Announcements
Journal download links are now available for users who requested their journal data. To find the link, click on "My Info" at the top.

This data will be removed from our database March, 1 2021. Please download your data immediately.

The scoop on 'Digging Dog Nursery'

Digging Dog Nursery

Green Star: Good Digging Dog Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

Albion, California 95410 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive tomspeak
Vashon, WA
November 16, 2020
Digging Dog Nursery was awesome on all levels. I love their inventory of unusual plants and even more so that mine arrived healthy and in a timely manner. Great company to buy from, and packaging was stellar.
Negative crankyanna
Marinette, WI (Zone 4b)
August 27, 2020
I’ve placed two separate (very pricey) orders for heathers, eryngium, and echinops. Every single plant was stunted, straggly, and despite my ministrations, dead within one month. Very, very disappointed in the poor quality vis a vis the high cost.
Company representative comment on August 28, 2020:
On Aug 28, 2020 10:28 AM, Digging Dog Nursery responded with:

Dear crankyanna. Thank you for the feedback on the order you received in June. We are very sorry to hear that our plants did not survive in your garden. Our mission is to ship plants that successfully dig their roots into their new homes. We wish you would have gotten in touch with us as soon as they began to decline, as we do offer extensive phone support to our customers that may be experiencing difficulties with their plants. Digging Dog greatly values you as a customer, and your satisfaction is important to us. Please call us and we’ll gladly resolve this situation. (707)937-1235. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Saturday.

Positive Mountainair
Banner Elk, NC
August 25, 2020
I wanted a local (Beech Mountain, NC) wildflower for my garden, but could not find it in local nurseries. I was not willing to dig up a plant growing in the wild. I finally found a plant at Digging Dog Nursery. I planted it in a container and it grew and blossomed the first season, last year. This year it has multiplied and grown even taller and more beautiful. I credit this success to the robust plant I received from Digging Dog, the meticulous packing that kept it safe on its coast to coast journey, and the good planting instructions. The plant is Joe Pye weed. Beautiful! Digging Dog is a favorite source for plants. Personnel super helpful.
Positive JSeattle
Seattle, WA
July 24, 2020
Early this year we found Digging Dog Nursery as a source of Springwood Pink heather when we had not found it locally. They said it would depend on the weather, since it was cool, for the plants to be ready to ship. We received them today and all 55 are in great shape. The planting tips in the box are very helpful. Their email updates helped us have the area ready before the plants arrived.
Positive Mepet
Friday Harbor, WA
July 22, 2020
WOW!! They were behind due to Covid19 lock down but OK with me. Once they got my order ready they let me know and it shipped as scheduled. Communication about this was EXCELLENT via email.
The 5 Clematis Alba Luxurians I ordered arrived quickly and in PERFECT condition - absolutely no broken stems from the crown, not even a bent one!! This was due to their excellent potting and staking of the plants. The plant were carefully surrounded by shredded paper "fluff" and very carefully nestled together in the shipping box. Their small root containers and soil were very moist and wrapped in plastic to keep the water in.
All this took a lot of effort and time- way more effort than I have EVER seen done from any other plant nurseries from which I have received things in the past on-line. I am impressed.

Not only that, the clematis plant are much larger than ever I expected!! They are at least a foot tall from the crown to the top. Very healthy looking.

I would definitely try Digging Dog again for another purchase of plants this Fall and next Spring.

Worth the wait- very pleased.
Happy gardening!
Positive honeybells
June 30, 2020
I am a repeat customer of Digging Dog, and their plants always arrive healthy and well packed (not always the case when mail ordering plants). I particularly appreciate the bits of droll humor in the plant descriptions in their catalog! I also appreciate how accommodating and helpful the staff is. My garden is the definition of a shade garden, and they offer lots of plant choices for my "little sun" situation. I was so happy to find them, and hope others will buy from them with confidence. I always support small family growers.

Karen H.
Positive jacquieosborn
Otisville, MI
June 29, 2020
I am very pleased with the service from Digging Dog. I placed an order before the Covid crisis. Naturally it was held up due to shipping difficulties and workers being off. During that time Digging Dog kept me informed of my order status. My plants finally arrived last week. They are in great condition and I'm very pleased with how healthy they look. Can't wait for next year to see the blooms.
Positive mandlin
Pittsburgh, PA
June 13, 2020
I've been looking for a new primary source of perennials and think I have found them. They have a great selection, varied and deep, with very reasonable pricing.

After placing my order, I received a detailed email regarding expected shipping time and anything else I needed to know. Prior to shipping, I got an email letting me know the date the plants would ship and arrive, as well as informing me of an item out of stock and asking if I wanted a substitution, which I did, and communicated with a simple email back to them. Great communication through the whole process.

