The scoop on 'Pinetree Garden Seeds'

Pinetree Garden Seeds

New Gloucester, Maine 04260 (United States)

Fax: 1-888-527-3337

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive hairyjo
Danville, CA
December 10, 2017
I have had great luck with their seeds. They are reasonable and come in the right size packets. (I can't deal with 2000 foxglove seeds!) No problems with germination at all.
Negative Syzyann13
Oldtown, ID
December 1, 2017
I have been ordering the majority of my seeds from Pinetree for many years. Last season, I ordered several seed packets as usual. After planting, I discovered that one seed packet, which was white kohlrabi, had a terrible germination rate. I even replanted using the leftover seeds, and I ended up getting three plants from a total of around 50 seeds.

I also planted what was supposed to be "Giant white radishes," and it turned out they were tiny red radishes, and very hot, almost inedible. Other seeds I got from them had a little lower germination from what I got in the past, but still bearable. I Emailed the company. After over a week, they Emailed back that they would refund the money for the packets. I said I didn't care about the few dollars for the packets, but I wanted some assurance that I could order seeds and expect a good germination rate and the correct plants to grow from them. They never Emailed me back. Sorry, but I cannot buy from them again.
Positive faerygardener
Murphys, CA (Zone 7a)
June 30, 2017
Posted on January 2, 2017, updated June 30, 2017
I order from them every year - great pricing, best shipping prices around, their selection meets most of my needs and I\'ve had fantastic germination from their seed. I\'m in the process of placing orders and just reviewed a spreadsheet I keep of seeds, have to say when I look over what I\'ve grown and tried to grow over the past years - their seed has consistently given me healthy plants (whereas some on the Watchdog 30 have consistently not germinated). I\'m so glad I reviewed my list (it was surprising as I hadn\'t sorted or tracked it by vendor in awhile). I trashed a few other orders - may place a second at Pinetree. The first one shipped almost immediately. I\'m a fan of this company.
On June 30th, 2017, faerygardener added the following:

Editing to add - it's June and I have growing plants for every packet of seed I ordered. I grew Rudbeckias, cucumbers, peppers and pumpkins from this order. Happy with the germination and strength of the seedlings.
Negative jgrott
Valatie, NY
June 29, 2017
I have been using Pinetree for the past 5 years now almost exclusively.What attracted me to them was the smaller size of the seed packets- I want fresh seeds and don't need say 200 cabbage seeds - the 25 or so in their packet was a more useful size for a small backyard garden. The lower price for a seed packet was also attractive. It is rather unfortunate that the germination rate with Pinetree has now become so low that I won't be able to order from them anymore.Lettuce seeds well below 50% peas below 50% many of these seeds were a complete wash out.I get better germination rates of 2 year old seed packets purchased freom Lowes than fresh seed from Pinetree. Though I don't want to incur the extra cost it looks like I am back at Johnny's from now on- I have never had a failure from them and the stated germination rates are accurate.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
March 27, 2017
Posted on August 30, 2004, updated March 27, 2017
Last fall I placed my first order with Pinetree. I ordered crocus vernus VERY late in the season so the results were only so-so, but that is to be expected. I also ordered oxalis, which were very good, but I was blown away by the gladiolus. I ordered 60, since at the price of $2.98 for groups of ten they were very inexpensive. Then I delayed terribly planting them, did not store them well in the meantime, and did not plant them deeply enough, requiring dislodging them in partial bloom to replant them, but the results are spectacular. Other in my area have glads but none of the size and vigor of mine. What would they look like if they were not abused? I intend to find out, when I place my next, and much larger order this fall.
On March 27th, 2017, DonnaMack added the following:

After many years, I just ordered some very hard to find seeds from Pinetree. I was wowed by some of the selections, a number of which are very unusual and relatively rare.

I got the loveliest email from them asking whether I had any issues. And they thought that they took a long time to fill my order (not so!) I received an email when they shipped. I received an email when they were delivered. I received a thank you.

And I just received an email that mentioned what they felt was too long a delay offering me 20% off my next order.

