The scoop on 'American Meadows'

American Meadows

American Meadows has 1813 products listed in PlantScout.

223 Avenue D, #30
Williston, Vermont 05495 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-309-7333

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants and seeds.

Company Comment, posted on July 2, 2012:
"American Meadows is one of the most respected online retailers of wildflower seeds, perennial plants and flower bulbs in North America. Our customers range from some of the most experienced horticulturists to beginning gardeners."

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive earlcollins
Matthews, NC
July 22, 2018

After I saw several negative reviews for American Meadows on Dave's Garden and I wanted to share my experience.

My yard is clay with essentially no topsoil but the lawn does OK. So when I started a flower garden late last year, I added a lot of topsoil.

The experiences I have had since then with mail order nurseries has been good and bad. American Meadows is one of the very best.

There were three orders from them, Lilies, Gladiolus and a mixed lot of Astilbe, Columbine, etc.

The size, condition and packaging of the plants and bulbs was excellent.

I signed up with Dave's Garden to share this experience. My recommendation is to order from American Meadows.

Negative mgofmcnj
Bordentown, NJ
May 28, 2018
Up until last fall, I had good experiences with this company. Then things changed, Last fall I ordered a frittilaria and hepatica. Neither survived.
I chose not to report it.
This Spring I ordered a siberian iris and echinacea. When the order arrived, the echinacea plant was out of its pot with soil all over the shipping container. I reported it and they sent me another. Now, they advertise they send materials in 3-4 inch pots; however this replacement was no more than a seedling in a 1-2 inch pot. I planted it but it's doubtful that it will survive
Last month I received an email from them asking how I liked the frittilaria, nothing else. Since I had their attention I responded , giving them the status of all of the plants I have ordered from since last fall. So far, I have not heard word one from them. I am very disappointed with this past season's and last fall's experience.
Company representative comment on May 28, 2018:
On May 28, 2018 12:23 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear mgofmcnj, I'm sorry to hear that you did not have success with your most recent orders. As you know, gardening can be fickle and that's why we offer our satisfaction guarantee.

As you experienced, we made some "improvements" to our packaging this year to try and improved quality, but the changes were not entirely successful. We continue to innovate and evolve our packaging to ensure that we're getting plants to customers safely, while keeping wasted packaging and packing labor to a minimum.

From you posting, it appears as though you were sent a product review email. We work to read all of those as well as any comments, but during the peak season, we often fall behind. Our customer service team is here Mon-Sat and stands ready to assist via phone, email or live chat.

Positive lwagne
Cassville, MO
May 26, 2018
Just received my order for ONE honeysuckle plant and I could not be more pleased. The plant arrived healthy and ready to grow. I think it has grown two inches overnight. The box it was packed in would have held eight plants nicely. The packing was supurb. A cardboard flap folded over the single container with a slot for the plant out the top. It held the container in place and kept the growing part safe. Air pillows filled the empty spaces. It is well watered and has an excellent root system already established. Could not be more happy. I will certainly use Amerian Meadows again.. I heard they had packaging issues and were working on solving them. This plant was as perfectly packed as it could be.
Positive Barbara1987
Amherst, MA
May 24, 2018
Posted on February 26, 2013, updated May 24, 2018
I had a great first experience with American Meadows. I just placed my first order with them, ordering seed packets for my early spring wedding. I emailed with questions about the packets and received a response right away from a lovely customer service representative. I then placed my order, got free shipping :) and the packets just came in the mail yesterday. I am thrilled with the service I got and am excited for my guests to plant the seeds! I would highly recommend this company.
On May 24th, 2018, Barbara1987 added the following:

I wanted to add on to my earlier positive review of this company. Since I found them for seed packets for my wedding, I've been ordering their wildflower seeds, bulbs, and perennials for my garden and have been so pleased! The bleeding hearts I planted in the fall are coming up and already in bloom and I just planted a variety of their Zinnia seeds in my back yard. Every time I call I speak with a knowledgeable gardener who helps me decide what to plant and each order has been meticulously packed and arrived to me on time. Me and my garden thank you!
Negative grommet
Largo, FL
May 11, 2018
One order was received with all six plants helter skelter in the box, some had green tops but most seemed to be just dried up roots/soil. I managed to resurrect two of the six and told the company of my experience. They were so nice that I came back with another order of, I believe, six plants.

Second order had three plant containers in place and three hither and yon with dried soil, dried roots and labels free floating in the box. I asked for a refund and, again, they were very polite and agreed to a partial refund.

I've received other mail order plants which were sent express mail. These were sent (both) UPS with local post office doing final delivery. That might be the problem. I wouldn't order again tho...
Company representative comment on May 11, 2018:
On May 11, 2018 2:08 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear grommet, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We worked to improve our packaging this spring and as you (and others) have experienced, it still needs work. It's a constant effort to design packaging that's universal enough to hold all 300+ varieties of live plants that we sell, convenient enough to keep our packing time reasonable and doesn't waste packaging resources. We're always working to learn and improve and appreciate your feedback.

I'm glad you found our service team friendly and prompt. They work very hard, especially this time of year. I hope we have a chance to earn your business again in the future.

