The scoop on 'Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)'

Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)

4943 Ridge Road
Wadsworth, Ohio 44281 (United States)

Phone: 330) 239-0506
Fax: 1-440-378-4023

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive ronbug4444
Sumter, SC
January 18, 2021
This is my third time ordering from Hirt's. I love the fact that I can get smaller versions of plants that I find in more expensive nurseries.I'm the type of person who enjoys watching plants grow...I don't care for the instant satisfaction of larger plants. Every plant I've purchased from here has grown, except one, ['All That Glows' Viburnum] and that was my fault. (over watered) I understand that people complain that the plants are small, but they are a good size for the price. Go to a nursery and price larger or similar sized specimens!
Positive cwalke
Longview, WA (Zone 8b)
November 5, 2020
I ordered a specific aster plant that I was obsessed with through Walmart's online site(!) this month because it was the only place that had it for sale this late in the season. On the Walmart site it noted that the plant was supplied by Hirts. I was a bit nervous about the whole thing but really wanted this plant so I bit the bullet and ordered.
The plant arrived quickly and was extremely well packaged...a gallon pot, with no loose soil and the foliage protected with bubble wrap. The plant was stocky and very healthy and it has been acclimated and planted out already. Very pleased with the quality of plants from this company and may order directly from them in the future.
Positive Amg22000
Cumming, GA
August 7, 2020
My experience with Hirt's has been good. I have ordered from them several times, and plants usually arrive in great condition. Recently had some plants arrive with damage from shipping. I emailed pictures of the damage and received a response right away that the plants and shipping were being refunded. I plan to continue ordering from Hirt's in the future. Thanks!
Negative figaro52
Lakes of the Four Seasons, IN (Zone 5a)
June 25, 2020
Super fast shipping; however, less than desirable quality. I ordered 3 clematis -- Jackmanii Superba. Nothing superb about them. I knew they were going to be small (that's why I ordered 3), but they were very poor quality. One of the vines was about a foot long with leaves only at the top. One of the others completely broke off at the soil line as I was repotting. Live and learn. Based on this experience I'd say don't waste your money on this vendor.
Positive plympton
Plympton, MA
April 29, 2020
I've used the ratings here to help me find vendors for many years. Seeing the amount of negative ratings for this company, I was reluctant to purchase a dozen plants---but the price was untouchable anywhere else. So, I looked for reviews on the company at other sites and found they were much more favorable. Without trying to read too much into it, I decided to roll the dice and see what happens.

To my great relief, all the plants arrived perfectly packed and in excellent condition. Very happy with the purchase
Positive tngardener865
Knoxville, TN
April 26, 2020
I've had 3 orders with Hirts and great experiences each time, the plants are all healthy and larger than I would've expected from the price, shipping is extremely prompt and everything is well packaged. I have had to go through their customer service once to cancel an order and had zero issues, will definitely keep my eye out for some of their unique offerings for future orders!
Positive mmbusby02
Saint Petersburg, FL
April 24, 2020
I had a really fantastic experience with Hirt's. They shipped what I ordered the day after I ordered it, and it arrived to me in 2 days. The plants were well-packed and excellent shape. And they have been doing well since I've planted them.
Positive msmeow
Butler, PA
March 9, 2020
I had a good experience with this company. I ordered two hoyas from them; they arrived healthy and in good condition. I did have to wait a little while to receive them from time of order (several weeks), but that was due to the cold temperatures, unsuitable for shipping plants. I think that their prices and shipping charges are reasonable, and I would not hesitate to order from them again, as they have plants that are difficult to find elsewhere. I had no problems whatsoever. Just be aware that it may take over a week or longer to receive your plants, but that they arrive in good shape and are healthy. Will buy from again.
Negative pterostyrax
Seattle, WA
March 8, 2020
Posted on March 8, 2020, updated March 8, 2020
I ordered Katharine's Gold iris from them. What came up this spring was not Katharine's Gold.
On March 8th, 2020, pterostyrax added the following:

I wrote to them about it and received the reply, in full, "Apply more phosphorus fertilizer in the fall and that will increase the yellow color". This is horticultural nonsense. I believe they sent me Katharine Hodgkin instead. VERY unimpressed with customer service.
Neutral RoomForOneMore
Citrus Heights, CA
February 28, 2020
Ordered two plants. They arrived as dead sticks in 2.5" pots. The plants when dormant are not like this - just twigs with no soil connection - we tipped them out and checked.

