Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

The scoop on 'Brent & Becky's Bulbs'

Brent & Becky's Bulbs

Green Star: Good Brent & Becky's Bulbs is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

7900 Daffodil Lane
Gloucester, Virginia 23061 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Company Comment, posted on January 5, 2010:
Brent and Becky's is a 3rd and 4th generation flower bulb company, specializing in an extensive selection of unique bulb finds! As a Garden Watchdog TOP 5 in both Spring/Fall and Summer flowering bulbs, we are your "tried and true" source for superior quality bulbs and customer service! Visit our newly redesigned website for 2010 and easily browse through our extensive selection of bulbs as well as tools, supplements, books, information, home accessories, videos, podcasts and more! You can find us at http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral GardenBits
La Center, WA
August 13, 2019
I can't speak for their bulbs, though they do have a very nice variety available. I ended up cancelling my order, which was quick and easy to do over the phone.

The reason I cancelled my order is that the shipping charges increased from the time I placed the order. I prefer to know the amount of my order before I place it. I originally hesitated to even place the order when I saw a message saying that they "might" increase the shipping by some unspecified amount, but since I'd already gone to the trouble of figuring out my order and they showed that the bulbs (all fall bulbs) typically only ship 2 weeks apart, thought I'd give it a try. Now I know better.
Positive knoxgal
Knoxville, TN
July 9, 2019
Wonderful, wonderful company. If all companies were this good, had products this superior and customer service this excellent life would be a much happier experience.

Many thanks to all the B&B staff who made this review possible

Company representative comment on July 9, 2019:
On Jul 9, 2019 2:14 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

HOLY SMOKES! Definitely feeling the love out there in Knoxville! Thank YOU for taking the time to say such nice things in a world where it seems easier for folks to point out the negative! You just made our day!

Positive SonnyandSam
Mechanicsburg, PA
April 30, 2019
Posted on February 4, 2019, updated April 30, 2019
I placed three orders for over 300 bulbs from Brent and Becky\'s during the summer of 2018. The orders were combined by the company and I was informed by email. Communication was excellent; combination of boiler plate language and personal comments about my order.

Late in the fall I was also informed that one order of 25 daffodils was being cancelled because they found the remaining batch of bulbs were rotted or below their standards. So I appreciated the heads up and the honesty. Disappointed obviously but stuff happens. They did suggest optional bulbs that I might want to consider.

While the email communication was pretty good, their billing/shipping emails are below average. It is simply difficult to follow orders and what they are doing, particularly when they are combining orders into one. Clearly need an upgrade in their billing/reporting email software. All text. Very old fashioned like getting a typed copy of an invoice with little structure. I suppose it works; just is not easy to read and follow without a lot of work on my part.

Ordering on their site was fairly straight forward as I recall. Well organized web site and fairly easy to find what you want. Not quite as glamorous as some of the huge bulb/plant web sites but nicely done with lots of information and pictures. More pictures of flowers planted in mass would be appreciated. But this is a weakness at many web sites with a focus of one closeup picture only.

Pricing is very fair and reasonable. I researched several bulb web sites and B&B was usually the best deal. Some of the large corporate sites often advertised 50% off deals but even that price was often higher than B&B. I bought some bulbs from two other large well known web sites just because I liked the look of the bulbs. I think I may have bought one batch of bulbs because the price was lower than B&B.

I\'d say the quality of the bulbs from B&B were higher; larger bulbs, more double bulbs and fewer shortages or dead (dried out) bulbs from B&B. They shorted me one bulb out of 300 but I got a couple extra bulbs in a different variety, so I never contacted the company. I figured it was all even. Besides, I got a lot of double bulbs that was not expected (i.e. a large main bulb with a child bulb attached. I got few double bulbs from the other two large companies).

The bulbs were packed in an interesting way; but well packed. Each variety packed in their own netting bag with id labels stapled to the bags. Newspaper was used to pack the bulbs into a very sturdy plastic storage bin (think Rubbermaid). Will be a great bin to reuse in my garage. The outside of the bin has lattice openings to allow air circulation. The top was covered with heavy cardboard with the shipping label. Everything was wrapped tightly with nylon packing cord.

I suppose my biggest complaint is how late they shipped them. They did ship them at the correct ground temperature time unlike the two large corporate sites that shipped their bulbs at least a month to 45 days early. My problem was I ordered way too many bulbs to get in the ground in a timely fashion because of rain and snow. I was still planting in early January! I eventually threw out some bulbs because of how late I was planting and the frozen ground and snow. We\'ll see how successful they are. It\'s so hard to pick just a few different kinds of bulbs! I need to work on my self control in the future.

I always love supporting small businesses when I can. Brent & Becky\'s is a quality bulb provider. I recommend them without hesitation.
On April 30th, 2019, SonnyandSam added the following:

4/30/2019

Just a quick update. ALL of my 300 bulbs came up; even those I was planting in December and January. The ones that have bloomed look beautiful. Still have about 50 or so that need to bloom. IF I can find room, I'll probably order more bulbs from Brent & Becky's. Great place to shop for bulbs!
Company representative comment on May 1, 2019:
On Feb 4, 2019 10:52 AM, Brent & Becky\\\'s Bulbs responded with:

SonnyandSam, we can\'t tell you how much it means to us when people take the time to send out a good word. But YOU! Wow! Thank you for taking your time to submit not only wonderful comments but also in such detail!

Reviewing your review, 3rd paragraph, we are using an old system. It\'s an old nursery database software which you don\'t find just anywhere. It allows accounting for rots, order now-pay later, order now-ship later, and more. We\'ve gotten comfy in these \"old shoes\" but we will look into ways that we can make it easier to comprehend.

Paragraphs 4 and 5 make us swoon with joy! :) Paragraph 6... yeah, it happens. We order 10,000 of something, we get close to 10,000 good bulbs, and in 6 weeks we are pulling 10% - 15% rots. We know this because we go through each order and do our best to make sure they\'re all good. When they are going bad on the shelf, sometimes we can\'t deliver all that was ordered. We appreciate your understanding. But, it does happen. If we sold tee-shirts, it would be an entirely different story.

Bulb crates! Yes, our kids used them in college as end tables, coffee tables, bedsprings, laundry storage and more. Unfortunately, the 2 big shipping companies we use have all of a sudden decided that these sturdy, secure, strapped, breathable containers are not \"boxes\" and want to charge us 10\'s of dollars more per crate to ship them. So, in the future, we will be shipping large orders in large boxes. No air circulation, not as solid, but we can\'t afford covering that much in shipping and it\'s not fair to pass it on to you. We\'ll see how it turns out.

Lastly, the timing of shipping. We can always ship them earlier if you want. Just let us know when you order when you\'d like to receive them and we can help eliminate the race against time to get them in the ground.

Again, thank you! And we look forward to trying to make you this happy over and over and over!

On May 1, 2019 7:38 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs added:

Thank you SO much! We appreciate the kind words AGAIN! This will bring smiles to our staff's faces!

Positive DonnaMack
Posted on May 11, 2015, updated April 29, 2016
Posted on November 21, 2012, updated May 11, 2015
Posted on November 11, 2009, updated November 21, 2012
Posted on March 26, 2004, updated November 11, 2009
I have been ordering bulbs from B&B since 1999, and I would have to say that the results have been overwhelmingly positive. The lilies, chionodoxa, alliums, camasias and bulbocodiums have all been outstanding, but I have to give particular praise to their forced hyacinths, which I just ordered on sale this past season, and their amaryllis. I ordered amaryllis Picotee and Appleblossum, also on sale, and very late in the season, but one of my Picotees produced three stems, while another that produced two stems produced six flowers on a single stem. My only problem with B&B is that the quantities tend to be more than I can work into a setting. My garden is not large enough for 25 of one kind of daffodil, but for the so-called minor bulbs, the quality is had to beat, and I order every year without fail.
On November 11th, 2009, DonnaMack added the following:

I have been ordering from B&B every year since my initial review, and I continue to be very pleased with this company. From tulips, to iris reticulata, to crocus vernus, to narcissus, the quality is excellent and the customer service superb. I am also happy to say that the required quantities have been reduced, which has given me the ability to acquire smaller quantities of more bulbs. The ten Vie en Rose daffs I just received, for example, are huge and fresh. In terms of quality, they are on par with the best.
On November 21st, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I places three orders this year - two regular orders and a sale order. All of the bulbs were wonderful, as always, and there was a nice touch. As I noted, I placed an initial order, and when I placed a second I was sent an email inquiring as to whether I could like them combined, in order to save shipping. I did, of course, but most companies would not have asked.

