The scoop on 'Nature Hills Nursery'

Nature Hills Nursery

3334 North 88th Plaza
Omaha, Nebraska 68134 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-864-7663
Fax: 1-866-550-9556

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative RSB6707
Franklin, TN
April 14, 2021
I ordered a serviceberry tree and fertilizer pack on January 29. The email said it would ship "Spring 2021." When I hadn't heard anything by March 22, I sent two messages via their chat platform and received no response. I submitted an email to their sales address, and received a general reply that it would ship "Spring 2021" and to check their shipping information page which offered nothing specific. March 25, I called and spoke to a representative who said it was shipping from the Pacific Northwest and should be going out soon.

As of April 7, I'd heard nothing else so I called and after selecting help with an existing order, was re-routed to a recorded message telling me to open a ticket at their website. Then it disconnected the call. I opened the ticket, then called back. Same message. Finally, I called again and selected the option for a design consultant. He told me he couldn't track my order, couldn't cancel or refund it, but wondered how long had I waited? I explained it was ordered in January and I'd been trying to track it down since March 22. He took my information and said he'd have customer service contact me that day. I told him and said it in the ticket I opened that if they weren't shipping it within the week to cancel and refund my order.

That night they responded to my ticket, did not address my request to cancel and did not provide a shipment date. They claimed they started shipping my zone that week and they were catching up, so it might be another week.

It's been another week and nothing has shipped, so yesterday I opened a dispute/claim through PayPal. This morning, I get a reply from Nature Hills that begins with, "It appears you've opened a dispute now..." Well...yes. I can't get ahold of someone who can address the problem via phone. No one responds on your chat platform. You have no specific shipment date, and I'm currently out $131 and change.

Nature Hills told me twice in that email to cancel the dispute and then they'd refund me. But after speaking with PayPal, they've confirmed if I do that, I can't re-open the dispute and then I'll be out of luck. I told Nature Hills that refunding my money via PayPal would automatically cancel the dispute. They claimed they'd refund me there, but as of this afternoon nothing is processing and they haven't responded to PayPal.

Further, Nature Hills claimed in a subsequent reply that my opening a dispute had "only further interrupted our ability to fulfill your order." They also said if I hadn't done this, it "MAY have shipped this week." Meaning it still isn't marked for shipment!

They've had more than three months to fulfill this order or provide an actual shipment date and they haven't done it. It's ridiculous to try and pin responsibility on the customer for delaying an order by opening a dispute because Nature Hills didn't fulfill the order within a reasonable timeframe.

In searching the Better Business Bureau, I found their business page had been flagged due to a pattern of complaints. Among those reasons listed was that customers claimed they hadn't received their products in a timely manner and requested a refund.
Negative mnhtnbb
Durham, NC
April 10, 2021
I placed a first order with Nature Hills on 2/28/2021. I heard nothing from them about any of the two trees and hydrangeas that were in the order. I placed a second order with them on 3/12 for a pair of lilacs. Still nothing. On 3/21 I went down to my local nursery and found just about everything I had ordered with them for good prices and excellent quality. Came home and attempted to cancel the order with Nature Hills, only they weren't open on Sunday. So I opened a "ticket". Called them on Monday and was advised the only way to cancel was to talk to them in person. Then they told me they couldn't cancel the hydrangeas because they were already "packed", but they could cancel everything else. They tried to get me to take a card with the refund amount, but I insisted they refund my credit card. They did issue the refunds within the 10-12 days promised, but only sent me notice of one of them. The other one I found by checking my credit card. When the hydrangeas arrived, I couldn't believe they'd charged me over $140. (with tax) for three puny little plants with hardly any root systems. The hydrangeas have been in the ground now for several weeks and there is no new growth on them. I'm sure it's all going to root development.

This is the kicker, though, that caused me to write this review. Yesterday I received an e-mail indicating that one of the trees I ordered was about to ship! What? I have an e-mail from Barry confirming the cancellation of this tree, dated almost 3 weeks ago. The money was refunded. When I discovered the e-mail on Friday, they were already closed. Opened a ticket. Called them this morning to discover 1) no phone calls are accepted; 2) Fill out a ticket; 3) I have been locked out of my account. When I attempt to check the status of the ticket that I opened last night, my e-mail and password are returned as "incorrect". When I attempt to change my password, I am told the e-mail is already taken. So, they have effectively created barriers making it impossible to contact them. Last resort, I called my credit card company and verified they have not tried to charge my card again and had the cc company issue me a new card. If Nature Hills Nursery tries to charge my card again for this previously canceled tree that is apparently about to ship, they will discover the charge won't go through.

