The scoop on 'Breck's Bulbs'

Breck's Bulbs

Guilford, Indiana 47022-4180 (United States)

Phone: 513-354-1512
Fax: 513-354-1505

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Gardens Alive!

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative blissfullyigneo
Auburn, CA,
United States
November 22, 2018
I ordered the Batik Iris Collection July 15, 2018. Contacted Breck's multiple times after shipment delays. Now, mid November with winter starting to set in in California, they canceled this part of my order entirely -- after previously telling me things would ship soon. I'm beyond frustrated at their service and extremely frustrated as this was the part of that order I was most interested in adding to my garden. I will only order from more professional growers in the future and there are many who offer a far more superior product at similar rates to Breck's. I'm just disgusted at this experience. They never had the courtesy to even let me know the order was canceled. I just happened to be checking my email on Thanksgiving and saw I had a random refund from them. Not worth the time or frustration at all. And, in my experience, the bulbs they do send are crud.
Negative ldaigle
Salem, NH
November 15, 2018
I placed an order for hundreds of dollars in Irises, peonies, dahlias, begonias, hardy gladioli and poppies. My credit card was immediately debited. The order was split into ship dates according to planting time.
Shipping dates were postponed several times. One by one, all but 2 my orders eventually cancelled as out of Stock. One of the 5 irises was molded and 1 of the 10 poppy roots was dried, shriveled and clearly dead. 7 months after placing orders, I had no fall flowers, will have no spring flowers, and still no refunds.
Negative sojoyful
Merrimack, NH
September 16, 2018
Posted on September 9, 2018, updated September 16, 2018
I am a first time customer. I was wary because I\'ve seen other negative reviews about delayed deliveries, but I decided to give them a chance. I placed a small order on 8/21/18 for three on sale iris bulbs. On my order confirmation, in the \"Ship Date Estimate\" column for each bulb the item number was listed instead of a date. This was suspicious, so I logged in to the website to check my order status and it said the delivery estimate for all three bulbs was 8/24/18-9/5/18.
On 8/28/18 I logged in again and the delivery estimate for all three had changed to 8/31/18-9/12/18. I began checking every day and noticed that delivery estimate always increased by one day. It always said my items had not shipped.
On 9/3/18 the delivery estimate was 9/6/18-9/18/18. I called customer service. They said they had not started shipping of fall bulbs yet because of the prime planting times. When I pointed out that the website states that shipping for iris in my zone starts on 8/13/18, they said they have to fill orders as they are received, and they were working as fast as they can. When I expressed concern over the shifting date estimates and shrinking planting window, they suddenly mentioned that my items were due for delivery on 9/10 (that date is not anywhere in my order status), and that they could put a \"rush\" on them, but that they still could not guarantee a date.
On 9/8 (a Saturday) the delivery estimate was 9/11/18-9/23/18. I called again, this time I asked to cancel my order, which still had not shipped, according to the website. I cited the shifty delivery estimates and the increasingly late date. They said they were unable to cancel because my order was \"processing\" but that they would pass my request to the shipping department. I asked if I would get an email confirmation when my order was cancelled, and they repeated that they could not cancel my order because it is \"in processing\". They said the shipping department would come in Monday, and if they cancelled my order I would know because I\'d see a refund on my account. IF.
At this point I don\'t know how it will play out, but I do know I won\'t be ordering from them again.
On September 16th, 2018, sojoyful added the following:

