Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

The scoop on 'Niche Gardens'

Niche Gardens

Green Star: Good Niche Gardens is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

1111 Dawson Road
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27516 (United States)

Visit Niche Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on September 30, 2019:
The nursery at Niche Gardens will be closing as of October 18, 2019. Our shipping department has already closed.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive ncreader
Charlotte, NC
April 22, 2019
I have ordered from Niche for the past 3 years and each shipment of plants is well packed, sent quickly, and full of healthy plants. They offer so many varieties of plants its hard to choose -- the best problem to have! I recommend Niche Gardens!
Positive securtin17
Silver Spring, MD
April 14, 2019
Just received my first order from Niche Gardens. The plants were well packed, undamaged, and looked lovely.
Positive hented
Charlotte, NC (Zone 8b)
April 12, 2019
Mail order customer only, though relatively local (Charlotte, NC). Highest praise for quality of print and online catalogues, ease and accuracy of online order process, quality of stock and packaging, and customer service. It's my second year as a customer, and everything received last year is thriving.
Positive oifisher
Nags Head, NC
March 18, 2019
Great service, beautiful plants. Ordered 12 plants on a Friday, 4 different types. Order was shipped the following Monday and received in Nags Head on Wednesday. Can't beat that. Plants were packed professionally--moist newspaper and tape were used to keep soil in the pots and bamboo sticks were used to separate plants to avoid damaging tender shoots. Great selection of natives, too. Very impressive operation.
Positive flowermaiden2
Saint Maries, ID
January 11, 2019
Posted on December 30, 2018, updated January 11, 2019
I\'ve been trying to access their website by clicking on the link provided, but keep getting a \"connection reset\" and \"problem loading page\" message. It seems to time out with each effort. I am curious about this company, and would like to see what they have available, but can\'t get through. I shall keep trying.

I am wondering if they have a printed mail order catalog, as I don\'t actually shop online, although I would like to look at their merchandise on their website.

Hope it comes up, soon.

It may not be their fault, but it\'s still frustrating.

On January 11th, 2019, flowermaiden2 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I'm going from neutral to positive, even though I haven't yet ordered anything from them. The fact that they responded promptly to my issue with their website, and do offer a printed catalog (which I have requested by phone) shows me that they are responsive to their customers and prospective customers. When so many of these companies just ignore issues, it's always nice when one takes the time to address. I am awaiting the catalog, and it should be interesting to see what they offer.

Company representative comment on January 2, 2019:
On Jan 2, 2019 1:14 PM, Niche Gardens responded with:

We did have some trouble with the website, which was apparently down for a day or so over the holidays. It's all back up now including our new plants for 2019. We do have a printed catalog as well, so send us your address. Sorry about your trouble, but yes, the web is frustrating sometimes.

Positive 83
Marshall, IL
July 4, 2018
Niche Gardens was easy to work with. They had the specific plant that I wanted. It came healthy and was shipped in a safe and box. I will order from them again.
Positive jasperj
Plainfield, NJ
June 17, 2018
I've ordered plants from Niche several times over the years. They always arrive carefully packaged to protect against damage during shipping. And, over the years, plants I ordered from Niche have thrived. I recently had a question about the health of some plants I'd ordered - upon arrival, the leaves were pale green and I thought they looked sickly. So I sent them an email, and within a couple hours, the company responded. They explained that this particular plant was entering dormancy at this time of year, so the lack of a deep green color at this point was completely normal. I was pleased at their quick response. I won't hesitate to order from them again!
Positive paul_camire
Capac, MI
April 7, 2018
I placed my online order with Niche Gardens a month ago with a requested ship date for this week. The plants arrived right on time and were exactly as described on their website. I received an email letting me know that the plants had shipped as well as shipment tracking information. Excellent packaging/plants.
Positive rddjgarden
Bristol, FL
March 30, 2018
I received three plants from Niche Gardens yesterday. All were packed very well and in good shape. I hope to order from them again.
Positive aasalas
Lewes, DE (Zone 7b)
June 10, 2017
I'm 60 and have been buying mail order plants for most of my life. The plants just received from my first-ever order from Niche may have been the most beautifully packaged (yet without waste) that I have ever received.

