The scoop on 'Made in the Shade Gardens'

Made in the Shade Gardens

Green Star: Good Made in the Shade Gardens is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

16370 W. 138th Terrace
Olathe, Kansas 66062 (United States)

Phone: 913-206-6939

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive WiJoJo
Evansville, WI
August 24, 2017
Wow! First experience with mail order plants and what a great one! Communication was excellent. Website easy to use. Very good prices. Shipping prompt. Packaging A+. Plants are healthy, leafy with awesome roots. I would highly recommend and I will be back 👍
Positive kansasgardenguy
Goddard, KS
July 3, 2017
I'm new to Dave's Garden and wanted to leave some positive feedback for Rob at "Made In The Shade" where I have purchased many dozens of hostas over the past several years now. Some by mail order, some at local plant sales and some in person at his greenhouse.

Rob has a tremendous selection of hostas, certainly something for everybody. He always has the latest and greatest. I'm never disappointed in his hostas - so buy with confidence!
Positive pelentania
Eau Claire, WI
June 16, 2017
This is my first order from this company and was made based on positive reviews found here, the simple layout of their website, and the really great selection of plants. I have a large Eastern facing area that I want to fill in with part sun/shade plants and I love hostas. The website states that orders can be submitted online and an email will arrive shortly to confirm total costs (and availability). I submitted my order for 11 of their giant variety plants on 6/5. The next morning, I received an email from Rob Mortko explaining that one of the hostas would not be available in the quantity I wanted and would I be okay with a substitute that he suggested. Thanks to the amount of information they list with their plants, on their site, I was easily able to make an informed decision on this. Rob submitted my order, the plants were shipped by 6/12 and I received beautiful bare root hostas on 6/13. The plants came in a USPS box, wrapped in newspaper. Inside the paper, they were each very carefully wrapped in a wet paper towel, and plastic wrap (along with an identification stake). There was also a brochure included detailing membership for the American Hosta Society. :) All plants were in great condition and the size to be expected for each variety. In addition to this, Rob sent an email the day of the expected delivery to make sure they did show up on time with no issues. I was able to get all the plants in the ground by the next afternoon with no issues and they are all acclimating nicely. I highly recommend this seller for their great selection and quality of plants, ease of ordering, and wonderful communication. I definitely intend to purchase more plants in the future from this seller.
Positive midcenturymodel
Carmel, IN
June 3, 2017
Plants were shipped promptly and packed carefully. Looking forward to getting them settled in to my collection.
Positive JanettaRose
Colon, MI
May 25, 2017
Followed my shipping request perfectly by holding awhile for me...BEAUTIFUL, healthy plants....VERY happy. I will be a returning customer (as I try to reach my goal of 1000 varieties...lol)
Positive Orchiddoctor
Dahlonega, GA
May 9, 2017
Excellent service, shipping, and big healthy plants.
Positive clearfieldborn
Pittsburgh, PA
April 27, 2017
I had ordered bare root plants in the past from other companies and hadn't had great luck with them so I was a bit apprehensive. There was no need. These plants are beautiful and healthy with a ton of root. They are beautiful. I am excited to order from the Hosta Guy again once these plants fill in and I see what I have room for.
Positive shadytoo
Edelstein, IL
April 23, 2017
The order arrived and it was fantastic! Healthy, robust roots, packed well with no broken leaves even though they were really large. Thanks so much. I had just received another order from a different nursery and it was like night and day with the quality. Keep up the great work.
Positive dirtdigger12
Stuart, VA
April 22, 2017
Ordered12 Giant Hosta. They arrived when I wanted, packaged carefully and still moist. Beautiful healthly good size plants. I received an e mail from Dave immediately upon receipt making sure all was well. Excellent product and customer service. Will order again !!!!!
Positive Cheryl8
Monroe Township, NJ (Zone 7a)
April 20, 2017
Posted on August 28, 2014, updated April 20, 2017
Posted on May 9, 2013, updated August 28, 2014
Posted on August 20, 2009, updated May 9, 2013
I ordered hosta \\\"Blue Ivory\\\" which arrived three days after I placed my order. The hosta I received was just beautiful, very healthy and in perfect condition. Rob is just a great guy to do business with. Communication is excellent as is all his plants. Thanks again!
On May 9th, 2013, Cheryl8 added the following:

I purchased hosta \\\"Clovelly\\\", as always hosta arrived in perfect condition and very healthy. Communication with Rob is excellent. I am always happy with all my purchases and
I highly recommended this company to all hosta lovers.
On August 28th, 2014, Cheryl8 added the following:

My new order with Made in the Shade arrived today. The hosta\'s \'Praying Hands\', \'Tickle Me Pink\' and \'Curly Fries\' are just beautiful. Big, and I mean big healthy roots. Doing business with Rob is always a pleasure. Communication is A+, prompt, helpful and courteous. That is why I always return to this company. Thank you Rob!
On April 20th, 2017, Cheryl8 added the following:

Received hosta "Firn Line" today from Made In The Shade. The hosta is absolutely beautiful in person! And I can't believe the size I received, large 3 eyed plant and fantastic healthy roots. It has always been a pleasure doing business with Rob. Communication is beyond compare. Just an all around, highly recommended company.
Thank you so much again Rob!
Positive smfbluefern
Monticello, KY
April 13, 2017
I had a very nice experience. I liked the fact that a personal email was sent, that they reused newspapers to wrap the roots in, and that they requested you let them know how the order was. It gave it a very personal feel.
I would highly recommend them and I will be doing business with them again.
And they are right...Hostas can be addicting!
Positive mal28
Chagrin Falls, OH
October 1, 2016
Posted on June 3, 2015, updated October 1, 2016
Posted on April 30, 2015, updated June 3, 2015
Very pleased, plants arrived on time, very healthy and very well packaged

I will highly recommend them
On June 3rd, 2015, mal28 added the following:

Ordered from them again and am VERY pleased, beautiful healthy plants, excellent roots and very well packaged

If you want Hostas, this is the place
On October 1st, 2016, mal28 added the following:

another perfect purchase!
Positive torchlakegal
Kewadin, MI
August 15, 2016
After purchasing plants in the past from Made in the Shade Gardens at numerous hosta shows, I decided to make an on-line purchase. At the hosta shows/conventions, these plants were always healthy and beautiful. Since this seller had the specific hostas that I was hoping to find and purchase, I placed an on-line order.

My hostas arrived in a timely manner, were extremely well-packed and looked very healthy, despite arriving in northern Michigan during very hot weather. The root system was large and healthy (moist in the packaging), the foliage looked great too. I planted these beauties immediately after arrival and they look super!

