insurance. I still demanded to make a claim. Their latest response is, "You can demand all you want. You should have read the Terms and Conditions of Sale before you placed the order. Have a great day!" I find this to be quite insulting. They might as well have just said, "Gotcha! You were a dummy to buy from us."

I am in the process of making a complaint about Reimer to the Better Business Bureau. I suggest everyone who has had a complaint about them to do the same. I have had good luck with the BBB in the past.
Positive Nevermore44
Hamilton, OH
April 21, 2020
After realizing I might not be running to the store to get my veggie starts this year I ran through many seed companies looking for ones that could ship in short order and came to Reimer and placed my order with the extra next day mail drop service. I went back and forth via email with them due to a funky post office issue on my end, but they were responsive and cordial.

After placing the order, i forgot to come here and poke around and was a bit worried about the seed quality at that point upon reading the reviews. The seeds arrived in short order and I planted them immediately in a standard seed mix, under lights, on heating mats, etc.

I have almost 100% germination of several tomato, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, and kale varieties.

I am happy with the order.

Negative randymontgomery
Portland, OR
April 17, 2020
I've been reimed. Terrible germination rate for three different chiles, about 15%. I hate myself for not buying from territorial.
'
Negative Paulanix
Enfield, CT
April 17, 2020
On 3/31/20 I placed an order for several seed packets - $65 worth. They took my money on 4/2/20. Since then, I've sent 3 emails, asking where my order is, when will these seeds be shipped, and the last one, WILL MY SEEDS EVER SHIP? I'm close to just telling my bank this was a scam purchase and to refund my month. They could at least acknowledge an email.
Negative Riley99
Portland, OR
April 9, 2020
The worst, most unprofessional customer service I've ever encountered. Their response to my complaint about slow shipping turnaround time (verbatim from their email):

Every other seed company is dealing with the same high volume sales as many people are growing gardens in their backyards in case of a food shortage.

Many seed companies have shut down because of the coronavirus pandemic.

We give customers the option to add Expedited Service to the order if they need the seeds shipped out quickly, which you didn’t do.

You were made aware of the 3 to 10 business days when you placed the order, so don’t complain.

With your tone of voice and response, you are probably one of those pot-smoking liberal democrats from Oregon who complains about everything and blames everyone for their wrongdoings!

Customer Service

Description: LadyBugGifRegisteredTrademark175x75
Negative craig1colo
Colorado Springs, CO
March 5, 2020
I recently placed an order with Reimer seeds for over 20 varieties of peppers. Of that group, I planted 19 varieties in seed starting medium, heat mat to keep soil in mid 70s to low 80s. Planted 96 cells in a 50% double mode (to adjust for those that don't sprout). Total of 144 seeds planted. Total plants after 19 days = 39.

Sweet peppers did reasonably well if they were common varieties. Specialty Mexican peppers did really bad, with most varieties not sprouting a single plant.

Note that seeds from other vendors like Baker or our local vendors Farm Direct or High Desert did fine.

Would not recommend using Reimer for any peppers, but especially for the Mexican specialty varieties.

I have communicated with the company and will update as that interaction proceeds.
Negative jpjones76
January 19, 2020
Zero chili seeds germinated. I tried everything. Here is my review, as best I can make it.

Is Reimer Seeds a sham?

They do not sprout, Sam-I-am.

They do not sprout at 85.
They do not seem to be alive.
They don't sprout in a Jiffy pot.
They don't sprout, no matter what.
You cannot sprout them, Sam-I-am.

Can you sprout them in a box?
Will they sprout in dirt and rocks?

Not in a box.
Not dirt and rocks.
Not a greenhouse.
Not in your blouse.

They do not sprout here or there.
They do not sprout anywhere.
You cannot sprout them, Sam-I-am.

Will they sprout in filter bags?
Will they sprout when soaked with rags?

You can't sprout them.
You will see.
Not in one month.
Not in three.

You cannot grow them like a tree.
Not after months! You let me be.
They won't sprout inside a box.
They won't sprout in dirt and rocks.
They fail in a Jiffy pot.
They won't sprout no matter what.
These seeds won't sprout here or there.
These seeds won't sprout anywhere.
You cannot sprout them, Sam-I-am.