The plants arrived healthy and well packed, with the soil still moist. They use deeper pots than most places, which means the plants have been able to develop deeper roots. This is a really nice touch.

Very happy with them and expect to use them often.
Positive plant_collector
Oak Ridge, TN
May 15, 2020
Posted on May 7, 2020, updated May 15, 2020
On 4/22, I placed my first order with these folks and received an auto-reply email confirmation that indicated "IT COULD TAKE 7 TO 10 DAYS TO ASSIGN A SHIP DATE TO YOUR ORDER." The next day, I emailed them and asked about when my order might ship as I had a problem and needed to know. I received no reply. It has now been 15 days since I placed my order and I have still received nothing more from anyone at Digging Dog. My credit card has not been charged so maybe I will never hear from them.
I realize it is peak shipping season and the pandemic has probably increased their orders even more. However, lots of people out of work now and it seems to me they could hire a few extra temporary workers to provide basic, nominal level of customer service.

On May 15th, 2020, plant_collector changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I received a shipping confirmation email after posting my original content above. Order was sent on date promised and arrived in good shape. Plants were of decent size and looked healthy. I suspect I would have good service on future orders (post-pandemic) as the problems with this one were probably caused by just too many orders for them to process them all very quickly.
Positive POR8138
Richmond, VA
April 28, 2020
This was my first order for 10 perennials, 7 in-stock shipped on 7th business day; 3 are on BO about 40 days. After shipping across country to VA they arrived 2 days later in excellent condition. Great packing in carton. I heeled in that same day and planted the next. Seem to grow a bit each day; had strong root system in dirt. Nursery had a question about my BackOrders; emailed & called me. Exceptionally good customer service. The distance made me hesitant but they were best supplier of 'Persicaria' I wanted. Will definitely use them again!
Positive CountryBoy50
Millington, TN
March 31, 2020
I ordered five oakleaf hydrangeas and called first to make sure they had enough on hand - I did not want any substitution. The lady called me back the next morning to confirm they did have enough. My order arrived as expected, the five plants were all carefully packed and very healthy. The emerging leaves looked as fresh as if the plants had been packed moments earlier. I planted them a couple of days later, and they all look healthy.
Positive ramonarafa
Saint Helena, CA
November 15, 2019
Digging Dog carries an exceptional selection of perennials and natives for my Northern California garden. In addition, their professional approach to meeting their clients' shipping requests is greatly appreciated.
Positive radovangardener
Eminence, IN,
United States (Zone 6a)
October 22, 2019
I ordered some plants year ago, everything grows well. Plants were in good size containers (not tiny plugs), strong healthy roots (that's more important than green stems) and with very good soil mixture (heavier, with small rocks and lava). So i didn't have to remove the soil from the bale, like I have to do with pure bark soil mixtures or pure peat soils. I can recommend DDN and I will order again. Rad, Bloomington, IN
Positive fern4
October 8, 2019
I have ordered many plants (mostly asters) over the last few years from Digging Dog Nursery and all of them have come well packaged and have grown well once planted. They have an excellent selection of plants that cannot be found readily elsewhere. I recommend them highly just so long as you don't order the plants that I want! (joke) I have found the postage to be reasonable.
Positive sudhira
Aptos, CA
August 29, 2019
Beautiful healthy plants, Begonia Sutherlandii. Also excellent customer service, when I called to inquire about the plants. Thank you.
Positive dlprost
Williamsburg, PA
August 2, 2019
First time customer. Delighted to find my hard to find plants. Plants arrived quickly, packed with care, not even a leaf broken after crossing entire US. They were well rooted in very deep pots. I will not hesitate to recommend this company and to buy from them again! Thanks guys!
Neutral Orchiddoctor52
Dahlonega, GA
July 25, 2019
First: shipping is high because they use huge boxes and ship second day.
But as to the plants. A mixed bag. Out of 9 plants, 5 were okay for the price. The other then 4 were suceedingly small. The final plant, a geranium phaeum album was
a bad joke. Imagine placing two seeds on a wet towel. When the sprouts are 1” tall and the first fat leaves start to open—well that’s what they sent! 2 little sprouts! And one was broken. Oh, they seem like nice people and would probably take care of things. But this plant was an insult. And the other 3 were not worth it. I was in the nursery biz for 24 years, and I would be mortified. Whatever their reply is, I am writing this as a neutral- to share the plant experience.
Positive Dotindyea13
Skagway, AK
June 10, 2019
Digging dog plants came in great shape-well wrapped &still moist. Very happy to find some unique & hard to find plants. Always a hit and miss coming through the mail,but I will order from this company again!
Positive bselarse
South Wayne, WI
June 9, 2019
I have a couple companies I use on a regular basis, but this year I was looking for something they didn't have. This company did, so this is the 1st year I used this company and I loved them. Most of my communication was during their busiest time so answers weren't immediate but they were addressed. That's important to me..
The plants were beautiful, and the prices were good. The shipping was a little high but the length of time (2 days from CA to WI) was worth it.