The result was that I saves several dollars on shipping. Very nice!

On May 11th, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I received delivery on a Brent and Becky \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"special\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" adveretised on the web: Pixie \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Pinot Meunier Purple\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' dwarf Grape. I ordered two, because I have always wanted to grow grapes and was fascinated by the fact that I could do it indoors on my south facing patio. The two plants came today and I am delighted. Tiny grapes have already formed. Instructions are excellent, and I have a small trellis on which to grow them.

I have always had high expectations of this company and my expectations were exceeded in this case. I am very pleased.
On April 29th, 2016, DonnaMack added the following:

I recalled that my very first order from Brent and Becky\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Bulbs was lilies, and I saw some varieties I really wanted to add to my collection. I was stunned by the tremendous value. In earlier days ordering five seemed a challenge, but not now, and I grabbed great lilies at wonderful prices. It takes me back, because the very first lilies I ordered, many years ago, were five lilium regale, and I am happy to say that through two moves, those wonderful lilies are still with me.

That was in 1999. What a wonderful company.
On April 28th, 2017, DonnaMack added the following:

I placed another order for more of the Pixie Grapes (because they were so wonderful) and for some bletilla, which I plan to grow in a pot because of my climate. They were delivered yesterday in a CRATE! I couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t believe it. The crate had cardboard over the top, with plastic ties to secure the cardboard, the plant material was underneath in carefully packed bags with newspaper cushioning. I have never received such meticulously wrapped plants in a reusable crate - very much like a large milk crate. It was clear that it could have been turned upside down, or dropped, or tossed, and it still would have arrived in beautiful condition.

Of course the plants were perfect - mine always are - but in a crate! These lovely people really care.
On October 19th, 2017, DonnaMack added the following:

I received my fall order on October 5th. Perfect timing. Our first freeze date is supposedly October 15, but we are actually enjoying warmer temps, and out last freeze date will be about ten days later this year. This means that I have had perfect conditions for planting the gorgeous bulbs that I received from Brent and Becky. I used to order from four or five companies every for spring and fall generalist planting. But they are so great I am down to 2, the only other one being Old House Gardens, and that is because they have a few things B&B do not.

The best part is being able to order in multiples from the smallest number. I\\\\\\\'m very glad that they explained this on the website. I garden for clients, and I would direct them to B&B (actually, it\\\\\\\'s the only company to which I direct them) and when I explain that they don\\\\\\\'t have to order 50, and there is no minimum order, and that the bulbs are first rate, and from a family company, they are sold.

I put in some old favorites, but actually found things I had never seen before, and am so pleased with the quality of the bulbs and their packaging. Thank you again, all the people who take the time to package and send these beauties.

On November 4th, 2018, DonnaMack added the following:

Another excellent order from Brent and Becky, whose company is now number one on my ordering list. The quality is so excellent and the prices so reasonable that if they have what I am seeking, I order it from them.

I tried some new bulbs this year, and as always they were packed with great care. I felt comfortable doing this because I ordered some new tulips last year. Their communication is also excellent that I know when the bulbs are coming and can be prepared.
14 years with these wonderful people. Many more to come.
On February 16th, 2019, DonnaMack added the following:

Is it possible that the items that you wanted were from the fall catalog? None of them are available until after March 1. I placed an order on February 15 for items I had been looking at for months but did not put in my cart. All of them went through and I have a receipt.
On April 30th, 2019, DonnaMack added the following:

Ah, the monotony of perfect service and beautiful bulbs year after year! Oh yes, I forget - my card had been compromised and these lovely people called me to update my information with such patience and courtesy. I just received my bulbs, some of which I had never purchased before (two kings of polyanthus tuberosa, nanus glads) because I feel confident that they will be excellent - and they are.

I an reviewing the catalog for my fall orders. It's great to have the catalog for the entire year because I have the opportunity to compare my bulbs to the pictures and judge whether I need different amounts. This is something rare with companies and very welcomed.

15 years and counting. Thank you, B&B.
Company representative comment on November 5, 2018:
On May 11, 2015 8:23 AM, Brent & Becky\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Bulbs responded with:

You\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve just made our day! That\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s wonderful news! Thank you for taking some time out of your day to spread a little cheer. All the best, and happy gardening!

On Apr 29, 2016 10:45 AM, Brent & Becky\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Bulbs added:

You continue to be very generous in your kind remarks! Thank you, from all of us, for your support and trust in us! We\\\\\\\'re looking forward to being there for you for a long time to come!

On Apr 28, 2017 7:58 AM, Brent & Becky\\\\\\\'s Bulbs added:

Hi, DonnaMack! It\\\'s been almost a year exactly since we last spoke, but still, we\\\'re overjoyed at your happiness with how we treat our customers! We will be passing your comments on to our Warehouse Shipping staff, as they DO pay close attention and make sure everything is safe and cozy for the trip to your house. This should make their day! Thanks again for the kind words!

On Oct 19, 2017 11:34 AM, Brent & Becky\\\'s Bulbs added:

You continue to warm our hearts! Thanks so much yet again for your kind words! Happy planting!

On Nov 5, 2018 8:59 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs added:

Ho... Ly........ COW! For anyone who reads this, NO, we did NOT pay her to say all of this. We appreciate people who take time out of their day to compliment an individual or a company. But, if we only got ONE of these per year, we'd be over the moon! Thank you, DonnaMack! Times 10! We look forward to making you happy for as long as we can! Happy planting and we look forward to pictures in the Spring!

Positive ConGar
March 10, 2019
Posted on May 2, 2010, updated March 10, 2019
Posted on October 28, 2009, updated May 2, 2010
At next to the last minute this season I decided to look for some daffodils/narcissus - I had some plain ol\' yellow and white ones growing. Then a couple years ago I decided to move them around, because at that time they were all in the same flower bed. I still don\'t know what happened, but the following spring only the white ones returned, which at the time didn\'t bother me, because I liked the white ones better, but this past spring I found that I missed having yellow among the white...

However, I decided not to order more (at that time) because I didn\'t really want to order a bunch of yellow. If I was going to order some, I wanted to mix things up a bit. Well, then summer came and other things started blooming and I forget about daffodils/narcissus.

Then I was reading the Watchdog last week, and decided I did want to go ahead and order some daffodils/narcissus, but of course at that point it was late enough that my usual places (online and offline) had pretty much sold out of the more exotic varieties (or didn\'t carry them in the first place).

Anyway, on October 21st I started checking out Brent&Becky... Sure, they had some that were sold out, but they offered so many different kinds that I managed to find ones I wanted despite that. Still there was some fear about ordering so late, because I might not get them in time to put them in the ground. Some companies take up to three weeks to ship out an order, and three weeks would be pushing it, but I decided to order anyway and request B&B ship as soon as possible. Even then I figured it would be the first of November at least before I received my order, instead I got my bulbs in under a week! Awesome! That means I can have them in the ground before Halloween.

And the bulbs are (in most cases) HUGH! I\'m not kidding. I\'ve dug up the bulbs in my own yard, and even the biggest I\'ve found is still small next to the B&B bulbs. Well, two of the ones I ordered from them are about the same size as bulbs from my own yard, so it might be that others are just naturally larger, but either way I am impressed, especially since some of the bulbs were in the process of splitting, so in many cases they gave me almost twice as many as I ordered.

The fast shipping and those large beautiful bulbs are the reason I decided to go ahead and post a positive rather than waiting until spring.
On May 2nd, 2010, ConGar added the following:

Well, all but three of the fall bulbs popped up this spring, and I freely admit the ones that didn\'t were completely my fault - I had to order a few more bulbs than I actually needed (on all but one variety I had to order ten bulbs of each, which left me with a few \"oddballs.\"), and I didn\'t have a good space for a few of them which meant they ended up in very bad spaces, and so I\'m not surprised they didn\'t make it, I am surprised that one of them did try and shoot some green up, it just couldn\'t make it in the end.

Anyway, I ordered a few bulbs for spring, and while I think they\'ll all be okay, I had to plant six of them sideways because I literally couldn\'t figure out top/bottom, but I\'ve done that before on other bulbs and have never had any problems with sideways planting.

However, I ordered a Dahlia and while it looked over all great there were a couple of the \"roots\" almost broken off, I went ahead and planted it, then called B&B just in case. As I told them I think it\'ll be fine, but different from other companies I deal with (ones offering a lifetime or one year replacement) B&B doesn\'t do that, so I knew I needed to let them know that it was damaged (at least slightly) on receipt. As I said I think it\'ll be fine, but thought it would be best to let them know just in case it ends up not being fine.

