Gillett, Wisconsin 54124 (United States)

Notes

St. Clare's carries over 500 varieties of vegetable, fruit, and herb seeds. A favorite among customers are our Garden Seed Collections, pre-selected packages of seeds ready to buy without the work or confusion of having to choose the seeds. From our Beginner Seed Collection or Container Garden Collection, through the Stocking Up Collection, there's something for everyone. We also carry a small selection of Organic Heirloom/Open-pollinated seeds, for those who prefer only organic seeds. We look forward to serving you, as we carry on the tradition of Heirloom and Open-pollnated Non-GMO Seeds! May God bless you!

posted on July 9, 2020

Reviews:

Displaying the 50 most recent reviews

On May 12, 2021, PatHurley (1 reviews) from Virginia Beach, VA

I ordered mini popcorn seeds from them and within a week or so I have the seeds. Exemplary service and kindness too! Can't ask for more than that can you?

On May 11, 2021, anton111us (1 reviews) from Jasper, GA

Received seeds quickly, and I find the experience charming. There was a personal note wishing me God's blessings from the owners. The packages are simple and easy to read, with clear planting instructions. The information about soil temperature was especially welcome. And the seeds, unlike with most commercial seed packs, are inside a plastic bag within the envelope, a nice touch. The prices were also extremely good compared to what is in our local Tractor Supply. So I am well satisfied and expecting good results later this summer.

On May 6, 2021, jmjgarden (1 reviews) from Round Lake, IL

I received my seeds timely. They even included a free package of seeds. All the seeds germinated quickly and the plants are beautiful. I plan on buying from them again, I would definitely recommend them to others.

On Apr 23, 2021, WIOrganic (1 reviews) from Madison, WI

Be aware that I offered negative feedback on St. Claire's behavior as a company and my reasons for not ordering from them in the future. That review (and at least one other from another who agreed) were removed. I am curious to know how often cutstomers' opinions are censored.

On Apr 18, 2021, Robert823 (1 reviews) from Derby, CT

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds is a great place to buy vegetable seeds. I have purchased from them for two seasons now, and I am happy. The germination rates are quite high. And, St. Clare's has excellent customer service. I plan on buying from them again in the future, and I would recommend them to others.

On Apr 9, 2021, prhstooker (1 reviews) from Chicopee, MA

Very Catholic and helping people prepare for future events

On Apr 5, 2021, Jennawren13 (1 reviews) from Montgomery, PA

Got my seeds quickly, they were beautifully packaged and I even got a free pack of lettuce seeds. Which I really wanted to start growing. I will be ordering from here again

On Apr 5, 2021, LycheeLady (1 reviews) from Lutz,
United States

Wonderful Company with Quality heirloom, organic, and regular seeds. Excellent success percentage with all seeds we've purchased the past 5 years. Usually ships promptly, with some allowance for seasonal rushes. Great at notifying when things are back in stock.

On Mar 16, 2021, dawnofnew (1 reviews) from Portland, OR

I have ordered my first batch of open-pollinated/heirloom seeds...excited for what comes! So far order to receipt has been extremely easy and i especially appreciate the personal touch and messaging from the family owners. Blessings and happy growing!

On Mar 3, 2021, svieira (1 reviews) from Front Royal, VA (Zone 6b)

A really nice experience - fast service, even in the midst of the pandemic garden crush. A kind note and a great one-pager for new gardeners even for a simple order of herb seeds and seed saving packets. Will be ordering from them again!

On Feb 26, 2021, PaulCrozier (1 reviews) from Yerington, NV

Friendly prompt service with a personal touch. We started ordering from StClare this season because they have excellent selection of open pollinated and heirloom seeds, have met most of my seed requirements for this season and I really prefer to support businesses who share our values and principals. Look forward to doing business with them in the future.

