The scoop on 'Singing Tree Gardens'

Singing Tree Gardens

McKinleyville, California 95519 (United States)

Visit Singing Tree Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 27, 2006:
We are a retail mailorder nursery on the northern California coast specializing in Rhododendrons, Azaleas, Dwarf Conifers, Heaths and Heathers, Ornamental Grasses, Hydrangeas, Hebes, deciduous trees, Pieris and other interesting and unusual plants.

Comments:

Negative weimersuzanne
Mertztown, PA
April 6, 2021
I recently purchased several plants from this nursery. I emailed Sarah about what shipping method she would reccomend she advised due to the temperature and time of year UPS ground would be fine . I thought due to me being in Pennsylvania that I should use expedited shipping but I sadly listened to the advice of Sarah. One of the plants ended up with dried brown foliage and doesn't look good at all and they all had some damage. I sent three emails over two weeks without any response as to how she would reccomend handling the plants once I received them. Although two of them are hardy to my area they are coming from a much warmer climate then March in Pennsylvania . I've ordered from many companies and have never had such a complete lack of customer service. The plants weren't what I expected smaller than I expected, not in the greatest shape and absolutely no customer service I'll take my business elsewhere .
Neutral ms1954
katonah, ny,
United States
March 28, 2021
I don't want to go "negative"; I was, however, disappointed. I ordered a couple of rhododendrons, azaleas, and a few heathers. All were much smaller than I expected. The heathers, especially, looked like they had just been transplanted from a 3 inch pot to the "one gallon" size, and based on my experience with other vendors, were a great deal too expensive for their size. The same is true of some of the azaleas. The rhodie seems to be well rooted; nevertheless, when I removed the plastic packing, most of the dirt fell away, again suggesting recent transplanting.
Everything seems to be healthy, and their selections is really great. Still, I expect to buy more cautiously in the future.
Negative ASchudy
Cumming, GA
November 9, 2020
I've ordered from Singing Tree Gardens for about four years. During this time, I have been reasonably happy with the quality of the plants I've received. Not everything has made it, but I spend thousands a year on mail order plants so I understand the risk. I am selective about what vendors are worthy of my hard earned money.

I've spent about $500 here in the most recent two months and for the first time last week I complained about a $100 conifer with girdled roots, so bad, root pruning wasn't a viable option.

Whomever prepared my shipment was up close and personal with this plant because of the way it was packed. Why would you ship a plant in this condition other than to want to "unload" it via mail order. No self-respecting gardener would buy this plant in person.

Gardener's know trying to save a plant in this condition is an effort in futility. BUY POT BOUND PLANTS, SAID NO ONE EVER!

I took pictures of the plant and sent them via email to Sarah. Her prompt response, "Do not root prune it. Just amend your soil according to the planting instructions and settle it into the ground. In the spring when it bursts to life the roots will grow wildly in all directions and the plant will be thrilled. It will not hinder growth at all but do not root prune"... Really, you're kidding me... How about taking some responsibility for sending me a doomed plant.

We went back & forth and I even considered sending it back to them (at my expense ). I decided that it wasn't worth my time and effort.

I have a 2-acre garden, over 250 species of conifers and over 5K varieties of everything else. My success isn't dumb luck so Sarah's misinformed planting advice didn't resonate with me as this isn't my first rodeo with a plant in this condition. I understand it is likely to thrive above ground for two to three years, meanwhile underground it is strangling itself.

I am a member of the American Conifer Society. Coincidently, we had a Zoom conference the evening of my correspondence with Sarah. My experience was discussed amongst my colleagues.
Word of mouth is still a thing.

To conclude, I've had a successful business for 13 years. Assuredly there are missteps. Being a responsible, customer focused business is about how you recover when things don't go well. I will echo what another reviewer said, "buyer beware" when considering doing business with Singing Tree Garden.