The box appeared on my doorstep. I'm very disappointed. There's no packing material to protect the bulbs from rolling around in the box during shipping, and one of them was broken. One is very moldy and has an insect web or egg sack on it. A second has a small amount of mold, and the third is ok but very small. It's too late in the season for an exchange, so I planted them but with low expectations. I will never order from this company again.
Positive raylenek
Boise, ID
August 30, 2018
I have always been able to count on Breck's. I have gardened for 50+ years and I am a Master Gardener. I rarely give feedback, but after this year of several plant companies treating me so badly I knew I had to say something positive about one company, BRECK'S, they help make up for all the bad experiences. They have always been good about return credit without question. I lived in Pennsylvania that had very poor soil and no matter what I amended it with I couldn't get things to grow, (poor drainage) they NEVER QUESTIONED WHY THEY DIDN'T GROW or made me send photos!.
I hadn't replaced all of last years' failures that I purchased through Breck's, so they just sent me a check in place of my credits. Can't beat that! Except for my years in PA I have had great success and very few returns. They will definitely be the ONLY online purchase from now on. You can count on Brecks for quality products.
Positive Joe904
Kalamazoo, MI
August 24, 2018
I was quite surprised to see the negative comments about this company. I have been ordering bulbs from them for many years and have only had the best experience. The bulbs I get are consistently larger and better looking than any I can buy in the nursery and the selection is top notch. The prices are occasionally just slightly higher but i feel that I am getting a better quality product due to bulb size. I rarely have needed to call them. I do not buy plants from them because I think it is akin to going to a steak specialty restaurant and ordering shrimp - best to stick with their strong suit. I recall mentioning to them one time that I had planted some irises in a place that turned out to have too little light for them to bloom - and they sent me new iris corms anyway even though this was clearly my fault and I had no intention of asking them to be responsible for my poor decision. I could not ask for a better place to buy bulbs.
Negative w96ladypilot
Panama City Beach, FL
August 24, 2018
I absolutely detest this company. Ordered 3 times. NEVER got what I ordered. Sometimes replacements were sent, for something I didn't really want ("we're sure you will love this since we are out of that"). Hey, how about an email asking me instead of willy nilly sending something? Sometimes given credit toward future orders, which I do not care to use. STEER CLEAR!
Negative cynthiadp
Sherman Oaks, CA
June 23, 2018
I ordered fourteen dinnerplate dahlias. Three of the bulbs , or what there was of them were missing all the "fingers" and had no central stem. What I discovered I received once they began blooming were these little 4" blooms and this was true of all the dinnerplate dahlias I ordered!!! I called Brecks and was told I should just cut off all but one bloom to force it into dinnerplate size. I've grown dinnerplate dahlias before and knew ( unless I was entering a flower competition) this was not true. None of the plants that I ordered were anything other than regular dahlias that I could have picked up at my local nursery. I have had trouble in the past with Breck's and will NEVER order from them again. Don't waste your money or your gardening time with them!
Positive willworkfordirt
June 18, 2018
Posted on June 4, 2016, updated June 18, 2018
This is my first time ordering from Breck\'s. The customer service is exemplary. The staff is friendly, helpful and well-formed. You have a repeat customer!
On June 18th, 2018, willworkfordirt added the following:

I REALLY like this company and its affiliates (Spring Hill Nursery, Michigan Bulb Co, etc.). I have ordered from them several times since my last feedback and have been completely satisfied with my purchases and the way they promptly and efficiently resolve any issue.

As a customer, I find their business model to be simple, straightforward, and hassle-free. THE WAY IT SHOULD BE in my opinion. I see myself ordering from them for many years down the road.

Breck's and affiliates -- if you are reading this -- you guys are doing something right. Keep it up!
Positive FrostPrincess
Shakopee, MN
June 14, 2018
This was the first time I ordered from Breck's Bulbs...I had read the reviews here and knew it was kind of a crapshoot but as there are very few independent nurseries where I live, and for the few near me plant selections are meager and the prices are high--so I thought I'd try them.

I was actually pretty surprised, the plants were all healthy and well packaged, and for starter plants they were actually a very nice size. I was actually very pleased with my order and will definitely order from them again.

I've planted everything from my order and all are doing well, taking off...no sign of any transplant shock in any of the plants I ordered/received.

My only frustration is the 'out' of stock notices...I know I ordered very late in the season and was ordering from their end of season sale, but it was as if they knew the plants I had my heart most set on and those were the ones that, of course...were out of stock.

I will definitely order again from them for 'filler' plants and plants to try that are on sale and will also try them for some fall planting bulbs.

