Our 19th Annual Photo Contest is now open for entries. You can submit your best images HERE

The scoop on 'Hummingbird Farm'

Hummingbird Farm

Hummingbird Farm has 99 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Hummingbird Farm is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

202 Bean St.
Turner, Maine 04282 (United States)

Phone: 207-224-8220

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Dotindyea13
Skagway, AK
June 10, 2019
Hummingbird farms sent well-wrapped clematis’s,still moist and great root systems. Will be ordering from them again!
Positive Dbtpgh
Pittsburgh,
United States
June 7, 2019
The plants arrived quickly and in great condition. They look very healthy and are growing well. Happy with the purchase. Would highly recommend!
Positive dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT (Zone 5a)
May 28, 2019
Received two clematis from Hummingbird Farms this week. Awesome plants. Large roots systems, great packaging (maybe thy should try a little less tape!) beautiful foliage. Hands down in the running for the best plants I have gotten by mail this year.
Positive contraire
Greenbush, MN
May 27, 2019
Posted on June 13, 2018, updated May 27, 2019
Extremely pleased with the plants and service. She couldn\'t have been nicer and the plants arrived from halfway across the country in beautiful condition. Big, beautiful plants and helpful advice, I am very happy with this company.
On May 27th, 2019, contraire added the following:

Wonderful company, ordered two more plants this year and they arrived in amazing condition. Large plants with lots of vigor. The four from last year made it through a brutal winter here. We are zone 3a and after many months of cold, down to -40, the plants couldn't wait to come up this spring. Can't say enough about this company.
Positive cgd
Morrisville, PA
May 21, 2019
This company cannot be improved upon and with high quality perfect careful packaging. Plants arrived still moist with masses of vigorous healthy growth. and spectacular long roots. The planting information included could not be clearer. If only other mail order nurseries could be half as conscientious. Couldn't be happier.
Positive 2017ginger
Shaftsbury, VT
May 19, 2019
Hummingbird Farm has a very informative and easy website to order from. With a wide variety of Clematis, they are all categorized, making it easy to know which plant is suitable for you and your region. I was very pleased to receive my package hassel free within two days, (nothing like 'White Flower Farm' and 'The Tree Center' weeks...). My two Clematis were well packed and healthy. They also came with planting instructions. I plan to purchase from here in the future. Christine
Positive Jaredc
Portsmouth, NH
May 10, 2019
Posted on May 12, 2018, updated May 10, 2019
I recently ordered four types of clematis from hummingbird farm, i was very impressed with the variety of clematis there are to choose from. Cindy was very helpful when it came to answering all of my questions ( and there were several). My plants came quickly at the appropriate time and are very healthy, im very pleased and looking forward to see how they grow in my garden.
On May 10th, 2019, Jaredc added the following:

Hummingbird farm has done it again i just received two more clematis that i ordered for this spring and they are both in excellent condition as well as the ones i picked up at the garden show in Portland Maine this year. You cant go wrong with this company.
Positive MMcapecod
Marstons Mills, MA
May 9, 2019
Very Pleased! Just ordered 1 Clematis plant - Victoria . It arrived in great shape and is doing very nicely in my garden now.
Positive PlantTillPlantd
Mount Pleasant, PA
May 9, 2019
I ordered a total of 27 clematis from 4 mail order companies this spring and my favorite company was this one! I only ordered 5 plants from them, but when I opened the boxes, I wished I had ordered more! Next spring I'm going buck wild when it's time to order from them again! Thanks for the awesome plants!
Positive windflower47
Gilberts, IL
May 8, 2019
For several years I have searched for clematis heracleifolia, finally found it offered at Hummingbird Farm. The price was reasonable so I ordered two. The plants arrived promptly and are among the best-packaged plants I have ever received. There was no damage at all, and they look very healthy. Thank you. Now I wish I had space for more clematis!
Positive ske18
May 7, 2019
Posted on October 21, 2018, updated May 7, 2019
Hummingbird Farm is a pleasure to work with. Their clematis plants are consistently healthy and strong on arrival and grow beautifully. The information on their website is informative and fun to read. Because Hummingbird Farm\'s approach is experience-based, rather than just marketing-based, you feel as if you are learning about Clematis as well as shopping for Clematis. Best of all, Cindy Tibbetts is incredibly patient and generous with her time and knowledge. Since Clematis plants are a long-term investment for most gardeners, it\'s reassuring to work with a company that honors your commitment with their own commitment to your success. Thank you !
On May 7th, 2019, ske18 added the following:

Hummingbird Farm Spring 2019. Once again, they've exceeded expectations. Just when I was losing my mind over voles, I received an article about voles from Hummingbird Farm with hints and encouragement. This year's order, as in previous years, arrived in great condition and beautifully packed. Thank you !
Positive floria
Athens, GA (Zone 8a)
May 6, 2019
First time ordering, 6 plants. Very pleasant experience. The plants looked great upon arrival and have grown sturdily ever since. One plant's stem was broken in transit (Candida). Cindy insisted that I let her know about its progress or lack thereof. I followed Cindy's advice and the plant has not missed a beat. It has already pushed 3 stems from the ground and is growing on a par with the others.

I am looking forward to ordering more from Hummingbird Farm.
Positive smewr
Bethlehem, PA
July 13, 2018
Just received two "Rebecca" clematis from Hummingbird Farm. Well packed, nice size plants, with lots of healthy roots. Excellent instructions included, and their website is great also, and Cindy is a crack-up. (that's good) : )
Positive GraniteGardener
Gorham, NH
July 1, 2018
The website was well organized, easy to navigate and full of very helpful information on all of the many different varieties of clematis they grow. My order came beautifully/safely packaged (w/ paper not plastic peanuts - thank you) and the clematis was in perfect shape - healthy roots, in good soil w/ health, multi-stemmed vine. Following Cindy's great planting instructions - I'm sure this clematis will thrive. I'll definitely be recommending Hummingbird Farm to anyone looking for a healthy, well grown clematis. Thank you Cindy.
Positive rachelrapunzel
Rugby, ND
June 28, 2018
I was so pleased with everything about ordering from Hummingbird Farm! I purchased 4 clematis from them. 'Madame Edouard Andre', 'Ernest Markham', 'Madame Baron-Veillard' and 'Jackmanii Rubra'. I was extremely happy with the plants they shipped me. Packaged well. Full planting / care instructions included. I had a feeling when I opened everything up that I can only describe as I had been sent some very special plants from an old friend. I was over the moon about the root systems! Healthy strong roots but not a single strand was root-bound. They were perfect! I even loved the soil they came in. I also liked how the plant markers were taped securely. No chance of them getting jumbled in shipping. All around great experience.
Positive JB99
Glen Head, NY
June 12, 2018
I bought clematis a couple of times. They always arrived nicely packed and the plants were always big, very healthy looking and beautiful! I really don't want to buy clematis from anywhere else any more. It's also easy to contact them, I always get a prompt response. Wonderful experiences!
Positive evansb
Buffalo, NY
May 15, 2018
Posted on September 10, 2014, updated May 15, 2018
Sent quality plants: healthy and carefully packed along with fast shipping. Will order again from them.
On May 15th, 2018, evansb added the following:

Always ready with personal help, advice and support. Every plant ordered from them over a number of years has grown healthily and happily.
Positive enchantedrose
Charlton, MA
May 14, 2018
I ordered two Clematis Perle D'Azur. They were healthy, large and well packaged. Communication is great and Cindy always answers any questions in a timely manner.
Positive Dinah1
Owensboro, KY
May 11, 2018
I received my first clematis order from Hummingbird Farm today and the plants were gorgeous. Carefully packed, still moist and a very generous size with healthy root systems. I will definitely order from them again. Prompt shipping too!
Positive sjamy
Wamego, KS
May 2, 2018
I've ordered my clematis for years from this nursery. The plants always come well packed, they are healthy and do well in the garden. Hummingbird Farm is my "go to" for clematis. You won't go wrong with this nursery.
Positive Heron25
Princeton, NJ
April 30, 2018
Ordered 4 clematis. Communication was excellent, packages were shipped when promised and plants were in GREAT shape once they arrived. In the ground, watered and already growing. Will order from again.
Positive cab223
Bay Village, OH
October 5, 2017
The clematis that I wanted was "sold out", but there is a "TOP SECRET" message on the website that there might be a couple left. I called and spoke with Cindy (the owner), who had 2 available! I ordered both, and they arrived promptly, very well packaged, and with instructions for planting. Both are thriving. The service was exceptional, the plants healthy, and this customer is thrilled!
Positive maperist
Tracys Landing, MD
September 17, 2017
I ordered 2 Clematis and they arrived very quickly. These were the best looking plants I have ever purchased. There are 2 local nurseries who are also growers. Their plants are not as good as these. The packaging was superb and the plants were quite healthy. I was especially impressed with the root balls. They seemed quite natural - not highly compacted like most plants from nurseries. The instructions were very clear. One very tiny complaint - the plant tag for one of them was brittle and broke. The other was fine.
Positive MacMatt
Mattituck,
United States
July 13, 2017
The 6 plants arrived very quickly in excellent condition. They look healthy, with nice green leaves and a large root system. They are barely wilted! The packaging is great. Plastic wrapped root with soil, a 'tent' of cardboard protecting the tops.
I ordered 4 plants from another company two years ago that were smaller, bare root with no soil and arrived 'dormant', looking barely alive. Granted, I got them in the fall. It took 2 years for them to get going.
The difference between the plants from these two companies is huge. I would definitely order from Hummingbird Farm again if looking for clematis. The variety of plants available from Hummingbird is excellent. I was looking for 'Group 3', the later blooming plants that are 'hard prune.' Lots to choose from, even at this late date.
Positive Donna71
Pittstown, NJ
June 26, 2017
My 3 clematis came quickly, well packaged and having very healthy green stems and leaves. The most impressive was the
beautiful root system that each plant had. Thank you so much.
Donna
Positive Contutti
York, ME
May 29, 2017
Cindy's web site is a delight- full of useful clematis care information and helpful descriptions of all the clematis she grows. I ordered and received in excellent condition this spring two clematis. They both have settled well in my garden. My friend and I live close enough to visit Cindy's greenhouses in Turner, Maine and had a delightful time. Not only did we choose some clematis, but also found some hard to find and never seen by us her well grown " Vancouver Centennial" stellar geraniums( among others), lovely "blue Angel" salvia, unusual sedums ( one blue- grey one that looks like a bridal bouquet with it's tiny florets suspended on stems above the plant). All that I brought home were well rooted but not in the least over rooted.Cindy and her 2 dogs and 2 cats were very welcoming. This was such a fun place to visit- but be sure to check her hours before going.
Positive jeff_lange
East Setauket, NY
May 5, 2017
Communication with Hummingbird Farm was excellent. I received email letting me know when the plants would arrive and with tracking numbers. The plants arrived on time, and in excellent condition. The root balls on the plants were of good size, top growth showed no sign of damage or disease. I purchased 5 Clematis from Hummingbird Farm and highly recommend them.
Positive Lineybear
Hanover, PA
May 4, 2017
I ordered two clematis which arrived on the day they were supposed to arrive. The plants are healthy with an extensive root system. I followed the very precise planting directions which are online and also packaged with the plants. Now, I will anxiously watch and wait. This was a great online ordering experience!
Positive Palmela
Hampden, ME
September 22, 2016
I received my clematis order today. The plants were in beautiful condition. I already have three thriving clematis that I have bought from Hummingbird Farm in previous years. Their handling of orders is outstanding and their web site is extremely helpful.
Positive JenVT
Saxtons River, VT
May 7, 2016
Before I placed my order, Cindy answered questions promptly and helpfully. She was accommodating about rescheduling my shipment because of some travel plans, and she shipped them to arrive exactly when I needed them. I ordered three French sorrel plants, and they arrived carefully packaged and looking quite happy and perky. They were nice-sized plants with plenty of shoots and should do very well in the garden. I would definitely order from Hummingbird Farm again.
Positive bottlegreen
Saint Paul, MN
May 7, 2016
Posted on May 6, 2016, updated May 7, 2016
Last fall, I ordered 2 \'Arabella\' clematis (since I could get two sent for the same rather high shipping price). I was assured that early September wasn\'t too late to plant. They did arrive well packed, but only one of them survived the winter, although they were planted in the same general area and I followed directions to a T. That one has come back nicely, but what with ordering two and paying for shipping, it\'s an almost $50 plant! Disappointing.
On May 7th, 2016, bottlegreen changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Clearly I should have expressed my disappointment directly to Hummingbird Farm before leaving a review. The morning after it was published, I received a very nice email offering a replacement or a refund, so I've learned a lesson and it looks as tho I'll have a pair of lovely Arabellas after all. Thank you, H. F.
Company representative comment on May 7, 2016:
On May 7, 2016 5:59 AM, Hummingbird Farm responded with:

Wow! This is the first I've heard of this plant loss and I'm ever so sorry bottlegreen is unhappy. I'm really disappointed bottlegreen didn't feel comfortable contacting me about this issue directly. Customer satisfaction is very, very important to me and I do my best to fix problems quickly!

