The scoop on 'Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)'

Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)

4943 Ridge Road
Wadsworth, Ohio 44281 (United States)

Phone: 330) 239-0506
Fax: 1-440-378-4023

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative fiddlemedo
Nancy, KY
October 20, 2017
Posted on October 16, 2017, updated October 20, 2017
Worst company I\'ve EVER bought plants from. I ordered several thinking that I might plant them in specific areas of my yard and garden. However, that dream was shattered since they sent all $95 worth of plants, packed the worst I\'ve ever seen, with NO labels. So how am I supposed to know the passion flower I wanted to plant by my entryway, from the one I wanted to plant by my shed, or the clematis I wanted to plant by my back door, from the one I wanted to plant by my mailbox? I guess it really doesn\'t matter, because for their size and the shape they\'re in, I doubt like hell if they\'ll grow to begin with.
On October 20th, 2017, fiddlemedo added the following:

I contacted Matt Hirt and explained to him that I ordered specific plants for specific areas of my garden, so I needed to know which ones were which. He said he could identify what they were if I'd send photos, so I did. And never did hear back from him. I've attempted to call and email several times every day this week, but he refuses to respond.

Could it be Matt Hirt knows from the photos that he sent the wrong plants? Who knows? In either case, I've now initiated a chargeback. I would advise anybody to shop anywhere else on earth except Hirts. If you think my review is wrong just google "hirts gardens reviews" and you'll clearly see I'm far from being the only one he's ripped off. And look at the ratio of negative reviews as opposed to positive ones here on Dave's Garden website. Pitiful, pathetic, lying loser are the words that come to mind when I think about Matt Hirt and Hirts Gardens.
Negative GardenManDonald
GLENSHAW, PA (Zone 5a)
October 10, 2017
I ordered two roots for big, fluffy pink Islander dahlias. Started them indoors, transplanted outside in May, water and cared for all summer. Not happy, after waiting months to finally get blooms to get small, washed-out tan and yellow flowers of some unidentifiable variety.

The other dahlia purchased from Hirt's never sprouted at all. (All 12 of the others I started from other suppliers grew fine and bloomed beautifully.)

Just a big disappointment.
Negative rgnelson
Harrisonburg, VA
October 4, 2017
I ordered two honeysuckle vines, so imagine my surprise when my order arrived today and I found a horseradish plant! And a damaged horseradish plant at that!
Positive Sweethrtcc
Wichita, KS
August 25, 2017
I ordered 8 items on a Friday and they were here on Monday. Granted a couple of them were a little wet but all were in good health and actually larger than I expected on 2 of them. The others were as I expected. They were reasonably priced. It would be nice if they offered free shipping if ordering so much in $ but they don't. I went with standard shipping and not the expedited shipping and the plants were still in great shape. I was hesitant to order from them based on some other reviews but I was greatly surprised and will order from them again.
Positive ElJefe26
Holland, MI
August 1, 2017
I ordered three (3) Boston Ivy plants via the "Jet" website. Order fulfilled by Hirt's. All three made it to my home in MI unscathed. Contrary to other reviews, I found the packaging worked quite well. These were 2.5" pots packed in packing peanuts. The plants were dry but all in very good condition and each have taken root and are now showing new leaves. Happy with my transaction!
Negative purplePT
Anderson, SC
July 19, 2017
Two Honeycomb Buddleia were received on 7/8/17, in 4" pots with masking tape and styrofoam peanuts. They were in poor health: victims of whitefly infestation and dry soil. The leaves were already dying. Plants were photographed on 7/11/17, and reviewed on Walmart.com, where they were purchased.

Plants were reduced by 2/3 in size in an attempt to help them regenerate. As of 7/19/17, one plant appears dead; the other has sprouted tiny, new growth.

This was the worst plant shipment that I have received ever. These plants should never have been sold; the method of packing for shipment was poor; this was a waste of money.

An email was sent to Hirt's today. No request for compensation of any kind. However, this negative experience and review of Hirt's Gardens will be shared often. Prospective buyers should consider the number of negative vs. positive reviews and proceed with caution.