Positive Suze1
Dodge Center, MN
May 17, 2018
I ordered a Creme de la Creme phlox which didn't come up, which may have been my fault, but Breck's replaced it. I planted the replacement plant in a pot instead of directly into the ground so I wouldn't mistake it for a weed and pull it. I also appreciate the "Buy now, pay later" policy.
Positive MonteDon
Seattle, WA
May 5, 2018
I have shopped with Brecks for about a year now and Spent LOTS of money with them. I'm kind of shocked at some of the reviews. #1 - yeah, they dont ship right away. For good reason - it mentions ALL OVER THE SITE, that items will ship when it's right for your zone and when they get them in stock. They are plants.. I mean - if your getting Fall bulbs and your ordering in April - why do you think those will be ready? The whole thing is aimed at shipping you the freshest bulbs from Holland. They definitely give you fair warning on the shipping time, but I would think most gardeners would kind of already understand the logistics behind why it would take a certain amount of time to get the plants. If you are looking for plants *now*.. go to a nursery. Brecks is good for things like - rare plants and things you cant find everywhere. So.. I have gotten many, many, many shipments from them - as well as their sister company Spring Hill (which I did not know was their sister company until I was on the phone with Brecks, paying a bill). They mentioned they could handle my Spring Hill order as well. I have received Tulip, Hyacinth, Lily, Fall bulbs.. Loads of Spring bulbs for cottage garden plants you cant find in nurseries. The bulbs are big and fresh. Healthy, vibrant flowers bloomed from each batch. I have had 2 issues with Brecks - 1 was when I ordered black tulips that were more red than black when they bloomed - and another was when I ordered off a buy one get one free sale - the shipment contained plants instead of bulbs and i got 6 hummingbird mints (you cant find those anywhere in nurseries.. when I asked the guy at the nursery, he had never heard of it).. anyway - 2 out of the 6 hummingbird mints looked a little toasty dry when I received.. This is where I am confused about other reviews.. So i called the 1-800 number and said "hey I just got 6 hummingbird mints, but 2 are dry... what should i do?" and they instantly refunded because they were out of stock and couldnt replace the plant. Yes the dude was in India, but I live in a very big city - so I am not scared of immigrants and did not care if the dude I was on the phone with had an accent. I just wanted him to resolve the issue.. That was my first time ever calling them about an issue, and I had all kinds of stuff ready - photos.. proof.. etc etc.. ready to argue (just in case).. but the dude was super polite. It was all business. he said Sorry, we are out of stock on those so I can only issue a refund.. I said sure thats cool, he told me to hold on... 5 minutes later - it was off my bill? So either i have extremely good luck with Brecks, or other people have unreasonable expectations. I know in my experience - i always fully understand I am ordering things I wont see for many months.. so maybe that helps my expectations. It is May 5th and I just ordered Fall bulbs. Having dealt with receiving Fall bulbs from Brecks before - I know they wont be shipping to my Zone until the end of October.. so the large order I just placed will not be received until the end of 2018.. I know this because it says everywhere "we will ship at the prime time for your planting zone to make sure bulbs are at their best!"... So.. I've done maybe 15 orders with them? and 2 or 3 with their sister company Spring Hill.. and I continue to order from them for a reason. I'll update this review if i ever run into a customer service issue though.
Negative DMSOregon
Roseburg, OR
April 26, 2018
Worst Customer Service EVER! I placed an order on 3/19. waited 1 month and checked the order status it showed a Fedex label had been generated but nothing was shipped. I checked their on-line catalog and it showed both items Out of Stock. I sent an email inquiring about my order and immediately received a canned response stating that a CS rep. would contact me. I waited until after the stated delivery date (the order still had not shipped) and sent another email inquiry and received the same canned response, waited a couple more days and called them to cancel that order and asked for a refund. If there are have 500 customers they have collected payments from of, let's say $50. each. that's $25,000 they have sitting in an account earning interest. I called them canceled my order and requested my money refunded. I will be boycotting this company.
Negative petart
Linglestown, PA
April 11, 2018
I ordered 7 daylilies October, 2017. I received very small specimens, bare root. Planted them in a newly prepared bed last fall.
None survived the winter, they all rotted out.
Refund given, no hassle there. But Im still out the shipping fee of $12.95 which is not refundable.
I wont order from them again. I noticed the colors in their catalog are very deceptive and are not true to what the blooms really are.
Negative RussellSShawJr
West Simsbury, CT
April 8, 2018
hellebore collection paid $54.99 for 7 plants - received tiny seedlings with less than 1 inch roots. Paid $79 for one Itoh
Bartzella peony--advertised as 3 eyes-- received a root segment 4 inches long with one eye. o
Paid $32 for a bare root Radiant Perfume rose-- one stick 5 inch rooted . Total order $450! NO MORE! Order received before frost out of the ground.
Positive bkrell
Shreveport, LA
February 8, 2018
I started receiving Breck's catalogs about the same time as Michigan Bulb catalogs. Then I realized they were all under the Garden's Alive umbrella. Typically, their prices are much higher than M Bulb, if it's something M Bulb carries. Breck's has a MUCH better selection though. Like MB, Breck's offers sales and all sorts of discounts. I typically only buy during those sales. The sale on daylilies at the end of last season was not to be missed. Plants they were trying to offer for $15-25 were being let go for a tiny fraction of that. In short, I LOADED UP on daylilies. And, to be perfectly honest, their daylilies are the best I've ever received from an online source. I ordered a lot of big beautiful tetraploids and got them in the ground ASAP. They TOOK OFF! In no time (and I hate to say it), they were really embarassing the daylilies I'd bought from Gilbert Wild and Son much earlier in the year. So, buy full price from Breck's? No. Take advantage of their sales? Absolutely.
Negative ncbill
West Jefferson, NC
November 16, 2017
Posted on October 19, 2017, updated November 16, 2017
Posted on October 13, 2017, updated October 19, 2017
Posted on May 14, 2017, updated October 13, 2017
Posted on June 13, 2015, updated May 14, 2017
I was apprehensive about ordering from a Gardens Alive! affiliate. But the combination of clearance price and additional discount was too much to resist. I ordered a lot of plants.