I complained at the website and was asked to send pics, which I did. A refund appeared the same day. No comments/suggestions/apologies so I guess they'd rather not send more or deal with disgruntled customers. I would not order from them again.
Negative Htran850
Los Angeles ,
February 19, 2020
I recently ordered two plants from hirts garden.
A peperomia prostrata (string of turtles) and a ceropegia linearis woodii (string of DAGGERS).
The string of daggers is a close cousin of the string of hearts plant which I'm familiar with as I have 3 large plants of the HEARTS variety and one DAGGER variety that I have been growing for a while now (not from Alan Hirts but from actual honest sellers).

For starters, these plants are EXPENSIVE for tiny 2" pots. So my expectations are that they are gonna be good investments.

Fast forward to receiving the goods.
Instead of what I ordered (string of TURTLES & string of DAGGERS), this guy sends me 2 string of HEARTS.

After several back and forth emails with photos, he finally Sends a partial refund for string of turtles only because he says "What a joke.............String of Daggers is the same genus and species as String of Hearts."

Alan you are a joke and a scam artist at best.
Don't buy from this guy. There are a lot of sellers who are honest and customer service oriented and will work with you. I've been buying plants online for a couple of years now and have had good luck with many online sellers including Etsy shops. I've never had quite an experience as I've had with Alan hirts. You should google his shop reviews too, they are eye opening...wish I had seen sooner before my purchase as mid-shipments of plants are a regular occurrence.

If you do decide to take a chance with Alan hirts, don't buy direct from his website. Take your risk through his Etsy or eBay shop because if you do (and you will) run into a problem with this guy, you can dispute it at least without dealing with his shadiness directly. Good luck to whomever decides to try your luck with hirts garden. Didn't say I didn't warn you
Positive tararible
Batavia, OH
February 10, 2020
I have to be honest - there are quite a few mixed reviews out there about Hirt's, so I was a little nervous ordering, especially given the low prices. But sometimes I take the opinions of others with a grain of salt (some people are just never happy) and ordered a few small plants I've been searching for to add to my collection through their website. And let me just say - I was pleasantly surprised! My new plant babies arrived safely and so quickly! Opening that box totally made my day!!! All of them were well-packed, healthy and arrived in beautiful condition! If I'm splitting hairs, there was one tiny leaf on the crocodile fern I had to prune, but I think it had been that way prior to shipment. And they put tape around the pots/soil, so take your time to carefully remove. Bottom line - great selection of hard-to-find plants at bargain prices!
Negative GypsySoul77
Franktown, CO
February 7, 2020
I've ordered several times from here and each time was really not a good experience. I don't know why I continued to order, but I won't again. The customer service is terrible. My orders showed up with items missing or damaged.

I messaged and sent photos of my plants upon arrival and got excuses or brushed off. My most recent order I had emailed five times or more with plants that arrived in terrible. I finally got a message back stating "live plant sales online are final". Well, if you send me a dead plant and I email you immediately, good customer service would be to refund the plants.

They have a decent selection but dealing with the service isn't worth it. I'd shop elsewhere if I were you.
Negative sunrider5
New Port Richey, FL,
January 27, 2020
Posted on January 26, 2020, updated January 27, 2020
I placed my first online order at Hirt's Gardens for 4 plants in Jan 2020. The order arrived fairly quickly; however, when I opened the box there was dirt everywhere. Plus, three of the plants were listed as being in 3" pots and 1 in a 2.5" pot, but all 4 plants were in 2.5" pots! And, a crown of thorns plant priced at $5.99 is tiny at barely 1.5" x 2", which means it will probably take years to become a nice size plant since it is a slow grower and only needs to be repotted every two years.