I will not purchase from this company again.
Negative RMCGEE7226
Snohomish, WA
June 6, 2017
Ordered 8 plants.Primarily after 6 and added 2 different plants to go with them. After they were shipped got an e mail stating that I was only getting the 2 plants and was getting a 7 dollar refund. So ended up paying $54 for two very small very sickly Rhubarb plants.left message on their phone and have not been replied to. Will not purchase from them again.
Positive mousingaround
Springfield, MO
May 25, 2017
Have ordered twice from Hirts. Both experiences were good. Most recent order was received quickly. Larger than I expected from mail order and in very good shape. When I can't find what I want locally, I use mail order. Twice now Hirts has come through in delivering a hard to find plant.
Positive amazindirt
mid-state, TN (Zone 7a)
May 21, 2017
I've ordered from Hirt's several times over the course of three or four years, including two orders this spring. They send small but healthy plants.

People need to remember that you get what you pay for. If you pay small prices, then expect small plants. If you expect big mature plants, then go spend a lot more money with some other seller.
Positive kaldakur
Rudyard, MI
May 5, 2017
I ordered 6 different haskaps (Yezberries) from Hirt's this Spring. My plants were promptly shipped, arrived in nice shape and were about 8 inches tall with multiple leafed out branches. I was happy with them, I expected a little twig starter plant, and got little well branched out bushes. I'll order from Hirt's again.
Positive littlemisty
Ocala, FL
April 27, 2017
I was a bit leary to order from this company after reading some of the negative comments, however I decided to take a chance as I couldn't find a Plum Perfect rose bush anywhere else at an affordable price. I placed the order thru Walmart.com on Sunday and the plant was shipped out Monday and I received it on Wednesday. That is pretty good coming all the way from Ohio to Florida! The packing was okay and the plant was green and healthy except for a couple bottom leaves which were a little spotted and I think it will be fine. The rootball was dry as a bone (I guess for shipping purposes?) the plant was only a few inches shorter than other roses I received from other companies, not just a little stick. So far I am happy with the purchase and the price and shipping were also very reasonable!
Negative Kedler
March 30, 2017
Please think twice before supporting this business.

Summary: Abhorrent shipping practices. If you want someone to take a plant you paid them for & make it a Charlie Brown X-mas tree before shipping it to you, this is your nursery. Here you get to pay to receive abused versions of the plants you ordered, and spend your time trying to get them to recover.

$122 at Hirt's eBay.
Notified I would be leaving neutral and negative feedback for each item purchased. Seller's only response was to say send pictures. Didn't ask why, or what the issues with my order were.

13 items totaling 19 pieces - mostly tender leaf plants (only 1 succulent) in 2"-4" pots, wet with moisture, laid on their sides, stacked on each other, with plant stems and leaves caught between pots and between styrofoam packing peanuts - not wrapped in paper or protected from packaging or other pots in any way at all. !!! No dead plants yet - the health of 11 plants of the 19 remains questionable.

Individual plants listed below with description of damage/condition/required attention in caps. (It is impossible to shout via keyboard.)

I sent (my notes) all the information below to Hirt's, explaining that sending him pictures won't change the condition of what I received. No response at all after a week. I didn't ask for money back:

Disgusted by the careless, thoughtless, inconsiderate methods. (re: packing)

Misleading advertising by only posting selected photos, not similar to actual items, and making important information like "small starter plant" inconspicuous instead of putting it in the title description. This is intentionally misleading. (re: Ophiopogon)

Incomprehensible that any nursery would even consider shipping tender starter plants in a box of packing peanuts. NEVER received any shipment like this.

Masking tape? Really? Everyone else uses wet paper towels over substrate, then tapes over that. Never had anyone send me a plant that they had taped the leaves up too. I can't express enough how disappointing this is. (Almost every plant in the box! Maybe I got a really bad order - I can't believe only one other person has mentioned this! Regardless if it was one time, or standard practice, the person who packed this does not care. Worst shipment I've ever received from any seller including those in US, Spain, Hungary, Netherlands, UK, Peru.)

Here's my thought. I don't buy plants to take them home and nurse them to good health; I buy healthy plants! I don't go buy plants at a local nursery and then beat them up on the way home. I don't select plants that are broken either. Nor do I remove healthy leaves when I buy them. If a plant needs work, I skip it and get one that looks good. Hirt's offers the convenience of getting every specimen I wouldn't pick for myself sent right to my home! Receiving this shipment gave me a few hours of dealing with cleaning up after the person who packed my order. All of this could have easily been avoided but someone obviously didn't give a damn about my plants, or me as a customer and what I might think.
(I notice other reviews mentioning getting to nurse plants from here back to health also. Great for some people I guess, but again, not why I buy plants.)

