Albion, California 95410 (United States)
(707) 937-1130
(707) 937-2480

Reviews:

Displaying the 50 most recent reviews

On Jun 23, 2021, Rise22 (13 reviews) from Roseburg, OR

I've ordered various plants from Digging Dog over the past several years. Always came well-packed and healthy. I just wish they didn't have a minimum...

On May 28, 2021, wwhilty (3 reviews) from Okatie, SC

The customer service is outstanding. We had a recent heat wave where I live and customer service contacted me to say that they were waiting to ship plants until the following week when there will be a cool down. They respond immediately to any questions and I feel like I know the people there. Plant stock is excellent and arrives in top notch condition. Even though I am on the East Coast, I still order my plants from all the way across the country from Digging Dog.

On May 4, 2021, raydonsgarden (1 reviews) from Canyon Lake, TX

First off, the catalogue of plants is remarkable, with many classics not often seen elsewhere in this country. And they are grown and shipped very well. But the jewel in the crown is 'beyond the call of duty' customer service. I consider myself lucky to have run into their site by accident.

On Apr 25, 2021, shari123 (2 reviews) from Wellington, OH

Love the selection, but the customer service is even better! When a certain plant i ordered was deemed not to have sufficient root mass to survive, owner contacted me as to whether i wanted to chance it, cancel it or substitute it. I told her to surprise me with a substitute! She did with a plant more expensive than the one she replaced! Plants arrived beautifully packaged with care and very healthy. Nicely identified with weatherproof tags! Super pleased with this place!!! Thank you again for your amazing selection and phenomenal service !

On Mar 26, 2021, lucyhallen (1 reviews)

The plants I ordered arrived in great condition, with nice healthy root systems, and packaged well but without too much plastic.

On Nov 16, 2020, tomspeak (12 reviews) from Vashon, WA

Digging Dog Nursery was awesome on all levels. I love their inventory of unusual plants and even more so that mine arrived healthy and in a timely manner. Great company to buy from, and packaging was stellar.

On Aug 27, 2020, crankyanna (1 reviews) from Marinette, WI (Zone 4b)

I’ve placed two separate (very pricey) orders for heathers, eryngium, and echinops. Every single plant was stunted, straggly, and despite my ministrations, dead within one month. Very, very disappointed in the poor quality vis a vis the high cost.

Company representative comment on August 28, 2020:
On Aug 28, 2020 10:28 AM, Digging Dog Nursery responded with:

Dear crankyanna. Thank you for the feedback on the order you received in June. We are very sorry to hear that our plants did not survive in your garden. Our mission is to ship plants that successfully dig their roots into their new homes. We wish you would have gotten in touch with us as soon as they began to decline, as we do offer extensive phone support to our customers that may be experiencing difficulties with their plants. Digging Dog greatly values you as a customer, and your satisfaction is important to us. Please call us and we’ll gladly resolve this situation. (707)937-1235. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Saturday.

On Aug 25, 2020, Mountainair (1 reviews) from Banner Elk, NC

I wanted a local (Beech Mountain, NC) wildflower for my garden, but could not find it in local nurseries. I was not willing to dig up a plant growing in the wild. I finally found a plant at Digging Dog Nursery. I planted it in a container and it grew and blossomed the first season, last year. This year it has multiplied and grown even taller and more beautiful. I credit this success to the robust plant I received from Digging Dog, the meticulous packing that kept it safe on its coast to coast journey, and the good planting instructions. The plant is Joe Pye weed. Beautiful! Digging Dog is a favorite source for plants. Personnel super helpful.

On Jul 24, 2020, JSeattle (1 reviews) from Seattle, WA

Early this year we found Digging Dog Nursery as a source of Springwood Pink heather when we had not found it locally. They said it would depend on the weather, since it was cool, for the plants to be ready to ship. We received them today and all 55 are in great shape. The planting tips in the box are very helpful. Their email updates helped us have the area ready before the plants arrived.

