It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

The scoop on 'Easy to Grow Bulbs'

Easy to Grow Bulbs

Easy to Grow Bulbs has 635 products listed in PlantScout.

2521-A Oceanside Blvd
Oceanside, California 92054 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company specializes in:

Company Comment, posted on March 20, 2009:
Easy to Grow Bulbs offers bigger, better flower bulbs for gardeners in warm climates. Bulbs from Holland - the type most US gardening companies offer - are great, but there are gorgeous, easier care options for warm weather regions where plants' abilities to thrive in heat, and often drought, define gardening success.

In addition, cool weather adventurers who like exotic cultivars for summer plantings, sunrooms and greenhouses have fun with our selection. See us, too, for a wide selection of holiday amaryllis, paperwhites and flowering gifts, with bigger bulbs in quality containers at attractive prices.

Visit EasytoGrowBulbs.com for unusual varieties (plus some classics), bigger bulbs, personalized customer service and good value for your gardening dollar.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive DeliaDoll
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
November 15, 2017
I just do not know how much I can rave about the customer service I received. I have read the negatives and the 16, yes 16 times I have called about my order,cause I kept changing my mine. The young girl has been so helpful. She helped me on the soil temperature, the diffrent types of Amrylis and fruitilarias. She made sure that my order was complete also called me to make sure my address was spelled right. When I got my package it was packed so pretty ,like they really care so much about the bulbs making it safe to my home.Those Amrylis I got ,oh my they were big and so pretty and I can not wait for the flower to pop out. I guess being nice to folks they take care of you. I have recommended them to my garden girlfriends. I even got a facebook to follow them. Nice company,nice people ,great bulbs for both my plants well done on the packaging too. Thumbs up in my book.
Neutral mcsnail
Chicago, IL
October 24, 2017
Posted on October 24, 2017, updated October 24, 2017
Posted on October 17, 2017, updated October 24, 2017
Posted on October 16, 2017, updated October 17, 2017
I really feel odd writing a negative review of Easy to Grow Bulbs and I very much hope that I will be able to change it to positive soon and that I won’t have to seek out another vendor. I’ve happily shopped with them for a long time. I’ve also recommended them to A LOT of people—who asked where I got the spectacular blooming plants that I always brought as Christmas and hostess gifts or that made my apartment so welcoming in the long Chicago winter. Shipping was always prompt and accurate. Occasionally an amaryllis would bloom red when I ordered pink—but all I had to do was send a picture of the flower-along with my invoice and an even better pink bulb would be in the mail with a friendly note. I understand that there have been some horrendous natural disasters lately. The hurricanes in Texas, the wildfires in their own state. Yet, the most recent e-mail that I got from Easy to Grow Bulbs wasn’t a report of disaster and a plea for understanding on the part of their customers—but a promotion for the sale of Fall bulbs.

I ordered around $130 worth of bulbs and some live plants on August 29. I received an e-mail that explained that some live plants would ship immediately, Fall planted bulbs would ship in mid-September, and amaryllises would ship in mid-October. Very soon afterwards I received the tillandsia I had ordered—healthy and well packaged plants. I told a friend to hold off on buying Fall planting bulbs—and I would give her a portion of the ones I ordered when I came to visit in October. On Oct. 2 I e-mailed the company and inquired about my order. I got a prompt e-mail from Rachael with a shipping confirmation and tracking number. All seemed well. However, on October 13 I clicked on the tracking number and was informed that my bulbs had been received in WAILUKU, HI on October 6. I, unfortunately, live in Chicago. I immediately sent an e-mail and received an automatic reply stating that they “are currently experiencing exceptionally high volume of emails and phone calls” and to expect a reply “typically within 24 hours”. I initially thought that the company must be experiencing something unprecedented and terrible. Massive failure of their computer system? However, in the Garden Watchdog postings I see signs that service has been rather dramatically degenerating in the last year or so. I’ve been married to a small business man for 20 years and understand something about the difficulties that can plague small businesses—how easily one person’s illness or a small mistake can turn into a crisis. Still, I have been waiting for a response considerably longer than 24 hours. I think that it is important to respond promptly to customers who have received poor service with something other than an automatic reply—even if it’s just a personal assurance that their problem is acknowledged and will be addressed.

On October 17th, 2017, mcsnail changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I got a call from Rachael. Evidently, I was given someone else\\\'s tracking number--even though my order had not shipped. I was promised that my bulbs would ship now (a month after the stated shipping time). I like the company, the people, and the products--but I wonder if they have taken on more business than they are equipped for. During the time that I was waiting for a response about their mistake--and my $100 + order that seemed to have fallen into a black hole--I received 3 promotional e-mails from them--advertising new products and soliciting more business. It was a little annoying.
On October 24th, 2017, mcsnail added the following:

Well--I got some of the items I ordered in August. I am still missing two amaryllis and my order of daffodils. The lemon grass I bought was pretty skimpy--two small pale looking stalks (though to be fair it was not that expensive at $8) I was able to get some of the bulbs I promised to my friend in Michigan--but it\'s snowing where she is--so this isn\'t optimal. I also was a little annoyed that even though ETGB ships throughout the country--they do not provide zoning information. Further research showed me that the anemones I ordered are not suitable for zones 5/6 (Chicago). I should have researched before--but it would have been nice not to have had to. And I was annoyed--yes-- probably unreasonably--when I got a promotional e-mail from ETGB saying \"order your Fall planting bulbs before it\'s too late!\" Its pretty much too late for those bulbs I ordered in August which still haven\'t shipped. No doubt they are under pressure to sell those bulbs sent to them late by their vendors. But by jettisoning sensible communication with their customers they are going to annoy those customers--whether reasonably or not. I\'ve ordered some bulbs from Van Engelen. I\'ll see how that works.
On October 24th, 2017, mcsnail added the following:

My bad--ETGB DOES give zoning info--Its just a little buried. You have to click the 'details' tab.
Negative lbsowen
Black Diamond, WA
October 23, 2017
I just want to say "ditto" to all the negative comments below. My order is way overdue, there appears to be no way to contact someone there. All normal ways from the website to contact them result in no response (emailing them) or in phoning them a stock recorded message that has been on there for months. I'm truly concerned I have lost my money to them.
Negative Greeneme
Murfreesboro, TN
October 21, 2017
I would strongly discourage someone from ordering from this company. The customer service is basically non-existent and you'll be left wondering if you'll ever even receive the items you ordered. I placed an order of about 6 irises and 20 tulip bulbs on Sept. 24. In the confirmation email, it said that I'd be notified when my items shipped. It also implied that the items I'd ordered would likely be shipped soon. Well, it's been about a month and I've received no shipping update and no delivery. I've emailed the company twice and called twice, but only got voicemail, so I left two voicemail messages. The only response I've gotten from the company at all is an email saying that they're processing a refund for one iris (no explanation why) and a second automated email about how busy they are and they'll respond as soon as possible (that was over a week ago). Not only am I now wondering if I'll ever receive what I paid for, but I'm furious at the utter lack of communication and failure to respond to customer concerns. Additionally, I used a prepaid MasterCard gift card to make my purchase, but once I'd used the balance on the card, I threw the giftcard away. So any refund that's made cannot be put back on a card I don't have. I explained this in both a voicemail and an email, but still I've received absolutely no response. Also, it's getting too late in the season to even plant the irises I ordered and expect them to thrive. That's something else I mentioned in my email, but again, no response whatsoever. I am EXTREMELY disappointed with this entire experience. I'd been very excited to order those items, but now I definitely wish I had used a different company and I very much regret my "purchase" (if that's what you can call paying money but not receiving anything in return). Caveat emptor!!!
Positive Tangerin
Fremont, CA
October 18, 2017
Posted on October 18, 2017, updated October 18, 2017
Posted on October 5, 2017, updated October 18, 2017
Posted on October 4, 2017, updated October 5, 2017
I used to love this store because they are in California; they ship late in fall and early in spring; and they carry some bulbs/plants for warm weather that are hard to find in other places.

But I have experienced bad customer service with them for my recent order. I placed the order in August, which is supposed to ship in mid-September. It was not shipped yet in October. Then I would like to add two items to the original order and a person named Rachel replied that I have to pay a separate full shipping charge, although they are just combining the items with my previous order and shipping them together. I followed up and asked why they need to charge a full shipping fee and got no reply. Today I asks them to cancel my original order so that I can place a new one with the two extra items. Guess what did they do? 20min after I request canceling the order, they shipped it and told me it can not be cancelled.

Well maybe I should be happy because my bulbs are finally shipped?

Anyway I will try my best not to deal with this company anymore, and to tell friends about their bad services.
On October 5th, 2017, Tangerin changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Well there are more stories for this order. After checking the tracking number Rachael sent me, I found that it might not be my order (I live in California, the package is sent to Georgia). I called them and after talking to two representatives, they finally found that my order was not shipped at all. Then they finally agreed to add the two items to my original order without charging extra shipping fee.

What if I did not call them? I may never receive anything I paid for.

So the bottom line is that they sell decent bulbs and flowers. But their customer service system seems to be a mess. Be careful when you buy from them and hopefully you are lucky enough to receive your order.
On October 18th, 2017, Tangerin changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

And the drama goes on...
After more than one month\'s delay on the shipping of my order, I got an email saying that an amaryllis in my order was refunded \'as I asked\'. I never asked them to cancel anything in my original order, though. But I figured that it might be just because it is no longer available. So I decided not to bother the customer service people about it and just accept the bad news, while praying the rest of my order can be shipped soon.
But they were not.
I waited for one more week without any update and it is getting quite late in the season, even for California. I emailed but never got reply. I called and the phone was not picked up. After trying it again and again for 3 days I finally got a chance to talk to Rachael, who checked my order and told me it was not shipped because one item was back ordered. Wait, didn\'t you just cancelled the amaryllis b/c it was back ordered? Why couldn\'t you do the same thing now and get the rest of the order out of the door? Why didn\'t you ever contact me to explain the situation and let me decide whether to wait or cancel? As I have said twice above, their customer service is a terrible mess now. Based on this fact I would not expect their plants to hold the high quality as they were.
That\'s sad. I do have plans to order more things from them for the coming spring. Now I have to look for substitutions.
On October 18th, 2017, Tangerin changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I finally received my bulbs after this 'war'. The bulbs are in good condition. And they include some bonus alliums. I also got a phone call from their owner explaining the issue and apologized. While I did not take their offer of some free bulbs, I feel glad that they do have people who really cares about the business. As a gardener on the west coast I'm always desperately seeking for suppliers that really understand our special climate. When I found Easy to grow bulbs I was so happy: 'This is the place! I don't need to search anymore.' Hope their could keep their high quality of both products and services in the future.
Positive rileyamaryllis
Oceanside, CA
October 9, 2017
I've been ordering from Easy to Grow Bulbs for over ten years and have had nothing but positive experiences. I'm an expert gardener and they have the biggest amaryllis bulbs Ive ever seen, I wouldn't get them from anywhere else. I thought I would try another company and the bulbs they sent me were whimpy and sad, I guess I learned my lesson.

