The scoop on 'Annie's Annuals and Perennials'

Annie's Annuals and Perennials

Annie's Annuals and Perennials has 2421 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Annie's Annuals and Perennials is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

801 Chesley Ave.
Richmond, California 94805 (United States)

Phone: 888.266.4370
Fax: 800.819.5913

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Annie's Annuals and Perennials at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive AgnesMarie
Temecula, CA
February 22, 2021
I was super impressed with your shipping...an A+ to the person who designed the boxes, dividers, etc. Everything arrived in great condition on the day after you shipped the order. Thanks for the great attention to detail. I enjoyed finding plants that I don't see every day.
I'm an avid gardener who currently has over 350 daffodils in bloom.
AgnesMarie
Positive GardenLover72
Emeryville, CA
January 28, 2021
I called the other day and spoke to a man named Jarel (spelling?). He was so incredibly friendly and helpful.

He was super informative and answered all of my questions with enthusiasm. He helped quell some of my fears of plants being out of stock.

I've been ordering from Annie's for a few years now. I've always loved their plants and their customer service is impeccable. Highly recommend.
Negative lifeinpain
Richardson, TX
December 19, 2020
In my last order from Annie's I received 4 nepeta that were 2" tall. The roots had not even reached the edge of the pots. They were in fact seedlings. In my previous orders all the plants were well developed in foliage and the root system.

When I emailed their customer service I was assured that while small, the plants were "the perfect size for transplanting". My response was that I was glad that 40F weather would be no problem for such small plants.

I seek no refund or credit. I was just shocked at the discrepancy in products received. I have no confidence in ordering again.
Company representative comment on January 28, 2021:
On Jan 28, 2021 11:53 AM, Annie\'s Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hello lifeinpain,
We are sorry you were unhappy with the size of the Nepeta tuberosa you received. Our goal is to ship well-rooted and healthy plants, ready to go in the ground and thrive. We have made a note in your file and will happily issue a gift card or refund if the plants do not survive.
Please contact us at (888)266-4370 x 1

Positive jshaffer89
Orlando, FL
December 9, 2020
I have nothing but positive things to say. Their website has a massive selection of plants. I selected my zone and took hours going from page to page in awe with the selection and variety. I enjoyed seeing all of the wonderful pictures they had available making it easier to make decisions on my purchase. The order process was very easy and they have group shipping so I decided on 6 plants. They mentioned that the shipping may be postponed if weather is severe. My package was shipped on time and received on time. The box shows a lot of care to making sure that the package is treated properly during shipping. The plants were very secure in the packing they provided. Each plant wrapped to make sure soil doesn't fall out and the plant remains secure. Rubber banded to make sure the wrapping stays secure, and each plant labeled. All plants arrived looking very beautiful, soil lightly moist to the touch, and a few of the plants with flower buds getting ready to pop open. Instructions for on caring for the plants after receiving them was also provided to alleviate any confusion I may have had upon their arrival. I emailed the company and they quickly replied thanking me for my business.

I will be shopping with them again when spring comes.
Positive mountainmarcie
Laytonville, CA
November 13, 2020
Ebony Roberts from Annie's Annuals was so very helpful to me when I was placing my order. She also knew her plant material very well, and she was able to recommend additional plants that would do well for me.

It was a joy to place this order.
Positive desertrim53
Union, OR
November 1, 2020
As an experienced gardener I have had the pleasure, and sometimes disappointment, of mail order purchases. After literally decades of online ordering, I can without doubt say that Annie's Annuals and Perennials is, quite simply, the best. Large, robust plants, good pot size, and so expertly wrapped and packaged that they all made it to my destination in wonderful style. I am a return customer for sure, now, and hope others add Annie's to their list of "go-to" plant places for ordering. You won't be disappointed!
Positive tomspeak
Vashon, WA
October 15, 2020
I was very very pleased with the quality of plants and the care in the shipping process. I've been gardening my whole life and have never received mail order live plants in such healthy condition and so perfectly packed. Each pot was wrapped in paper, secured by rubber bands then placed in a specifically designed box for 6 plants. The plants were are robust and healthy. I couldn't be more delighted.
Positive ElizabethN
Berkeley, CA
October 15, 2020
I ordered six plants from Annie's and they arrived in vibrant health and with super-secure packaging. I'm very happy with the quality and selection and will definitely be ordering from them again.
Positive dgname
Shawnee Mission, KS
October 8, 2020
Posted on October 5, 2020, updated October 8, 2020
This was my first order from Annie's and I was very pleased. I have some experience with perennials, and I was impressed with the health, size, and packing of the plants I ordered. In addition, Bluestone's customer service was outstanding--they offered guidance on how to care for the plants (which I am planting in a new bed) over the first winter. All in all, a great experience. I will be a repeat customer.
On October 8th, 2020, dgname added the following:

TYPO! I meant to say Annie's, not Bluestone. I've ordered from both, and both are exceptional. Annie's is particularly strong in offering plants that don't seem to be available elsewhere, and their comprehensive attribute list (including, very importantly for me, clay-tolerant) is outstanding.
Positive dmacdumes
Bloomington, IN
September 10, 2020
Wonderful service! The plants came beautifully packed and in great condition. Looking forward to ordering again!
Positive lonefarmer
August 31, 2020
I ordered a few plants from Annie's because they had a few varieties that are hard to find, especially at the moment. Their website was easy to navigate and very informative, with lots of info on the plants.The plants arrived in two days. Everything was backed amazingly well. Each plant was individually wrapped and placed in its own little cardboard holder, isolated from other plants. The strong shipping box was well packaged. No leaks, no spills. I pulled the plants out one by one and checked them carefully. They were a good size and every plant was perfect. Every branch, every leaf perfect! The plants were very healthy looking and full. They smelled great too. I ordered some tarragon, rosemary, oregano and lemon verbena. Eight plants total.
Annie's was able to accommodate my request for delivery even with the extreme heat. I am very satisfied with my order and I will be looking to see what other great plants I might want! These are the best plants I have ever received online. I would definitely recommend Annie's!
Thank you Annie's!!

Positive chezronify
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA
August 14, 2020
I love Annie's annuals. I order from them regularly! They never fail to quickly send and securely ship the best plants! My last shipment had such large chunky and healthy plants that I was blown away! I also like that Annie cares about bees and does not use neonicotinoid pesticides on her plants. She always has unusual great plants that no other nursery has!
Positive cwalke
Longview, WA (Zone 8b)
August 8, 2020
Posted on June 13, 2020, updated August 8, 2020
Posted on June 10, 2019, updated June 13, 2020
I've ordered from Annies on a couple occasions because they have plants not available elsewhere, I appreciate the care they take in shipping and the plants are usually healthy if not terrible large.
My last order arrived last month and shipping had been delayed (by UPS) for a couple days so the plants were in a bit of rough shape when I got them out of the box. One was very small and also pretty wilted, another was really quite shriveled up and broken as wel. l contacted Annies, sent photos, and was pleasantly surprised that they immediately offered to replace the plant that was broken although they didn't have any more of the other (small) plant. At any rate I ended up ordering a couple extra plants since the rep told me the replacement shipping would be free. The new plants arrived in a timely manner and were healthy and ready to plant.
Pleasantly surprised at the ease of the transaction and Andrea, the rep, was so helpful.
On June 13th, 2020, cwalke added the following:

during the pandemic I have been ordering more plants online and I know that Annies is always reliable for quality plants, packaged well, and guaranteed. I have received two orders this year from Annies and both have been outstanding. I have another order due for delivery in July and am looking forward to it.

On August 8th, 2020, cwalke added the following:

The plants ordered I earlier in the spring have settled in and are blooming beautifully. My July order arrived recently and I was thinking as I planted them how nice the root systems on Annies plants are... well-developed and healthy. Yes the shipping is a bit pricey but I'd rather pay the extra to have great plants available from a vendor like Annies. During the quarantine I've come to really appreciate the service of several online nurseries (and other businesses) and Annies is definitely at the top of my list.
Positive foxyloxy
Louisville, OH
August 5, 2020
I ordered 3 variety of Asclepius, a buddleja, and a few other items. They arrived early June in absolutely great shape. Everything has done exceptionally well - and two of the plants were excavated twice by my dachshunds.....

