The scoop on 'Studley Flower Gardens'

Studley Flower Gardens

82 Wakefield St.
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867 (United States)

Phone: (800)356-4383
Fax: (603)330-3317

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on January 27, 2012:
Studley’s Flower Garden has delighted its customers with fresh flowers and garden services from its downtown Rochester, New Hampshire, location for more than 80 years. Founded in 1928, the business has grown to include a full range of floral design services, an extensive selection of annual and perennial garden plants plus landscaping and irrigation services. Today, Studley’s continues to offer personalized service and customized solutions for every flower and garden lover’s needs and interests. “The difference will delight you!”
So you receive the freshest plants possible, we ship our plants on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday only via USPS. That way our babies won’t sit in a box over the weekend. Orders placed Thursday through Sunday will ship out on the following Monday.

Comments:

Positive ArtsyDi
Thomaston, ME
October 8, 2020
After living for many years in a dark city apartment that got very little light, I was pretty discouraged about growing houseplants. The few I tried to grow all died and, not being knowledgeable about plants, I gave up and resigned myself to not living with any plants - for over two decades! Recently, I moved out of the city into an apartment with windows facing south, west, and north, which allow for a lot more light than I've ever lived with before. Thrilled with the chance to have plants in my life, yet lacking confidence about being a good plant caretaker, I picked up the book, 'The Indestructible Houseplant' by Tovah Martin to use as a guide.

There are several garden centers near me but they both focus on outdoor gardening, with very small selections of houseplants. I bought a few and started building my confidence. Soon, I wanted more, but was hoping to find some of the plants in Martin's book, and they just weren't available locally. So I turned to the internet and found Studley's.

The site is easy to use, although the Houseplants section is apparently a separate entity from the rest of their site, which means that when you create a login to order houseplants there, you have to make sure to navigate to that section to login and see your orders. I couldn't login from the Gardening side of the site. Still, it was easy to figure that out.

Their descriptions and photographs are helpfu, and they offer some "collections," which are a package of three plants of a particular kind, chosen for you. I ordered one of their Coprosma Collections and added a note to request a specific variety, if possible. They fulfilled my request. I also ordered a mini Schefflera and a Cuban Oregano (plectranthus). The shipments only go out at the beginning of the week so that plants won't sit all boxed up over the weekend, which is considerate. Mine arrived quickly and all were packaged well, though some dirt did spill out and one of them had a cracked pot. Being my very first time ordering live potted plants online, I had no idea what to expect.

The Coprosmas all looked great, and were surprisingly large for the little pots they came in. The Schefflera looked healthy, its leaves nice and shiny, with new growth on the top. Plus it was over a foot tall! It did look like it had been growing in a corner because all the leaves were just on one side of the stem, but I've been diligent about turning the plant so that they reach for the sun in the other direction, and now it is full and lush one month later. The Cuban oregano was tiny but had about three or four main stems, and all of them looked like they'd been chopped down for cuttings, with dark callouses on their tips. So that one was a little disappointing, but it seems to be thriving now, and the fragrance when I lightly brush the leaves with my fingertips is just wonderful.

I transplanted all of them into clay pots immediately upon receipt and none of them seemed "in shock" afterwards. They were all healthy and hardy plants and I'm very happy with them. For my first experience ordering plants online, I am glad I found Studley's. As my confidence grows, I will order from them again.
Positive SeymourSunshine
Marlboro,
United States
July 10, 2015
Jeffrey was very helpful in making sure I was happy with the product that was ordered; there was a small discrepancy between the pictured and delivered plant, and Jeffrey provided customer service and did not forget about me even after some time had passed and got the right plant to me at no cost, without demanding the original plant back. Overall, I am very happy with the product, service, and value. Thank you for matching me with my favorite croton "sloppy painter" plant.
Positive neophyte
September 13, 2014
I ordered 4 grape ivy plants from Studley Flower Gardens and not only were they shipped immediately using 2 day priority, but they are absolutely beautiful. They were much larger than I expected, having purchased from another vendor previously. The plants were wrapped in such a way that absolutely no damage happened and the soil was still moist. It's a long way from NH to OR. I can't say enough good things!
Positive Windchyme
Stockton, CA
June 11, 2014
A+++++++++++ infinity.

I wanted oak leaf ivy...I went through Glasshouse Works who sent me grape leaf ivy's that were TINY stems with a couple of leaves (nevermind I have those already, it's taking over my house and don't need it) not to mention i am still fighting them to get my money back.

Then I tried Hirts gardens who sold them to me then only shipped the other plant I ordered saying on the paper with the plant that they had refunded me on the oak leaf ivies, out of stock- the other plant was BIG and healthy and beautiful but way to let me know the others are out of stock- geez. That is the third time I have found them advertising and selling stock they don't actually have.

THEN I got one on ebay from a private seller and the seller said he couldn't ship to my location and refunded me.

What does it take in this world to get a simple Oak Leaf Ivy or two?? An act of congress?