But despite that small damage to that one plant, I\'m still positive about this company.
On March 10th, 2019, ConGar added the following:

10 years since my first order (2009) with this company and still completely positive.

However, I will admit that this time my trying to order didn't go smoothly. Admittedly the night I was trying to place my order I didn't know if it was my PC or their website, but I was having trouble getting my purchase together and then getting it to the order stage - so much so that I was about to give up and just use a good old fashioned phone call to place my order. Though as it was late I would've had to wait until the next business day so I kept trying.

But finally I got it together and was able to place my order, but I thought something seemed off yet I admit I wasn't sure what was "off" so I decided to just set back to wait for my order. Several days later I get a good old fashioned letter from them stating that for some reason the computer didn't give me the full discount on my order and they had caught it and fixed the issue. Score for them, because as I had I'd thought something was off I wasn't sure what and had decided to let it go as it could have easily just been in my head you know.

Anyway, while I don't have the order and won't for about a month (which is fine) that good old fashioned and unexpected letter makes me feel very good about this company even better than I already felt about them.
Company representative comment on May 1, 2019:
On May 1, 2019 7:37 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Here's to another great 15 years! Thank you for everything!

Neutral tsfad
Owensville, MO
February 15, 2019
I have ordered from Brent & Becky's only a couple of times before and had a positive experience. The reason for my neutral rating is that I received a catalog in which an order can be placed and paid prior to March 1st and receive a 10% discount. The problem is that when looking online at the spring bulbs available, the vast majority of them cannot be ordered until after March 1st. I emailed the company about this a couple of weeks ago through their website, but a few days after I emailed I received a notification that the email could not go through. I do not know why this occurred. I have ordered in the past using the 10% discount prior to March 1st, but at that time all of the products were available to be ordered. Now when looking at the website, most items that I would want and possibly anyone else would want are not even eligible to be ordered until after March 1st. In fact, in looking at the website, there is very few items that even can be ordered before March 1st. I find this very disappointing. Even though the items will be shipped later due to spring I would like the opportunity to order what will be available now. It's a little misleading to offer the 10% discount, but yet have very few items that will ship in the spring even eligible to be ordered prior to March 1st..
Company representative comment on February 18, 2019:
On Feb 18, 2019 11:39 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Hello, tsfad! Thanks for taking the time to review us!

Yes, it is true! The catalogue you just received does mention an early order discount. The bulbs in that catalogue are the Spring PLanted, Summer Blooming varieties. And, you can get that discount when ordering those bulbs. The bulbs you wanted to order, we're assuming the Fall Planted, Spring Blooming varieties like Daffodils and the like, will be available for purchase soon. We're wrapping up catalogue production this week, then off to the printers it goes. Then we will begin updating the website and then you can order those. Good news is this - when that part of the website is back on, the early order discount for them is when you order before July 1st! So, you'll have plenty of time to read through, pick your favorites and order all while saving 5% - 10% just for ordering early. (It helps us control our inventory better, ya see)

So, hang in there. We anticipate that part of our website being up and running in the first half of March.

Thanks!

Positive jeh1856
Fombell, PA
January 29, 2019
I mostly buy tulips and daffodils ever year. Every year they have been excellent quantity with good results.
Company representative comment on January 31, 2019:
On Jan 31, 2019 9:03 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you so much! This is always our goal, so thank you for taking the time to let us know!

Neutral AS
(Zone 7a)
January 26, 2019
Posted on March 28, 2011, updated January 26, 2019
Posted on July 10, 2006, updated March 28, 2011
I ordered a dahlia, ranunculus, and amarcrinum, which all turned out well. The dahlia, in particular, was impressively healthy.

I also ordered 40 or 50 leucocoryne, and not a single bulb came up - neither foliage nor flowers. I planted all of the bulbs the day after I received them, and I even planted them in several different sites in case they didn\'t like the soil conditions in one bed. (all were sunny garden beds where very little has ever failed to grow). After a few months, I sent them a polite e-mail, asking if there had been problems with these bulbs and relating my experience. I never got an answer. Since their guarantee seems to be basically \'you\'re responsible for the bulbs\' success/ failure as long as they look OK when you get them\', I didn\'t pursue this any further. Maybe it\'s my fault, but this is the first time I\'ve ever had a complete bulb failure like this.
On July 26th, 2007, AS added the following:

I finally remembered to update this. Soon after I posted my comment, I was contacted by an employee of Brent and Becky\'s, who told me that Brent and Becky have never been able to grow the leucocryne successfully in their garden either. I pointed out that their catalog description of growing conditions was misleading, as it suggests this bulb would be perfect for at least one growing season in my soil (though survival over the winter might have been iffy). I also suggested that they label any unfamiliar bulbs that are particularly finicky/ difficult to grow. I wasn\'t offered any refund, but at least I\'m glad to see these particular bulbs are no longer being offered in their catalog. If \"education is our most important product\", as they claim, they can learn from someone else\'s mistakes next time, not mine.
On July 26th, 2007, AS added the following:

To clarify: Personally, I\'ve added them to my \"never again\" list, based on their customer service. I buy bulbs for my benefit, not to trial unfamiliar bulbs for the company\'s benefit. But given that their other bulbs were fine, I wouldn\'t recommend against them either, as long as you stick to familiar things.
On March 28th, 2011, AS added the following:

After seeing a couple of recent comments and sympathizing, I wanted to comment that I\'d definitely read this company\'s guarantee before ordering, and make sure you can live with it. I didn\'t, and regretted it. What it boils down to is that they guarantee that 1) the bulbs will reach you in good condition. 2) IF you can get them to grow, they will be true to name. There\'s no guarantee that they will be big enough to bloom the first year, and they specifically do not guarantee that their bulbs will grow successfully. It seems like this works fine for most of the things they sell, but it can be frustrating when things go wrong. (My own customer service experience felt irritatingly condescending.)

I\'d also note that they are somewhat weak on warnings for bulbs that may be a little tougher to grow successfully. As an example, at least two other bulb companies note under calochortus that they hate freezing and thawing, but B & B do not. This might be a problem in parts of the country where freeze/thaw cycles are common. Given their guarantee, I suggest some independent research before ordering anything unfamiliar.
On January 26th, 2019, AS added the following:

A few years ago, I ate my words and ordered a couple of things from them because they had a variety of lily that's a favorite of mine and was very difficult to find anywhere. I stayed away from anything unfamiliar, everything grew. and most bloomed that year. But use caution if they don't state a bulb size. I bought one crinum from them and a couple from another company that year. The crinums from the other company have been blooming and putting on a nice show for the last couple of years. The one from Brent and Becky's was tiny by comparison and has yet to bloom, though it wasn't cheap.

Off topic: as a scientist, their idiosyncratic use of "nickname" rather than "common name" mildly amuses me - but please don't follow their example or you might end up looking a bit silly. They're essentially saying that "dog" is the nickname for Canis familiaris.
Company representative comment on January 29, 2019:
On Jan 29, 2019 11:08 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Hello, AS! We wish you had had better success with our products. We're always available to call or email to let us know so we can figure out how to make things right.

As far as our use of nicknames, most people don't know the difference between a Narcissus and a Daffodil, or that a Hippeastrum is an Amaryllis, or that Bletilla striata is a Chinese Ground Orchid. Most of the population knows the nicknames, only a select few are up on the Botanical names. We try and market and appeal to everyone from the horticulturally educated scientists, like yourself, and the beginner gardener who just bought their first home who remembers Grandma's Bee Balm and how much they want to grow some. If we only called it Monarda, we will have lost a possible customer to help get started in gardening.

We're always available. Give us a call sometime! Thanks!

