The scoop on 'Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd.'

Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd.

Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. has 582 products listed in PlantScout.

141 North Street
Danielson, Connecticut 06239-1939 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-330-8038
Fax: 1-888-774-9932

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $4.95 (refundable w/order)

Visit Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive KrisMarie
Brooklyn, NY
February 19, 2021
I have placed four orders through Logees, totaling over $450, and have had great luck with their plants. They are packaged very thoughtfully and shipped timely. I really like their selection of rare and fruiting plats, some of the plants I have received include: Eucalyptus, Pineapple Guava, Variegated Pink Eureka Lemon, Vanilla Vine, and Black Cotton. Their plants are not the cheapest, but they are a quality product.
Neutral elfeik
Near Kansas City, MO (Zone 6a)
August 18, 2020
Our experience with Logee's has been very spotty. About 3-4 years ago we got a Clematis which has done great. Since then bought a Night Blooming Cereus which was a complete flop. (Bought one locally for half of what I paid them which is doing great). This summer I bought a couple of Abutilons which are growing well, and a Fig which looked good at first, but now has problems. I I wrote to them about it but haven't received a reply, not even an acknowledgement they received my message.
Company representative comment on August 19, 2020:
On Aug 19, 2020 12:40 PM, Logee\'s Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Hello,
We are sorry to hear that you haven't received a response to your inquiry. We try to respond to all inquiries within 24 hours. Please contact us by phone at 860-774-8038 between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm eastern time, Monday through Friday, so that we may check into this for you and try to help resolve what may be happening with your fig.

Positive BrentonSims
Jacksonville, FL
June 18, 2020
They have a good selection of starter plants!
Positive Anjsand
Lisbon, NY
June 8, 2020
I ordered from Logee’s earlier this year, they mailed my plant at the time I asked them to. Due to no fault on Logee’s side the USPS fumbled and ended up forwarding my plant to the wrong address. I called up Logee’s when I didn’t received my order on the expected day and even with the busy covid-19 rush they still took time to figure out what went wrong and called me back to explain it to me. They didn’t have a replacement plant so they refunded me. They have amazing customer service, I plan to order from them again when the plant is back in stock.
Positive Hawkster61
Rowley, MA
May 14, 2020
Purchased mandarin orange and coffee tree from logee that arrived today. Plants are in excellent condition, packing was very good. Great experience and will buy from them again. Plants were in better shape than 90 % of the plants I have received from other nurseries
Positive futso
Philadelphia, PA
January 5, 2020
Posted on December 30, 2019, updated January 5, 2020
I have such mixed feelings about this company. Needless to say I won't be ordering from them again.

Positives are a wide variety of house plant selections, all arriving seemingly healthy with good packing and shipping. This makes their rather high prices seem worth while.

My first negative was the somewhat condescending customer service which other folks here have also reported. After purchasing over two dozen plants in the past year I emailed them to see if I could get a credit as three plants were dying. The response was rather accusatory and unpleasant. Then a rep responded with an apology of sorts and an offer to credit me. I told the rep not to bother as I would not be purchasing from Logee's again.

Since then I have lost another plant. Quite disappointing.

On January 5th, 2020, futso changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Although the response from Tina indicates they could not identify me, someone at Logee's did find my account and previous emails. I learned that they have issued a credit for the plants and I am generally satisfied the this matter has been resolved, especially after I told them I didn't need the refund.

As I stated in my initial review, I still have mixed feelings about this firm but I' m changing my rating from negative to positive as they handled this review far more professionally than my email to the company.
Company representative comment on January 7, 2020:
On Dec 30, 2019 12:32 PM, Logee\\\'s Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Good morning,
We are sorry to hear about your recent experience with our customer service. We try to make every customer experience an enjoyable one and it seems like we may have fallen short here. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate your account by just the name listed here, but I would love to check into this for you and try to determine what may have gone wrong. Please reach out to me at [email protected] and I would love to look into this for you.

Tina with Logee\'s Customer Service

On Jan 7, 2020 10:38 AM, Logee\'s Greenhouses, Ltd. added:

Good morning,
Thank you so much for the positive review. I apologize that in recent correspondence that I said that I wasn't able to locate your account but I did some email searching and was able to find you. Again, our sincerest apologies for your experience. We like to make sure that all of our customers are satisfied with their purchases. We hope that you will consider giving us another try in the future with our promise that you will not be disappointed.

Positive brianaucuba
PEQUEA, PA (Zone 6b)
September 6, 2019
I received my first order from Logee’s today. Shipping was fast. Plants were packaged securely. I ordered two different varieties of paw paws and a lucky bean tree. The paw paws were nice, healthy, grafted seedlings in tree band pots. The lucky bean tree was a large starter plant in a nursery pot. I am very happy with my order and will order again. Thanks to Logee’s for making the lucky bean tree available again after being absent from brick and mortar stores for some inexplicable reason.
Negative Anair
Suwanee, GA
August 6, 2019
I've been a loyal customer of Logees since 2017. However, recently I've had some bad experiences with them. The first was an order that got lost in the mail. It's not the customer's fault if the order gets lost in the mail. But they just threw their hands up and said that I have to sort it with USPS which I tried. Any other company would've jumped at the opportunity to help the customer for the sake of good customer service. I literally had to beg them to send me replacements for the plants that had died by the time I managed to track the package down. Now one would think that I would learn from that bad experience. Not me! I placed another order on June 20, 2019 for plants that were showing as in stock. However, apparently, one of the items got back-ordered because the website wasn't up to date with the number of items in stock. Again, not my fault if their website isn't up to date. So long story short, I'm still waiting for the items because I used a promotional shipping coupon of $9.95. They are saying that because of that promotional shipping coupon that I used, they won't send me even the items that are in stock. Again, it's my fault for using their coupon. Worst of all, they won't even send me any update on the order. I have to call them to get an update on what's happening with the order. Never again will I do business with them.
Company representative comment on August 7, 2019:
On Aug 7, 2019 12:30 PM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Good morning Anair,