Stay away from Nature Hills Nursery. I rarely write reviews, but I wish I had checked their reviews before I ordered from them and saved myself some time and money (left on the table for "cancelling"). It remains to be seen whether the $140. I put into the dwarf hydrangeas will produce anything.
Negative ASKMD
NEW YORK,
United States
March 25, 2021
merchant with such a misleading advertisements.
1- $34.95 worth hydrangea they sent me was size of a half the size of a man's palm. all dried up...such a fraud.
2-$63.95 worth dogwood died on following year.
3- they were going to give me the credit, 50% of the original cost, in the form of their store credit , BUT THE CREDIT CAN ONLY be USE while purchasing the item which is TWICE the price of the original item. AND if the credit was from plant then, I can only buy the plant, if the credit was from tree, then I can only use the credit while buying the tree, this is such a complex rule. fraud!!!
such a nasty rule...this is not a credit that you can use at all!
in my case, by their policy, I got $31.95 worth of their store credit which I can only use on something worth around $60,
If the item is only worth $40, my credit of $31.95 shrinks to $20,and I still have to pay $20. and I can only use to buy plant since the credit came from the plant.
if the item is $31.95, I still have to pay $16 since my store credit of 31.95 can only purchase 1/2 of the item which is about $32.
their credit is almost worth nothing.

Bottom line is Ö
what they selling is of very poor quality, worth almost nothing.
when you finally do call to ask for money back, they will give you 50% of the item as a store credit, but when you try to use the credit
they make you spend more money, at least equal the amount of the credit at minimum.

I would never use this store,
they should be investigate for their almost illegal merchant policy.
they are unethical. they are not nice people.
they don't have honest business.

It is really TOO BAD for the people who came before me and really TOO BAD for the people who will come in the future not knowing what they will have to experience.