Negative lower_Ashland
Ashland, MO (Zone 6a)
May 10, 2018
In April I received an order from this company. The plants were poorly packed and thoroughly dehydrated . One Eupatorium had fallen out of its pot and lay dead in the bottom of the box. Two Hydrangea quercifolia 'Ruby Slippers' had probably been dead for months before they were even shipped to me. When I complained to customer service I was told they had switched nurseries and were having a few problems with some of the orders. I asked for a refund and was told it would be processed in 6-10 days. I would never again order anything from these people.
Company representative comment on May 10, 2018:
On May 10, 2018 12:31 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear Ronald,

I'm sorry that you were not happy with your order with us. I see in our notes that we reached out via email when you first voiced your concern and offered to refund you for the plants you were not happy with (you'd indicated that it was only a portion of the order), but we also asked you to plant and care for them in any event. Because we did not hear back on that email, we did not take any further action.

As for the delay that you mention, we process refunds within 24 hours of when they're requested. It's your credit card company that can take 6-10 days to actually post the refund to your account. We have no control over that - it's the same with any vendor, online or not. When we post a refund, the money comes out of our bank the very same day - it's the credit card company who takes their time in order to enjoy the use of those funds for a week or more!

Finally, there's no excuse for the dirt coming loose in shipping. That said, this has been a very challenging season weather-wise for all gardening companies (online or otherwise). The late spring in much of the country (our plants are grown all over the US) means that some products have not woken up as quickly as normal, and thus certain varieties have not had as full a root system as optimal. It's one of the challenges when working with "live goods" and we're always seeking to get better.

Best Wishes, Ethan

Negative carolstropicals
Bellaire, TX
May 4, 2018
I had the same experience as DancingBearTwo. My first spring order came with totally dry pots. They did not water before sending. That order was salvageable.
When placing the second order this spring (duh!!), I wrote on the order form where it says specific instructions to please water the plants before sending.
When they came, they were in a Total Mess. Dirt strewn everywhere - plants everywhere. NO TAGS were sent with the plants. I had no idea what was what. One plant didn't have a pot - a small tiny thing that just traveled around the box the entire shipping time. Thank goodness I was home. I potted everything, but had no idea what would make it and what would not.
I finally decided to call the co. Friendly girl who would have given me some money back, but all I wanted was for them to know to WATER the plants before shipment.
She said to take a picture for Identifying each plant and send to them. Literally days went by then it was over a week. NO Answer.

Finally I emailed relaying that I would post this on Garden
Watchdog if they didn't reply.
An awful rep wrote that the plants if watered would mold or rot. WHAT !!

I had asked for my total shipping back since they are definitely AWFUL shippers. The rep just ignored this request. I still don't know if the plants will make it.

NO more orders to this company. So disappointing !!
Company representative comment on May 7, 2018:
On May 7, 2018 8:24 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear Carol, thanks for your feedback and for your faithful business for over 5 years. We hate disappointing any customer, yet alone one as loyal as you!

We did take your feedback to heart and are always working to improve our shipping processes. Shipping plants either too dry or too wet each present their own challenges. When you add in the variable of different transit times, it's an inexact science but we're always working to improve.

We simply want our customers to be successful and look forward to helping resolve your concerns and as always, stand behind our 100% guarantee.

Best, Ethan

Negative boocatbutterbee
Coquille, OR
April 30, 2018
Posted on April 28, 2018, updated April 30, 2018
I was sent a DEAD plant, for $20.68. A. DEAD. PLANT. I ordered one plant, and they couldn\'t do that properly.
On April 30th, 2018, boocatbutterbee added the following:

Edmund implies the plant I was sent was dormant. It was NOT dormant. The plant I was sent was an insult. I have no idea where the grower's greenhouse is - Minnesota, perhaps? I am in my sixties and have been gardening since I was eight. The plant was so dead, it was desiccated. I couldn't believe the state it was in and so I snapped off the ends of the twigs. They were so dried out, so long dead, they were empty inside.

Edmund, you need to try to talk to the packers on a day when they are straight and explain to them the difference between a dead and a dormant plant, because YOUR PACKING STAFF IN THIS PARTICULAR GREENHOUSE DOES NOT KNOW. So contact that sub-contractor and get on them about that.

I want my $12.73 and the $7.95 shipping refunded.

[Note: A friend warned me not to order from these guys. Being paranoid, I placed a duplicate order with a second nursery. I received the same plant from them; that one must have 30 leaves on it and looks gorgeous. What buddleia is dormant the end of April? Is the greenhouse in Alaska?]

As for me, I will stick with the quality crew at Proven Winners. That place rocks! They believe that the customer is always right. Their specimens are the best I have ever seen. Order from them - you will be pleased, not disappointed.
Company representative comment on May 1, 2018:
On Apr 30, 2018 9:33 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear Catherine, I\'m sorry that you were not happy with your butterfly bush. That is a plant that ships dormant with minimal top growth. The goal is to provide plants in an optimal state for transplanting. In the case of the butterfly bush when shipped in the spring, we focus on ensuring that there is a deep and healthy root system, ready to take off in your garden. Please plant it and care for it per the instructions and I\'m confident that you\'ll be pleased with the results.

Per the request in your email, I will be sure that you\'re contacted by a sober employee to work on a resolution.