I'm always impress with the kindness and thoroughness of their customer service, shout out to Dena and Rachel for your help with my cannas last spring! I'm surprised to read some of these reviews saying the customer service has gone down. I just placed a large order like I do every year, and a few of the things came a little later than expected because of hurricane Harvey in texas. I placed a quick call to Rachel, she was sympathetic and looked up my order to see when it would be shipping, it turns out it had already shipped and arrived the next day. A few reviews mentioned that their stuff was late, well yeah of course this is a devastating national tragedy their is nothing Easy to Grow Bulbs can do about it. You have to take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt I guess.

You have a customer for life over here and I tell everyone I can about your company. Thank you for the selection and bulbs you offer
Negative Jean6a
Chesterton, IN
September 6, 2017
I've ordered hundreds of dollars worth of bulbs over the years, and have two very negatives to report about their customer service.

In fall of 2016, I ordered Lachenalia 'Rosabeth' but was sent 'African Beauty', which I discovered in Jan, 2017. I emailed and was told I would receive a credit on my account. I forgot about it until just after I'd finished placing another order on March 31. I emailed and asked for a credit in the amount I'd paid for the bulbs. I was told it was too late as I'd already placed the order and they couldn't issue a credit retroactively.

The most recent was about two Alstroemerias I ordered this past spring. They were very small with yellowed foliage and soggy root systems. I wrote to them immediately, including photos. I was told that I was to grow them on and they should improve. They did recover, but I felt they should immediately offered replacements, as, for I paid $9.95 plus shipping for each of them--a price I paid for
a fully-grown plant at a local nursery.

BTW, I still haven't received a credit for the Lachenalia.
Company representative comment on September 8, 2017:
On Sep 8, 2017 2:06 PM, Easy to Grow Bulbs responded with:

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear of your troubles and have checked into this matter. I understand the credit was processed recently. Our old system prevented us from issuing a store credit and we had to be notified beforehand to process. Thankfully we are now on a much better platform that easily allows us to make adjustments right away. My apologies for the miscommunication and frustration. Please do let me know if I can help further.

Very Best Regards,

Dena Grange
dena@easytogrowbulbs.com

Positive gardenererin
Belgium, WI
August 1, 2017
Posted on August 1, 2017, updated August 1, 2017
I ordered two packs of three \"Labyrinth\" dahlias in January. they arrived in spring and have just started blooming. Unfortunately they are not Labyrinth, not even close. I understand that mistakes happen, but when I ordered multiple packages, it\'s odd that they were both wrong (and both the same wrong). I wrote to the company about a week ago asking for a refund and have received no response. I\'ll leave this as a neutral review for now because I understand that they may not have a lot of staff at this time of year, but I certainly hope I\'ll be getting a call or email back soon as obviously this is a rather large problem. Summers are short here and it\'s such a bummer when a garden design is screwed up because you received the wrong plants.
On August 1st, 2017, gardenererin changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Posting a neutral review here seemed to help the process, or perhaps draw attention to the email I had previously sent. Dena was very apologetic about the problem with my dahlias, which is appreciated, and refunded my money for the tubers (not the original shipping costs, but I feel that's understandable). I appreciate the effort. Things don't always go right with orders and that's regrettable but I appreciate when companies work to make things right.
Negative DKS17
Shawnee Mission, KS
July 19, 2017
Worst experience with a nursery in 35 years of gardening. Final straw was when the yellow dahlias i ordered bloomed red. Clearly the wrong dahlias, yet when I asked for a refund was given only a credit. I would not make any further purchases from Easy to Grow Bulbs, so a credit is not of value. I paid for a particular dahlia, didn't receive it (among other problems), and the nursery won't refund my money.
Positive lorrizeravsky
Bath, PA
June 10, 2017
I shop for flowers and bulbs fairly often, and am often disappointed with the results of my purchases online..

.after reading review Dave's watchdog, I bought bulbs and seeds from this company... dahlias, phlox, and several others....
. I received my items quickly, and am thrilled to be able to say that every bulb I received has come up and is growing nicely!!! would recommend highly.
Negative bleepy
West Islip, NY
May 30, 2017
Posted on September 17, 2016, updated May 30, 2017
Posted on August 30, 2016, updated September 17, 2016
As an experienced gardener I am surprised at all of the positive reviews when my experience has been so disappointing.
One week ago I sent the company an email after trying to call during business hours and getting voicemail. So far I\\\'ve gotten no response. Guess I wasted my over $50. As I told them of the 4 products that I received none were satisfactory; Alocasia - months after planting just a small plant and it is a tropical here so no sense in digging up for next year. Canna\\\'s- bought two for my neighbor who is known in the neighborhood for his canna and alocasia displays. Two types, no blooms. Iris- this a pink re-bloomer but didn\\\'t bloom once-maybe next year? And finally Crocosmia- I should have know by how dried up the bulbs looked but not a single one came up.
I have purchased lots of plants online and I\\\'ve never had such a negative experience.

On September 17th, 2016, bleepy changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Have a few missed phone calls between myself and the very nice company representative, they issued a refund of all of the items that I had a issue with. I should note that I didn\'t ask for that, they did it on their own. Nice.
On May 30th, 2017, bleepy changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I can now speak about the one reamaining item on my order the Pink Reblooming Iris It did bloom this year and not only is it not pink it's a muddy kind of a peach tinted beige color. Ugly. So not one item on my order performed as expected. The worst products I've ever received from any gardening supplier.
Company representative comment on September 2, 2016:
On Sep 2, 2016 10:02 AM, Easy to Grow Bulbs responded with:

We are so very sorry for the poor experience here! We contacted this customer within 2 hours of this review being posted. We sent the following email, and then telephoned the next day and left a message. We have not heard back, though I do hope we will... The refund for the crocosmia has been processed, and we would very much like to work on the other items to ensure the customer is fully satisfied.
--------------------------------------
This is the email we sent:
Dear [Removed for customer's privacy],

I have just read your negative review on Daves Garden. I am so terribly sorry for such a frustrating experience! My sincere apologies!