Could you, would you, with a soak?
I would not, could not, with a soak!
Would you, could you, in potting soil?
These won't sprout in potting soil.
These won't sprout with Mylar foil.
These won't sprout with sterile peat.
These won't sprout in cold or heat.
Not in clean soil! Not in UV!
Not under foil! Try it, you'll see!
You can't sprout them in a box.
You can't sprout them under rocks.
They won't sprout at 85.
They were not mailed out alive.
You can't sprout them here or there.
You can't sprout them anywhere.
Negative farmeral99
La Canada Flintridge, CA
November 28, 2019
I ordered some tomato and other seeds in September 2019. Some were out of stock so they did not ship until Mid October. They all were packaged 10/19 so one would assume they were "fresh". I planted the different varieties and all sprouted except for one specialty greenhouse type variety (that cost almost $1 PER SEED). When I notified the company they looked for every possible reason to deny a refund, including they "need to be kept at 80-85 degrees, you indicated the ambient temperature was 68-72". I noted twice that they were germinating on a temperature controlled heat mat at around that temperature, indoors, but apparently their customer service rep didn't understand what that meant or has never planted a seed. What a bunch of clowns! Take your business elsewhere. I start 30-50 varieties of tomatoes each year from seed, as I have for the last 30+ year. LOL
Negative Passionate_Man
St-Eugene, ON,
June 8, 2019
Without Prejudice to Reimer Seeds

This is by far the worst seeds investment I have made in over 50 years. I purchased 12 different types of seeds from Reimer. 3 types did not sprout at all (Goliath Gold Rush Sweet Peppers gave me 0 sprouts. Mongolian Sunflower gave me 0 sprouts, Blue Lake Pole Beans 0 sprouts and only partial sprouting in their Blanket Flowers. What a dissapointment after looking forward to spring after such a long winter. Peppers, Sunflowers and Blanket Flowers were started 6 weeks ahead of season in the hopes of have a great garden experience this year. I 'm not a newbie, I have been gardening for over 50 years and I know what I'm doing . WARNING Stay away from Reimer Rip Off seeds, they are deceptive merchants. If I could have chosen Extreme Negative box that would have been the one. Nothing else to say!
Pierre
Negative tharlan
Greenleaf, KS
April 5, 2019
I ordered tomatoe and pepper seed. Shipping was unreasonably slow. Seed germination was terrible. About 10% at best, from 2 packs of tomatoes I got 4 plants, the peppers were just as bad, from 30 some seeds I have 3 plants. Never again.....
Negative Adriana0718
Aberdeen, MD
August 30, 2018
I purchased lemon balm, chamomile and sage seeds from them and out of 10 seeds each, only one or 2 of each germinated. In addition, the lemon balm turned out to be some kind of weed and the sage looks like thyme, not sage. I'm very disappointed and will not purchase from them in the future
Negative Basil989
Pueblo, CO (Zone 5b)
June 25, 2018
Posted on June 18, 2018, updated June 25, 2018
I began ordering from Reimer in 2017. I placed three orders between then, totaling around $100 and over 40 different kinds of seeds. I went to them because they had specific kinds of unique peppers I wanted and I liked the unusual (to me) things they had- peanuts, cotton, tobacco, etc.

The thing is in the last year I have grown immensely as a gardener. The incredibly low seed germination rates I had last year I chalked up to my own incompetence. But this year, there are no excuses left. Seeds from Reimer's competitors are giving me nearly 100% success rates. Yet, I have so many packets from Reimer that haven't popped even one seed still (peppercorn, phlox, lupine, catgrass!, lollo rosa lettuce, paw paw tree (after proper strat), corn salad). Then others, like pink banana squash, only had two from the whole packet germinate. This clearly isn't on me anymore, if it ever was.

Add to that the highest shipping cost of all the other seed companies I use (mostly small heirloom seed suppliers) and packaging with no instructions and I just had to stop using Reimer.

(Yeah, I really want my phone out to double-check instructions when I'm outside in the water and dirt)

If their quality, shipping, and packaging were better they would no doubt be my number 1 supplier, no questions asked. Their selection is really diverse and interesting, almost worth the shipping. But not if nothing will grow.
On June 25th, 2018, Basil989 added the following:

Editing to add: Through a total random accident (posted a picture of my plant to Reddit) I learned today that Reimer sold me a dangerously mislabeled seed.

A kind stranger on Reddit pointed out to me that my plant isn't actually huckleberry, but "garden huckleberry" (a.k.a wonderberry), a member of the nightshade family whose berries when green are poisonous. On Reimer Seeds it is just called "Huckleberry".

Our animals have been around these berries unsupervised. This could have had a much worse outcome. Though the correct Latin name was listed, I would argue that the average customer, like my husband who picked these seeds out, is going to take at face value that a seed is what it says it is via its common name. Most people do not know the Latin names for plants. In comparison I found these seeds for sale on a competitor's website and it had the correct name and warnings.

