The scoop on 'Gilbert H. Wild and Son'

Gilbert H. Wild and Son

3044 State Hwy 37
Sarcoxie, Missouri 64862-03638 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-449-4537
Fax: 1-888-548-6831

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative willyE
Endeavor, PA
April 14, 2021
Last year there was a purchase of a few items that came in great and were wonderfully packaged. Planted them and they all were growing great except 1 which was having a hard time. The coreopsis. That was not a problem at all. Also received the 10 free daylillies. which came in a brown paper bag in a box with a band around each that signified which ones they were. They looked like they were cooked from the heat as they were separate from the rest of the order. Planted them anyways. along with others i had from another grower. Seen a few green tips pop up slightly then turn brown. Didn't think much and thought well they should be ok. None came up. Well by now it was fall so i figured i would wait till this spring to see. Nothing. Dug up one and the little root nodules were all dry and like empty paper sacks. Contacted customer service and was told you needed to contact us within 45 days and they were free and then hung up. Basically brushed off sort of rudely the way this was said. Didn't see a sticker that says 45 days required to report. I apologize that that was missed. I work for customer support at a Major Company and if i answered in that way well, at this time and with everything going on the customer would be my major priority and not writing this email

Positive mjoykitch
Water Valley, MS
April 12, 2021
The plants in their catalog and at website were at excellent prices, some of them even on sale. My plants arrived on 3/25/21. I have never seen such careful packaging, and I have been ordering plants for 20 years. Each plant container was in an individual cardboard box within the bigger box. All the plants were small, as was disclosed at the website, but I was expecting this as most plants ordered and shipped are small. About 10 days later, all my plants are looking very healthy and growing by leaps and bounds. I would definitely recommend and will order in the future from Gilbert H. Wild.
Positive bambiatthelake
Streetman, TX
September 4, 2020
I turned my quarantined self to gardening rather late in the season, so when I got around to ordering daylilies it was already very hot in Texas. I ordered their package of 50 unnamed varieties. I was worried be about the heat. What I received were well packaged and of sufficient size to make me happy. I planted them immediately (mid July) and all seem to be doing well. I would order from them again.
Positive Snowdeen
Jefferson City, MO
August 11, 2020
Good prices; not huge plants. All packed well.
Negative LindaRmfg
Willow Springs, MO
June 14, 2020
I was given a gift certificate for this company as a birthday present. I ordered several live plants as well as lily bulbs. When the package arrived all but one of the live plants were brown and dead, not dormant. Only one was potted and protected by a cardboard container, that plant was the only one alive. The rest did have some soil but were wrapped in plastic wrap with no packing to retain moisture. They were placed in the box with no fillers so that they rolled around loosely during shipping. I called the company and was told they couldn't send replacements because those varieties were now out of stock. I was told to plant them and wait a few weeks and if they weren't okay then we "could try to work something out." I've gardened for over 50 years so I can tell dead plants from dormant ones. I asked if they could refund the money to my son's credit card and was told "I wouldn't know how to do that".I still have some store credit but I should have received a refund for the dead plants. I live in the same state as this company so there's no reason they shouldn't have arrived healthy except that they were either in bad shape before they were shipped or the lack of careful packaging attributed to their demise. A refund should have been issued so that I could at least have attempted another purchase since they don't know how to refund a credit card, which any cashier at a retail outlet knows how to do.
Company representative comment on June 15, 2020:
On Jun 15, 2020 6:29 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

Hello! We're sorry that you had a difficult time on the phone with our customer service rep. Without knowing your name or order number, it is hard to help at this time. We did have a new employee that was in training, perhaps that is who you spoke with. That employee actually no longer works here. Regardless, if the rep couldn't help you, she should have forwarded your call to someone that could. Please contact us at [email protected] or call us and ask to speak to the manager and we will get this sorted out. Thanks!