Excellent!
Positive purplethorns
Streetsboro, OH (Zone 5b)
March 20, 2017
Have ordered from this company for years. Don't trust ordering online because my computer skills are not great. Mail ordering works well for me. Have had no problems with germination of seeds, but I have my own potting mix that never fails...First order sent in wintertime..got message they would be late due to Maines bad weather events...If I had problems with this company, I would not reorder from them...problems haven,t happened yet.
Positive carolmo
Olathe, KS (Zone 5a)
December 17, 2016
They always have items I really want - they ship fast - the seeds are inexpensive - what is not to like? I am also gettin fancy strawberry plants in the spring - 3 pineberry, 10 june bearing, 10 everbearing - I do not want 25 plants of each - happy I spotted these. I like this company.
Positive DonShirer
Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a)
November 25, 2016
Posted on December 29, 2006, updated November 25, 2016
I have ordered vegetable seed from Pinetree for several years. Their packets have smaller amounts of seed suitable for home gardens (and cost less) so I find it easier to order new every year instead of trying to reuse old seed. Most of their seeds germinate and perform well in our New England climate. I experimented one year with Jicama, Okra and a few other hot weather plants which did not do well, but then I didn\'t expect them to here. Their flower and plant selections don\'t look too exciting, but they have a good selection of vegatable and salad seeds and I recommend them.
On November 25th, 2016, DonShirer added the following:

(added in 2016)I did have some recent germination problems with Armenian Cucumbers, Beets, etc., but in general I am still satisfied with their products.
Negative TheFluffyOne
Posted on April 23, 2010, updated August 6, 2010
Posted on February 21, 2010, updated April 23, 2010
Posted on February 2, 2010, updated February 20, 2010
Posted on March 23, 2009, updated February 2, 2010
The website is buggy as all heck. During the ordering process, I would order items, browse for a while, comeback and find out my cart was now empty. This was very, very frustrating.

After finally completing my order I discovered that there really was not way to contact anyone at the firm as the phone was always busy. After waiting 20 days without receiving a shipping notification I faxed in a cancel order as the phone was busy, e-mails were not responded to. I assume they are simply going through growing pains in a busy season. However I have certain expectations. One is that I know if my order will be filled, and two that I know when my items will be shipped and an anticipated ship date.

We all know certain plants need to be started indoors in certain climates, in particular Tomatoes, Peppers, and Alpine strawberries from seed. When you cannot get a confirmation that the order will be filled nor a shipping date you have to make a cut date to go to the local store and buy your seeds.

I\'ll try PineTree again next year and order very, very early. Once again I suspect the problem is simply a growth related issue. But currently, I would certainly not use them for an order after February if timeliness is important.
On February 3rd, 2010, TheFluffyOne changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Okay as stated last year, I gave PineTree another try. Placed my order on 01/23 and the seeds arrived on 02/01. Disappointed there were no \"shipped\" notifications or a way to tell if the order was fulfilled but I can\'t complain with the end result : great service. I have obviously not tried out the seeds or even inspected the packaging much, all I can say so far is the seed packets are unusual. Very strange looking.

On February 21st, 2010, TheFluffyOne added the following:

Okay now I have had time to look at my order. I really like the fact they print how many plants to the squarefoot on the packages, I wish all companies did this. But I have to wonder, given the simplicity of their packages why the don\'t simply use smaller packages. Oh well...great service, good overall prices.
On April 23rd, 2010, TheFluffyOne changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Well. now that I have had time to use the seeds purchased I\'ll make this observation - from my viewpoint the germination rate is not acceptable. Additionally the quantity of some of the seeds is very low, not normally a concern, but given the poor germination rate, I was a little surprised at the variance in the packages.

I am a seed conservator and buy a pack of seeds and keep them refrigerated for years. So I tend to expect a bit of decline. But I expect a good germination rate in the first year and these seeds are disappointing me. The germination rate from these Pinetree seeds make me think I will have to purchase seeds far more often than I wish and they really are not suitable for my purpose. I generally receive far better germination rates from any of the off the rack seed sources, of course the reason for mail order is to get the varieties you want.