On May 1, 2018 4:57 AM, American Meadows added:

Catherine, we guarantee all of our products; we wouldn't have been in business for 37 years if we didn't focus on making customers happy and providing high quality products. As I mentioned, our customer service team will be in touch.

Negative GldnStTrnsplnt
Kittery, ME
April 27, 2018
I received several orders from American Meadows this month (it was a long winter!). In the first order I received 3 dahlia plants (tubers), only one of which was actually viable. One was so rotted that every tuber on it was mush. Another was so banged up in the shipping process (I assume- I certainly hope it wasn't packaged that way) that not a single tuber was still connected, they were individually loose in the bag. I also received 16 echinacea plugs in this order, which were very small, yellowed, and sickly looking. Their tags were mixed up with the tags for the black eyed susans that were also in the order (which were small but healthy looking) and this left me having to figure out what was what. However, my second order was even worse. I ordered more echinacea (I placed the order before I received the first batch, or I certainly would not have) and in comparison that first batch of echinacea was no big deal. The second set of 16 plugs I received consisted of plug containers, some of which had no visible leaves, others of which had blackened dead leaves, and all of which had an orange warning label 'reassuring' me that the roots were still good. I found the warning labels even more disturbing than the condition of the mostly dead plants - clearly someone realized that these were in significantly sub-standard condition, but they were packed up and sent anyways. I am incredibly disappointed with my experience (after having a previous positive experience with their wildflower seeds, which were excellent) and do not plan to place any orders with them in the future.
Company representative comment on April 30, 2018:
On Apr 30, 2018 9:28 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear GldnStTrnsplnt; Thank you for your loyal business over the last 3 years. I'm sorry that your order didn't meet your satisfaction. I see that you contacted customer service and sent photos - thank you. That's always helpful.

Yes, some of the products you ordered are products that we ship dormant in the spring. Although your photos showed the lack of top growth, they did not show the root systems. That's what really matters. Regardless, I hope that you plant them and care for them per the instructions - I'm confident that you'll be surprised with how quickly they take off, especially since it's finally starting to warm up here in New England.

Our customer service team will be in touch to discuss.

Best Wishes, Ethan

Positive DUKETYPE
Devon, PA
April 19, 2018
I purchased eight Hidcote Lavender plants from American Meadows several months ago for delivery in early April. When the plants arrived, they looked small and sickly. Two died within days. I emailed customer service, and Erika went right on the case. She immediately replaced the two dead Lavenders. Sadly, within a week the balance of the order went to meet its Maker. When I emailed Erika again to tell her of the funeral arrangements, she kindly offered to replace everything, all at no charge.

I can't say enough kind things about Erika and American Meadows. Not many Internet gardening firms—in which customer and seller are strangers—are willing to extend their generosity to replacing an entire order at no charge. But American Meadows' customer service staff has shown me nothing but kindness and courtesy. Gardening businesses like theirs are unfortunately too rare. I recommend American Meadows without reservation.
Positive Shesco
Salt Lake City, UT
April 19, 2018
I am in the process of planting native plants in my yard, including Milkweeds to attract Monarch butterflies. I ordered my plants from American Meadows. They arrived quickly and were all very well packaged and in excellent shape. I transferred them to my yard two days after I received them due to weather, and there was no transplant shock and they are all doing very well. I ordered more plants this week and am looking forward to receiving them and continuing my planting. I am going to be using American Meadows for all of my native planting.
Negative DancingBearTwo
Winston Salem, NC
April 10, 2018
I ordered 3 Zebrina Mallow (3" pots) from American Meadows, and the order arrived today. When I opened the box it was filled with dirt and the pots were empty. I dug through the dirt and found three very tiny (around 1 inch) "plugs," which were totally dried out. I called the company to complain, and was put on infinite hold. I wrote to them, and only hope that their customer service is better than my worthless order for which I paid $34.39.
Company representative comment on April 10, 2018:
On Apr 10, 2018 10:13 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear DancingBearTwo:

I'm sorry that you were not happy with your order and that you were on hold when you called. We're a small team and it's our peak season, so we do our best to juggle the phones. I do see that you emailed and we followed up within an hour.

The Mallow are shipped as a dormant plant. We looked at our stock in the greenhouse and although there's no top growth, they are fully rooted to the sides and bottom of the pots. That's what matters - that you get a healthy root system, ready to take off once transplanted.

Please plant and care for the three mallow per the planting guide that you received and we are confident that they'll take off quickly. In the meantime, our customer support team's reached out directly to discuss your order.