Disappointed and feeling ripped off! Caveat emptor!!!
On January 27th, 2020, sunrider5 added the following:

UPDATE: Hirt's Gardens says they measure their square pots on the diagonal. This means they consider a 2.5" x 2.5" square pot a 3" pot. I've never purchased a square plant pot with dimensions that were not listed by length x width x depth, nor have I found any greenhouse growing pots listed online using measurements on the diagonal. Makes me wonder how they'd list the size of a rectangular pot. Personally, I think Hirt's is being very deceptive by saying they use this method of measuring.
Neutral renee20
Columbus, OH
December 31, 2019
After reading mostly negative reviews, I decided to see for myself if Hirt's was as bad as most were saying. I placed my first order with Hirt's in Dec. 2019. I ordered 5 plants, and received within 4 days of placing the order. The plants were packaged and packed well (no soil mess to clean up).. The plants were absolutely beautiful and healthy, even the roots, the potting medium was fresh--not any damaged to one leaf!!! I was thrilled, and I immediately placed an order for three plants, two ferns and a tricolor prayer plant. I, again, received my order within 4 days--great!! All three plants were well protected with bubble wrapped and a heat pack was included (that I hadn't paid for, nice right?!) I began to unwrapped one plant (Boston Fern) and soil and water came drizzling out, the fern was drenched, leaves smashed and stems broken--it had maybe 3 long stems/frons (2 broken) and maybe 4 black dried stems laid on the side of the pot, the roots were showing, no soil covered half of the pot--not healthy. The second plant, another fern, in the same condition, both will need to be nursed. The only decent plant with good soil was the prayer plant. So, if I could rate my experience, I would give Hirt's 2.5 stars out of 5 stars. I am truly disappointed in Hirt's. I am not going to ask for refund or replacement because in the reviews it stated Hirt's doesn't admit fault, do refunds or replacements, so buyer beware is all I can say.
Positive Suze1
Dodge Center, MN
June 17, 2019
It's a leap of faith to place a first-time order with a garden catalog. I'm extremely pleased with my purchase of 48 Pink Lightning Ajuga Plants. I placed the order on Friday and they arrived on Monday. The plants were well rooted with fresh leaves; a couple were even beginning to bud. I will definitely order again.
Neutral DarlaSue
Cheyenne, WY
May 15, 2019
Posted on May 13, 2019, updated May 15, 2019
I ordered plants through Amazon and they came from Hirt's. It was a very large order and included many lavender. All of the lavender looked weak when it arrived, but a few of them were dying and the rest died after they were planted. However, Hirt's was the only source I could find for Lavender Thyme, and although the website states "no refunds," I was given a partial refund the first time, so I decided to give them another chance. The plants arrived today. All of them are dying and completely bone dry. The Apple Mint had yellow leaves all over the plant. There is a plant in the box that I am assuming is Lavender Thyme--it's not labeled. The plants were wrapped in plastic and squished on top of each other--I've never received plants packaged like these. I also ordered peppermint seeds. The seeds say "Mint" and the description says it has a "peppermint scent." I wish I could remember how I ordered the plants so I could send a picture, but the paypal deduction says it came from Hirt's and the Hirt's website says I didn't buy anything from them. I suspect the problem is in the warehouse--at some point, these plants were alive. If this company wishes to continue doing business they will have to examine their packaging or go back to the beginning as a local nursery. Their reputation is already lost.
On May 15th, 2019, DarlaSue changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

When I sent an email to Matt Hirt along with photos of the plants he immediately refunded my money and apologized for the inconvenience. Yes, to me, an apology goes a long way. I did receive two items--Apple Mint and the peppermint seeds--that were fine in this order.
Negative mawitthoft
Oak Lawn, IL
May 14, 2019
Have a problem with the tomato plants I received. Plants are a mess. Not a straight plant in the bunch, bent and broken leaf stems, top leader part of plant at least five are broken off and were broken off before shipping as none of the tops were in the box.
They are so over grown there is not one that will stand up and most stems are curled up and deformed. I don't know why these would have even been sent out. I attached pictures and I have 19 more if they wanted to see those.

I requested replacements if they have plants in better condition or refund. If they wanted I would put them back in the box and send them back.
Also whoever packed them up put the packs in the box facing each other instead of next to each other and with their bent and curling stems were a mess to separate.
Needs retraining on how to pack delicate plants. The styrofoam peanuts for packaging and bubblewrap, & dry soil did not help. I have never received plants that looked like they were gotten off the trash pile and sent out. Their reply was "the plants will be fine. tomatoes can be planted deeply and they will root all along the buried stem resulting in a fuller plant." Not even an apology. They had several other items I would have liked to order but after this experience I will not be buying from them ever again.
Positive BostonPlanted
Boston, MA (Zone 5b)
May 3, 2019
I have had mixed results with Hirts in the past. Dealing in barefoot plants has inherent difficulties so i am sympathetic towards that but also cautious.