I do not trust Reimer Seeds as a company and I will NEVER purchase seeds from them again.
Negative Meenchen
Niagara,
June 14, 2018
Shipping rates and speed were fine considering that I am in Canada.
I ordered several kinds of tomato seeds based upon their resistance to late blight, as well as one Jalapeno.
The germination rate was awful. Some seeds failed to germinate at all. One tomato, Eva Purple Ball, did germinate but every one of the 5 was sickly and failed to thrive. When the Jalapeno seeds didn't germinate, I resorted to one of my older seed packets (different company) from 2015 and guess what, they germinated well.
Are Reimer Seeds selling old seeds?
Positive cabindreamer
Boise, ID
April 13, 2018
I ordered 4 packets of cucumber seeds on March 23, 2018 and received my order a week later. I got 100% germination when I started the seeds in peat pellets indoors. I will definitely purchase from Reimer Seeds again.
Positive gregislost
Delhi, NY (Zone 5b)
January 29, 2018
Posted on January 29, 2018, updated January 29, 2018
Posted on January 22, 2018, updated January 29, 2018
Posted on January 17, 2018, updated January 22, 2018
Posted on January 13, 2018, updated January 17, 2018
Posted on January 13, 2018, updated January 13, 2018
I will be continually updating this review. I will also be writing a comprehensive article this spring reviewing many seed companies and will post information online for everyone. I will cover prices, seed quantities, shipping costs, time from order to delivery, germination rates, cost per seed vs cost per plant (based on seed cost, and germination), customer service, and more.

This first review is regarding shipping.

Shipping is UNREASONABLY SLOW.

I placed my order on December 30th, I placed all my seed orders on or after that date from several companies and Reimer Seeds is the only one yet to ship as of January 13th. Most of the seed orders from other companies have even arrived at this point. It would be slow but reasonable if there was communication from the company explaining delays. This is sad because they have a great selection of seeds but slow shipping makes it prohibitive if you are ordering and hoping to start your seeds within a few weeks such as in my case.
On January 13th, 2018, gregislost added the following:

Also, I forgot to mention. Customer service is HORRIBLE. I sent 2 messages and have not received any replies even after weeks of waiting.
On January 17th, 2018, gregislost changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Seeds have been shipped, customer service is now responsive, they apologize for being behind on shipments.

Package should arrive soon.
On January 22nd, 2018, gregislost changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

All seed packs arrived a couple of days ago. All were newly packages. I also received an email from them apologizing orders being processed slow. Actually Reimer was not the slowest, Burpee was the slowest this year out of 8 seed companies I ordered from!

I will be grading the germination next, to be fair I went out of my way to strictly follow their instructions. I will update this in a couple of weeks.
On January 29th, 2018, gregislost changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Back to negative.

Several varieties did not germinate, poor germination on a couple of others. I very strictly followed their planting instructions.

I am awaiting a reply to my email, if they rectify the situation I will change this review again.
On January 29th, 2018, gregislost changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Very prompt refund without any questions asked. I am very satisfied with their handling of the situation and will order from them again in the future.
Neutral Bhood193
Edmond, OK
August 26, 2017
So I'm a 2nd year veggie gardener and this year was the first year I ordered seeds online... I was pretty novice at researching the viable seed companies on the net.. before researching I had ordered some Count Dracula pepper seeds from Riemer Seeds... at this point it's almost the end of the season and I wanted a cool indoor pepper since I have the artificial lighting to do so. Anyway, about two to three days after ordering it finally hit to see if there were any comments or reviews about the company. Sure enough, all I saw were NEGITIVE reviews about poor germination rates, wrong seeds shipped and poor customer service... uh oh... not good... so I suck it up and pray for the best. Upon first notice of the seeds when they arrived about 6 business days after ordering, they looked a bit darker and discolored than normal pepper seeds. They looked more tanish-brown color than a white/creamish brown... nervously I of course I sow anyway. About 8 days after planting 4 seeds, 1 has sprouted! Woo! Anyway, since that one has sprouted my anxiety has decreased a little bit but still waiting on the rest to pop.. not to worried about it though because I only need one :) There is still a chance I got the wrong seeds that were labeled Count Dracula, but I won't know that for a little longer lol. So as of this moment, my rating is neutral. If things go well, I will bump it up to positive. If things don't go well.... then I guess I'll fall in the norm of every other person who has ordered from Reimers...
Negative just_a_guy
Morgan Hill, CA
July 3, 2017
Posted on January 19, 2017, updated July 3, 2017
Reimer Seeds lacks basic professional courtesy in how they handle their customers. Bad attitude from customer service. As a first time customer, I was appalled by their response to my email inquiry 01/19/2017. I wrote:

"Hello-

Please direct this email to whom it concerns.

I believe you overcharged me for shipping on my order and I would appreciate
a credit/partial refund. I was charged $13.25 shipping on my order when in
fact, according to the USPS, actual (retail) shipping charges should be no
more than $3.78, see attachment. Reimer Seeds overcharged me $9.47.