Positive mcgillMDCM
Guilford, CT
October 26, 2017
I live in CT and wanted to start a butterfly garden. I ordered as many different types of milkweed as I could find from American Meadows. The plants arrived at the correct time very well packaged. One variety was substandard and they informed me of that, credited me the cost without my asking. They were correct, it did not grow. However the others were very effective monarch magnets. It is October 25 and my tropical milkweed is still attracting monarchs with its red and yellow blooms.
They provided prompt advice when I called or emailed with questions.
Positive ginzmail
Sidney, IL (Zone 5b)
August 21, 2017
I ordered for the first time from American Meadows this summer. They had good prices on Itho peonies in their online sale catalog. I ordered 2 and they shipped them promptly. I was a bit surprised since I didn't really expect them until fall. However, the plants were beautiful and so well packed that I couldn't believe it!!!! Both were planted immediately in the same bed and received the same care but, sadly, one of them just failed to thrive and withered up. The other is doing beautifully. I contacted customer service via email and received a response within 24 hours offering me a refund or credit. I truly appreciate a company that stands behind its products and plan on ordering from them again.
Positive skyvalleyrichie
Gold Bar, WA
June 16, 2017
Posted on June 12, 2017, updated June 16, 2017
I ordered two orders of Native Pacific Northwest Wildflower Seed Mix
totaling 1.25 lbs of seed. I was not 100% satisfied with the product and called them out on their 100% satisfaction guarantee due to low germination rate and very little blooms which was two flowers at the time of the complaint, with a very little more at this point. I was met with blame shifted on the planting space and clay soil which their information stated that they grow in clay. I pointed out that we had the wettest year on record for western Washington. I had a feeling their outlandish claim of 100% customer satisfaction was too good to be true. I will be buying my wildflower seeds elsewhere and am glad I found out early on what kind of company I was dealing with as I even stated I planned on being a customer for life. Buyer beware.
On June 16th, 2017, skyvalleyrichie changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I was was at fault for not following the instructions, I made a mistake in my calculation for seed rate for the area I was planting, I am embarrassed to have blamed them and thought they were being dishonest, It was my blunder and I own that now. I apologize for the previous comments.
Company representative comment on June 13, 2017:
On Jun 13, 2017 9:36 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear Richard, I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations regarding the success you had with our seed. In reviewing our communications with you, I definitely see areas that we could improve upon. That said, what Sam was trying to convey in her emails with you was to not give up. Too often, we see people who don't see immediate results with seed and they want to start over. After presumably doing all the proper prep work for your planting, we don't want to see you start fresh if you don't need to.

I've asked our head of Customer Service to reach out to discuss the best next steps. We are happy to honor our guarantee and send more seed, if that's what makes the most sense to get you the ultimate results.

Thank you for your business. Ethan Platt | President

Positive sawman43
Moravian Falls, NC
May 26, 2017
We had an area below where we planted our orchard that slopes down to our pond that was overgrowing with mostly brush and weeds. We wanted to reclaim the area and make it more attractive. We found American Meadows online and I was impressed with the seed packages they offered for our region. We chose seeds for our region and placed an order. They arrived promptly.
After preparing the area we planted last fall. A portion of the area got washed out in a heavy rain even though we mulched due to the grade so we reordered. We are now enjoying beautiful wild flowers as the annuals have come in strong. We cannot wait for the perennials and biennials that will follow. We are blessed with a large population of butterflies and hummingbirds. The meadow will also help draw honey bees beneficial to the new orchard we planted last fall as well.
There is another area behind our pond that I plan to replant with seeds from American meadows as well. When I have had to contact them they have responded promptly and professionally. I am completely satisfied with the product range they offer and the results from the items I have ordered.
Positive greengardens7
Wilmington, NC
May 16, 2017
This fall, I called American Meadows to get advice on which wildflowers and perennial plants to add to my garden in North Carolina. I spoke with a lovely customer service representative who gave me some great suggestions for fall planting. I waited until now to leave my review because I wanted to see how everything grew this spring. WOW, am I impressed! Many of the annual wildflowers are already blooming and my perennials seem to be getting bigger by the minute. I am thoroughly impressed with this company's customer service, shipping, and quality of their plants and seeds. I would highly recommend them to anyone!
Negative cabbageleaf123
Bayard, IA
May 16, 2017
I ordered 12 Siberian Iris, Caesar's Brother. 1 per bag. What I received was the poorest excuse for roots/plants. One bag was completely empty with only planting medium that surrounds the plants. Out of all, we may have two viable plants, but they were so poor I don't expect them to grow. I would avoid buying from American Meadows.
Company representative comment on May 16, 2017:
On May 16, 2017 9:43 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear cabbageleaf123: I'm very sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with your order. You've been a long-time customer and we want to see you succeed.

Our Siberian Iris roots are typically about the size of an adult palm, so your experience is surprising. Obviously, there never should be empty bags, although from time to time, the automatic packaging line misses one and it's not caught. Our customer service team will reach out directly to rectify.

Negative piscesxander
Sacramento, CA
May 9, 2017
Placed a couple of orders with company for the first time for spring 2017 bulbs. I'll admit I was a bit dazzled by their flashy videos and cute gnome mascot.... Their prices are very high, sometimes up to 3x the prices of competitors so I went in with the expectation of receiving truly premium plants and bulbs. We ordered some tropicanna cannas on a bogo sale - even at the sale price they were more than twice the price of most places. Of the six only one arrived white, one with a bit of black rot, the rest all black mush. I've ordered many cannas this year from many places and all others arrived perfectly firm and white. I immediately contacted them and the rep was very friendly and sent out 4 replacements which arrived promptly; yet still all arrived with some rot. Out of 10 canna rhizomes only 4 are growing. Three of them I literally crushed in the palm of my hand and they turned to paste with no firm fragment of rhizome to be found.
In another order I'd placed for some thai giant elephant ear - at twice the price of other dealers - the order arrived well packed on a reasonable schedule but both plants arrived with about 80% chlorosis. Two leaves per plant but mostly white. I've been nursing them indoors in indirect bright light at 76 degrees but I think they're gonna die, we'll see. I've ordered these before from others in years past and they've never arrived so anemic.
We did order a few other plants, some daylily and hardy hibiscus which are all arrived healthy and are growing very readily, yet for the value of the price paid the plants were rather small specimens. In all I won't order from this dealer again. Nothing that arrived at a premium price was at all impressive. I'd recommend shopping elsewhere at a better value.
Company representative comment on May 9, 2017:
On May 9, 2017 9:07 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear Eric, I'm very sorry that you were not satisfied with your order. We work hard to ensure that we only source and ship the best plants, bulbs and seeds available anywhere, and offer them at competitive prices.