I highly recommend them.
Positive LCC0256
Augusta, GA
October 27, 2018
I ordered 10 plants from Digging Dog Nursery. I have been gardening for over 50 years. The plants I received from Digging Dog Nursery were healthy robust and perfectly packaged. I have purchased approximately 100 plants on line in the past year. These are certainly the most beautiful and hardiest of the lot. Their customer SERVICE is just that - SERVICE. The crew at Digging Dog has earned another customer.

Larry Croft
Martinez, Georgia
Positive YB12NVU
Buffalo, NY
July 21, 2018
I live in Buffalo, NY. I am always on the lookout for rare perennials, or perennials that are zone 6 that aren't available in Western New York. I came across this nursery online in search of a Trachystemon orientalis that I read about in a gardening article. I was amazed by the variety of plants in the catalog. I placed an order of 16 plants. One of the plants, based on its natural growing season, was not going to be available for about one month. I received a personal phone call and email with options on how to process my order. Also, because my order was so large, the nursery worked with me to arrange more cost efficient shipping, which only added one day to the trip! Also, I had a concern, after I had placed my order, that one of the plants may not be hardy enough for my zone based on many diverse internet articles, some saying it was, some saying it wasn't. The nursery thoroughly researched the plant and the climate where I lived, including talking to customers who own the plant, to give me a recommendation on the findings. I have NEVER had a nursery go so far and beyond to help me. The communication was fast, very clear, by phone and email. The staff at this nursery are awesome. Prices and shipping are very fair. Next year, I will be placing my order early to get some of the species that are sold out. Looking forward to more repeat business.
Positive dull2shinetoo
Verona, VA
June 2, 2018
I received my order today via UPS and am delighted! The plants survived the journey across the country and are nestled in their warm, moist garden beds here in Virginia. The timing of their arrival couldn't be better as we are enjoying a wet tropical rain, the remnants of Alberto. I appreciate the variety of plants that Digging Dog has to offer, as well as the health of the merchandise. Thank you, Digging Dog Nursery, for good service and the careful packaging of my plants.
Positive Mid12nt
Stone Mountain, GA
April 22, 2018
Although I was at first worried that the catmints I ordered might not make it and would rot (they were soaked) they did make it and are doing well, so I am as usual a happy customer of Digging Dog. I have purchased on and off from them for years and I've always been happy with my orders.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
April 19, 2018
Posted on April 29, 2016, updated April 19, 2018
This was my first order with Digging Dog Nursery, and I have to sing their praises.

I ordered from them because they had a particular plant that I wanted: Thalictrum Splendide. When I realized there was a minimum order I looked around their site and found a second plant I had decided to order some time before: Cotinus 'Grace'. I had owned two at my previous home but ordering it again from the same company was extremely expensive. Since it was $14 I expected a quite small plant, but did not mind since the other source would have knocked a good hole in $100 with the shipping. The third item that got me to the minimum was campanula 'Bernice' of which I had two, so I didn't mind adding another.

That is when the pleasant surprises began. They were out of Bernice, and suggested two substitutes, neither one of which I really wanted. When I declined, they VOLUNTARILY reduced the mandatory order amount to the amount of the remaining order. I thought that very professional.

But the knockout punch was the perfect 40 inch Grace I just unwrapped. This gorgeous thing is 90% of the size of the $49 I purchased years ago - and the shipping was almost the cost of the plant. The thalictrum is a perfect little gem.

Great communication, great cooperation, beautiful plants. This is like the best first date I can possibly image. I am beyond impressed, and I will be back.
On April 19th, 2018, DonnaMack added the following:

Digging Dog was very good to me.

I made several mistakes that boiled down to being in a hurry and not reading carefully enough. I was rewarded with kindness and understanding, particularly by Deborah, who gets the gold star for patience. Marie was wonderful, too. I really enjoy this company, because I can get first rate planting that are hard to find at a reasonable price: campanula Bernice, Cotinus Grace (got a whopping one for $14 a couple of seasons ago), nepeta Dawn to Dusk, which is my favorite but had apparently disappeared from commerce. I tried a new campanula I had not seen in years.