High business volume is no excuse for poor business practices, lack of consideration of quality of product, or a careless attitude toward plant health and customer satisfaction.

Blue Mound Rue - 4 Plants
FOUR PLANTS EACH TAPED TO THE SIDE OF POT WITH A SINGLE STRIP OF MASKING TAPE INSTEAD OF BEING TAPED VERTICALLY AND CENTERED TO WHERE THE PLANT STEM ORIGINATES FROM WITH A PIECE OF TAPE ON EACH SIDE.
TO CLARIFY: PLANT IN CENTER OF POT IS BENT OVER AT A RIGHT ANGLE, PARALLEL TO SURFACE OF SOIL IN POT, THEN A WIDE STRIP OF MASKING TAPE COVERS THE TOP OF POT EXCEPT FOR A ~.25" OPENING AT THE TOP/SIDE. THE PLANT IS TAPED ON/OVER, AND THE REMAINDER STICKS OUT OF THE OPENING AT THE SIDE.

Pixie Pinot Meunier Grape -Bareroot
DORMANT (IT IS ALIVE)

Daisy - Bellium - 2.5" Pot
TAPED! MASKING TAPE OVER 2/3 OF TENDER LEAVES. WORST LOOKING OF THEM ALL. BASED ON APPEARANCE, ALL LARGE LEAVES ARE DESTROYED.
SMASHED BY PACKING PEANUTS AND TAPE

Black Lace Elderberry - Sambucus
WHY I ORDERED. NUMEROUS BROKEN BRANCHES AND TAPED LEAVES. ALL OF THE DAMAGE TO THIS PLANT WAS CAUSED BY THE PERSON WHO PACKED THIS.

Black Dragon Mondo Grass Plants - Ophiopogon - 4" pot -
(Listing is titled "plants" and shows photo of a full 4" pot, however very last line of text in description reads "small starter plant". Other listings all read "plant" except the title of this one.)
"Small starter plant" that I received is lost in the heavy, wet 4" pot it came in.
FURIOUS THAT I FELL FOR YOUR MISLEADING TACTICS. I WOULD HAVE NEVER PAID $5+SHIPPING FOR A SMALL STARTER OF THIS. THIS ONE IS COMPLETELY MY FAULT FOR BUYING THIS, BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NICE TO FILL OUT MY OWN SPECIMEN OF 10 PLANTS I GOT FOR $25 - THAT'S INCLUDING SHIPPING. $2.50 EACH, SO YOU BASICALLY JUST RIPPED ME OFF.
Item price $4.99
Quantity 1

Fire Fern Oxalis

Tansy Perennial Herb - 4 Plants - Tanacetum
SAME THING, OF COURSE

Lemon Creeping Thyme Plant - Smells Like Lemon/Tastes Like Lemon - 3" Pot

Arbequina Olive Tree - Tree of Peace - Olea europaea - 4" POT
LOST LEAVES (can be found in the bottom of the box if you enjoy that kind of fun)

Dwarf Birch - 4" Pot - Betula
Looks horrible. I'd never ship this specimen to my customers, especially considering the posted picture.

Mini Golden Privet - 2.5" Pot - Fairy Garden Plant or Bonsai
!!!!!!!!!!!!
LENGTH/HEIGHT OF PLANT SHOVED INTO THE WIDTH OF THE BOX = 5 INCHES BROKEN OFF THE TOP!
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Needle Ghost Tree - Corokia - 2.5" Pot
Both tips are dead. Not sure if this will make it either.