On Nov 13, 2020 3:47 PM, Singing Tree Gardens responded with:

Ms. Schudy was sent a Pinus sylvestris Bonna that was 3.5ft tall and a beautiful sparkling blue. It was certainly well rooted with lots of wonderful mychorrhizia and lots of soil visible between the roots and on the bottom of the pot. I know this because I grew the plant and chose the plant for shipping and tipped it out of its pot to wrap for shipping. I saw this again when she sent me photos of the plant. I inspected the rest of the crop and found none of them were in danger of girdling or in poor health of any kind. This is a bad review because she ordered a plant - voluntarily - and received a large specimen true to name and very healthy and she BELIEVES IT IS POSSIBLE that it will begin to die in 3 or 4 years....... Well, that doesn't seem quite fair.
It is our policy that if you order and are shipped a healthy plant and decide to return it because of a personal preference, you will be charged for shipping. We think it is a fair policy.

Negative Legoli
Saint Louis, MO
October 12, 2020
I ordered 4 items from Singing Tree. I opened them immediately, and handled them exactly as instructed (despite the curveball the company throws - have bark mulch on hand!! The plants are grown in bark mulch and so you need to amend the soil in your hole.)

Despite perfect care, two of the four plants I bought died within two weeks. Since they have no returns except before planting, I was out of luck.

At the end of season, the remaining two have limped along. Given that all the other plants I planted this year have done well if not thrived, and their draconian return policy, I am sad to say I will not be buying from them again, despite their enticing offerings.
On Nov 13, 2020 4:58 PM, Singing Tree Gardens responded with:

If you receive a plant that is damaged in any way, please take a photograph and email it right away. It will make any sort of return much easier for everybody. Please read the rules for damage and returns on the website. We do make that available to everybody before you purchase anything. We do not hide it and we do not want you to be surprised by it.

We do recommend that planting areas are amended with some kind of soil conditioner. These are almost always made of composted bark materials. It is not an uncommon practice in the garden to amend the soil in a new planting area. It is not likely that a plant received 'perfect care' if there was not a properly prepared planting area ready.

We have several articles on planting posted on our website and we send very detailed instructions along with the plant. We are also available by phone or email to advise you along the way. We do want you to be successful in the garden and we want to come along on that journey. Please let us know if you need help along the way. Our policies on refunds and returns are clearly posted and we do not refund or replace plants that are accepted, planted and cared for by you and die in your care. We welcome any and all feedback because it helps us evolve and become better at what we do. But please don't contact me after months have passed and your plant has already died. I cannot help you at that point unless you would like to talk about how to prevent future loss.

Negative egadsky
Kirkland, WA
July 30, 2020
I ordered two rhododendrons and two conifers, and chose 3-day shipping. The plants shipped out on a Friday, which meant they sat in a UPS truck or warehouse in 90+ degree weather over the weekend. By the time they arrived 6 days later, the rhodies were practically dead. I emailed a photo to Singing Tree and got no response. A week or so later, I emailed them again. Still no response. Those two plants cost $50 and they didn't bounce back. I won't be shopping at this nursery again.
Company representative comment on November 16, 2020:
On Nov 16, 2020 12:33 PM, Singing Tree Gardens responded with:

I was able to find your order. You chose ground shipping for your order so that is why it did not reach you in 3 days. You did not choose 3 day shipping for this order. I see your package was delivered on the 5th day of transit which is not an excellent turn around for UPS but it is not unusual for a ground shipment over this past year. UPS had much longer delivery estimates due to the high volume of deliveries during the COVID19 pandemic. We did announce this in several different places on our website but we are terribly sorry you were caught in the high volume shipping chaos of this past year.
I am sorry if your package was among those delayed and you had trouble getting through to somebody to discuss your concerns.

We announce any significant delays in an article titled SHIPPING GUIDELINES under the INFO tab on our website. We also use the banner at the top of the website to announce relevant shipping information. We also send an automatic response email to each order that details current shipping expectations. It is helpful to read all of the shipping information before placing an order for mail order delivery.