My plants came today. Just beautiful little gems. I go through their catalog and find things that are really wonderful, without the pricing that makes you flinch. I am so happy that I have found them.
Positive dduff
Fort Collins, CO (Zone 5b)
January 30, 2018
I find their website a bit difficult to use, but have generally been happy with the plants I've received from them, which seem quite healthy and ready for growth. Their prices on ornamental grasses are great, and they've done quite well for me, putting on growth quickly.
Positive katanknits
Santa Monica, CA
January 16, 2018
Thus far, extremely pleased with the plants ordered from Digging Dog. All arrived extremely healthy, with perfect root balls (I winter order, so not everything has top growth). Root systems are beautifully developed, filling out the pot but not pot bound. Already, the epimediums are going gangbusters in the garden--yes, it is January but one is already blooming! Everything else is either growing or starting to bud. Everything was perfectly and expertly packed, so fingers crossed for a glorious spring (although I will have to see whether I put everything in the right place for my climate!
Positive CherylinOregon
Hillsboro, OR
October 8, 2017
I changed my mind numerous times and Marie and Deborah were very patient, even suggesting other blue geraniums that I might want. The shipping date was Tuesday and I received four geraniums on Thursday. Two days! They were very well packaged, with instructions (3 options as to how to care for the plants immediately and how to hold them temporarily, if necessary). They have all of their leaves and! they look great!
Positive Sheila2
Central Point, OR
September 20, 2017
I have ordered from Digging Dog over the last 3 years. They have such interesting plants. I love their discriminating efforts sorting through the plant kingdom that result in such gems that they offer. Their plants arrive well packed and ready to go. They make an effort to work around bad weather to ship in safe conditions for their baby plants to arrive safely. I love this company.
Positive Conagher
Mount Airy, NC
September 18, 2017
I have placed two orders with this company this year and have been extremely satisfied with the plants, the shipping, and the customer care they exhibited through the ordering process. The prices on their plants are very reasonable, but some may think that the shipping is a bit on the high side. I was a little hesitant at first because of the high shipping cost; but because they had a plant that I could not find anywhere else, I went ahead and took the plunge - getting as many plants as I could for the minimum flat shipping cost. The packaging is absolutely top notch! Very carefully packaged and when the weather looked to be too hot to ensure safe arrival of the plants, they contacted me with their concern and we worked out a plan to get the plants shipped safely.
This family owned business did everything they could to make certain that my ordering experience was as pleasant as possible.
Positive kcleslieb
Kansas City, KS
September 5, 2017
I was. completely satisfied with the quality of the plants I received from Digging Dog, as well as the packaging which was protective but not overpackaging. I love their selection and was very appreciative of their help with a backordered item. I look forward to ordering from them again!
Positive bonscotty
Estell Manor, NJ
June 21, 2017
An excellent service from an excellent family owned company. The plants were shipped quickly in secure packaging and were just as advertised (all those who complained about the size of the plants should take the time to read the description - it's very clear). All the plants are doing great. Digging Dog is such a good service that they contacted me personally to inform that some of my order are not hardy for my area (I'm greedy & went ahead with them anyway - I'll take my chances). I would recommend Digging Dog to anyone & will be ordering again from them. Cannot thank Digging Dog enough.
Positive swansdown
June 10, 2017
I've ordered perennials & shrubs from Digging Dog Nursery. Have been well satisfied with their offerings. I order by phone and the process is always a delight, with either Debbie Kruse, horticulturist and nursery co-owner, or Marie Keller, social media person,ready to answer my questions or make suggestions regarding their plant stock. The plants arrive on time and in excellent condition in their efficiently-sized pots. The little guys happily thrive in their confinement until I, the sometimes faithless gardener, finally plant them in the ground where they continue to grow and prosper.

In early spring of 2016, I ordered many plants but hadn't got all of them planted before summer's end. Two Persicarias Amplexicaulis 'Taurus,' one Veronicastrum Virginicum 'Lavendelturm,' and one Buddleja x Weyeriana 'Honeycomb' got left to their own devices, in their pots, as autumn rains began and then winter bore down on us in Portland, Oregon. Winter was a nasty piece of work; cold temps, early snowfall, ice storms, more snow, and then rain everlasting all through spring 2017.

Dead and deader, I thought, when I checked on the forlorn plants in their little pots during the depths of winter. Immediately, I succumbed to a bad case of gardener's guilt for murder by neglect. I furtively put them out of sight and forgot about them, mostly, until spring.