Ice Plant - Perennial - Delosperma
Succulent leaves not affected by masking tape.
Negative haliz
Sedona ,
United States
March 24, 2017
I use to order from Hirt's Gardens all the time. The plants have always been robust and healthy upon arrival. I ordered two shamrocks through Walmart marketplace on March 6, Velvet Sunset Shamrock - Oxalis - 4" Pot - Fairy Garden Plant @$4.99. By March 16 not even two weeks both died and the communication with them was very poor. Defeated the purpose of having them for St. Patrick's day. They said it was no longer available at this site so they issued a refund what made it worse was they stated the reason for the refund was that I had changed my mind when I hadn't. They did have it on Amazon at a much higher price.
----------------Pasted from Amazon-------------------------
Velvet Sunset Shamrock - Oxalis - 4" Pot - Fairy Garden Plant or House Plant
by Hirt's Gardens
$ 24 58 + $3.00 shipping

They didn't acknowledge the truth. So I decided to give them one more try and order directly from them. The plant I had ordered before was no longer available on their site either. So I ordered a close facsimile. Rare Fire Fern Shamrock Plant - Oxalis also in a 4" Pot. When it arrived it was poorly planted in the pot looking quite unhealthy and scraggly not full like any of the photos. It has only 8 shoots with very few leaves. I don't expect the plants to look identical but I took a picture of mine. I received an email today March 24, 2017 review their plant. I did write a review but they did not post it. When I checked the reviews there was the a new review with today's date. I pasted below from their website. I find it ironic how I stated in my review the plant looked very unhealthy and this unknown source wrote Small Plant but very healthy. I did include my name in my review. I will no longer be buying from them. I also have screen shots of all the pages stated in this review should there be any doubts or rebuttals from Hirt's. I will no longer refer anyone to their site for any plants.

---------------------------------------Pasted from their website----------------
PRODUCT REVIEWS

WRITE REVIEW
SMALL PLANT 5 Star Review
Posted by Unknown on Mar 24th 2017

But very healthy
Negative thequeenofga
Byron, GA
March 13, 2017
purchased four separate plants from them as a third party through Walmart.com. One of the plants, the most expensive one a dwarf banana plant, was never sent to me but they marked it as sent via the website. I found that very shady! However, two of the three species of plants were received half dead (tansy's and a lemon grass) while the last (blue rue) looked absolutely perfect. This was not a weather or delivery issue, especially when seeing that one plant, the blue rue, in perfect condition. It lead me to believe it was what they choose to send out me. The plants were received in a week and it is not hot outside either. So, buyer beware.
Negative gandyman33
Saint Louis, MO
February 21, 2017
I have been buying from Hirt's for years and usually I am pleased with what I have purchased knowing they sell small starter plants. I purchased two yellow Clivia seedlings in 2007 and this year one of them finally bloomed - not yellow but orange. I always keep receipts just in case something like this happens. I also knew it would be quite sometime before the seedlings would be mature enough to bloom. I called and email Hirt's to let them know that I didn't receive what I had ordered and the owner (Matt Hirt) initial response was - "that was a long time ago". I responded in turn the time doesn't negate the fact I didn't receive what I paid for and was expecting. He then followed up by saying their computer system to check the order doesn't exist anymore - sorry. That is so lame, I will avoid them in the future and warn others that quality customer service has a time limit.