For example I bought 6 varieties of lettuce and the germination rate is around 60%, which is about the same as my 4 year old lettuce seeds from my refrigerator. The 5 varieties of tomatoes germination rate was about 70%, which is lower than my 3 year old seeds. And I tried out 2 types of peppers and could not get single seed to germinate, but my 3 year old California Wonder peppers had no problems.

So in the end, great service, good prices, meager quantities, and a relatively low to poor germination rate.

At this point I don\'t know if I\'ll be ordering again and rather doubt it.

(in case anyone wonders how I keep seeds for so long, they are only out of the refrigerator for moments when I plant. I literally grab the bag I need and put all the others back under refrigeration, and then I try and get the seeds back under refrigeration in under 2 minutes. I think too many people take their seeds out, let them warm up too much and then put them back.)
On August 6th, 2010, TheFluffyOne added the following:

Well I have now started my fall crops so I have now attempted to use all the seeds I ordered. I remain beyond disappointed. the germination rate was between dismal to almost non-existent. I am truly disappointed and have never had a worse grouping of seeds. Not much more needs to be said here. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

On December 4th, 2010, TheFluffyOne added the following:

Add to Pinetree\'s list of transgressions mislabeled varieties. I made a sorry mistake. I was anxiously awaiting what as suppose to be my Big Red peppers to ripen, but they never sized up. Finally as they became a deep red I pulled them. Noting they were not stuffer sized but a little larger than golf balls. Unfortunately I made a mistake of sampling by cutting it with a knife and popping it into my mouth. Mother of gosh it was hot, so very hot. Mislabeled.

And the Kellogg\'s Breakfast tomato I ordered turned out ot be an old standby, the much meeker Golden Ponderosa despite the labeling on the package. I would know Golden Ponderosa anywhere.

So in the end, small quantities or mislabeled seeds with poor germination rates.
On January 26th, 2011, TheFluffyOne added the following:

After reading \"bevgar\" excellent observations and analysis regarding germination and what PineTree should do verses what they indicate they actually do, what I experienced makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight Bevgar.
On November 13th, 2016, TheFluffyOne added the following:

LOL, how this company stays in business is beyond me. I personally gave up ordering from Pinetree several years ago now. However, despise my warning him otherwise, a friend decided to place an order and against my better judgment I piggybacked on his order, as I was almost out of two types of my favorite lettuces: Tom Thumb and Bughatti.

I have no idea what seed they really sent but what was suppose to be Tom Thumb was not a dwarf butterhead but a full sized frilly looseleaf lettuce that bolted readily. As for the Bughatti,who knows as none of the seed ever germinated!

In summary, varieties that are not true to name and poor germination rates. I rate them a F -

Negative idahojo
Boise, ID
November 30, 2015
I've been ordering from Pinetree Seeds for about 20 years, and always recommended them; however, I think it's time for a change. In addition to poor germination of seeds and what I assume was improper labeling (as mentioned by others here) when I didn't get what I thought I had planted, as well as problems with their website, I now am frustrated by their customer service. I placed my order for almost $150 on Black Friday to take advantage of their 15% off sale, only to find out that on Cyber Monday, they were offering both 15% off and free shipping for orders over $75. When I complained that I felt duped because I could have saved the shipping if I had waited a few days, and asked if they would be doing the same next year, this was their response: "I'm sorry you missed out on this deal. I'm not sure what next year will bring. I would think we'd carry the same special, but only time will tell." No offer to refund the shipping. This is not what I consider good customer relations and I will be seed shopping elsewhere next year.
Negative luannewolf
Fayetteville, AR
November 10, 2015
Posted on August 24, 2014, updated November 10, 2015
I ordered Crystal White zinnia seeds that were supposed to be rounded, one foot tall plants with smaller white flowers. What they grew into were 2-3 ft tall plants with large white flowers. I ordered Candy Cane zinnias that were supposed to be pink and white striped flowers and what grew were zinnias that were the colors you get with zinnia seeds at the Dollar Store - loud pink, orange and yellow flowers. I ordered sunflowers that never sprouted at all.
On November 10th, 2015, luannewolf added the following:

I also ordered gladiola bulbs that barely sprouted, were very small, and never bloomed. Also ordered cucumber seeds that did not sprout.
Negative LindaRmfg
Willow Springs, MO
August 25, 2015
I am sorry to post a negative comment as I have purchased from them for several years and appreciate the low prices. But both last year and this, my experience has been negative. Seeds are mislabeled, the package name is correct but what's inside is not. Kentucky Wonder Wax seeds grew some type of super tough "green" bean, not the yellow variety. Vermicelli winter squash seeds turned out to be some unidentified summer squash. Bush watermelons turn out to be indeterminate vines of some type. One package of delicata squash was actually empty. They did replace it, though the cust. service rep on the phone commented that she "hoped they would get it to me in time to plant, as they were very busy". But most times no one is there when I call, and their website never seems to work when I want to leave comments or reviews. Very frustrating overall.
Negative esanita
Tyaskin, MD (Zone 7a)
June 3, 2015
Posted on April 20, 2015, updated June 3, 2015
I\'ve ordered from Pinetree for many years. The last few years the germination rate had been deteriorating. This year I had several total germination failures (eggplant, hyacinth bean, tomatillo, more). I\'m a long-term seed grower and have had almost 100% germination success with seeds from other companies this year.

The 10 strawberry plants I ordered were alive but teeny -- the smallest strawberry plants I\'ve every seen. I\'m hoping they\'ll survive.

As much as I like Pinetree\'s prices, I won\'t be ordering from them anymore.

On June 3rd, 2015, esanita added the following:

The tiny strawberry plants survived and grew beautifully. Now fruiting and sending out runners. The seeds are still a disappointment.
Negative LandscapeMosaic
Westport, MA
April 10, 2015
The web site is Byzantine and needs to be made customer friendly. Payment is by PayPal, which requires membership. Payment by check using the US Postal service was misplaced by the company. My seed order was delayed a month. The plants I ordered were sold out by the time I was contacted, even after I called to confirm that my order had been received. I am disappointed before I even receive the order. I only hope that the germination rates on their seeds are good. I wanted to try this family run company and placed a substantial order. I usually shop at Johnny's and the Seed Savers Exchange. In future, I would not use Pine Tree Seeds and would not recommend the company.
Positive swede620
Marquette, MI
March 25, 2015
I've been ordering from Pinetree for seveal years and have been very pleased with their service. This year I ordered via internet and did not receive my seeds. When I called to find out what was going on, I was told that they had received my order but were unable to locate a tracking number so they would resend my order tomorrow rather than spend time trying to figure out what happened to my order.

Things I like most about Pinetree are:
1. The quality of their seeds; I always have good germination rates.
2. The seed packets themselves are plain with pertinent information plainly visible - no searching necessary amongst the glitter.
3. Seed numbers are reasonable; as a small gardener I have no need for 40 or 50 seeds per pack as they end up getting too old to use before I can finish the pack.
4. The cost of their seeds is about the lowest I've been able to find (perhaps in part due to low-cost packaging). All my seed packs were under two bucks.
5. Reasonable shipping. On a couple of my orders from other companies, the cost of shipping was equal to the cost of the seeds.

I highly recommend Pinetree Seeds.

Positive Lysie
Waldron, IN
February 2, 2015
I placed an order on the phone on 1-26-15 for seeds. The person on the phone was very nice. I received an email when the seeds were shipped and they gave me a tracking number so I could see where my package was. I received the seeds Feb. 2, 2015. I have one item on back order. If they had told me that on the telephone I would have ordered it else where. I really liked the prices in their catalog and I think the order shipped very quickly.
Positive chadinlg
Los Gatos, CA
January 12, 2015
I have ordered from PineTree many times over the last 20 years and never been disappointed. Their selection has even improved over the years. Small quantities of seed at a fair price, and quick service.
Positive lakenvelder
Chapman, KS
May 21, 2014
I used to order from Pinetree for many years when I had a small company. I had good germination rates and very good service. If you are looking for smaller package sizes this is a great company.
Positive ggardens
Mason, MI
May 5, 2014
Made my seed and tuber order on-line in December, had a little difficulty with the website so had to call but my problem was solved promptly and courteously. Seeds arrived in a week or so, the one pkt that was no longer available credited back to my card. Potatoes and ramps arrived this spring at perfect planting time. No fuss, no muss - just good product and service. Thank you Pinetree!
Positive mac24
Litchfield Park, AZ
April 26, 2014
I've ordered from Pinetree multiple time over the years and the seeds have always performed well, in a variety of different climates.

