Our 19th Annual Photo Contest is now open for entries. You can submit your best images HERE

The scoop on 'New Hampshire Hostas'

New Hampshire Hostas

New Hampshire Hostas has 895 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good New Hampshire Hostas is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

73 Exeter Rd
South Hampton, New Hampshire 03827 (United States)

Phone: 603-879-0085

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive oakpress
Madison, MS (Zone 8b)
October 10, 2019
I've placed 2 orders with NW Hostas this summer and I'm very pleased! I buy a lot of my plants online because of the convenience.
After seeing them on the Watchdog, I placed my first order. The plants arrived quickly and were in excellent condition. I love hosta (particularly BIG hosta) and finding them locally is impossible. I will be a customer for years to come!!
Positive fritscher88
Massillon, OH
September 12, 2019
Very professional and caring company..I was able to find hostas that were not available anywhere else..I received the hostas very quickly and they sent email confirmations to keep me posted..The plant can in a very nice NH hosta box and was packed very well and even though the temps were hot my new hosta came in great shape..Nice root system and healthy plant..THANK YOU NH HOSTA...will get more from you in the future..
Positive JuliSudbury
Sudbury, MA
August 31, 2019
This was my first time buying a plant online, and I was not sure of how it would work. The clear explanatory video they have on their site made me choose New Hampshire Hostas, and I am happy I did.
I got prompt delivery of my hostas, and the packaging was so carefully done that the leaves did not have a wrinkle! Pricing is reasonable and the plants look nice and strong. I will recommend New Hampshire Hostas to my friends, and come back to them next spring when I start gardening again.
Positive areburn
Jasper, AL
August 28, 2019
Very impressed with the quick response from this company, the quality of the plants received and the price selection. Ordered on Monday and had the plants arriving on Wednesday ready to be planted. Can't wait to see them thrive! Will do doing business with New Hampshire Hostas again!
Positive Mreimer78
Saranac, MI
August 17, 2019
I have ordered from New Hampshire Hostas 3 times now and have always been extremely happy with the results. Plants are always well packaged and have arrived healthy. Two thumbs up!
Positive Erieside
Euclid, OH
July 19, 2019
I just planted the hostas so that's all I can comment on so far. The starter plugs had lots of very healthy roots. The 4 inch pots were very healthy looking, tall, green, moist soil and roots. All were very well packed and undamaged. So far I'm very happy with the products. I also bought a fern and only disappointed that there was only one left but at least I got one.
Positive thejamester2001
Shawnee Mission, KS
July 16, 2019
Fast processing and shipping, plants arrive in excellent condition, and prices are reasonable. I have ordered three times from NH Hostas and will again in the future!
Positive milehighplants
Denver, CO
June 27, 2019
So very happy with my dealings with New Hampshire Hosta. Placed order, which was hard in that their selection is superb. Received order in less then a week. A little apprehensive regarding the 4.5 inch and bare root. Boy was I surprised. The plants were extremely well packed and very healthy. Was concerned over bare root, as I have received other plants this way and was not happy. What a surprise, the health of the roots and top growth was amazing and it made planting so much easier then dealing with a plant you need to loosen and dig out the dirt. Thank you New Hampshire Hostas for having such a dedicated business...
Positive Windflowers7
Brooklyn, NY
June 24, 2019
I needed a specific Hosta and this was the first place I went to. Not only because of the reviews, but in the past I needed a Hosta identified, and I got a quick detailed response. This is a big order company, you can tell by how the order is handled. That being said, the hosta arrived wrapped in newspaper like they picked it the day before, which they probably did. I looked at it the other day and I cant believe how big it already got! There are many varieties of Hosta, look here first.
Positive MamaTried
Huntsville, AL
June 9, 2019
This was my first experience with NH Hostas and I ABSOLUTELY will order from them again. I ordered about 20 hostas (5 large varieties, 4.5" pot size). Sounds cheesy, but I feel that whoever packed my order did so with love, which explains why my order took some time to ship (ordered May 18, arrived at my Alabama home on June 7). Each plant's bareroot was carefully wrapped (its roots snug in damp newspaper then placed in a plastic bag and secured with a rubber band) and labeled with informative tags, including the plants expected size. Then the plants were gently packed in more newspaper into the box.