Neutral RHopson
Mobile City, TX
January 3, 2019
Posted on September 16, 2017, updated January 3, 2019
I cannot comment on their product, as it will not be arriving until two-and-a-half months after I ordered it, apparently; however, I can comment on the customer service. After a slightly misleading email stating they had received my order and would be sending an additional email soon ( which, after a week, I did not receive), I called their customer service and she seemed a bit confused about the whole order. Once she finally found my order, I explained that I had never received the second email, wherein she informed me that it would be sent when my order ships in late November...not \"soon\". I placed my order early September.
Summing things up...not a very speedy order processing with this site, and the email confirmation might need more detail about the \"additional email.\"
Hopefully the product is worth the long wait. I will let you know.
On January 3rd, 2019, RHopson added the following:

The bulbs came and, at best, I can give them a neutral rating: while all grew, only the most common of them, like dependable daffodils/Narcissus, actually bloomed. I gues I'll wait for this coming spring to see if the others actually bloom. Saddest thing is that my tulips grew and produced an odd-looking flower bulb that soon turned brown and, stangely, when they opened, they were actually already a wilted brown color.
Positive Fancy213
Saint Paul, MN
November 19, 2018
Had been getting their catalogs for a few yrs and saw they had some amaryllis for sale that I would like to add to my collection. So placed the order I believe it was in Aug. they were shipped in Oct. They arrived in excellent condition except for 1 the flower stem was a bit damaged, it bloomed fine. But, was blown away as to the size of the bulbs, they were beyond huge. I know I will be ordering again from them in the future.
Company representative comment on November 19, 2018:
On Nov 19, 2018 12:36 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Whoop, whoop! (happy dance) We're thrilled that you're happy with your decision! Thank you for taking the time to express your positive feedback! We'll do our best to continue to impress you! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from us and ours!

Positive carolmo
Olathe, KS (Zone 5a)
October 27, 2018
I order from them almost every year - always get the very best bulbs - this time I got 5 fancy daffodils in yellow and coral pink - gave 1 of each to daughter - she said they are huge and double - I said they always are - she asked if they would really provide 2 blooms - I said of course. I thought she knew more than me by now. Bet she starts ordering from these guys now. ;)
Company representative comment on October 29, 2018:
On Oct 29, 2018 7:41 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story! It's great that you're passing on your knowledge to the next generation. And we'll be here for them when they call. And thank you for your kind words, it really means the world to us!

Positive Tidewatergarden
Waverly, VA
June 2, 2018
Ordered from them for three+ years. Always good to great to excellent quality bulbs, rhizomes, tubers and plugs of perennials. Great pricing. Highly recommend.
Company representative comment on June 4, 2018:
On Jun 4, 2018 8:00 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Howdy, neighbor-down-the-road-a-piece!

Thank you so much for your kind words! Take a day trip and come out to see us in person sometime! We can recommend some great local eateries while you're here.

Positive TLHGardener
Tallahassee, FL
May 10, 2018
Posted on April 15, 2018, updated May 10, 2018
Posted on January 20, 2017, updated April 15, 2018
We have placed orders with Brent and Becky\\\'s for two years now. Primarily daffodils. But this year we ordered hyacinths and a few other things, too--in addition to more daffodils. They have been fairly good sized orders and we have been quite pleased with the quality of the bulbs. I liked the prices too. As long as they are fair like they are I will likely continue to add to my daffodil collection. We had great luck with the bulbs and they look beautiful. All my neighbors near my farm love the display.

This year I had to add to my order because I did not order everything my \\\'household boss\\\' wanted me to order. They were wonderful about the change. They also cooperated with me by having the bulbs delivered at the time I needed them. (We had to transport them to my farm about 250 miles north and there were some logistics with that). Very friendly, helpful.

I would not hesitate to recommend them.
On April 15th, 2018, TLHGardener changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

This year we were disappointed. We have ordered bulbs in the past and received excellent bulbs at good prices. The bulbs have always
produced and looked nice. Customer service has always been good. They have arrived when promised.

This year we ordered 300 Carlton for planting at our farm between Montgomery and Birmingham. In prior years we ordered that many or more and had no issues with size or performance. When we received them this year, we thought they were disappointing in size---smaller than in previous years. But we did not complain and we planted them in two different places---at the farm and another house 4 miles west. Only about 30 percent of the Carlton bloomed at either location. I had promised to give some of the bulbs I ordered to my neighbor but the ones from Brent & Beckys were so small I went to Lowe\'s and bought huge bulbs at as good of price to give her. Her bulbs performed beautifully--far better than mine. So thankful I did not give her any of the bulbs I ordered.

Did I complain to B&B? I thought I posted a comment on their Facebook page . Maybe they did not see it. What is the point other than just letting them know of the problem with their bulbs. And I figure if I had problems , other people surely did too.

I would probably not order as large of an order in the future given how disappointing this year has been.
On May 10th, 2018, TLHGardener changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I want to change my rating to POSTIVE--because Brent & Becky's gave me over $160 credit for the problem I experienced on the Carlton bulbs. I should have complained to them when I planted them but they stood up and I think did something fair. While I am not happy with the Carlton bulbs in 2017 (size and fact only 70% bloomed), at least they gave me credit! So based on the previous couple of years of experience I will order from them again.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2018:
On Jan 23, 2017 11:53 AM, Brent & Becky\\\\\\\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you very much for your endorsement! We always try to do whatever we can to be helpful, from the beginning to the end of our process, and even beyond as things are blooming and questions arise. We\\\'ll be here for years to come, so thank you for your kindness and your two years of belief in us!

On Apr 16, 2018 8:20 AM, Brent & Becky\\\'s Bulbs added:

Yikes! No, we did not see a Facebook post from you. We\'re so sorry! Even looked around this morning to see if we could find it. Honestly, the only calls we\'ve gotten about anything are about the wacko bloom times due to this crazy Spring weather! Early and Late blooms happening at the same time \"so my Mid Spring blooms didn\'t bloom!\" (Yet) Nothing on Carlton at all until now. And please, feel free to call us at the office where we can more easily help you and make things better. Here is a good place to share your feelings and thoughts, and we appreciate it, but we don\'t know who you are here. Give us a ring and we can pull up your account and make steps towards making things right. Our number is toll-free, 877-661-2852. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you!

On May 11, 2018 7:18 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs added:

Thank you very much for reconsidering! Like we tell most people, reach out to us directly, let us investigate what may have happened, and if we need to, let us do our best to make it right. From the smallest of businesses to the largest of them all, stuff happens. We do our best to be perfect, but no one can do that.

We look forward to showing you exceptional service in the future!

Negative garyj59
Sheboygan, WI (Zone 5a)
May 7, 2018
Posted on May 6, 2018, updated May 7, 2018
Planted 15 tulip bulbs last fall per instructions.
(5 02-0813 yellow spring green)
(5 02-1203 orange emperor)
(5 02-1218 albert heijn)
As of 5/6/18 I have only 8 that have come up, 4 orange emperor and 4 albert heijn, I lost all the yellow spring greens. I checked on there guarantee, which is there is no guarantee. Will not buy from them again!

On May 7th, 2018, garyj59 added the following:

No, I did not call because according to your guarantee you are not responsible after the bulbs were planted. I dug them up and they were all mush, all the bulbs were planted in the same area within 3 feet of other tulips that did just fine. I also noticed that the ones that did not come up are no longer on your site.
Company representative comment on May 7, 2018:
On May 7, 2018 8:09 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Wowee! That really stinks! First question (and this usually is our first question), have you given our office a call yet? We can begin to figure out if it's an issue with the cultivar or something else. The second question is, have you dug down to see what's there? There can be 3 possibilities: Mushy mess = they froze. Partial bulb pieces = they were eaten. Wrinkled and shriveled = they just didn't perform. If you can communicate that with us either here or, to save a step, call our offices directly, we can take steps toward solving this problem and making it right. Our number is toll-free 877-661-2852.

Thanks! And we'll be looking for your call!

Positive OldGeezer164
Newnan, GA (Zone 7b)
April 26, 2018
Posted on December 9, 2017, updated April 26, 2018
Received feedback on when bulbs would be delivered, and they were delivered on time, in good condition, labeled in individual mesh bags.
On April 26th, 2018, OldGeezer164 added the following:

All the bulbs have come up and are doing well.
Company representative comment on December 11, 2017:
On Dec 11, 2017 8:45 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

** swoon ** This is a great way to start out the week! Thank you so much! Holler if you need us!

Positive dacoitdan
Lanexa, VA
April 11, 2018
I just received my spring order a few days ago. I was worried that it could get messed up due to the fact that I added to the order once and then later merged in a second order. I shouldn't have worried, because the order was perfectly filled. This was the best package order from any garden source that I have every received in my 40+ years of gardening by mail order. The order was shipped in a large plastic bulb crate secure and sound. All of the bulbs and plants were top size or larger and super healthy. When I was adding to and merging my orders, I spoke with two different customer service reps. Both were very helpful, knowledgeable and courteous. They saved me shipping costs when merging in the second order. From quality product to price, packing, shipping and customer service, I highly recommend this company.
Company representative comment on April 11, 2018:
On Apr 11, 2018 11:29 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Holy crow! This is the type of review we strive to receive every day! And you've just made ours! Thank you!!! Actually, the only thing that would have made it better would have been if you had come to get your order in person, neighbor! ;) You're not that far away, you should come visit sometime! The gardens are popping like crazy!