This is a TRAP.
Neutral holly_grower
Bear, DE
September 9, 2020
Not having read all the negative reviews posted here, I ordered a 3-gallon size Ilex glabra 'Chamzin' Nordic (TM). The plant arrived in May, in good condition, and was carefully packaged. It has grown slowly but has done well since planting. The label showed it had been grown by Lake County Nursery in Perry, Ohio, where the variety originated in the 1980s. However, there is some confusion over whether the plant is male or female, as evidenced by Q&A on the Nature Hills website, and Nature Hills has not returned my email on the subject. The plant they shipped is definitely female, with pistillate (female) flowers and small black fruits, and Lake County Nursery confirms this is typical for 'Chamzin'.
Negative crisseh
Concord, MA
September 6, 2020
I ordered a coral bark japanese maple tree on 5/21/20. I emailed about 2 weeks later to inquire as to when it would be shipped (the order confirmation said it was in stock & would be sent out in 10-14 days). I was told that because of weather, they had put a hold on it. I asked that it be sent out ASAP. A month later, still no tree. I emailed again & was told again that it was on hold because of weather. So I called & spoke to someone named Barry who was quite rude & interrupted me constantly. If I cancelled the order they would refund me less a 10% restocking fee. So here it is 9/6/20 and still no tree. I have emailed again but have received no reply so I guess I'll have to call and deal with Barry again. If this order isn't fulfilled soon, I'll have to take legal action.
Negative Sherrymorrison
Spokane, WA
August 8, 2020
I ordered four plants on 5/17/20 to avoid shopping during Covid. It took a week between shipment and arrival about 5/30/20. One of the plants arrived and looked like it had been trying to grow in the dark with long spindly yellow branches and brown dying leaves. I planted all the plants adding miracle grow soil and compost. The sick plant tried to grow some leaves but the spindly stems wilted and the plant just started dying. I contacted the company asking for a replacement on 7/15/20 and Barry said he thought the plant would make it and give it some more time. I contacted him again 8/5/20 once it was completely dead and Barry only offered a 50% credit on that plant and would not offer free shipping to replace it. My 3 other plants are doing fine, although they are smaller than i expected for the price, but this plant was clearly not healthy. This is substandard service. Don't buy plants from this company. It's not worth it.
Negative lbambrick
Naperville, IL
July 29, 2020
Don't order from them! 2 of the 4 plants I ordered started turning brown a week after planting. Due to the nature of evergreens by the time they started turning brown my 4 days were up to put in a shipping claim so they refused to replace or reimburse. Their customer service is awful! I submitted a BBB complaint and they still say they stand behind their plants and guarantee the ship healthy ones. I asked for photos of how healthy they were before shipping! Ha! There is no way to know how healthy a plant is until you transplant it. They are scammers taking advantage of people online ordering because of COVID! Warn your family and friends and stay far away!
Negative GrannyRad
El Paso, TX
July 1, 2020
BUYERS BEWARE! I purchased 2 sets of plants from this company in April and May. The first were 3 rosa rugosa that arrived the end of May to my zone 8b location. While the whips were about 3 ft long and had some bare root to them, many of the canes were broken and damaged in transit. They had not been trimmed for shipping, just dug and thrown in a box. They were so dry that the bark was actually peeling off when you touched them. After soaking the roots, as you would any bare root rose, they were planted in their own 24x24 cardboard amazon box (yes, I didnt have enough pots left so recycled) in good planting soil mixed with deodorized cow manure and added natural dried leaves to keep the soil moist. It is now the first of July and they have still to break bud or give any sign of life, they have even been dosed with SuperThrive but show no signs of life. That was $100 that I will never see again.
The second order with them has never shown up. I ordered 2 wisteria from them the beginning of May. Because we historically start with our high heat in June, I was concerned with timing, especially in light of delayed shipping because of the pandemic. When I ordered, however, the website said 7-10 days so felt I was safe and went about and prepared the planting sites. When they didnt arrive by Memorial Day, I emailed the company who reported that they were behind with shipping but were "working around the clock to process orders" and I would receive an email when they were sent (I never received one for the rugosas btw, this huge box that fought the mailman all the way up just showed up one day) I just emailed the company again (last week of June) to cancel my order.Their reply was that they were no longer shipping to my area because of the weather (they did not say WHEN they would resume like August or September) so I reiterated that I wanted to cancel my order because of the lack of communication on their part. They have replied that there will be a 10% fee for cancelling and it could take 10-12 days for my credit card to reflect. While I certainly understand the issues facing the growers right now, the lack of communication on their part is what made me cancel my order. I don't think they should be charging the 10% either since they led me to believe that shipping was eminent in May and its now July, but thats a business decision they have to deal with. That's another $100 gone and either dead or non existant product. This company appears to be a sham, taking your money and never delivering stock. Should I mention that in 3 emails, I have had 3 different people answer me? That's a lot of customer service people for no service when the time and effort it took they could have pushed my order through at the appropriate time. My guess is they are using a 3rd party cs to answer emails that have no link to the company other than access to their emails and are no where in relationship to the growers.
Negative SugarTLH
Tallahassee, FL
July 1, 2020
Purchased over $400 worth of fruit trees. They were delivered diseased, scraggly and underwhelming for the what was advertised. I specifically didnt shop local because they touted their mature healthy plants, so I thought it was worth the extra money.
The trees were very delayed and customer service was slow to respond as to the status of my order- in fact, never answering the phones or ability to leave a message. Only contact was via email.

When the trees came, they all had something wrong with them. I immediately reached out to customer service with photos and they promptly responded "we dont guarantee". I asked for a supervisor/owner - no response. I filed with the BBB in Omaha and the FTC and which point they responded asking for how i planted, cared for these trees. I immediately responded saying they were delivered this way - it wasnt care "after the fact". I left them a poor review on Facebook that they promptly removed and blocked.
BUYER BEWARE - the ONLY reviews that will every get posted by them are positive and they are far from a great experience or value for the money. Lesson learned for me but hopefully a note of caution for other consumers
Positive SML2
Nottingham, MD
June 20, 2020
I've ordered Sweetspire, Coral Bells, and Butterfly Bush from Nature Hills. All have arrived in 1-3 gallon containers and very healthy. All are now thriving in my garden. They are a go-to site for me if they have the species I'm looking for.
Negative infinity308
Lincoln, NE
June 4, 2020
Ordered two bare root trees, one of their Wisteria trees, a forsythia, raspberry, and rhododendron for over $300. First they took way longer than other nurseries to ship and were fairly pricey.

Once they arrived, and two months later, their trees have still not budded out. I didn't read up on their warranty until too late, but it turns out it's terrible. Go with someone else who has a free (and better) warranty, and ships quality products.

Their wisteria tree is still alive, though it's a wisp of a plant. Looks like a regular wisteria that was simply trimmed to one stem and tied to a bamboo stake. I could've done that myself for much lower cost. Assumed (my mistake) that it would be sent a little more established.

To be fair, the forsythia and rhododendron have done fine, and remain alive.

The raspberry was shipped over a month and a half after ordering, and I was away when it arrived, so it died in the box by the time I got back.