Negative Jonavansmith
Chicago, IL
July 2, 2020
I placed an order in april as a special birthday surprise for someone special.after receiving my plant i noticed that a piece of the graft or brace was cracked in two.it looked like it was some kind of grafting mistake or something that they shipped anyway.i emailed shorty after as the site states if there any problems with your plant to do so and something will be done.i didnt complain about the plant just asked what method should i take to fix it I never heard back from them.now im out of 66 bucks and a disappointing bday surprise.
Neutral chriscyy
Mercer Island, WA
May 24, 2020
Posted on May 23, 2020, updated May 24, 2020
I bought $250 worth of plants. The packaging was aweful. Root ball loosely wrapped in plastic bags and most of the root ball were damaged. They just simply threw the plants into a big box and with a few Styrofoam chips. The plants were able to move against each other during shipping and many of the so call 3 years plants with branches all broken up and snapped.
Their advertising is misleading. "2 years old" hydrangea is less than 2 inches in height and diameter for the root balls. "2 gallons" azelea was less than 2 inches tall.
I have shopped with other online nursery and they are more reliable for their packaging and size of plant they promised. Singing tree is a rip off.
On May 24th, 2020, chriscyy changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

The nursery makes some reasonable adjustment after I raised my concern. They do carry lots of unusual Rhode and azleas.
On Nov 13, 2020 4:22 PM, Singing Tree Gardens responded with:

I was really surprised to find this review after all the communicating with the customer and offering to take all the plants back and issue a full refund; an offer he refused because he wanted the plants.

Below is our response to Christopher's disappointment:

Oh David, I'm sorry your packaging was not great. We work with a local paper shredding company and have for 20 years. We use their paper to send all of our plants and it works beautifully. In the lock down, the company was forced to shut down. Many are out of work, the company did not survive and the least consequence was that we had to scramble a bit for new packaging materials. We temporarily went to packaging peanuts without realizing that many packaging peanuts are no longer styrofoam. They are an eco friendly version of styrofoam and it is water soluble. We realized it rather quickly and have been doing a bit of damage control. Apparently the moisture in the box begins to dissolve the peanuts and they shrink and harden. There is no need to contact your credit card company for a refund, just send the plants back and we will issue you a full refund. Let me know your box dimensions and when it is ready and I will send UPS with a shipping label to take the box. How disappointing. I'm sorry. I imagine that Tuesday is the soonest the package will be ready as we have a holiday weekend. I will arrange for the box to be picked up after hearing from you Tuesday. Again, I am sorry for your disappointment.
Be well,
Sarah

And his answer:

Dear Sarah,
Thank you for the prompt response...
I am a plant fanatic and hope you are too.
Both you and I know the plants will probably not survive another shipping. The material your nursery used was not adequate to protect shipping not to mention another one. The shipping peanuts did not appear to shrink and it just that the plants were not secured properly.
My major concern is mostly regarding the expectation of my purchase is significantly different from what your website advertised!

Enclosed are the picture to help you concretely understand my concern about the size of plant your website advertised. If I get a plant about 4x 4 inches, it is not a 1 gallon plant, nor they are 2 to 3 years old plants. The 2 x luteum blue gold and preziosa i received, they are the most quart size plant. The Forsterianum which supposed to be a 3 gallons plant and because of improper packaging, lots of branches were snapped off and now looks like skeleton. Enclosed is a 3 gallons plant I purchased from your online competitor and it was 40 inches tall...
I am proposing a discount to honor your nursery description about size and packaging of $50 refunded to my credit card. It costs you lots to ship the plant again and I hope you will be concerned about the reputation of your nursery regarding the description on your website about plant age and size. I will not like to take my concern online publicly.
I think this is a win win situation to both parties.

The hydrangeas we prune back every year. If you order a hydrangea and it has not fully leafed out for the season, it will be a few inches tall. When this Preziosa hydrangea grew in for the season it was much taller and much wider. This is the normal cycle of the hydrangea. It is fair to say that you can expect hydrangeas to be short and unimpressive after they are pruned for the season. The hydragea he photographed and emailed to me had begun to push new growth and was just under a foot tall and six inches wide.
The customer also sent a photo of the azaleas after they were planted. He put a tape measure in the photo and they are six inches across.
We do try to address all of the customers' concerns for every order. Unfortunately, problems occasionally arise and we work together with the customer to solve them. Different crops of plants will vary in size and I am usually happy to send a picture with measurements before purchase.