The roots were clean and substantial in size. The leaves were all in perfect condition...on average, each plant had about 5 leaves. NH Hostas also included planting instructions and a little brochure. I can't wait to watch these hostas mature around my home.
Positive byrnep
Melrose, MA
June 7, 2019
NH Hostas has varieties of Hosta not found elsewhere. My Hostas and epimidium arrived quickly and were very well packaged. No damage to these great looking Hostas. I am very pleased with the Hosta and that the man who I spoke to was pleasant to buy from. Ill be buying more from NH Hostas!
Positive Dewsteroo
Zionsville, IN
May 31, 2019
Over the course of a few days, I placed 3 separate orders with Dave @ NH Hostas. Communication was terrific; response to emails was very timely and shipment was quick. For those 3 orders, Dave ended up consolidating the 3 into one shipment and refunded shipping costs back to me.

Now, for the products I ordered. I couldn't be happier. Everything I ordered, arrived in great shape. Plants were properly marked and wrapped in wet newspaper.

I will definitely order again!

John
Positive JenDion
Litchfield, NH (Zone 5b)
May 14, 2019
Just got my first order from NH Hostas. I was very pleased with the size and quality of the plants, prices and shipping costs. Will definitely order from them before other mail order suppliers in the future!
Positive heirloom_annie
New Hartford, NY
May 3, 2019
Plant was delivered in excellent condition. It was well packed and made the trip unscathed. Very pleased!
Positive meliz
Nashville, TN
April 19, 2019
This is the second time I've ordered from New Hampshire Hostas and I am again very pleased with their plants. I ordered five hostas this time. They were packed perfectly and the hostas were in great shape. Their hosta selection is the best I've ever seen. Everything was exactly as described, with healthy plants shipped at the proper time for planting. I'm so glad I found them!
Positive ValerieWatson
Beltsville, MD
April 12, 2019
I searched all of my go-to nurseries for Lipstick Blonde Hosta and all were sold out BUT i found them at NH Hostas - they arrived yesterday, are not bare root, but have 2 leaves healthy growth, were packaged safely and are already in my garden - very pleased!
Positive marlogan
Middleburg, FL
April 7, 2019
I ordered months ago and they shipped after our frost date. They were well packaged. I could not plant them right away because of our Florida storms, but put them on the porch, in a sheltered spot and kept the newspaper around the base of each plant. They absolutely loved the rain and our doing quite well in their pots. I will get them planted soon. I ordered four and will order more!
Positive Goodmeister
Orchards, WA
March 28, 2019
Purchased over 20 hostas from NHHostas. They hold them until there is no longer a chance of frost unless you email them. Purchased in February, now the end of March, our weather has warmed up. I emailed them to see if they could send the plants out early. Got an email within 24 hours and 2 days later on the other side of the US, I received a box full of Hostas. Can't wait to get them planted and see how they look. Will definitely be back for more. THANKS!
Positive payitforward
Dallas, NC
November 2, 2018
I'm in the process of having to replace all the plants in front of my house. The trees in our front yard have grown so much in the last 20 years, that we now have a front foundation that is almost completely shaded. I chose NH Hostas because of their wide selection of hostas. I received my shipment very quickly and the ferns and heuchera I purchased look very healthy. The hostas are going into dormancy, but what I received were packaged well. I was most impressed that they refunded part of the shipping. I decided to make an additional purchase after I had already placed an order and they refunded the majority of the shipping cost on my second order, since I had made the purchases so close together. I didn't even ask if they would...they took the initiative and gave me a $10.50 refund. That says a lot about this business and taking care of their customers.

