The County Fair is now open. Add your entries Here

The scoop on 'New Hampshire Hostas'

New Hampshire Hostas

New Hampshire Hostas has 895 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good New Hampshire Hostas is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

73 Exeter Rd
South Hampton, New Hampshire 03827 (United States)

Phone: 603-879-0085

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive BeckyLiz
Pepperell, MA
July 5, 2018
The first thing I love about this company is the customer service. Here in New England winter was refusing to leave. My plants were due but the ground was still frozen. I called to check on delivery and got the owner who explained how his schedule is being effected by the weather and when I could expect my plants. They arrived just as promised and at a perfect time for planting. They were shipped overnight and came in great shape. I was a little startled by how small they were but fortunately they were going in a new bed and would not get lost in my existing plantings. This order included astilbe, ferns, columbine and two grasses. They are all thriving and beautiful! I will use this company again for more unique plants.
Positive BostonDavid
Boston, MA
June 29, 2018
All my Hostas are doing well except a small plug; I am patient, however. Loved all plants received. Thank you.
Positive dodges7
Alna, ME (Zone 5b)
June 23, 2018
Posted on August 1, 2008, updated June 24, 2018
Ordered several plants which only took three days after ordering to arrive. FedEx delivered to wrong address (frequent occurrence here) but neighbor redelivered the same day. Certainly not the seller\'s fault. High quality plants with about the best packing I\'ve ever seen. Good selection online and easy ordering process.
On June 23rd, 2018, dodges7 added the following:

Another order received. Usual very well rooted large plants. Packing, as always, excellent. Shipping as fast as could be expected. Why can't all nurseries be as high quality as these folks?
Positive pootypantz
Irving, TX
June 16, 2018
2018.06.15_Clintonville, WI. (6) STARS!!
NH HOSTAS.com is now in my top 2 nursery websites. Very easy to use website and beautifully setup. I ordered 4 hostas, 3 different types. They came in 4 wide x 5 tall pots, very nicely packaged with tall, wood spikes in each to keep them from sliding in the box. Each plant was tucked in a thick layer of wet newspaper and the plants were placed in the box very carefully with wet newspaper rubberbanded in the top of each pot to keep the dirt in place. They were totally undamaged.
The plants are just gorgeous!! They came out of the box at 8 12 tall, excluding the pots. Multiple leaves and beautiful color. Quite impressive. Will definitely be buying from them in the future with complete confidence!!! I wish I could include a photo of the plants but no option to do so on this website.
Positive NHGrammy
Pelham, NH
May 27, 2018
I have been buying plants from NH Hostas for several years but this is the first time I had ordered them by mail. Yesterday 22 new hostas arrived: carefully packed, perfectly fresh and healthy. They are already tucked into their new homes and I could not be happier!
Negative mnda
Minneapolis, MN
May 10, 2018
I just got three hostas today. Two were supposed to be Royal Standard, and the third Fortunei Aureomarginata. One had a tag for Fortunei, one had a tag for Regal Splendor (wrong hosta), and one had no tag. All three were identical, instead of two being the same and one having green with a margin of color. I ordered the two gallon and these were quite small for such an expense, just two small clumps with about 4 leaves total unless they're late risers. The ball is so small, and the leaves were a little tattered on a few. I can get comparable named hosta here of this size for about $7. I emailed early in day. I'll try calling tomorrow to see if and how they will resolve this. Not happy and likely won't order from them again.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2018:
On May 11, 2018 7:42 AM, New Hampshire Hostas responded with:

We are very sorry for the confusion with this order. We received your email and responded and we will fix this issue. As for the size, the plants are still emerging so judging them now is unfair. They all had several eyes and will make great clumps this season. Once planted and allowed to fully leaf out they are worth every penny. We are not a box store with cheap prices and we stand by our plants. Mistakes happen but we always try to fix them. Sorry you were unhappy with this order but hopefully we can make it right for you! Thank you!