Studley Flower Gardens was the last and should have been the FIRST. 2 Oak leaf ivies have arrived and I am stunned. They are 4 inchers, very healthy, & were rootbound on arrival and ready to go immediately into 6 inch pots rather than just top off the soil that had fallen out during shipping. The tops are really big and lush and perfectly fit the 6 inch pot so they don't look small, odd or like an orphan in an empty field. And they shipped in a decent time. FINALLY! I absolutely LOVE them.

This was my first purchase from Studleys, I am recommending them, and I'm fairly sure this won't be my last purchase as I am a plantaholic. Next time I'm checking Studley's FIRST. THANK YOU Studleys.
Positive nberech
Garland, TX
May 31, 2014
My plants arrived fast and were well-packaged. The plants are very healthy and I am very pleased. This is an awesome seller!!!
Positive floradora
Astoria, NY (Zone 7b)
May 2, 2014
I ordered a brown bud allamanda on 1/25/13 and although they didn't have any in stock they offered to refund the charge or wait for a cutting-available to ship in May. I agreed to the cutting offer since NYC doesn't warm up until May anyway. Long story short-the cutting arrived yesterday, was big and healthy with ample roots for the small price I paid and was packed with a lot of care. Definitely will do business with them again!
Positive normanallende
Greensboro, NC
March 26, 2014
the package came in quickly, and was packaged very well. The plant itself was healthy and it came in a nice container and healthy soil. I am very happy with this purchase .
Positive Ever_Blooming
Camden, ME
March 10, 2014
They promptly sent beautiful plants, reasonably priced and beautifully packed. They also followed up with an email to check how things arrived. I will definitely order from them again and recommend them highly.
Positive sandpoms
Holmen, WI
February 11, 2014
Ordered aloe plants. They were large and healthy and came nicely packaged. The company wrote to follow up to check that my plants arrived ok.
Positive awickerham
IJAMSVILLE, MD
February 10, 2014
I ordered a Spring cactus (which I haven't been able to find anywhere else) and couldn't have been happier with the service and the shipping. The plant was very well packaged, was in great shape when I received it and the service was excellent. I'm looking forward to visiting the next time I'm up in New Hampshire.
Positive prairieroots
Springfield, IL
January 5, 2014
Beautiful plants were carefully packed and quickly shipped. Friendly and most helpful customer service. Looking forward to future business with this wonderful company.
Positive craiger69
Bayview, CA
December 15, 2013
Excellent service. I had a few plant that were somewhat sick and damaged from the mail. I emailed Studley flower garden, and I got a reply within half a day. They emediately sent me two new plants, which were vibrant and healthy, asking no charge for shipping or the replacement plants. I would give the a 100% satisfaction rating and same rating on the customer service. This is how you hope all online business' will treat you. Thanks again for the cuban oregano or spanish thyme. I transplanted them and they couldn't look better.
Positive asleeponthekeys
Punta Gorda, FL
November 14, 2013
Ordered three blue ginger, dichorisandra thyrsiflora, two days ago and received them today. All nice plants, safely packaged. Believe all the positive reviews because they are true.
Positive poppetmochi
Mukilteo, WA (Zone 8a)
September 14, 2013
My plants arrived quickly, they were well packaged and Studley's was nice enough to follow up with me to make sure I was satisfied with my plant order. I would definitely order from again-What a great experience.
Positive SWickz
Fayetteville, AR
July 30, 2013
I've been a plant nut for over 40 years and have a masters degree in horticulture. The plants I got from Studley are among the BEST I've ever gotten anywhere in terms of quality and size!! What a great value for the price too!!

I am super impressed with their company and give them my highest recommendation.

Positive dahlhofer
Afton, TX
March 9, 2013
The plants arrived in record time. They were very well packed with only one little stem broken. The plants were very big and well worth the cost and shipping. I will happily order from this grower again. When I emailed a question, it was answered immediately. Thank you for your assistance and for the beautiful plants.

Positive vance2804ibr
Rock Hill, SC (Zone 8a)
December 14, 2012
I just recieved for plants from this company and I have no complaints. They came through the mail in perfect shape and were packaged perfectly. Will be buying through them again.
Positive debbiebuffy
Long Beach, WA
January 14, 2011
I just received 4 plants from Studley's in a very timely manner. I must report that I have never received such large, healthy plants as this from any other of the 10 companies that I have ordered from in the past. I paid a very low price for top quality, health plants. I highly recommend this company
Positive jimbobwae
Cedar Ridge, CA
January 13, 2011
ordered 2 Aeschyanthus marmoratus 'Black Pagoda.' Shipping was way fast and transaction handled smoothly. Love the quality of plant received. Two thumbs up.
Positive disfunctional
Richland, WA
November 24, 2008
The site had beautiful picture and was easy to use. I love the section: YOU LIVE IN A CAVE. My new home has few windows and little light. Studley's site told me exactly which plants would thrive in my home, and they were right. All my new plants arrived carefully wrapped in perfect condition. I would throughly recommend this site.
//www.ftdfloristsonline.com/studleygreenhouse/index.html
Positive marynowotny
Durango, CO
November 14, 2008
These were the sweetest little plants. They smelled terrific and arrived in perfect condition.