As you have noted - we have an excellent reputation in the industry for fast and personal customer service - and that reputation has been years in the making, and having customers like you essentially be ignored is not the way to keep that reputation.

A number of issues came together to create a "perfect storm" of sorts that had simply buried our Customer Service representative. Sadly, before we were able to bring on additional help, some e-mails and phone calls went unanswered for crazy long times. This should never have happened to a single customer, and I am sorry that it did. And so sorry you were caught up in it.

I understand that you will not be shopping with us again, but I do want to at least handle this last transaction the way it should have been handled from the beginning.

If your reblooming bearded iris is healthy and well rooted in, I am sure you will enjoy multiple blooms throughout the seasons for years to come. However, like many long-lived plants, they do need that settling in time before they begin to bloom well. Please be sure to have the top of the rhizome exposed above the soil to ensure best blooming.

I am terribly sorry to hear the crocosmia were in poor condition when they were sent to you. Sadly, at this late date, I do not have replacements to send to you. Did yours never grow, or have they not yet bloomed? They should all be growing well for you given the time they have had. It sounds like we should provide a refund for you on these.

The cannas – have they grown, but no blooms? That is odd – I would love to help you to trouble shoot them, but it sounds like they were a gift for a neighbor? I can well appreciate your frustration!

The colocasia sounds like we should discuss – while that is a tropical, you should be able to dig and store and re-plant it for a beautiful display every year. If you have a brightly lit location indoors – it can be a magnificent house plant for the fall and winter. I am wondering if you have had excessive heat this summer? Or possibly excessive rain? I am just trying to understand your atypical experiences with these plants. Is the colocasia in a container or in the ground? I would love to help you with this, so you can enjoy this lovely plant.

[Removed], I would like to have our customer service representative call you tomorrow – will that work for you? And I would like to follow up with you to be certain this is handled for you. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

I am embarrassed by the way this was not handled for you, and I honestly appreciate your bringing this to our attention.

Please let me know how I can assist you with the colocasia and any information you can provide would be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Kathleen McCarthy
--------------------------------------
We remain hopeful the customer will reply so that we can better assist with this very disappointing situation.

Negative avlgal
Asheville, NC
May 18, 2017
Some of the bulbs were quite small and definitely not 'clumps' as stated. When called about the issue, it took me 3 times to get it resolved with my own suggestion of a credit, when they could have easily done that in the first call in 5 minutes. I had to send photos too. A hassle, won't be ordering from them again.
Positive esedgwick
Tallahassee, FL
May 15, 2017
Posted on April 6, 2017, updated May 15, 2017
I can\'t speak as to the quality of the plants or bulbs yet, but it\'s been a frustrating experience so far. I placed an order March 1st, and received an email saying the order would be shipped March 13th. March 21st with no further word, I emailed for an update, and received a prompt response that the order would ship March 23rd. March 31st, I emailed again, asking if there would be a shipping confirmation - and received a prompt response that there would be a shipping confirmation, but with no indication of when the revised shipping date was. I responded asking for a new estimate shipping date and received no response. Recently, I emailed again, and have received no response. So now (April 6) it is five weeks after the order, three weeks after the original shipping date and two weeks after the revised shipping date and they seem to just be ignoring emails.
When I ordered, I didn\'t expect the company to get the order out immediately, and I can understand that spring is probably their busy season, but if a business gives estimates - or, in the case of the second email, a firm shipping date - then it should certainly make every effort to comply, or at least proactively provide updates.

On May 15th, 2017, esedgwick changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Very shortly after posting the above comments, I received an email letting me know the order had been delayed due to a back-ordered item that was overdue from their supplier. I was told the back-ordered item would be cancelled and refunded, and the balance of the order shipped. The plants arrived fairly soon thereafter, but the refund took a month and two additional emails from me.
The bulbs and plants were in good shape overall, and of decent size for the price. Several of the rain lilies have bloomed already, within just a few weeks of being planted. My only complaint on quality was that the cardiocrinum was potted in peat moss, and rotted within a few weeks of arrival. But I take partial responsibility for this, since I should have planted it out or repotted into better draining soil immediately.
On balance, while the communication was a bit frustrating, in rating the company I basically ask myself whether I would order from them again, and the answer is yes - they have some hard to find items at good prices and friendly, if somewhat spotty, customer service.
Neutral Shane_Wilson09
Waxahachie, TX
April 16, 2017
I am a beginning gardener. I bought ~$100 in bulbs from Easytogrowbulbs in two orders. Orders were shipped fairly fast.

Quality: So far so good. Crocosmia, Guernsey, Crinum, Peacock Orchid, Dwarf Glads all have 90-100% sprouting. Only 1 Oxblood has a sprout, but they are supposed to be dormant during summer so thats ok. The Rain Lilys are not coming up very well. I planted them along a large bed edge and have ~10/60 up so far.