Positive Kgirl61
Harlem, GA
April 20, 2018
Exceptional quality plants, great prices. Shipping was really fast and I will be ordering from them again.
Positive saraslat
Sun Prairie, WI (Zone 4b)
April 18, 2018
Outstanding company. The products are high quality, disease free, thrive quickly and they provide fast shipping. I highly recommend them.
Positive hadditt
Portland, OR
April 13, 2018
The hosts I ordered came quickly and I couldn't be happier with what I received. Each individually packed with the roots wrapped in wet newspaper and a name tag to identify each one. The were as fresh and crisp as if I had just dug them from the garden. They arrived lickety split except for a SNAFU by the US postal delivery service. I was worried and e-mailed and called and there was always someone that answered the phone and e-mailed me back within 12-24 hours. Customer service by P.J. was marvelous. I have used other companies before but NONE has been as great as this one. I got 10 plants and I got 10 BEAUTIES!
Positive conniecra
Cathcart, WA
March 28, 2018
I am so happy with my first order from NH Hostas. Because I live in Washington state, the nursery is required to ship bareroot. When they arrived, the plants had a strong root system and top growth. Since my garden is still pretty wet, I took their suggestion to plant in 4" pots before moving to their permanent location. They arrived within 2 shipping days, amazing! I will be ordering again from NH Hostas.
Positive LouWarren5
Pittsburgh, PA
September 22, 2017
I ordered 6 different kinds of hostas for a new garden site. They arrived looking good and are settling in well. New leaves on all and I think they'll be well rooted by late fall, so no frost heave.
Positive lantern567
Worcester, MA
September 5, 2017
The ferns and hosta were very healthy and a nice size. The packing was wonderful, and they arrived in record time. They are doing nicely in the garden.
Positive Cap220
Raymond, MN
July 13, 2017
I ordered 8 different varieties. I was very happy with my shipment. It came sooner than I expected and the plants had been very carefully packed. I could easily see the time and care that went into getting them ready to ship. They are now all at home in my garden and doing great! I will definitely be recommending and ordering again from New Hampshire Hostas!
Positive hlh555
Durham, NC
July 9, 2017
Posted on April 8, 2016, updated July 9, 2017
Posted on September 11, 2015, updated April 8, 2016
I live in NC and I ordered two hostas on Wednesday and they were waiting for me Friday mid day! I couldn\\\'t believe how fast they arrived. The two hostas are a very good size and were extremely well packed. I am very impressed with this company and I won\\\'t hesitate to oder from them again.
On April 8th, 2016, hlh555 added the following:

This is my second order from NH Hostas and again I am very pleased with the plants I received. The three were well packed, and each plant was very healthy with at least 3 leaves. I recommend this company for their extensive selection of hostas of all sizes from miniatures to extra large.
On July 9th, 2017, hlh555 added the following:

I saw some hostas I wanted and my first choice to locate them is NH Hostas and there they were. I placed my order and as before, they were delivered in record time. They arrived very well packed and not a single leaf was bruised or bent. The two hostas looked like I had purchased them locally. They were beautiful and quite large. This is the place to order hostas for their extensive collection, customer service and ability to get them shipped so they arrive in pristine condition.
Positive chughes53
Bethesda, MD
July 1, 2017
I've ordered from NH Hostas twice now, and both times they have exceeded expectations. Their plants are just larger and more robust than hostas I've gotten from some of the other well known outlets. And they really do a great job of packaging the orders to protect those big plants while being shipped. I am a total fan of these guys. They do a great job!
Positive krystolla
Columbus, OH
June 29, 2017
My first order with this company and I'm very impressed. The package allowed lots of space and layers of packing material so there wasn't even a bruised leaf to be found. When planting, I found that the 4.5 inch pot held a healthy mass of roots equivalent to the root mass of gallon sized hostas I've previously purchased. I have no doubt it will settle in well.

