The scoop on 'Lazy Ox Farm'

Lazy Ox Farm

Rt. 2 Box 2749
Alton, Missouri 65606 (United States)

Phone: (417)778-1677

Comments:

Neutral kla22
Lawrence, KS
May 9, 2020
Posted on May 8, 2020, updated May 9, 2020
This company was apparently overwhelmed by business. But out of 12 plants ordered, only 7 were what I ordered. Be aware that they do not substitute based on anything other than general category of plant--nothing said in your order notes is used. For example, if you order a cherry tomato, you may get a random tomato plant, not another cherry or another container friendly plant (as per order notes request).

I should have paid more attention to the substitutions para on their website that says if you don't want subs that are 'similar' to request refunds.

I understand being busy and not wanting to bother with subs that a customer specifies. But I will stick to companies that pay attention to order notes/info and have a better than 60% availability. It's too bad because the plants are healthy and very well packaged.
On May 9th, 2020, kla22 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Update: I was really disappointed by the second order because only 2 items were what I wanted. But I did get a very nice email from the owner offering to redo because so many plants were not what I ordered. One plant I really wanted from first order was refunded and reshipped. I guess the seeming randomness wasn't normal and probably was due to the pandemic flood of orders. Maybe I will try again another year when it is not so busy.

On the whole I think this is a very good company. Just bad luck in the rush of a flood of orders. I should not write a review based on my initial disappointment. Apologies to Lazy Ox for a knee jerk review. If they don't normally send so many subs per order, then this was just another bad day in this very bad year of 2020.
Positive greenbrain
Madison, IL (Zone 6b)
April 26, 2020
No recent ratings as of early April 2020, but I ordered anyway based on former positive reviews. This was the first year that I didn't start my own tomato and pepper plants due to my long work commute and limited time to tend them properly. Since my local nurseries are closed due to the pandemic, I was panicked about obtaining any plants at all. This company has been working very hard to fill the unexpected huge increase in online orders. Immediately after placing my order for the assortment (I hoped this would increase my chances for items being in stock), I received a very friendly email accurately confirming my order with shipping date and another email with tracking information. My plants shipped and arrived on time in great condition. Best packaging I've ever experienced and I couldn't have grown any healthier looking plants. The prices are also low for healthy organically grown heirloom varieties.The only confusion is the plants came from Olathe, CO. On their website, it explains that they relocated from MO to CO and are now on mountain time located West of the Rockies. I would have hesitated ordering from them since I'm located across the river from St. Louis, MO and was looking for a nursery closer to home. I'm glad that I didn't read about the relocation before ordering because I would have missed out. How surprised I was to discover a wonderful assortment of varieties I had never yet grown in my 45 years of gardening! I can't wait to see and taste them all.
Positive Basil989
Pueblo, CO (Zone 5b)
April 25, 2020
I've actually purchased from this company twice now through their Etsy storefront. The first time was in 2018. I was impatient so I special requested they ship my various herbs ahead of schedule. They responded very quickly to my message and did so no problem.

With the order I just placed earlier this month, they scheduled to ship on the 20th and I (being a bit more experienced and mature this time around, lol) knew that was fine. They shipped right around that time (considering how delayed everyone is rn, very impressive), and it arrived just a couple days later.

So, one thing I want to point out with this company is their shipping method is AIR TIGHT. Not a single CRUMB of dirt spilled. Truly, the best I've yet to encounter. They have it down to an art form.The plants arrive moist, no spillage, and it doesn't matter how the mail carrier turns the box around. VERY impressive.

The plants always look good. Size may vary but they are healthy, nice roots, lots of leaves, and they smell amazing. I was, this year, able to finally get a much coveted french tarragon, as well as unique mints and sages.

I really recommend this little farm.
Positive drmurphy
Virginia Beach, VA
May 2, 2016
I was looking for a specific pepper plant (ghost/bhut jolokia) for spring 2016 and since the min order was six plants I went ahead and ordered 2 other hard to find peppers (aji dulce) and 2 ping tung eggplants. Since I am often traveling, I asked if they could let me know when they shipped. I received a confirmation and indication they would ship the following Tuesday and provide tracking. Tues can and so did the tracking number and when the plants arrived they were very healthy. They were not tall but certainly lush and in good shape. I think the thing that sets Lazy Ox Farm apart was the care and packing of their plants. I order from a lot of companies, big (won't mention names...) and small. The simple cardboard boxes and use of dowels to hold things in place worked extremely well. I would happily order from them again. Thanks!
Positive josuegroundhog
Roanoke, VA
April 18, 2016
I ordered a variety of plants from Lazy Ox in 2013. I was very happy and I've ordered more each spring since.

They have a nice selection, accurate descriptions, and I've never had a problem with any plant I've purchased.

Good shipping practices, reasonable prices, and good customer service.
Positive bleepy
West Islip, NY
May 16, 2015
Another great experience buying from the Lazy Ox. Last year was my first when I found them through a search for a particular tomato plant. Well priced and packaged healthy plants of a type that you won't find at the local garden center. Glad I found them!
Positive Warthogg
Oklahoma City, OK
April 16, 2012
This was my first order from the Lazy Ox folks.

1. Ordered 25 plants.
2. Received all 25 ordered plants.
3. Plants arrived one day ahead of schedule.
4. Plants received in excellent condition at least partly due to an excellent packing plan.
5. I've been hardening off the plants for five days and will begin planting tomorrow.

Knowledgeable and courteous people.....heck even their 'How to Care for Your Plants' sheet was useful.....good plants.

A rare find these days and I'm pleased to be able to say these nice things about LZ Ox.

Wart
Positive WendyRN
Coeburn, VA
May 20, 2011
Ordered Jaune Flamme tomatoes, Isis Candy tomatoes, and fish peppers from Lazy Ox Farm through localharvest.com. The plants were beautiful and healthy and very well packaged. Customer service was excellent - the post office lost half my order, and they very promptly shipped replacements, which were just as beautiful as the half the post office didn't lose.

Can't say enough good things about them. Will definitely order from them again.
Positive GreenColleen
Worcester, MA
August 4, 2010
This was my 1st time ordering plants through the mail. I ordered two cherry gold and two legend tomato plants in March. They came as planned in May, carefully packed and healthy, along with a bonus plum tomato plant. As they are starting to ripen here in August, these plants have exceeded my expectations. Most have grown taller than the fence and are producing great tasting tomatoes with a larger crop than any of my friends' plants despite the partially shaded plot and my novice gardening skills.
Positive magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
May 15, 2009
Received very healthy, well-packed plants, delivered on time. They have a great selection, including some unusual varieties, and their customer service is excellent. Will definitely order again.
On May 22nd, 2009, magnaastra added the following:

Placed a subsequent order, which also arrived in excellent condition. I've also ordered from several (!) other vendors, trying to decide who's going to get my business in the years to come. Lazy Ox is at the top of my list...
Positive enokes
Vallejo, CA
April 5, 2009
This was my first time ordering from Lazy Ox Farm, but it won't be my last. My plants arrived in excellent condition, and they seem to be very healthy.