On Jul 22, 2020, Mepet (1 reviews) from Friday Harbor, WA

WOW!! They were behind due to Covid19 lock down but OK with me. Once they got my order ready they let me know and it shipped as scheduled. Communication about this was EXCELLENT via email. The 5 Clematis Alba Luxurians I ordered arrived quickly and in PERFECT condition - absolutely no broken stems from the crown, not even a bent one!! This was due to their excellent potting and staking of the plants. The plant were carefully surrounded by shredded paper "fluff" and very carefully nestled together in the shipping box. Their small root containers and soil were very moist and wrapped in plastic to keep the water in. All this took a lot of effort and time- way more effort than I have EVER seen done from any other plant nurseries from which I have received things in the past on-line. I am impressed. Not only that, the clematis plant are much larger than ever I expected!! They are at least a foot tall from the crown to the top. Very healthy looking. I would definitely try Digging Dog again for another purchase of plants this Fall and next Spring. Worth the wait- very pleased. Happy gardening!

On Jun 30, 2020, honeybells (2 reviews) from Portland, OR

I am a repeat customer of Digging Dog, and their plants always arrive healthy and well packed (not always the case when mail ordering plants). I particularly appreciate the bits of droll humor in the plant descriptions in their catalog! I also appreciate how accommodating and helpful the staff is. My garden is the definition of a shade garden, and they offer lots of plant choices for my "little sun" situation. I was so happy to find them, and hope others will buy from them with confidence. I always support small family growers. Karen H.

On Jun 29, 2020, jacquieosborn (1 reviews) from Otisville, MI

I am very pleased with the service from Digging Dog. I placed an order before the Covid crisis. Naturally it was held up due to shipping difficulties and workers being off. During that time Digging Dog kept me informed of my order status. My plants finally arrived last week. They are in great condition and I'm very pleased with how healthy they look. Can't wait for next year to see the blooms.

On Jun 13, 2020, mandlin (2 reviews) from Pittsburgh, PA

I've been looking for a new primary source of perennials and think I have found them. They have a great selection, varied and deep, with very reasonable pricing. After placing my order, I received a detailed email regarding expected shipping time and anything else I needed to know. Prior to shipping, I got an email letting me know the date the plants would ship and arrive, as well as informing me of an item out of stock and asking if I wanted a substitution, which I did, and communicated with a simple email back to them. Great communication through the whole process. The plants arrived healthy and well packed, with the soil still moist. They use deeper pots than most places, which means the plants have been able to develop deeper roots. This is a really nice touch. Very happy with them and expect to use them often.

On May 15, 2020, plant_collector (31 reviews) from Oak Ridge, TN

Posted on May 7, 2020, updated May 15, 2020 On 4/22, I placed my first order with these folks and received an auto-reply email confirmation that indicated "IT COULD TAKE 7 TO 10 DAYS TO ASSIGN A SHIP DATE TO YOUR ORDER." The next day, I emailed them and asked about when my order might ship as I had a problem and needed to know. I received no reply. It has now been 15 days since I placed my order and I have still received nothing more from anyone at Digging Dog. My credit card has not been charged so maybe I will never hear from them. I realize it is peak shipping season and the pandemic has probably increased their orders even more. However, lots of people out of work now and it seems to me they could hire a few extra temporary workers to provide basic, nominal level of customer service.

On May 15th, 2020, plant_collector changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following: I received a shipping confirmation email after posting my original content above. Order was sent on date promised and arrived in good shape. Plants were of decent size and looked healthy. I suspect I would have good service on future orders (post-pandemic) as the problems with this one were probably caused by just too many orders for them to process them all very quickly.

On Apr 28, 2020, POR8138 (1 reviews) from Richmond, VA

This was my first order for 10 perennials, 7 in-stock shipped on 7th business day; 3 are on BO about 40 days. After shipping across country to VA they arrived 2 days later in excellent condition. Great packing in carton. I heeled in that same day and planted the next. Seem to grow a bit each day; had strong root system in dirt. Nursery had a question about my BackOrders; emailed & called me. Exceptionally good customer service. The distance made me hesitant but they were best supplier of 'Persicaria' I wanted. Will definitely use them again!