We apologize for disappointing you with our services. Here at Logee's we strive to make every experience an enjoyable one. It appears that we fell short here. On occasion, when plants are ordered, an issue with the plant is later found and the plant is therefore unable to be shipped out. You should have received an email stating the following:
Upon inspection of the plants you ordered, we found that one was not up to our standards, so your order has been pulled from shipping and will be scheduled to ship out again once the item is ready.
It appears that this email was sent to you on 6/25/2019. We apologize if you did not receive it. Unfortunately, the item that you ordered has not been up to our standards for shipment quite yet, which is why the order was held.
Generally, due to the shipping promotion, orders are held if any backordered items are on them so that additional shipping fees are not incurred. To resolve this for you, we are going to ship ahead the available items on your order for you at no additional cost to you. The order will leave our facility today. You should receive an email with a tracking number by the end of the day.
Regarding the previous order placed in March, we had contacted our USPS Representative to get some assistance with your missing package. We apologize that it was late to arrive. After receiving the package, on April 5th, you emailed us stating the following:
"Today, I finally received the package that was sent from Logee's on March 22nd. Of the five plants, three looks like they might make it even though they were dried out and stressed due to the delay in receiving the package.
The other two, June Plum and Carolina Jasmine, are not going to make it. I'm attaching the pictures for your reference. If you could send me replacements that would be great. Thank you for your help!"
We immediately responded to your email on April 8th (took us a few days as we are closed on the weekends) stating the following:
"Good Morning, we apologize for how your plants arrived. We have set up replacements for the June plum and Carolina jasmine. We recommend taking off the plastic wrapping and letting them adjust for 10 days. After that you can repot into a clay pot 2 inches larger and a light well- draining potting mix. Have a great day!"
We again apologize for the shortfall, on our part, with our Customer Service and we hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Positive Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA (Zone 5b)
August 4, 2019
Posted on December 11, 2007, updated August 4, 2019
First, I would like to apologize to Logee's for not giving a review sooner. Second, I want to thank Logee's, on behalf of the NE Garden group who went to Logee's for an impromptu tour of their greenhouse at the beginning of October. Thirdly, I have ordered from Logee's, 2 Palomar Prince begonias, which are doing stellar, still!
There was a group of us from the NE Garden forum that made an appearance at Logees on October 6th (I believe) of this year. There were 8 or 9 of us that went to Logee's greenhouse(s). They had 2 staff members on, and the one staff member who was actually doing greenhouse chores, watering, etc. stopped and gave us a brief tour of the greenhouses, and answered a myriad of questions all of us were asking her, almost at the same time; she answered all with a smile, was very curteous, laughed, joked around, and showed us where things were when we asked...she was our personal tour guide.
There was another Logee's employee there to help out, he told us that he worked in a different department, shipping or maintenance?, who introduced us to Logee's resident "plant pet"---Pete. Pete, do not know "his" genus nor species, is a vining plant that goes all throughout Logees check out area, and beginning of their 2 greenhouses.
The plant selection at Logee's is much greater than that in their catalog, I encourage anyone who is in the area, to visit their greenhouses. I went their with the garden group to purchase 2 plants, tree ferns. I expected them to have their "stumps" already, and they did not...I was not disappointed, nor am I...because I did purchase almost $100 of other plants from Logee's. I purchased several begonias, a sensitive plant, and a variegated plant (whose tag I lost, and name escapes me.)
For their customer service, I give Logee's complete and full accolades. For friendliness, and great customer service, complete and full kudos. For rare, different, and unique plant offerings, kudos again!
After the visit to Logee's, my online order, I will be a repeat customer!
On April 9th, 2008, Hemhostaholic added the following:

Another SUPERB transaction from Logee's. I ordered 2 of the Colocasia gigantea "Giant Elephant Ear" and am totally blown away by them. They are HUGE!
Customer satisfaction-GREAT!
Plant material-AWESOMELY GREATNESS!
I will be a repeat, repeat customer!
On August 4th, 2019, Hemhostaholic added the following:

After hearing about Logee's for several years now, my other half asked if we were up for a day trip. I happily obliged! Logee's is about a 4 + hour drive from us, and it was worth it. We walked throughout the greenhouses and came home with several plants. We bought a Sensitive plant, a tuberous Begonia 'Martha Stewart,' Tree Fern, Golden Pothos, Ray of Light Agave, and a few others I can't remember. As always, their customer service was spot on, super friendly, and very accommodating! I'm on their wait list for a variegated Monstera and Pink Princess Philodendrum. Can't wait to order or visit again!
Negative mattwg
Toledo, OH
June 7, 2019
This is in regards ONLY to their desert roses. I have ordered other things from them and have been very impressed, but not with the desert roses. I ordered 7 recently....and yes....it was VERY expensive, i even went the extra mile for overnight shipping. Only 1 out of 7 would anyone consider healthy and worth the money, and that was their 'red picotee', the only non grafted one i ordered, and that particular one i am very pleased with.

The other 6 varieties; 'chandra', 'good night', 'golden carrot', 'million star', 'immortality 2', 'yellow gift'....are not so good.....I'm watching them very closely and crossing my fingers hoping that completely changing the growing media to a gritty mix, in terra cotta pots, mixed with some micro/macro time released nutrients....sprayed with pesticide, fungicide AND cinnamon on any open wounds/cuts (natural fungicide and helps dry it out)....will lead them on a quick road to recovery.
All 6 show signs of malnutrition & leaf blight of some kind (likely bacterial, causing brown/black leaves). One of THOSE 6 was not grown well at all. 'Chandra' hardly had any root and the caudex was shriveled, thankfully only due to lack of water, my best guess is it didn't really go dormant but water was withheld anyway. 2 of those 6 have some odd looking damage, possibly sunburn? as there are 2 quite noticeable black streaks on the grafted stems. Now....this might have been fine if it were being sold like the plants on the discount rack at a big box store....but i shelled out around $400 for these babies....and they come like this? I will keep them, and i'm still willing to try some of their other desert roses....but just be warned....

