Horticultural Products and Services (HPS)

View Their Product Listing

334 West Stroud Street
Randolph, Wisconsin 53956 (United States)
1-800-322-7288
1-888-477-7333

Reviews:

Displaying the 19 most recent reviews

On Feb 28, 2014, woof12 (17 reviews) from Philadelphia, PA

Another company with rotten customer service. First they say they have no more free catalogs, but afterwards they can send one if I pay them for it. Some free catalog.

On May 15, 2013, Mylena1 (13 reviews) from Cliff Island, ME

I always ordered seeds from Jung Seed and never had problems. This spring I decided to order some flower seed from this company and now I regret. The seed packages didn't contain any information at all about the plant and its growing. The seed of two different kinds of impatiens, petunia and zinnia didn't germinate, I had to sow twice and now I have just a few petunias and zinnias, the impatiens were a complete failure. I ordered flower seed in three different companies this spring and the seed from HPS is the worst. I am very disappointed.

On Jun 12, 2012, Calalily (40 reviews) from Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a)

I have only ordered a few things from this company but the seeds and germination rates were good, their shipping was timely and service was excellent.

On Mar 8, 2012, taufgardner (21 reviews) from American Fork, UT

Posted on January 19, 2011, updated March 8, 2012 Posted on January 26, 2010, updated January 19, 2011 Posted on January 5, 2010, updated January 25, 2010 Posted on February 25, 2007, updated January 5, 2010 I ordered from HPS for the first time this year. The seeds that I have opened were visibly superior to others. I have already started my pepper seeds and they germinated at 100%, which is unusual in my experience with peppers. The order came promptly, was well packaged and complete. I have absolutely no complaints and will use HPS as my primary source from now on. The prices, while high, are well worth it.

On January 5th, 2010, taufgardner added the following: The peppers I planted, Big Bertha, were great! Excellent production and taste. The tomatoes I planted, Big Bite, were likewise great, with huge, uniform and good-tasting fruits. Good production from both. I started using HPS because they had stuff I couldn't get elsewhere (I found them after a LENGTHY internet search for an item). Now I will use them as my primary source and will only order from others the items that I want that HPS does not carry.
On January 26th, 2010, taufgardner added the following: Yeah, I know I keep adding to my entries, gotta get a life, but wanted to state that my 2010 order came as ordered and in good condition and timely. I have found that HPS seeds produce true to type better than some other catalog's seeds and I trust them.
On January 19th, 2011, taufgardner added the following: Another good seed order. One thing that they did this year that showed an extra effort was to send me out the seeds they did have and let me know that a packet was on back order. At first, I was worried I might not get that other seed in time (I know it's still waaaay early). Not the case. The back ordered item came a couple of days later and still ahead of seeds I ordered the same day from other companies. They could have waited and saved the extra shipping cost they incurred, but they wanted to be prompt with as much of the order as possible. All three of their sister companies from which I ordered (the Jung family of seed catalogs) were the first orders to arrive. Very impressed and excited for another successful year with this company's seeds. Always good germination rates and very true to type. If there were a better rating than positive, I'd change my rating to that.
On March 8th, 2012, taufgardner added the following: Was my primary supplier this year. Seeds came within a few days of ordering. I like this company a lot, seems to be the best of the associated companies, such as Jung and Totally Tomatoes, although I like them all. I planted some three year old Big Bertha pepper seeds with germination that compared favorably with new seeds of other varieties I bought this year. I attribute this to their somewhat unique packaging.

On Feb 15, 2009, JudyF (10 reviews) from Waukegan, IL

I have ordered from this company for several years now, and find their seeds to be of excellent quality with excellent germination. I especially enjoy the many varieties of petunias they carry; I have made some spectacular hanging baskets with varieties I cannot buy at my local nursery. They also stock some of my favorite varieties of tomatoes and peppers. My orders have always been filled promptly and correctly, though I admit I always try to have my garden planned and my seeds purchased before January 1.

On Sep 2, 2008, WendyCal (1 reviews) from Beeville, TX (Zone 9a)

i just had to pick a holiday weekend to do my ordering, and, because we have recently moved, my billing addy couldn't be verified or some such thing. i tried three times to place my order, with the only outcome being that my credit card was charged 3 times. i didn't realize that they had already charged me, and was kind of shocked to see three debits when i looked at my checking account. i haven't received any emails even acknowledging my order, yet, and the emails i sent on their website have, of course, not been answered, what with the long weekend. i tried to call this morning, but it was a recording that answered and, instead of just TELLING me the regular business hours, they blathered on, referring me to my catalog, the dwhich of which i don't have since i was using the ONLINE catalog! Cripes. To make matters worse, the recording then just hung up on me, and try as i might, i haven't found ANY info on the website regarding hours nor phone numbers. i do have their phone number from the bank charges, and i see y'all have it posted here, also. This just sux, because it isn't anyone's fault, other than my bad timing, but i just hate to start off on the wrong foot with a new company, especially one that carries a LOT of stuff that i want! lol Oh. And if i sound grouchy, i'm really not ~ i'm just dreading being the problem-child-customer that some service rep will have to deal with first thing after their nice, long weekend. Poor thang! lol On a positive note, i thought the prices were quite reasonable ~ it may have been what i ordered (a bunch of different Coleus seeds), but they were the least expensive and had the best selection, and as the other poster pointed out, the shipping and handling charges being a flat rate really helps!