Negative nelson58
Queens Village, NY
February 28, 2018
Amazed at positive reviews for this place.

I ordered 2 rhodies. They arrived, were planted, mulched, and died in 2 months. I asked for replacements. Sent 3 emails until I got a response. The response is below. They DO NOT guarantee anything. Instead, I get this snarky, sarcastic response, and an offer to buy again at the regular price after their plants died.

Do you consider this a positive experience? I don't! She doesn't back up her stuff, and rags on those who do.

From: Sarah Flower [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 3:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Lost Plants

Hi Nelson - We do not offer a replacement for lost plants. I understand that many large corporate box stores will replace just about anything, but we are a much smaller company and unfortunate losses are a part of gardening. You can re-order if you would like to try again and I would be happy to help you do that. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Best,
Sarah

Sarah Flower
Sales Manager
Singing Tree Gardens
Positive BlackDogKurt
Seymour, CT
October 18, 2016
I recently placed multiple orders for some heathers, heaths, and shrubs from Singing Tree Gardens. They had some selections that I could not find elsewhere and their prices were good.

Everything so far has arrived in fine condition and are doing well. I would definitely recommend them!
Positive davidrt28
Columbia, MD (Zone 7a)
June 29, 2016
Great nursery. In my experience, they only ship flawless, well grown specimens. The quality of their packing is second to none. Also they are very polite and "attitude free" when I've spoken to them on the phone, which hasn't always been my experience with some mail order nurseries on the west coast.
Positive marcia2peterson
May 22, 2016
Plants looked excellent on arrival
Positive susankays
Durham, OR
February 24, 2016
I recently moved to a smaller place and have been looking for dwarf conifers to plant in my small yard. I ordered four from Singing Tree Gardens and they arrived in beautiful shape. I was accidentally sent a wrong plant with a very similar name to the one I had ordered. They immediately sent out the correct plant and allowed me to keep the other one as a gift.
Their prices are quite similar to those at local garden centers, but their selection of dwarf conifers is much larger. I will order from them again.
Positive ingeborgdot
Scott City, KS
February 17, 2016
I have had great success with dwarf conifers from Singing Tree Gardens. The plants have come healthy and a great root system. The plants have been a good size for the price. I have another order coming shortly and will update my experience with them after that.
Positive Elwhy
Ben Lomond, CA
January 6, 2016
I have been looking for a certain deciduous azalea (for the longest time, unable to find locally) and found it on their website, although it was the wrong time of year and they were all out. Put my name on a notification list and promptly forgot about it. Lo and behold, received an email saying my plants were in stock. Ordering was easy, delivery was prompt and plants arrived looking terrific!
Positive vannicopv
Blackhawk-Camino Tassajara, CA
May 3, 2015
I ordered 4 Anna Kruschka Rhododendron plants that arrived on the date specified and are in beautiful bloom; the plants are healthy and ready for planting. I will order again from Singing Tree Gardens. I also really appreciate the tips on their website and recommendations by season/plant for planting and fertilizing.
Positive TutuMo
Ridgefield, WA
February 22, 2014
I was so impressed with the plants when they arrived. Not a drop of dirt was lost, no breakage of stems or tender leaves, just an amazing packing job. And SO fast! Thank you Singing Tree. It's a good thing I have a small yard or I'd have to have "one of everything!"
Positive TammyT
Sunnyvale, CA
September 26, 2013
The website has a fun tone (as it should!) and is generally easy to use. I took a chance after following Singing Tree for months and placed an order for 7 plants, so a pretty large first order, over 200 dollars.

We received our order within 3 business days -- nice surprise.

Packaged quite well and all beautiful, happy, healthy gorgeous little dwarf conifers with beautiful colors and the expected sizes and shapes!