Thanks again and we look forward to making you smile more in the future!

Positive ncbill
West Jefferson, NC
December 6, 2017
Posted on June 13, 2015, updated December 6, 2017
Absolutely. The. Best. Aaaaaa-mazing.

It doesn\'t get any better. I have been ordering from B&B for about 17 years. This was my first order from my new home and new zone.

I ordered on Monday and received my order on Wednesday--truly amazing, even though it isn\'t that far for delivery--I basically got \"overnight shipping\" without any extra charge. The order was beautifully packed, with the individual bags very securely strapped inside a sturdy plastic crate. The bulbs are gigantic and beautiful, as always.

B&B are perhaps more expensive than other places I like to buy from. They are also probably the best value--this company is a reminder of the truth in the old saying, \"you get what you pay for.\"

Even though I have come to expect superior service and product from B&B, they continue to exceed my expectations. To me, this means they are absolutely staying at the top of their game, year after year.

I am greedily making my wish-list for my fall order from Brent & Becky. I recommend this fine company to everyone...if you haven\'t given them a try, it\'s time to do so.
On December 6th, 2017, ncbill added the following:

I am giving Brent & Becky's a positive rating, mostly for nostalgia reasons. I did get some nice bulbs from them this year, but the multiple frustrations with their policies, systems, and website, eclipsed any satisfaction from superior product.

In late May (in order to receive a tiny discount), I placed a small-ish order ($220ish) for fall-shipped bulbs. Shipping charged was over 10% of the order cost. I ordered some fall crocus, and knew from clearly expressed policy in the B & B catalog, that I would be assessed additional shipping costs for that order. Now, B & B is the only company I know of that does this. With other companies, I can place an order that includes both fall and spring-shipped product, and there is no additional cost. In fact, if another company, for any reason, splits an order into multiple shipments, they cover those costs themselves. But, whatever. This was their policy and I ordered. In June, a young lady called saying she was "collecting" for that fall-shipped order. Collecting then for an order that wouldn't ship until September, October, or November? WTH? Turns out she was only collecting for that weird extra shipping fee, but in no way did she indicate that during her call. I don't think she could accurately explain what she was doing because she had no idea what she was doing. At no point in time was the status of my order expressed correctly on the B & B website. Later, I was contacted again by B & B to "collect" for this order, which started all kinds of confusion. I thought I had already paid in June, my "account" page on the website was useless to explain anything, and even the customer service folks at B & B were unable to explain to me what was going on and what had happened with this order. It finally got sorted out, and I received the orders. The bulk of the order, was delivered a full month after the orders from all the other vendors had arrived...so I was waiting for this order to fully plant new beds. The bulbs this time were just average to good, nothing exceptional. The packing was not the quality I have come to expect from B & B. The bags of bulbs were too loose inside the box, some of the bulbs were "too" sprouted, and the extra space in the box allowed the contents to bang around inside and smash/break some of the sprouts.

None of that is awful or unforgivable, was just frustrating.

Last month, when I received the 50% off notice for the B & B end of season sale, they had quite a few things I really wanted. I was going through the whole catalog, making sure to choose the right combinations of things to plant complete beds, since these bulbs would be arriving with no other plant material to join it in plantings. A few of the things I wanted disappeared while I was shopping (that happens. 50% off, right?). There were still enough of the things I wanted that I could place my order, so I did. A few days later, I received an email (on my phone) from B & B that some of the items, promised in stock at the time I ordered, were sold out. Now, they have this system that tells you, to the exact number, how much of anything they have on hand. But still, nobody's perfect, mistakes happen, etc. I was instantly exasperated, and just responded on my phone, "Can I cancel the whole order." This is what the notice said: "Unfortunately, we are sold out of Lilium Muscadet
and Lilium Regale.
Thank you so much for your order. When your order
goes down into our warehouse, if something is not
available, you will NOT be contacted. Inventory is
changing rapidly, and it is impossible to hold
orders. If your credit card was charged for the
item no longer available, the appropriate amount
will be credited back to the same card." So, they were telling me that they were sold out of two of the things I most wanted, and furthermore, if MORE of the items I wanted were not on hand, I would NOT be notified and anything on my order, or the whole order, actually, could be sold out. As I said, I was instantly exasperated, and responded "Can I cancel the whole order."

Later at home, on a real computer screen, I looked at the email and saw this in the original message from B & B:

"PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL as it is only used for outgoing messages and not monitored for incoming messages or replies."

I wasn't quite as angry then as I was when I received the original cancellation notice, so I thought, "OK, they didn't get my message, I'll still get the order, I will make it work."

The next day, I received a notice from my credit card company that B & B had refunded my entire order. No notice from B & B at all, and the B & B website still shows the order as active. (Deep sigh.)

I use a really fast computer...a 2017 MacBook Pro with quad-core processors. It's lightning fast to shop almost any website...but not Brent & Becky's. The catalog and cart interfaces are clunky and needlessly complicated.

I still love B & B. My past experiences with their service and product have placed them head-and-shoulders above their competition, even though they are by far the most expensive source from which I order. This year, confusion and frustration clouded my experience, and then getting average product that was (in my opinion) shipped late, over-sprouted, and poorly packed...

I'll accept my part in the confusion, but really, with an operation like B & B has, there is no excuse for their website account and order histories not to display accurate and understandable information about the status of each order at any given time.

Great company. I hope they are not riding on their great reputation while they let the quality control fall by the wayside. I hope they haven't grown so big that they can't be awesome any more. I hope my experience this year was a comedy of errors and misunderstandings.
Company representative comment on December 7, 2017:
On Jun 14, 2015 8:32 AM, Brent & Becky\\\'s Bulbs responded with:

Holy. Cow! Thank you! We\'re practically light headed after reading that! We really do give our all everyday, and we spend a lot of time making sure you get the best product available. So, we aren\'t the \"cheap guys\" or \"box store\" types, and we don\'t apologize for that, because we feel that in the end, you win!

Thanks again for making our day!

GM, Brent and Becky\'s

On Dec 7, 2017 8:59 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs added:

Hey there, ncbill.

Wow, where do I begin? It stings a bit to have such a loyal customer feel this way. I'd love to talk to you one on one about this. Maybe this is the best way to address your concerns. "Grown so big..." No. It's still just us. And we're here to help answer your questions or resolve any issues. Please feel free to call me and ask for me directly, toll-free, at 877-661-2852. Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.

GM, Brent and Becky's

Negative AbsoluBillsMood
Springdale, PA
October 17, 2017
Extremely slow shipping that causes products to arrive (hopefully, they have not yet), well after the ideal planting time. Even though it will be very late to plant them, I will have to pay a 25% restocking fee to return the product. A company that specializes in bulbs should ship products at the appropriate time for that region of the country. It is very difficult to reach customer service, since they do not always answer the phone.
Company representative comment on October 17, 2017:
On Oct 17, 2017 10:27 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Interesting comments, thank you for posting them here.

Having been planting and growing bulbs as a family since 1900, you really would think we would know the proper time to plant bulbs. And, we do. The best time to plant is when the soil is around 50 degrees, which usually happens around the average first frost date. For Springdale, PA that average date is today, 10/17. Your process date was listed as 10/15, so we could get it to your around that time. However, over the last 33 days in Springdale, you had 25 growing days (days where the weather has been suitable for crops to grow) and 8 cooling days (days where plant growth is inhibited due to cooler temps or other weather conditions). And for the month of October, you were in the 70's and 80's for daytime temperatures until yesterday, 10/16/17 where it finally cooled down thanks to the same cold front that passed by us here yesterday.

Now, of course, like most reputable companies, we make accommodations for folks who feel differently. We feel we specialize in bulbs and customer service. But, making that accommodation involves a simple phone call, email, or social media post. Yes, it's hard to answer every call right now. More than 30% of our yearly business happens in October. But, we do have voicemail where you can leave a message and we'll call you back.

Your order was placed on 5/11/17 when we were much slower. We emailed a confirmation to you with the 10/15 process date on it, and since we didn't hear from you over these 5 months, we assumed this date was fine for you.

Thank you for calling us this morning before making this post. However, as I mentioned, your process date was 10/15 and your order is already underway and stopping it involves stopping the other hundreds of orders we are processing at the time so we can locate yours and try to restock everything. We felt that this would have caused many more people to be upset about the delay of their order. We really do apologize.

Next year, if you so desire, just leave a note on your checkout or give us a call and let us know exactly when you'd like to receive it, as we can - if need be - make it land on the exact day you want it. We're good like that.