On Mar 31, 2020, CountryBoy50 (2 reviews) from Millington, TN

I ordered five oakleaf hydrangeas and called first to make sure they had enough on hand - I did not want any substitution. The lady called me back the next morning to confirm they did have enough. My order arrived as expected, the five plants were all carefully packed and very healthy. The emerging leaves looked as fresh as if the plants had been packed moments earlier. I planted them a couple of days later, and they all look healthy.

On Nov 15, 2019, ramonarafa (1 reviews) from Saint Helena, CA

Digging Dog carries an exceptional selection of perennials and natives for my Northern California garden. In addition, their professional approach to meeting their clients' shipping requests is greatly appreciated.

On Oct 22, 2019, radovangardener (1 reviews) from Eminence, IN,
United States (Zone 6a)

I ordered some plants year ago, everything grows well. Plants were in good size containers (not tiny plugs), strong healthy roots (that's more important than green stems) and with very good soil mixture (heavier, with small rocks and lava). So i didn't have to remove the soil from the bale, like I have to do with pure bark soil mixtures or pure peat soils. I can recommend DDN and I will order again. Rad, Bloomington, IN

On Oct 8, 2019, fern4 (9 reviews) from Portland, OR

I have ordered many plants (mostly asters) over the last few years from Digging Dog Nursery and all of them have come well packaged and have grown well once planted. They have an excellent selection of plants that cannot be found readily elsewhere. I recommend them highly just so long as you don't order the plants that I want! (joke) I have found the postage to be reasonable.

On Aug 29, 2019, sudhira (8 reviews) from Aptos, CA

Beautiful healthy plants, Begonia Sutherlandii. Also excellent customer service, when I called to inquire about the plants. Thank you.

On Aug 2, 2019, dlprost (2 reviews) from Williamsburg, PA

First time customer. Delighted to find my hard to find plants. Plants arrived quickly, packed with care, not even a leaf broken after crossing entire US. They were well rooted in very deep pots. I will not hesitate to recommend this company and to buy from them again! Thanks guys!

On Jul 25, 2019, Orchiddoctor52 (3 reviews) from Dahlonega, GA

First: shipping is high because they use huge boxes and ship second day. But as to the plants. A mixed bag. Out of 9 plants, 5 were okay for the price. The other then 4 were suceedingly small. The final plant, a geranium phaeum album was a bad joke. Imagine placing two seeds on a wet towel. When the sprouts are 1” tall and the first fat leaves start to open—well that’s what they sent! 2 little sprouts! And one was broken. Oh, they seem like nice people and would probably take care of things. But this plant was an insult. And the other 3 were not worth it. I was in the nursery biz for 24 years, and I would be mortified. Whatever their reply is, I am writing this as a neutral- to share the plant experience.

On Jun 10, 2019, Dotindyea13 (3 reviews) from Skagway, AK

Digging dog plants came in great shape-well wrapped &still moist. Very happy to find some unique & hard to find plants. Always a hit and miss coming through the mail,but I will order from this company again!

On Jun 9, 2019, bselarse (7 reviews) from South Wayne, WI

I have a couple companies I use on a regular basis, but this year I was looking for something they didn't have. This company did, so this is the 1st year I used this company and I loved them. Most of my communication was during their busiest time so answers weren't immediate but they were addressed. That's important to me.. The plants were beautiful, and the prices were good. The shipping was a little high but the length of time (2 days from CA to WI) was worth it. I highly recommend them.