My recent order arrived quickly! I ordered 50 strawberry plants because they had both varieties I wanted and at a great price. The bare root plants arrived with large root clusters. The plants were clearly arrived and started thriving within days.

Unfortunately I also ordered a "Romeo" bush cherry. The plant was the correct size but was also clearly dead. It arrived desiccated wrapped in completely dry paper towels. No fibrous roots and the twigs just snapped off with no green core.

I contacted Hirts and they were great. They asked me to plant it and try to wait 2 weeks to check for any growth, then contact at them back. I gave the cherry a soak and planted it in a pot and doted on it. Two weeks later still dead. I contacted Hirts and within minutes they sent me a refund for the plant.

I didn't get a plant I wanted but the strawberry plants were great and the customer service was excellent.
Neutral Sophiar728
Exeter, NH
October 25, 2018
Posted on October 25, 2018, updated October 25, 2018
Iíve ordered from hirts three times now. Iíve gotten Aglaonemas, a philodendron ďSwiss cheese vineĒ, peperomias, and a fiddle leaf fig. Iíve also ordered a Sansevieria TWICE now. Never have recieved it.

Each plant Iíve actually recieved has been great. The shipping is fast and the plants are as pictured, and really pretty- at a great price.

My issue lies with the sansevieria. Iíve bought and paid for this thing twice now.. and just never got it. The first time I thought it was a mistake, so I emailed Matt. He said it was out of stock and sent me a new order form, with the sans Xíd put and a note that I had been refunded.

The second time I emailed him again asking if he could send me the new order form just like last time, so that I could have in my records that this had not been sent to me, with written confirmation of the refund. He was very curt and rude- saying ďI can not. You attached the order form with your email.Ē I was like, yeah I know but it says on here that the sans is in my shipment, but itís not. I assume itís out of stock yet again and Iíd like a written record that it wasnít sent to me and Iím not being charged. He responded to my email with the proper order form. Thatís it- no apology or any other words just the form. Kinda ďmehĒ customer service but whatever.

My suggestion would be- if someone orders something and itís out of stock by the time you go to mail it, you really should send them an email or refund notice or at the very least include a packing slip with the shipment that says ďnot in stock, wasnít sent to customer, customer refundedĒ. I like to have a paper trail when it comes to my money because if I look on my account and am still charged for it, I have no proof I didnít get it. You know what I mean?

I also feel like overselling things once is excusable. But twice? They need to keep an updated online inventory that correlates with their in-house inventory. It said that multiple were available when I purchased it. I have no clue why I canít seem to actually receive it. Itís very odd Iíve never experienced this before, and I shop 99% online these days.
On October 25th, 2018, Sophiar728 added the following:

I want to make an additional comment to touch upon their packing methods. I understand how people are frustrated. When I ordered my pilea glauca, the masking tape was very irritating. Pilea glauca has very very tiny, fragile leaves and a lot were torn off the plant while I was removing the tape. Itís definitely not the way I pack plants to ship when I sell and I would encourage hirts to find another way. It can get very messy. The packing peanuts arenít really great either- as they donít do much to reduce damage to live plants. Shredded paper adds more cushion, newspaper, or even bubble wrap lining the box? I donít know... but yeah I can see why people are frustrated. Iíve definitely been surprised at the boxís size as well, being as my aglaonemas were MUCH larger than the box they were in. Luckily, mine all fared okay and look good... but it seems not everyone was so lucky. Hopefully they read these reviews and fix the issues!
Positive zoernerl
Nampa, ID
October 18, 2018
Received the 3 shrubs I ordered. All 3 of them exceeded my expectations, considering the sale price I paid. They are bigger than expected and all 3 are full of green leaves. 2 of them have multiple stems, instead of just one. I'm very happy. One of them is a Venus Sweetshrub, and although I've seen other sweetshrubs and spice bushes for sale, I haven't found many offerings for Venus (its the sweetshrub with large white flowers). Anyway, I'm very happy with my order.
Negative bg351
Xenia, OH
October 16, 2018
I ordered a Eureka lemon last spring from Hirts via jet.com. I nurtured the plant through last winter, brought it out this spring. It flourished, bloomed, and set many fruit, Unfortunately it was definitely NOT a lemon. It produced very large fruit, shaped very close to an jumbo avocado with thick rind and many seeds. No lemon flesh whatsoever. Also the fruit never turned yellow, even though it set fruit very early this spring. I sent an email to Hirts and all Matt Hirt said was that it was "impossible". Well, either I'm a lying or they are. Or it was a mistake. Either way a good company would attempt to make good on it. I feel like I tossed $35 bucks down the drain.
Negative PlantPadawan
Carlsbad, CA
October 4, 2018
My impression is this vendor does not like to be told that he or she sent an incorrect order or forgot to send all ordered items. Even worse if you ask to get the missing plants or have the order corrected.