They were shipped in a reasonable time, not quickly but respectably soon after I placed my order.

The plants I received were a respectable size, healthy, well-packed, well-marked. A very good value, if the actual blooms are true to the cultivars described and pictured online.

No complaints. Everything appears as it should be.
On May 14th, 2017, ncbill added the following:

Another order from Breck\\\\\\\'s this season. 17 calendar days from order to delivery. Not too bad.

A clematis was very nicely packed, a small plant/small root system, but very healthy.

Lily-of-the-Vally pips were average size, but look healthy. Very inexpensive.

Incarvillea tubers are fat and healthy looking.

Phlox roots are average, look OK.

I ordered a bundle of 2 Itoh peonies. Only one was sent. I called customer service to check on it. They were out of the plant, but it was no hassle to get a credit. They had offered both a single Itoh AND a bundle of 2, so it is easy to see how this mistake could happen. The root I did receive is huge and healthy. Customer service was very good. Terrific deal.

Columbines look healthy, average size.

Dutch iris bulbs are very nice size and healthy. Crocosmia bulbs smallish but healthy.

Hosta roots were healthy but smallish.

Everything was an excellent value and very nicely packed. Customer service handled a small mistake perfectly.

A good experience. I have ordered again.

On October 13th, 2017, ncbill changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

So hit and miss.

Plant quality and condition are inconsistent. Prices can be very tempting, and sometimes the plants are a good value. Customer service is good. Usually not a hassle to get credit for plants that fail.

I am veering to negative in my overall opinion because at the end of the spring season, I had ordered hundreds of plants that ultimately were not shipped. They kept moving the ship-date forward, over and over. I found out via live chat that they had already shipped all the spring orders--while my orders were showing pending with estimated ship dates. They had closed their shipping for the season, without even informing those of us who had outstanding orders. It took a long time to get the refunds worked out, and I never was convinced that I was properly refunded for all the things I had paid for that never shipped. In some cases, they had my money tied up for months, and they most definitely held my garden hostage for weeks on end. They kept me from taking advantage of other vendors\\\' clearances while I was (patiently, I might add) waiting for nothing.

Bad business policies. Iffy merchandise quality.

Not recommended.
On October 19th, 2017, ncbill added the following:

On July 4, I placed an order with Gardens Alive! dba Breck\'s. I paid for the order in full at the time of the order. In early October, I received a partial order. I know this is normal, so I didn\'t think much about it. When the remainder of the order hadn\'t arrived a week later, I investigated. The order was marked \"completed\" all shipped in one box, 1 tracking number, 8 pounds. The 8 pounds included the box, packing materials, 2 dozen ferns, 6 iris rhizomes, and 3 geraniums, all packed in plastic bags with dirt/peat. The missing 17 hostas in no way could have been packed in that 8 pound package. They were never packed or shipped to me.

Breck\'s CSRs refused to re-ship the missing plants, even though they are still listed in stock and available for sale. I could actually purchase them again, at FIVE TIMES THE PRICE I PAID IN JULY!!!!!!!!

I placed this order much earlier than I usually do, because I especially wanted these plants.

Gardens Alive! dba Breck\'s has cheated me several ways: by holding my money for 3 months and not sending me what I bought, by trying to directly steal from me, claiming they shipped items that they did not ship, by refusing to correct this \"mistake\", and by trying to gouge me on the \"replacement\" price of something I already bought and paid for.

A criminally dishonest company.
On November 16th, 2017, ncbill added the following:

I got sucked in to another one of their "deals."

I placed one order for 120 daylilies and a separate order for 120 irises. Almost immediately, I received a nearly hysterical email telling me I had placed duplicate orders.

I responded to three times to tell them the orders were definitely not duplicates, that the orders were VERY different, and NOT to cancel either order.

Then they cancelled one of the orders and sent me an email saying that had cancelled my order, "as requested." WTH?