They were also sent promptly -- amazingly so. I placed the order online and in the comments section simply asked that they be sent as soon as possible. I received them within a week. And each pot received is very full, with strong roots and with multiple stems per pot.
Positive OldOak
Greeneville, TN
May 21, 2017
I ordered a Button Bush and it arrived promptly, in great shape and the packaging was excellent!
Positive MarkinMo
St. Louis, MO,
United States
May 13, 2017
Ordered three Itea Virginica Henry Garnet. Well packed and in good shape. Order was processed and shipped promptly.
Positive hlibebe
St Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b)
June 9, 2016
Wonderful experience. Ordered two Annabell Hydrangea mid-March, and received them promptly within a few days. They were both healthy little stalks about 5-6" tall packed into a square container of dirt with news paper packed on top to keep the dirt in. I soaked them and placed them on the window sill until they could be planted. In about 2 or 3 days, both started budding new growth, and once planted they took off. :)

Of the two, one is doing very well and recently blossomed a beautiful cluster of flowers about 5" in diameter and is continuing to thrive. The second one unfortunately has been attacked by bugs down to the stalk (not the nursery's fault).

Looking forward to getting more plants from Niche Gardens.
Positive PhillyLover
Philadelphia Suburbs, PA (Zone 7a)
April 21, 2016
First time customer. Plants arrived on time and were packed properly and arrived in good condition. Plants were well rooted but the prices are a bit high on some items given the size of the plants. Would order more uncommon items from them in the future.
Positive SalviaFanatic5
Dover, DE
March 24, 2016
Posted on December 24, 2015, updated March 24, 2016
I was looking for a fragrant honeysuckle and mints and I wandered onto their website and was amazed at the selection of plants. Ordered Winter Honeysuckle and a few native mountain mints back in October. Everything was shipped fast. I\'m looking forward to next year and seeing how these plants do. I really liked the magazine that came with it. Beautiful cover.
On March 24th, 2016, SalviaFanatic5 added the following:

Everything I purchased is popping up and looking healthy. I can't wait to order more plants from these guys.
Positive Maece
Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5b)
November 17, 2015
They had Japanese Beautyberry and Winter Honeysuckle, both of which were on my want list but I couldn't locate them locally. Everything arrived in good condition, can't wait to see how they do next spring.
Positive rosada
Cedar Falls, IA (Zone 4b)
November 1, 2015
Very nice plant, well packaged.
Positive floria
Athens, GA (Zone 8a)
August 27, 2015
Posted on May 2, 2008, updated August 27, 2015
This is my first experience with Niche gardens. I ordered 6 gingers and they arrived in excellent shape. The packaging was incredible and completely environmentally friendly. I will definitely order from them again.
On August 27th, 2015, floria added the following:

Many years later, Niche Gardens is still excellent. Ordered 4 Hemerocallis Autumn Minaret (not easy to find). Meg contacted me to verify that it was not too hot here for planting at my requested date, which I really appreciated. They arrived perfectly packed, with wonderful root systems. Will definitely order again.
Positive annemod
Buffalo Grove, IL
July 10, 2015
I ordered 4 plants from Niche, after first emailing them about availability, and getting a prompt reply. The plants were mailed in a timely manner, and arrived very well-wrapped and looking healthy. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive sarahthering
New Albany, OH
July 2, 2015
I ordered 2 Autumn Minaret daylilies from Niche Gardens and 2 days later I received them! They are the largest plants I've received by mail, packed beautifully, and I couldn't be happier. Do not hesitate to order from Niche Gardens. I certainly will in the future.
Positive Leslieandkeith
Charlotte, NC
June 8, 2015
Plants we have ordered were all healthy and selection is great! Would order from them again-and will!
Positive nannyjanice
Cedar Bluff, AL
May 8, 2015
My first order arrived, packed nicely. One of the plants did not thrive as I expected, and after calling, I received a prompt replacement. The catalog is very nice, offering many different perennials. Continue the good work!
Positive heathershannon
Manteno, IL
April 25, 2015
Plants were in excellent condition. Packed well and came in a timely manner. I will be ordering from them again.
Positive bobbishelly
Middletown, DE
April 18, 2015
Niche unfailingly ships large healthy plants. If a plant fails to thrive it is replaced promptly without question. I have purchased from Niche for years and have never had a problem. Excellent company!
Positive vikkifinch
Mobile, AL
April 15, 2015
Love Niche Gardens. I am planting a new garden in a new/old house, and just received my spring order from them. The plants are healthy and BEAUTIFULLY and securely packed. So now I've sent in ANOTHER order. I have a crush on this nursery. Truly. Will order again!
Positive eminkler
Pawleys Island, SC (Zone 8a)
March 5, 2015
Niche Gardens certainly deserves their Watchdog Top 5 rating. Meg Sorrel worked with me with delivery dates several times since our weather was so bad here I couldn't begin to prepare my beds. She always responded promptly with a new date and said if that date didn't work I could change it again . My plants arrived today and they are beautiful. They were packed so well that not even small crumbs of dirt fell out of the pots. I will definitely order from Niche Gardens again. They have moved to the top of my list of companies from which to order.
Positive Auryla
Norfolk, VA
October 9, 2014
Love this company! First time I have ordered plants from them and will be doing so again in the future! Wonderful plants, good prices, and prompt shipping!
Positive tgiforever
New Bern, NC
August 25, 2014
Ordered two Red Star Hibiscus on-line, Both arrived within only three days, in excellent condition. Will use them again when I need other plants.
Positive memays
Atlanta, GA (Zone 8a)
August 13, 2014
I recently ordered some butterfly host plants from Niche to add to my butterfly garden. Plants arrived as scheduled and well packed. But Niche sent along a special bonus - a spicebush caterpillar!
Positive TonyC513
Baiting Hollow, NY,
United States
August 9, 2014
Aug. 4, 2014 My first order with Niche Gardens. The experiece was online plant shopping the way it should be. Communication was fabulous, my order arrived quickly and the plants were in A-1 condition. I will be ordering again.