The first batch of plants I recieved from them was missing two items. Plants from this batch arrived in okay conditions and they're still growing well more than two weeks after receiving them.

I should note that the company only likes to communicate via their personal web-based messaging system, which doesn't really initially have any way of showing that it works.

The second batch was basically the two plants that were missing. These plants appeared to have committed seppuku prior to getting shipped, and they look mostly dead still, despite getting the same attention from me as the same plant from the original batch sent (THAT plant is actually growing beautifully).

Seeing that others had the same experience, I suspect that the Hirts garden owner is the type of person who doesn't like to have people catch a mistake and kindly request that it be corrected (especially since a payment was already made). It's sadly reassuring seeing that I'm NOT the only one who had a negative experience with this vendor... even moreso in seeing extremely similar experiences to my own.

One can't help but wonder-- if a mistake was made on the part of the vendor for a paid item, shouldn't the vendor be willing to correct the problem? Why be punished for asking for the services or items one already paid for in full?

For curiousity's sake regarding the possibly hijacked plants I recieved in my second batch, I tried ordering a third batch of plants-- Hirts immediately cancelled the order themselves with zero explanation why. Lame.
Positive pogo399
Los Angeles, CA
September 18, 2018
I bought three plants from them, a fukien tea tree, gollum jade, and a Fiddle Leaf Fig tree. They took about a week to arrive and arrived in good condition. It's been about 1.5 months since I received them, and they are all doing well.
Would consider ordering again.
Negative Lucille44
Conroe, TX
August 4, 2018
This was going to be a positive review. But Alan Hirt snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by his bad customer service. I ordered $70 worth of plants and they arrived a few days ago. The ones that arrived were actually in great condition and packed well, but 3 plants were missing.
I emailed customer service and explained about the missing plants and Alan Hirt himself answered to confirm which of the 2 types of asparagus fern I ordered was one of the missing plants. I was impressed by such personal service. And he assured me that the missing plants would be on their way to me this morning.
Unfortunately, that was a lie. This morning I was refunded for the plants, meaning if I wanted them I would have to pay additional postage to order them again even though it was their error. He said they were 'heat damaged' but surely he has others.
I think he realized he would have to pay shipping and wouldn't make a profit on those 3 plants so I think he decided to stick me with the shipping if I wanted them.

Of course after this, even though I've ordered hundreds of dollars of plants from his company, he will not be getting another cent from me. He thinks he is a big dog now that he sells on Ebay and Amazon, but I think that if you don't do what you promise, people will go elsewhere.