Positive pterostyrax
Seattle, WA
September 26, 2018
Great selection, excellent service, well developed plants.
Positive BeckyLiz
Pepperell, MA
July 5, 2018
The first thing I love about this company is the customer service. Here in New England winter was refusing to leave. My plants were due but the ground was still frozen. I called to check on delivery and got the owner who explained how his schedule is being effected by the weather and when I could expect my plants. They arrived just as promised and at a perfect time for planting. They were shipped overnight and came in great shape. I was a little startled by how small they were but fortunately they were going in a new bed and would not get lost in my existing plantings. This order included astilbe, ferns, columbine and two grasses. They are all thriving and beautiful! I will use this company again for more unique plants.
Positive BostonDavid
Boston, MA
June 29, 2018
All my Hostas are doing well except a small plug; I am patient, however. Loved all plants received. Thank you.
Positive dodges7
Alna, ME (Zone 5b)
June 23, 2018
Posted on August 1, 2008, updated June 24, 2018
Ordered several plants which only took three days after ordering to arrive. FedEx delivered to wrong address (frequent occurrence here) but neighbor redelivered the same day. Certainly not the seller\'s fault. High quality plants with about the best packing I\'ve ever seen. Good selection online and easy ordering process.
On June 23rd, 2018, dodges7 added the following:

Another order received. Usual very well rooted large plants. Packing, as always, excellent. Shipping as fast as could be expected. Why can't all nurseries be as high quality as these folks?
Positive pootypantz
Irving, TX
June 16, 2018
2018.06.15_Clintonville, WI. (6) STARS!!
NH HOSTAS.com is now in my top 2 nursery websites. Very easy to use website and beautifully setup. I ordered 4 hostas, 3 different types. They came in 4 wide x 5 tall pots, very nicely packaged with tall, wood spikes in each to keep them from sliding in the box. Each plant was tucked in a thick layer of wet newspaper and the plants were placed in the box very carefully with wet newspaper rubberbanded in the top of each pot to keep the dirt in place. They were totally undamaged.
The plants are just gorgeous!! They came out of the box at 8 12 tall, excluding the pots. Multiple leaves and beautiful color. Quite impressive. Will definitely be buying from them in the future with complete confidence!!! I wish I could include a photo of the plants but no option to do so on this website.
Positive NHGrammy
Pelham, NH
May 27, 2018
I have been buying plants from NH Hostas for several years but this is the first time I had ordered them by mail. Yesterday 22 new hostas arrived: carefully packed, perfectly fresh and healthy. They are already tucked into their new homes and I could not be happier!
Negative mnda
Minneapolis, MN
May 10, 2018
I just got three hostas today. Two were supposed to be Royal Standard, and the third Fortunei Aureomarginata. One had a tag for Fortunei, one had a tag for Regal Splendor (wrong hosta), and one had no tag. All three were identical, instead of two being the same and one having green with a margin of color. I ordered the two gallon and these were quite small for such an expense, just two small clumps with about 4 leaves total unless they're late risers. The ball is so small, and the leaves were a little tattered on a few. I can get comparable named hosta here of this size for about $7. I emailed early in day. I'll try calling tomorrow to see if and how they will resolve this. Not happy and likely won't order from them again.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2018:
On May 11, 2018 7:42 AM, New Hampshire Hostas responded with:

We are very sorry for the confusion with this order. We received your email and responded and we will fix this issue. As for the size, the plants are still emerging so judging them now is unfair. They all had several eyes and will make great clumps this season. Once planted and allowed to fully leaf out they are worth every penny. We are not a box store with cheap prices and we stand by our plants. Mistakes happen but we always try to fix them. Sorry you were unhappy with this order but hopefully we can make it right for you! Thank you!