On Feb 26, 2021, MollyBlooms (12 reviews) from Grosse Pointe Farms, MI

Posted on May 1, 2016, updated February 26, 2021 Posted on November 16, 2015, updated May 1, 2016 Posted on August 13, 2015, updated November 16, 2015 Posted on June 11, 2015, updated August 13, 2015 Posted on April 19, 2015, updated June 11, 2015 Posted on January 22, 2015, updated April 19, 2015 These folks are FAST in filling their orders! This is the first time I've ordered from this company. I placed an online order for seeds on Sunday, Jan. 18; the seeds arrived in the mail today, Thursday, Jan. 22 --- and remember that Monday was a national holiday. I also placed an order for worm casts and look forward to getting that. I like that they specialize in open-pollinated varieties. Selection isn't huge, but they seem to have done a good job of vetting what they offer. I've had bad experiences with mail order houses that offer everything plus the kitchen sink without regard to whether a particular variety is a good grower, has good flavor, etc. If the germination rate is on a par with their service, St. Clare's will have a repeat customer in me.

On April 19th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following: Started some of the seeds about a week ago (the other varieties I ordered do better with direct sowing rather than being started indoors). So far, excellent germination. The heirloom tomatoes mix was up in about five days and the peppers are now starting to sprout. I also ordered worm casts from this company and used them to top-dress some ailing tropical-to-tender plants that I overwintered in a cool greenhouse. ("Cool" became "life-threatening" when the heat failed in February.) The plants, including two pink banana trees, are definitely the worse for wear after a long, dark winter, but within a week of my applying the worm casts, they are already doing much better and making new growth. I'm ordering more worm casts from St. Clare's as I do quite a bit of container gardening and hate to replace the potting soil year after year. Using worm casts seems like an effective way to rejuvenate existing soil.
On June 11th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following: It's official: St. Clare's is now my favorite source for seeds. My order included a seed mix of heirloom tomatoes -- a fine idea, because I like heirlooms but don't like ordering a dozen packets to get some variety in what I plant. My tomato plants are now over 3" high with two blossom sets each, which is something of a miracle given the late-May chill we had here, and they are continuing to grow like gangbusters. Same for the broccoli plants, which are huge and thriving. We've already had three salads from the lettuce seeds from St. Clare's. Now for the worm casts: I have two pink banana trees, grown from seed, which took a hit when the heat went out in my greenhouse and they died back to the roots. I scratched some of St. Clare's worm casts into the soil and said a prayer. Now each plant is over 2" tall and looks great.
On August 13th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following: This is the best yield/quality of tomatoes I've had in years. I did re-site my container garden, which may have helped, but the flavor and performance of these heirloom tomatoes is out of this world. Very pleased.
On November 16th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following: I placed an order this morning and by 10:30 I had an e-mail confirming that my order had shipped! The speed is impressive but the communications are even more so. Wish this was the industry standard; I feel like sharing this with the several online nurseries that somehow cannot notify the customer when an order has shipped/will ship. Thanks, St. Clare's!
On May 1st, 2016, MollyBlooms added the following: Received my order of worm casts with St. Clare's usual lightning speed, and I've top dressed my container gardens with it. A last-season's pepper plant that I had pretty much given up on shot up a foot and covered itself in leaves and buds following an application. The seeds I ordered have a very high germination rate Very pleased with this company as always!
On February 26th, 2021, MollyBlooms added the following: Ordered from St. Clare Seeds yet again this year, and received the same speedy service as always. They are my go-to seed source every year. None of this is new; St. Clare's is the same great family-owned company they've always been. I am posting because "cancel culture" has reared its ugly head on St. Clare's ratings page. Fortunately, there are only three disgruntled people who felt it necessary to publicly attack St. Clare's and disparage this fine business. I'm glad that the vast majority of people on this site understand that the reviews are their honest evaluations of a company's products and services. A string of bad reviews can be devastating to a business, but you people who posted the negative reviews know that, of course -- that's the whole point. It's not enough for you folks to just not shop with St. Clare's, is it? No, you're out to shame them and punish them and label these decent people, who you do not know, as "racist." You say they're "divisive"? Look in the mirror.

On Feb 24, 2021, GAgardenboy (1 reviews) from Carrollton, GA

St. Clare seed is a great company to work with. Two years ago I had very poor germination of some squash seeds I had purchased from them. Some of the seeds germinated but most did not. I reported it to them not asking or expecting a refund since I wasn't sure it was the seed or some other factor. I mainly just wanted to let them know my experience. Within the day I received an apology and they refunded the cost of the seeds to my credit card. Last year everything I purchased from them grew great including the squash. St. Clare is my go-to company for all of my garden seeds.

On Feb 22, 2021, ncalvino (1 reviews) from Sunman, IN

Great, small-town-feel service regardless of where you are ordering from. I will be back.

