3904 Kensington Court
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina 29577 (United States)

Editor's Comment:

Question Mark Official website is down. Possibly closed.

Notes

Posted on December 25, 2010
Penny's NEW for 2011 Catalog is now available.
Check out our Gourmet Black Tomatoes, Increased Cherry tomato Assortment and the new 'Collection Series' where you can $ave big $$$.

Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a catalog right out. Just mention DG.
Also, the Giant Italian Tomato Seeds are in full stock and we shouldn't run out this year.
Tomato-Ly Yours, Penny

posted on December 27, 2010

Reviews:

Displaying the 32 most recent reviews

On Mar 31, 2015, townseeh (1 reviews) from Wadmalaw Island, SC

Planted 66 seeds and got 65 healthy plants up and actively growing! Thanks for quality seeds

On Mar 4, 2014, bluemerle (2 reviews) from North Las Vegas, NV (Zone 9a)

Posted on March 4, 2014, updated March 4, 2014 Posted on November 5, 2013, updated March 4, 2014 Penny is the best!! She has been so very helpful with my trying to grow tomatoes in the desert--Las Vegas!! This year it was 118 degrees for days and stayed way over 105 for 2 weeks. My Heirloom Purple Cherokee, Penny's favorite, made it and even though I had to grow them in 5 galleon pots, I got quite a few big tomatoes. If our weather gets back to normal--around 75 degrees, I'm still hoping the rest will ripen. I harvested one today. I've been following Penny's and Joe, even though I'm not into hot, Face Book pages for years. No matter how busy they must be, they help everybody right away. Timing is everything. Best business there is!!!

On March 4th, 2014, bluemerle added the following: Hi Penny, Sorry it's been so long before you receive ,(if you do), my review. My last very POSTIVE review that I tried to post on Feb. 27, 2014, was HALTED/REJECTED!! I don't know where to post a NEW review for you, so here I am. I don't have this problem with Pepper Joe's. Just want to see if this goes through before I post my REAL review. Thanks, Diane Huff..(bluemerle) [email protected]
On March 4th, 2014, bluemerle added the following: Yeah, it went through!! My comments about all my troubles with Watch dog's admin, Terry, are on Pepper Joe's comment/review site. Anyway, All my Tomato seeds arrived quickly and safely in their secure bubble package. What beautiful seeds!! Nice and plumb, big and fresh looking. Such a difference from the last mail order seeds I got from Ebay. 3 germinated out of 20!!! At your recommendation for my very HOT desert climate, I bought, " Arkansas Traveler" and "Floradade". Thank you for the 3 FREE packs of Tomato seeds--"Roma", (another heat tolerate one), and "Golden Jubilee" & "Rutgers Red". Thanks about the shipping, too. I received 6 packs of seeds from Pepper Joe's on the same day I received yours. I've heard this is going to be the hottest summer on record!! I'll let you know how we all make it through!! With your usual great advice, I'm sure they'll do fine. Just hope I do...lol. Your loyal customer, Diane Huff....(bluemerle) [email protected]

On Sep 2, 2013, mikedag (1 reviews) from Virginia Beach, VA

Have bought many seeds from Penny's/Pepper Joes. The plants I grew from the Volcano in a box are in their second year of producing now and are doing great. Lots and Lots of superhots!

On Aug 22, 2013, tinahelwig (2 reviews) from Hidden Meadows, CA

I found Penny's Tomatoes doing web searches on growing tomatoes. I regularly go to her site for information on seeds, growing conditions, problems with tomatoes etc. I also have bought seeds from her and they were clean, well packaged and had a very good germination rate. My FAVORITE part of Penny's Tomatoes is that even with a busy Facebook page if I post a question or a photo for help, Penny will answer it and give me good information. She is my go to person for problems I am stumped on.

On Aug 13, 2013, bubbab115 (1 reviews) from Broadview Park, FL

Thumbs up to Penny and Pepper Joe's seeds! Have had great results in the past, quick delivery times, great varieties (both Peppers and Tomatoes),and when needed they answered my gardening questions in a timely response. Their web site is informative, lots of pictures, recipes, and they seem to be always searching for/updating their seed inventories with new tomatoes/peppers. I would highly recommend their seeds to my friends and fellow gardeners.