Overall, extremely disappointed. To the point where I'm writing a review which I rarely bother to do. Won't be shopping here again.
Negative twitser
Dawsonville, GA
May 22, 2020
Well my 18 year old son accidentally ran over my Korean Spice Viburnum. I bought this as a starter plant two years ago for 11 bucks. My son, who wanted to correct the situation, looked for a viburnum online and found one on Nature Hill's for 75 dollars plus 25 shipping. I don't know why he did this but he bought it with his hard earned money. When he told me I begged him to cancel the order as that was an insane amount of money to pay for a viburnum. It had only been 15 minutes since he made the order, we thought he could call and cancel. Well you can guess the rest. They took his call and said "Well you have to email this other department." He emailed, his father emailed and of course they ignored us. I looked them up online and realized that considering their reputation, not only are they going to take his money without acknowledging him, I probably am going to end up with a dead and damaged bush to add insult to injury. My son didn't understand the mine field that online gardening is and for the life of me I don't know why he spent a hundred dollars to replace a plant. He's a good boy with good intentions. Nature Hills is a sleezebag company. I know they didn't have to cancel an order placed within fifteen minutes but they should have. What a bunch of dirtbags. Heed the negative reviews and stay away.
Negative jetpilot
Newnan, GA
May 14, 2020
NEVER use Nature Hills Nursery!
I purchased a pecan tree from them in April 2020. The Tree arrived in the shipping container inverted (upside-down) which resulted in major damage to the tree. Four of the tree's eight branches were broken off, and the remaining four branches were damaged. I contacted their customer service department via telephone and emailed them pictures of the damaged tree. I requested either a replacement tree, or a refund, both of which were denied.
I will NEVER do business with Nature Hills Nursery again. They do not sell quality products, nor do they stand behind their product.
Negative LRobinson
Littleton, CO
April 20, 2020
Ordered 4 lilac bushes last summer, 2 common white and 2 common purple. Shame on me I didnít realize the different varieties would be so different in height. All 4 were 2 year plants in 3 gallon containers at $115 each. But the white lilacs were twice as tall, very leggy, handful of leaves. One of the containers was crushed on one side. The purple lilacs had better shape but lots of dead leaves. Contacted Nature Hills to advise and return. Sent photos. After multiple back and forth emails I was informed I had no options for return, refund, partial credit, nothing. Quite unsatisfactory and stressful experience.

I also ordered and received 2 Endless Summer hydrangeas. They obviously came from a different supplier. Well packed, grew well, prolific blooms into October last year. Iím happy with them and they are already growing new stems with tiny buds.

However, after the very negative interactions on the Lilacs, I will never order from this company again. I donít need the stress.
Positive tylerla555
Dubuque, IA
September 18, 2019
My experience with Spring Hill was far different than many of the others I have read here. In the past year, I have ordered two separate trees from the Iseli Jack Frost Series of Hybrid Japanese Maples (Ice Dragon and North Wind). The Ice Dragon was Planted in April, and the North Wind last week (September). The Ice Dragon was little more than a whip, though it was the better part of 3.5 feet tall. The North Wind was also slightly taller than expected, though it had not filled out the gallon container it was. In fact, the soil was quite loose.

However, the Ice Dragon has grown far beyond my expectations. Note that I did not fertilize or treat the tree in any special way whatsoever. It has easily put on 18-24 inches of growth in a single season, and trunk has reached close to a 3/4 inch caliper at 6 inches.

The North Wind is still up in the air, but it transplanted very well. I see no reason to be concerned for the tree, considering it will experience a fantastic season of root growth and establishment prior to winter.

If you are ordering these trees, I would never hesitate to recommend Spring Hill. They are typically very hard to find, and the prices, when combined with their flat rate shipping and discounts, cannot be beat.
Negative katheeh
Spreckels, CA
August 7, 2019
THIS WAS MY ONLY EXPERIENCE WITH NATURE HILLS NURSERY VIA INTERNET.

QUICK TO TAKE YR MONEY...SLOW ON SERVICE....WILL USE THE CLIMATE FOR REASONS THEY CAN NOT SHIP...NO UPDATES...YOU CAN WAIT 40 PLUS DAYS.. WHEN YOU ASK FOR A REFUND... .THEY TAKE 10% OFF THE TOP. CLAIM THIS IS IN THE AGREEMENT...WHEN YOU PURCHASED. IF IT WAS...I DID NOT SEE IT!

SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE...DO BUSINESS WITH OTHER NURSERY'S
Negative deh242
Livingston, NJ
August 7, 2019
They do not stand behind their product!!! I was sent a tree with a broken leader and they would not give me a full refund; instead they came up with some excuse why it is better for the leader to be broken. They want me to pay for return shipping and then charge me a 40% restocking fee! But nowhere on their pages do they say they do this to the tree. I have never had an issue with online plant nurseries standing behind their product before Nature Hills. Never again!
Negative kateyez0405
Morton, PA
June 20, 2019
Would NEVER use this company again. I ordered 2 items as a housewarming gift for my son. They arrived in April but by June both were dead. No signs of life at all. Waiting to do a "scratch test" is a joke. They were dead!! Items ordered were Korean Spice Viburnum and Jane Magnolia. Originally I was told over the phone I would just have to pay the FEDEX charge. When I send over pictures to prove the second item was dead as well as the first, I am now told that I would be charged half the price of items plus the fedex charge. I finally sucked it up and was going to get the replacements, but now am told they are not in stock, but by the way the one item that cost $50 they did have a larger size in stock for double that price!!! NEVER NEVER ORDER FROM THEM. I am out $135 from my original order, and just put an order in with another company. They could NEVER be the #1 on line nursery. They are the #1 rip off.
Negative moca138
Columbia, MO
June 12, 2019
I wish I'd looked up reviews for this company or read their guarantee policy before I ordered trees. To their credit, 6 of the trees we ordered and planted are doing great. But, the two ginko trees which came in fall dormant did not show any signs of life this spring, unlike all the others. I emailed the company and they had me do the scratch test and send photos, which I did. Then Barry sent me an email informing me of their ridiculous policy in which I will be buying another two trees at only half the cost of the originals! Yay! So I get to invest even more hard earned cash on the hopes that these trees are viable. I guess when they aren't any good, I get half off another set of bad trees? This company gives you no real recourse when the trees are duds. I will never purchase from them again nor would I ever recommend anyone do business with them. It's too bad for them, because I'm a local Real Estate broker and refer my clients to the companies that I use that work out well. So, they've lost my business and all my clients future business.
Negative jvzima
Mc Lean, VA
May 24, 2019
I have previously been pleased with products from Nature Hills, but found myself feeling cheated this spring, over a dead plant that was sent in March. Having preordered a "Professor Kippenburg Aster" in January of this year, I wrongly assumed it would be sent at a suitable time for planting in the spring. Instead, it was sent in 30 degree weather in March. I dutifully planted it in a pot despite the fact that it appeared shriveled and dead, and proceeded to watch it. One month later, as the weather warmed slightly, I saw no sign of life. I wrote to the company, sending pictures, and requested a replacement, as this small 2 inch plant was $35 (I was equally surprised at how small the plant was when it arrived-expecting something much larger). The customer service person I spoke to asked me to give the plant a few more weeks to perk up, and to send more pictures. 2 weeks later, I dutifully sent more pictures of the shriveled stem, and was told to wait another week. I again sent more pictures, at which time I was told there are no refunds, and the best they could offer was a 1/2 price plant if I also paid again for shipping.
I do not feel it is my responsibility to pay for a dead plant. I now feel terribly wronged, and while I have enjoyed the selection that this nursery has had in the past, I feel slighted and taken advantage of, and will not use them again. It is only fair that if they send shotty product, that it be replaced. This dead plant was never alive, and they should stand by their products.
Negative gweigel
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6a)
May 11, 2019
I also ordered a Scarlet Fire dogwood, and mine was dead on arrival. It never budded out at all. I'm a certified horticulturist and garden author who's successfully planted thousands of trees and shrubs, so the failure to thrive is not a case of user error. The weather also has been cooperative. I took a chance on this company despite the many negative reviews. That was a mistake. The company's guarantee of a half refund is a poor one as well... and telling of their confidence in their products. The only reason I went this route in the first place is that none of our local nurseries had Scarlet Fire dogwood available yet.
Positive calebstroh
Kaysville, UT
May 5, 2019
I ordered two (2) Scarlet Fire Dogwood from Nature Hills in February, online. I would have preferred that the plants get to my location in late March, even though its a bit early, as I like to get them in ground while fully dormant. I guess I'm just impatient. Regardless, they shipped them at what they felt the appropriate time (Mid April) and they were still mostly dormant, so no problems here.

These were potted 4-5 foot tall plants, packaged well. During shipment the soil had become lose; I washed it away, soaked the roots, and planted them immediately. They are doing well so far and starting to break bud.