On Feb 15, 2021, flatbeds (1 reviews) from Valencia, CA

I've ordered from this company a couple times and I've been very impressed with them. My packages always come quicker than expected and you can tell they put a lot of care into what they do. The seeds are great, I've never had any issues with them. Will continue to purchase from St. Clare's.

On Feb 1, 2021, rcbulldog (4 reviews) from North Sutton, NH

Been a customer of these folks for many years. In light of the huge surge in gardening caused by Covid it is great to see a company holding true to providing the best service possible. Many large companies are choosing to "tweak" tried and true varieties in order to come up with a "new" variation to trademark and skyrocket prices. Not so with heirloom seed companies, like this one, that take the non-gmo pledge and adhere to the heirloom principles of seed saving. I mean $6-$7 for 20 seeds from some of these large companies! And then there is shipping. $4.00 flat shipping seems right in line with the going postal rates plus a little to cover packaging and labor. Some of these big guys are double or triple that. And it goes up exponentially. As someone who has gardened for 30 years and counting I know the value of these small seed purveyors and I hope folks will flock to all these small and heirloom sellers, or they may not be here for long! It's too bad politics must enter into such a great environmentally sound hobby as heirloom gardening. If you feel this strongly, by all means look elsewhere. Those are the rights many veterans have given to you free of charge.

On Jan 21, 2021, chiggersthedog (2 reviews) from Argo, AL (Zone 7b)

I have placed several orders from St Clare over the past couple years and have been very impressed by the quality of their product and service. Selection is great and they have always thrown in a bonus seed pack. Seeds arrive quickly and the germination is outstanding. I look forward to doing business with them for many years to come.

On Jan 21, 2021, Bauer4275 (1 reviews)

I love this company. Their customer service is excellent, I received my seeds quickly and I love the packaging with detailed planting instructions. Much more detailed than the big box store seed companies. Their website is easy to use and I love their positive statements and quotes. It is also nice to support a small home based company. I also received a free pack of Brussel Sprouts which is something I have never grown and I can't wait to try. All the positive feedback on this web site makes me happy I stumbled upon them and not someone else because I didn't know about this website till after I had ordered the seeds. Looks like the only 2 negative comments are politically based "cancel culture" types that can be completely ignored by me. Thank you St. Clare I will continue to support you through the years.

On Jan 19, 2021, 2oldscots (1 reviews) from Blaine, TN

Very pleased! First time buyer, order came in a timely manner, seeds look great and we love to support our small businesses. We are very excited because this year will be our first time growing dry beans !!

On Jan 14, 2021, JuliaW (1 reviews) from Meridian, MS

Our order arrived quickly and was accurate. Enjoyed using their welcome discount for new newsletter sign-ups, and look forward to purchasing from them again in the future. Love supporting family owned businessesó especially Catholic ones!

On Dec 17, 2020, cokin (1 reviews) from Vernon Hills, IL

I found several varieties of seeds I was interested in planting, flowers and lettuce this order. I received my order promptly and they included 2 packets of free seeds that were consistent with what I was ordering which was a nice addition. I enjoyed the newsletter as well.

On Dec 9, 2020, powellcatrose (1 reviews) from Alvarado, TX

I like this company. They put their seeds in little plastic zip close bags within the paper envelopes. Their seed prices are very good and better if you catch their sales. Shipping price is awesome.

On Dec 1, 2020, sdgardennymph (2 reviews) from Beresford, SD

A great place to buy more well known plant seeds at a great price! Shipping also very reasonable.

On Oct 27, 2020, Rogergarcia (1 reviews) from Shafter, CA

It was GREAT and a fun experience the seeds came in great quality and came fast dispute the distance. 10/10

On Oct 20, 2020, VegFruitQueen (1 reviews)

I highly recommend St. Clare Heirloom Seed Company. Excellent customer service. Excellent product and quick shipping. Love the free seeds with the order. They respond very speedily to e-mails, too. You will be pleasantly surprised by the company when you try it!

On Aug 17, 2020, willow7777 (1 reviews) from Mountain City, TN

I received all seeds in timely fashion. Look good and hope they grow well. thanks for service.