On Aug 8, 2013, KismetKaren (1 reviews) from Gaithersburg, MD

We have ordered from Penny's for a few years now - we now grow amazing tomatoes every year! The Hillbilly Leaf tomatoes (my favorite of all time) are especially enormous this year - seriously as big as my hand - giants!!! Always satisfied with all of our tomatoes from Penny's.

On Jul 24, 2013, brideyful (1 reviews) from san antonio, TX,
United States

Just ordered for the first and the service was very prompt and courteous. Got my seeds in just a few days nicely packaged and best of all a few freebie seeds as well! Can't wait for some Texas fall tomatoes!

On Jul 22, 2013, DaveCase (1 reviews) from Watertown, SD

Very quick with shipping and friendly when contacted.

On Jul 16, 2013, sharonkw60 (1 reviews) from Panama, OK

Penny]s Tomatoes has been really great in helping me with my gardening issues,I have been to their site many times for helpful hints.I will continue to visit them so that I may learn more about gardening.Thank You Sharon Williamson

On Jul 6, 2013, ariel_shushan (1 reviews) from Zichron Ya'akov,
Israel

The only place to order tomato seeds from, in my opinion. very fast shipping (oversea...), great quality, very good germination precentage, very well organized. There is so much to choose from, but every choice is a good one. I also enjoyed the great communication with Penny, and the little guide booklet. Thanks a lot for you great service, ans seeds, of course...

On Jun 30, 2013, gtonanna (1 reviews) from Waxahachie, TX

I just love the quality of the seeds. I bought several varieties of tomatoes. I planted just 2 of the varieties and got 100% germination. I am a customer for life now. I also bought peppers at Pepper Joes. they gave me the same results. the Jalapeno are great.

On Jun 22, 2013, PepperDave (2 reviews) from Orchards, WA

I have just begun my learning experience about growing tomatoes and peppers this year. Penny's products are high quality and great prices. You can't get any better and personal service. Penny's is THE place to get your tomato and herb seeds.

On Apr 27, 2013, acelady02 (1 reviews) from Washington, GA

I have been buy from Penny's for 3 years now, I have had great germination every year. This year my first seed popped its little head up in 3 days, I had 2 more on the 4th day. I'm sure I will see all of them in the next day or two, When ever I need a question answered I can count on Penny to help me out in a quick manner. I've gotten seeds other places but have never been as happy with them as I am with Penny's Tomatoes, give her a try you won't be disappointed.

On Apr 13, 2013, Conanica (1 reviews) from Boardman, OH

I have been buying my seeds from Pepper Joe and Penny's Tomatoes for 5 years now. I have had nothing but great success from them - the seeds have a close to 100% germination rate, and the yield from the plants has always been excellent. I normally buy the "Normal" varieties of peppers and tomatoes locally, but for the more exotic varieties, you can't beat Joe and Penny! This year, I'm trying Giant Syrian and Hillbilly Leaf tomatoes for the first time. I planted them about 2 months ago indoors under a grow light, and the plants are doing excellent! They are over 2 feet tall already! If you're looking for a good place to buy unique and exotic pepper and tomato seeds, look no further...Pepper Joe and Penny's Tomatoes is the place you've been looking for!

On Apr 13, 2013, BubsFarm (1 reviews) from Groton, MA

I really can't say enough good things about Penny's Tomatoes. In my experience in terms of reliability they surely cannot be beat. I always have virtually a 100% success rate for germination and all my plants are always vigorous producers. They are always great to deal with and my seeds usually arrive within days. There is always free seeds with every order and if you follow them on facebook you see that on top of free seeds they are always throwing in other goodies like free shipping from time to time. Their catalog lacks all the bells and whistles of most seed suppliers but what they do have is a huge, diverse selection of the some of the finest and rarest tomato varieties you can barely find elsewhere all at one supplier. One thing that is important to me and my farm business I am looking to start is the use of untreated seeds. On the political side of the spectrum (let alone the unknown health risks of consuming genetically modified foods) I want to do all that I can to not support the giant industrialized corporate "agriculture" business. Penny's Tomatoes and Pepper Joes have taken the Safe Seed Pledge and provide nothing but quality, untreated seeds to their customers. I love supporting Penny's Tomatoes (and Pepper Joe's of coarse). They are two people who love growing and they really do so much to show to their customers that they appreciate them with their service and their seeds of unparallelled quality.