They have all flowered (in less than 8 weeks!!) and both Monarch and Swallowtail have found them no problem. Huge variety of bees too - they just coat themselves in the pollen of that milkweed!!! They seem to appreciate the variety - something other than the abundant wild wild milkweed growing here.

I've been ordering plants on-line for many years. By far this was an exceptional experience:
I found the unusual plants I was looking for.
They arrived at a perfect time for me to plant them.
They arrived in very good condition - despite our very hot June...
They continue to thrive, with watering - because it has been unusually hot and dry here.

Highly recommend Annie's for unusual plants on-line, you won't be disappointed!
Zone 5, Ohio.
Positive DahliasForDays
Oakland, CA
August 5, 2020
Let's just say my wallet hates this store. A gardener's delight, it is a pleasure to stroll through the nursery and I never leave empty handed. They offer a wide variety of everything, including some hard to find plants. The curation is excellent, as they consistently offer some of the highest quality cultivars of the species. Staff is friendly. Prices are fair and better than most. Note the store usually has more options than the website. Overall, definitely a staple for me.
Negative Richmndgarden
Richmond, CA
August 3, 2020
WARNING POISONS SPRAYED. Annieís plants are not safe for insects in your garden. Of the two staff people I spoke with no one told me that their milkweed would not be safe for caterpillars. The 18 beautiful creatures in my yard that were in their last stages are shriveled and slowly dying after exposure to the plants overnight.

Company representative comment on August 17, 2020:
On Aug 17, 2020 11:32 AM, Annie\'s Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi Richmndgarden: I am so sorry to hear that your caterpillars died after immediately being introduced to Milkweed plants bought at our nursery. That's horrible and we don't ever want that to happen. To try and be transparent to customers, every Asclepias sign in our nursery does have the following warning, as does our website:

*Due to CA agricultural regulations, we're required to treat Asclepias plants with BT (a non-toxic, naturally occurring biological larvicide) to help combat the Light Brown Apple Moth (LBAM). Effects last only 1 week after application. If you are planning to introduce Monarch caterpillars to this plant, we recommend letting it establish for one season before doing so to ensure it is large enough to provide sufficient food.

Just for the record: we do not use systemic pesticides and we have worked to research and implement the least toxic, organic or naturally occurring alternative to manage pests and fungus. We do not use any Neonicotinoids associated with colony collapse disorder in honeybee populations. We report to and are inspected by our county agricultural department weekly and are in accordance with all of their rigorous guidelines.

I am sorry you did not see this information. If you would like a refund for your plants, please give us a call at 1.888.266.4370.

Positive DeeJans
San Ramon, CA
July 27, 2020
Such a beautiful nursery - I hope that everyone has an opportunity to visit in person - Unbelievable! I ordered some plants from Annie's and was concerned about the delivery - My delivery date was 07/23 - very hot in my zip code 94582. The plants arrived in perfect condition - very professionally packaged. Their shipping department is awesome! Their plant selection is out of this world. So tired of shopping at Home Depot/Lowe's and seeing the same thing week after week. I would recommend this nursery to anyone! The Best
Positive babsy55
Naperville, IL
July 20, 2020
I've ordered a number of plants from Annie's Annuals and Perennials, and they have always been packaged very well. Plants arrived in good condition. I'm a repeat customer.
Positive Lushylisa
Syracuse, NY
July 16, 2020
I ordered a gift card as a gift for a close friendís birthday. Both Ebony and Judy were both very helpful and friendly on the phone and over email. Thank you for your excellent customer service!
Positive Spring127
Marina, CA
July 15, 2020
I ordered six different plants from Annie's Annuals. I placed two orders in June 2020 and they arrived in great shape with cardboard shaped around the plants in a box marked "this side up" and "fragile". I have potted my plants in pots on my patio and they are all doing fantastically. I am very pleased with them! I will order from them again in the future.
Positive UKBrit
Somerset,
United States
July 14, 2020
Having ordered from numerous mail order nurseries this was my first time ordering from Annieís Annuals and I must say these are by far the best mail order plants I have ever seen and are proper fully grown rooted plants.