Shame on you for lying to me, Alan.
Negative CrisAr
Chino Hills,
June 12, 2018
I ordered twelve peppers which arrived in very poor condition - distressed due to lack of water, dishevelled from the way they were packaged, and the potting medium was bone dry. Only eleven survived the journey to CA.
My email complaint elicited an automated reply, promising a replacement plant and a refund (unspecified) [an automated response to a complaint email says something about this company!].
No surprise, of course, that nothing turned up. A further email elicited a terse response about the time a refund takes - it's the bank's fault, apparently. Eventually, I got a small refund, but no replacement plant.
Very poor packaging for postal delivery and even worse after-sale customer service.
Negative Ramshackle
Otsego, MI
June 12, 2018
I ordered a fifty dollar plant in a 3 gallon pot. Black beauty elderberry, if anyone cares. I received a tiny twig in a maybe 4 inch pot. When I called I was told they were unable to do anything on the phone and I needed to send an email. When I called back nearly four hours later (2/3 of their business day)I was verbally accosted by two employees. I was treated as if I was in the wrong, my concerns were scoffed at and I was eventually hung up on. I was accused of being rude and talking over people, but that is more projection than truth. I talked over them when they repeatedly spouted nonsense. My concerns were not treated as valid and once I get the shrubbery, I will never do business with Hirt's Gardens again. I was told IF there was a mistake it would be fixed and my email would be answered eventually. They don't deal with customer email, like mistakes, until they get all their money for the current day. If you paid them before whatever day you contacted them, you go to the end of the line. And really, why not? They already have your money.
Positive gcolie
Columbia, TN
May 10, 2018
I ordered 3 plants from their Etsy shop: parlor palm, a fern, and Vietnamese coriander. I was very impressed with the size/condition of the plants and their packing method- plants didn't have so much as one bruised leaf and all the potting soil was held firmly in place!! The palm was on the dry side (as it should be), and the other two plants were damp (as they should be). Thank you Hirts, you have earned more business from me!
Negative caloucon
Reston, VA
May 5, 2018
Ordered from jet.com. Received 3 small 2x2 mountain laurel plants. Well packed but covered with aphids. No way they developed over the 1 day shipping. Plans were not checked prior to shipment.
Negative Yemaya1
Lafayette, LA
January 5, 2018
I wish I could give Hirt's Greenhouse a zero rating. But I am forced to give it at least a 1. The owners of this "business" have an F rating with the BBB in their community, and countless 1 and 1 1/2 ratings in plant-related websites, among them the respected worldwide Dave's plant forum, as well as Houzz--many people wished they could give Hirt's a zero star rating. I paid $17.58 (for the sapling and shipping charges) for what I thought would be a healthy 4" pot Dwarf Alberta Spruce. But what I received was a dying, yellowish, brittle sapling, whose branches were bent and needles shedding. The soil in the pot was powdery-dry, and to make matters worse, the pot had been sealed with rubbery packing tape, which stuck to the little sapling's lower branches and helped to dry the soil.

Upon receipt of the dying sapling, I phoned and emailed Hirt's about the problem, but no one answered the phone. And, though emails were answered, the responses were short, disrespectful and not related to my problem. I emailed photos of the dying/dead tree and lengthy explanations, detailing how I had nurtured it in efforts of reviving/saving it. But I received no adequate answer. I also called PayPal and Walmart, and each time a recording at both announced a wait of over two hours! So finally, in desperation, I called my credit card company, where a kind and helpful person assisted me in filing for a chargeback.

I want those who bother to read this lengthy review to know that Hirt's may have been a great place to purchase plants 66 years ago, but that nowadays it is a place where the owners have no remorse about selling dying or diseased plants because they know that, since it is nearly impossible to obtain assistance from PayPal, eBay or Walmart, etc., they will get away with refusing to refund the customer's money when plants they sell are dying or dead on arrival.
Negative fiddlemedo
October 20, 2017
Posted on October 16, 2017, updated October 20, 2017
Worst company I've EVER bought plants from. I ordered several thinking that I might plant them in specific areas of my yard and garden. However, that dream was shattered since they sent all $95 worth of plants, packed the worst I've ever seen, with NO labels. So how am I supposed to know the passion flower I wanted to plant by my entryway, from the one I wanted to plant by my shed, or the clematis I wanted to plant by my back door, from the one I wanted to plant by my mailbox? I guess it really doesn't matter, because for their size and the shape they're in, I doubt like hell if they'll grow to begin with.
On October 20th, 2017, fiddlemedo added the following:

I contacted Matt Hirt and explained to him that I ordered specific plants for specific areas of my garden, so I needed to know which ones were which. He said he could identify what they were if I'd send photos, so I did. And never did hear back from him. I've attempted to call and email several times every day this week, but he refuses to respond.