On Apr 3, 2013, Sconnie_Planter (2 reviews) from Kenosha, WI

Penny's Tomatoes (and their counterpart, Pepper Joe's) are THE first source for tomato and pepper seeds. Their seeds have almost 100% germination and never fail to produce. Any store-bought brands (such as Burpee or Park) have continued to disappoint.... having to plant multiple seeds to make sure one comes up. With Penny's seeds, I KNOW they will sprout. And they grow FAST! I started my indoor plants later this year as they grew too fast last year. After growing too many plants (again), I gave away many to friends and coworkers. Their feedback was amazing! We all noticed that the tomato and pepper plants that originated from Penny's and Pepper Joe's had few bug problems, were fantastic growers and produced a LOT of fruit. Go to Penny's Tomatoes (and Pepper Joe's). You won't regret it. Their prices are very reasonable and you will use less seeds for the same results. And their deals are great. They always include free seeds and, if you sign up for emails, they send lots of special deals throughout the year (such as free shipping). And they are always will to give advice and answer questions. Their sites have tons of cool information and growing tips. GO... BUY SOME NOW! You will be happy you did!

On Mar 31, 2013, bullheather (1 reviews) from brantford,
Canada

Very fast delivery of excellent well labelled seeds. The germination rate for tomatoes and peppers was exceptional. Germination rate 100 %. So nice to have communication with facebook after posting pictures. Love all websites for Pennys Tomatoes and Pepper Joes.

On Mar 30, 2013, leiber11 (2 reviews) from Glen Raven, NC

Great company to deal with! I have almost 100% germination from the seeds that I bought. Penny will also answer email questions quickly! Buy with confidence here!

On Mar 18, 2013, Spheramid (1 reviews) from Waco, KY

First time buying from Penny and also Pepper Joe, and the seeds came really quick from S.C. to Ky. I had excellent germination numbers, and have lil buggers up about 2". I did manage to kill some , and I do have some stunted ones ( peppers mostly) so I ordered more , and again, prompt shipment was a good thing. I chose Penny's from face book posts and I also wanted to deal with a smaller grower that had non GMO on hand. So I chose Penny's and Pepper Joes and will again. Thanks to you both!

On Mar 15, 2013, bovee23 (2 reviews) from Suffolk, VA

Thanks Penny for some amazing seeds. I bought the Boxcar Willie, Black Krim, Early Wonder, Black Seaman, San Marzano and rec'vd Homestead, Rutgers Red and Golden Jubilee's for free. It's only been a couple weeks since I planted my first batch and I have to report that I went with 2 seeds per peat pot - and had 2 sprouts from all but maybe 2 of them. But those two had 1. Started 5 of each... so that's pretty darn good germination rates! I have since started another 5 of each (twice) and the second batch has just sprouted with same rate as first! Amazing. I've been sending friends to your site... keep up the great work and thanks for the great selection! Had very similar success with Pepper Joe - strongly recommend them both to anyone looking to have good success - even with very little experience... I've had a garden 2 years now and thanks to those two - it's been awesome! James

On Feb 7, 2013, acavada (1 reviews) from San Antonio, TX

I ordered two types of tomato seeds and got free seeds with the order. The free seeds actually turned out to be seeds that I wanted to buy but didn't end up choosing myself. It was a very nice surprise that I was sent such great seeds! Shipping was expected to be about a week, but I got my order within days. I still had some seeds from last year that I never got around to planting. I planted my new seeds (and the free seeds!) and the seeds I ordered last year and they ALL sprouted within a week. It's only been a couple of weeks now, and I have beautiful tomato seedlings thriving. I bought tomato seeds before from other companies, but after her great service and the wonderful exchange she has on facebook with her "fans" and customers, I'm literally hooked.