Overall a positive experience. Healthy plants arrived in fair condition (you can't expect a POTTED plant to arrive without SOME soil disturbance...be realistic folks!) From here on out the plants life is up to ME...quit complaining if it dies AFTER YOU PLANT IT...that's your fault...not the nursery's. -CJ
Negative Mamma_Fortunata
Wilton, CT
April 24, 2019
I ordered 4 of the Daphne Marianni in January. They shipped in April.

I was supposed to receive #1 containers ranging from 2.26 to 3.73 dry quarts / 2.49 to 4.11 dry liters in volume. The containers were that big, but ALL 4 of the Daphne Marianni had shaken loose, in transit, revealing the fact that their root balls were tiny and not anywhere close to the size they should be. They were all obviously very recently transplanted from trays and still had the square shape from the smaller containers.

I emailed the company same day of receiving plants and sent photos. I requested a refund and return instructions. Charlotte emailed me that horticultural team to have a look and would be back in touch here very soon.

They never did, so I disputed charge with credit card company.

Besides having very little roots. I think these poor shrubs were left too long in the trays and now had a leggy "tree" appearance.

They were not dead, but that was about all I could say for them.
Negative ErinMcK32
Dayton, OH
April 15, 2019
This company sent me four dead redbud trees. I am a plant person, not a newbie who doesn't know when a dormant tree is dead or alive.

I followed the "protocol" with the first set of trees, then got screwed out of more money despite having purchased a warranty to replace the first set of trees. The second set came, and I was home to receive them off the shipping truck. They were dead upon arrival. They had no roots except for a few thicker, dead ones. I followed the "protocol" anyway, and planted them as instructed.

Two weeks later, I could snap dry, brown, hard wood off the top multiple inches of each "tree." There was no green, living wood anywhere.

First the company's story was that they don't cover "replacement plants," but then they said they wouldn't refund me or replace the plants because I didn't send a picture where I "scratched" the (second set) of dead plants?! I had spoken to Julie, a representative of the company, and she did not inform me I would need to do so.

I am not surprised the company has given me no satisfaction, as an online search reveals that the company operates by scam.

Bottom line: They have 189 of my dollars. I have the 4 dead trees from them.
Negative Dano1960
New Albany, IN
March 25, 2019
BUYER BEWARE---Ordered 2 "Autumn Blooming Cherry" trees in mid-September of 2018, was told at that time and then with subsequent calls into NHN (prior to end of 2018) that tress should be shipped when they went dormant (late October/November period) and would still be ok to plant when shipped/received. Well, fast forward 6+ months and still no trees!

Called NHN Customer Service, and while apologetic, I was told that it would be several more weeks before ANY trees would be begin shipping out and gave me no definitive time period other than that as to when I would possibly receive MINE. So, I asked for and got a refund but MINUS a "10% Cancellation Fee" for something I NEVER got!!! No trees and out nearly $20 and had to wait 7 months for NOTHING!!!

So, I could have gone to a local nursery back in September of 2018, planted the trees then and had 7+ months of root establishment by this time (late March 2019). Despite all the promises, and "alleged" positive reviews on their website, my experience makes me question the sincerity of those reviews and their ongoing promises of delivery. I will never use this company again, and will by local from here on out! Lesson learned!
Negative kenbrumfield
Houston, TX
March 5, 2019
I ordered a cherry tree. A month later when it had not arrived I called to cancel. They informed me there was a ten dollar fee. The did absolutely nothing and stole ten dollars!

Do not buy from these crooks!
Negative tom_pixel
Asheville, NC
October 16, 2018
Posted on June 11, 2018, updated October 16, 2018
Company owned ? but yet ship out of Florida ?
I ordered a sourwood back in May , dern thing came dry root , wrapped in pine needles !! Any one cud have looked at the tree and realized it was DEAD , All branches were brown , I scrapped off bark on trunk, brown , roots were even dead .........
I sent 2 e mails to Nature Hills , wanted me to send pict of dead bark which I did , never heard back from them , requesting money back .

Not hearing from them , I called today , requesting money back and would not ever order from them again .
I was told " as a courtesy they would ship another one in the fall due to hot weather and WOULD NOT GIVE ME A REFUND . I told em done ordering from this place and would never again order from them . For 57 dollars , All I got was ONE DEAD TREE , poorly wrapped which came out of Florida , NOT NE.

Their Sales are FINAL poor PR. I am Final with them as well
...............te
On October 16th, 2018, tom_pixel added the following:

Well today , Barry from nature hills left me message to call back to verify my address , which I did . They will be sending me a refund check via mail. Tis only been since May when I placed an order and received a DEAD tree .
I asked if they wanted me to mail back the dead tree , as I have it on the deck still .