Price: I wished i had looked around because this company is not very competitive. The week after i got my order i bought a bag of 28 Peacock Orchid from Lowes for $6.95. Compare that to 10 for $5.95 that i bought from ETGB. The bulbs from Lowes had a few smaller bulbs but still had 18-20 the size of ETGB. Glads were cheaper at Lowes as well.
Positive zimjess
Marianna, FL
April 4, 2017
Posted on March 31, 2017, updated April 4, 2017
My only experience here is with passiflora. For the price you pay here, you would expect to get stronger looking plants. If I have the choice, I will order passiflora from AlmostEden first and foremost. Those were the healthiest looking passiflora I have gotten, strong, thick vines. The ones from EasyToGrowBulbs come spindly with spotted, holes leaves that look to be dying. I made two orders, first as a test order, a Betty Myles Young and Lambiekins, with standard shipping. When they came in looking awful, I sent an e-mail to the company explaining this, and was told this happens with shipment. Well, the 2nd order I paid for 2-day shipping to see if it made any change. Nope, the same. The plants don\'t just become so pitiful with a couple of days in a box because I have received other passiflora that looked fantastic from other companies through the mail. The health of the plants to begin with comes into question. Aside from this, none of these plants have come packed well - bent and torn leaves, bent and broken vines, soil tossed around. When they are pulled out, there is an appearance of them being mashed together. Some of them look like they will recover enough to quickly put out new growth, but a few of them have such thin vines that most of the growth has broken off and looks like it will be very slow to come back. One of these, passiflora \'Aragorn\' has such a cracked base that it most likely will never be healthy even if it manages to live - it already has yellowed leaves and lack of vibrance. Another, Constance Elliot was bent and split from the packing. I did e-mail photos to the company but have heard nothing back. Initially, I was shocked to see online prices of passiflora, and yes this company has competitive prices with the others out there, as well as more variety. But I do expect healthy plants and overall I have not experienced that from this company.
On April 4th, 2017, zimjess changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

The owner of EasyToGrowBulbs, Jim just gave me a very gracious call wanting to fix the issues I had with my order. Because of this, I have changed my rating from negative to positive and will consider ordering from them in the future. Jim was very concerned that he do whatever he could to make me a happy customer, which definitely leaves an impression on me. We agreed on a partial refund that was very satisfactory to me.
Positive PixilationZone
West Grove, PA
April 1, 2017
I ordered a small number of Allium Bulgaricum bulbs from Easy to Grow Bulbs though Amazon.com this past February.

Less than a week later I received a package of narcissus bulbs from ETGB. I thought it was odd, as I didn't remember ordering any narcissus bulbs, and (I hate to admit it, but) I hadn't noticed that the bulbs I ordered from Amazon were sold by ETGB. I had received a gift of ETGB bulbs from a friend a few months previously, and I thought maybe she had sent me another lovely gift out of the blue.

I put them aside, still in the opened box, thinking I'd save them for Easter time.

A day or so after that, I began to wonder when my allium bulbs were going to arrive. Then it clicked. Sort of. I checked the ETGB box again and actually read the invoice. It had someone else's name and address! So, I hadn't received a gift from my friend.

Well, hmmmm...I'd ordered from ETGB a few years ago. Maybe there was a glitch in their computer system and my name & address had been accidentally plucked from the archives and substituted on the address label for that of the rightful purchaser of the narcissus bulbs.

I contacted the company to let them know they'd sent me an order meant for someone else. I still had not figured it out!

A very pleasant ETGB CS rep replied within 24 hours, thanking me for letting them know. She then asked me if I had placed an order and if I'd received it. Wow--only then did it really click! I checked my Amazon order and confirmed the connection.

ETGB told me to keep the narcissus bulbs and said they'd get my order out to me right away. Two days later my allium bulbs arrived.

OK, so, yes, they screwed up. I assume the other customer received my order and invoice, as well. But ETGB fixed the problem in a professional manner and ASAP. After checking to make sure there was no credit card info on the invoice, I figured all's well that ends well.

I decided not to wait for Easter. The narcissus bulbs are blooming beautifully and fragrantly now, which is what made me think to write this review.
Neutral no_regrets
San Diego, CA
February 24, 2017
Posted on March 17, 2008, updated February 24, 2017
As a resident of North/inland San Diego, it\'s not always easy to know which bulbs will grow in my climate. I ran across easytogrowbulbs.com and thought, \"perfect, someone who\'s local!\"

I\'ve placed 3 orders to date with this company and have always been happy. Their bulbs are definitely bigger than anything you could ever find in a big box store, and the prices you pay are low considering what you get. Place an order of $50 or more and they\'ll even throw in an adventure pack to appeal to your risk-taking side. Shipping is very affordable -- especially in this day and age when you can easily pay more on shipping than an order -- and everything always arrives in good condition with instructions.

There was one time when my order didn\'t ship when I expected and my email was answered very promptly with an explanation on the delay, and the box arrived without fail within a few weeks. I\'ve only ordered bulbs so far, but just placed an order for some potted reblooming iris and have nothing but high expectations.

Some of my bulbs have been chomped by gophers, but of those that haven\'t, everything is growing beautifully. An all-white bed I planted last fall with calla lilies, anemone, and Leucojum is now going insane. I have never had such success with any planting before.
On February 24th, 2017, no_regrets changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I am a very faithful customer of Easy to Grow Bulbs, and place an order of ~$100 at least twice a year. Over time, I've noticed their prices have gone up, the quality of their products has declined slightly, and shipping costs are no longer competitive. I understand the cost of shipping is beyond their control, but somehow, it seems that there are many other bulb companies out there who are managing somehow. Longfield, for example, offers free shipping with a $50 order (even though their product prices are a bit higher). Easy to Grow Bulbs offers free shipping with a $125+ order, and I remember it used to be less. I used to be bowled over by the diversity and quality of Easy to Grow Bulbs, but not so much anymore; it is still very good, vastly better than the big box stores, but just not as great as it used to be. Sometimes the bulbs arrive a little old, already sprouting and sometimes mushy; the bearded iris rhizomes used to be the size of softballs, with 3+ fans, and are now more like a piece of ginger root. And the prices are up. Not by a ton, but between the combination of the more mediocre product, higher prices, and shipping rates, I've found myself diversifying a bit more when it comes to my bulb purchases.
Positive nitzi1944
Kings Park, NY (Zone 7a)
December 17, 2016
A great company to deal with. Fast shipping and well packaged bulbs!
Negative GardenManDonald
GLENSHAW, PA (Zone 5a)
December 2, 2016
Something has changed with this company and not for the better. This year's cannas didn't look good when received and performed poorly. Other items were similarly disappointing. Emails to company produced no response. Will not order from them again.
Company representative comment on December 3, 2016:
On Dec 3, 2016 5:36 PM, Easy to Grow Bulbs responded with:

We are so sorry to hear of this terrible experience. I have searched our records for a customer in this city and state with cannas and have been unable to locate the order or customer here. So within 2 hours of the negative review being posted, we reached out to the reviewer with the following email:
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

My name is Kathleen, and I work for Easy to Grow Bulbs.

I was so sorry to learn of your very poor experience with our cannas this season, and with the customer support! While we always want the bulbs and plants to flourish for our customers, I can accept that occasionally something goes awry with the plant. But there is simply no excuse for a lack of response from Customer Service.

I have brought your review to the attention of the head of our Customer Service, Dena, and she has hunted through our orders and her email correspondence to try to locate a trace of what you have described, and we have not been able to track it down. Would you please provide your name or your email address or order number? I would like to look into this further and have Dena contact you about this issue.

I do understand that you won't be doing business with us again - and I respect that. But I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to at least make this last experience right for you in any way that we can. As much as I hate to hear there was a problem, I am so grateful that you took the time to provide the feedback so that we can make it right and learn to provide better service in the future.

Thanks so much for your time. I do hope I will hear back from you!

Have a lovely weekend!

Kathleen

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I very much hope the customer will contact us so we can make this right.
Kathleen

Positive 4015PLM
Vincentown, NJ
August 25, 2016
Early in June, I placed an order with Easy Grow Bulbs for a Passiflora Hybrid "Betty Miles Young". When I placed my order, I asked what would be the best way to plant this Passion Flower and Christina told me to get a large pot to plant it in because of the zone in which I live The plant arrived in great condition. I planted it and placed the pot near a fence. The plant has gown beautifully and I now have 38 buds on it in various stages of development. I also purchased a "Chicago Fig Tree" which produced delicious figs this year. I am so pleased with Easy Grow bulbs their quality plants, service and the information provided by Christina. I will definitely be placing orders again.
Neutral mwieder
Beachwood, OH
June 28, 2016
Ordered over $100 worth of bulbs from them.
The bulbs themselves were OK. The Glads, Ginger and Dahlias were great, only about half of the Caladiums sprouted and the cannas were a disaster. I could tell upon receipt the cannas were no good - they had shipped tony bulbs that had no chance to survive the transport. They said they don't have any replacements available so now I have to wait a year for them, which is very disappointing.

The "bonus bulbs" they sent were a waste - they mixed together two different kinds of tiny "bulbs" in the same package and it couldn't be determined which was which to know what I was planting out. The amount they sent was half of a package they usually sell for $10. Don't expect anything useful with the bonus.

Positive AaronBaldwin
Juneau, AK
April 21, 2016
First of all I want to state that I believe that the true test of a company is not when things go perfectly but when they go wrong. And on this Easy to Grow Bulbs has exceeded all expectations!

A few weeks ago I ordered an Amorphophallus bulbifer rhizome. Shipping was prompt and communication was great. However, when the rhizome arrived it was covered in mold, and one side was very soft. I was extremely disappointed and was anticipating further difficulty. I immediately emailed them and explained (this was the weekend).

On Monday morning I had a reply, a very nice apology from Christina and a promise to send out a replacement. I assumed I would have to mail back the bad one, but she assured me I needed to just throw it away and another would be in the mail soon. So today the replacement arrived, with another very nice apology (not even necessary, Christina, I could not be happier!).

I would not hesitate to order from this company again, nor would I hesitate to recommend them to my friends. They did a great job with this. Mistakes happen, but good companies make it right and this what Easy to Grow Bulbs did!
Positive Plantmania_216
Marietta, OH
April 17, 2016
I have ordered from this company several times and been very pleased with the customer service, size of the bulbs, and plant performance every time! I just received and planted this year's order. The bulbs were large and healthy, and I'm looking forward to a beautiful garden this year! Great company to order from!
Positive orangetriangle
Little Silver, NJ
April 15, 2016
I ordered about 40 amaryllis bulbs in March to be used as baby shower favors. (a mix of appleblossom and pink pizzazz). The bulbs are gorgeous, fat, and healthy. It is obvious they were grown and selected with care. The shower was on March 20th and many of the attendees are already posting pictures of their amaryllis is full bloom. I highly recommend Easy to Grow Bulbs, especially if you need to buy in bulk for a party or shower. This ended up being the best favor I could have used since the celebration continues after the party is over.
Negative tturner16
North Hollywood, CA (Zone 10a)
March 22, 2016
I placed an order in mid Feb and received an email saying it would ship the week of March 7th. It did not ship.

I followed up on March 10th via email to ask when my order would ship and received a very prompt response (much appreciated):

"Hello,

Thank you for checking in! Just received a few thousand bulbs this week and we just about have everything! There are a few items that we are still packing for immediate shipment. We appreciate your patience! We totally understand wanting to get started earlier due to the mild temperatures, the wait for your spring bulbs is almost over! Be on the lookout for your tracking information via email.

Many Thanks,"

Forward to March 19th and still no indication of shipment, so I followed up once again via email to find out the status of my order. I'm very disappointed to say that I have not even received a response and at this point I'm very concerned if I'll even receive my order.