You are charging 3 1/2 times as necessary for shipping.

This doesn't feel right or honest to me and discourages ordering again in
the future.

I can understand profiting from selling seeds, but not from the postage to
send them. Packaging envelope and "handling" costs should be built into the
price of your products and doesn't justify charging an additional $9.47...

Sincerely, "

-------------Their Response-------------

"First of all you placed the order on January 9, 2017 and today is January
19, 2017, ten days after you placed the order.

Sorry that is the shipping fees, if you thought the shipping fees were too
high you shouldn't have completed the order. If you read the Terms &
Conditions of Sale, which you read and agreed to, it says the shipping fees
just don't include postage. (see below)

No refund is forthcoming.

Customer Service"
________________________________________

According to their website and shipping label, Reimer Seeds is based out of Saint Leonard, MD

On July 3rd, 2017, just_a_guy added the following:

Update: Seed not germinating. I planted over 200 'Red Kuri' winter squash seeds in propagation tray with heat mat and NOT ONE SEED GERMINATED. No problem with the winter squash seeds obtained from other vendors. Again, Reimer Seeds is selling bad/old seed that does not germinate.
Negative walleyemick
Fruita, CO
March 9, 2017
9 March 2017
walleyemick

I ordered 4 different types of tomato seeds 45 days ago.
They arrived promptly. Three weeks ago I put them in Jiffy Pots with distilled water and placed them on a seedling heat mat. I did the same with seeds from Burpees. Out of the 70 Reimer seeds not a single seed germinated. All of the Burpee seeds geminated. I tried to contact Reimer Seeds and received no response. The BBB said they are out of business. If you come across Reimer Seeds on eBay avoid them at all costs. Read all the other reviews and you will understand why.
Negative BlackCreek
Mechanicsville, VA
February 9, 2017
I can only use untreated seeds and preferably Organic, but MUST be untreated. The seeds I ordered(5lbs of them) were treated. The description mentioned nothing of treatments. I emailed them since they dont list a phone number (RED FLAG), and they said it "clearly stated treated seeds". well, I looked and looked and finally found some icon in the corner with the treatment's logo. Nothing in the actual product description. Told them I was sending them back and they said to read "terms and conditions" all sales final. So.... $75 worth of trash. I can't use them.
Negative rocco_sima
Kingston, NH
July 13, 2016
First time ordering from this company. They had a tomato variety I couldn't find anywhere else. Prices were good so I ordered a few more seed packets.
I had no germination with one tomato and another was poor. Wrote to complain and they send back a ridiculously long questionnaire. I've been buying sees for over 40 years. Never had a seed company give me the third degree over a lousy 2 packet refund or any refund for that matter. Never got a response back from them. Now that the garden is starting to kick and plants are fruiting up I notice that the other tomatoes and lettuce I ordered are not the same variety as what's on the packet label. It's not worth the trouble to get a refund but I'll never buy from them again. I doubt I'd even take a freebie from then because I'd have no idea what I was getting!
Negative Hopeful4ky
Shepherdsville, KY
May 16, 2016
I ordered from them last week and didn't recieve my package. Because I didn't pay extra for insurance they won't replace my order. I won't order from them ever again. I don't like feeling like I've been ripped off $25! If you want to continue to have customers then you make it right.
Negative waldenj
Olathe, KS
April 19, 2016
had a 0% germination rate with a particular tomato seed (I had no problems with any other varieties) Informed Reimer Seed within the 120 day money back guarantee period. They proceeded to ask a multitude of questions trying to replicate the problem. After waiting 12-13 days I contacted them wondering whats going on. They admitted their results were poor, and tried to claim I was out of my 120 day money back guarantee period. They only wanted to offer me a credit toward a future purchase. I had to correct them by pointing out that I WAS still within my 120 day period, and that I wanted a refund or a replacement package of seeds. Finally had to threaten them with freezing the original purchase amount (benefits of Paypal !) before I got results. Issue finally resolved with a refund, but I have now lost 6 weeks of pre-season growth, dont have the variety I wanted, and they put me through weeks of frustration. Buyer beware! In my opinion, this is bottom of the barrel customer service and I will certainly take my future business elsewhere.
Negative Grunewald
Saint Hedwig, TX
February 19, 2016
Ordered seed from Reimers before, no problems. Ordered seed on 2-6-16, expedited, paid $72 for seed. Received delivery on 2-10-16, but order was for someone else. Sent message to their customer service twice now, and no response. Sent an email to their email address with complaint about the situation. Hopefully they will respond. Had read all the negative comments before, but had good results. Guess I went to the well once too often. Now getting late to plant seed, want them in the ground around March 15, won't happen now. This really sucks.