Positive Karen4Roses
Traverse City, MI
May 11, 2020
I ordeered about $85 worth of perennials from Gilbert Wild this spring. They kept me posted on the best shipping date and the plants arrived well packaged (each in a cardboard box with a plastic bag around each pot to keep the soil in place.The plants were all alive and healthy although the blue salvia and blanket flowers were quite small. A cold snap was predicted so I emailed their customer service for some recommendations on the best way to protect the plants, and mentioned that a few of them were very small. Customer service got back to me within a few hours, recommended keeping them inside by a sunny window until it warmed up a bit before hardening them off outside. They also said that if the smaller plants didn't take off and do well over the next few weeks to let them know and they would replace or refund. The rest of the plants (the foxglove collection, alliums, lupines, Hakone grass ) were all a good size. All of the plants (even the tiny ones) are doing well, though the small salvia and blanket flowers will take a season to get any good size.
Neutral BJames1
Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a)
September 14, 2019
Posted on June 19, 2016, updated September 14, 2019
Quality inconsistent. Hostas were small and spring-shipped peony died slowly. Daylilies were okay. Lilies did not bloom expected color but were true-to-type.
On September 14th, 2019, BJames1 added the following:

Summer end of season sale daylilies arrived yellow and brown. Hosta and its replacement were out of container and potting soil was everywhere. Everything lived. Previous daylily orders were surprisingly true to type.
Positive SassyCyn
Mondovi, WI
September 1, 2019
This was the first year I ordered from Gilbert H Wild and Son. I ordered the BOGO daylilies collection a hosta and a couple more daylilies. I also had a coupon for 10 free daylilies. The order came quickly--very quickly! I am redoing my landscaping, so I didn't know where I was going to plant everything. I ended up setting up a staging area to get them in the ground and I'll just move them to a more permanent home next year. Every single plant had new growth showing the next week. I was really happy with the order.

My hosta was small, but I know that with mailorder, the smaller plants seem to really do better for me. There seems to be less stress on the stems. It already has two new leaves on it. Next year, it may be moved to another bed where the clay soil really increases the growth of the hostas.

I was so pleased with my order that I'll be ordering again this week. They've got a deal for $1 hostas and I'll be giving that a try.
Positive veggieflowers
Columbia, MO
August 26, 2019
I have ordered from Wild's for years, sometimes several times a year as I get catalogs and emails with things I can't resist. I have found their plants to be good quality although some are small. However the price is small compared to other companies and I don't mind waiting a year or so for them to get good sized. They have always shipped when they said they would and plants are well packed. A couple times I had plants that failed (not their fault) probably from winter heaving, and they replaced the next year when I told them about it. I've bought the "grab bag" hosta collections and they have done really well. Nothing but good things to say about this company.
Positive cgillett
South Bend, IN
July 26, 2019
Ordered from this company every year for the last three-four years and I have been extremely happy with both quality and price.

Last year, I ordered a lot of clearance daylilies and their mixed daylilies to fill a bone dry patch by the street. The plants were all a decent size. This year I have been really amazed by the show of flowers, lots of flowers, a range of lovely colors - yellow, peach, red.

Also did their handful of hostas deal (25 unnamed varieities) and bought named varieties (Empress Wu and Humpback Whale). The latter two are three years old now and huge. Again, all great quality plants.

I have not had a bad experience with this fine company, one of my favorites.
Positive lisaaj
Columbus, OH
May 12, 2019
I placed my first order with Gilbert Wild this past winter because they had Krinkled White peonies, and for a great price. Their prices were so low, I ordered quite a bit more while I was at it (dahlias, astilbe, a Japanese anemone, oriental poppies, geraniums, bleeding hearts, and a mum), but wasnít expecting much from a company with such low prices. Well, I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well everythingís doing! The plants werenít huge upon arrival , but have all gotten off to a very good start. I will definitely order from Gilbert Wild again!
Negative trustmissy
Bay City, MI
May 10, 2019
I ordered several daylilies from Gilbert H Wild & Sons and am not happy with what they shipped to me. They advertise that they send 2-3 or more divisions per plant yet the plants I received only had one sick looking fan each. I contacted them and sent them pictures and was told that they feel all of the plants except one will do well. They are supposed to be sending me a replacement for the one they admit was in poor shape but I haven't received it yet. I should have stuck with Oakes daylilies because they send quality plants.
Positive contraire
Greenbush, MN
October 19, 2018
We got beautiful products, huge peony roots and everything labeled well . Really happy with everything we have ordered.
Positive treeguy_NY
Clarence, NY (Zone 6a)
May 23, 2018
This was my first time ordering from Gilbert H. Wild and Son. I ordered 6 hostas, 4 peonies, a perennial hibiscus, a butterfly bush, and three daylilies. All arrived well packed, potted, or bare root. The bare root plants had healthy roots and were alive. The daylilies each had a minimum of 2 crowns. The peonies have at least 2 eyes growing on each plant. All plants look good and for a very reasonable price. I will be ordering from them again next year!
Company representative comment on May 24, 2018:
On May 24, 2018 6:10 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

We are so glad to hear that you are pleased with your order. We hope you enjoy your plants for many years to come.