On Jan 19, 2013, lobsterlover12 (2 reviews) from Verona, IL

I have ordered seeds from both Pepper Joe's and Penny's Tomatoes. They are quick to send my items to me, offer great shipping deals, include more seeds than promised per pack, and free packs of seeds with my orders. I was lucky enough to be gifted Serrano seeds in early September with my Carolina Reaper order. They are a vivacious and hardy plant. What a nice and unexpected bonus for my garden. At one point, I was confused as to the best care for some of my plants. I e-mailed the companies and received fast replies with expert advice on how to best maintain my plants. I am proud to be a loyal customer of PJ and PT and will continue to purchase seeds for myself and my friends through their site. I am the envy of my neighbors, even in the middle of winter, because I have tomato plants taller than myself growing in my indoor garden. Fresh tomatoes and peppers at Christmas will make any summer gardeners jealous. And if these plants can do this well inside, I can't wait to get my outdoor garden started in the Spring!!! Thanks PJ and PT for your abundance of seeds and advice! Loyally Yours, Amber

On Jan 7, 2013, gardenmist216 (1 reviews) from BALL GROUND, GA

wow!!! I was very please with the seeds that I grew from Penny's tomatoes. The tomatoes looked just like they did in the picture. My garden was so beautiful and the envy of the neighborhood all of the neighbors went on the tour. One neighbor even brought out of town guests to come visit my garden just because the size of the tomatoes was so unbelievable. I HIGHLY recommend this company. I have sent many friends to her website and also shared the website on my Facebook gardening forums. A++++++

On Dec 11, 2012, Robert1968 (2 reviews)

I have never had a problem with Penny's Tomatoes, always had fast service.

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors...

It is the policy of the Watchdog that customers cannot publish multiple reviews under different usernames in order to manipulate a company's rating. It has been determined that this review originated from the same source as two other recent reviews here. Therefore all these reviews have been changed from a positive to neutral rating so they will not affect the overall ratings given by customers.

On Dec 9, 2012, deamonpeppersla (2 reviews) from Hightsville, NC

I have had many dealings with Penny, she is very knowledgeable about her products. Penny has always been very courteous,polite and more than willing to help out a fellow grower with any problems they may have. I have never had any problems with shipping orders and have had almost 100% germination rates for any seeds i have purchased from her. I highly recommend Buying seeds from Penny's tomatoes. You will never have to worry about not getting your order or have to worry about the quality of the product.

On Dec 4, 2012, frdlturner (2 reviews) from Galena, MO

I learned about Penny's Tomatoes from Pepperjoe's site.. I ordered several tomatoes packs and they arrived very quickly... Seeds germinating in several days.... got lots of tomatoes from them so many my Aunt would come over and get some... she wants to get some from Penny's now.

On Dec 3, 2012, slade1968 (2 reviews) from Hightsville, NC

I have had but excellent service from Penny at Penny's Tomatoes, Always very fast and prompt replies and delivery of orders. I highly recommend Penny's Tomatoes to anyone that has a garden.

On Nov 30, 2012, Tim_Miltz (1 reviews) from Greensburg, PA

I am thrilled with the service and communication with Penny's Tomatoes and Pepper Joe's. My order came fast, nice bubble wrap protection. Joe currently has the Carolina Reaper, which is what I ordered. It's said to be the next hottest pepper in the world. I can't wait. Of course, I don't eat a whole pepper- not at age 44. I can validate there are two very good people behind this business and I highly recommend it. I emailed Joe and he said they've been in business I think 22 years - something like that. Real nice people and PROMPT response on my emails.

On Nov 19, 2012, gardenbops (3 reviews) from Milford, CT

I can't say enough good things about Penny's Tomatoes. Orders are always filled promptly. I have had 90% or better germination rates with the seeds. The prices are excellent. I really recommend "Penny's Pick" and the "Black tomato collection." I may be biased because I do have a preference for black tomatoes - but it is a lot of seeds for your money. The "Penny's Pick" was especially good because she doesn't send old seeds she can't sell. She actually sends you some good seeds that will work in your growing zone.

On Feb 22, 2012, lostleah (1 reviews) from Fifth Street, TX

I have never tried to grow anything from a seed before. Penny's Tomatoes guided me on what varieties to consider for my area, they shipped quickly and almost 100% of the seeds I started have sprouted. I now have so many plants that everyone I know will be getting tomato plants as gifts when they are old enough to leave home.

On Feb 22, 2012, vicsouders (1 reviews) from Fountain City, WI

Questions are answered quickly and a delivery is fast. A great company to do business with!

On Nov 10, 2010, myrtleman34 (4 reviews) from myrtle beach,
United States (Zone 8a)

You guys should see the tomatos I am growing. Your seeds are some of the best!

» Read the rest of the reviews