We are very pleased as this was our first purchase with any online grower; I usually frequent all the local nurseries and have been wary of purchasing plants unseen.

We will definitely be ordering more plants from Singing Tree again. My hubby loves our new babies as much as me...they will be delightful additions to our established little woodland garden.

My only disappointment is that there are so many plants I want to purchase from Singing Tree and then I see: Sold Out!

So now I am on their email notifications for over a dozen plants! But that's mostly OK, adding new, unusual plants over time is a part of the fun.
Positive sandyburns
Vashon, WA
May 10, 2013
Singing Tree Gardens is by far the best experience I have ever had with mail ordering plants. I ordered a Rhody, a dwarf conifer and a Heather. They arrived in excellent condition and are just beautiful. Thank you Don!
Positive BvrCtyGardener
Monaca, PA
October 4, 2012
Posted on May 17, 2012, updated October 4, 2012
Posted on November 18, 2010, updated May 17, 2012
Ordered 1gal Japanese Black Pine - Banshosho 9-18-10. It arrived 9-29-10 in excellent shape! The tree is of good structure, healthy and was well-wrapped for safe shipping. Tho planted late, it is thriving and with good care, will be a showpiece specimen in my new Asian-themed garden. Of several plants I've ordered online only two - a Japanese Maple "Autumn Moon" from Davidsan's Japanese Maples, and "Banshosho" Black Pine from Singing Tree Gardens have arrived in favorable size, shape and condition that far exceeded my expectations. I signed up for Singing Tree's Newsletter and plan to watch their catalogue for future purchases.
On May 17th, 2012, BvrCtyGardener added the following:

Update:
Banshoho has put in another 10inches of new growth this spring. Extremely healthy, hardy tree! With some expert help, I hope to give it some traditional shaping.

I also purchase Low Glo on sale last fall and received the most beautifully shaped bush. It has grown almost 4 inches this spring, and is practically shaping itself!

And Singing Tree remembered my long-standing order for Vibrant. As soon as I got their email, I had this little gem on its way. Looked a bit small when I put it in this spring, but WOW did it take off! At least three inches of new growth.

If I find room for more Asian-style miniatures, I'll be back online searching again. Singing Tree has never let me down. Their dwarf conifers are absolute high-end!
On October 4th, 2012, BvrCtyGardener added the following:

Sold Out. Don't you hate that? I have to admit I sometimes procrastinate too much. So when I saw Chamaecyparis "Bridget" go on sale at Singing Tree on the hottest PA July 2nd, I rushed my order in and prayed they would hold shipping until cooler weather.

Don Wallace was super at helping me coordinate delivery for just the perfect time. I now have a wonderfully formed little Bridget happily complementing a dense dwarf Hinoki Cypress.

I needed dwarf plants for my limited rock garden space and I know I can count on Singing Tree Gardens plants to be robust and hardy, and retain their diminutive size.

As for SOLD OUT ... truly top-of-the-line specialty plants ARE rare.

Thanks, Don!