If you are not familiar with growing them, i do not recommend starting with logees. Otherwise, you can get your hands on some unique hybrids you won't find elsewhere if you are willing to give an arm and a leg to put them in a "plant hospital" so-to-speak.lol. I have not bothered contacting logees....they shipped them this way, so i don't think they are going to see reason to alleviate the matter.
Company representative comment on June 19, 2019:
On Jun 7, 2019 7:50 PM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Hello mattwg. I apologize for the disappointment, inconvenience and the poor condition of the adeniums that you received. Please do contact us so that we can correct this issue for you. Thank you for the detailed description of the problems, that helps so that we can work with our growers and pickers so that we don't disappoint the next customer (I've already sent an email to our growers so that they can look over the adeniums ASAP). If possible providing photos would be great too. Our office is closed over the weekend, but you can email us at [email protected] or call us 888-330-8038 (M-F, 9-5)

On Jun 19, 2019 3:03 PM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. added:

Good afternoon Mattwg,
We wanted to thank you again for sending us the photos of the plants. We sincerely appreciate the insight. We hope that you were able to resolve these issues for you. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Logee's Customer Service

Positive Lylith
Brecksville, OH
June 4, 2019
I have ordered from Logee's numerous times and have never been disappointed. They have lots of unique and unusual plants, continually adding to their varieties. They publish information online about caring for you plants and have videos online as well. AND most importantly, every time I have ordered I have gotten well grown, healthy, well packaged plants in perfect condition.

There IS a responsibility that falls on the buyer: Don't order if your weather is too hot or too cold - then you are much less likely to receive a damaged plant. Cooked or frozen plants that you ordered without considering the weather are not Logees fault!

They are my absolute favorite seller for unique, unusual and beautiful plants! I'd recommend them to anyone! Please note: this is a totally unsolicited review. I'm a small home gardener who loves her houseplants. Most of mine come from Logees.
Positive PottedLife
November 28, 2018
This is the second time I have ordered (# 100129001) from them and both times have been a pleasurable experience and have been above my expectations.

Packing - First class! The box was lined with Styrofoam, then plastic and each plant was so carefully packed that they looked like I picked them up from a nursery myself.

Plants - Healthy, chubby, well established and happy.
I'd like to point out that it is winter now with temperatures the past two days below freezing so I was quite concerned. Plants were snug-as-a-bug with the included heat pack.

Communication - previous order and this order they have always been very responsive and accommodating to my requests and questions.

Thank you Logee's Greenhouses!
Negative jkelly66
Denver, CO
September 18, 2018
I ordered an Imperial Dragon hibiscus from them as a first time customer. It arrived healthy, and I potted it with good soil as well as adding the fertilizer that they sell specifically for hibiscus. The plant did well, and after a few months, it began to bloom. According to their website and catalogue, the description says "The heart of the flower is vibrant purple."

The photo that accompanies the description on their site and in their catalogue is gorgeous-this is why I bought it. However, the center of my blooms are a very deep red, without a hint of purple. I sent them a polite email, with multiple photos from different angles, and asked politely that they rectify the situation, and I indicated that I would take another hibiscus if I could get the actual Imperial Dragon, or that I was willing to accept store credit, as I love their catalogue and would like to be a repeat customer.

This is the exact text of their response: "Our lead grower has confirmed that this is the Imperial Dragon Hibiscus, and that the blooms will vary from plant to plant in color and intensity, but the petals, pistil and general coloring match that of the Imperial Dragon." That's it.That's all they said.

I found the tone dismissive, and was quite irritated with this response, especially considering that I used the specific fertilizer that THEY recommend and sell! This is not my first hibiscus, I know what I'm doing as far as growing them.

I wrote back and asked them to remove me from their email lists as well as their mailed catalogue. I received a curt response that I'd been removed from all lists. To their credit, they also refunded my purchase.

I suggest that they indicate in their catalogues that what you see might not be what you get. I also suggest they work to improve their customer service skills.

Company representative comment on September 18, 2018:
On Sep 18, 2018 2:28 PM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Good afternoon,
We apologize for the dissatisfaction with your recent correspondence with our customer service department. We strive to make each and every one of our customers satisfied with their purchases. Unfortunately, your photo was passed over to our lead grower and was confirmed to be the correct plant. Unfortunately, after making you aware of this, you did become quite angered and responded as follows:
"Ok then. I totally disagree with your assessment of this plant. The center is in no way at all purple, nor plum, nor violet, nor magenta, nor any other color other than a deep RED. I now know not to do business with your company. Please remove me from your email list, and please do not send any more catalogs."
We then responded to you by saying the following:
"Variations in the soil and fertilizer can cause color variations in the flower. We have refunded you for the Hibiscus and removed you from all future contacts from Logee’s.

Logee's Customer Service"

We apologize if the photo was misleading in any way and we have agreed to remove you from any future mailings per your request. We also issued you a refund for this item as well. We are sorry that we cannot rectify this issue for you and we certainly apologize that you have chosen not to do business with us in the future. If there is anything else that we could possibly do to rectify this for you, please let us know.