Based on your feedback, we're taking a close look at our canna inventory - each and every rhizome should be big, firm and ready to thrive. As for the plants, please continue to care for them as you indicated - we're confident that you'll be satisfied with the results. If not, we always stand by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Happy Gardening - Ethan

Negative JoshuaWGR
Amarillo, TX
April 22, 2017
Very disappointed with American Meadows. I've placed multiple orders with this company over the past few years, and my previous experiences have been wonderful (thus, the two star rating). However, I will not be ordering from American Meadows ever again.

I placed an order on February 26, 2017 totaling 384.20, which included 16.95 shipping costs. My order was scheduled to ship the week of April 17th.

In the meantime, I received at least one email a week urging me to "add to my order before it ships." Last week I called and did just that; I added another $174.25 worth of plants to my existing order. I spoke with Steve who told me my order would ship on Monday April 17th.

While placing my additional order, I noticed that many of the items I had ordered back in February were now on sale, some at half the price of what I had already paid. I asked Steve if they would honor their new lower price. He informed me that since I was receiving no additional charge for expedited shipping on these new items, they would not honor their lower price. I had also received a coupon via email, thanking me for my order and offering $10 off my next purchase of $50 or more. I asked if I could use that coupon; Steve again replied that I could not due to the "free shipping."

On April 17th, I had not yet received a shipping confirmation. I called American Meadows on April 18th. I was told that my order was in the warehouse and would ship out that afternoon or the following morning.

On April 20th, I placed another call as I still had not received a shipping confirmation. I spoke with Steve again, who informed that my order would not ship out until the following week. Then, he spoke with a supervisor who said my order had already shipped and I'd receive an email that evening.

Now, on April 21st, I'm being told that my order will arrive on Tuesday the 25th. This is not "free expedited" shipping.

I have every reason to believe that I have over $500 worth of plants which have been sitting in a warehouse for over week, and will now be in transit for 5 days or more. I'm fully expecting to open boxes of sick and/or dead plants. The same plants I've paid full price for; perhaps I should've cancelled my order and reordered the same items at the sale price? I'll be hoping for best on Tuesday the 25th; regardless of the outcome, I've placed my last order with American Meadows.
Company representative comment on April 22, 2017:
On Apr 22, 2017 8:10 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear Joshua, I'm very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations in our communication.

When we take orders, we try and make it as clear as possible both on our website and in our confirmation emails that your order will ship during the assigned week. We also attempt to organize our orders so that the furthest transit times ship early that week in order to arrive for the weekend. In your case, your order was originally assigned to "ship the week of 4/17." Your order was pulled and printed on 4/18 and sent to the warehouse for picking on the 19th. We did not get through all our orders on the 19th, so yours unfortunately did not ship until the 20th and you would have been sent a tracking number via email that evening. (These often end up in spam.)

I'm sorry for any confusion on the pricing - in looking at the notes in your order, I see that you talked to multiple people in our call center and I apologize if the relevant promotions and sale prices were not clear.

We go to great lengths as an organization not to over-promise. But at this time of year, we are shipping over 2,000 orders per day and for a small company like ours, that leaves little margin for error. Your order will deliver early next week and the quality of the plants should not be negatively effected by the transit. I hope that in the end, you are pleased with what you receive and that we have the chance to earn your trust back in the future.

Best, Ethan Platt | President

Positive dgrhosta
Marietta, GA
April 16, 2017
I ordered Itoh peonies from here earlier this year and was skeptical of on line purchases but this company is TOP NOTCH and helped in every way possible to ensure that I was satisfied with my order.I received my ITOH PEONIES and WOW they were everything and more than I could hope for.packed ext well and were much bigger than I expected. I will definitely be shopping here again
Love the service and loved the entire experience
I don't shop on line often at all but this company has changed my mind by the way they not only processed my order but would explain every detail and policies that they have that will make my plants a success story.
I will shop here again simply because of not only the ease in which it is to order but the very friendly staff that always answered my questions and kept me informed of the status of my order even after I called and added another Itoh peony to my list and making sure that no additional shipping charge would be added due to my previous order and just added this one to it.
Look fwd to more orders from here in the future and will do so with confidence and peace of mind that I won't be getting a dead stick a or a dried up root that I have had from other online venders.GOD BLESS!
Company representative comment on April 16, 2017:
On Apr 16, 2017 9:27 PM, American Meadows responded with:

dgrhosta, thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. It's a crazy time of year for our team, but I'm glad to hear that both our product and service exceeded your expectations. Happy Gardening, Ethan Platt - President

Positive Missosprey
Tulsa, OK
October 2, 2016
American Meadows is probably one of the best organized and well-ran online garden nurseries. When I first started gardening roughly a year ago, I bought from them and planted it wrong - and blamed it on them. I admit, I was wrong to do it - it was my fault that the seeds never sprouted. Regardless, they gave me a refund! A month later, I bought two live plants and misread the label and planted them in full sun - only for them to die… They gave a refund for that too! This website has a cool live chat feature, in which you can talk to real people in real time without being on the phone! As someone who has an audio processing disability and social anxiety, this is a wonderful feature.