Thanks for sharing your feedback! It means a lot!

Positive GardnerGreg
Norwalk, CT
May 31, 2017
I was a little skeptical of Brent and Becky's at first because the web infrastructure and ordering seemed a little dated but I'm very glad I ordered my dahlias from them. I really liked the small order size; it allowed me to try some new dahlias without having to buy 5+ at a time and their prices were comparable to bulk pricing. Each root was very healthy and I think I have only had 1 not come up. The little thing that I appreciated the most was their plant labels; each bag has a green, hard-plastic label that doubles as a plant marker. I planted 50ish dahlias this year and the last thing I wanted to do write another marker.
Company representative comment on May 31, 2017:
On May 31, 2017 11:35 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you for your trust in us. Our website is always a work in progress and hopefully, it will be a better experience for you in the future! And we're honored at your trust in us as a first time customer. We look forward to making you this happy - at least - in the future!

Positive RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
May 25, 2017
Posted on December 19, 2015, updated May 25, 2017
Posted on June 4, 2015, updated December 19, 2015
Posted on June 6, 2014, updated June 4, 2015
Posted on June 2, 2012, updated June 6, 2014
I placed my order on Monday night, May 28, the last possible moment before Brent and Becky\\\\\\\'s summer catalog closed. All of their bulbs were half priced, and I placed an \\\\\\\"impulse order.\\\\\\\" I was really surprised when the large box of 35 bulbs (nine different ones) arrived on Thursday! They were beautifully packed and well labeled. Not a bad bulb in the lot. I planted them today (Saturday).
On June 5th, 2014, RebeccaLynn added the following:

I can\\\\\\\'t believe how fast Brent and Becky get their orders out! I ordered on June 3; they arrived on June 5. Incredible! Carefully packed. Everything looks great. Tomorrow morning they go in the ground. Too hot this afternoon! Lilies, alstromeria, and hippeastrum - 45 bulbs.
On June 4th, 2015, RebeccaLynn added the following:

My order of 25 Matrix lily bulbs (5 pkgs) arrived yesterday. As I expected, they were fresh, large, and well packed. I planted them today.
On December 19th, 2015, RebeccaLynn added the following:

I\'ve been reading vintage garden books lately, and have become intrigued by \"small\" or minor bulbs. Just before Brent & Becky\'s fall planted catalog closed, I ordered several dozen Chionodoxa and Crocus bulbs and planted them in a small area in the lawn. This was a few weeks ago, and we\'ve had nothing but rain since! If I\'m lucky and they don\'t rot or get eaten by the pesky voles, I\'ll see tiny, colorful flowers blooming in late winter and very early spring in the lawn. I can\'t wait!
On May 25th, 2017, RebeccaLynn added the following:

SO IMPRESSED - again! I placed an order on May 23rd for 2 Dancing Queen Hippeastrum bulbs, 2 Hercules Hippeastrum bulbs, 5 Lilium Muscadet bulbs, and 5 Lilium Scherezade bulbs. The box arrived this afternoon, May 25th! Beautiful, big, fresh bulbs! The Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) bulbs were bigger than most turnips I've seen; planted them this evening. Will plant the Liliums tomorrow!
Company representative comment on May 26, 2017:
On Jun 5, 2015 1:23 PM, Brent & Becky\\\'s Bulbs responded with:

(Does a \"Happy Dance\"!)

On May 26, 2017 7:18 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs added:

On June 5th, 2015, you made us do a Happy Dance! And again, we're groovin' up and down the hallways! Thank you for making our day! It's been cloudy and rainy all week, but today the sun came out and we read your post! Can't get much better than that!

Positive piscesxander
Sacramento, CA
May 9, 2017
This year was my first year ordering from Brent and Becky's and I'm very happy with the goodies I've received. Everything arrived very healthy and is coming up perfectly. Their prices are fantastic and they offer a huge range of very exotic and rare lovelies. I will definitely order from them again.
Company representative comment on May 9, 2017:
On May 9, 2017 7:21 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you so much for your kind words! And welcome to the Brent and Becky's family! We look forward to helping you beautify your world for years to come. And speaking of years, it's been YEARS since we were in Sacremento, but we need to get back! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Happy gardening!

Positive psychopsis
Ann Arbor, MI
May 6, 2017
After browsing lots of online bulb listings this winter, the combination of reasonable prices and interesting selection led me to choose to make an order from Brent and Becky's. My bulbs shipped the week promised when my order was placed, an appropriate seasonal time for my region. The shipment arrived with everything looking healthy and robust. When one item had not been included, the company's customer service representatives helped me resolve the issue quickly and easily. Would order again.
Company representative comment on May 8, 2017:
On May 8, 2017 7:52 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Your experience just touches our hearts! It's SO great to hear that people "get us". We try to offer as much variety as possible without overwhelming people, at prices that are fair and reasonable. We do everything we can to honor the wishes of our customers. And, also in your case, if something goes awry (which happens - we're human), we do everything we can to make it right as quickly as possible. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to being there for you in the future! Happy Gardening!

Positive PapilioTx
Austin, TX
May 6, 2017
Awesome! Shipped very timely. Arrived well packed. Included instructions, a catalog & invoice. Bulbs very healthy. These will be a gift so I am extra pleased! Will order again.
Company representative comment on May 8, 2017:
On May 8, 2017 7:48 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

We're so happy that YOU are happy, and we hope the recipient of your kind gift is also happy! Thanks so much for sharing, and we'll do our best to make sure everything runs as smoothly for your future orders!

Positive cwalke
Longview, WA (Zone 8b)
April 12, 2017
Having never ordered from this company before I made a small order of lilies...a hard bulb to damage relatively speaking. They arrived a couple weeks ago and were nice and large. They're in the ground and will settle right in I'm sure.
I would like to order some live plants as well.
Company representative comment on April 13, 2017:
On Apr 13, 2017 12:41 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Well, since we're all human, sometimes things happen. But your experience is what we strive for every day! Thank you for your new trust in our company and we'll do everything we can to make sure every experience is just like this one!

Positive McCallTN
Maryville, TN
March 15, 2017
I have ordered spring bulbs the last two years. Good quality. Example, five Monal Daffodils planted last fall produced 16 bloom stalks this spring.
Company representative comment on March 15, 2017:
On Mar 15, 2017 6:03 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

What WHAT!?!? Boo-yah! Whoop whoop! (sorry, celebrating!)

Thank you so much! Let's try it again this Fall and make it a yearly trifecta.

;)

Neutral Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ (Zone 6b)
March 5, 2017
I have been buying from this company for many years on and off and have had mostly a good experience. I always expect some disappointment when dealing with live plants and I don't go running back to return every failure or mislabeled plant. Even when one year my bulbs came covered in aphids, I took care of it on my own and did not fault the company because sometimes it happens. I still buy from them but are they a Top 5 company? Not to me.

The one year I did have a bad experience. I didn't get any response to my emails for two troubled shipments in a row, fall and spring. That year I received mislabeled crocus, 2 dahlias with completely dried out and disconnected tops, reticulated irises that did not come up, dodecatheon roots without growing tips to name the problems I remember. So out of those orders, at least 5 problems so I did complain this time. Never received a response.
Positive mphsgardener
Memphis, TN (Zone 8a)
December 29, 2016
I have placed multiple orders over the years with Brent & Becky's Bulbs. They have an extensive selection, I find the website easy to navigate, all the bulbs I've received have been healthy and large. All orders I've received have been accurately filled, arrived on time, and are well packaged. I view my purchases as an investment and am rewarded every year as the bulbs I've planted multiply and make my yard beautiful.
Company representative comment on January 23, 2017:
On Jan 23, 2017 11:55 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you so much for your kind words! We missed seeing this over the holiday and you have made our day! Happy New Year!