They were also the best packaged plants I have ever seen also which they should be considering the shipping price (my only gripe) but they did arrive from one side of the country to the other within 2 days- highly recommended and will certainly be a regular customer especially considering they have such a varied and unusual selection of plants.
Positive 1sPeedway
Mckinleyville, CA
July 14, 2020
Just received my order of 6 Narrow leaf Milkweed (Asclepias fascicularis) from Annie's and want to share my experience. From the very start they kept my informed about my order, they advised me of the delivery date which never changed. The packaging of the order is some of the best I have ever seen. You can really tell that they value not only their inventory but also make sure the customer is happy with the quality in which the plants arrive. As for the plants themselves they are beautiful and healthy. They are of good size with no wilted or dead leaves. They all have sprouting new growth which shows me they are healthy.
Positive JasperDale
Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a)
July 14, 2020
I've ordered from Annies maybe 6 times over the past two years.
Every time I did, the plants were very good sized and very healthy.
The packaging was excellent and every order was delivered the day I was told it would.
I've never been disappointed with any aspect of my orders.
Will continue to order in the future !
Positive ruthmac
Oakland, CA
June 29, 2020
I am so happy with a Hummingbird Sage/Canary Island Sage (Salvia canariensis var. candidissima) seedling from Annie's Annuals, planted July 2018. Two years later - and even after one year - it's huge. It's roughly 12' x 12'. It is perfect to anchor our steep Oakland hills slope. Foliage is silvery/white. The spikes of roses/purple blooms are spectacular. This shrub comes from the Canary Islands, which have a Mediterranean climate. One advantage of Annie's Annuals (besides high plant quality) is the informative plant tags, often containing growing tips. It was happy when I followed these directions. After the first year, I cut back this salvia to 2' in winter. The salvia liked the quite drastic pruning and right now, the shrub is huge.
Positive cat81
Roxboro, NC
June 26, 2020
I ordered six perennial plants from Annieís Annuals and Perennials. They were shipped as quoted and arrived on time, beautifully packed and in perfect condition after traveling almost 3000 miles. I will purchase from them again.
Positive balsamfir
Jay, NY (Zone 4a)
June 16, 2020
I received a catalog from this company, never heard of them, but they had an amazing selection. So checked Garden Watchdog, where they are well reviewed. And in the middle of COVID 19 spring, they shipped the most beautiful well packaged mail order plants! It was as if the plants didn't even know they were shipped. And when two were back ordered, they called to check if I still wanted them before charging and shipping them when they came in stock. I will be ordering lots again. Highly recommend the selection, quality, and packaging.
Positive meadlove
Worcester, VT
June 12, 2020
Amazing plants. I've visited the nursery when in Cali and regularly had plants shipped to home in Vermont. Great people, old-fashioned treatment and values. Thanks for the great service, Rosa!
Negative wannabe7
Columbia, MO (Zone 6a)
June 12, 2020
I enjoy the wide selection of unusual plants offered at reasonable prices [if you do not consider shipping costs].I placed an order for 8 plants about 3 years ago. four of them died in the first week. three more by the end of summer.one made it to the next spring, but died shortly thereafter. the problem was the frail root system of the plants. the plants themselves were a good size, but when I took them out of their pots I was quite surprised by the lack of a supportive root system. I vowed not order from this nursery again. the temptation got to me, and I thought maybe things may have improved. I ordered 4 plants. they were all dry on arrival. water helped 3 of them, 1 one of them never came back. it has been 1 week since the order arrived, and another has died. once again the root system on all the plants was very weak. I am not a master gardener, but I do try to follow best practices for soil, light and water for each particular plant. I placed orders with 4 other nurseries this spring, and pot size for these plants was comparable to the plants from Annie's, but the root system on all these other plants was very strong. I am really sorry that Annie's ships plants this way, as they have some unusual plants. I would be willing to pay more for the plants if they had a sturdier root system.
Company representative comment on June 16, 2020:
On Jun 16, 2020 4:10 PM, Annie\'s Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi wannabe7: Thanks for the feedback on your recent order. Our goal is to ship well-rooted and healthy plants, ready to go in the ground and thrive. If we fall short of that goal, we'd love the opportunity to make it right. It helps us to know which plants didn't arrive as expected, so we can improve quality control on our end. Under the situation you described above, it is 100% our policy to refund your plants - just give us a call and let us know they did not arrive in good condition. We'll be happy to work something out. 1.888.266.4370, 8 am - 4 pm PST or [email protected].