Positive Feebs
Baton Rouge, LA
July 31, 2014
Package shipped & arrived on dates promised. Packaging was excellent - environmentally conscious packaging & not a leaf out of place or damaged. The plants were good quality and healthy. I will order from Niche again.
Positive Keyrad
Elizabethtown, KY
June 30, 2014
I have ordered plants from Niche for the past 3 years, they are very prompt and friendly, have great plants, and are very reasonable price wise.
Positive gingerbee1
Back Mountain, PA (Zone 5a)
May 7, 2014
Posted on March 9, 2014, updated May 7, 2014
I have been ordering from Niche gardens since 2013. It is like ordering from a friend they are so helpful and attentive. Always returning emails quickly. The plants are healthy and a good size for the price, they offer an excellent selection of natives too. I only wish they were within a quick drive from my home.
On May 7th, 2014, gingerbee1 added the following:

Once again, my order arrived carefully shipped and in great condition! I love this company
Positive lilwren
Brooksville, FL (Zone 9b)
May 1, 2014
This was my first time ordering with Niche Gardens and I was apprehensive, but I'm glad I did.

The two plants that I received were very strong and healthy mature plants. They were packed extremely well. Both were labeled professionally ... and with the correct names.

They were shipped out quickly and not damaged.

I thought $16 shipping and handling was high, but I would buy from them again if I really wanted a plant they had.
Positive colordiva
Amherst, MA
April 28, 2014
I'm a newbie with Niche. Their selections and prices looked good, and I ordered 3 plants. These arrived exactly when promised, were beautiful, and beautifully packed. I will order from Niche again!
Positive nerois5
Ramsey, NJ
April 25, 2014
I'm a first-timer with this company, and the the experience was very, very good. Plants arrived on time, of a good size and in great shape, and their packaging was excellent. Not one but two how-to-care-for sheets!
Will order from them again.
Positive Pinxter
Eminence, MO (Zone 6a)
February 21, 2014
I have ordered from Niche Gardens for at least 3 years. They carry an excellent selection of native azaleas, among other things. The plants are very healthy, and they pack orders with the utmost care. Meg and the other members of the team are
most helpful. I will continue to be a faithful customer.
Positive peterbm
Carrollton, VA (Zone 8a)
October 9, 2013
Placed an internet order over the weekend. Wanted to add a plant, so I called Monday. They were in the process of packing my order, and cheerfully said they could add the extra plants. Plants arrived the next day. Packing was good, condition of plants on arrival was good. Plants will be going into dormancy soon, so only time will tell how health the plants are and if they will emerge from dormancy in the spring, but I have the utmost faith that they will. I have bought plants from Niches before at their NC location and was pleased. All of those plants are still doing great.
Positive merryaustin
San Antonio, TX
September 22, 2013
Plants arrived quickly and were really well packed. They are growing like weeds (which they may actually be since they are verbena). Thank you for such great service.
Positive kimkid
Hilliard, OH
May 27, 2013
Ordered a fragrant honeysuckle vine from Niche a couple weeks ago. Their standards are so high, I really appreciated the care they took from all levels. They emailed me to let me know for the shipping cost I could add more to my order, they also had UPS send me an email regarding delivery... and the care they took wrapping up my plant for safe delivery was wonderful too! Upon receiving my plant there was a comment card (stamped), Unpacking and planting instructions, shipping notes and a catalog. No wonder they rate this high I will be using this company again in the near future!!!

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]