The orders were always filled and shipped quickly without any problems.

Great prices, especially in an era where seed costs have gone up rapidly. Shipping is inexpensive as well.

An excellent choice for someone who wants small, inexpensive seed packets, like a small home gardener. Pinetree gives you a very good value proposition.

Interesting catalog.

I will buy from Pinetree again.

Negative Catskills
HIGHMOUNT, NY
February 20, 2014
I've been a Pinetree Gardens customer for many years and referred friends there. The website was always buggy so I just mark up the catalog and order by phone. In the past they had excellent deals on trays, inserts and mulch, in addition to seeds. They became my primary seed source with various additions from Seed Savers, Johnny's, Thompson & Morgan, Irish Eyes, etc.
But, something clearly happened to this company several years ago. Per the other comments, I'm guessing around 2009. For myself, the final straw has been deteriorating germination rates, declining to completely unacceptable last year and even total failure in a couple of cases. (I am an experienced and successful indoor/greenhouse seed starter as our last frost is 5/31.) Is this old seed? Poorly stored seed? No idea. I also got a couple of mislabeled varieties that were very annoying.
One friend I referred to Pinetree last winter was utterly scathing about her experience with their seeds. So, not only did I have several total germination failures but I caused a friend to as well.
My experiences with customer service have generally been good, meaning they will re-send, but I can't take the chance any more with our very short season. I'm sad to say I won't take the chance with them again, when I can find most things on racks at the various stores and order special items from other vendors. Special hat tip to Adams Fairacre Farms stores who stock many seeds from many sources.

Sad to write this, and hope these comments spur a change in attitude at Pinetree.
Positive Lauraleigh
Rutledge, MO
February 19, 2014
I have ordered from this company for the past 5 years, and been pleased with what I got. This year, there was a problem with items getting lost in the mail, so I had the opportunity to experience their customer service, which was excellent. They are shipping replacement items, and dealing with the postal service. This is very much better treatment than I have received under similar circumstances from other companies. Thanks, Pinetree!
Positive src84
Santa Maria, CA (Zone 9a)
January 30, 2014
Great prices decent shipping prices
sent me conformation of seeds being sent
sent my seeds super fast! Cute seeds packets I was very happy with my order and will order from them again
A++
Positive rrho
Batavia, NY
December 13, 2013
have been a repeat customer for years. germination rate is great. prices are reasonable. happy with their selection of seeds.
Positive RJG
Calgary,
Canada
November 18, 2013
I had a very positive first experience with Pinetree. I found their prices & postage very reasonable, and their service level is first rate. Packaging & the necessary Canadian customs declarations were completed perfectly.

I ordered a number of hybrid tomato seed packages after discovering they have Moreton (F1) sourced from Harris at very reasonable prices. Moreton F1 availability is the result of the Rutgers/Harris project to bring back the most flavourful Jersey tomatoes. //njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/MoretonTomato.htm The seed counts are more than sufficient for a home gardener.

I have bookmarked Pinecraft and will place another order once the winter passes.
Positive Toni05
Brookfield, IL
July 9, 2013
Posted on August 31, 2006, updated July 9, 2013
I know it's late in the season, but while browsing through GWD, I decided to add my two-cents in now.
I've been ordering from Pinetree about eight years now and never had any problems. SEeds all germinated on schedule and seeds were delivered promptly.
When it's time to order seeds, Pinetree is the place to order from.
On July 9th, 2013, Toni05 added the following:

Placed an order for annual seeds. Seeds are fresh, and each packet, securely wrapped. Fast shipping. Thanks.
Positive Honolulumonkey
Honolulu, HI
May 7, 2013
When I was a kid I requested my first catalog from Pinetree after seeing a tiny advertisement they had in one of my grandmother's organic gardening magazines. Reading their catalog was always exciting for me. I remember giving my mom my allowance money to write checks for my orders. One of the first things I grew was "Connecticut Field" pumpkin. That was 20 years ago.