On Oct 27, 2018, LCC0256 (1 reviews) from Augusta, GA

I ordered 10 plants from Digging Dog Nursery. I have been gardening for over 50 years. The plants I received from Digging Dog Nursery were healthy robust and perfectly packaged. I have purchased approximately 100 plants on line in the past year. These are certainly the most beautiful and hardiest of the lot. Their customer SERVICE is just that - SERVICE. The crew at Digging Dog has earned another customer. Larry Croft Martinez, Georgia

On Jul 21, 2018, YB12NVU (1 reviews) from Buffalo, NY

I live in Buffalo, NY. I am always on the lookout for rare perennials, or perennials that are zone 6 that aren't available in Western New York. I came across this nursery online in search of a Trachystemon orientalis that I read about in a gardening article. I was amazed by the variety of plants in the catalog. I placed an order of 16 plants. One of the plants, based on its natural growing season, was not going to be available for about one month. I received a personal phone call and email with options on how to process my order. Also, because my order was so large, the nursery worked with me to arrange more cost efficient shipping, which only added one day to the trip! Also, I had a concern, after I had placed my order, that one of the plants may not be hardy enough for my zone based on many diverse internet articles, some saying it was, some saying it wasn't. The nursery thoroughly researched the plant and the climate where I lived, including talking to customers who own the plant, to give me a recommendation on the findings. I have NEVER had a nursery go so far and beyond to help me. The communication was fast, very clear, by phone and email. The staff at this nursery are awesome. Prices and shipping are very fair. Next year, I will be placing my order early to get some of the species that are sold out. Looking forward to more repeat business.

On Jun 2, 2018, dull2shinetoo (1 reviews) from Verona, VA

I received my order today via UPS and am delighted! The plants survived the journey across the country and are nestled in their warm, moist garden beds here in Virginia. The timing of their arrival couldn't be better as we are enjoying a wet tropical rain, the remnants of Alberto. I appreciate the variety of plants that Digging Dog has to offer, as well as the health of the merchandise. Thank you, Digging Dog Nursery, for good service and the careful packaging of my plants.

On Apr 22, 2018, Mid12nt (16 reviews) from Stone Mountain, GA

Although I was at first worried that the catmints I ordered might not make it and would rot (they were soaked) they did make it and are doing well, so I am as usual a happy customer of Digging Dog. I have purchased on and off from them for years and I've always been happy with my orders.

On Apr 19, 2018, DonnaMack (66 reviews) from Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)

Posted on April 29, 2016, updated April 19, 2018 This was my first order with Digging Dog Nursery, and I have to sing their praises. I ordered from them because they had a particular plant that I wanted: Thalictrum Splendide. When I realized there was a minimum order I looked around their site and found a second plant I had decided to order some time before: Cotinus 'Grace'. I had owned two at my previous home but ordering it again from the same company was extremely expensive. Since it was $14 I expected a quite small plant, but did not mind since the other source would have knocked a good hole in $100 with the shipping. The third item that got me to the minimum was campanula 'Bernice' of which I had two, so I didn't mind adding another. That is when the pleasant surprises began. They were out of Bernice, and suggested two substitutes, neither one of which I really wanted. When I declined, they VOLUNTARILY reduced the mandatory order amount to the amount of the remaining order. I thought that very professional. But the knockout punch was the perfect 40 inch Grace I just unwrapped. This gorgeous thing is 90% of the size of the $49 I purchased years ago - and the shipping was almost the cost of the plant. The thalictrum is a perfect little gem. Great communication, great cooperation, beautiful plants. This is like the best first date I can possibly image. I am beyond impressed, and I will be back.

On April 19th, 2018, DonnaMack added the following: Digging Dog was very good to me. I made several mistakes that boiled down to being in a hurry and not reading carefully enough. I was rewarded with kindness and understanding, particularly by Deborah, who gets the gold star for patience. Marie was wonderful, too. I really enjoy this company, because I can get first rate planting that are hard to find at a reasonable price: campanula Bernice, Cotinus Grace (got a whopping one for $14 a couple of seasons ago), nepeta Dawn to Dusk, which is my favorite but had apparently disappeared from commerce. I tried a new campanula I had not seen in years. My plants came today. Just beautiful little gems. I go through their catalog and find things that are really wonderful, without the pricing that makes you flinch. I am so happy that I have found them.