Nope , do what ever you want with the dead tree .
Negative TomB123
San Jose, CA
July 16, 2018
Blue Chinese Wisteria Tree

First of all after having bought this tree from Nature Hills Nursery on 2/5/17 for $69.95 including shipping. On April 24, 2018 the plant finally bloomed a pink color -- not BLUE. Not to mention that the plant is a vine and NOT A TREE.

I sent an email to voice my displeasure of the color and Nature Hill's excuse was that they propagated this 'Tree' from a seed so therefore could not guarantee the color. DURR, that is why fruit trees have to be grafted to guarantee that the fruit is the way you want it. So I wrote back to ask why was this plant not vegetatively propagated that way bloom color is guaranteed?
I'm not waiting for a response since their MO is deny deny deny.

In short there is no such thing as a wisteria tree and no such thing as a Blue Wisteria. Sham company, eventually someone will launch a class action lawsuit to sue them.
Negative Mintybud
Old Lyme, CT
July 10, 2018
I would give Nature Hills 120% for total aggravation. I ordered a redbud tree along with two other trees that arrived small and bareroot. The redbud arrived dead. I had to send proof that it was dead by photos of a scratch test that had to be approved by the nursery manager. I was then told a replacement would be shipped. Two weeks later a viburnum seedling showed up as a replacement not another redbud. I called and was told they have redbuds in stock but everyone was off for the July 4th week and that the nursery manager needs to give the ok to approve sending another redbud out. I followed up the beginning of the following week and was told that now there were no more redbuds. That I would get an in store credit. I WANT A REFUND. It has been almost a month since the first dead tree arrived. I will dispute the charge with my credit card company and we won't be ordering from them again EVER.
Negative bearsweet
Sanford, ME
June 13, 2018
I guess it was my fault for not reading reviews first. My experience has been the same as others. My bare root bushes arrived, one was a stick and already dead. The other died within hours of being planted. When I called, I was told that she had spoken with me on 1 May! Only I had not called on this before! So I'd like to know how she spoke with me. I realize I will not get my money back on this, and I really don't want "replacement" bushes. These people are terrible. I doubt they will attempt to contact me and work out a satisfactory solution! It would be nice to get a refund so I can purchase the same plants from someone who cares.
Negative BirdmanOKC
Oklahoma City, OK
June 5, 2018
I initially ordered a Pink Beauty Potentila and when I received it the plant was dead. I contacted Nature Hills Nursery and paid again for them to ship me a replacement. I received the replacement Pink Beauty Potentila on 05 Jun 2018 and when I opened the box I was shocked to see another dead plant. There where no leaves on the plant and the stems where brown and brittle. Now I am out the original cost for the Pink Beauty Potentila and the replacement cost. Be aware that this company will take your money and ship you dead plants.
Positive Karina55
West Chester, PA
May 8, 2018
I have purchased from Nature's Hill in the distant past and recently moved. I decided to read the reviews here because I wanted to purchase a couple of shrubs. I noticed many negative reviews which did not seem to describe the experience I remembered from before. So I decided to go with my personal memory of Nature's Hill and am very glad I did.

I have purchased three potted winterberry shrubs, 2 female and a male for pollination. They arrived when they supposed to , excellently packed and undamaged. I planted them in large pots according to the directions to the tee. I cut off an inch at the bottom of the root ball to stimulate new growth, I soaked the potted roots as per instructions. I did not pile soil over the base of the shrub.

They are beautiful, growing vigorously, and I am as pleased as punch about them. I will a picture if possible. Nope. Won't let me paste or attachť a pic. 😟

Positive swdolat
Natick, MA
April 15, 2018
I ordered 5 hydrangeas and 4 weigela's on a Sunday. They arrived on Wednesday in beautiful condition. Even had a bloom on one or two weigelas. Very happy with my experience thus far.
Negative MarlasGarden
Bluffton, SC
March 26, 2018
Just received two boxwood in #5 containers at $100 a piece. Boy do I feel taken advantage of. Plants are tiny and when talking to Barry at customer service all he would say is they will grow. No help. No restitution. Gave me his bosses voice mail but with their attitude I will be surprised if I ever hear from them.