Happy gardening!

Negative ItsEffinSteph
Orangeburg, SC
May 19, 2018
My experience with them is the worst i've ever had with any company. I placed an order for some plants in late april was told that my order would be shipped out in 10 days, well 10 days pass and nothing so i contact them they tell me some excuse then say it'll be the next week they'll be shipped out well that week comes and goes and still nothing so email them again then another excuse then tell me my order will be shipped out early next week well monday, tuesday, wednesday and thursday pass and still nothing so i ended up emailing them telling them to just cancel my order and give me a refund. Which I doubt they will even do because I haven't heard anything back about it so going to contact my credit card company and explain the situation and hopefully can get my money back that way.

I understand things happen but as a company your customers shouldn't be having to email you asking you about their order multiple times then finding out something went wrong. Also the fact that I was receiving multiple emails every few days about new offers for future orders, like you haven't even fulfilled my first order why the hell would i want to make another one let alone keep getting stuff from you (which obviously sending emails out a bunch of times a week worried about getting more orders is probably why they were so slow) it just added insult to injury. I recently got into flowers and was so excited to finally make my front garden beautiful but now I can't even do that because of them, way too hot to garden outside right now and most of the plants I got had to be planted in spring for them to bloom on time. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER.
Company representative comment on May 23, 2018:
On May 23, 2018 10:27 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

We had a late arrival of Spring, which put us behind on shipping. We have hired additional help and have worked over 50 hours a week trying to get all orders shipped. We have shipped over 19,000 orders this spring. We know this is frustrating for you, the customer, as it is frustrating for us. However, Mother Nature is something we cannot control. Your order was canceled and refunded to your credit card.

If you have further questions, you are welcome to call us at 888-449-4537, or email [email protected]

Negative Jim1945
Jamestown, RI
May 17, 2018
I ordered two daylilies early in the year and asked that they be delivered in May since I am in zone 6. When they arrived there was a note on the packing slip that they had a crop failure on one. I was left with one plant and a shipping charge nearly equal to the cost of the daylily. If they had alerted be to the crop failure anytime before shipping I could have added to the order to make the shipping less costly per plant. The one they sent was very small, a tiny single frond the size that most growers toss out. They included a "bonus" that was nothing I could use and was soft and rotten. I ended up with a single daylily that will take a least a year, perhaps more, to grow to blooming size. Their "guarantee" states they will issue a credit if there is a problem. I emailed them and asked that they ship a reasonably sized plant, but if they would not there was no need for a credit as I would not be ordering again in that case. I guess they have no interest in making their customers happy as I never got a replay .
Company representative comment on May 23, 2018:
On May 23, 2018 10:38 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

Jim,

We try our best to provide wonderful plants at great prices. Occasionally, we have crop failures. We did not know about the crop failure until it was time to ship your order. Rather than sending you a bad plant, we issued you credit and refunded your Discover card for the price of the plant. When you notified us about the Snaggle Tooth being too small, we replied by giving you a merchandise credit for that item, as we were sold out so we could not give replacements. We're unsure why you did not receive the reply to your email, perhaps it went to your junk mail folder. You do, however, have a merchandise credit for the Snaggle Tooth daylily in the amount of $15.00 that can be used on any future order. We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration that you had with your order.

If you have any further questions, please call us at 888-449-4537 or email [email protected].

Positive Jules17
Galloway, OH
January 17, 2018
Good sized roots for reasonable prices compared to other companies.
All of the ones I ordered made it.
Here's a look at what the roots look like:

[[email protected]]
Positive AnnaWild
Kansas City, MO
October 14, 2017
I ordered some peonies and a few daylillies from Gilbert H Wild & Sons for fall 2017. The peony divisions were more robust than those I had ordered from Eden Bros earlier this year (shouldn't have bothered with spring planting). Of the seven peonies ordered from GHW&S only one had 3 eyes, most had 5, one even had 7! Larger eyes on the 3 and smaller on the 7. Everything arrived well packed; peonies bagged in lightly damp pine shavings and labeled by variety, daylillies labeled and in the box with shredded newspaper. Got a bonus daylily, too.