On Jan 30, 2018, dduff (4 reviews) from Fort Collins, CO (Zone 5b)

I find their website a bit difficult to use, but have generally been happy with the plants I've received from them, which seem quite healthy and ready for growth. Their prices on ornamental grasses are great, and they've done quite well for me, putting on growth quickly.

On Jan 16, 2018, katanknits (4 reviews) from Santa Monica, CA

Thus far, extremely pleased with the plants ordered from Digging Dog. All arrived extremely healthy, with perfect root balls (I winter order, so not everything has top growth). Root systems are beautifully developed, filling out the pot but not pot bound. Already, the epimediums are going gangbusters in the garden--yes, it is January but one is already blooming! Everything else is either growing or starting to bud. Everything was perfectly and expertly packed, so fingers crossed for a glorious spring (although I will have to see whether I put everything in the right place for my climate!

On Oct 8, 2017, CherylinOregon (1 reviews) from Hillsboro, OR

I changed my mind numerous times and Marie and Deborah were very patient, even suggesting other blue geraniums that I might want. The shipping date was Tuesday and I received four geraniums on Thursday. Two days! They were very well packaged, with instructions (3 options as to how to care for the plants immediately and how to hold them temporarily, if necessary). They have all of their leaves and! they look great!

On Sep 20, 2017, Sheila2 (1 reviews) from Central Point, OR

I have ordered from Digging Dog over the last 3 years. They have such interesting plants. I love their discriminating efforts sorting through the plant kingdom that result in such gems that they offer. Their plants arrive well packed and ready to go. They make an effort to work around bad weather to ship in safe conditions for their baby plants to arrive safely. I love this company.

On Sep 18, 2017, Conagher (1 reviews) from Mount Airy, NC

I have placed two orders with this company this year and have been extremely satisfied with the plants, the shipping, and the customer care they exhibited through the ordering process. The prices on their plants are very reasonable, but some may think that the shipping is a bit on the high side. I was a little hesitant at first because of the high shipping cost; but because they had a plant that I could not find anywhere else, I went ahead and took the plunge - getting as many plants as I could for the minimum flat shipping cost. The packaging is absolutely top notch! Very carefully packaged and when the weather looked to be too hot to ensure safe arrival of the plants, they contacted me with their concern and we worked out a plan to get the plants shipped safely. This family owned business did everything they could to make certain that my ordering experience was as pleasant as possible.

On Sep 5, 2017, kcleslieb (1 reviews) from Kansas City, KS

I was. completely satisfied with the quality of the plants I received from Digging Dog, as well as the packaging which was protective but not overpackaging. I love their selection and was very appreciative of their help with a backordered item. I look forward to ordering from them again!

On Jun 21, 2017, bonscotty (1 reviews) from Estell Manor, NJ

An excellent service from an excellent family owned company. The plants were shipped quickly in secure packaging and were just as advertised (all those who complained about the size of the plants should take the time to read the description - it's very clear). All the plants are doing great. Digging Dog is such a good service that they contacted me personally to inform that some of my order are not hardy for my area (I'm greedy & went ahead with them anyway - I'll take my chances). I would recommend Digging Dog to anyone & will be ordering again from them. Cannot thank Digging Dog enough.