Not only do they have wonderful customer service, but they have wonderful products that are fairly priced! Pay attention to any product with a bad review… most the time, they may have planted it wrong - like I initially did (I think I left a bad review for the seeds I first ordered, though I never figured out how to delete it). I purchased their Southwestern Wildflower mix, and it has been wonderful! Sadly, I planted the seeds a bit too close - and now the Scarlet Sage (Salvia coccinea, not Salvia splendens) has taken over! It was bound to happen, since its the tallest growing and is able to grow in shade… Regardless, I’m a happy gardener with a lot of Scarlet Sage!

Native and Organic Gardening is thankfully taking off in America, and American Meadows is helping that happen. As someone who works at a nature center, I believe providing safe, native flora for our wildlife is the best way to garden. In fact, I think our milkweed packets we hand out (we have a strong “save the monarchs” agenda) are from American Meadows! I’m happy to learn that their products are Neonicotinoid-free (something that is incredibly important when growing flowers that are meant to attract insects and wildlife). I hope American Meadows will expand their native selection even more next year! I highly recommend this website to anyone who asks about native gardening at my job, and I know I will for a long time. Thank you for helping me make the baby steps to a beautiful, native garden, American Meadows!
Negative lz2000
Ottawa,
Canada
July 19, 2016
I ordered 15 Traderhorn gladiolus bulbs in March 2016.
Traderhorn are very distinctive flowers: bright red with white at the throat. When these bulbs flowered they were reddish orange with no white marks. I complained to the company and they blamed it on their warehouse. I was given a partial refund - nothing for shipping.
Company representative comment on July 19, 2016:
On Jul 19, 2016 11:13 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Larry,

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your experience with us. I looked into our correspondence with you and as we explained, our policy is to not refund shipping unless there was a specific problem with the shipping or the product arrived damaged. You were refunded for the full amount of the bulbs.

Again, our apologies and best wishes.

Ethan Platt - President

Positive Rcurrier
Williston, VT
June 4, 2016
I planted 5 Allium Globe Master bulbs in the Fall following the directions perfectly. My dog must have loved the smell because he proceeded to immediately dig all 5 up...the first and second and third time I planted them! Frustrated I tossed them back in the ground haphazardly and hoped for the best! All 5 have come up and are absolutely PERFECT! I have had the same luck with other bulbs from AM (tulips - all 50 bloomed), and plants (Liatris is coming up strong and beautiful).
Positive garyj59
Sheboygan, WI (Zone 5a)
May 29, 2016
Ordered some bare root perennials on sale to fill some holes in my garden. They arrived and one bag of roots was unsatisfactory, I e-mailed them and they sent out a replacement right away and they look better. They are in the ground so we'll see.
Positive irisstrock
Bland, VA
May 26, 2016
I have ordered flowers from a number of companies in the past. This is my first experience ordering from American Meadows, but it definitely will not be my last. The plants were shipped promptly and were in excellent condition. I e-mailed their customer service department thanking them and was quickly sent a reply from a very nice young lady. This is the type of service I appreciate....thanks again!!!
Positive andierose
Montfort, WI
May 24, 2016
I placed my first order with American Meadows this year. All the other companies I have used in the past, have been poor. I received all my plants when it was time to plant in our zone and only had a problem with one. I called and an immediate replacement was sent and customer service was fantastic. My plants are now all planted and are growing in leaps and bounds. I cannot believe how fast they are growing. I really love this company and it will be my go to company from here on in.
Positive rudypep
Nashville, TN
May 13, 2016
My initial order of Siberian Iris didn't all survive. Customer Service immediately shipped replacement plants. Second shipment was lost in transit and AmericanMeadows was, once again, ready to ship another replacement. Fortunately, the previous shipment arrived in time to intercept the second replacement. (too confusing?) I was so impressed that they stood behind their plants and supplied replacements so quickly - no questions asked. The original Iris that survived are doing well and I'm looking forward to a healthy crop next year.
Positive VoltairesHeap
Newton Highlands, MA
May 12, 2016
Excellent experience. No errors with my order, wonderful packaging, and excellent quality. Last summer I ordered Dutch Master daffodils and this Spring I was blown away by their beauty. I will definitely be ordering more. I also ordered peonies, which are doing well, and wildflower seed, which is growing like gangbusters. I'm not a great gardener, and I am challenged with lousy conditions, so only the sturdiest plants survive in my garden. So far American Meadows stock is survival of the fittest.
Positive pmikula
Memphis, TN
May 2, 2016
I ordered bulbs from American Meadows recently. The customer service experience I received was extremely nice and my questions were always answered promptly. When my shipment notice was received, I actually received my bulbs the NEXT DAY! I was thrilled to have such fast delivery.