Their pricing was quite competitive, and it was nice to be ordering from a co that has been growing peonies in my region for over 100 years. Looking forward to how everything grows!
Positive ncbill
West Jefferson, NC
October 13, 2017
Posted on May 11, 2017, updated October 13, 2017
Posted on June 13, 2015, updated May 11, 2017
Posted on May 13, 2015, updated June 13, 2015
I have had wonderful experiences buying from Gilbert H. Wild.

All of the plants I have ordered have been beautiful, and of hundreds of plants, only one has died.

I have gotten incredible deals on Hosta and Day Lilies. The more expensive "named" Hosta collections are also a great value, and I have been thrilled with the named and un-named hosta and day lily packages I have purchased.

The first time I ordered from Wild, I think 3 years ago, I was kind of amazed (and definitely thrilled) by the size and health of the hosta roots I received. I could not wait to order again--right away I ordered more. And I bought beautiful named day lilies on clearance last fall, at insanely great prices. I just placed another order today...I have absolutely no doubt that I will receive gorgeous healthy plants. One of the best, and possibly the very best company I have ever ordered plants from. I have recommended them to several friends and family members, all of whom have been delighted with the plants they bought from Wild.

I read some of these negative reviews, and it sounds like those folks had some bad experiences. My experience with this company is 100% positive, through several years, through multiple orders totaling at least 500 plants.
On June 13th, 2015, ncbill added the following:

I placed a couple of orders with Wild this season. One huge order of Hosta (about 160 plants), and a small gift order of Iris.

My orders were shipped quickly. The plants were well packed, healthy and nice sizes. The bargain "handful of hosta" bare roots were so big and healthy, many of them had full-size leaves just one week after going in the ground. My late-season order had a couple of substitutions, not a big deal for me.

Never a disappointment. Great plants, quick service. I had occasion to email and phone the company with questions this year, and customer service was great.

Great service and great value. Love this company.
On May 11th, 2017, ncbill added the following:

Received another great batch of plants from Gilbert H. Wild a couple days ago. Daylilies were gorgeous, huge plants. Almost every daylily could have been divided, and still would have been more substantial than the plants shipped (at full price) by other vendors. Hosta, Heuchera and Iris plants were beautifully packed, nice sizes, gorgeous plants. All of the named cultivars were marked with appropriate, legible, durable labels.

Some of Wild's prices, for the more "desirable" (newest) cultivars are just average. However, they always have BOGO Free specials, a "clearance" section, and "Collections" that bundle together groups of plants for significant discounts. The "Handfuls" offerings, assorted Hosta and assorted Daylilies, 100 plants for 100 bucks, is one of the best values around. Period.

I speculate that Gilbert Wild, with their interesting selections, sometimes attracts shoppers who are more accustomed to shopping the pricy, hold-your-hand, kiss-your-butt boutique nurseries that we all love, but far fewer of us can afford.

If your expectation is to order and quickly receive healthy, beautiful plants with a minimum of fuss and at very reasonable prices, you will almost certainly be very pleased with Wild. Of all the vendors I order from, Gilbert Wild is probably the best value, the most bang for your buck.

On October 13th, 2017, ncbill added the following:

Gilbert H. Wild remains one of my very favorite plant purveyors. I ordered lots from them this season, and was very pleased with almost everything. One order, out of about 12 orders this season, was disappointing--poorly packed and some very, very small hosta plugs that had obviously just been placed in some loose potting medium in larger pots. It was not the quality of merchandise and not the careful shipping that I have come to expect from Wild. That was the only time I ever requested replacements. I had quite a lot of plants from that order that did not survive. I only requested two replacements, and they were sent without incident, and the replacements were extra-nice plants. Lots of great deals on hostas, daylilies (huge!), foxgloves, heuchera, primroses, irises--everything healthy. Packing is generally as good as it gets, with everything properly marked and packed for safe shipment. I had a few occasions to call the Wild office, and experienced great, friendly customer service every time except once, when I spoke with someone who was very snippy with absolutely no cause to be. Gilbert Wild, one of my favorite purveyors, isn't perfect--one order (out of about 30+ total orders) that wasn't up to their own high standards, and one short conversation with someone who wasn't having a good day. I might downgrade Wild from an A+ to an A, except I still have to compare them to all the other vendors, in which case they remain among the best of the best. A+ and highly recommended.
Positive snowdog
Alanson, MI
September 25, 2017
Posted on September 25, 2017, updated September 25, 2017
I love GHW! They are the only company I use now for my perennials. I just received my fall order of peonies and they awesome! They are nuzzled happily in the ground! The coneflower and aster collections they offer are second to none in my opinion! Their catalog is the only one I keep. I'm kind of a peony, lily and daylily guy so I'm thinking of having my DNA tested to see if I have any Wild genes in me! I used the positive reviews from Dave's Garden to order from them the first time and I am so glad I did. Disregard the negative comments here. They are a top notch company and if you have a problem with an order they will make it right!
On September 25th, 2017, snowdog added the following:

Positive OneBloomAtATime
Greenwich, NY
September 15, 2017
Today I received my order (this is at least my 7th order over past several years) from Gilbert H Wild. I simply cannot possibly convey my appreciation of this company in words! I will highlight some points from the last few years of orders.

1) INCREDIBLE VALUE for unique perennial varieties simply not available at local nurseries in upstate New York.

2) QUALITY Of PRODUCTS. Peony roots are substantial 3-5 eye (majority received are on the 5 side...sometimes more). All varieties of Hosta I've received over the year have taken hold and thrived. The Iris plants I planted last spring grew so well, I was able to divide this fall into 3-6 healthy fans and replanted.

3) COMPANY COMMITMENT TO CUSTOMER...the owner will answer and speak with customers directly...really pleasant surprise. I saw Greg's direct line in a previous post. I expected voicemail, but was surprised by an immediate live voice.

4) SHIPPING AND PACKAGING. Again significant value on shipping cost (free once minimum order met, even small orders are reasonable) . Potted plants are individually protected by plastic bags to keep plant from shifting in containers, then surrounded by cardboard "tubes" for further protection.. a real class act!

The negative feedback posted are truly from anomaly orders. I certainly don't have insight to the previous negative post details...I'm sure things can just happen and plants do not makes the transition from harvesting--> shipping-->replanting.

I personally will return again and again. Thank you to Gilbert H Wild for adding more color to my world!

Bottom line....this is a company one can order from with confidence!

Positive ImaLilyGirl
Omaha, NE
July 13, 2017
A+++++++ GILBERT H. WILD & Son!!!!
I ordered from 6 companies this year. I have had HORRID experiences with another company (Farmer Seed Company - total frauds). So I was SO HAPPY and RELIEVED to get GREAT SERVICE from GILBERT H. WILD & SON!

The plants I received were lush and beautiful. The packaging was very protective and well labeled.

Additionally, I contacted when one flower was a bit small and didn't seem to do well and it was a higher price daylily, Diva's Choice. Well they IMMEDIATELY shipped me a new one. They were so kind and professional. That won me over. It is to be expected that some plants will have issue and the seller can not always foresee those occurrence. Plants are delicate. The seller's response is what counts.

When I look at all that I planted this year (easily spent $600-$1,000 on plants this year) I must say the some of the most gorgeous blooms and greatest growth are the ones from Gilbert H. Wild and Son.

I realize there are a couple negative comments below, however, it looks like at least one was very unfair and left out details. After dealing with Farmer Seed Companies horror, I am going to be VERY PICKY and only companies I trust will receive future orders.

When I email GHWS - they have responded all 3 times, very quickly. I emailed them a dumb question just yesterday to see if they would reply again. They did the very next day.