On Jun 10, 2017, swansdown (1 reviews) from Portland, OR

I've ordered perennials & shrubs from Digging Dog Nursery. Have been well satisfied with their offerings. I order by phone and the process is always a delight, with either Debbie Kruse, horticulturist and nursery co-owner, or Marie Keller, social media person,ready to answer my questions or make suggestions regarding their plant stock. The plants arrive on time and in excellent condition in their efficiently-sized pots. The little guys happily thrive in their confinement until I, the sometimes faithless gardener, finally plant them in the ground where they continue to grow and prosper. In early spring of 2016, I ordered many plants but hadn't got all of them planted before summer's end. Two Persicarias Amplexicaulis 'Taurus,' one Veronicastrum Virginicum 'Lavendelturm,' and one Buddleja x Weyeriana 'Honeycomb' got left to their own devices, in their pots, as autumn rains began and then winter bore down on us in Portland, Oregon. Winter was a nasty piece of work; cold temps, early snowfall, ice storms, more snow, and then rain everlasting all through spring 2017. Dead and deader, I thought, when I checked on the forlorn plants in their little pots during the depths of winter. Immediately, I succumbed to a bad case of gardener's guilt for murder by neglect. I furtively put them out of sight and forgot about them, mostly, until spring. Thrilled and delighted, I discovered all the plants not only survived, but were growing healthily and hardily, multiple roots poking out of the various pot bottoms. It was like getting brand new plants! The Veronicastrum is branched, tall, and tightly budded. 'Honeycomb' is showing off its handsome foliage and those Persicarias look grandly healthy. These plants are bred to survive! I'm looking forward to the arrival, next week, of my 2017 order.

On Jun 4, 2017, Sarahh12345 (1 reviews) from Lea Hill, WA

I ordered a large number of perennials from Digging Dog Nursery this spring, and I am very pleased with the experience. I chose Digging Dog because (1) they had cultivars I couldn't find anywhere else, and (2) they could verify that the plants I ordered were grown neonic-free. They called me before they sent out the order and informed me that a couple of the perennials I had ordered, weren't well rooted yet so rather than send any poorly rooted plants, they worked with me to find substitutes (I could have waited for those ones to grow on also). The plants I received were all strong, well-rooted little plants, and I am very satisfied. I will happily order from Digging Dog again.

On Jun 3, 2017, dfchud (1 reviews) from Chestnut Hill, MA

I'm happy to report that the 16 plants I ordered from you this spring are all thriving and I'm thrilled with my purchases. The plants were packed with great thought and care, and they arrived in excellent condition. I turned to you because I was unable to find a number of plants at my local nurseries in MA. Thanks to your exceptional selection and conscientious attention, my garden will be even more special this year!

On May 31, 2017, Paverpicker (1 reviews) from Hamilton, OH

After over 40 years of catalog and online plant ordering, I can easily say that Digging Dog ranks near the top in my experience. I have ordered difficult-to-find plants from them twice. I knew up front that I would be receiving newer starts/rooted cuttings, and was quite surprised at the instant growth I noticed shortly after repotting the plants from them into my larger containers. After one month in my own containers, Additional root growth was so rapid that I was able to replant them in the ground. I like to repot and babysit plants for a short time to insure success, but also have no doubt that the plants I received from DD could have been directly planted into the ground with good results. THANK YOU DD for the insanely cool plants you sold to me!

On May 30, 2017, cdbotts (1 reviews) from Sacramento, CA

I visited this nursery in person for the first time this year when I was in Mendocino. They had a great selection of plants and a few that were unusual. I had the chance to speak with the owners and they were very informative even about the rare plants. They have beautiful gardens as well. I was thoroughly impressed and would recommend this nursery to anyone whether you can visit the nursery itself or order through mail order!

On May 21, 2017, knoxgal (5 reviews) from Knoxville, TN

I really like the selection of plants they have and was pleased with the quality of plants I received. I will say that I wish they kept their online inventory updated. I ordered a plant and was contacted that it was out of stock. I made another selection (I spent an additional hour deciding which plant I should order) and was then told that it wasn't available until Fall so I couldn't have it either. Rather than waste more time I asked them to send my order without a replacement for the OOS. Their shipping costs are high but the plants arrived in good condition and had suffered minimal stress which I really appreciated.