Positive jasmine13
Burlingame, CA
June 5, 2020
I've been ordering from Annie's Annals for quite a few years. My plants are typically very healthy and happy, and arrive well-packaged (in compostable boxes.) The new delivery agency Annie's has chosen makes the experience even better! I highly recommend Annie's Annuals.
Positive dracocephalum14
Anchorage, AK
June 4, 2020
Love Annies!! Plant selection is wonderful and interesting, Plant size& health excellent. And the packaging is perfect; I order a lot from vendors all over the USA, and without question they should all package as well as Annies does.Because I know the plants will come to me whole and happy, I can order more! Thank you Annies. Ayse gilbert
Positive Rberman
Greenwich, CT
June 2, 2020
This was my first time ordering from Annieís Annuals and I was was so pleased with how nicely everything was packaged. The plants arrived in excellent condition!
Positive Shindel
Menlo Park, CA
May 26, 2020
What an incredible Annie's Annuals did, packing and sending live plants through the mail. Each plant was tenderly wrapped and secured in a cardboard rack such that it looked like I had just lifted each one off the potting bench. None of them were even thirsty! Not a speck of dirt was out of place! I am so thrilled and delighted. I had to immediately write a note of thanks.
Positive MarzieK
Hampton, NH
May 24, 2020
I've been ordering from Annie's for several years now, both when I lived in Florida and now that I'm in New Hampshire. The plants arrive in consistently great condition due to excellent packing and are just gorgeous once established in the garden. They are always clean, healthy, no sign of pests, and have no wilt.
Positive Pinguicula
Sitka, AK (Zone 7a)
May 15, 2020
Wow, I was shocked when I opened the box. The plants looked like they'd just left the nursery- no sign of stress or shipping damage, no broken leaves, no soil out of place, nothing. They were perfect! And they didn't miss a beat after planting, they already have new leaves coming up.

I live in Alaska and I've been buying via plants mail order for almost 30 years. I've never had plants arrive looking THAT good. I'll definitely be back!
Positive wwhilty
Okatie, SC
May 13, 2020
I was amazed to get such healthy and well traveled plants from clear across the USA. Well packaged and ready to plant, they are now thriving in my garden. I will use Annie's again next Spring.

Callawassie Island, SC
Positive cstanford1973
Lebanon Junction, KY
May 7, 2020
Hello! I purchased flowers 2 years ago from you. They were just tiny 4" plants. Fast forward to today, 2 years later. We have full and vibrant flowers. I will continuously recommend and support the high quality flowers one purchases from you.
I have included a couple of photos to show how well my flowers are doing today.
I've included the pots of Emerald Carpet I received today to show perspective.
You have my permission to use these photos and my email.
Positive oakenbellgarden
Goldendale, WA
May 6, 2020
I placed an order and could see it was sent out, but it didn't get to me. I contacted Annie's and they said they would replace the order with no cost to me. Three weeks after I placed my first order, I got both boxes on the same day! Due to the great way they were packed, 3 of the 6 plants in the box mailed three weeks before were still looking pretty good, and are doing well in my garden. I was just amazed, and have to thank Annie's for the fantastic job that they do. Wonderful customer service!
Positive greenday
Lake Oswego, OR
May 1, 2020
Plants arrived in flawless condition. Even delicate little ferny fronds are in impeccable shape. Exterior of box has bold, colorful text/illustrations showing that it contains live plants & making it goofproof to tell which side goes up. Interior packaging has effective structure/dividers to separate, protect, and hold plants upright. Plant foliage is uncovered within these compartments so not only can they breathe and remain unsmushed, but the minute I opened the box I could see which plant was which. All of this protection without any plastic, or annoying peanuts. Exciting to receive my order of little treasures in such good shape!
Positive PULIKS3
Santa Maria, CA
April 27, 2020
I received the shipment on the promised date; all 8 plants were large, healthy specimens; packaging is expertly constructed to hold plants from being damaged during shipping - I am a very satisfied 1st time customer.
Negative ednavalley
San Luis Obispo, CA
April 10, 2020
Ridiculously hard to log in. I know what my previous account login details were, but you said they werenít right.
I tried the two different passwords sent and 1 worked, 1 didn't. Now I have to figure out how to change to something more memorable.