Route des Marchandes

Reviews:

Displaying the 20 most recent reviews

On Mar 21, 2021, See_Will (3 reviews) from Pattaya,
Thailand (Zone 12a)

I ordered 100 Adansonia Digitata and the reply was "in a bout 8 weeks available". That was 17 Nov 2020 If they would be more reliable I would have been spending already same amounts (1000's $$$) like I do at Rarepalmseeds, Top Tropicals and Sunshineseeds where I get most seeds for my Nursery. Pity as they really have a great and outstanding List and many seeds nobody has to offer. Actually I would give them a Negative but considering the COVID situation where all companies are struggling to get supply....

On Feb 6, 2021, ctmalecyclist (1 reviews) from Middletown, CT

With the demise several years ago of Thompson and Morgan (the name exists in the US, but the company will not ship to US since the name was purchased, but T&M have nothing to do with it). I looked quite a while to find odd, unique, and rare seeds until I found B&T World Seeds. They will ship when they have product. I got some seeds that were very good only 3 weeks from ordering (from France!), others I ordered 5 weeks ago are still in "order confirmed". I freely accept this, as it is impossible for any one company to have a quadrillion varieties of seeds "in stock", and the complexity of running all this must be mind-boggling. So far I am very happy to have found a source of odd and unique seeds that will ship to the US.

On Feb 14, 2018, Ted_B (7 reviews) from Birmingham, AL (Zone 8a)

I have purchased seeds from this seller on numerous occasions, and all of my experiences have been positive. Realize that B&T does not stock everything they can source, which accounts for the extensive list. What is presently in stock and available however can be viewed on their "Species in Stock" webpage. Some seeds they acquire and ship only seasonally, which is better when viability is a concern. As such, realize that orders that include items that are preordered or not in stock will be split. Knowing such things in advance can save some a bit of frustration. I continue to do business with B&T for the simple reason that I have found what they sell to be consistently viable. In fact, I can think of two species (Rhamnus prinoides, Schisandra rubriflora) that would not be in my collection if it weren't for B&T, simply because having previously obtained seeds from other sources, the seeds I obtained from B&T are the only ones that ever germinated. I'll accept that for what it is.

On Jan 11, 2017, jsplanter (1 reviews)

Unfortunately, had a bad experience. Prompt shipping and good communication before the purchase. However seeds had 0% germination, and pre-order that was promised within a few weeks never came (several months have passed). Worse yet, zero response to occasional polite inquiries after the sale.

On Nov 22, 2015, oosterholt (1 reviews) from Aduard,
Netherlands (Zone 7b)

Asked a question, never got an answer. That was't the first time.

On Apr 16, 2015, francis99 (1 reviews) from Cincinnati, OH

Posted on April 16, 2015, updated April 16, 2015 Posted on April 14, 2015, updated April 16, 2015 SCAM COMPANY!! Beware!! Takes your money, sends dried filler material as seeds, and NEVER responds to e-mails asking for refund!!

On April 16th, 2015, francis99 added the following: Do NOT advertise rare seeds if you don't have them!! SHAME ON YOU!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!! WHERE IS MY REFUND???? YOU SENT ME DRIED LEAVES & TWIGS!! NO SEED AT ALL!! SHAME ON YOU!!

On Apr 8, 2015, tzada (2 reviews) from Lake City, FL

Off and on over several years I have dealt with this company. I have found that they often have seeds that can be found nowhere else. Will they have them exactly when I want them? Not always. Some times there is a wait, but I always got the seeds, until one day..... What I did get was a nice note of explanation detailing the reason that seed was no longer available and a full refund. I like their seeds and I like them.

On Dec 5, 2014, paulobessa (6 reviews) from Porto,
Portugal (Zone 9a)

Generally positive. However you must know how it works. You have a great variety of very rare seeds but most of them unavailable. You will be charged only for what is available and send that. Then, if something gets available let's say 1 year from now, you will be charged and send that package of seeds. Seeds seem to be viable all the time, at least in my case. Their communication is not that great. They do reply and are helpful but could email when there is a new of your "wants" available and ready to be shipped. Overall, I give them a positive reply, because there is no serious issues, you can get some really rare stuff from them.

On Feb 20, 2014, DavidLMo (8 reviews) from St Joseph, MO

They have a HUGE list. Unfortunately much of it is unavailable. Or when available the quantity to be supplied and/or price will take your breath away. I have never found anything there that I truly want and can afford that is available. Another gripe is that when a seed becomes available, they do not seem to email you. You need to go check your Wants List. I have been looking all over for Madder (Rubia cordifolia) [among about a dozen other seeds.]. I checked out my Wants List and it was available! Yippee!! NOT! Smallest available quantity is 1,000 grams for 185 Euros. WTF!? At ~ 130 seeds per gram - I really only want 50 seeds - not 130,000. Good Grief. ~ $ 250. There are about a dozen firms that offer truly rare seeds that you might consider checking before you search B&T.

On Jul 25, 2013, WhiteDragon (1 reviews) from Manchester,
United Kingdom

I've used B & T for close on 5 years - some of the rarer ethno botanicals are available and quite a few are on the wanted list - doubt if anyone subscribes to the wanted list though in terms of supplying the wants so not sure about the value of it as a wish list. In all my dealings they have been professional and very helpful, ok - price may have been on the high side and some of their suppliers may not be entirely scrupulous which I guess is difficult to monitor, overall they have given me good service.