Thrilled and delighted, I discovered all the plants not only survived, but were growing healthily and hardily, multiple roots poking out of the various pot bottoms. It was like getting brand new plants! The Veronicastrum is branched, tall, and tightly budded. 'Honeycomb' is showing off its handsome foliage and those Persicarias look grandly healthy. These plants are bred to survive! I'm looking forward to the arrival, next week, of my 2017 order.

Positive Sarahh12345
Lea Hill, WA
June 4, 2017
I ordered a large number of perennials from Digging Dog Nursery this spring, and I am very pleased with the experience. I chose Digging Dog because (1) they had cultivars I couldn't find anywhere else, and (2) they could verify that the plants I ordered were grown neonic-free. They called me before they sent out the order and informed me that a couple of the perennials I had ordered, weren't well rooted yet so rather than send any poorly rooted plants, they worked with me to find substitutes (I could have waited for those ones to grow on also). The plants I received were all strong, well-rooted little plants, and I am very satisfied. I will happily order from Digging Dog again.
Positive dfchud
Chestnut Hill, MA
June 3, 2017
I'm happy to report that the 16 plants I ordered from you this spring are all thriving and I'm thrilled with my purchases. The plants were packed with great thought and care, and they arrived in excellent condition. I turned to you because I was unable to find a number of plants at my local nurseries in MA. Thanks to your exceptional selection and conscientious attention, my garden will be even more special this year!
Positive Paverpicker
Hamilton, OH
May 31, 2017
After over 40 years of catalog and online plant ordering, I can easily say that Digging Dog ranks near the top in my experience. I have ordered difficult-to-find plants from them twice. I knew up front that I would be receiving newer starts/rooted cuttings, and was quite surprised at the instant growth I noticed shortly after repotting the plants from them into my larger containers. After one month in my own containers, Additional root growth was so rapid that I was able to replant them in the ground. I like to repot and babysit plants for a short time to insure success, but also have no doubt that the plants I received from DD could have been directly planted into the ground with good results. THANK YOU DD for the insanely cool plants you sold to me!
Positive cdbotts
Sacramento, CA
May 30, 2017
I visited this nursery in person for the first time this year when I was in Mendocino. They had a great selection of plants and a few that were unusual. I had the chance to speak with the owners and they were very informative even about the rare plants. They have beautiful gardens as well. I was thoroughly impressed and would recommend this nursery to anyone whether you can visit the nursery itself or order through mail order!
Positive knoxgal
Knoxville, TN
May 21, 2017
I really like the selection of plants they have and was pleased with the quality of plants I received.

I will say that I wish they kept their online inventory updated. I ordered a plant and was contacted that it was out of stock. I made another selection (I spent an additional hour deciding which plant I should order) and was then told that it wasn't available until Fall so I couldn't have it either. Rather than waste more time I asked them to send my order without a replacement for the OOS.

Their shipping costs are high but the plants arrived in good condition and had suffered minimal stress which I really appreciated.

Negative Suzkling
Bandon, OR
May 17, 2017
last year I ordered several plants and they arrived poorly packaged and tiny.......I wrote to them re my dismay as they were to be gifts and I was disappointed; their response was defensive.....as in others love us why don't you...whatever...I let it go....I order a great deal from online nurseries as I live uber rural where there are few resources......I am very happy with my favorites: Annie's Annuals/Perennials and Far Reaches Farm are the best online .....they are top of the line A+........ this year I couldn't find the hardy geraniums I wanted anywhere else and thought the small sizes from Digging Dog would do fine for sturdy plants such as these.....imagine my surprise when they cancelled my order after several weeks.... telling me they had done so because I complained a year ago.........wow.........what a business model.....alienate/blame the customer and make no efforts at genuine communication..............odd and annoying.........I cannot imagine how they keep a business going with such an attitude.................
Positive Ves
Buffalo, NY (Zone 5b)
April 21, 2017
A great source of heirloom perennials that are difficult to find elsewhere. The plants are meticulously packaged and all arrived healthy. Some are smaller than others but that's OK because they are late-season bloomers and it's their normal growth at this time of the year. Others like primulas, two of which are hard-to-find heirlooms, are in full growth, healthy, and I expect their bloom soon. All in all, a wonderful nursery to which I will be returning with more orders in the future.
Positive fraleyk
Willoughby, OH
July 20, 2016
Digging Dog had a vine I was unable to find elsewhere (Vitis cognitae), so I decided to pay the high shipping cost and order two. When they arrived, one looked healthy (but small) and the other was broken and I was not sure it would live. I followed instructions by taking a picture of the plant, sending it to Digging Dog, and waiting the 2 week period they suggested. When it did not thrive, I requested a replacement. It arrive 2 weeks later (with apologies), much larger than my original plant and is thriving still. I applaud the customer service on this one.