Neutral queenholly
Warsaw, IN
September 13, 2018
Posted on September 13, 2018, updated September 13, 2018
Posted on June 9, 2018, updated September 13, 2018
I placed a test order with Logee's to see if they were I company I'd like to do business with in the future. Their prices are a little on the outrageous side, but they do carry many hard to find varieties. I ordered 4 different plants, a coconut orchid, Jasmine 'Maid of Orleans',Cape Primrose 'Salmon Sunset streptocarpus , and a 'Tea Rose' Begonia. When the box arrived in the mail, it was smashed, but fortunately the plants were not damaged. I watered the plants, waited a few days, and then potted them up. All were healthy, and thrived. However, within the 60 day guarantee time, the begonia began to bloom, and that's where I encountered a problem. Their website describes the plant, 'Fragrant flowers and a never-ending display of luscious pink blooms'. The $18 plant I received bloomed small white flowers with no fragrance at all. I phoned the company, and was told that I needed to submit a photograph by email, which I did. To date, the company has not responded.
On September 13th, 2018, queenholly added the following:

Update: I did finally hear back from the company. Because the plant I received was not as represented on their website, I insisted on a refund, and they did give it to me. However, I'm choosing not to do business with them again, because I feel their website is very misleading, and am now gun shy.
On September 13th, 2018, queenholly changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Company representative comment on June 11, 2018:
On Jun 11, 2018 3:01 PM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Good afternoon,
We apologize for the delayed response. Your photo was passed along to our horticulturalist upon receiving it. The representative forwarding the email should have notified you that we were going to pass it along for identification and you'd receive a response as soon as we heard back from them. We sincerely apologize that we fell short here and we are also sorry that the plant did not meet your standards. Here at Logee's, we strive to make every experience an enjoyable one. As previously discussed, we will be passing this along to the proper department. So sorry for the troubles this has caused you.

Sincerely,

Positive mcsnail
Chicago, IL
June 8, 2018
Posted on October 16, 2012, updated June 8, 2018
Posted on June 28, 2012, updated October 16, 2012
I've been a Logee's customer for over a decade (maybe two) and I've come to see it as an unfortunate habit. I certainly don't regret all my purchases--but like others--I feel that their plants are not as robust or well established as those of competitors such as Almost Eden. And--their descriptions of plants are designed to seduce the credulous (like me) and are often somewhat-indirectly- dishonest. They sell, as houseplants, some plants that are not generally reccommended for the house. They never mention that a given plant is vulnerable to a common pest--and they imply that the home gardener will be rewarded with buckets of fruit from plants that are not likely to fruit at all-or rarely- in the house. And-I feel that the quality of their plants has grown worse in the last few years. So-I'm trying to stop-but that catalog still can get me.
On October 16th, 2012, mcsnail changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Well--after trying fruitlessly (so to speak) to grow Logee's citrus in my house--I gave up. I spent ALOT of money on Meyer's lemons, key limes, finger limes--and on and on. The only one that survived more than a year was a Kaffir lime. Many bit the dust after a few months-often prey to bugs. I figured that conditions in my house were too unfavorable. And then-against my better judgement I bought a Meyer's lemon from a local nursery. It cost $22 and was healthy and flowering. After at least 18 months--including a brutal Winter and Summer-- it is flourishing--and not a bug has come near it. 6 little lemons are on it now and it is big and healthy. I thought back on all the plants from Logee's that died (I recall an etrog that was about 2 inches tall and didn't seem to have a root system. It died in two weeks). I have probably wasted nearly $1000 on plants that never should have been mailed out. Its pretty infuriating.
On June 8th, 2018, mcsnail changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

A while back they had a promotion that gave free shipping for a largish order. I couldn't resist. Even though they had a promotion going on--all the plants I received were well grown and in good shape. Some months later the only problems I have had is in keeping them pruned so they don't take over my house. This may be an isolated experience--but it is possible that they have turned things around really nicely.
Negative Auryla
Norfolk, VA
May 6, 2018
I received a desert rose "Good Luck" and the flower was nothing like the picture. The flower color was light pink throughout and not as double. The pic they provided showed a rich deep pink center. I would never have bought such a boring pale insipid pink color like the one I received. Also, a hydrangea I bought, although I knew it came in a small container, never thought anyone would actually sell something so tiny. I can get a quart container elsewhere wiith a much larger plant.

Logees is much more expensive than other nurseries. I only buy from them when they offer something I can't find anywhere else. I will no longer buy from them. They are a ripoff.
Company representative comment on May 8, 2018:
On May 8, 2018 1:44 PM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Good afternoon,
We are sorry to hear that the plants that you purchased were not up to your expectations. We offer a 100% satisfaction 60 day guarantee on our products and we can offer you a replacement or a refund of what you received.Customer satisfaction is what we strive for here at Logee's and we would be happy to assist you with rectifying this situation. Please contact our customer service department, either by phone at 1-888-330-8038 between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm eastern time, Monday through Friday, or by email at [email protected]. We would be happy to accomodate your request.

Positive aikanenuiloa
Orlando, FL
January 17, 2018
Posted on January 15, 2018, updated January 17, 2018
Posted on January 15, 2018, updated January 15, 2018
Aloha Nui to my[friends?]at [email protected] Noni plants,shipped on the 9th,you say,I got them on the 11th,tho invoice says the 5th[ok]and yes,I agree,they should be brilliant and green,AS THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN!for me,anyway.I've had plants fail on some occaisions and they were always cheerfully replaced with another great specimen.Been a very pleased customer for over 10 yrs.Now I am being asked to give photos of the sadly brown and wilted plants.After trying[unsuccessfully]for 2 days they are totally dead which could make it look like I neglected them,which isnt the case-but since my phone didnt push the photos thru,I must try again w/a compatible phone.What I dont get is why dont they just take my word for it?Im not a liar.I agree that is a good policy to avoid scamming but I felt at this point in time I should be considered a decent client.The impression I got on the phone was that unless proof is provided,the 60 day warranty is negotiable.My feelings are as bruised as these noni starts!It was not at all pleasant for the lady on the phone that I was trying to reason with,nor myself!I am hesitant to even call back now....I am really trying to see their side,but it felt like a do-it-or-else situation,lol!!It is almost comical!I really want the plants,but this experience has left me scratching my head!I mean,WTH?C'mon,guys!That stung!If I could find noni somewhere else,I would get em there.It is only $41!!!I am gonna try my best to comply but I am doubtful what the end result will be if I am not able to get the photos across.My phone is apparently unable and even when they do get a look from a'smartphone' I think they'll tell me to take a hike.This is the one and only time I have gotten an order that was D.O.A.I have to say that in all fairness!But because of the interrogation,so to speak,Im very gunshy of ordering again.I wonder if anyone else has had this treatment??C'mon Logees,I thought you were kindred Hawaiian spirits,but now you wen turn 'haole'on me and give me only pilikia!!Wow,laulau!!!L.Alligood,Orlando,Fla.