Could it be Matt Hirt knows from the photos that he sent the wrong plants? Who knows? In either case, I've now initiated a chargeback. I would advise anybody to shop anywhere else on earth except Hirts. If you think my review is wrong just google "hirts gardens reviews" and you'll clearly see I'm far from being the only one he's ripped off. And look at the ratio of negative reviews as opposed to positive ones here on Dave's Garden website. Pitiful, pathetic, lying loser are the words that come to mind when I think about Matt Hirt and Hirts Gardens.
Negative GardenManDonald
GLENSHAW, PA (Zone 5a)
October 10, 2017
I ordered two roots for big, fluffy pink Islander dahlias. Started them indoors, transplanted outside in May, water and cared for all summer. Not happy, after waiting months to finally get blooms to get small, washed-out tan and yellow flowers of some unidentifiable variety.

The other dahlia purchased from Hirt's never sprouted at all. (All 12 of the others I started from other suppliers grew fine and bloomed beautifully.)

Just a big disappointment.
Negative rgnelson
Harrisonburg, VA
October 4, 2017
I ordered two honeysuckle vines, so imagine my surprise when my order arrived today and I found a horseradish plant! And a damaged horseradish plant at that!
Positive Sweethrtcc
Wichita, KS
August 25, 2017
I ordered 8 items on a Friday and they were here on Monday. Granted a couple of them were a little wet but all were in good health and actually larger than I expected on 2 of them. The others were as I expected. They were reasonably priced. It would be nice if they offered free shipping if ordering so much in $ but they don't. I went with standard shipping and not the expedited shipping and the plants were still in great shape. I was hesitant to order from them based on some other reviews but I was greatly surprised and will order from them again.
Positive ElJefe26
Holland, MI
August 1, 2017
I ordered three (3) Boston Ivy plants via the "Jet" website. Order fulfilled by Hirt's. All three made it to my home in MI unscathed. Contrary to other reviews, I found the packaging worked quite well. These were 2.5" pots packed in packing peanuts. The plants were dry but all in very good condition and each have taken root and are now showing new leaves. Happy with my transaction!
Negative purplePT
Anderson, SC
July 19, 2017
Two Honeycomb Buddleia were received on 7/8/17, in 4" pots with masking tape and styrofoam peanuts. They were in poor health: victims of whitefly infestation and dry soil. The leaves were already dying. Plants were photographed on 7/11/17, and reviewed on Walmart.com, where they were purchased.

Plants were reduced by 2/3 in size in an attempt to help them regenerate. As of 7/19/17, one plant appears dead; the other has sprouted tiny, new growth.

This was the worst plant shipment that I have received ever. These plants should never have been sold; the method of packing for shipment was poor; this was a waste of money.

An email was sent to Hirt's today. No request for compensation of any kind. However, this negative experience and review of Hirt's Gardens will be shared often. Prospective buyers should consider the number of negative vs. positive reviews and proceed with caution.

I will not purchase from this company again.
Negative RMCGEE7226
Snohomish, WA
June 6, 2017
Ordered 8 plants.Primarily after 6 and added 2 different plants to go with them. After they were shipped got an e mail stating that I was only getting the 2 plants and was getting a 7 dollar refund. So ended up paying $54 for two very small very sickly Rhubarb plants.left message on their phone and have not been replied to. Will not purchase from them again.
Positive mousingaround
Springfield, MO
May 25, 2017
Have ordered twice from Hirts. Both experiences were good. Most recent order was received quickly. Larger than I expected from mail order and in very good shape. When I can't find what I want locally, I use mail order. Twice now Hirts has come through in delivering a hard to find plant.
Positive amazindirt
mid-state, TN (Zone 7a)
May 21, 2017
I've ordered from Hirt's several times over the course of three or four years, including two orders this spring. They send small but healthy plants.

People need to remember that you get what you pay for. If you pay small prices, then expect small plants. If you expect big mature plants, then go spend a lot more money with some other seller.
Positive kaldakur
Rudyard, MI
May 5, 2017
I ordered 6 different haskaps (Yezberries) from Hirt's this Spring. My plants were promptly shipped, arrived in nice shape and were about 8 inches tall with multiple leafed out branches. I was happy with them, I expected a little twig starter plant, and got little well branched out bushes. I'll order from Hirt's again.