I was very pleased with my transaction ease and with the hostas that were purchased. I plan on ordering more plants in the future from this organization. Overall, I highly recommend Made in the Shade Gardens, my interaction with them was extremely favorable.
Positive miketropic
Sanders, KY
July 21, 2016
Got 2 hosta from these guys for the first time yesterday. Shipping was fast and packed well. 1 hosta had 4 eyes and the other a single eyed plant. The real joy was the massive root system both of these had. very clean good looking hosta. I will certainly be back to order from them again.
Positive gingerburr
Lynn, MA
June 16, 2016
Rob at hostaguy.com made it all so easy! The hosta selection is truly amazing. My order arrived on time and in perfect condition and the plants are thriving! I wish I had a bigger garden so I could get more from him.
Positive Hilarysucks
Ava, MO
June 5, 2016
I received my order on time and was impressed with the quality.
Hostas were healthy looking and the root system was awesum.
I could not ask for more !
Positive kailunkat
Chicago, IL
May 13, 2016
Ordered two different Hosta plants - both sets arrived well packaged, moist, and plants were very healthy with excellent root growth. Made in the Shade followed up to make sure everything was to my liking. Very very pleased with this purchase, I will use them again and highly recommend them to others.
Positive southcentral
Edgewood, IL (Zone 6b)
May 12, 2016
Great email communication from placing the order through to follow up after delivery. My hosta order arrived quickly, packaged very well. Lovely plants, very healthy, I'm super pleased. I'd definitely refer my family & friends & would order from Made in the Shade Gardens again.
Positive mmosillo
Villa Park, IL
May 12, 2016
My experience with Hostaguy.com / Made in the Shade Gardens was great! I couldn't find the varieties I wanted from my normal source so I took a chance here. Communication was excellent! They let me know when they shipped so I could watch for them. Packaging was excellent - it looked like they were just dug up. They were much more robust than the ones I got from my previous source. I'm thrilled and will definitely place my orders here in the future!
Positive Palrdh
Saint Louis, MO
April 24, 2016
I received my hostas last week and couldn't be happier. Not only did they have a very well developed root system but the foliage was full and not a damaged leaf in the bunch. This was my first experience with mail order for plants and would highly recommend Made in the Shade to any hosta lover. I just I had more areas where I could plant!
Positive Chiefsfan60
Maryville, IL
April 20, 2016
I called Made in the Shade several weeks ago to order several hosta. I sensed immediately that I had reached the right place, in that I was treated courteously and actually neighborly. I guess if you don't like your neighbors that could be construed negatively, that's not the case here. The order was placed quickly and professionally with any questions regarding when said order would be filled and shipped. I received an email to expect my hostas on a certain day and was not disappointed.
My new hostas arrived in pristine condition, leaves vibrant and fresh. All that is left is to plant them and watch them grow!
The next time I order hosta for my garden, there is zero doubt that they will be ordered from Made in the Shade.
Positive honeybells
Portland, OR
April 18, 2016
This company is an incredible resource for shade gardeners! When the plants arrived, they looked like I had picked them up at the nursery instead of them having spent time in transit. The packing was impressive, both in how the plants looked, but also in the econ-friendly lack of excessive packing. Communication was fast and very friendly. This has been the best mail order experience I have had in many years of ordering plants via mail.
Positive cottelpg
Hamilton, OH (Zone 6a)
April 14, 2016
I ordered from Made in the Shade in the spring 2015. The hostas arrived on time and in fine shape. The plants were beautiful. The customer service was excellent. This company deserves its excellent reputation. I recommend Made in the Shade to anyone ordering hostas.
Positive yankeeshagger
Vass, NC
August 7, 2015
Website was easy to use and informative. Was able to contact via phone to get additional information. Order follow-up initiated by human rather than computer. Good experience.
Positive mrswilb
Leoti, KS
July 10, 2015
This is my first order with Made In The Shade and everything was fantastic. Great selection and good communications. The plants arrived well packaged and were very healthy. I ordered eleven plants and a month later they are doing great. I have ordered several plants thru the mail and these were by far the healthiest and most well packaged I have ever received. I highly recommend this company and will be ordering again.
Positive Steveo3366
Oshkosh, WI
July 10, 2015
I will defiantly order from again, Rob was very helpful and followed through with exceptional communication from the time of purchase to the shipping date, and even making sure my plants are doing well after planting. All plants were very healthy, large, and packaged well.

Thanks again for a great buying experience!!
Steve
Positive veryblessed
Morehead, KY
July 2, 2015
Posted on May 23, 2013, updated July 2, 2015
Posted on October 22, 2010, updated May 23, 2013
We received our first order from Rob. He kept me up to date from the day they were shipped until I received them! The hosta\'s are beautiful and very well packaged. I am already planning my spring order from Made in the Shade Gardens! Its a beautifu morning here in Kentucky, I cant wait to get them in the ground!
On May 23rd, 2013, veryblessed added the following:

I just received my second order from Rob at Made in the Shade. What can I say, the hostas were beautiful and the packaging was great. Rob always has a great selection of newer varieties at prices that canít be beat. I have purchased many hostas from Rob over the last 3 years or so and I donít think I have lost one. I highly recommend Made in the Shade!
On July 2nd, 2015, veryblessed added the following:

I skipped adding any hosta's last year, but placed an order with Rob again this year and as always excellent communication, customer service AND plants!
Positive scott55tx
Duncanville, TX (Zone 8a)
June 19, 2015
First time buying from this company.Placed an order for 10 hostas.Received plants very quickly. Plants were packaged very well. The plants themselves were excellent.Large plants
with excellent root systems.Definitly very pleased with purchase.
Will be ordering again from them when I'm ready for more hostas.
Positive k9crzy
Ankeny, IA
June 7, 2015
Wonderful plants with fantastic root systems. I have mail ordered hostas before but nothing compares to the quality of plants from Made in the Shade hostas. Rob is just as nice in person when I was in Kansas last year. Couldn't rate them higher!! Great hostas!
Positive Nina12
Milwaukee, WI
June 4, 2015
Ordered three hostas. (First time with company). Good sized healthy plants with generous amounts of roots. Already picking out my next order! Customer service is a 10+.
Positive 10Olsens
Bangor, WI
May 7, 2015
I was very pleased with how quickly I received my order. The hostas are in beautiful shape and much larger than I had expected. I will definitely be buying from them again.
Positive mgcmember07
Arkoe, MO
May 6, 2015
Large selection online. Can look by color or size etc. Heard back quickly regarding when they would ship. Came exactly when they had said. Packing was wonderful. Plants very nice size. Better than any other hostas I have ordered from other places. Root system is gorgeous. Will use them again and again. Thanks.
Positive rowtreeman
Roswell, NM
May 3, 2015
The Hostas arrived quickly and very well packed. They loked healthy and so far are doing well. Good advice too.
Positive Hostageorge
Metuchen, NJ
April 30, 2015
First experience. Absolutely satisfied with purchase. Plants are decent size with well developed root system. Well packed.
Will definitely use Made In the Shade again. Thanks, Rob
Positive bughunter99
Downers Grove, IL
April 22, 2015
I ordered five very special hosta's from Made in the Shade this spring. They arrived today. All are in great condition. Nice size and with well developed root systems. They were packed well and delivered during the time expected. The email that told me to expect them today or tomorrow was a nice touch from Rob since our mailman is often lazy about bringing packages to the door. I am a repeat customer of Made in the Shade. They can always be counted on to provide an excellent selection, with descriptions and photos that are true and plants delivered in great shape.
Positive jmmerrifield
Warner Robins, GA
April 16, 2015
Posted on May 23, 2014, updated April 16, 2015
If you are an avid hosta fan, look no further than Made In the Shade. They have a stunning variety to choose from, and the processing of your order is superior from start to finish. They ship on Monday\'s and Tuesday\'s so your order is there before the end of the week, usually within a couple of days of shipment. Each specimen is carefully packaged with tender loving care, and they arrive in excellent condition. The Hosta Guy is the one to turn to if you love hostas like I do and have bountiful shade in your yard that needs some stunning additions!
On April 16th, 2015, jmmerrifield added the following:

Update for 04/15/2015 - I just received my latest hosta additions from Dave at Made In the Shade, and as always they were perfectly packaged and were in fabulous condition. I will of course be ordering again from Made In The Shade, and I am always excited to receive my latest additions to my hosta collection from Dave.
Positive kbradymd
Houston, TX
October 2, 2014
The hostas I ordered arrived promptly the day after they shipped them. They were in great condition, and seem to be tolerating the move well. Rob is VERY generous with the size of the specimens, and they arrived with many leaves attached, unlike many other mail-order nurseries. I really appreciate the great customer service, which included a quick phone response to a previous inquiry. I will order again with confidence!
Positive mrsjschu
Middletown, OH
September 4, 2014
I ran across a reference to hosta plantaginea ("Venus") and decided I would like to have one. I did a google search and the only place that had Venus was Made in the Shade Gardens. I placed my order and had to wait less than a week (with a holiday thrown in there) for Venus's arrival.
This morning, I received an email that alerted me to the delivery and asked that I contact Rob if the plant did not arrive by tomorrow, at the latest. How's that for useful communication?
Venus arrived, and she was packaged so carefully and safely, that when she was removed from the box, she looked fresh and primed for her new home. Planting directions were included, which were great for me since I am a novice.
I am so happy with this purchase. I expected a little nub with a couple of sad-looking roots, but I wanted to give mail order a try. My Venus is much bigger and healthier than those that I have seen at big box and garden stores.
Everything about this experience was positive, and I will not hesitate to spread the good word about Made in the Shade Gardens, and to turn to Rob for future purchases.
Positive lynverk
Columbia, MO
June 19, 2014
Last year we did a hardscaping project on our backyard and this year we needed to landscape the area. Out backyard is full of shade so hostas are the ideal plants for us. I was looking for some unique plants to add interest to our area and was thrilled to find Made in the Shade! They have so many different varieties! I was able to find hostas with various sizes, shapes and colors! The plants are good sized and very healthy! What a wonderful experience! Thank you!!!
Positive cabbageleaf123
Bayard, IA
June 13, 2014
Posted on June 6, 2014, updated June 13, 2014
Made in the Shade Gardens has got to be one of the most outstanding for quality plants, (large healthy, great roots, pristine plants!) customer service, and care in their packing and shipping of these plants. Rob was in contact with me to let me know when the plants shipped, and they want to satisfy their customers. Excellent! I will definitely be doing business with Made in the Shade Gardens again. This is the way to do business. Refreshing! 10 gold stars!
On June 13th, 2014, cabbageleaf123 added the following:

Placed another order with Made in the Shade Gardens because I was so impressed with the service and quality of the plants. Again, I was very pleased with the Hostas. Quality and Superlative service. Exceptional! This is the place to go! Thanks again!

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]