The best of all was the quality of the bulbs. They were actually beautiful to look at - so big and healthy and I just knew they were going to all jump right out of the dirt shortly after I got them planted which was the day I received them.

I will definitely be doing business with American Meadows again because of the high quality of their product and the outstanding customer service I received.

Happy Gardening to all who read this review.
Neutral mike6710301
Staten Island, NY
April 19, 2016
Posted on April 19, 2016, updated April 20, 2016
American Meadows is a terrible company, with poor service and abysmal customer service.

I ordered plants from American Meadows and have received only empty promises. My order was supposed to ship the week of 4/11. On Friday of that week I emailed them to ask why I hadn\'t received a shipping notice. I was assured it would ship that very day and I would receive an email advising me of that. Nothing. On 4/18 I called and waited for almost an hour to get through to customer service and was given a story about cold weather preventing them from shipping. And I was again assured my order would go out that very day and I would receive an email with shipping details. Nothing.

I had no choice but to demand a refund because I have no faith in this company (fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me!). I will order plants from somewhere else, which I should have done in the first place.
On April 19th, 2016, mike6710301 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

American Meadows took care of the problem. I am giving them a Neutral because their selection is very good and their prices are quite reasonable. They offer plants that you won't easily find at other sellers.
Company representative comment on April 19, 2016:
On Apr 19, 2016 9:18 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear mike6710301,

I'm very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I took a look at your order and contact history and see that we did not meet our usual standards for shipping promptness. This week and last are two of our biggest shipping weeks of the year and your orders took longer than promised to pack and ship. I see that you have been in communication with us via email to resolve this issue. I am also sorry that you had to hold on the phone longer than acceptable. Again, no excuses other than the fact that we are a small organization at the apex of our spring mayhem. As you can see from our numerous other reviews, we take great pride in our customer service and our dedicated team goes above and beyond to please. Sometimes, despite the best intentions, we slip. I'm sorry that we let you down.

Best Wishes and Happy Spring,
Ethan Platt | President

Positive vireyda54
April 18, 2016
I have placed two orders now with this company. The first order included begonias which were shipped a couple of months in advance of the live plants. They were mailed with instructions and are doing very well. I ordered two varieties, and only one initially shipped, and the company was easy to contact and immediately shipped out the others without additional charge.

The live plants arrived recently and came excellently packaged. All plants arrived safe and very healthy. I was very pleased with my orders, and due to their customer service, quality plants, and packaging will certainly order from them again. Because of an emergency out of state I had to reschedule delivery and it took less than 3 minutes start to finish contacting and getting things in order with the company.
Positive cindala517
Lakeland, GA
April 8, 2016
From ordering process, to shipment arrival, I was very pleased and impressed by the care taken in the packaging of plants I purchased trough American Meadows. Normally, I do not do internet reviews, but this was the best I have ever seen. American Meadows obviously takes pride in the care and packaging of their products. Recently, moved to this zone and had no clue who to start my garden with. I decided to do an order from three nurseries, and American Meadows blew them all away. Great looking, healthy plants,carefully package and protected. I am proud to start the new garden in my new home with American Meadows. I will keep you posted on the plants as they grow!!!
Positive davepfw
Floyds Knobs, IN
December 14, 2015
I ordered a large amount of seed to plant this fall after the first hard frost. I over planted the seed as I was use to planting grass seed instead of flowers. I sent email to the company asking for guidance. I got good response on what I had done wrong and the notification that the weather being so warm this year that the seed was ruined. They offered to send me the right amount of the replacement seed that I need for the ground I have previously planted the seed. They asked questions on the space and the type of seed that I needed. They are a good company with very good seed. Their help desk really is a HELP DESK.
Positive dahlia20
Saint Albans, VT
December 4, 2015
I could not be more pleased with American Meadows. Their products are high quality. I have had nothing but success with their products. Customer service is second to none. They are definitely committed to making sure that their customers are happy and successful, despite any human error or wacky weather patterns. I am a customer for life. Could not be happier with American Meadows.
Positive whiterabbitrage
Seattle, WA
December 2, 2015
The customer service I received was the best of any I have experienced.
Company representative comment on December 2, 2015:
On Dec 2, 2015 4:00 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Thanks, Whiterabbitrage! We appreciate you taking the time to send the kind words. Happy Holidays.

Positive mkrause
Huntington, NY
November 20, 2015
I and very many others have enjoyed the seeds I've purchased from American Meadows, as I have spread far and wide their "Sparky Marigold" seeds to bring much joy across the country. Six years ago I started a holiday called "Spark Day" that was inspired by a little dog named Sparky who had come from a shelter in West Virginia and who had lived a rotten life of disregard. The good people at Wetzel County Animal Shelter saved him and when he came home to me, he had the good life: A home, warm bed, friends, food, comfort, vet care. He was happy. But he never made it to his one year anniversary in a home, something I had been hoping for him to have. He was a very old dog and had lived a very hard life. But he was also very appreciative. Honoring that, I decided the anniversary of his adoption should be something we celebrated rather than mourned so I decided, along with his many fans -- he had come to me with a following -- that we should celebrate "Spark Day" a day to celebrate "The Spark of Life" that abounds all around us. After all, that's how Sparky got his name: he had collapsed and the shelter director didn't think he would survive, but when he perked up the next day at the shelter, she decided to call him Sparky. We celebrate this day by doing life-affirming things. It is not a day ABOUT Sparky, but INSPIRED by him. It is not about dogs or animal rescue per se, though those pursuits are life-affirming. There are many life-affirming things that people do and so people mark it their own ways. Then at a pre-arranged time in the evening, everyone pauses and raises a glass in a toast and we metaphorically "clink" over the distance at the "Spark Moment". We have been doing this six years now. Spark Day is May 16th and 2016 will mark its 7th celebration.

