Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

The scoop on 'Cactus Store (Cactusstore.com)'

Cactus Store (Cactusstore.com)

2619 E. Lynne Lane
Phoenix, Arizona 85042 (United States)

Comments:

Positive dominus514
Rome, PA (Zone 5b)
February 28, 2019
This company received my order, immediately acknowledged it, and order was received in a couple of days. They do germination tests and warn you if that rate is low, often sending extra seed in the packet as recompense. Cactus and succulent seeds are very tricky and oftentimes take weeks and months to germinate under ideal conditions. Most seeds that I buy from them germinate in 1 week to 3 months. Some need light or darkness; smoke treatments, abrading, soaking, exacting soil mixes (Hint: NO PEAT), etc. to germinate. This information is hard to find but Richard is quick to answer any questions you ask him since the horticulturist at Lowes seem to know nothing about these specialty plants. Not for the average person but a dedicated hobbyist would do well to frequent this business.
Positive sandybeech
Spartanburg, SC
January 11, 2019
Very happy with my Euphorbia candelabrum seed order. Ships quick. Good job!
Neutral balboos
Freeport, NY
January 4, 2019
As noted by others, quick acknowledgment of order and pretty quick delivery.

I have four succulents started from the seeds I bought - several 'mixed' packs of 100 seeds each. There were quite a few that sprouted and died -

"Baby" succulents can be very difficult - seeds that are hard to see sprout into seedlings with very little moisture content. One wrong move and that thread with tiny leaves is kaput.

If you're new to sprouting these desert dwellers, I suggest getting some cheap (like at a garden store) cactus seeds and learn how to grow them. They're a bit easier and the seeds are roughly the size of poppy seeds - comparatively tremendous!

You need skill AND luck to get these to grow.
Negative rkidz55
Cisco, TX
July 23, 2018
I actually feel scammed by this website because they publish nothing but positive reviews, even here people were ripped off but they left a positive review. So as a Horticulturist and growing cactus for 40 yrs I proceeded to order several 1000 seeds from them for various species of cacti and one pack of Whitethorn acacia. They were grown in my greenhouse in sterile medium and kept moist every day. Out of a 100 acacia seed only 4 sprouted. Out of 2000 cactus seed only one species had over 50% germination, most had none and there was less than 10 seedlings come up out of nearly 60 packets.

I was ready to report their poor germination but when I read their warranty I found there were no guarantees after 21 days. And they were clear there were no exceptions. It was now about 30 days.

I also found out that they do not harvest there own seed and buy from anybody who offers them. So how can they guarantee freshness? They can't, and they don't, and I have dealt with plenty of asian companies that deal in old seed which they probably buy from as well.

Anyway, just a warning to stay away from this company because they are about as crooked as they get.
Positive vineymaple
Grand Mound, WA
February 7, 2017
The seeds arrived promptly and have started to sprout! Look forward to getting more desert plant seeds from this vendor.
Neutral elfeik
Near Kansas City, MO (Zone 6a)
September 3, 2016
I would give a 2 out of 5 rating. I ordered 25 seeds of 8 types -

2 no results

3 1-10 grew

2 11 - 20

1 20 +

When I contacted them their response was -

"Germination rates depend upon conditions -- even
I get different results from testing the same batch of seeds --- from 0 % to 90% -- and I can't figure out what I did different."

Apparently it doesn't stop them from sell 0% seeds

At the same time I started 10 seed types from Amazon & Ebay all of which I have got some to near 100% results
Positive LenchoD
Riverside, CA
September 8, 2015
I have ordered twice from this company with outstanding results each time. The last order was placed late night on Friday 9/4/15. It shipped the following day and arrived on Tuesday 9/8/15.
Positive hippiedaisy
Tyler, TX
April 9, 2015
I had a very satisfying experience, buying from this website.

I purchased a variety pack of 100 cactus seeds for an excellent price. I received a prompt confirmation email when my order was placed and another one when the order was shipped the next business day.

I planted the seeds when they arrived a couple of days later and was happy with the results. Almost all of the seeds sprouted.

I would absolutely recommend this website.
Positive AnnieB123
Bergen,
Norway
June 22, 2014
I placed a small ($21) order online the 13th June, 2014. I got a confirmation email quite literally within minutes with tracking info. The seeds arrived in perfect condition in my mailbox coincidentally on my birthday yesterday 21st June.