Thank you GILBERT H. WILD and SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! Flowers bring me joy and your service made me smile!
Positive flowermaiden2
Saint Maries, ID
May 25, 2017
This is the first time I've ordered from Gilbert H. Wild and Son. It's always nice when I can leave a positive review. The Curry Up Coreopsis they sent is nice and green and of a good size. It was packed very well and arrived with no damage. It should do well.
Negative rak29572
Gallion, AL
May 16, 2017
Placed an order for Bleeding Heart collection and Coneflower collection. Planted them as soon as they arrived. Within 2 weeks 2 of the Coneflowers and one Bleeding Heart were dead. I called customer service and they said they would send replacements. When I opened the replacements I was shocked at the quality of the plants. One coneflower was just a cylinder of mud and the Bleeding Heart had one live root the others were rotten and falling off. This time when I called customer service they were not nice at all. The lady keep arguing that there had to be some roots or leaves on the replacement coneflower. I told here that I had taken pictures of it as soon as I opened the box. She was not interested in seeing pictures. I can't believe anyone would send 'plants' of such poor quality. She informed me that I would receive store credit because they could not continue to ship replacements. When I tried to use my store credit I found out I would have to pay shipping and handling charges. When I called to ask why when I had paid shipping and handling on the original order she got rude in explaining that was their policy to only give you credit for the plants. I was given a store credit for $8.76 but would have to pay $8.00 shipping and handling to use it. I don't believe you should have to pay twice. I won't be using the store credit or order from them again.
Company representative comment on May 16, 2017:
On May 16, 2017 7:28 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

we have shipped over 12,000 order this spring and have had a handful of negatives that keep me awake. We work very hard to please our customer. All I can say is we do mess up but try VERY hard to please our customers. Sometime I just can't make everyone happy. Greg Jones. Owner.

Positive b_schr
Wayne, NE (Zone 4b)
May 3, 2017
Have ordered several plants from Wild for 2 or 3 years. Ordered and received another this year. Remain very satisfied with them.
Negative gerisocd
Milwaukee, WI
May 1, 2017
I placed a large order with Wild last year.This spring, based on their one year guarantee, I called about 3 plants for a merchandise credit. The young lady I spoke with could only be described as snippy and told me I should have called last year. I explained that I was giving them the benefit of the doubt as sometimes a weak perennial comes through stronger the next year. She did not care.
So I emailed customer service and asked for the credit so I could apply it to this year's order. I received no response. About a week later, I resent the email with an additional note. Again, no response.
It seems Wild is happy to send their plants as long as they are not bothered again after that.
Company representative comment on May 2, 2017:
On May 2, 2017 5:49 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

THIS IS NOT FAIR! WE RESPOND TO EVERY EMAIL DAILY! The most frustrating part of Dave's gardens is that an individual may make anonymous comments. We can only fix a problem when we know the problem. There are only three people in the office and we discussed your comment and none of us remember speaking with you. We keep all our e-mail and cannot find any correspondence. You will notice below I ALWAYS respond. I have my personal phone number 417.548.3517 listed here and below, and if your not happy just call me! We stand behind our guarantee, will honor our guarantee, but you have to communicate with us. Greg Jones - Owner - GH Wilds. Our correct e-mail is [email protected] or mine is [email protected] What other Company puts the owner name and direct phone number and e-mail address?

On May 2, 2017 8:41 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son added:

Well we think we figured out who you are and ask you to call with no avail. Also e-mail requesting response. Here is a copy of an e-mail that was sent on 4.28.17. Did you receive this e-mail which clearly states that you were given a credit. Please call the nursery 417.548.3514

From: Gilbert H Wild Customer Service [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 1:27 PM
To: 'GERI
Subject: RE: Help with merchandise credit

Iím sorry, we did reply to your email last week letting you know that we had issued you a merchandise credit per our policy in the amount of $22.05 that could be used on any future order. Iím not sure why you did not receive this email.
When ordering online, just make sure to put a comment when checking out that you would like the credit applied to the order. As long as you DO NOT pay with PayPal, we can apply the credit when the order comes through to us. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Customer Service

417-548-3514

Positive midohio_garden
Jeromesville, OH
May 1, 2017
Given the number of negative ratings and comments, I did have some reservations about ordering from this company. But their spring sale prices enticed me to give it a try. I ordered several dozen different on-sale daylilies for $2.50 each and quite a few BOGO's for $5.00 or less.

I waited a while for the order to arrive, and when it did I was out of town. It sat on my porch for 4 days before I opened it. I was wonderfully surprised. These were big, sizeable roots with still green foliage. The potted ones were in one case almost 18" tall.

I don't know what causes the apparent variation in their service or quality, but in my case for about $80 I got big healthy daylilies that would have cost me hundreds of dollars had I bought them from any of the other online sellers I looked at.