Positive nitzi1944
Posted on May 9, 2011, updated October 29, 2012
Posted on October 29, 2010, updated May 9, 2011
Posted on October 9, 2010, updated October 29, 2010
Posted on April 26, 2008, updated October 9, 2010
This is my first order with this company. The Liatris and Crocosmia are huge bulbs and well labled and packaged. I just planted them. I will order again. This company knows what they are doing.
On May 12th, 2008, nitzi1944 added the following:

The liatris are already showing signs of growth. All 10 of the \\\\\\\"Alba\\\\\\\" have sprouted. I can\\\\\\\'t wait for them to bloom this summer. So far, I am thrilled with this company. I am planning to order bulbs to be planted in the fall. The catalog looks great. This is top notch company to order from. You get what you pay for!
On October 9th, 2010, nitzi1944 added the following:

I just received my order of bulbs. They all look fantastic, big and healthy. Most of the daffodils have 2 or 3 bulblets attached to the mother bulb. I planted daffodil\\\\\\\"Stratosphere\\\\\\\" this morning. All the bulbs were well packed and arrived in a nice plastic crate by UPS. I can\\\\\\\'t wait for Spring!
On October 29th, 2010, nitzi1944 added the following:

I just finished planting N. Acropolis and 50 N. Manly. This was from an additional order. The bulbs arrived within a week and were packed well. I have to say the two bulb trowels I ordered mde planting so much easier and efficient.
It only took a little over 1 hr. to plant 100. Whew!All done for this year. The quality of blossoms should be fantastic next Spring.
On May 9th, 2011, nitzi1944 added the following:

All the bulbs I Ordered came up and were specacular. Acropolis, Manly and Stratosphere daffodils kasted a long time. People were knocking on my door to compliment the display. Highly rec. B and B.
On October 29th, 2012, nitzi1944 added the following:

My bulbs arrived on time. They are huge and healthy. I can\\\\\\\'t wait for the hyacinths and tulips to bloom next year. Great product.
On June 17th, 2013, nitzi1944 added the following:

I recently contacted Brent and Becky regarding Madame Lefebre red tulips which were not true to the catalog, and don\\\\\\\'t look like any of friends Madame Lefebre. I believe they were mislabled. My son also sent pictures. Even though this company believes they are the real thing, they still are giving me a credit on my account. What a nice way to keep a customer. This is a great company who still believes, \\\\\\\"The customer is always right.\\\\\\\" Can\\\\\\\'t wait to order from the new catalog.
On October 30th, 2013, nitzi1944 added the following:

Got my hyacinth bulbs last week and planted them. They were huge and well packed. no duds. I ordered Peter Sty. and Yellow Queen. I\\\\\\\'m giving yellow queen another try since you credited my acct. last year b/c they bloomed all white. Thanks B and B.
On June 18th, 2015, nitzi1944 added the following:

Finally,my Liatris bulbs arrived today. My original order is somewhere in space, but Brent and Becky resent the order on 6/16/15. It was well packaged and was delivered to my doorstep. The bulbs look very healthy. Thanks a bunch, guys.
On November 23rd, 2015, nitzi1944 added the following:

My 6 Amarylis bulbs arrived in great condition. I planted them this morning. I look forward to beautiful blooms! A great company to do business with!
On December 17th, 2016, nitzi1944 added the following:

A great company to deal with. 99% of their bulbs come up AND THERE'S ALWAYS A GREAT SELECTION. Top quality merchandise. The website is a little difficult to navigate for those of us who are 'techno phobic." It's good to have a son who helps with that!!!
Company representative comment on July 22, 2013:
On Jul 22, 2013 8:52 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

HOLY MOLY! We can't believe that you've taken the time, this many times, to say such nice things about us! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! It means the world to us!

Positive esanita
Tyaskin, MD (Zone 7a)
November 5, 2016
I ordered two different varieties of allium. I didn't know allium bulbs could be as big as the ones I got. Absolutely amazing. Will definitely order more from this company.
Positive brianaucuba
PEQUEA, PA (Zone 6b)
November 2, 2016
I placed my first ever order with Brent and Becky's Bulbs this fall. Using the online catalog I placed my order quickly and easily for some Eranthis and Cyclamen. I was contacted shortly thereafter by their staff to let me know the Cyclamen were sold out. No problem -- I substituted some Helleborus. The bulbs and plants arrived in perfect shape today. The plants were packed with great care. The unavailability of the Cyclamen is not a big deal to me. I realize that things can happen when dealing with live plants as opposed to manufactured goods. I am giving my first order with Brent and Becky's Bulbs a positive rating.
Negative mylittletrees
Corning, OH
September 20, 2016
Posted on September 9, 2016, updated September 20, 2016
My experience with certain aspects of this company have been less than ideal. First of all their website doesn\'t work well, and is not easy to use. For example, I found that there is no easy straight forward way to find the lowest priced daffodil on their site. Other bulb websites have a quick and easy way to sort items from lowest to highest price. Useful features that provide quick at a glance information on price or quantity don\'t seem to be present. Overall website navigation stinks. I even had error pages when trying to view certain daffodils. I actually prefer viewing their catalog, but expected online ordering to quick and easy. It was not.

Secondly I don\'t like their expensive and sneaky way to \"double dip\" on shipping charges. I ordered crocus corms and shipping time was to be around 9/1. I also wanted daffs, but was told those could not be shipped at that date and would require additional shipping charges! I\'m sorry but I call that a bunch of BS. So I went and bought my daffodils at Wal-mart in August. Daffodils are certainly dormant in August and Sept. and should have been ready to ship with my crocuses. I can\'t see a real legitimate reason to do that to somebody.

Thirdly I wasn\'t impressed with the size of the crocus corms that were delivered. I\'ve seen bigger corms in the big box department stores. I suppose they will grow if they are like any other crocus. It\'s difficult to know what to expect out of them.

Finally I would have liked an invoice in the shipping container showing my exact total for the order. After this messy transaction I\'m looking for other places to spend my money.
On September 20th, 2016, mylittletrees added the following:

I did email one of your associates and ask for a finalized invoice, but never heard back.

Concerning the size of the crocus corms. I respectfully disagree. Maybe it was because I was a new customer or maybe because I had a small order; all I know is the corms I received were small.

Company representative comment on September 12, 2016:
On Sep 12, 2016 12:18 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Oh my, we're so sorry that you had such a bad experience!

Recently we asked our fans on Facebook how they preferred to search for Daffodils and not ONE of them said "price". So we've made our search fit the majority demands of our customers. If you're looking for the cheapest daffodils, your box store purchase was spot on and we wish you the best in your choice. We've never wanted to compete by price. We've seen WAY too many other companies fail when they fall into that trap. So, we spend the time making sure that our customers are getting the best quality and best sizes available on the market.

Our shipping charges are spread out over your entire order. So, the percentage of shipping an early Fall planted bulb and a late Fall planted bulb are the exact same. If you select $100 in Fall crocus, the shipping (i.e., 10%) would be $10. If you added $100 in Daffodils, the shipping does increase to $20 because your order total is now $200. They are just shipped at different times. Our shipping Terms are clearly defined on the Terms page of our website: [[email protected]]

As far as timing goes, let's compare this to Christmas. Christmas decorations start coming out in September (or earlier in places) because ABC Company always want to be the first to have it available. So it seems to get earlier and earlier until, it seems, that Christmas would be up all year long. Now, you can buy a Christmas ornament in August and save it. But when it comes to bulbs, you can't just buy them whenever you want and plant them when you want. They don't perform as when they are planted too early. A: They aren't getting the curing time they need to stay viable on the shelf and B: Their roots don't develop until around the time of your first hard frost. The best Dutch growers who have done this for generations like us will tell you the same. Unless you live in zone 2, August and September are WAY too early to plant daffodils. So, although we're sorry that it upset you so, we don't apologize for shipping bulbs to our customers at the appropriate time for planting in their zone.

Size. You know what they say..."Size Matters." And that's why we offer the top sized bulbs available for that season. Mother Nature can throw curve balls at our growers and at the time they dig them for shipping, they may be smaller due to not enough rain, too much rain, too warm or too cold. But we ask them to send us the best and largest sizes available. One thing that IS consistent is the box store's demand for the smallest because they are the cheapest.

And as far as a packing slip with prices, we've never had anyone ask for that. We do email you a copy immediately after an online order is placed, and when the order is entered into our system, we email another acknowledgment with all of the details including estimated shipping dates. So, if you have lost those first two (maybe check your SPAM folder), we'd be happy to send you a third one.

Thank you for voicing your opinion, and we hope we can make you happier in the future!