On Aug 12, 2020, Littlefarmlane (1 reviews) from Grand Junction, CO

I placed an order in late May for some fall seeds; broccoli, cabbages, lettuces, carrots, turnips, spinach, and the like for mid summer planting and eating until the fall / winter and hopefully over winter. Even When many other seed companies were understandably behind or not taking new orders my order was shipped in four or five days, it came quickly and shipping was cheap. seems like a nice family company. Germination has been excellent , Iíve been using all seed plugs outside (but in a shaded location) and everything has come up, even the parsnips ! Things seems to be growing well although I think itís just been too hot for The broccolis and they have withered. I feel that for many of my basic seed needs this company is a better value than say Lake valley seeds, or the cheaper seeds at a local store. They come in a resealable plastic bag , which keeps them from spilling everywhere and apparently Most seeds last for years if you Keep them in the fridge. Will buy again.

On Jun 15, 2020, Helencueto (1 reviews) from Stony Point, NY

Great experience ,fast shipping, great packaging , Iím new to gardening and they have provided very helpful information , very happy with the whole order, I will keep buying from them , highly recommend .

On Jun 11, 2020, MightyMindy (1 reviews) from Osseo, MI

I purchased two different mail orders this spring. The shipments arrived quickly. I really like that they include detailed planting instructions and seed history and info. The information is so helpful, and easy to follow.. I also received a free sample seed pack, which was exciting and fun. I am looking forward to the garden results and will definitely be ordering again. Gardening in Michigan

On Jun 5, 2020, Zcasc (1 reviews) from Chicago, IL

Good selection, and I'm happy to support a local midwestern family-run operation. It's nice to have seeds shipped within an envelope as well as a resealable plastic baggie for lasting freshness. Sans all the glitz and glamour of other seed envelopes, but hey- are you buying seeds or paying for an envelope? Thanks for the timely order fulfillment. God Bless

On Jun 2, 2020, mleslie (1 reviews) from Salt Lake City, UT

I was very happy with my seed order, not only are they non-GMO seeds but the company is here in the US. They came well packed with a good amount of information. I will diffidently be buying seeds from them in the future.

On May 25, 2020, reffkh (1 reviews) from Watertown, NY

Liked the reasonable flat shipping rate and the resealable inner package for seeds. Very satisfied. Would recommend.

On May 14, 2020, LeganGarden (1 reviews) from Orlando, FL

I first chose to order from St. Clare Seeds because they are a family business that publicly honors their faith. I have continued to order from them for that reason and because they are simply good seeds with good service! The website is simple, straightforward, and easy to navigate - it works! Placing orders goes smoothly and shipment is flat-rate and fast. They have given thought to their customers needs by placing the seeds in a small, reusable zip top bag stored inside the traditional paper packet. I love this! When one of my orders had a mistake (oddly, it was a double mistake, on their end and on mine) I contacted them by email, was replied to within 24hrs, and had the correct seed packet within a couple days. Their service is top-notch! ______________ In 2018 I began my first vegetable and herb garden with 24 different seed packets from St. Clare. They had excellent germination, which continued throughout 2019 and 2020 for the leftover seeds which were stored intermittently in zip top bags in the refrigerator or in a cupboard. Being heirlooms, I have also saved seed from many of my mature plants (tomatoes, bush beans, leaf lettuce, arugula, peppers, marigolds) and germination rates are good. Their freebie pack was the best producer of all my tomatoes, thanks!

On May 4, 2020, Jpow915 (1 reviews) from Kingsland, GA

I ordered from St. Clare Heirloom seeds for the first time on April 25, 2020. My heirloom carrot seeds arrived today, May 4, 2020. I am pleased with my purchase, especially thankful for the extra free seed packet included in my order. I will be purchasing from this company again.

On Apr 22, 2020, praporshchik (1 reviews) from Madison, WI

Great site and lots of informative details on the products they sell!

On Apr 17, 2020, Misty14 (1 reviews) from Midland City, AL

Iíve ordered from St.Clare Seeds a few times and Iím always impressed! Great on delivery, germination rate is awesome, and always love the little gift!

On Mar 23, 2020, tissy79 (1 reviews) from Highland, IL

Website was a breeze to use. Easy navigation, wonderful selection to choose from, affordable prices, faith based and family owned.