You can't make this stuff up. Stunning incompetence PLUS deeply dishonest business practices. Yes, sometimes their prices are tempting, but this is a slimy, sleazy company that outsources their customer service to people who have no idea what they are doing and who do not speak English.
Negative franya4birds
Dundee, NY
November 16, 2017
Their products are very undependable in condition. I have received many great items but also dried up items and a root that was completely rotten. The last shipment irritated me. It was a rather large order of fall bulbs that I pre-ordered in May. They had a "sale" of fall planting bulbs and being May I was able to plan to fill spaces with specific colors in specific areas of my gardens.
The shipment came at a good planting fall time but when I opened the boxes I was surprised that three of five of my orders were substituted because they were out of stock. Now how could that be when I ordered in May! Nowhere do they ask you ahead of time May They Substitute. I was furious!
Negative Aussiegirl1
Tully, NY
October 26, 2017
Beware of "free plants" as an enticement. I ordered three types of bulbs on Sept. 11, and 3 weeks later received a shriveled tiny iris as my 'free plant.' Six weeks later I received a box with 2 flashlights (which I didn't order) and no bulbs. When I called Customer Service in India, I was treated politely, but informed that they would refund my money and unfortunately there were no bulbs available for reshipment. Breck's, you have seriously slipped in the customer service area and I will be ordering from American-based companies in the future.
Negative Jmiles
Rome, NY
September 24, 2017
Bought 3 Hibiscus, showed up after first snow fall, not 1 grew.
Complained, had to beg for replacement order, was to be recv'd this month. There's 1 week left & still hasn't ship'd.
Definate waste of time, energy & $$$,
They advertise nice plants,, but haven't seen them yet, wouldn't waste my time again
Neutral inflorescence
South Central, AL (Zone 8a)
September 19, 2017
For now I'm giving Breck a neutral rating, but I'm not happy. I placed an order and received an email telling me the order had shipped approximately a month ago. I have contacted them twice to find out what happened with my order and still have no idea really when to expect the bulbs. I told them I hoped the order wasn't held up in a hot warehouse rotting away somewhere and that I just wanted to know whether it has shipped or not. If not, I would like to know when I might expect it. Purchase at your own risk, but after two companies have not delivered what I paid for I've decided not to order from any company that is not within the top rated companies in the Garden Watchdog or unless I can see the bulbs, hold them in my hand, and physically leave with them from a store.
Negative Sterling1940
Talent, OR
July 29, 2017
We moved to Talent three years ago, and the neglected garden needs a LOT of work, and a lot of new plants. I was lured in by one of Breck's frequent "sales." I ordered columbines, daylilies, hardy geraniums, a bottle bush, a canna lily, and some phlox.
I see that others have had the same experience: My order was correctly filled... with dried up, shriveled roots in bags of wood shavings. I soaked everything for 24 hours, and planted all in a newly prepared [critter-proofed!] bed. I want to emphasize that growing conditions are identical for all these plants:
The phlox sent up a few tendrils and promptly expired. Three of the five columbines look like they'll make it. One never sprouted, and one other looks iffy.
Four out of six geraniums sprouted, of which two died within a week. Of the two that are left, one looks healthy, the other not so much.
The daylilies are scrawny, but living, and the bottle bush seems to be happy, as is the canna. It works out that 1/2 of my order died.
I have not taken this up with so-called customer service because I got a huge run-around on another order [ironically not mine!] and won't deal with them again.
This time I wrote snail mail, and asked them to remove my name from their mailing list because I do not wish to do business with them again.
This is especially in regard to their pricing, which seems to me an extroadinarily moving target. I do lots of comparison shopping because we are vets on SS. Using iris as an example, I directly compared their last "as much as 75% off!!" sale with an Oregon-based company which sent me beautiful fans. In every single case, Oregon's REGULAR cost was LESS than the "sale" at Breck's. I prefer to deal with companies who are no so volatile in the $ale front. I would suggest to those whose bulb experience is positive-- shop around a little. You may be surprised at what you find...
Negative Xanxost
Philadelphia, PA
July 5, 2017
Been ordering from Brecks for a while now, and lately have had nothing but problems.

First, ordered a lily collection, planted the bulbs in a new garden, and when they sprouted, one of them was a gladiolus. Of the 5 colors in the collection, I only got two.

Next, ordered a toad lily. Received a bag of dirt with a one inch long root not much thicker than a hair. It never grew.

Finally (one last chance), ordered 5 Odessa Calla (supposed to be black). What I got was mid-range purple (think Prince purple) on all of them.