I placed my order with this company because of the positive reviews on this site and have noticed other people receiving their orders, so...what's going on???
Company representative comment on March 25, 2016:
On Mar 25, 2016 4:35 PM, Easy to Grow Bulbs responded with:

We are so terribly sorry for the delay in communication and in shipping this customer experienced!

I contacted her via D-Mail within an hour of the review being posted to both explain the weird circumstances that led to this terrible delay, as well as to assure her that I would take charge of her order personally. I gave my name, direct e-mail and direct phone number so that I could address any additional questions.

Within 12 hours, we shipped her order, and she received it the following day. I have attempted to follow up via D-Mail, email and by phone, hoping to learn the order arrived safely.

Strange weather across the country have vastly delayed many harvests, and our customer service rep has been simply buried. This is NO excuse to ever leave a customer in the dark, and we are working over time with new people brought on board to handle all of the communication.

It is our sincere desire to ensure each customer feels valued and appreciated, and clearly we missed the mark here.

I had hoped with the direct response that I provided, the customer might update her review, but hopefully she is just too busy enjoying the new bulbs and plants in her garden.

Thank you, tturner16, for giving me the opportunity to make this right for you.

Best wishes, everyone for a beautiful spring!

Sincerely,
Kathleen McCarthy

Positive ClematisKev
Mcdonough, GA
March 11, 2016
Posted on March 10, 2016, updated March 11, 2016
Ordered snail vine last week. In two days I got an email showing shipped with tracking #
Not bad for peak season! Projected delivery Thur came Wed. With over 15 years of mail order gardening I can honestly say I never received a more beautiful plant. Ordered Vigna Caracalla that came well rooted and very well branched in a 5x5 pot packed quite nicely (not a single broken stem). Longest stem is 16\"!
On March 11th, 2016, ClematisKev added the following:

We've all seen mail order nurseries where the shipping cost is as much or more than the plant...really! They are packed no better than this vendos plants and sometimes worse! Shipping is obviously not a profit center for ETGB. Shipping is very reasonsble here (as fair as I've seen). Also, for that one plant you absolutely have to have you can order individual plants unlike others who say "you want one, sorry but you'll have to buy three".
Positive laslo6071
Las Vegas, NV
March 9, 2016
I live in Las Vegas, NV where Spring arrives early, it is short and if you do not plant before the desert heat arrives your newly planted items burn out. Easy To Grow Bulbs went way beyond the best customer service I ever experienced to facilitate my order and kept me informed at every step. I am most grateful for their efforts. They have interesting bulbs providing year round colors to the garden like ARUM ITALICUM and the hard to find LILY OF THE VALLEY GROUND COVER. Their prices are reasonable. In addition they are sending me a pack of free bulbs, no idea what they are but I love surprises! No question about it, I will be a returning customer!
Marianne Laslo
Positive Dahlia1211
Englewood, CO
March 8, 2016
I live in Colorado with a short growing season, so I like to start my plants indoors. All the other websites were willing to send my begonia tubers earlier than was appropriate for this zone (if they had some available) for and expedited price. Easy to Grow Bulbs sent them right away with no additional charge. They were here in 2 days, and they look great. I'll order from them again.
Positive CAndersen
Apple Valley,
United States
March 4, 2016
Posted on March 1, 2016, updated March 4, 2016
Posted on March 1, 2016, updated March 1, 2016
Posted on April 4, 2015, updated March 1, 2016
I give Easy to Grow Bulbs a high rating on customer service and very good quality products.
I\\\\\\\'ve ordered Belladonnas, day lily, ranunculus, bearded iris, Dutch iris. My day lily \\\\\\\"Rocket City\\\\\\\" turned out be something else. My Dutch iris turned out to be something else. My Tennison Ridge bearded iris is in bud right now but looking very yellow, again it\\\\\\\'s something else. I ordered it back in Oct of 2013 and this will be the 1st year blooming.
I have not contacted them on Tennison Ridge. I hate to be a pest! But on all other things that went wrong they have been polite and willing to correct the mistakes. They sent me 2 Rocket City day lily for one wrong one but I can\\\\\\\'t report on those two until they bloom. I can\\\\\\\'t order from them again because I want what I order. Whoever is packing items is doing a horrible job. If they are getting their products from other sources that are making the mistakes they need to find other sources because it\\\\\\\'s very disappointing as a customer to order something and get something else. The belladonnas are doing well but haven\\\\\\\'t bloomed yet for being disturbed. They may take a few years. I\\\\\\\'m hoping they are what I ordered.
On March 1st, 2016, CAndersen changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Update on Dutch Iris Golden Giant, looks like Apollo. Still waiting for Dutch Iris Rosario to bloom. After two growing seasons trying to get it right I think they need to remove Golden Giant as something available to order.
On March 1st, 2016, CAndersen changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

On March 4th, 2016, CAndersen changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

To make up for the mishap they sent me bearded iris, very nice of them to do that! They try their best to please their customers.
Positive graceofagarden
Colorado Springs, CO
January 11, 2016
I am the garden manager for the Horticultural Art Society Public Gardens in Colorado Springs. I ordered 300 Daffodils from them - and wow! They were the biggest, most beautiful bulbs I have ever seen. So happy I have found this company. Plan on ordering some peonies shortly - not only for my work garden, but also for my home. Very, very pleased.
Positive rdtjr05
Franklin, TN
December 11, 2015
Posted on October 22, 2015, updated December 11, 2015
Order quickly and accurately fulfilled and shipped. Excellent quality - all bulbs good-sized and very firm with no sprouting. Threw in a free package of white chionodoxa. Will order from them again next year.
On December 11th, 2015, rdtjr05 added the following:

Update on the "amaryllis" bulbs. The La Paz is blooming with two stalks. I am especially pleased that the papilio is also sending up two stalks as these can be shy to bloom right away.
Positive cbelle
Bloomfield, CT
November 13, 2015
I am having a party in December and wanted to have paperwhites blooming in time for them to be centerpieces for the tables. I wasn't sure exactly when I should order them so that they would be blooming in time, so I emailed Easy to Grow Bulbs. They responded to my email immediately, and told me that I could order the bulbs that day, and they would ship them so that I could plant them at the appropriate time for them to be blooming at the party.