On Mar 8, 2020, Mossyrock125 (1 reviews) from Mount Olivet, KY

I had information on how and when to plant and my seeds shipped to my house fast.

On Jan 2, 2020, Tanner725 (1 reviews) from Belton, TX

The online selection was great! When I ordered my seeds they came quickly in the mail. The seller also sent a bonus lettuce seed pack which my wife and I very much enjoyed. I will continue to go to St. Clare Heirloom Seeds for my future seed needs. My only criticism is that the website is a bit dated.

On May 6, 2019, Doccook (1 reviews) from Churchville, VA

Great selection of seeds, and wonderfully prompt serviceóa positive shopping experience every time!

On Sep 19, 2018, Mrdoan72 (1 reviews) from Cabool, MO

AAAA++++

On Jul 30, 2018, lcarothers (1 reviews) from Georgetown, SC

Joy in shopping for heirlooms seeds. Easy to navigate site, reasonable pricing and shipping. Concise clear info on each product. Ease of check out, very easy! A good experience, I recommend ST Clare Heirloom seeds.

On Jun 4, 2018, sinsky (1 reviews) from Milwaukee, WI

Third year I've ordered vegetable seeds from St. Clare. My order was accurate and arrived promptly. As with my prior two orders, I anticipate another bountiful harvest thanks to St. Clare!

On Mar 23, 2018, nitadrend (5 reviews) from Yorkville, IL

I received my seeds quickly, as I have come to expect from St. Clare. Each year I start vegetable plants from seeds for myself, 2 daughters, and 3 sisters. So, St. Clare's excellent germination rate is very important to me. This year I see they attached a "Live Seeds Do Not X-Ray or Sanitize!" sticker on the mailing envelope. What a great idea! We are looking forward to trying the Santa Fe Grande Pepper this year for the first time.

On Mar 3, 2018, Zdencano (1 reviews) from Atlanta, GA

Wonderful web site and great customer service.

On Mar 2, 2018, St_Agricola (1 reviews) from Wells, MN

Iíve been buying vegetable seed from John and Sarah at St. Clare Seeds now for about 8 years. They have fast friendly no hastle service. The seeds grow well for me with great tasting produce. I encourage you to give them a try.

On May 25, 2017, camillicat (3 reviews) from Lovington, NM

This is my first order from this company and I am very pleased with how quickly my order arrived! I chose St. Clare Seeds simply because they had the two particular varieties of seeds I was looking for. I also love the free seeds I received...one of my favorite cucumbers! Thank you so much! I am excited to see how well they germinate, and have to add, I was really pleased to see that the shipping mailer was stamped "LIVE SEEDS. Do not x-ray or sanitize!" I had never seen this on mail order seeds, and am very impressed with their handling and packaging!

On May 12, 2017, riddled (2 reviews) from Quitman, GA

This is my first time ordering with St. Claire. I checked out the reviews on Dave's Garden and decided to give them a try. First off, they ship very quickly. Within a couple of hours I had an email notification that they had shipped. I have not planted the seeds yet so I can not comment on that. But the seeds were well packaged with planting instructions clearly printed on each package. They even gave me a free packet of a winter squash variety. I am a beginner with heirloom gardening so I also bought a book from them called The Complete Guide to Saving Seeds. The book seems to be informative, with plenty to learn. I am very satisfied with my experience with St. Claire and I will be a returning customer.

On Apr 16, 2017, handrail64 (1 reviews) from Canton, OK

1st time ordering, order arrived quickly and was correct plus bonus seeds. will buy from again!! very happy gardener!

On Mar 27, 2017, marge638 (1 reviews) from Weippe, ID

March 27, 2017. This is my first year using St. Clare Heirloom Seeds. So far, I'm impressed. The packaging is quality - smaller seeds are contained in a small ziplock package inside the paper packet. Each packet has a sticker on the back with information regarding days to maturity, how many seeds you are getting, & the name of the seed. The planting instructions are to the point on the back of the packet. They also send a newsletter that tells you how to save your best seeds for planting the next year. They really take care of your gardening questions even before they are questions!!! So, I'm in the process of planting my 2017 starts - we can't plant outdoors usually until May - June. I'm excited to see how well these seeds do. Glad they are not GMO and that they are heirloom. Long live nature!!! - Will post again as our babies grow to let you know how it's going.

» Read the rest of the reviews