On January 15th, 2018, aikanenuiloa added the following:

NEWS FLASH!!As of today,Martin Luther King Day,the decision is in-No replacements without PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF. Plants shipped on 9th[so say supplier]Recievied here on the 11th.Plants dying on arrival,now definitly dead.Logees say they cannot perish in such a short time.Agreed.Since stems are green but spongy,it strongly suggests they were frozen in transit.USPS is not concerned about temps on live items....Since this week has had record lows and snowed in at airports,etc.it is the only logical explanation.[Yes,Mr.Spock!]Good thing I have a sense of humor and love Jesus dearly,cuz the temptation to go the other way is beckoning!!!I guess all the $ and years of patronage went over their heads.....so I suggest to anyone that cares to take note of the NEW unannounced policy----NO replace w/o PROOF.Your word and loyalty mean nothing.A sad condition of the times we live in.L.AlligoodAloha,Logees!Was nice while it was!
On January 17th, 2018, aikanenuiloa changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

In only a few days,Logees has extended the olive branch and made it right.Never write when you are feeling rejected!!!I am thankful they took this effort even tho I am not their biggestr customer.And glad to be able to get the unusual and rare nursery items.Thanks and Mahalo again Logees.It is now NICE again!May it always be.aikanenuiloa
Positive cathy166
Stamford, CT (Zone 6b)
September 7, 2017
Posted on April 17, 2015, updated September 7, 2017
Posted on September 27, 2013, updated April 17, 2015
I always feel I have to add my own two cents' worth when I see a vendor I used got a negative review.

My order from last week arrived today It was fresh, beautifully packed and the plants (mostly rex begonias) are just beautiful. I could not have been more pleased. Two days ago they sent a tracking number when the package was shipped.
On April 17th, 2015, cathy166 added the following:

Still getting great service with beautiful plants, appropriately prepared. Thumbs up!
On September 7th, 2017, cathy166 added the following:

Still ordering and getting wonderful rex begonias and a few other plants from Logee's. Beautifully packaged and healthy.

In case you are sleeping under a log, shipping is costly and continues to rise.
Positive architectmom
San Francisco, CA
July 27, 2017
Pros: My bougainvilleas arrived well packed and very healthy . I put them in a shaded area outdoors and they still look healthy and growing.

Cons: the shipping cost is surprising and the plants were a bit smaller than I expected. So a bit pricey but fine, as they were the only source I could find online for this variety.
Positive KrautThistle
Levittown, NY (Zone 7a)
June 6, 2017
Despite their dubious distinction of being very expensive on their shipping charges, I have been a repeat customer of Logees for the past 5 years as they are one of the only places where I can find some of the plants I grow, all of the plants I've ordered from them have been healthy, & none of my orders have ever arrived damaged.

They are one of the oldest nurseries for rare & exotic tropicals & every year new specimens are added to their stock. Personally I would like to see them offer more in the way of datura (metel v. fasutosa & wrightii), colocasia (Black Coral & Diamond Head), canna, ginger, musa (Bordelon, Velutina, Thai Black, & Siam Ruby), & more brugmansia that are not sanguinea hybrids. They used to sell Super Nova, Charles Grimaldi, & Ecuador Pink for many years but I noticed these are missing from their website this year.

Logees greenhouse is open to the public though I have yet to travel that way to explore such for myself. Website is easy to navigate with thorough product details & plant information but clear enough for the lay person. There's an eclectic assortment of plants with varying price points, some being on the extreme range for the size offered. They periodically have online sales which might be helpful to those looking for a deal. Cannot comment about the overall quality of the plants on sale now as I've only purchased one said plant 4 yrs ago. My plant arrived in a timely manner, unscathed, with a hearty root system although I was disappointed in the quality & size of the cutting I received as compared to the same type of plant I had purchased from them 2 months earlier that year. Still, the plant grew out & has thrived. So much for judging a book by its cover.

I always place my order with Logees around Feb/March for shipping in April & it's promptly mailed out the week of my specified ship date. Never had any problems there. Packages arrive within 3-4 days (for me) via USPS with no damage. As I mentioned earlier, none of the boxes my orders have been packed in have ever arrived with even a dent. Plants are not shipped in atypical white USPS boxes, they're Logees own brown cardboard boxes that have a little thicker mass to them which makes them far more resilient to the rigors of shipping. All my plants have always been packaged with care & attention, with a bamboo stake for additional support, shredded material packed over the soil in the pots to keep it from spilling out as well as to keep the soil moist, & what I refer to as their trademark black silky plastic wrapped around the entire pot itself with a rubber band around it to keep everything secure. Never had any soil nor plants loose in the box. No broken stems nor leaves. Ever. Soil has always been moist, not saturated, upon receiving. Plants themselves are exactly what their item descriptions state.

One of the chief complaints about Logees are their shipping costs. Even for someone like me who lives a state away from them, it is expensive - more so than any other place I've done business with. There's an explanation for this on Logees' website & I read the response a Logees rep gave on DGW here in regard to other posters' concerns. Like with any seller, I guess it boils down to a matter of take it or leave it.