As they say, fool me once it's on me, but they won't fool me twice. Run away from these guys.
Negative MNewell
Cutler, OH (Zone 5a)
July 14, 2017
Non viable stock, notified company upon receipt that tap root was damaged, and no auxiliary root structure. Was asked to be patient to allow tree to break dormancy, kept in touch with the company over 8 weeks, tree is officially a dead stick in the ground. The replacement policy is: I have to pay 50%of the replacement cost plus shipping to have the dead stock they sent replaced with non warranted new, probably dead stock. I will not spend another cent for anything from this company. This was a $60.00 plus shipping mistake for me and a HUGE mistake for them as I love to buy plants, but never again from them.
Negative Eric_D
Salt Lake City, UT
July 14, 2017
What an utter disappointment this shop is. We ordered a "bare root" American Sycamore with a fair bit of excitement. What arrived was such a sad specimen that we laughed and affectionately called it our "dead stick." It was about 5 feet tall and maybe 1/8" in diameter, bone dry with NO apparent living buds for limbs, and single spindle of "root" maybe four inches long protruding from the bottom.

But, I trusted them and followed their directions to a tee, planted, fed, and watered faithfully, and sat back self-consciously hoping it would grow as we cared for it. A few neighbors stopped by and shared chuckles with us at the care I was giving this pitiful thing. After a couple week, a neighbor who is a well-respected arborist and Landscape Architect who does a great deal of work for the city stopped by and gave it a good once over. He quickly assessed that it was not "dormant," but quite dead and likely had been for a very long time. They had, indeed, mailed us a dead stick.

That's bad enough, but to add insult to injury, their "warranty" requires us to pay for another tree (at half the original price in fairness) AND shipping. That's not a warranty, that's a racket! Needless to say we won't be doing that, and will instead be making every effort to let everyone know to be very wary of this company. They're not a quality business.
Neutral mcrosby57
Arlington, WA
July 13, 2017
Purchased Black Eyed Susans and Echinacea plants. These plants are perennial. I was hoping for plants that would be mature enough to bloom this year. Plants in May (prime planting time for Puget Sound, zone 8, area). All plants died to the ground immediately. About 4 of the 7 are now showing green leaves to start the season. It is the middle of July. I checked the soil ph, I have watered appropriately, the soil is well draining. The plants are planted in full sun, according to directions. I think the plants I have will survive but most likely will not bloom this year. This should have been noted in the instructions. I could have started these from seeds so much cheaper. I feel scammed. I should have read reviews here, first.
Negative RosieinAshland
Ashland, VA
July 12, 2017
I had a similar experience. I ordered a redbud tree. It came as a bare root, but when I put it in the ground, the little bit of dirt that came with it fell off and there were only a few hairs. Still, I put it in the ground, watered it regularly and after a month nothing happened. After 2 months nothing happened. So I called, and it turns out when you agree to buy something from them, the "guarantee" that you agree to says that you can buy another item to replace the bad one that they sent for 1/2 price plus shipping. I did not do that. They are just a bad company. There were two other items they sent me recently that were much less expensive, and those failed also, but they were so cheap, I decided to let them go. The tree was expensive, and I wanted my money back. The company does not send viable plants. When they send a bare root item like this red bud, the roots need to be much more robust. It looks like they put a twig in a rooting medium, and as soon as a few hairs develop, they send them to customers. Not a good practice. I would like you to send this to them. Maybe they would change their practices.
Neutral rochester12
Rochester, MN
June 22, 2017
I have purchased a number of trees/shrubs from Nature Hills Nursery and the reason I am rating them neutral that most of the plans were fine except for a couple (sassafras, tulip tree) and poor replacement policy. Tulip and sassafras (same problem next season) trees did not took off and died. Here is the standard response for replacement: "we offer a 1-year warranty as a courtesy to our customers. We require our customers to call and speak to a customer service representative when placing a replacement order. This ensures there will be no confusion and the request will be completed at that time. With our 1-year warranty you would be responsible for 1/2 of the current selling price plus shipping." I have bought tulip tree (about similar size) from Arbor Day Foundation for a fraction of the price and it is thriving; just got sassafras tree (again about similar size, but for a fraction of the price) from Growers Solution at Amazon and it looks gorgeous.
Negative KnottyPine
Goldendale, WA
June 20, 2017
Never order from this company! We ordered a Jane Magnolia tree and paid $49 plus shipping so almost $70 for this tree. It arrived as a bunch of twigs with what might be some buds. A month goes by, no change. We contact Nature Hills and was told it takes about 2 months. Another month, no change. I send pictures. The company says as a courtesy they will replace it with their 1-year warranty which requires me to pay pay HALF of the current price for the tree PLUS shipping which was over $20! Paying another $50 to replace the tree that arrived DEAD is not a warranty.