I do not recommend any company that will not make good on a bad sale. It's really a shame...
Negative moolaoyster
Argyle, TX
December 6, 2016
I am really sad to be writing this review since I have been a customer for years ordering 100s of dollars’ worth of plants and bulbs. I occasionally had issues with the quality of some of the bulbs but let it slide.
My last order included several potted plants which were received in good condition, except for the “Silver Gem Hardy Violet - Viola walteri - Quart Pot”, it had no leaves and looked dead to me. I took a picture and sent it to Hirt’s gardens expecting good customer service for such a long time customer like me. The response was one sentence that the plant is dormant. I replayed that the plant looked dead and that I purchased it as a potted plant and not a root expecting it to have some leaves and I was not satisfied, but they did not bother to address my concern by offering to ship a new plant or issue a refund.
I sent them a tweet with a picture of the plant, but apparently they screen the tweets so it did not even show up on their profile.
Negative a1i50n
Fallbrook, CA
November 27, 2016
I decided to risk it, despite the reviews, because ultimately they had what I wanted and I couldn't find it anywhere else...probably, in retrospect, because it wasn't the right time of year and everyone else had sold out of healthy plants and they were selling the rubbish that should have gone in the bin to compost. I ordered over $78 of 50 various seeds, 2 live plants, and 4 or more bulb sets. While I can't comment on the mortality of the bulbs until spring, the pink (let's hope) Pampas grass is the only thing that looked reasonably survivable and is now doing well with a little rehab; the Kent's oregano was 99.8% dead upon arrival, having all the dead nubs trimmed off (tons of them), and 3 or 4 tiny withered green sprigs that were dead at the base. I sent them an email (for which ordering inquiries were pleasantly rapidly replied to) with a photo attached of the dead plant, to which I was ignored. I even left a review on their website upon being prompted via email, which they chose not to reply to or even post (hence their suspiciously good reviews on their own website). Literally 4 of seeds sprouted (2 made it just about 1 cm then died, 2 are still struggling at the same 1cm size they've been for nearly a month and are looking pretty sad), which I didn't even bother to contact them about as they state on their website seeds are pretty much your gamble, as they blame any failure directly on the purchaser not doing something right (not only did I follow their instructions, I consulted many websites to ensure proper germination conditions, I'm well-equipped, and I've experience in growing from seeds). None of the seed packs were labelled with season or even year harvested - could have been ancient for all I know. Save yourself the pain of wasted money, sad plants, frustrating lack of customer service concern, crushed hopes and dreams, and just don't patronize this business unless you can inspect the plants in person before purchase.
Positive GeorgiaZone8a
Evans, GA
August 15, 2016
I wanted to send my mother a Meyer Lemon for her birthday. Looked around, and Hirt's (sold through Amazon) was the least expensive by quite a bit (when you added in S&H).

The plant arrived at my mother's house in good time. She sent me a picture of it and it looked green, healthy, bushy, and a good size for the price I paid.

Overall, I am satisfied and would definitely consider them if I were going to order another indoor citrus.
Positive smeggy
Cherry Hill, NJ
July 31, 2016
Posted on July 31, 2016, updated July 31, 2016
Last week I ordered five fruiting/edible plants from Hirt\'s off of Etsy and they arrived a couple days ago. The plants were shipped in one big box. They were well packed and arrived in great condition. There was no breakage at all and very minimal wilting. In fact really only the 8\" Persian lime tree was a wee bit wilted but it sprang right back. The 8\" Meyer Lemon looks terrific.Both are just as tall & branched out as Hirt\'s represented in pics on their website. They do not have any fruit set yet but they claim they are \"fruiting size\", so hopefully soon... All the other plants are appropriately sized as well. The 6\" pomegranate is about 10\" tall (one branch is up to 12\") and it is well branched/bushy. It is also already budding a few flowers. The 4\" barbados cherry is a smaller plant, only about 6 1/2 inches tall and less bushy but nice for the size. (the barbados has a few branches that are longer that are kind of growing out to the side but I did not want to mess around with it trying to measure them)......SO yeah, I am quite pleased with my order and will order from Hirt\'s again.

Oh, I also want to mention that my first order with Hirt\'s was placed several months ago. It was for four alexandra strawberry plants and two starter size fig trees. The strawberries are doing great despite me leaving them in those little starter pots for a couple weeks.They are producing but I am pinching off the fruits since it is their first year. I want all the energy to go into growing... The figs are small but I knew they would be considering they were sold in 2.5\" pots. They were very healthy on arrival & did great for a while. But sadly another vendor sent me a diseased fig tree and the rust/smut (or whatever it is) spread to all my other figs. The little Hirt\'s ones look very sick now & I will probably have to toss them out because they are so mottled and do not seem to be growing. A couple of older/larger fig trees that I bought are doing better with it. Now that they are all infected I guess I will have to stick with buying older/ more established figs in the future
On July 31st, 2016, smeggy added the following:

Forgot to mention the last plant I ordered was a 2.5" Stevia plant. There are two in the pot. One is 16" high and the other is 18" high. They had a couple bug chewn leaves at the bottom but otherwise look great. I'm happy that it was not wilted at all. In the past my Stevia plants have come back with a good soaking after minor wilt. But once they get too dry they die quickly.
Positive narina77
Blairstown, NJ
May 27, 2016
They shipped my tray of Ajuga very quickly, but the postal service created a delay which caused the plants to be delivered after 5 days instead of the 2 day expedited shipping the company used. So the plants were about 75% okay. I sent photos and they immediately refunded the cost of half. I thought that was a good gesture to a first time customer so I would order from them again. Plants were nice (the ones not damaged).
Negative NatePS
Palm Springs, CA
May 3, 2016
I was using Jet.com to get household paper goods. Saw that Hirts was offering seeds so I picked a few up knowing the name... The package came direct from Hirts address. The Elephant Ear Fig seeds were double zip top bagged closed with a tiny hand cut price of paper and the Money Plant came in an envelope with another companies name on it. I paid 3.50 for the money plant and the prepriced package I got have 1.95. I'm at a loss of why they didn't just send the seeds in plastic bags like the others and I would have been none the wiser... Thankfully Jet gave me my money back on them. That was about a month ago and after the other 6 packages of seeds I started those 2 did nothing. Thought about calling but what a waste of time that would be.
Positive 1alh1
Sidney, OH (Zone 6a)
May 1, 2016
The alocasia I ordered on April 27 was delivered on April 29. The plant in a 4-inch pot had 6 absolutely perfect and beautiful leaves, and it was at least 16" tall. The moist soil was covered with masking tape, and the pot was laid sideways, nestled in Styrofoam peanuts. I couldn't have asked for better quality or faster service.
Positive shinesign
Asheville, NC
April 29, 2016
Ordered several Dahlia tubers and one package of 2 tubers arrived and they were mushy and had rotted. I emailed then with a photo of the tubers and within 24 hours, they had refunded the cost of that package of tubers.

My experience with them has always been really good.
Negative booksnob
April 24, 2016
We have bought dozens of plants from Hirts over the past few years, but the most recent will be the last. Enclosed in shipments is a little flyer which says that plants shipped dormant (during the winter) will be replaced if they do not grow come Spring. We had that very experience this year with two plants purchased in Feb....which never "came to life" after a later planting. Hirts' response to our request for replacements?....."problems must be reported within 15 days" ! ! ! Nice...that makes the dormant thing a bald-faced lie.
Positive PhillyLover
Philadelphia Suburbs, PA (Zone 7a)
April 21, 2016
Posted on April 21, 2016, updated April 21, 2016

On April 21st, 2016, PhillyLover added the following:

Ordered 1 liner-size of Blue Bunny Hydrangea Shrub in March 2016 via Amazon. Shipped quickly and although dormant, had a nice root system. Transplanted it to a 1 gal upon arrival and it is growing well.
Positive scottPi
Milwaukee, WI
April 15, 2016
Just ordered bare root strawberries, from Hirt's Garden in OH, via Amazon. I know reviews at Dave's Garden Watchdog mixed, but they are 95% positive at Amazon. And that's over 100,000 reviews! Seems good to me.
Negative Fishman1
Selden, NY
April 14, 2016
Posted on April 14, 2015, updated April 14, 2016
Ordered some sedum from this seller. Had some problems, but customer service took care of everything quickly and to my complete satisfaction. Also, shipping is absolutely the fastest out of all sellers that I have dealt with. I would recommend them to anyone.
On April 14th, 2016, Fishman1 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