Since then, I have moved to the city and haven't always had the opportunity (land or space) to grow things. But when I do I always remember to check their current offerings. They have a good variety and offer very affordable prices. I appreciate that they are not a pretentious company- their website is simple and so are their packets.

I especially like their flower selection; the "Kong" sunflower being one of my favorites, and different varieties of marigolds, zinnias, calendulas, etc.

It's funny that they are in Maine and I'm in Hawaii, 1/4 of the world away (6 time zones). However, they always process my order quickly and it only takes a few days even with USPS.
Positive ChrisAnne
Newtown, PA
March 23, 2013
I have been ordering seeds and supplies from Pinetree for many years. There have been occasional germination issues, but no more so than from much more expensive vendors. Service, selection and pricing have always brought me back.
Negative Tikaani
Shelton, WA
March 20, 2013
I placed my order, which included frost protection on the 10th of March and just now (March 20th) received a notice from UPS, NOT Pinetree that my order will not arrive until the 27th of March AFTER the danger of frost is over. So disappointed, its supposed to snow tonight and I had to go out and buy burlap to protect my strawberry plants. On top of that, I never received a confirmation email from Pinetree that they received and were processing my order. I received a phone call from my bank saying they processed the transaction as a debit card transaction and not as a credit card without my knowledge. This is the very reason I like to pay by Paypal and not by credit card, however Pinetree does not offer this option. We'll see what happens when I receive the order, but so far, I'm not impressed.
Positive ransom3
Zephyrhills, FL
March 7, 2013
I love doing business with Pinetree. The seeds are high quality, very affordable, germinate well and produce the results Pinetree says they will. The service is also the fastest I have ever experienced.
Positive Buddy44
Eagle Rock, VA
January 24, 2013
Posted on January 15, 2011, updated January 24, 2013
Posted on February 25, 2010, updated January 15, 2011
Posted on June 8, 2007, updated February 24, 2010
I have been a coutomer for at least 10 years. They have a good selection at a very good price. I have never had any trouble with germination unless I did something wrong. Will continue to be a faithful customer.
On March 19th, 2008, Buddy44 added the following:

Great selection and prices. Quick to ship your order.
On April 20th, 2009, Buddy44 added the following:

I don't understand the negative comments. I made two orders this year, one large and one small. Both arrived in a timely manner with no problems. I will continue to give them my custom.
On February 25th, 2010, Buddy44 added the following:

This year's order came within 3 weeks. Everything was shipped. Another great experience!
On January 15th, 2011, Buddy44 added the following:

Ordered online on January 11, 2011 and had my seeds on January 14, 2011. Fastest turnaround I have had. The seeds always germinate well for me, either in my greenhouse or directly sown.
On January 24th, 2013, Buddy44 added the following:

Seed order mailed out the day I ordered. Ordered the forgotten seeds the next day and asked that they be added to the first order to save shipping costs. That's when I found out how efficient they had been. They shipped my second order free. What a great company.
Positive grannieannie2
Newark,
United States
January 12, 2013
Have used Pinetree for a couple years and liked the small packets, their quick shipping, their accuracy, the whole shebang was grand.

Then there was one kind of seed they didn't carry so last year I ordered from another company and had a very bad experience with them (Millington), so now I'm back to Pinetree who have been completely reliable and trustworthy and will keep getting my business til death us do part.
Positive miles2go
Saginaw, MI
January 4, 2013
Placed an internet order for a book and several packets of seed on a Sunday afternoon and received the order on Thursday (even though there was a holiday in between). I am looking through the catalog again to see what else I might need for the spring!
Positive CrowMeris
Greene, NY
January 1, 2013
I've always been pleased with Pinetree. I've had a germination failure here and there over the many years I've done business with them, but I count a whole lot more successes than failures.