Highly recommended.
Positive hostaoverload
Anoka, MN
June 28, 2017
My first order of three hostas arrived in beautiful condition! I had been worried about how they would hold up traveling all the way from New Hampshire to Minnesota. I was amazed at how artfully they were packed! Also, helpful printed information was included. Obviously these people know what they're doing! I won't hesitate to order again.
Positive Kah0527
Delmar, NY
May 30, 2017
I am a new customer and I am very happy with the hostas I ordered. They arrived quickly and were well packaged. In fact, the box sat on my dining room table for 3 days and the roots were still moist when I opened the box. There is new growth appearing already. The photos showing the sizes for each type of order is very helpful. I am looking forward to placing my next order!
Positive JanettaRose
Colon, MI
May 19, 2017
NO ONE...absolutely no other company....that I have ordered from packs their plants better!!!! I live in Michigan and have ordered from NH Hosta several times. They are in "pots" with sticks to keep them from moving and keep them "in place" in the box. They are packed with so many newspapers that those dear little plants have no room "to wiggle or move" at all!!!! I would order ALL my hostas from them if they carried all the varieties I am seeking. THEY ARE THE BEST....(and no, I didn't get a discount for reporting this.....smile)
Positive OhioMark
Millersburg, OH
May 12, 2017
I am impressed with the selection at New Hampshire Hostas as well as the pricing. I found a few varieties I'd been looking for for quite some time. The delivery was prompt and I was well pleased with the shipping & packing and the quality of my purchase. I'm looking forward to doing more business with them!
Positive ejginko
Newton, MA
May 11, 2017
I have ordered hostas and ferns from NH Hostas over the past few years. The plants have always come well packed and in very good shape. I have been very pleased with them. Now...if I could say the same for the bunnies!
Positive gobluecsa
Port Matilda, PA
May 8, 2017
1. I am a beginning hosta gardener. NH Hostas was recommended by a friend who is a hosta enthusiast. I found their website to be very informative and detailed about hosta descriptions and needs, i.e. sun, shade, size, etc.
2. I received orders last summer and this spring. They arrived promptly and were VERY well packed. Depending on the item ordered, they were well wrapped in paper, etc. and placed carefully in the sturdy box. They arrived with detailed planting instructions.
3. My hostas are thriving! I will always get new ones from this company - they are knowledgeable and competent.
Positive snarfoo
Mogadore, OH
May 4, 2017
I've dealt with this company for years. I'm landscaping a new area and ordered hostas from another company last summer. What a joke!! There was no comparison. The plants we unhealthy, half have not come up this year, and the pants were not individually labeled! So I didn't know which one were taller or which were shorter. SO, I am finishing my project through NH Hostas and will never deal with another company. Received my new hostas yesterday and they look wonderful!!
Plants are great, customer service is great, and they offer tons of information, and I know in a couple of years I'll have a beautiful bed of hostas!!
Positive Jake_Charleston
Charleston, IL
April 22, 2017
Amazing operation. Fantastic phone and email communication. Their manager, P.J. is excellent. He gave me excellent ideas and suggestions in a timely matter. Their website is very helpful. Nice you tube videos. My plants came extremely well packaged. I could see the time and planning it took to ship and box these hostas. I had 3 broken leaves, out of 124 plants and they broke because of me! Four inch pots are the way to go versus bare root. Their prices are very reasonable. They don't make money on shipping like a lot of companies. I got free shipping and a huge discount for ordering early. I learned of them from a friend and I live in Illinois! I will order again from NH Hostas. Try them, you won't be disappointed.
Positive kanron
Topeka, KS
April 13, 2017
Posted on April 23, 2016, updated April 13, 2017
First time order and am very pleased. I ordered some large hostas and root balls came moist and well packaged. I got them into my shade garden right away and am looking forward to the results. Quick shipping and a pleasure to do business with NH Hostas.
On April 13th, 2017, kanron added the following:

Received 20 Anemone "Madonna" plugs today...beautifully packaged; Roots were moist and I am very please once again.
Positive srusso8912
Framingham, MA
April 13, 2017
I am extremely happy with my NH Hostas order. Being my first time ordering plants online, I wasn't sure what to expect. I placed my order on April 10 and was surprised to see an email on April 11 that my order had shipped! Since I live in MA it only took one day in transit and they were on my doorstep on April 12. The two potted plants 'Lakeside Iron Man' - 4.5" pot and 'Coconut Custard" - 3" are both incredible healthy. The Custard is a yellow mini hosta and might just be the cutest little thing I've ever seen. Two other hostas I ordered 'Vulcan' and 'Patriot' are root plugs. 'Patriot' already has three healthy, perky leaves, packaged very well and still moist. I can't wait to see the tri-color leaves of 'Vulcan'. My husband was quite impressed with the root growth of the plants. Will definitely order from here again!
Positive SgringGreen
October 16, 2016
Posted on August 19, 2016, updated October 16, 2016
Posted on August 9, 2016, updated August 19, 2016
Posted on August 8, 2016, updated August 9, 2016
To begin with I intended to make a positive review because I placed my first order with New Hampshire two weeks ago. I ordered 2 Extra large 2 gallon size Liberty Hosta and received beautiful plants. They were just as NH Hosta described they would be; In good condition I was so happy that I immediately placed a second order that same day. The second order was for 2 Brother Stefan extra large 2 gallon. Within 30 minutes after placing the order I noticed the sight had added another Variety to the available list of 2 gallon size... Ivory Coast and Night before Christmas. I wanted to add to my existing order so I tried to add 2 of \\\\\\\'Ivory Coast\\\\\\\' but was unable so I created a separate order
Within minutes after placing the second order that variety was removed from the available list. I assumed I had just bought them out. The next morning I called by phone to ask them to combine the two orders and they did. He said he would refund the extra shipping since the order was combined to one. Instead I asked him to just send a \\\\\\\"June\\\\\\\" 4 inch Hosta instead because it was just under the cost of the shipping he would refund. My decision to order \\\\\\\'June\\\\\\\' was based on the video on his sight advertising the size of a 4\\\\\\\" potted \\\\\\\'June\\\\\\\'.

Combining the two orders should have qualified me for the bonus Hosta because my order exceeded $150 dollars. Also I should have received a 5% discount as a returning customer which I also qualified for yet it wasn\\\\\\\'t added. They were in a huge rush because Fed Ex had already been called since this was the morning they were shipping. If they could have at leased warned me there was a problem with stock...

It took a week for the order to arrive because the distance was so great. I couldn\\\\\\\'t hardly wait to receive my Hosta and when they came I opened the box and started crying. Both \\\\\\\'Ivory Coast\\\\\\\" had leaves that were brown, yellow dis colored, and what looked like black moldy spots. Also one of the \\\\\\\'Ivory Coast\\\\\\\' had one division not two or more as was advertised. Brother Stefan had an odd white mold growing on many of the leaves. To make matters worse the 4 1/2 inch potted June That I ordered was not included. However a small June plug was shipped instead. (One size smaller than what I paid for.). The 2 gallon size \\\\\\\"Night before Christmas was also not the right size. I was sent a plant that had been pulled out of a Much smaller pot. I know the difference because the other plants had dangling roots where the soil from the 2 gallon pot had been shaken off. The \\\\\\\'Night before Christmas\\\\\\\' had no loose soil or dangling roots. It was in the tight compact exact shape of the pot side and bottom. We all know how a plants roots look when we pull a plant directly out of a pot. The roots and soil are undos turned in the exact shape and of the pot it came out of. I tested the tightly compacted roots and soil by setting it into one of my old saved almost a gallon pot from a local nursery. . A perfect exact fit. (You know... the pots nurseries call a gallon size but are really just barely two quart size. Well that was the fit of the Undisturbed roots.

That\\\\\\\'s when I knew for sure someone had just pulled a smaller size plant than what I ordered because no soil had been shaken off. You could still see the pot drain hole indentures on the soil and roots. I assume it was done because the 2 gallon extra large size must have been sold out. (Whoever packed it must have thought I wouldn\\\\\\\'t notice if they wrapped it in a bag like the others.) No soil was shaken off because the plant was small enough it didn\\\\\\\'t need it. This order must have rushed through so fast they didn\\\\\\\'t have time to let me know there was a problem with stock.