The bulbs arrived exactly on the correct date for me to plant them. And, the bulbs are huge! I didn't realize until after I had ordered from them that their paperwhite bulbs are the highest quality and size. I've never seen paperwhite bulbs this large! They started rooting in just 1 day from planting.

I am very impressed with the excellent customer service and quality of the product. I will definitely order from them again!
Positive weedsfree
Magna, UT (Zone 7a)
November 11, 2015
Posted on November 4, 2015, updated November 11, 2015
I too am a first time customer. I have been watching for a good price on the butterfly amaryllis for a few years. I just decided to take the plunge and buy one from them this year. The bulb is very much alive and healthy it seems. Prices are good considering the size of bulb I received. Shipping is fast and reasonable too.
On November 11th, 2015, weedsfree added the following:

I didn't get my bulb potted as quickly as I would have liked, though it was still within the same week I received it. The very next day of potting my bulb, it started to grow 2 leaves! They are still growing too. I am very satisfied. THANKS!
Positive VA_GARDEN
Hood, VA (Zone 7a)
October 24, 2015
First time customer, and very pleased with the service and the quality of the bulbs I received. I only wish I had found their site earlier in the season. Many of the unusual bulbs I wanted to order were sold out. I will definitely be ordering earlier next year.
Positive chicomorales
st maarten,
Netherlands Antilles
October 20, 2015
Great company great service and great prices!
Positive vitz
July 14, 2015
ordered twice from this company in late spring/early summer. both orders arrived, promptly, flawlessly, w/ all items healthy and true to my order. going to be the alternative to 'the hosta farm' when their 'fall bulbs' come into stock. ordered hostas, astilbes, butterfly bush, chicago fig, honeysuckle,- all are doing stupendously
Positive haireecat
Bogart, GA
June 23, 2015
This past spring I ordered 2 Antioch hostas, 2 Concertina bearded irises, plus 2 of the Bicolor Butterfly Bushes. All plants arrived well packaged, with no damage. Shipping was quick. Since then all plants are growing great! I did run into a problem, though......when the butterfly bush bloomed, I realized it wasn't a Bicolor. I had been sent two Lavender ones, and they had been mismarked. I contacted the company, and they were wonderful to work with. Dena was very quick to respond, and after seeing the picture of my blooms, assured me I wasn't imagining things. She immediately sent two replacement Bicolors. Fantastic service, Dena was just a peach to talk to, and I can't wait to place more orders!
Positive RBKB444
Lansing, MI (Zone 5b)
June 10, 2015
Posted on June 9, 2015, updated June 10, 2015
Posted on May 30, 2014, updated June 9, 2015
After several failed experiences with rooting plumeria cuttings I decided to order from Easy to Grow Bulbs based on their good ratings and the price of the plant including shipping. I received a well packaged and well rooted cutting. I was a bit nervous about the lack of leaves but after a three weeks it finaly sprouted some leaves. I am thrilled to finaly get a growing plumeria. I would definately order from this company again.
On June 9th, 2015, RBKB444 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I had success with a plumeria plant from ETGB, but with Fox Tail Lilies I ordered last year not so much. I ordered and planted three lilies last fall and this spring nothing grew. I sent a e-mail on June 2, 2015 to ETGB and I received a quick response. The person asked to know the condition of the roots. I checked them and found them to be unchanged from when I planted them. I sent a note informing ETGB of my findings, To date I have I not received another response. I have never left a poor review for a company, but in this instance I feel that the lack of follow up warrants it.
On June 10th, 2015, RBKB444 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

After leaving my previous comment about a lack of communication from ETGB, I got a very nice e-mail from Kathleen of ETGB. She explained to me that the person assigned to respond to e-mail inquiries was new and was a bit overwhelmed and not as timely as she should have been. Anyway she offered a credit for the fox tail lilies that I ordered, which failed to grow. I was initially happy with that until I discovered that this late in the season they are sold out of the plants I would like to order. So hopefully, I will be able to use the credit in the future when the plants become available.
Positive shisomadness
New York City, NY
May 29, 2015
All the spring crocus bloomed great and they were all true to name, which for some reason is difficult for many bulb suppliers. Looking forward to the saffron crocus this fall.
Neutral RandyLahey
Cleveland, OH
May 25, 2015
First time customer of Easy To Grow. I decided to pick up some Australia cannas from them since they are one of the few vendors who have them and are very reputable. I picked up 12 bulbs and one bareroot hardy geranium. The bulbs were what I expected and looked nice and healthy. I was able to rototill and plant them the day after arrival. At just over a month later, only 5 of the 12 have sprouted. The geranium has yet to show any signs of life either. I had ordered more of the same type of canna from Longfield about a week after I received my bulbs from Easy and 13 out of 15 of those bulbs have sprouted now. The 2 that haven't sprouted yet had damaged stems from removing them from packaging. The speed at which my newer set of bulbs came up has me concerned that the rest of the bulbs from Easy that haven't sprouted will not. Overall, I'm fairly disappointed, but I'll give it more time before a final review

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]