I will definitely buy from them again and will continue to do so as long as the quality of their product remains this high.
Positive mussdoghcc
Sac City, IA
April 26, 2017
Great massive peony roots!!! Very satified with all the plants. The UPS man kinda beat your packaging up a bit and a few plant were out of the packages but not really you fault.
Negative madelf
Rome, OH
April 26, 2017
Very small , poor looking plants this year and to add to that they sent a dandylion root in with 2 other small roots of prairie blue eyes. When I complained about the dandylion they did not even say so much as I am sorry! That's all it would of took to have me not writing this!!!!

Company representative comment on April 26, 2017:
On Apr 26, 2017 12:38 PM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

We are so sorry for the Dandelion that was in your plants. we work very hard to be sure that you don't have to pull any additional weeds in the garden. If you feel the that the plants are to small, please return them for a full refund. Please call me to discuss. Greg Jones 417.548.3517, I usually in the office from 5:30 am to 3:30pm.

Positive ileen
Beachwood, OH
April 14, 2017
very pleased with how plants arrived. I ordered foxglove, poppies and canna. good value.
Positive raestr
Montgomery, AL
February 6, 2017
Posted on January 20, 2016, updated February 6, 2017
I have ordered from GW for the past 2 years and I have been pleased both times. I have only ordered daylilies and a couple of irises. The plants are always packed well and they are healthy plants with good roots. I will say a few of the daylilies could have used a larger container because their root balls were so large. Most everything bloomed the first year, but not all. That's ok, I know that sometimes it takes a year for the plant to bloom. However, even the plants that didn't bloom grew larger. Neither iris I ordered bloomed last year and a few of the daylilies did not bloom so I look forward to seeing those this summer. I just placed my third order with GW last week and this time I am trying a few hostas and some more daylilies. I am looking forward to getting my box in March!
On February 6th, 2017, raestr added the following:

Just an update on the plants I received last March. As usual, the daylilies were very nice. The hostas were inconsistent. I received a few very nice sized plants, especially the Wheee hosta I ordered. However, others were very small. I will say, all of the hosta made it through the summer, and the summer of 2016 was very hot and dry here. I expect all of the hosta to emerge this spring, but I will have to wait and see.
Negative SodBusterr
February 1, 2017
I was unhappy with the small size of the daylilies I received, some were quite dry. Gave them the benefit of the doubr and planted them anyway. Two years later I am still unhappy with them, few or no blooms, scraggly foliage. I am going to dig them up this spring. Never, never, order from them again.
Company representative comment on February 2, 2017:
On Feb 2, 2017 5:42 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

I am so sorry that your plants are not growing now. I would love to know how they come out in the spring. I would like to help you with your plants and meet your expectations. Please call me - Greg Jones the owner at 417.548.3514.

Positive carolmo
Olathe, KS (Zone 5a)
October 19, 2016
I ordered very late in the season to get iris - I ordered 9 iris and 3 daylilies. Emailed to know when they would ship - got email explaining why they were not shipped yet (rain in fields). Just received package - all well protected - all labeled - some even in little pots. Free gift of daylily. All are now planted - the tops are green - the roots systems are great - I am pleased (as always). Have ordered for years - saw fields once long time ago and met old owner - started growing daylilies and iris from him. Once they quit growing iris but later started growing them again. Their prices are great. Last fall I ordered lilies and peonies - they are doing great. (My favorite daylily has been Real Wind - I waited until the price went down and I could afford it.)
Neutral mjsteff71
Le Roy, IL
June 26, 2016
Posted on June 25, 2016, updated June 26, 2016
Posted on June 1, 2016, updated June 25, 2016
I ordered 2 All Gold Hykone grass and 2 perennial Allegro Poppy. The poppies look barely alive with several dead leaves and maybe 2-3 green leaves on each plant. I decided to keep and see if I can nurse them back.

Apparently they were all out of the All Gold Grass so they shipped 2 Variegated Hykone Grass. When I called them and told them they had shipped me the wrong item they said it was substituted because they were out of the All Gold and that gentleman said they are virtually the same grass. I stated that they are not the same.

He said I could send them back and I asked if I would have to pay shipping and he said yes. I told him I did not order them and was charged for them and now I have to pay shipping? Really? He sounded disgruntled and then asked for my last name and zip code and said that he has issued a $16.00 credit. I assumed that I would be credited back to my charge card since after the experience I did not want to order anything else from them. Apparently it is a merchandise credit to order more....sigh.