I'm done ordering from Brecks. Quality control has all but vanished. I'll now only buy plants from my local nurseries.
Negative Midnightloki
Sugar Land, TX
June 22, 2017
Worse customer service ever. Placed 2 orders with them in the last 2 months. First order they substituted items. Second order they just sent an e-mail stating item not available and they altered the order and refunded the $ amount for the item. Sent an e-mail back telling them to cancel the total order and refund my money and confirm receipt of the request. No response. Called and talked to someone not in the United States. They hung up on me. Called back and finally got someone who could do something. Cancelled the order - waiting on my refund. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY - you will be totally disappointed.
Negative aarnold05
Naples, TX
June 19, 2017
I ordered the warm Clematis Collection in early spring. After waiting 7 weeks, I called the cs department. I was told the collection was on backorder and would be shipped within 7-10 business days. 3 weeks later, I again contacted customer service, only to be told this time that the order had been sent to shipping and should arrive within 7-10 business days. I waited a full 14 days, contacted customer service yet again, this time by email, and received a response that the order was still backordered but they would refund my shipping charges. I waited another 14 days, and contacted cs again. This time I was told the order had been cancelled. No refund was issued. Don't order from them. Take your business to your local nursery.
Positive zacchigl
Calgary ,
Canada
June 15, 2017
Just a quick hello from Calgary to all you wonderful people at Brecks Bulbs.

Just wanted to say Thank you for your great service and awesome plants.

I have ordered irises from you last year, and they are all coming up nicely

The plants I ordered from you just recently were shipped so fast , I hardly finished putting in my order and 3 days later I received them!

I had to spread the word on how wonderful your plants are, as I get so many compliments on my yard, everyone asks where do I buy my unique plants, as they can't find them in the garden centres here in Calgary!

You guys and gals are all Rock Stars!!!

Negative gprevost
San Jose, CA (Zone 9b)
May 22, 2017
I was searching the web for bearded Iris and an ad showed up for Breakers (a bearded Iris) for $3.74 which is a good price. It also showed a $25.00 coupon for an order over $50.00. I clicked on the ad for $3.74 and added 14 Breakers to my cart. The total for Breakers was 52.36. So far so good. I added the coupon for $25.00 off and the total for Breakers changed to 69.86 or 4.99 for each of the 14 Breakers. It did show the $25.00 off of $69.86.

I started a chat with them and after 15 min. of chat they offered me a $5.00 coupon which I declined as I was being overcharged $17.50 for the product. They told me that they do not allow more than one coupon per order even though I did not use a coupon when I ordered the Iris. I told the person on the chat that I considered this a Scam and would not order from them.

A few years ago, I did order from them and what I received was very small and did not have the increases that US growers send. Half of the plant did grow, but took an extra year to be large enough to flower.

In this case, I thought that the price was low enough to make it possibly worthwhile to live with the small plants.
Positive mussdoghcc
Sac City, IA
April 26, 2017
I have order from Breck a few times and have always been satisfied. I had one occasion when an iris was missed. I called and spoke with customer service and had a new one shipped no problem. I had a few fall planting that didn't come up in the spring, and they either sent me more or refunded the purchase price. That is pretty amazing to have kind of service. Also they have some sneaky great deals.
Negative dale3242
Palm Coast, FL (Zone 9b)
February 9, 2017
Posted on January 28, 2007, updated February 9, 2017
Breck\'s advertises \"Direct to You From Holland Since 1818.\" That is a lie. The current \"Breck\'s\" has only been in business for 4 years. I placed a $170 order with Breck\'s 5 years ago. That Breck\'s went belly up and I got nothing. Just be aware that this company has no long term history.
On February 9th, 2017, dale3242 added the following:

Just be aware that today's "Breck's" has been in operation since Gardens Alive! purchased the name in 2001 when Breck's went bankrupt. They falsely claim on their website that: "Celebrating 198 years in the Business of Blooms". I strongly recommend buying from a local nursery, not "Breck's".
Negative C0riander
Woodland, WA
December 15, 2016
My grandmother has used Breck's bulbs in her garden for many years and recommends them, so when a friend wanted garden gifts for her birthday, I ordered her a gift certificate from the website. I ordered many weeks in advance and had it shipped to my house so that I could include it in a package with other gifts and a card. Breck's turned out to be incapable of providing a simple gift certificate, or answering any inquiry about it.

The website promises that certificates will ship immediately, and my confirmation email promised that it would arrive in 10-14 days, which was still plenty of time to include in the gift. At 13 days I checked the order status on the website and the gift certificate had still not shipped. I emailed customer service requesting immediate shipment with expedited mail or an email copy, and 4 days later, I received a form letter indicating that the shipment would happen in another 3-5 business days and take 5-7 business days to ship. With the holidays coming up, this would put the order well past the birthday and perhaps not before Christmas.