As the founder of Spark Day, I searched for something special to help unify all of us in this holiday and mark the occasion with beauty in some life-affirming way. As I was shopping for spring plants that first year at American Meadows, I came upon "Sparky Marigold" seeds. I could not believe it! I bought a bunch and then bought little envelopes and made them up with special labels for Spark Day and sent them out to the people celebrating. Everyone enjoyed them and months later people would send me the pictures of their Sparky Flowers! I mixed Sparky Marigolds with some wildflower blends they had that included perennials as well as annuals, thus the mix included seeds that burned brightly but briefly like Sparky and some that would return, like Sparky's message of behaving in a life-affirming way.

Spark Day has grown over these years and in 2015 people in 17 states celebrated on May 16th, each person receiving a seed packet of Sparky Marigolds mixed with a variety of seeds from the different pollinator blends American Meadows sells to support those creatures who help support the life that's out there. Each year I made up a Spark Day card and send it out to those on my list, but more people receive Sparky Seeds than just those to whom I send them, as the shelter, Wetzel County Animal Shelter in New Martinsville, WV , also sends them out as thank you gifts to those who participate in their annual Spark Day Fundraiser to help old dogs like Sparky. I make out a supply of packets for them to use and they share them. I also have sent a supply of seeds to a pre-kindergarten teacher I know who did a whole Spark Day unit with the four year olds in her class. Those little kids took great care to grow personal Sparky Pots for their mothers to receive on Mother's Day as well as tending to a Sparky Garden they planted at their school and they took extra seeds home to plant, some families deciding to plant them in community gardens to share with still more people. This year I made up 573 Sparky Seed packets. I mailed out 243 packets to all those different states and then took 330 into work with me on Spark Day Eve.

I am a high school teacher and over the years have used this holiday to teach beyond the standard literary curriculum to encourage community involvement and to help them see avenues to apply the lessons literature teaches. Over these past six years, both students and staff have come to anticipate Spark Day, sometimes asking me well in advance for the seeds. They have brought comfort to many going through tough times (e.g. cancer, loss of a loved one, personal stress, etc.) and have brightened the days of so many for months to come. People I do not even know by name stop me in the halls to show me pictures of their Sparky Flowers on their cell phones. It's wonderful! I went into work on Spark Day Eve with 330 seed packets; before the next week was over, I had no more left. I gave them to people at work, at the pet stores where I shop, at the banks I use, at the restaurant where I celebrated Spark Day with many friends. All of these people are planting these seeds and months later they send in pictures to post on the shelter's Facebook page for all to see. There is a SmileBox there that showcases many of this year's batch.

I hope American Meadows will never stop selling the Sparky Marigold blend. They are wonderful and light up the days of so many -- my blooms are still going strong now at the end of November!

Sincerely,
Michele Krause
Company representative comment on November 23, 2015:
On Nov 23, 2015 8:58 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Michele - thank you for sharing the story of Spark Day. All of us at American Meadows love knowing we are a part of such a worthy cause. It seems as though Spark Day has grown enough that it's time to come up with a custom seed packet for the event. We will be in touch!

Positive englishkay
Mastic, NY,
United States
October 12, 2015
I needed to purchase 50 flower seed packets to give as favors to the guests of a Victorian Tea I was hosting. I called a few local stores and was told that this was not the season to buy seed packets. I went online and found American Meadows. I spoke with a lovely woman and I was able to order 50 wildflower seed packets right away. There was no shipping; I placed the order on a Thursday and received it on that Saturday! I was surprised at how quickly I received them and the woman I dealt with was so nice. I will definitely order from American Meadows again. Thank you, Kayann Donaldson
Company representative comment on October 12, 2015:
On Oct 12, 2015 8:46 AM, American Meadows responded with:

You're welcome, Kayann! We specialize in packets for all manner of events and promos and know that speed is often of the essence! Hope your event was perfect!

Positive OldeTurtle
Greensburg, PA
October 9, 2015
I have ordered many plants, seeds and bulbs from American Meadows. Every experience and product has been superb. The staff is friendly and responds quickly to any question I have. This has always been and will be my first choice when I need anything for the gardens.
Company representative comment on October 9, 2015:
On Oct 9, 2015 11:07 AM, American Meadows responded with:

OldeTurltle - Thank you for your loyal business and the kind words. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. Happy Gardening!

Positive Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD (Zone 7a)
September 24, 2015
American meadows is a top notch source for seeds and bulbs.They have very reasonable prices.I order frequently from them.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]