Positive LFisher
Fairfield, CA
October 4, 2012
Lot of unusual dwarf conifers. Order for plants was filled quickly and all plants were well packed and were in good condition when they arrived. Looking forward to seeing them grow.
Positive Patricia_CR
Grecia, Alajuela,
Costa Rica
April 22, 2012
This company is great in every way: kind and prompt customer service; healthy, gorgeous and true to it's size plants; careful packaging that arrives right on time. A happy gardener couldn't ask for more.
Positive Clove
Union City, NJ
February 23, 2012
I am an avid plant hobbyist who has been mail-ordering plants for thirty years. So I was exceptionally satisfied placing and receiving two recent orders from Singing Tree Gardens and their website singtree.com . I'm impressed by their listing of rare and hard-to-find tender Maddenia rhododendrons and their hybrids, especially since these rhododendrons are hard to find in my area, eastern coast of the US. I was left breathless when I unpacked the plants and beheld their size, health, beauty, and elegance. At Singing Tree Gardens, I received excellent personable and friendly customer service. All of the plants that I ordered have full healthy growth, strong roots, and were meticulously packaged to arrive in perfect condition. I highly recommend Singing Tree Gradens to beginning and highly experienced gardeners alike. And to those hard-to-impress seasoned gardeners, I must say that Singing Tree Gardens is truly a new adventure in gardening.
Positive restom
Reston, VA
September 19, 2011
I ordered 2 Rhododendron ‘Polar Bear’ and received both in great condition. The huge plants have been in the ground a few months now and are doing fine. Excellent communication, too!
Positive rhodiedave
Johnstown, PA
November 3, 2010
Posted on April 8, 2010, updated November 3, 2010
Posted on March 28, 2010, updated April 8, 2010
Posted on March 4, 2010, updated March 28, 2010
I have been looking for the Black Widow Rhododendron for awhile now and finally found it here at Singtree. Had great communication from Don and recieved the rhododendron in a timely manner and was beautiful, Nicely budded, packed very well, All good, looking forward in getting other rhododendrons from him in the future. Thanks Don.
On March 28th, 2010, rhodiedave added the following:

RECEIVED A SECOND ORDER FROM DON, AND AGAIN WELL PLEASED, THANKS MUCH, I'LL BE BACK FOR MORE.
On April 8th, 2010, rhodiedave added the following:

third order, and got what i expected, great communication, great service, super great plants, great shipment, and again, thanks so much, i'll be back for more.
On November 3rd, 2010, rhodiedave added the following:

I'm one happy camper, again, a great order from Don, thanks much, also would like to metion, few months ago i asked don if i could get cuttings from one of his rhododendrons and he promised me to send some, and he did, i received the cuttings, he's a man of his word, thanks much
Positive GreenandGrowing7
Marcola, OR
April 11, 2010
I was able to buy a variety of deciduous azalea I could not find locally or at any other online nursery. The two rhododendrons and azalea I purchased arrived in great condition and were large and healthy plants. I highly recommend Singing Tree Gardens and will definitely purchase plants again from them in the future.
Positive swiftness
Portales, NM
December 28, 2009
The plants were lovely (larger than usual), the prices were reasonable, the shipping was prompt, and the service was courteous. I'll be back!
Positive LLewis28
Portland, OR
November 6, 2009
Very helpful and communicated every step of the way. Plants arrived healthy and just as described. A pleasure to do business with.
Positive plantingBrian
Leesburg, AL
October 22, 2009
From the start, I believe I spoke to the owner or at least someone with the passion for plants that I have.. happy with the selection and knowledge of this company. Got my order today and I'm very HAPPY! plants are in great shape and cant wait for spring. (settled them in with alittle hormex and plant succcess microriz..) Thank's Don, hope to order many more when they come back in stock (macabeanum cecil smith) HAPPY that I found you guys!
Positive Cornucopia
New Haven, CT (Zone 6a)
October 8, 2009
I ordered a variety of evergreen azaleas. I had a concern about double billing due to my own credit card typo and Don followed up immediately to research and address the matter, leaving me assured that everything would process properly and without confusion. It did. I was impressed with the highly responsive and personal customer service. My azaleas came in a timely manner, in great shape, and a good size.They are a lovely addition to my front yard and I know i will appreciate their evergreen quality once the weather turns and all the deciduous plants turn down. I can hardly wait until next spring to see them bloom. Nice selection of hard to find plants at a fair price. Will definitely order from them again.
Positive johnschwitters
San Pedro, CA
October 5, 2009
I purchased (6) Rhodondendrons using two orders, as a new customer. Both shipments arrived right on schedule and all plants were in perfect condition. I live in an area that Rhodondendrons don't particularly like. Don took his time and explained in great detail to me, how I could possibly overcome those short comings. It's a pleasure doing business with folks that provide help and support to their customers
Positive Isis21
Germantown, MD
July 10, 2009
I would highly recommend them to anyone
• All the plants looked great, were well-packed, healthy
• A wonderful selection!
• Great communication!
Very responsible, reliable people!!!
Positive gfm
Melrose, MA
June 18, 2009
I ordered two deciduous Azaleas from Singing Tree. Communication from the company was excellent as to when they would ship and when the bushes would arrive. I had some worries as we're starting to get into summer now and they would be in transit for over a week (my fault of course for ordering so late in the Spring). They arrived promptly and were well wrapped. Although a little parched from the long trip, I got them in the ground immediately and the leaves perked up within a few hours, so crisis avoided. I would not hesitate to order from Singing Tree again, especially considering the same bushes sourced locally would have cost me about twice as much.
Positive njjpl
Pequannock, NJ
April 17, 2009
This company should be in the Watchdog Top 30! The plants I received we HUGE , the communication between the company and myself was excellent, and the shrubs were packed perfectly---arriving cross-country in perfect shape. This is a company that I will order from again and again!!! Try them, you won't be disappointed at all!!!
Positive Cynthia688
Sunnyvale, CA
February 25, 2009
After a unproductive search for rhododendrons and azaleas at local nurseries, I searched online and found the Singing Tree Gardens nursery. They have a huge selection, searchable by color, name, variety, etc. with a lot of helpful information besides.