I have contacted the customer by email and D-message and have offered either a replacement plant or a refund and hope to resolve this problem soon.

Cindy Tibbetts
Hummingbird Farm

Positive GardenRanger
Lynchburg, VA
May 6, 2016
Ordered and received 3 well packaged plants from this vendor. Great variety, one plant I've been searching for over the past two years. Plants are a healthy, well grown size. No damage in transit. Cindy was most accommodating in that I needed them quickly following my order. An unexpected business trip arose. I was able to plant before an involved two weeks away. Appreciate a vendor who is responsive. We shall be ordering from her again. Her horticultural advice is on point regarding best practice with clematis. Solid experience with this vendor.
Positive ryanjkjke
Wayne, PA
May 3, 2016
Just received my shipment from Hummingbird Farms. Fantastic plants! The Climatis (4 different varieties) were in great shape. Great plants. Great root system. Many stems. Very well packed and labeled. Plus emails confirming shipping date and #'s. Cindy is Great help plus a super person. This is the third time I have ordered from them.
Positive cliffo8
Twin Falls, ID
August 16, 2015
The clematis plants I received were obviously handled with true, loving care before shipment. They are beautiful and I love to watch them grow.
I doubt you will find a company as genuinely concerned about their product and as NICE in their interaction as this one. Ms. Tibbetts will do whatever she can to make the customer happy--even if an error is made on the customer's end (as happened to me). I absolutely love this company and their service. Please purchase your clematis from Cindy; you won't be disappointed!!! I live in southern Idaho.
Positive nmackanic
Livermore, CA
July 19, 2015
Plants arrived very quickly, everything was in perfect condition. The plants were healthy with a great root system.
Positive graphexgurl
Princeton, NJ
June 26, 2015
I was on a quest to find the perfect plant for my deck which has barely any sunshine. Wanting flowers, I happened on Hummingbird Farms website, and emailed Cindy with lots of questions. She was so helpful and helped me pick the perfect match for me. Not only are the blooms beautiful, but it's super hardy for my zone. Elsa Spath Clematis make my deck look elegant, my little oasis! Thank YOU Cindy & the Hummingbird Farm!

Tray
Positive ksneal
Pittsburgh, PA
June 12, 2015
My four clematis arrived in very good shape with a great root system. The plants took right off.
Positive onegoodman1955
Normal, IL
May 23, 2015
Planted my very first clematis order from Hummingbird. Received 4 clematis, definitely one of the best packaged, labeled, and priced for quality clematis. Both the size of the roots and the volume of green leafage surpassed my other internet/mail orders. I ordered 4 of the Kivistik assuming the Arctic Circle is colder than Central Illinois, so hope that they do well on the north side of the house.
Positive remster
Liberty Lake, WA
May 22, 2015
I ordered 2 clematis exactly one year ago, in May 2014. Before ordering I had specific questions about certain varieties - the staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. The plants arrived promptly, very well packed, with clear planting instructions. Last fall both clematis were happy enough to bloom before sleeping for the winter. Now, one year after planting, both clematis put up lots of new shoots from the roots, are vigorously climbing their trellises, and have plenty of buds. Hummingbird Farms clearly offers great plants with healthy roots!
Positive rosada
Cedar Falls, IA (Zone 4b)
May 9, 2015
Posted on September 27, 2014, updated May 9, 2015
Posted on October 26, 2013, updated September 27, 2014
Love these Clematis, arrived fast, well packaged .... great communication too!
On September 27th, 2014, rosada added the following:

Just received 2 lovely Arabella Clematis, great root system and already growing well .... very happy!
On May 9th, 2015, rosada added the following:

Recent shipment, arrived on time and well packaged, good root system .... I'm happy!

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]