Given the vagaries and unreliability of Norwegian post, that is nothing short of astounding.

I -love- the seeds (all of which came in very generous packages more or less 125% of the stated quantities).

I will absolutely be ordering again. Wonderful service!
Neutral nel5397
Groveland, FL
March 22, 2014
I ordered some Catclaw Acacia seed and I couldn't get them to germinate. I wonder if the seeds were old or they are just difficult to germinate.
Positive Minime8484
Chandler, AZ (Zone 9b)
February 1, 2013
Was a bit reluctant to order seeds from them because they have so many really rare species listed as seeds only (no plants available), and several listed with very old names. Not sure where they get their seeds from, but I went ahead and ordered 5 packets of seeds (100-500 seeds each).
Shipping was very prompt, and communication was excellent. Seeds arrived in great condition, and I planted them within 4 days.
Hopefully, I will have success with all species ordered and that they are true to species advertised (though it may take a few years to ascertain!).
Positive SincereDeer
Coos Bay, OR (Zone 9a)
September 9, 2012
Ordered a good lot of seeds and am very pleased. Shipping was fast and everything was packaged very well. When they only had one pack of Fenestraria rhopalophylla seeds when I had ordered two, I was informed very quickly and refunded promptly.

The only problem was with the seed count... all packs of 100 seeds had 50~70 seeds instead and it was pretty noticeable visually. I understand lithop seeds since they're so tiny, but cacti too? It's not really a big deal for me personally since the seeds I bought were VERY reasonably priced, so it's just an fyi for anyone who actually needs 100 seeds.

7 days after planting, 8 Stapelia variegata and 4 Fenestraria rhopalophylla have germinated! Stapelia seedlings look impressively sized albeit a bit pale. So excited!!
Positive sherizona
Peoria, AZ (Zone 9b)
October 26, 2011
I've purchased seeds online with great success. A few months later I made the trip to their Phoenix location and purchased several varieties of cactus. They were very helpful with planting information and someone was always nearby in case we had additional questions. The plants took off and many of them are already twice the size, even after just a few months.
Positive BigDave49
Creve Coeur, IL
September 25, 2011
I have ordered cacti seed from them on several occasions. Prompt, friendly service.
Positive REXTHELAB
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
November 17, 2007
Great cacti here!..Very Very Nice!

Good Company!

Thank You!!

Positive ecarso
Santa Barbara, CA
July 10, 2007
These guys are really awesome. They provide very nice plants and exceptional customer service.

Thanks so much Richard for all the great plants.
Positive TheNJBen
Old Bridge, NJ
January 12, 2007
Great experience. My first batch of seeds got lost in the mail for a while (they did end up showing up the day that the replacement package was sent! - Isn't that always how it happens). That said, a free replacement package was sent to me to replace the ones that were lost (no fault to the company, just me being the rare victim of a USPS error). Not only were free replacements sent, but one of the seeds I ordered was low in stock so he even sent a partial refund with the order because one of the seed packets were a litte light. Oh and the seeds are great quality and have a very good germination rate. If only every seed company did business like this one!
Neutral Chitown033
Chicago, IL
May 29, 2005
I ordered a Yucca Rostrata from them, and wasn't 100% happy with my order.
This is the description on the website:
15 gal. size 6 to 8" truck overall height 3 feet+..........................$85

I did however get charged $75, with a total of $93 in shipping, but the yucca was shipped in a 2' box. The yucca itself was under 2' including the roots, and had maybe 5" of trunk.
I talked to the owner and he was a very nice man, and I am satisfied with the service, and how quickly the Yucca arrived. It was also in perfect condition. I just wish it was as large as the description, but It will grow.
Overall they are a decent business.
Positive madelene
Lebanon, VA
September 3, 2004
I am so pleased with my purchases from your company. Up to date i have purchased 8 plants from you. All were opuntia cuttings. I was So pleased with the size and quality of these. I have only purchased from one other cacti and succulent mail order website before and there plant size and quality pale in comparison to yours. You gave me an in depth list of what to do when i got my plants and how to care for them. Also what kind of light source i could use in the winter which i really needed. Thank you for such a wonderful experiance and for "opening my eyes" so to speak to what i should have been expecting from the other nursery. I will be purchasing from you from now on!

-Madelene Dotson