The size & price of the plants from Logees can be debatable as some growers desire larger specimens for what Logees charges. Since I only purchase certain plants from them & they've always arrived to me healthy, pest free, & actively growing, I do consider the prices I've paid for my plants, as well as the shipping, worth every penny. My recent order was for a Stingray Alocasia which arrived to me in perfect condition & was much larger than the description stated. Root system was healthy, plump, & extensive. Plant is already putting out new little 'rays.

Not sure if this is any testament to Logees' quality of stock or my own growing prowess but in either case, every plant I've purchased from them has thrived in my yard as well as successfully overwintered to live out another season.

Cannot comment about their return nor refund policies as I've yet to go through such.

Neutral piscesxander
Sacramento, CA
May 9, 2017
I absolutely LOVE their plant variety for exotic items! But... I kinda hate their website... the search function is a mess. Their prices are rather high for the rather small plants you receive - but that's the exotic trade for ya. Everything arrived very healthy and is growing excellently but honestly for the price point I was expecting bigger plants. I will certainly buy from them again with the expectation that anything I order will probably take a few seasons to fully explode with growth. I do really like that they have informative videos available on several items I've ordered.
Positive TMichelle
Platteville, WI
April 13, 2017
This is the third time I have ordered from Logee's. The plants have all arrived in excellent condition and were well-packed even though I live in rural Wisconsin and they ship from Connecticut. Yes, the prices are higher, but sometimes you get what you pay for. I've bought a variety of plants, ranging from Venus fly-traps to "tooth-ache plant" to guavas to Meyer lemon to black goji berry to two varieties of kumquats and other citrus. All are still living and most are thriving..
Positive Mia_Lousie
Evanston, IL
April 12, 2017
Got the plant and variety I wanted and it is healthy. Fairly small and pricey but unusual so understandable, I guess.
Negative shootingrainbow
GARBERVILLE, CA
March 11, 2017
Your prices are insane. So, I came to the Garden Watchdog to see if maybe you all where something extra special for the price? Then, I see that people also say that your S&H is too much as well. Just so you know......no thanks. There are plenty of rare plants elsewhere for way less and of great quality. 2.5" potted plants for over $10, and 4" for $20.... Yikes.
Negative eyfng
San Gabriel, CA
February 7, 2017
After seeing the negative reviews in here, I really hesitated to have business with Logee’s. But I really wanted to have a star fruit dwarf plant which is difficult to find elsewhere, I decided to purchase just one plant, the “Star Fruit ‘Dwarf Hawaiian’ (Averrhoa carambola)” on Dec 13, 2016 when it was on sale.

The price of plants and shipping charge are high overall. The guarantee period is only 60 days which is too short to tell whether the plant will grow well or not.

I didn’t receive the shipment confirmation. The plant was delivered on Saturday Dec 19. It was not well packed with dirt dropping out from the box. The leaves were a bit dry with some brown edges and some leaves were damaged even though the plant was in the box for just 2 to 3 days. (The order was not shipped when I called to check the shipping status 4 days after placing the order.)

I have had ordered plants from the East coast. The plants were received in a much better shape even though they were in the box for a week.

Two days later, I re-potted the plant into a bigger pot. In less than 2 weeks, all leaves dropped off. A few days after, all tiny branches dried up and dropped off too. The top of the main branch started to dry up afterwards.

I emailed Logee’s starting from Dec 1 with pictures provided. I was told that this condition is normal as long as the main stem near the base is still green under the scratch. Yes, it was still green, but the fresh green was gradually turning to brownish-green. On Dec 5, I was told that “with browning of the leaves, it can signify a fertilizer issue. Do you know if there was any fertilizer premixed into the soil?” I then emailed back to let them know that I have been using the self-watering container mix from Garden’s Supply (with the description of the container mix posted on its website) for all my potted plants without any problems.

I even emailed a picture of the plant with the main stem only and a picture of the half-dead plant before re-potting. Since then, no respond from Logee’s. Around Jan 2017, I discovered on their website that the stock of this star fruit had been changed from 17 to unavailable.

I had no problem to get the refund of the merchandise, but I paid the expensive S&H charge to learn a lesson. Even so, I am sorry that I still have to give a negative rating because I won’t dare to place another order again.

Negative whipscorpion
Dallas, TX
September 21, 2016
Outrageous s&h costs. Guess they never heard of USPS flat rate expedited shipping. They even provide free boxes!
Company representative comment on September 21, 2016:
On Sep 21, 2016 6:50 PM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Hello whipscorpion,

I apologize that we have disappointed you with our shipping charges. Unfortunately shipping live plants is quite expensive. I personally review our shipping costs and shipping charges every year to make sure that we are charging as fair a rate as possible, but also not losing money.

I have looked at the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes and tried to figure out how to use them effectively, but they are really designed to work best for small, heavy objects. Plants are long and light since much of what we are shipping is the foliage of the plant. Our own boxes are designed with that in mind and to package in a way that protects the plant foliage as much as possible.

For example: The “Small Flat Rate Box” has a reasonable shipping rate of $6.80, unfortunately it is only 1.6” wide and would not fit even our smallest 2.5” pot so we cannot use that box for plants.

The next size up, “Medium Flat Rate Box” is $13.45, could fit 3 or 4 of our small pots. One problem is that it is only 13.6” long, whereas our own boxes are designed between 18 and 30” long to fit taller plants. Also, because of the flat rate if we used this box for only 1 plant we’d be overpaying for the shipping cost. Our own #8/2 box which is 6” x 6” x 18” can hold taller plants, costs less to ship when we are shipping only 1 or 2 plants and is still a little cheaper when shipping 3 or 4 plants.

The next size up, “Large Flat Rate Box” is $18.75 and could fit several of our medium size pots, but again it is too short at 12” long. Also, I wouldn’t consider $18.75 cheap and when we get to that range it is usually either a large order or 1-2 large plants. Our largest 6” and 8” pots do not fit into any of the flat rate boxes so we have to use a different box for those.

