The scoop on 'American Seed Company'

American Seed Company

6051 Carlton Avenue
Spring Grove, Pennsylvania 17362 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-214-3340

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Positive Analogue
Phoenix, AZ
January 12, 2021
THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT COMPANIES with similar names: "American Seed" and "American Seed Co."! The "American Seed" is actually same as "Ferry-Morse" seed, and McKenzie seed in Canada. "American Seed Co." is just that- not part of a larger name. From "American Seed Co." website, link provided [[email protected]] "ATTENTION PLEASE NOTE:
We DO NOT produce SEED PACKETS that are sold at WalMart, Walgreens, Dollar Stores etc…with the name “AMERICAN SEED” on them and WE ARE NOT affiliated in any way with “Plantation Products” in Norton, MA. Please direct all complaints about paper seed packets to the place of purchase or call Plantation Products at 508-285-5800 or click here. (url given) http://www.plantationproducts.com/pages/cfContact.cfm I am convinced customers may be leaving positive or negative comments to the wrong victim (or victor) unaware there are TWO SEPARATE companies. Personally, I have had excellent results from the el-cheapo American Seed (purchased at Walmart) For a seed packet priced at ten cents (!) The "Wildflowers" mix- from it germinated Baby's Breath, Coneflower, Moroccan Toadflax (Lineraria) Nigella and Queen's Lace, and more in fact. I have a Flickr page with photos of these wonderful plants [[email protected]m] Note that I am in NO wise affiliated with ANY seed or plant company, nor own shares or stock, nor am I rewarded or paid for posting any review- in fact costs me valuable time to post. Thank you- and again, my experience is with "American Seed"- the type sold at bargain shops, and NOT "American Seed Co." note the difference- one has "Co." at the end, one does not. I have had excellent results with American SEED (not "Co."). The seed packets are very low-priced, yet only contain a small amount of seed (do you really need 300-500 plant seeds anyway?) I purchased about three seed packets, and broadcast them haphazardly on a empty weeded portion in extremely poor, arid-sandy soil which I augmented with manure and other soil amendments, watered almost daily. I was pleasantly surprised to be rewarded with any plants at all, and species I have never seen before, let alone grown (Moroccan Toadflax Ive never seen in US) Nigella flourished in a wet, cold north corner. So- to sum it up, the American Seed (and NOT American Seed Co." is what I am reviewing- and it is sold at discount shops like Family Dollar, Wal-mart (where I purchased mine, I heard Wal-mart no longer sells seed??) and with this very low-priced seed I had remarkable results.
Positive ladytech52
Brazoria, TX (Zone 9b)
January 29, 2016
I've ordered several times, seeds and seed potatoes. Everything was of very good quality and grew great for me. I did call them once and they were very professional and helpful, my problem was handled quickly (it was me!). I've even checked their prices and they are consistently lower than most other mail order suppliers. I would like more disease resistance information on their products but otherwise they are great.
Negative bawilliams
Los Angeles, CA
April 22, 2010
Seeds did not germinate! Any positive comments about this company must have been written by the owners or their employees. They make it very hard for you to contact them. Save your money!
Neutral siichan
Leola, PA (Zone 6a)
March 17, 2010
As far as I understand, this company is not the one who provides the cheap seed packet to the dollar store. It says on the website: "WE DO NOT PRODUCE SEED PACKETS UNDER THE NAME "AMERICAN SEED" and are not affiliated in any way with "Plantation Products" in Norton, MA." Just to clear up some confusion :)
Positive voyagergreg
Lakeside Marblehead, OH
March 16, 2010
Bought some asst. flower seeds from General Dollar store that sold American Seeds & was surprised how everything bloomed so well & the seeds were very cheap in price!
Positive JenKev
North East, MD
March 29, 2009
I have to say that I have had great germination results from American Seed this year. I have bought a ton of seeds from many companies and online websites (Burpee, Park uggh, Walmart, Ebay), never did I think I would have some of the best germinations come from my dollar store 10 for $1 Amercan Seed packets.
Positive BobbyWoing
Gibsonia, PA
May 18, 2007
I just hope to clear up any confusion. Plantation Products is also listed on the Garden Watchdog, and both are fine but very different companies.
Positive quickbeam19
Easley, SC
February 20, 2007
I bought seeds from this company last year and they were great. I had no trouble germinating them and transplanting them, and the vegetables were great. I bought flower seeds this year and I can't wait to try them out. I highly recommend this company