I was so embarrassed that I didn\\\\\\\'t want my friends and family to see what I paid so much for.... and got moldy plants and plants one size smaller than I paid for. I actually had tears streaming down my face as I put the Hosta in the ground in my garden. It just took the wind right out of my sails.

I am a member of the international forums of Garden.Org. This summer was my first summer buying Hosta. I was a complete Newbie and I had started a thread called \\\\\\\"Hosta Newbie beginning my journey\\\\\\\". On this thread I was posting everything I was doing and experiencing so other Newbies could follow any successes and failures I had and learn from it.

So in tears I posted the pictures of the Hosta I received from NH Hosta and was very embarrassed at what I paid top dollar for. Anyone can go to that sight and see the pictures on my thread. Another sympathetic member advised me to post here if I didn\\\\\\\'t get a response to my email. I think they are busy and have not read it yet.

I don\\\\\\\'t know what to do. The sight says to send the Hosta back if I am not satisfied and they will refund me for the plants but then I\\\\\\\'m still out the cost of shipping everything back and forth. I can just be stiffed financially and have some sick looking plants and some that are no where near what they advertised or what I ordered.... or I can have nothing at all and still be out.

I just wanted them to send me some pretty plants with the discounts and bonuses I was entitled to and of course the size of plants I paid for.

I just wanted some pretty Hosta for my garden and I thought surely NH Hosta could provide that.
On August 9th, 2016, SgringGreen changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

NH Hosta contacted me. He was very kind. He apologized for the condition the plants arrived in. The shipping company took over a week to deliver in the heat and caused the plants to mold and deteriorate. He said he will ship me replacement plants with a more rapid shipping service. He has offered to refund me half of the expense for the inconvenience as well as sending me the bonus plant. It feels like everything will be ok. I didn\\\'t feel like crying after he called me. The replacement plants will ship next Monday.
On August 19th, 2016, SgringGreen changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Today some beautiful replacement plants arrived. They were fresh and arrived in just 4 days all the way across the country. Also, I was discounted and my bonus Hosta Blue Angel was included and absolutely lovely.

I am happy and I will order from NH Hosta again!!
On October 16th, 2016, SgringGreen added the following:

I placed a second order and received beautiful true to name plants !!!

NH Hosta has win my loyalty!!!

Here is a link to the thread where I posted beautiful pictures of the plant products they sent me...

//garden.org/thread/view/54402/Hosta-Newbie-beginning-my-journey/?offset=280
Positive baufuller
Mount Carroll, IL
September 9, 2016
This, my first time order from this company, arrived promptly and was nicely packaged. I have close to 300 hosta plants and I have acquired from many sources over the years. I prefer plants in pots even though I have had excellent luck with some bare-rooted stock, which is why I chose this company for this particular plant. This little dwarf 'holy mouse ears' is a very nice size for a 3" pot and ready to go into the new commemorative glade I started this year. Am anxious to see how it weathers the northern Illinois [zone 4B] winter, which will be the ultimate test of their stock's vigor; but having read the reviews, I am expecting good things!
Positive bobboc
Charleston, IL
September 2, 2016
PJ and crew are the absolute BEST! They are helpful, responsive and deliver the best hosta! Their prices are fair and the quality is exceptional (in all the years I have used them, only a single hosta didn't thrive, and they quickly sent me a replacement).

Platinum level of service can products!

Positive Sheldon1
Winston Salem, NC
August 28, 2016
On my initial order, I ordered starter plugs. The order was processed, shipped, and arrived within two days from Connecticut to North Carolina. The starter plugs (35mm) were packed and wrapped meticulously. They were still very moist. These plugs are every bit 3". The plants arrived healthy, well packaged, and very vibrant. I usually place starter plugs in containers for a while. I reside in zone 7b and since these plugs were so robust, I decided to place them in the Hosta bed along side their "cousins." The rest is up to me to grow breathtaking Hostas. This was my first order with this company and these are professionals who know what they are doing. I received these plants at a fair price and the quality is impressive. I have finally found my "go to" company for my Hosta fetish!
Positive MCFE
Huntington, NY
August 6, 2016
I've received two deliveries of hostas from NH Hostas in the past few years. Both contained plants of really good size, in robust health and were extremely carefully packed and in excellent condition. Delivery was overnight, literally, I think, or second day.