On Mar 5, 2013, ransom3 (9 reviews) from Zephyrhills, FL

I have ordered some rarer type species of morning glory seeds from this company. Each and every packet, though labeled with the species name I wanted actually contained seeds of another species. For example, I order a double flowered I. tricolor ( they called Raffles) and I ended up with something that looked like a common Crimson Rambler ( I. purpurea) when the plants bloomed. I ordered Ipomoea cairica and I received seeds of Ipomoea parasitica. B.T. sounds good, but buyer beware. They are very confused.

On Oct 2, 2012, FlaFlower (7 reviews) from Titusville, FL (Zone 9b)

Actually I see they have a long list of stuff and MOST of it is not available EVER...you can put it on your "want list" but you never seem to hear back from them, have had 6 types of seed on the so called want list for 3 years now...haven't heard a peep about them...don't suspect I ever will! Not a single photo...who wants to go back and forth all over hither and beyond looking for plant pics? Besides you never really know on the web if those pics are what your looking for! Did the person posting them have the name right? I think if your selling something you should have a photo of it so we can make a real decission if that is what we want or if we should just guess? Come to think of it how do we know they actually know what they are selling if they don't have a photo? Maybe they are guessing?? After all it can take a few years to know if what you are growing is actually what you ordered. Not to mention there prices are huge...holy smokes

On Jan 3, 2011, uomo (5 reviews) from gent,
Belgium (Zone 8b)

This company has got to be the one with the most rare seeds and most extensive seed list available. Their website looks plain since it only contains a dozen pictures but that's why we have search engines. It's extremely easy to order. The seeds which are in stock will be addressed as so. So you know when you order other seeds which aren't in stock that you have to wait until they can be harvested and collected by the company from those harvesters (since they sell seeds from around the world). I don't mind the waiting because you know you've got to wait and can see your order status to follow it up, but this way you know you'll be able to get the best quality seeds; fresh and viable. Their prices are rather steep; well it seems steep. They sell seeds in huge amounts or large bulks(grams) and when ordering seed package you'll not know how many seeds will be included. There are seeds which are sold with quantity; like they say 15 seeds, but when I received those seeds; it were 40 seeds; so this way the price is justified. It's also one of those addictive companies; just looking up some species and see if they have them is an exciting moment. Fast shipping, best quality seeds, great seed count, justified prices (better to pay a bit more knowing you get viable seeds than paying less but getting nothing in return) great website and ordering service and the most extensive seed list available. This is one of those seed suppliers or seed companies you've got to order from for at least one time; but ordering once will result in more!!! will definitely order some more!

On Jul 5, 2008, Menk (9 reviews) from Darling Downs,
Australia

A little slow both with communication and sending seed, but I understand that they source much of their seed from third parties, hence the delay at times. They try to deliver only fresh seed that is sure to germinate and we need to remember that seed is not always in season, so we may have to wait for someone to harvest the seeds that we require. Forwarding seed and packaging it all takes time. They have an impressive list of seed and many rare plants that you simply can't get anywhere else on earth. I have always found them professional, ethical, and knowledgable. One of my only criticisms is that many of the seeds are only available in bulk supply of 10 grams or more. Some countries have tight Custom controls and place a charge on large orders, making the seed too expensive for those who live in these countries. Surely this seed could be sold in packets. Most gardeners only want a packet of seeds, not enough to plant a crop.

On Feb 7, 2005, kirsitn (13 reviews) from (Zone 6b)

Ordered 3 species of Thysanotus. It took rather long time before I got the seeds, but I was informed about that in my confirmation e-mail. I only got 2 of the species I ordered, but I'm fairly happy anyway, since I haven't been able to find these seeds anywhere else.

On Apr 25, 2004, catalinetta (4 reviews)

I ordered extremely rare seeds, possibly some of the rarest out there, and they arrived promptly. Before I ordered I had a few questions and Leslie (or is it Lesley?) got back to me very quickly after each email. I am planning a big order soon!

On Apr 7, 2004, paracelsus (18 reviews) from Elmira, NY (Zone 6a)

I have ordered from this company twice. Both times I called them in France to make sure that they actually had the seeds I wanted in stock because I needed them right away. Both times they said they did indeed have the seeds in stock--not as much as I wanted to buy, but enough. Both times they said they would send out my order right away but did not actually send it until literally three months later, by which time I had forgotten about it and gotten the seeds elsewhere. There was nothing wrong with the seed itself, just that it took them three months to send them. I have had this exact same experience with another French seed company not listed here, so maybe it is the way they do things there. If you order from them, keep the lag time in mind.

On Sep 1, 2003, silent7 (1 reviews)

I placed 2 orders, the first was half filled. The second order was for two different seeds, the second seed was nothing but twigs,leaves and no germination, it looked like they emptied the seed bin into a baggie and sent it to me. I used a razor blade to the split the pod to remove the seed, what seed there was. I emailed them and asked for a replacement order or my money back.I didn't hear back from them for two weeks. They said that was how long it took for the collector to get back to them. I asked for my money back, never got it, that was 2001. They have an an impressive list but again couldn't deliver the goods.

On Aug 17, 2003, clousseau_be (2 reviews) from mechelen,
Belgium

I've ordered from them several times, very good quality and exellent service. Highly recommended !! If you are looking for that special seed you cannot find anywhere else, try them !!

On Dec 3, 2002, dianthusman (29 reviews) from Pecos, NM (Zone 5b)

I've dealt several times from the USA with the folks at B&T, and they are helpful and knowledgeable. Their seeds are good quality, and they list many species and cultivars impossible to find anywhere else. Cavils: their prices are frequently high, and many of the offerings in their plantlists and on their Website are out of stock or unavailable (ALWAYS check with them before you place an order). But a nicer bunch of people you couldn't find anywhere. You owe it to yourself to visit their website.

» Read the rest of the reviews