On May 17, 2017, Suzkling (7 reviews) from Bandon, OR

last year I ordered several plants and they arrived poorly packaged and tiny.......I wrote to them re my dismay as they were to be gifts and I was disappointed; their response was defensive.....as in others love us why don't you...whatever...I let it go....I order a great deal from online nurseries as I live uber rural where there are few resources......I am very happy with my favorites: Annie's Annuals/Perennials and Far Reaches Farm are the best online .....they are top of the line A+........ this year I couldn't find the hardy geraniums I wanted anywhere else and thought the small sizes from Digging Dog would do fine for sturdy plants such as these.....imagine my surprise when they cancelled my order after several weeks.... telling me they had done so because I complained a year ago.........wow.........what a business model.....alienate/blame the customer and make no efforts at genuine communication..............odd and annoying.........I cannot imagine how they keep a business going with such an attitude.................

On Apr 21, 2017, Ves (13 reviews) from Buffalo, NY (Zone 5b)

A great source of heirloom perennials that are difficult to find elsewhere. The plants are meticulously packaged and all arrived healthy. Some are smaller than others but that's OK because they are late-season bloomers and it's their normal growth at this time of the year. Others like primulas, two of which are hard-to-find heirlooms, are in full growth, healthy, and I expect their bloom soon. All in all, a wonderful nursery to which I will be returning with more orders in the future.

On Jul 20, 2016, fraleyk (1 reviews) from Willoughby, OH

Digging Dog had a vine I was unable to find elsewhere (Vitis cognitae), so I decided to pay the high shipping cost and order two. When they arrived, one looked healthy (but small) and the other was broken and I was not sure it would live. I followed instructions by taking a picture of the plant, sending it to Digging Dog, and waiting the 2 week period they suggested. When it did not thrive, I requested a replacement. It arrive 2 weeks later (with apologies), much larger than my original plant and is thriving still. I applaud the customer service on this one.

On Jul 19, 2016, LarryTaylor (1 reviews) from Prospect, KY

On several occasions I have ordered relatively uncommon or hard to find plants from Digging Dog. In every instance I was satisfied with the plants. On at least two items (Kirengeshoma Palmata and Impatiens Omeiana), I was excited and surprised by the large size of the plants that I received. Among my various orders, only one plant ever arrived smaller than I expected. The cost of shipping and handling is high, but the base price of the plants is very reasonable. The combined final cost of receiving an order represents fair value for unusual plants. The plants that I have received were invariably well packed and arrived in good order. At times there may be a delay in getting an order fulfilled, but the staff has always been upfront and communicative in that event. This is not a big box store. You can not always get immediate delivery, and shipping is expensive. That does not bother me as I am grateful to have a source for relatively rare plants which give me great pleasure in the garden. You may get an answering machine if you telephone. I suggest that you communicate by e mail, understand in advance that shipping is costly, and be patient. I think that serious gardeners will be pleased with a purchase.

On Jun 29, 2016, davidrt28 (10 reviews) from Columbia, MD (Zone 7a)

Ok, I'm posting a positive review but I'm also going to address the concerns people raised in their recent negative reviews. Have ordered from them on and off for 15 years and almost always been satisfied. For one thing, they fill an important niche: there just aren't many mail order nurseries, anymore, where Joe Schmoes in the rest of the country can get access to things that are standard nursery items in California, like Correas. They make nice pot plants. However I visited there in the spring and happened to arrive at the same time as a UPS truck. I assumed he was picking up outgoing orders. He did; but he also dropped off several HUGE boxes from a well known PNW wholesaler. I think in cases where people give them a negative for various availability issues, they aren't trying to deceive you deliberately, but what is happening is that they think they can offer a plant at a certain time of the year but perhaps when the wholesale order comes in either that part of the order wasn't fulfilled or the plants were not the right size for supplying in the way they described in their catalog. I'm pointing this out to say: don't expect every nursery to be able to supply exactly what their catalog is listing, but especially ones that might not be producing the majority of their plants on-site. (which is definitely true of the majority of mail order nurseries these days) BTW I wish their shipping was cheaper but they are in a really remote part of Northern California and I can imagine UPS is less willing to give them a discount than companies that are closer to shipping hubs.