I emailed again, asking more urgently for expedited service or at least an email copy I could include in the gift. Receiving no reply, I called customer service two days later. After keeping me on hold for 10 minutes, the rep promised to have the certificate information emailed to me the next day so that I could include it in the gift.

The next day came and went, and the only email I received from Breck's was a marketing promotion advertising that there was still time to order for the holidays. Insulting irony!

I received another form email the following morning, offering me no help or real information and saying that the certificate should ship in time for Christmas. I spent my lunch break calling customer service again, and spent 20 minutes on the phone with a nice man who tried to help me. After putting me on hold numerous times to call various other departments and managers, he managed to find out the status of my order, and admitted that there was nothing he or any person in sales and service could do to help me.

He indicated that they could only generate gift certificates from one paper printing machine that had been broken down for weeks and they were helpless to generate even email copies without it. He said that he would try to get me the certificate before Christmas, but that they were trying to cram in the several weeks of backlog in the next few days as the machine was expected to be fixed. There was nothing else he could do for me.

For a company that advertises so heavily regarding gifts, it is inconceivable to me that they would handicap their ability to generate gift certificates through such an insane process, allowing it to be delayed for weeks just before the holidays. The total inability of four different customer service reps to do anything about it, and the huge delays in getting an honest answer, were awful. Why even bother to have customer service when they can't actually achieve anything, and they don't even answer promptly or honestly?

Please take your money to a better catalog company. I'll go back to buying my family dahlias and gift certificates from a company we can trust.
Negative abado
Ellijay, GA
December 9, 2016
Beware! It's worth noting that Breck's is listed on BBB under a few company names. I feel like this is probably a company that concentrates more on volume and turnover than customer service or quality, so just keep that in mind when you order and have a back up plan.

This was my first time ordering from an online plant website and I probably won't do it again. I ordered the daylily collection 3 months ago and got a confirmation it shipped, but then never got it. The fedex tracking never left the warehouse. I waited because I thought maybe they were coming from Holland (obviously I don't know much about plants) and their website said they were in the middle of moving and to be patient. Advice: Don't be patient. :) Finally, I emailed...twice. Nothing. I called...the rep had an accent and I couldn't understand her. I'm usually pretty good at listening. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor 3 times. She kept avoiding it, then finally told me the supervisor was not there.

She kept trying to give me the money back (which at least was offered), but I explained I didn't want the money...I wanted the flowers I ordered and was promised. I asked if they could just send any daylilies. I didn't care which ones at that point. Just something to put in the ground for my mother. Nope. Everything was out of stock. "Why?" I asked. "The website still shows they are there." More putting me on hold and this time came back and said supervisor (who mysteriously appeared) said he gave his apologies and they would just issue a refund. I did an online chat just to see if it was someone who could understand and send SOMETHING. But, nope. Same thing. I'm done. Very disappointing experience. Why sell something you don't have? Why not try to substitute SOMETHING...ANYTHING for customers? I may have never received anything if I hadn't kept track and check in.
Positive lraff1
Colorado Springs, CO
October 3, 2016
My mom and I order dahlias from this company nearly every year. Mom also orders many daffodils and other bulbs which have consistently been excellent performers. Dahlia tubers this year from every supplier were of poor quality. The growing season was also stressful to the plants. However, when I sent photos of the dahlias that didn't grow or did not produce the expected plant, we received prompt credit to our account. We did not request a refund since we order regularly for many different varieties. Breck's does a pretty good job overall.
Negative YK
College Point, NY
June 25, 2016
I have ordered peony bulbs from Breck's, Very poor quality small bulbs with no eyes, Planted it and nothing ever came up. So disappointed!
Positive FlyingPotatoes
Fort Lauderdale, FL
June 20, 2016
I'm writing this review now since the dahlias I ordered have sprouted from the ground. This was my first experience with Breck's, I purchased the ultimate collection of 20 dahlias on May 7th and they shipped on May 23rd. I received follow-up messages in between those two dates to let me know that my order wasn't forgotten. It arrived three days later on May 26th. Each clump had at least two eyes and they were packaged in plastic bags with air holes.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the quality of my purchase, but if you want your orders to ship promptly then this might not be the place for you. The company doesn't following the shipping dates listed on their website.
Neutral hesperusaerie
Hesperus, CO
June 6, 2016
just received the plants I ordered from brecks, first time ordering and found some columbine that were not available elsewhere, at the same time I ordered some other columbine from another mail order that I could not find locally. brecks came as bare root, I mean really bare root, a few roots which were moist, and a stem about 1/4" long, also ordered the yarrow on sale, 5 in one plastic bag w/ some peat, moist roots but no stem, no leaves, just roots. could barely find the top of them, all matted together so had to tear them apart. I did plant them so I hope they grow. the other plants I ordered from the other company came as pots and look very healthy. considering the state I received the bare root, it would have been better to have ordered elsewhere. also the daylily tubers are miniscule, smallest I've seen. I usually order daylillys from Oaks but these were on sale and gorgeous colors in the photo. sure hope they grow but w/ that size of tuber I'm not that pleased. i'll report later when they have a chance to grow.
Negative rjohlman
Caledonia, WI
June 1, 2016
Posted on June 1, 2016, updated June 1, 2016
Ordered 16 different items early in the year to get good deals. They were to ship at proper planting time.

