The scoop on 'Hummingbird Farm'

Hummingbird Farm

Hummingbird Farm has 83 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Hummingbird Farm is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

202 Bean St.
Turner, Maine 04282 (United States)

Phone: 207-224-8220

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Jake246
Iowa City, IA
April 1, 2021
I live in zone 5 and have about 30 different clematis. The plants I have received from this company have been of fair size and very healthy. What I absolute love about Hummingbird Farms is the amount of quality information they give. Examples are: types of clematis/pruning/ what plants grow best in certain areas/ how long particular clematis bloom/ what plants do well in partial shade/sun and much more. This is my go to site for information on clematis and their clematis always grow nicely in my 5b zone.
Positive gdionelli
Huntington, WV (Zone 6a)
September 22, 2020
Great communication. Plants arrived in wonderful condition, despite the postal service bashing the box up so much that the mailman recorded it as "damaged" upon arrival, just in case I needed to make a claim. The planting directions were excellent, and I think the clematis have an excellent chance of surviving, despite my so-so track record with clematis. Looking forward to next summer!
Positive genghiskuhn
Binghamton, NY
September 5, 2020
Clear communication, A+ packaging and instructions, and plants arrived very healthy. Really substantial clematises! Got them in the ground and can't wait to see how they do next spring.
Positive Equestrian22
Utica, MI
July 23, 2020
As an avid gardener and a person that has spend 21 years working in a retail garden center, I know exactly what I am looking for and what qualifies as an exceptional plant. I made a point not to comment or rate hummingbird Farm until I seen how the vine performed after a period of time once it was in the ground. I have never ordered a clematis from an online source so I was very cautious.... I am glad I picked Hummingbird farm! The plant came in slightly small ( very well packaged with instructions.) which is what I was expecting for shipping purposes, but I noticed the first segment of the vine had been what appeared to be pinched back several times and had formed a nice, relatively thicker segment. The two vines sat for a couple of weeks then exploded with new growth! Three to four new shoots started climbing the trellis and one has already set a bud! Would DEFINITELY recommend to others and I know I will be ordering again from them.
Positive thesouthnc
Wilmington, NC
July 19, 2020
My wife and i are very happy with Hummingbird Farm. The company has been very helpful and courteous with the entire purchase process. Plants arrived in great condition and are doing great. We will continue to do business with these nice folks and recommend them to anyone interested in growing these wonderful plants.

Travis & Susan
Positive scriswell
Goodland, KS
July 14, 2020
The Best Clematis Plants i have ever ordered! I could not believe the roots! planted the morning after I received, it ended up being 100 deg, couldn't believe they didn't even act like they new they had been transplanted. I did follow the planting directions, all seems to be going well!
I will defiantly be ordering from Hummingbird Farm again & would highly recommend them to anyone looking for quality Clematis!!!
Positive PlezGro
Minneapolis, MN
June 26, 2020
I received a beautifully packaged plant with the most thorough instructions for planting it with success. It is thriving in its new home. They clearly care about their plants and customers!!
Positive ske18
Wenham, MA
June 19, 2020
Posted on May 7, 2019, updated June 19, 2020
Posted on October 21, 2018, updated May 7, 2019
Hummingbird Farm is a pleasure to work with. Their clematis plants are consistently healthy and strong on arrival and grow beautifully. The information on their website is informative and fun to read. Because Hummingbird Farm's approach is experience-based, rather than just marketing-based, you feel as if you are learning about Clematis as well as shopping for Clematis. Best of all, Cindy Tibbetts is incredibly patient and generous with her time and knowledge. Since Clematis plants are a long-term investment for most gardeners, it's reassuring to work with a company that honors your commitment with their own commitment to your success. Thank you !
On May 7th, 2019, ske18 added the following:

Hummingbird Farm Spring 2019. Once again, they've exceeded expectations. Just when I was losing my mind over voles, I received an article about voles from Hummingbird Farm with hints and encouragement. This year's order, as in previous years, arrived in great condition and beautifully packed. Thank you !
On June 19th, 2020, ske18 added the following:

Hummingbird Farm 2020 exceeded my expectations - again! In this difficult time for all, my clematis order arrived on time, in perfect condition and ready to grow. Cindy even had time to respond to a question or two with her usual blend of knowledge, grace and humor. The quality of Hummingbird Farm's plants, advice and website is evident every time I look at my Clematis that have all thrived despite my steep learning curve. Thank you Hummingbird Farm!
Positive Bourret
West Newfield, ME
June 13, 2020
Received within three days of my order. Very healthy, beautiful roots and beautiful foliage. Thank you so very much for introducing me to the Clematis World!
Positive Jcarlqui
Springville, UT
May 31, 2020
I've had a hard time getting Clematis established in the past, but Cindy provided excellent directions, a beautiful healthy plant, and was quick to respond when I emailed with questions. I will definitely be ordering from Hummingbird Farms again.
Positive sandhillsNE
Sutherland, NE
May 25, 2020
My first experience mail ordering plants. Very pleased with the clematis that I received. Very healthy with nice roots. They were shipped on the 18th and arrived on the 21st in tip top shape. Cindy was very helpful in accommodating a change I wanted to make after placing my order. Good planting instructions included. Thank you Hummingbird Farm.
Positive bozemangardener
Bozeman, MT
May 15, 2020
I ordered 4 clematis on May 5, received them quickly even in these troubled times, and am delighted with this company's service in every way. Their web site is easy to use and informative. The plants arrived in excellent health and were packed in paper bags rather than plastic pots. I hadn't seen this eco-friendly method of shipping for non-woody plants before. I contacted Cindy Tibbetts with a query about future plant availability and received a speedy and charming response.
Positive Dotindyea13
Skagway, AK
June 10, 2019
Hummingbird farms sent well-wrapped clematis’s,still moist and great root systems. Will be ordering from them again!
Positive Dbtpgh
Pittsburgh,
United States
June 7, 2019
The plants arrived quickly and in great condition. They look very healthy and are growing well. Happy with the purchase. Would highly recommend!
Positive dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT (Zone 5a)
May 28, 2019
Received two clematis from Hummingbird Farms this week. Awesome plants. Large roots systems, great packaging (maybe thy should try a little less tape!) beautiful foliage. Hands down in the running for the best plants I have gotten by mail this year.
Positive contraire
Greenbush, MN
May 27, 2019
Posted on June 13, 2018, updated May 27, 2019
Extremely pleased with the plants and service. She couldn't have been nicer and the plants arrived from halfway across the country in beautiful condition. Big, beautiful plants and helpful advice, I am very happy with this company.
On May 27th, 2019, contraire added the following:

Wonderful company, ordered two more plants this year and they arrived in amazing condition. Large plants with lots of vigor. The four from last year made it through a brutal winter here. We are zone 3a and after many months of cold, down to -40, the plants couldn't wait to come up this spring. Can't say enough about this company.
Positive cgd
Morrisville, PA
May 21, 2019
This company cannot be improved upon and with high quality perfect careful packaging. Plants arrived still moist with masses of vigorous healthy growth. and spectacular long roots. The planting information included could not be clearer. If only other mail order nurseries could be half as conscientious. Couldn't be happier.
Positive 2017ginger
Shaftsbury, VT
May 19, 2019
Hummingbird Farm has a very informative and easy website to order from. With a wide variety of Clematis, they are all categorized, making it easy to know which plant is suitable for you and your region. I was very pleased to receive my package hassel free within two days, (nothing like 'White Flower Farm' and 'The Tree Center' weeks...). My two Clematis were well packed and healthy. They also came with planting instructions. I plan to purchase from here in the future. Christine
Positive Jaredc
Portsmouth, NH
May 10, 2019
Posted on May 12, 2018, updated May 10, 2019
I recently ordered four types of clematis from hummingbird farm, i was very impressed with the variety of clematis there are to choose from. Cindy was very helpful when it came to answering all of my questions ( and there were several). My plants came quickly at the appropriate time and are very healthy, im very pleased and looking forward to see how they grow in my garden.
On May 10th, 2019, Jaredc added the following:

Hummingbird farm has done it again i just received two more clematis that i ordered for this spring and they are both in excellent condition as well as the ones i picked up at the garden show in Portland Maine this year. You cant go wrong with this company.
Positive MMcapecod
Marstons Mills, MA
May 9, 2019
Very Pleased! Just ordered 1 Clematis plant - Victoria . It arrived in great shape and is doing very nicely in my garden now.
Positive PlantTillPlantd
Mount Pleasant, PA
May 9, 2019
I ordered a total of 27 clematis from 4 mail order companies this spring and my favorite company was this one! I only ordered 5 plants from them, but when I opened the boxes, I wished I had ordered more! Next spring I'm going buck wild when it's time to order from them again! Thanks for the awesome plants!
Positive windflower47
Gilberts, IL
May 8, 2019
For several years I have searched for clematis heracleifolia, finally found it offered at Hummingbird Farm. The price was reasonable so I ordered two. The plants arrived promptly and are among the best-packaged plants I have ever received. There was no damage at all, and they look very healthy. Thank you. Now I wish I had space for more clematis!
Positive floria
Athens, GA (Zone 8a)
May 6, 2019
First time ordering, 6 plants. Very pleasant experience. The plants looked great upon arrival and have grown sturdily ever since. One plant's stem was broken in transit (Candida). Cindy insisted that I let her know about its progress or lack thereof. I followed Cindy's advice and the plant has not missed a beat. It has already pushed 3 stems from the ground and is growing on a par with the others.

I am looking forward to ordering more from Hummingbird Farm.
Positive smewr
Bethlehem, PA
July 13, 2018
Just received two "Rebecca" clematis from Hummingbird Farm. Well packed, nice size plants, with lots of healthy roots. Excellent instructions included, and their website is great also, and Cindy is a crack-up. (that's good) : )
Positive GraniteGardener
Gorham, NH
July 1, 2018
The website was well organized, easy to navigate and full of very helpful information on all of the many different varieties of clematis they grow. My order came beautifully/safely packaged (w/ paper not plastic peanuts - thank you) and the clematis was in perfect shape - healthy roots, in good soil w/ health, multi-stemmed vine. Following Cindy's great planting instructions - I'm sure this clematis will thrive. I'll definitely be recommending Hummingbird Farm to anyone looking for a healthy, well grown clematis. Thank you Cindy.
Positive rachelrapunzel
Rugby, ND
June 28, 2018
I was so pleased with everything about ordering from Hummingbird Farm! I purchased 4 clematis from them. 'Madame Edouard Andre', 'Ernest Markham', 'Madame Baron-Veillard' and 'Jackmanii Rubra'. I was extremely happy with the plants they shipped me. Packaged well. Full planting / care instructions included. I had a feeling when I opened everything up that I can only describe as I had been sent some very special plants from an old friend. I was over the moon about the root systems! Healthy strong roots but not a single strand was root-bound. They were perfect! I even loved the soil they came in. I also liked how the plant markers were taped securely. No chance of them getting jumbled in shipping. All around great experience.
Positive JB99
Glen Head, NY
June 12, 2018
I bought clematis a couple of times. They always arrived nicely packed and the plants were always big, very healthy looking and beautiful! I really don't want to buy clematis from anywhere else any more. It's also easy to contact them, I always get a prompt response. Wonderful experiences!
Positive evansb
Buffalo, NY
May 15, 2018
Posted on September 10, 2014, updated May 15, 2018
Sent quality plants: healthy and carefully packed along with fast shipping. Will order again from them.
On May 15th, 2018, evansb added the following:

Always ready with personal help, advice and support. Every plant ordered from them over a number of years has grown healthily and happily.
Positive enchantedrose
Charlton, MA
May 14, 2018
I ordered two Clematis Perle D'Azur. They were healthy, large and well packaged. Communication is great and Cindy always answers any questions in a timely manner.
Positive Dinah1
Owensboro, KY
May 11, 2018
I received my first clematis order from Hummingbird Farm today and the plants were gorgeous. Carefully packed, still moist and a very generous size with healthy root systems. I will definitely order from them again. Prompt shipping too!
Positive sjamy
Wamego, KS
May 2, 2018
I've ordered my clematis for years from this nursery. The plants always come well packed, they are healthy and do well in the garden. Hummingbird Farm is my "go to" for clematis. You won't go wrong with this nursery.
Positive Heron25
Princeton, NJ
April 30, 2018
Ordered 4 clematis. Communication was excellent, packages were shipped when promised and plants were in GREAT shape once they arrived. In the ground, watered and already growing. Will order from again.
Positive cab223
Bay Village, OH
October 5, 2017
The clematis that I wanted was "sold out", but there is a "TOP SECRET" message on the website that there might be a couple left. I called and spoke with Cindy (the owner), who had 2 available! I ordered both, and they arrived promptly, very well packaged, and with instructions for planting. Both are thriving. The service was exceptional, the plants healthy, and this customer is thrilled!
Positive maperist
Tracys Landing, MD
September 17, 2017
I ordered 2 Clematis and they arrived very quickly. These were the best looking plants I have ever purchased. There are 2 local nurseries who are also growers. Their plants are not as good as these. The packaging was superb and the plants were quite healthy. I was especially impressed with the root balls. They seemed quite natural - not highly compacted like most plants from nurseries. The instructions were very clear. One very tiny complaint - the plant tag for one of them was brittle and broke. The other was fine.
Positive MacMatt
Mattituck,
United States
July 13, 2017
The 6 plants arrived very quickly in excellent condition. They look healthy, with nice green leaves and a large root system. They are barely wilted! The packaging is great. Plastic wrapped root with soil, a 'tent' of cardboard protecting the tops.
I ordered 4 plants from another company two years ago that were smaller, bare root with no soil and arrived 'dormant', looking barely alive. Granted, I got them in the fall. It took 2 years for them to get going.
The difference between the plants from these two companies is huge. I would definitely order from Hummingbird Farm again if looking for clematis. The variety of plants available from Hummingbird is excellent. I was looking for 'Group 3', the later blooming plants that are 'hard prune.' Lots to choose from, even at this late date.
Positive Donna71
Pittstown, NJ
June 26, 2017
My 3 clematis came quickly, well packaged and having very healthy green stems and leaves. The most impressive was the
beautiful root system that each plant had. Thank you so much.
Donna
Positive Contutti
York, ME
May 29, 2017
Cindy's web site is a delight- full of useful clematis care information and helpful descriptions of all the clematis she grows. I ordered and received in excellent condition this spring two clematis. They both have settled well in my garden. My friend and I live close enough to visit Cindy's greenhouses in Turner, Maine and had a delightful time. Not only did we choose some clematis, but also found some hard to find and never seen by us her well grown " Vancouver Centennial" stellar geraniums( among others), lovely "blue Angel" salvia, unusual sedums ( one blue- grey one that looks like a bridal bouquet with it's tiny florets suspended on stems above the plant). All that I brought home were well rooted but not in the least over rooted.Cindy and her 2 dogs and 2 cats were very welcoming. This was such a fun place to visit- but be sure to check her hours before going.
Positive jeff_lange
East Setauket, NY
May 5, 2017
Communication with Hummingbird Farm was excellent. I received email letting me know when the plants would arrive and with tracking numbers. The plants arrived on time, and in excellent condition. The root balls on the plants were of good size, top growth showed no sign of damage or disease. I purchased 5 Clematis from Hummingbird Farm and highly recommend them.
Positive Lineybear
Hanover, PA
May 4, 2017
I ordered two clematis which arrived on the day they were supposed to arrive. The plants are healthy with an extensive root system. I followed the very precise planting directions which are online and also packaged with the plants. Now, I will anxiously watch and wait. This was a great online ordering experience!
Positive Palmela
Hampden, ME
September 22, 2016
I received my clematis order today. The plants were in beautiful condition. I already have three thriving clematis that I have bought from Hummingbird Farm in previous years. Their handling of orders is outstanding and their web site is extremely helpful.