GM, Brent and Becky's

Positive lanky14
Cleveland, OH
August 2, 2016
I have been buying from Brent and Becky's for about four years. I consistently receive good customer service and excellent bulbs and plants.
Positive Elspeth65
Stow, OH
July 10, 2016
I placed quite a large order with Brent and Becky last fall. It arrived in good time for planting, and all the bulbs were huge and healthy. Many of them had so many offsets it was like getting 2 or 3 bulbs in one. They all came up in the spring, even the ones the dog replanted, and bloomed fiercely. I'm very pleased and will definitely order again.
Neutral BJames1
Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a)
June 19, 2016
Posted on January 5, 2010, updated June 19, 2016
This is THE COMPANY to order healthy bulbs. With a wide, varied selection of excellent bulbs and perennials, you can\'t go wrong. Their quality is superb and their shipping is fast and reliable! I definitely plan on doing business with them in the future! The best part about Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs, if the price is a turnoff for you: wait until the end-of-season specials, then BOOYA! 50% off! That has to be my favorite! Thank you Brent & Becky\'s for offering healthy bulbs at a great value! Highly recommended!
On June 19th, 2016, BJames1 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Plant quality has suffered in the past couple of years I have ordered from this company. I have received rotten and virused bulbs and herbaceous perennials that were the size of plugs. Company has tried to compensate for poor quality upon contacting customer service.
Neutral Botanist3
Stanardsville, VA (Zone 6b)
May 19, 2016
Posted on May 11, 2016, updated May 19, 2016
Posted on April 29, 2016, updated May 11, 2016
In the past, we\\\'ve received great plants from Brent & Becky\\\'s. This spring, we got seven Colocasia which were puny; the tiny crowns look like they just came out of tissue-culture plug trays, about 2-3 inches tall. Odd putting them in pots far too big; the roots have not occupied most of the soil space. These are about 30% the size of what had been sent last year and the year before, always having delivery/shipment the same time period.

I\\\'m wondering if anyone else has had the same experience this season.
On May 11th, 2016, Botanist3 added the following:

When I first commented on our last shipment of Colocasia, I left out another detail, wanting to be sure before I posted: the Colocasia were shipped with spider mites. Curiously, some leaves, young ones, had been cut off prior to shipping. We noticed this and a \"sandy\" looking pattern on the leaves. Later, a microscope and fine webbing confirmed the infestation. This was not a case of mites crawling onto the plants-they had obviously been there awhile, judging by the eggs and nymphs. Having managed nurseries for over 30 years, few things are as annoying as importing pests into an otherwise clean growing area. Miticide has been applied, along with bottom heat, fertilizer and HID lighting to try and get the 3-4 inch plants to a usable size.

Anyone purchasing these plants should be on the lookout, in case the issue has not been resolved.
On May 19th, 2016, Botanist3 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Brent & Becky's did issue a credit for the plants. However, I tried numerous times to reach Jay, who kindly gave contact information/phone, cell numbers-after some days, I've given up on that. After six attempts, there's not much use.

My review was updated to neutral vs. negative. I can't give a positive experience do to the lack of ability to speak with Jay and the inconvenience of having to treat my growing area for mites and having to locate replacement plants needed for a public display.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2016:
On May 11, 2016 10:39 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Good morning! We have taken your comments quite seriously. We have been investigating your order. All we see here on this website is that you are from Stanardsville VA. We only have one customer in Stanardsville and it is a Nursery. On the 2016 order for this customer, there are no Colocasias. Since you haven't contacted us directly about this situation, we're assuming that we may have the wrong customer. Would you be willing to email your customer number, order number or anything else you can share to [email protected]?

Thank you. We're always VERY open to discussing a customer's concerns, so ANYTIME, please feel free to reach out to us first so we have the opportunity to offer a solution and make you as happy as we promised we would do.

We're looking forward to hearing from you!

Positive susand24224
Davenport, WA
May 11, 2016
Bulbs received several weeks ago (late April) and as always they are large, healthy, and appear ready to grow. I have never been unhappy with an order from Brent & Becky's.
Positive kawand33
Lansing, MI (Zone 5a)
May 7, 2016
I ordered dicentra - alba and dodecatheon - media from Brent and Becky's Bulbs and both are sprouting beautifully. I can't wait to watch them continue to grow this season. I would recommend this company.
Positive MollyBlooms
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
May 1, 2016
Posted on November 14, 2015, updated May 1, 2016
Posted on May 8, 2015, updated November 14, 2015
Posted on April 8, 2015, updated May 8, 2015
Posted on April 29, 2014, updated April 8, 2015
As in years past, Brent & Becky\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s exceeds expectations. For Easter, I had ordered some cut flowers from B&B, to be delivered via overnight service on Friday 4/18. I saw by the tracking number that the delivery was going to be delayed due to UPS\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s error. The flowers arrived on Saturday 4/19, most in decent shape but some the worse for wear. I didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t plan on complaining to B&B since it wasn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t their error. But no sooner had I put the flowers in water than a B&B representative called me, asking about the flowers and their condition. I told her that most were in pretty good shape but some were not; she asked me to hold, then after a moment came back on to tell me that she had spoken to Becky and that B&B would send me a new bouquet, free of charge. And indeed they did! The flowers arrived today and are gorgeous, and fresh.

Mind you, all this happened *without* complaint from me. This company truly stands behind their products and provides top-notch service.

I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve been a customer for many years (gong back to the Daffodil Mart days) and will continue to be so.
On April 8th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

Same great service, and again without a complaint from me. Bad weather delayed my cut flowers from B&B; almost all were still just fine and I did not plan to complain. These things happen. But B&B called and offered to either replace the flowers or give me a refund. I chose to apply the amount toward my next B&B order, which I will place shortly. This company wants to make things right even when the problem wasn\\\\\\\'t of their own making.
On May 8th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

My summer bulb order has arrived. Everything was very carefully packed and looks to be in excellent condition. And as always, detailed growing instructions.
On November 14th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

Just received my latest bulb order from B&B (they were very patient, calling me several times to clear up an ambiguity in my order). Nice healthy-looking bulbs, packaged carefully and well labelled. If only the gardener were as good as the bulbs! : )
On May 1st, 2016, MollyBlooms added the following:

Placed an order in April for a Musa and some summer-flowering bulbs. In a week I had my order! The Musa looks nice and healthy, and the bulbs are firm and of a good size. My experience was consistent with the good history I've had with this company. (And it has a fine catalogue as well.)
Company representative comment on May 8, 2015:
On May 8, 2015 10:57 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thanks for your kind post, MollyBlooms! We really do appreciate your business! We look forward to serving you further in the future! Happy Gardening!

Positive jakeofpk
Exeland, WI
April 19, 2016
This is my second year of ordering bulbs from Brent and Beckys. Last years dahlia bulbs arrived when requested and were in excellent shape. I started them indoors about six weeks before the set out date (requested delivery date was met). The dahlias sprouted and grew beautifully. I was so impressed that I ordered from them again this year. The bulbs are planted and sprouted. I again requested a specific delivery date since we would be out of state. We had severe local weather while we were gone. I came home to messages on my recorder and an email stating that they did not want to send the bulbs due to the chance they would freeze on the truck! A new delivery date was stated and met. Great service!
Positive collectorpalms
College Station, TX
January 6, 2016
Posted on January 6, 2016, updated January 6, 2016
Posted on February 18, 2015, updated January 6, 2016
Ordered over 5 thousands total bulbs for a Trial Garden in Zone 8b Texas for Spring 2015. Primarily Tulips, Daffodils, Crocus, Muscari, Hyacinthus, and Amaryllis. Companies ordered from included: (Brent And Beckys, Colorblends, Van Engelen, Devroomen, Abbott-Ipco,Tulips.com, Long-field Gardens, Netherland Bulb Company, Holland Bulb Company, White Flower Farm, John Scheepers, K Van Bourgondien and etc... Some came prechilled in limited weeks and others were prechilled personally. While it is too early for Results. I have a semi-positive outlook in regards to the bulbs. They do not offer prechilling of most of their bulbs. However, they were packaged In loose netting ( as opposed to boxes or paper bags which helped ventilate the bulbs moreso than others. This might not be the best company to order from if you want a large display and live in an area that requires prechilling of bulbs on your own ( placed in a cooler for several weeks). While the bulbs have not been vigorous or mostly emerged, I am still somewhat hopeful. I did place one order for prechlled muscari Blue Magic and 25 of a small tulip. The muscari look good, but the Tulips are tiny ( 2 inch molted leaves) and have not flowered. I will update in mid spring.
On January 6th, 2016, collectorpalms added the following:

This is an update to my spring 2015 blooms. I had about a 50 percent success rate pre-chilling my bulbs myself. Those that did bloom came true to type.

I placed a new order for Bulbs in Dec 2015 for spring blooms 2016. Unfortunately, UPS lost the bulbs for 2 weeks. I was told they were found in a UPS semi-trailer the entire time. Needless to say, the bulbs did not appear viable once I got them. Once, I contacted Brent and Becky\'s bulbs for a refund, I was told I would be refunded on my creditcard. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed, but I am leaving a positive feedback because it wasn\'t their fault.
On January 6th, 2016, collectorpalms added the following:

Correction it was Fedex not UPS that lost the order.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]