I really like the small seed counts - and the corresponding low prices - this lets me do some experimenting without busting my budget.
Positive livinonfaith
Fuquay Varina, NC
December 28, 2012
Ordered from this company last year. Had a very good transaction and the seeds grew well. The prices were also very good. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive midvalleydad
Dickson City, PA
December 27, 2012
Ordered 30 different types of seeds from Pinetree for my summer 2012 garden, and this garden was my best so far. I LOVE Pinetree seeds. I've ordered from them in the past, and they definately deserve a "Top 5" rating for all-around value, and the germination and performance are both top shelf. I'll be ordering from them again for my 2013 garden.
Positive suzy_qu3
East Chatham, NY
November 26, 2012
Posted on January 5, 2011, updated November 26, 2012
Posted on January 1, 2011, updated January 5, 2011
Posted on October 5, 2004, updated January 1, 2011
I ordered pumpkin and gourd seeds for our 4H club. The seeds arrived promptly and I got more per packet than I expected. They sprouted well and the kids got a very good crop. The gourds were especially cute and colorful.
On January 1st, 2011, suzy_qu3 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Spring of 2009 was apparently very busy for them as it took forever to get my seeds. I called and they were very friendly. I did get my seeds in time - no damage done.

This past year 2010 is a deal breaker. I had come to suspect that there were germination issues, but always passed it off as my poor soil or technique or better yet - blame it on the kids. IN 2010 I got NOT ONE stinking pumpkin or gourd to grow. One cucumber vine sprouted and this is the second year in a row. In the past, with Pinetree seeds, I have grown more cukes than I know what to do with, Tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse were OK, but I think by now I should get better results that what I got. The cabbage tribe did fine, flowers, not so much. Greens are always good. Any time I get a "mix" of something, it's not much a mix as it's mostly one variety, with one or two others in there somewhere. Other products I received promptly and in good condition.

I may come back to this company, but this year I'm going to try something else after 5 or 6 years spending $75 - $100 with Pinetree.
On January 5th, 2011, suzy_qu3 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I upgraded my rating for now because of the nice little surprise I found in my mailbox. Pinetree sent me 5 new seed packets to replace the ones I complained about in my previous comment. It had a nice personal note included from the owner. I have to give them credit. To be perfectly honest, they have always been good to me and I have enjoyed their products in the past. I just can't ignore some possible germination issues.

I will try some seeds from different suppliers this year and see if I notice a difference. Also, I will give these free seeds a chance and see what happens. If I have better luck, I will upgrade my rating.
On November 26th, 2012, suzy_qu3 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I have ordered various seeds since my last rating and have not any any further issues. Must have been a bad year.
Positive greenbrain
Madison, IL (Zone 6b)
October 30, 2012
Posted on November 12, 2010, updated October 30, 2012
I've ordered seeds from this company for the past few years. Always a positive experience. Some OP veggies, I've saved seeds & have been re-planting for 3 years or more. Order always received timely & accurately with no back orders.
On October 30th, 2012, greenbrain added the following:

This year (2012) again was very positive. A reliable company that has never let me down. My seed source for trombone squash & unusual veggie varieties.
Positive nh248
Strafford, NH
July 28, 2012
This was the first year I have ever ordered anything from this company. I was a little leery because their prices were low,
compared to the bigger companies. I was delighted when my order came a couple of weeks after I placed it. I was also happy to find out that there weren't as many seeds in each packet as the big guy usually give you...What a great idea. I don't need 300 tomato plant seeds in each envelope, and I'm sure all other backyard gardeners don't either. I'm grateful for the lower prices.
Yesterday I harvested my first tendersweet carrots and was pleasantly surprised. I have been gardening for over 40 years, and these were the nicest looking, best tasting carrots I have ever grown. Everything else has flourished too. I'm now into my second planting of radishes, spinach and lettuce.
I am planning on planting some more carrots soon and allow them to over winter. From now on, I will be ordering all my seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds.
Positive spicetail
Mansfield, OH
July 6, 2012
no problems with things i have received, good prices on lower quanity of seed

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]