I was able to find exactly what I wanted, and since they were relatively close (200 miles away), I had the plants I wanted on my doorstep in two days. All the plants looked great, were well-packed, healthy, and ready to be planted. I will definitely be back for more as I slowly re-landscape the yard! I would highly recommend them to anyone.
Positive Matt_D
Sacramento, CA
December 8, 2008
I ordered a Pinus contorta "Chief Joseph". It arrived in great shape. It shipped quickly and they emailed me when it was shipped. I have been to their retail location near Arcata, CA and they have a great garden in a beautiful setting. Very positive experience -- I will order by mail in the future again.
Positive mtnqueen
Ellijay, GA
November 23, 2008
I too have been bitten by the conifer bug. Singing Tree has a year-end sale and I ordered a Pinus thunbergii "Thunderhead". Wonderful specimen received that is now very happy here in zone 7B. I will order again. Who could resist??
Positive LyndaT
Richland, WA
November 23, 2008
I have always believed that we should purchase the more "everyday" garden plants from out local independent merchants. But then there are those more unusual and hard to find plants. For those of us who love the rare and unusual...we mail order. Most of us have been burned by it too. I have received some pretty pitiful stuff and I am sure you have too.

Every now and then we come across a forward thinking entrepreneur that is in the business because he is a plantsman at heart and he takes pride in it. Like us. Its why we are here. I had the pleasure of finding Singing Tree Gardens and I ordered a Pinus parviflora 'Miyajima'. Its my 11th variety of pine and it is wonderful...everything I was hoping for. Some of their merchandise was sold out for the season (it is November after all), but they offer to email you when the plants you want are back in stock. I'll look forward to the emails, and ordering many more dwarf conifers in the future. Thanks Don.

My yard is a certified wildlife habitat (if you haven't considered this, please do - http://www.nwf.org). I share my sanctuary with the wild birds and animals that happen by. Its only made it better!
Positive fortbragg
Fort Bragg, CA
September 25, 2008
worked with don. the order was fulfilled quickly and we received the shipment within 3 days of the order. a subsequent email/question we sent to singing tree was answered within an hour. finally, the plants we ordered were both unavailable at most sites we searched, so we were particularly pleased to find them available at singing tree.
Positive steve101
Hazard, NE
September 16, 2008
Great communication was provided in the shipment process and the size and quality of my Compressa Junipers exceeded my expectations. Will do business with again.
Positive pipercat
Johnstown, PA
August 24, 2008
After ordering several dwarf conifers I received excellent communication via several emails about my order and the shipment.
I was concerned about shipping from CA to PA over the 7/4 holiday.
Another email reassured me that the plants would not suffer.
They arrived in perfect condition and were larger than expected. The plants are doing well and I am very pleased. I highly recommend this company.