On May 17, 2016, sweetstripes (3 reviews) from Portland, OR

I live in a mild climate (Willamette Valley) and in the fall of 2015 I ordered some ornamental grass plants from this company. I have planted ornamental grasses in the fall with previous success so I figured this would be a chance to get some interesting kinds instead of the usual fare. I checked to make sure that these plants were suited to my area and they were. I planted them carefully and come spring nothing happened. My other ornamental grasses were just beginning to grow. It became clear that the plants from Digging Dog were dead and I really do believe they were pretty much dead when I got them. The upshot is that I contacted the company and got an email saying that "there are so many environmental factors coming into play when a plant is planted in the fall." Really, why did you sell them? Many things are planted in the fall in my area with great success. Also, I was told that I had waited too long to register my complaint and that they would only offer me the "shared customer responsibility credit" which is 50%. Now how would I have known the plants were not viable until the growing season for them arrived? I have placed many mail orders with other companies with successful results. This company is unreliable. None of the plants grew and the excuses were specious.

On Jul 9, 2015, brianaucuba (21 reviews) from PEQUEA, PA (Zone 6b)

It has been a while since I ordered from Digging Dog due to my personal budget. My experience was very positive. They had some hard-to-find plants that I really wanted. Their shipping and handling pricing is in line with everyone else, especially since I am on the opposite side of the country. My plants arrived promptly, were packaged well, and were in great shape. I consider Digging Dog a good source for unusual plants. My order was relatively small but I was treated very professionally.

On Jul 8, 2015, randibear (3 reviews) from Deerfield, MA

I ordered 18 perennial geraniums including 8 Rozanne on 6/4/15 asking them to be sent the end of June. On 6/9/15 I was notified they had no Rozanne left and asked me if I could substitute Havanna Blue or Buxtons. I agreed to substitutes for these 2 varieties.I later emailed to send the order sooner as my garden designer was getting back early which they emailed and said they would ship them out the week of 23rd of June. I received these plants on June 25th. I was happy with all of the plants except for what was supposed to be 4 quart sized lancastriense at $7.25 each as I received 4 approx 1 inch by 2 inch small plants for which I was charged $5.75 each. Based on what I ordered and what I received I felt ripped off. I immediately emailed the company on 6/25/15 asking that they combine these 2 mini plants into one quart size and charge me $7.25 for each 2 mini pots or $14.50 and not $23.00 as charged and I thought an $8.50 refund was in order. On 7/3/15 I received a somewhat standardized form letter back giving me the small business issue, cost to grow plants, etc.. and that at the very least their plants were worth $4.75 each or at least $19.00 and was willing to refund me $4.00. I replied on 7/3/15 "Please refund me the $4.00." Today 7/8/15 the $4.00 credit showed up on my bank account. For refusing to refund the $4.50 additional amount on this order she has lost a future customer. In all fairness they did have an extensive list of perennial geraniums and I certainly would have bought many more down the line. While their shipping fees were extremely high I was willing to pay that for the varieties I wanted. In the end I did not get what I ordered. Their loss is my gain as I have found more plants elsewhere and the shipping was way better..

Company representative comment on July 13, 2015:
On Jul 13, 2015 3:09 PM, Digging Dog Nursery responded with:

We value and appreciate all of our customers, and are truly saddened to have disappointed you. Perhaps some of your expectation about our plant container sizes could have been clarified by referring to any of the following pages on our website: "Catalog", "Order Info", or "Planting Info", under the heading "Digging Dog Plants", which states the following container sizes:
Small band: 2-½" square x 5" deep
Medium Band: 3" square x 5-½" deep - (The majority of our perennials & grasses)
Squat Band: 3-¾" square x 4-½" deep
Large Band: 4 square x 6 deep - (Most of our trees & many of our shrubs)
Occasionally, plants will be available in liners (2-¼ square x 3-¼ deep) or landscape plugs and will be discounted $1.00-$1.50 off the regular price.

» Read the rest of the reviews