On September 21st, 2008, WendyCal added the following: Sept 21 - Got everything straightened out with them and my seeds arrived quickly. i planted them in the 'good days' at the beginning of Sept ( 3 - 7), by direct sowing and by germination in egg cartons. NONE of the seeds have sprouted. i'll be contacting them again tomorrow and holding off on my final rating until, well, something happens.

On Jul 28, 2008, Phebe (4 reviews) from Joppa, MD

HPS may be a supplier to commercial greenhouse people more than to ordinary gardeners, but I bought a lot from them this season, in several orders. While it is true the prices are high, they have a set S&H price --- which considering I was outfitting a new greenhouse with heavy flats and such, was a savings to me. Their selection of equipment and chemicals is excellent. The seeds are very good. They were always extremely fast in delivery of the order. I'll be ordering again.

On Feb 20, 2007, sirtanon (1 reviews) from Buckeye, AZ

I have ordered seeds from HPS quite a few times over the last couple years. Roughly 90% of the seeds I've ordered have been tomato seeds, with the other 10% being mostly peppers. To date, I have yet to have a single order that did not arrive promptly, packaged well and in good condition. All seeds have come in foil packs, tightly sealed and well labeled. I have germination tested all of them at at least 90% germination, and most have come in at pretty much 100%! I have bought in both smaller and larger quantities, but so far, each and every variety and order has been great! They are my main source.

On Jan 26, 2007, boxcar_grower (5 reviews) from South Hadley, MA (Zone 6a)

First time buyer this winter (2007) All the items arrived promptly within a week. My order mostly consisted of supplies and a few bulk seed orders. I was impressed.

On May 24, 2006, TJ9 (5 reviews) from Berlin, NH

p

On Feb 6, 2006, cowgardener (30 reviews) from Southport, ME

This company seems to have improved its service. The seeds arrived quickly, in foil packs and have generous quantities for the price. We have grown some of their more unusual varieties (like single color double snapdragons) & have had good garden performance from them.

On Jan 5, 2006, gdemars (1 reviews) from Westfield Center, OH

Been buying seeds from this company for years with so so results. Seems they are now really on the ball, internet order was 100% delivered within 7 days

On Jun 26, 2005, Plant_Geek (3 reviews) from Chardon, OH

Great selection of high quality seed at a resonible price. Impatiens, morning Glories and perennials all have excellent germination rates.

On Apr 30, 2005, lego_brickster (14 reviews) from Lawrenceville, PA (Zone 5b)

This is the second year I have ordered seeds from HPS. In both cases, the order was shipped promptly, and there were no problems. This is a good company if you want bulk annual seeds, but if you're looking for specialty seeds, particularly perrenials, there are other companies with greater varieties. Overall a good experience. I have never had a need to contact thier customer service.

On Mar 7, 2004, jlklun (3 reviews) from Flint, MI

I have had occasion to use HPS twice so far this year for materials and seeds. The order was shipped pretty promptly. The order was complete. The material was very well packaged. Everything was exactly as represented. I will have no questions about using them again.

On Mar 26, 2003, kennyr (8 reviews) from Saugus, MA (Zone 6a)

Placed an order for some flower and other seeds and none of the impatiens seeds I ordered sprouted. I tried all the different methods to germinate the seeds for double blossom and New Guinea imatiens, and neither type would germinate even after 50 days. I tried calling HPS, but get a continual busy signal. I also tried Schumway (shown on the HPS catalog and seed packets) and also Jung and also get a busy. Also went to HPS web site to leave an email, but even that link will not work. Its appaent that they are not supporting the buying public. I recommend staying away from them! My bad seeds cost me over $45.

On Dec 29, 2002, RyanB (3 reviews)

I used to have a greenhouse business and we ordered most of our seed from HPS. Seemed to me they had a lot of back-orders or very late shipments. Order early so that you can get all the back-ordered items from another company. Otherwise, they're a decent company to deal with, and good germination rates.

On Dec 12, 2002, schultz (3 reviews)

I called to check on availability. Received order promptly! Will purchase from them again. Very pleased.

On Dec 1, 2001, Horseshoe (21 reviews) from Efland, NC (Zone 7a)

I've dealt w/HPS for over 9 yrs now. They've been very good at getting orders out quickly and their products are of good quality. (Their seed packs even come in airtight packs.) On one occasion I ordered two kiwi plants and I was disappointed with one of them due to its size and lack of a good root system. (I had previously ordered some several yrs earlier and was astounded at the healthy trees I had rec'd at that time.) HPS immediately called their supplier (Jung's) and not only replaced the small one but sent out two more exceptionally healthy trees. Considering all the orders I've placed with them and all the yrs I've done business with them I feel this to be a minor discrepancy and am very pleased with the resolution. By the way, they also handle orders for R.H. Shumway's, another of my favorite companies. (And here's a tip: Shumway's does not have a toll-free number to call for placing your order but HPS does. So call the HPS number and place your Shumway's order thru them and save the cost of a phone call.

» Read the rest of the reviews