They took payment from credit card in May.

Got a confirmation June 1 that on June 3 they are to ship 4 items (various quantities). The rest (12 different items, various quantities) they WERE going to ship 7/9 - 7/15 ?! I asked, \"What the hell am I supposed to do with these in mid-summer!\"

While they\'re cancelling and refunding the rest of my order, I have learned the hard way.

Beware of ordering from Breck\'s!
On June 1st, 2016, rjohlman added the following:

Almost forgot: Breck's customer service is now in India. So now I always ask what country the person is located in. If they answer U.S., I ask, "What state?" Then I ask for the state abbreviation.

Just remember our privacy laws regarding private information don't apply overseas. I always insist (and get more forceful if they tried to avoid this) that they transfer to someone in the U.S.
Positive Lucille44
Conroe, TX
May 26, 2016
I happened onto one of their sale rose collections, came to about $3/rose with the coupon on the site added in, must be one of the best kept secrets around.
Huge healthy grafted bare roots. Planted and leafing out, can't wait to see the blooms. Will definitely order again. Note: their 'collection' sales of various plants have almost a cult following and sell out pretty fast. If all their plants are like the ones I got, it's no wonder.
Negative tiinaku
Rockville, MD
May 11, 2016
I would not recommend this company to anyone. I ordered last fall. There were numerous mistakes in the order - shipped to the billing address. Mistakes within the order. They shipped a second order to the correct address. I returned that. They refunded the money for the order to the credit card - but then said I owed money for the order. Customer service was very poor. One person does not know what the next one is doing - they seem to have very poor internal communication. I think there are better places to order from - save yourself months of annoyance.
Positive HM2015
Bristow, VA
May 5, 2016
Great service and easy to work with! Website clearly laid out. Awesome, in fact, the best guarantee policy if anywhere. I will definitely buy more ftom them when I buy bulbs and other plants.

Positive HeavenGeorge
Fairless Hills, PA
March 26, 2016
I've been gardening for years and have ordered from these companies (Breck's in particular) and have not had the issues mentioned. My bulbs and plants come clearly marks and appropriately packaged. I have found that if you pay close attention to the fact that squirrels enjoy dining on your bulbs you'd understand why some of them don't make it to the next season. Buy more of the same kind to up your chances on them making it and mulch thickly to avoid it. Bait the squirrels with something else like seed during the winter season. I honestly have had no issues with my orders though and their variety and quality has always enhanced my garden.
Negative WonkaChad
Lovettsville, VA (Zone 7a)
November 30, 2015
I got the email for free shipping on all fall planting bulbs for the week of Cyber-Monday from Breck's Bulbs. I chose a few & went through the process through the last step... "$9.95 Shipping." I did that 3 times without submitting the order through. Once I realized it wasn't something I was doing wrong, I opened a chat with Breck's Bulbs representative Stephanie. She reminded me free shipping was only valid on the FALL bulbs & then I gave her the item codes for the items on the FALL bulbs page that I intended to order. She offered me $4.95 shipping & then she realized I was right, all of the items were on the FREE shipping listed page. She offered to process my order for me, but I will not give a credit card number over chat or the phone, I will only use Paypal for these online transactions. She said she wasn't able to do that. She then said she could process the order for me then refund the shipping later. I just said "nope."

When she ended by asking if there was anything more she could do for me, I suggested she get that "FREE shipping on FALL bulbs" code fixed ASAP since it is supposed to be a Cyber-Monday thing & they just emailed it to a bunch of people that will be really annoyed that the "FREE SHIPPING" is really $9.95.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]