I still have not seen the credit nor do I even know where to look. When you do email them, they give you very short answers that really don't explain anything. I guess I will try to use the credit and then I can be done with them.

On June 25th, 2016, mjsteff71 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Company sent me a full refund.
On June 26th, 2016, mjsteff71 added the following:

Company sent me a full refund.
Company representative comment on June 1, 2016:
On Jun 1, 2016 10:47 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

Matt - I am so sorry you felt rushed. We had hundreds of calls on Tuesday after the Memorial Day Holiday and we try to serve every customer. Don't worry about your credit, I just issued a full refund to your card. I am again sorry to disappoint. We have shipped nearly 20,000 orders this spring and this is the 2nd negative....it bothers me greatly when we fail a customer. Greg Jones - Owner - 417.548.3517 direct line.

Positive mystlw
Dayton, OH
June 12, 2016
I was very nervous about placing an order with this company, having read the reviews here. But I placed an order for three daylilies and a hibiscus on May 25th, which didn't ship for a week (the website stated that orders would be shipped after May 31st, it was made very clear).
Shipping took a bit, UPS handed off to USPS, and my order arrived on June 7th, FIVE days ago. In those five days, my hibiscus has become lush and green -- and is sending up a couple of new branches -- my daylilies are growing in, and one of them is actually sending up a bract! I'll get blooms this year!
My bonus plant was three bulbs of a beautiful Navona lily, one of which has already popped up through the soil it's planted in.
I understand that some have had negative dealings with this company, but mine has been nothing but positive. If I had based my choice to order on the other negative reviews, I wouldn't have my beautiful Pink Elephant hibiscus and my gorgeous daylilies. I will definitely order from this company again.
Positive Peonylover85
Nashville,
United States
May 20, 2016
By far the BEST PEONIES I have ever seen/received! I will only order from GILBERT H WILD from now on. The best quality, service, all true to name peonies. I will recommend them to everyone I know - and I can't wait to order some dayliies next time, as I have only heard great things from this company!
Negative connoisseur
Indianapolis, IN
May 17, 2016
On an order of peonies, none of them were true to name. Like ordering from a grab bag. Customer Service is rude and will only give credits on erratic plants--meaning that you have to pay new shipping charge and reach into the grab bag again.
Positive pegplants
Lancaster, PA
May 10, 2016
I have ordered daylilies over the years from Wild and have really gotten some lovely bargains. This year I decided to branch out and order a lily bulb collection, some dahlias, and iris in addition to a couple of daylilies. The items were shipped in a reasonable time. Everything was well packed, the bulbs are nice sized and well labeled. Looking forward to a pretty garden!
Positive axess2016
Ashuelot, NH
April 28, 2016
I decided to take a chance on this company after receiving a catalog from them and reading the reviews on Davesgarden's Watchdog section.

I made 2 orders in March and began the wait until it was safe to ship here (NH - zone 5s(b)). I just recently received my orders on April 27 and I was very excited to see the condition of the plants and bulbs. EVERYTHING was amazing! Sadly, one Butterfly Bush got damaged in the shipping process. But, the friendly people at GH Wild said they will send out a replacement on May 9.

The plants were all packaged VERY well and in excellent condition. The plants, bulbs, bare-roots, and tubers were all top quality! I even got a free Daylily in each shipment!

I cannot say enough nice things about this company and the people who work there! I am very, very happy with my order and will order from them again next year to fill in some empty spaces. I have had some seriously bad experiences with mail-order plants - especially from QVC's 2 vendors (you probably know who they are). From both of them, I have received tiny plants that were barely alive and paid WAY more than I paid with GH Wild.

This company is excellent, professional, efficient, and friendly! Their plants are absolutely top notch! For your money - and your peace of mind - you can't go wrong with GH Wild!
Positive madill
Madill, OK
March 31, 2016
I have ordered from Gilbert H. Wild for almost 20 years. I make an order at least every 2-3 years and I received my most recent order last week. Everything but the cannas are planted and growing. The only time I have had a failure was due to my own negligence or lack of love from Mother Nature. I highly recommend the company and that are favorite!!!!