Again, I apologize for the disappointment and we will to keep the charges as low as possible, but with the shipping rates rising by 3-5% every year, the best that we have been able to do is to keep our rates flat for several years by asking for discounts on our boxes and shipping rates and switching between carriers to keep the costs down where possible.

Sincerely, Logee’s

Negative woof12
Philadelphia, PA
July 19, 2016
Posted on June 1, 2006, updated July 19, 2016
Unlike most mailorder companies at least Logee's has what's in their catalog & the plants are a nice size. The only downside is their s&h charges. Why is shipping & handling so much? It's one of the highest I can think of. Also there's a shorter than usual time for plant warrenties/garrenties.
On July 19th, 2016, woof12 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

It's usually been okay but this last time I ordered some plants that I didn't know wasn't available & the customer service rep never mentioned it. After waiting for a length of time I called again & that's when I found out they didn't have the plants. All that effort nothing to show for it. When I first called Someone should have said something. They forced me to go somewhere else & get them.
Company representative comment on September 21, 2016:
On Sep 21, 2016 8:23 PM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

Hello woof12,

I apologize that we disappointed you on your order this year. The customer service representative definitely should have mentioned a problem with the plants. It is possible that the problem with the plants was found or occurred after your order was taken and before we had a chance to ship the plants; Because we work with a living, growing product, we sometimes find that they do not meet our quality standards when we pull orders for shipment. In that case, we should have contacted you as soon as we discovered the problem so I apologize again for the shortfall on our part.

Sincerely, Logee’s

Positive w08833
Lebanon, NJ
June 1, 2016
I ordered some figs online about a month ago. I thought I would be getting them within 7-10 days with standard shipping. Unfortunately they did not arrive as promised, although they were shipped promptly when I complained. other than this my experience was positive.

when the plants arrived,they had nice root systems and were well packed, I replanted them into larger pots and they have already doubled in size.

Logee's also has a comprehensive web site with more varieties than I had ever seen.

so just take the promised delivery date with a grain of salt!

Positive cardoons
Longmeadow, MA
March 4, 2016
Always a good experience buying plants from Logee's. We have been to the greenhouse three times and bought plants online twice. The staff with whom we have interacted have always been pleasant and helpful.

Our most recent package was expertly packed. There was a layer of sphagnum moss on top of the soil, covered with moist shredded paper, and each pot was wrapped with a plastic sheet and secured with rubber bands. Each plant and pot was then wrapped with tissue paper and all were shipped together snuggly packed in the appropriate size box. All three plants had detailed labels, and the one dormant plant had a tag explaining that it was dormant and would leaf out in the spring.

One guava plant actually consisted of two plants in the pot. In the process of separating them, I could see that the plants had abundant roots, but were not pot-bound.

Compared to my experience with other nurseries, Logees is head and shoulders above the rest.
Positive musicalmud
Ames, IA
January 30, 2016
I ordered some citrus in the end of year sale, and did not expect them until March when the weather warmed up here in Iowa. Instead they got them shipped to me safely in January. The plants look good, with larger plants than expected for 4" pots. Great selection of interesting plants.
Positive commanderkibble
Fort Pierce, FL
September 11, 2015
I ordered from loggees was great. I got replacement plants right away after the post office mangled my box. Very happy with this company would order from them again. Service was great
Positive grik
Saint Paul, MN
May 26, 2015
Posted on August 21, 2009, updated May 26, 2015
Another good experience with Logees. I finally set up my light stand again in the basement after having dismantled for a couple of years and I was looking for some plants when their sale email reached me.

I purchased 6 plants for about $70.00. They were packed very well and I only lost one leaf unpacking. The soil and rootballs were intact.

The plants varied in top growth and root ball size. Most were really almost ready to repot up one size and I did that promptly. A couple appeared to be fairly newly started but healthy. I was especially pleased with the size of my Mitrostigma axillare because I know from experience how slowly they grow. I ordered the small size and it was at least 6 inches of top growth and well branched. :)

I will buy from them again. This is probably my 4th or 5th order over the years.

On May 26th, 2015, grik added the following:

I just received my order. They had a free shipping offer if you purchased over $100 worth of plants and I couldn't resist. The plants really look great and were pretty good size. Really I get excited when I open these mail order boxes from nurseries. I will continue to order from this nursery.
Positive bfreiberg
Bay Area, CA (Zone 10a)
April 15, 2015
Great! They let me know exactly what was going on with the shipping status. The plant was well packaged and came with directions. I expected it to be small because it was in a 2.5 inch pot. It was actually very tall and had 9 mature leaves on it. I repotted it and it looks healthy with lots of leaves. I hope it will bloom this summer.
Positive pal98111
Atlanta, GA
April 8, 2015
I have ordered from Logee's many times going back 40 years before there was a website and they just had a skinny catalog with mostly begonias. We have both grown up together. Recently I received my spring order and again was very satisfied. The fun for me is growing the plants up to maturity. I know that i will be getting a small plant in a 2" pot as is shown on their website so I don't expect to receive plants ready to display. They ship promptly. It is my favorite mailorder nursery for their huge variety and reliability.
Neutral webchemist
Vista, CA
April 3, 2015
Posted on November 22, 2014, updated April 3, 2015
Posted on May 1, 2014, updated November 22, 2014
I'd had my eye on their yellow coffee cherry plant as I've yet to find this item anywhere else. After getting my tax refund I finally had a some cash to spare on my rare fruit collection, so I placed my order along with a few other items to make it worth paying the high shipping fee that comes with buying live plants online.

2 weeks goes by, and I open my package to find the 3 other items I ordered but no yellow coffee, just a line on the invoice saying "item discontinued." They shorted me the 1 item I actually really cared about, the whole reason I ordered in the first place. It would be one thing if it were back-ordered and they were going to send separately at a later date, but to advertise an item they had no intention of selling again makes me feel cheated. They had 2 whole weeks to notify me and let me cancel or change the order but they said nothing, and I even contacted them in that time period to ask about adding an additional item to the shipment before it went out to combine shipping, so they should have seen that when customer service looked at my order before replying to my question.