I've never lost a plant from my first order, and the hostas have grown admirably in the few years I've had them.

Great growers and business folks to deal with.
Positive peartr
Watertown, MA
August 5, 2016
I ordered 5 hostas a few days ago and today they all arrived in great shape. They are beautiful. I am happy to have found such an excellent place to buy hostas !
Positive 1_Acre_Garden
Parkman, OH
May 24, 2016
I have placed an order with New Hampshire Hostas for the past two years, and I'm very happy with the entire experience. I like buying plants in pots. My hostas arrived in excellent condition, and I'm very pleased with the way they pack the plants in the shipping box. The hostas I bought last year are doing very well, and I'm sure that the ones that I planted this year will thrive as well.

I read one negative comment here about a giant hosta not growing as quickly as the person expected it to. I can tell you from experience that the giant hostas in general mature more slowly than most of the smaller hostas do. Also, there are differences in vigor between the different hosta varieties. Some hosta varieties are just better plants than others.
Positive greenheart107
Newton, MA
May 24, 2016
I ordered nine ferns from NH Hosta on a Saturday at the height of May gardening season and a box of wonderful plants arrived on Tuesday to my home in Massachusetts. What more could one ask for? Moreover, the quart-size plants were the perfect size for the pot. NOT pot bound and ready to take off in the garden.
Thank you, New Hampshire Hosta.
Positive MarianneME
Falmouth, ME
May 24, 2016
My order was for a half dozen mini hostas. They were well-packed and arrived in great shape.
Positive BvrCtyGardener
Monaca, PA
May 20, 2016
New Hampshire Hostas are the best. I order only starters, but every one of them from New Hampshire has had hardy root stock so I've never lost one. This year, my "Skylight" is pushing several leaves, my six "Rainbows End" which took a bad hit with a late frost have REALLY bounced back, and my newest treats for this year: "Eternal Flame" and another "Rainbows End" (because I like it THAT much) are happily settling into their new homes.

I'm happy, and I'll keep coming back until I run out of space.
THANKS, NH!!

Negative PennPlanter
Pittsburgh, PA
May 14, 2016
Bought two Hostas in 2012, paid premium to get larger rootstock plants. Plants arrived OK, but growth has been very slow. After 4 years plants are 17" tall but nowhere near the 40" x 70" full plant description.
When I contacted NHHostas they responded requesting a photo of the plants. I sent them one to which they replied that plants look ok, they don't mature until 5 years and that I had inappropriately planted on a slope near a tree where its dry.
These plants are watered regularly, are mulched and the Homedepot hostas 3 feet from them are twice the size.
Not pleased with the reply from NHHostas and I suspect the Hostas they sent aren't the Giant species I paid for. Plants are healthy, just small.
Positive jtilley
Marietta, OH
May 2, 2016
Very nice plants. My mail order source last spring sent plants that would fit in a thimble. The plants received from NH were good sized ready to plant & compete & thrive.

Prices were very nice for varieties not readily available in this area.
Positive wraytram
Ponchatoula, LA
April 22, 2016
My first time order...very impressed with selection and super fast delivery...

Was amazed at the packaging care and condition of the plants when they arrived...

They sent an extremely detailed set of instructions on the care and maintenance of hostas as well as their light (sunshine) requirements according to leaf color...

Highly recommended...
Positive mphgreens
Williamsburg, VA
April 5, 2016
I recently purchased the Hosta of the year collection from NH Hostas. The order was shipped as requested and the plants were received in great condition. All 22 plants in the order were potted and covered with wet newspaper and rubber bands to hold the soil in place.

I planted the hostas the next day and now three days later they look terrific. NH Hostas delivered healthy plants and took great care to ensure they shipped safely. They were easy to work with and accommodating to my requests. I would recommend NH Hostas to anyone looking to buy plants online.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]