My first order from Hirts was positive. But that has changed with my second order. Paid for 2 Panache figs. Both plants(more like tiny little sticks) were dead in 4 inch pots 1/4 filled with dry potting soil. the plants spent days in transit tumbling around in a pot that had tape over the top. I could not find the sticks at first because they were mixed in with the bone dry soil....terrible experience, what an abuse of plants.
Positive Phoenixbinder
New Market, AL
March 26, 2016
I ordered 3 seed packs which arrived promptly. One seed pack was not what I ordered. I contacted the company who responded immediately. They apologized for their mistake, told me to keep the incorrect seed pack, and told me they would mail me the correct seed pack the next day. I received the correct pack a few days later. Excellent service.
Negative gardenwithsoul
Akron, OH
March 15, 2016
I just went to Hirts Gardens in Wadsworth Ohio. After inquiring about whether they were getting organic seedlings in, the owner (grandson of the founder) told me yes and proceeded to tell me they have them grown at a local organic farm from organic seed he buys abd delivers to them. After inquiring further and informing him that his employee had just told me it was NOT an organic farm, he became very hostile, defensive and rude. They are blatantly and purposefully deceiving the public by lying that some of their plants are certified organic. They are acting illegally and unethically. I will never go there again and will tell everyone I know to avoid the store. Worst retail experience I've ever had.
Neutral beanstock
Saint Louis, MO
February 6, 2016
I ordered two citrus trees from Hirt's, a pink variegated lemon and a key lime. The lemon tree looks great, but the lime tree is quite small and has been harshly pruned so that my tree has a lot of stubby limbs. The tree seems healthy enough - we shall see how it does -- but I am disappointed in the size and the way it has apparently been treated. It was not an inexpensive tree.
Positive ysfex3
Greeneville, TN
December 11, 2015
Ordered two plants: a small 4" potted Madagascar Palm and a Daphne x transatlantica 'ETERNAL FRAGRANCE'. Both were healthy, but the daphne was a bit smaller than I was expecting (it was about 3"x3"). The plants were shipped promply and arrived in quickly. Items were ordered on Ebay.
Positive nitzi1944
Kings Park, NY (Zone 7a)
November 25, 2015
I ordered Mt. Hood daffodils from them through Ebay. It was the only place that still had a few left. The bulbs just arrived. They are big. 16cm. ones. Well packed and no problems with delivery.
Negative overland4
Chicago, IL
October 6, 2015
I was disappointed with Hirt's. First, they didn't answer my emails. Second, I asked them to combine two orders placed within a few minutes of each other. They didn't, and didn't explain why. Third, I ended up paying about three times for shipping what it should have cost.
The plants were fine. The communication and customer service were not.
Negative Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD (Zone 7a)
September 24, 2015
I wish there was a rating below negative.Please never order from this so called company.As many have already figured out if you have problem with Hirt's ,you can not contact them directly!
Sometimes I get a plant from them that I have to nurse back to health before planting it.Other,or many times I would get a dead plant.
Positive JessiL
Pella, IA
September 10, 2015
Fast shipping, well packaged healthy plants. I have ordered Truly Tiny Banana, Desert King Fig, Kale plants, Pine trees and Stevia. All are doing great and have added so much to our home. I ordered from them off of Jet.com and it was a great experience.
Negative dentednj
Califon, NJ (Zone 6b)
July 28, 2015
I've had mixed results from my orders from Hirt's. I just harvested Purple Majesty potatoes that were supposed to be purple all the way through as in their description/product photo and mine are purplish in the middle and white over that then a purple skin. These are not the variety I ordered. I also received a bunch of moldy Purple Passion Asparagus. Only a few of them survived.

Other items came in fine. Perhaps their suppliers are not very good or consistent.

With so many other wonderful suppliers online, I'm not sure I'll be buying from Hirt's again even though they had lower prices.
Positive MainlyMaine
Jefferson, ME
July 1, 2015
On Sunday 6/27 I ordered 4 X 4"plants. They arrived in Maine today, 7/1. It took only 4 days from ordering to receiving. Wow, I am impressed. The plants were in wonderful shape. They are healthy and raring to go. Very vigorous. Thank you, Hirt's garden
Positive ArmyWife47
Junction City, KS
July 1, 2015
I ordered 4 plants from Hirt's Gardens (Night Blooming Jasmine plant, Bhut Jolokia Chile Pepper plant, Orange Mint plant, and Strawberry Mint plant). They arrived quickly, very well packaged and beautiful green and healthy looking. Three of the plants had details on/in their pots, except for one, which I am hoping is actually an Orange Mint Plant!

I am a Novice at gardening, so I will definitely update the progress in 10-14 days.

My initial impression of my purchase is definitely a good one!
Positive enjay2015
Rochelle Park, NJ
June 18, 2015
I ordered twice from Hirts in June 2014 & i have to say that the total 44 arborvitaes i got from them one year later are all growing very nicely. I posted my plants' progress with pictures on gardenweb.com under "American pillar arborvitae" from arrival of the plants, just off the box, after 1 summer season on the ground then a year later. So happy that their prices are cheaper than most. Thats the main reason i ordered from them because i need 44 of this plant. I wouldnt have afford them if not for their low price. Shipping was also very good, i got my plants a week after i placed the order.
Negative Babsfan
Conway, AR (Zone 7b)
May 15, 2015
I ordered 16 plants. As I was pulling the shredded newspaper away I was excited to see green leaves appearing. Alas. 4 plants showing green - 12 plants soggy and rotten and smelly in their pots.
Never again!

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]