I emailed customer service about the discontinuation and all I got was a weak apology for not notifying me and an excuse that other customers must have bought the remaining plants right before I did. So this tells me either they are discontinuing a hot selling item, which would be stupid, or their inventory system is horribly inaccurate and out of date, and can't be trusted. I'm guessing its the 2nd. And the fact they really did nothing to try to make this right tells me these types of screw ups probably happen pretty frequently.

Its a shame because Logee's has some exotic offerings I'd love to grow, but what's the point of offering all these unique fruits if you aren't committed to carrying them? When I place an order I expect to receive all the items I bought, and if your company screws up you should at least make some kind of effort to set things right.
On November 22nd, 2014, webchemist changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I rechecked Logee's site and saw they again listed the Yellow Coffee as in stock. I almost didn't order, but I'm glad I did. I did actually receive my yellow coffee this time, along with several other plants, as they had a 20% off promotion going so I decided to get a few other things and make the shipping cost worth my while. This order was sent out pretty quickly. They did screw up and mis-shipped me a Giant Potato Tree instead of a Naranjilla, but the part numbers were the same except 1 digit and they do look similar so I guess I can see that being easy to mistake. They let me keep the Potato Tree and I got my Naranjilla a week later so that wasn't really a big deal. I'll probably order again next time I see a 20% off deal.
On April 3rd, 2015, webchemist added the following:

I just received my 3rd order, and thankfully there were no mishaps this time. My Orangeberry was nice and healthy, but my poor Hibiscus was looking pretty sad, most of the leaves had damage.
Positive Kjani
Gig Harbor, WA
April 1, 2015
I had a great experience with LOGEE'S - in fact the plants were in excellent shape = perfect, all wrapped in a silk black material that feels like silk with white shredded material for stuffing. Everything was extremely well packed and therefore the plants were in stellar shape. I ordered 18 Scaevola aemula "Fan Flower" and 3 Schizostylis Coccinea 'Major'. This actually is the best packaging and condition of plants I have ever received from anyone or any place barring of course going to a local nursery and picking out my own. I will DEFINITELY be ordering from Logee's again. The quality was stellar. It did take them 9 days before they shipped, but then I got the order in 3 days and I just had standard shipping (Pacific Northwest) and Logee's is in Connecticut. So I am very impressed with Logee's. They also put in a coupon if I do another order in 15 days after receipt of this order I get another 10% off. So I gotta look at my plant wish list again.
Negative x2speed2x
Ronkonkoma, NY
March 24, 2015
AVOID LOGEE'S! At least their online sales. I'm not sure if they sell locally, but if you can avoid their online sales, you would be smart to do so! I've only ordered once from them and it took them 10 MONTHS to correct an ordering issue. After my plant died (which happened to just be a rooted cutting), they continued to prolong the issue of sending a replacement. They will try to make you pay for shipping over and over again. Additionally, if they send you the wrong item, they will try to make it seem as if was your fault, even if you have order confirmation. They wanted me to jump through hoops after their mistakes. In the end, amount I paid for a 2.5'' tree cutting, I could have easily purchased an actual 2 year old tree, on its own root stock, for an additional $10 from Home Depot, plus they protect all purchases for up to a year. Had I known this, I would have completely stayed away from Logee's. While I'm sure their methods are legitimate, they fail to inform customers about all the problems they might face in the future in addition to their lacking customer service. **HOWEVER, IF YOU DO SPEAK ORDER FROM THEM AND FACE PROBLEMS, MAKE SURE YOU IMMEDIATELY SPEAK TO A MANAGER! THEY WILL TRY TO BULLY YOU AND MAKE YOU GIVE INTO THEIR RIDICULOUS UNWRITTEN POLICIES AND DEMANDS!!! REMEMBER, YOU CAN ALWAYS DISPUTE A CREDIT CARD CHARGE UP TO 90 DAYS AFTER THE TRANSACTION DATE! WHETHER YOU WIN OR LOSE, (in some cases) LOGEE'S WILL RECEIVE A CHARGEBACK FEE OF $25!!!** AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!
Company representative comment on April 8, 2015:
On Apr 8, 2015 8:21 AM, Logee's Greenhouses, Ltd. responded with:

We apologize for disappointing you with our customer service. We care greatly about our customers and it is disturbing to hear of your experience. Please let us know how we can make it right for that is our goal. Our aim, as a Company, is to satisfy every person who takes the time to be one of our customers. We apologize that we fell short. It is feedback like yours that helps us to improve our Company and our customer service. I am one of Logee’s owners. Please be in contact with me so we can solve this problem for you. We want you to be happy with our plants and our service.
Sincerely yours, Laurelynn G. Martin, owner, Logee’s Greenhouses, LTD

Positive dodges7
Alna, ME (Zone 5b)
October 25, 2014
Have been ordering plants, both indoor and outdoor, from them for nearly 40 years. Plants are almost always larger than described and of high quality. Most have to be moved to larger pots soon after receiving. Those plants that have not survived are likely my fault as is the almost always the case with most people and plants.
I cannot praise Logee's enough for selection and quality.
Positive cheesesauce
Seminole, AL
August 8, 2014
Ordered a few fruit trees from them this month. Arrived well packed, small but healthy and showing signs of new growth. I enjoy watching their youtube tours of the greenhouse and I hope they will post more informational videos about their products in the future. Thanks!
Positive DoreenMN88
West Sayville, NY
July 28, 2014
I ordered a butterfly bush named Miss Molly. It was supposed to be red. Both the description and image in the catalog stated it was to be red. When it arrived it was purple. I sent an email to Logee's and within a day they apologized for the mistake and sent me another. It hasn't bloomed yet, so I'm not positive it is red. But I hope it is. I also have a purple one to find a home for.