Positive Kgirl61
Harlem, GA
April 20, 2018
Exceptional quality plants, great prices. Shipping was really fast and I will be ordering from them again.
Positive saraslat
Sun Prairie, WI (Zone 4b)
April 18, 2018
Outstanding company. The products are high quality, disease free, thrive quickly and they provide fast shipping. I highly recommend them.
Positive hadditt
Portland, OR
April 13, 2018
The hosts I ordered came quickly and I couldn't be happier with what I received. Each individually packed with the roots wrapped in wet newspaper and a name tag to identify each one. The were as fresh and crisp as if I had just dug them from the garden. They arrived lickety split except for a SNAFU by the US postal delivery service. I was worried and e-mailed and called and there was always someone that answered the phone and e-mailed me back within 12-24 hours. Customer service by P.J. was marvelous. I have used other companies before but NONE has been as great as this one. I got 10 plants and I got 10 BEAUTIES!
Positive conniecra
Cathcart, WA
March 28, 2018
I am so happy with my first order from NH Hostas. Because I live in Washington state, the nursery is required to ship bareroot. When they arrived, the plants had a strong root system and top growth. Since my garden is still pretty wet, I took their suggestion to plant in 4" pots before moving to their permanent location. They arrived within 2 shipping days, amazing! I will be ordering again from NH Hostas.
Positive LouWarren5
Pittsburgh, PA
September 22, 2017
I ordered 6 different kinds of hostas for a new garden site. They arrived looking good and are settling in well. New leaves on all and I think they'll be well rooted by late fall, so no frost heave.
Positive lantern567
Worcester, MA
September 5, 2017
The ferns and hosta were very healthy and a nice size. The packing was wonderful, and they arrived in record time. They are doing nicely in the garden.
Positive Cap220
Raymond, MN
July 13, 2017
I ordered 8 different varieties. I was very happy with my shipment. It came sooner than I expected and the plants had been very carefully packed. I could easily see the time and care that went into getting them ready to ship. They are now all at home in my garden and doing great! I will definitely be recommending and ordering again from New Hampshire Hostas!
Positive hlh555
Durham, NC
July 9, 2017
Posted on April 8, 2016, updated July 9, 2017
Posted on September 11, 2015, updated April 8, 2016
I live in NC and I ordered two hostas on Wednesday and they were waiting for me Friday mid day! I couldn\\\'t believe how fast they arrived. The two hostas are a very good size and were extremely well packed. I am very impressed with this company and I won\\\'t hesitate to oder from them again.
On April 8th, 2016, hlh555 added the following:

This is my second order from NH Hostas and again I am very pleased with the plants I received. The three were well packed, and each plant was very healthy with at least 3 leaves. I recommend this company for their extensive selection of hostas of all sizes from miniatures to extra large.
On July 9th, 2017, hlh555 added the following:

I saw some hostas I wanted and my first choice to locate them is NH Hostas and there they were. I placed my order and as before, they were delivered in record time. They arrived very well packed and not a single leaf was bruised or bent. The two hostas looked like I had purchased them locally. They were beautiful and quite large. This is the place to order hostas for their extensive collection, customer service and ability to get them shipped so they arrive in pristine condition.
Positive chughes53
Bethesda, MD
July 1, 2017
I've ordered from NH Hostas twice now, and both times they have exceeded expectations. Their plants are just larger and more robust than hostas I've gotten from some of the other well known outlets. And they really do a great job of packaging the orders to protect those big plants while being shipped. I am a total fan of these guys. They do a great job!
Positive krystolla
Columbus, OH
June 29, 2017
My first order with this company and I'm very impressed. The package allowed lots of space and layers of packing material so there wasn't even a bruised leaf to be found. When planting, I found that the 4.5 inch pot held a healthy mass of roots equivalent to the root mass of gallon sized hostas I've previously purchased. I have no doubt it will settle in well.

Highly recommended.
Positive hostaoverload
Anoka, MN
June 28, 2017
My first order of three hostas arrived in beautiful condition! I had been worried about how they would hold up traveling all the way from New Hampshire to Minnesota. I was amazed at how artfully they were packed! Also, helpful printed information was included. Obviously these people know what they're doing! I won't hesitate to order again.
Positive Kah0527
Delmar, NY
May 30, 2017
I am a new customer and I am very happy with the hostas I ordered. They arrived quickly and were well packaged. In fact, the box sat on my dining room table for 3 days and the roots were still moist when I opened the box. There is new growth appearing already. The photos showing the sizes for each type of order is very helpful. I am looking forward to placing my next order!
Positive JanettaRose
Colon, MI
May 19, 2017
NO ONE...absolutely no other company....that I have ordered from packs their plants better!!!! I live in Michigan and have ordered from NH Hosta several times. They are in "pots" with sticks to keep them from moving and keep them "in place" in the box. They are packed with so many newspapers that those dear little plants have no room "to wiggle or move" at all!!!! I would order ALL my hostas from them if they carried all the varieties I am seeking. THEY ARE THE BEST....(and no, I didn't get a discount for reporting this.....smile)
Positive OhioMark
Millersburg, OH
May 12, 2017
I am impressed with the selection at New Hampshire Hostas as well as the pricing. I found a few varieties I'd been looking for for quite some time. The delivery was prompt and I was well pleased with the shipping & packing and the quality of my purchase. I'm looking forward to doing more business with them!

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]