The scoop on 'St. Clare Heirloom Seeds'

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds

Green Star: Good St. Clare Heirloom Seeds is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

Gillett, Wisconsin 54124 (United States)

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on July 9, 2020:
St. Clare's carries over 500 varieties of vegetable, fruit, and herb seeds. Also, a favorite among customers are our Garden Seed Collections, pre-selected packages of seeds ready to buy without the work or confusion of having to choose the seeds. From our Beginner Seed Collection or Container Garden Collection, through the Stocking Up Collection, there's something for everyone. We also carry a small selection of organic Heirloom/open-pollinated seeds, for those who prefer only organic seeds. We look forward to serving you, as we carry on the tradition of Heirloom and Open-pollnated Non-GMO Seeds! May God bless you!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive prhstooker
Chicopee, MA
April 9, 2021
Very Catholic and helping people prepare for future events
On Apr 10, 2021 7:32 AM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear prhstooker,
Thank you for the positive rating. We are pleased you are happy with our company.
God bless you,

Positive Jennawren13
Montgomery, PA
April 5, 2021
Got my seeds quickly, they were beautifully packaged and I even got a free pack of lettuce seeds. Which I really wanted to start growing. I will be ordering from here again
On Apr 10, 2021 7:27 AM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear Jennawren13,
Thanks so much for the positive rating! So glad the seeds made it to you quickly! Love to hear reviews on our packaging. :-) Awesome! Love when the free packet is something a customer is excited to receive or wanted to grow. Thank you for your patronage!

Positive LycheeLady
Lutz,
United States
April 5, 2021
Wonderful Company with Quality heirloom, organic, and regular seeds. Excellent success percentage with all seeds we've purchased the past 5 years. Usually ships promptly, with some allowance for seasonal rushes. Great at notifying when things are back in stock.
On Apr 10, 2021 7:24 AM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

J.M.J,
Dear LycheeLady,
Thanks so much for the positive review! So glad you've had such great results with our seeds. We appreciate your continued patronage. Yes, we try really hard to ship quickly, which can be difficult to keep up being a family run operation, and life in the midst of things. :-) We are grateful when customers kindly are understanding when we have a seasonal rush or after a sale when we have been overwhelmed with orders, it may take a little more time to ship out. Thanks for mentioning that, and understanding. We can't tell you how much we appreciate that. We do try to let customers know when we can if we get something back in stock they asked about, as you mentioned(may forget from time to time, or be unable to at times, depending on things like being overwhelmed with medical needs of a child or such.), but we try to give the service we would like ourselves. Thanks again for taking the time to review!

Positive dawnofnew
Portland, OR
March 16, 2021
I have ordered my first batch of open-pollinated/heirloom seeds...excited for what comes! So far order to receipt has been extremely easy and i especially appreciate the personal touch and messaging from the family owners.

Blessings and happy growing!
On Apr 10, 2021 7:14 AM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear dawnofnew,

Thanks so much for your review! We love hearing the details that customers appreciate, it is encouraging, and helps us know what they find meaningful or helpful. Blessings to you, too!

God Bless,

Positive svieira
Front Royal, VA (Zone 6b)
March 3, 2021
A really nice experience - fast service, even in the midst of the pandemic garden crush. A kind note and a great one-pager for new gardeners even for a simple order of herb seeds and seed saving packets. Will be ordering from them again!
Company representative comment on March 10, 2021:
On Mar 10, 2021 7:14 AM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear svieira,
Thank you very much for your positive rating, and taking the time leave a review. We are so glad you are pleased with our service, and look forward to serving you in the years to come.
God bless and keep you,

Positive PaulCrozier
Yerington, NV
February 26, 2021
Friendly prompt service with a personal touch. We started ordering from StClare this season because they have excellent selection of open pollinated and heirloom seeds, have met most of my seed requirements for this season and I really prefer to support businesses who share our values and principals. Look forward to doing business with them in the future.
On Feb 27, 2021 6:40 PM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear Paul,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a rating! We appreciate the positive feedback, and your patronage. :-) We are please you are happy with our service, and appreciate your support!
May God bless you,

Posted on August 13, 2015, updated November 16, 2015
Posted on June 11, 2015, updated August 13, 2015
Posted on April 19, 2015, updated June 11, 2015
Posted on January 22, 2015, updated April 19, 2015
These folks are FAST in filling their orders! This is the first time I've ordered from this company. I placed an online order for seeds on Sunday, Jan. 18; the seeds arrived in the mail today, Thursday, Jan. 22 --- and remember that Monday was a national holiday.

I also placed an order for worm casts and look forward to getting that.

I like that they specialize in open-pollinated varieties. Selection isn't huge, but they seem to have done a good job of vetting what they offer. I've had bad experiences with mail order houses that offer everything plus the kitchen sink without regard to whether a particular variety is a good grower, has good flavor, etc. If the germination rate is on a par with their service, St. Clare's will have a repeat customer in me.
On April 19th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

Started some of the seeds about a week ago (the other varieties I ordered do better with direct sowing rather than being started indoors). So far, excellent germination. The heirloom tomatoes mix was up in about five days and the peppers are now starting to sprout.
I also ordered worm casts from this company and used them to top-dress some ailing tropical-to-tender plants that I overwintered in a cool greenhouse. ("Cool" became "life-threatening" when the heat failed in February.) The plants, including two pink banana trees, are definitely the worse for wear after a long, dark winter, but within a week of my applying the worm casts, they are already doing much better and making new growth. I'm ordering more worm casts from St. Clare's as I do quite a bit of container gardening and hate to replace the potting soil year after year. Using worm casts seems like an effective way to rejuvenate existing soil.
On June 11th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

It's official: St. Clare's is now my favorite source for seeds. My order included a seed mix of heirloom tomatoes -- a fine idea, because I like heirlooms but don't like ordering a dozen packets to get some variety in what I plant. My tomato plants are now over 3" high with two blossom sets each, which is something of a miracle given the late-May chill we had here, and they are continuing to grow like gangbusters. Same for the broccoli plants, which are huge and thriving. We've already had three salads from the lettuce seeds from St. Clare's.
Now for the worm casts: I have two pink banana trees, grown from seed, which took a hit when the heat went out in my greenhouse and they died back to the roots. I scratched some of St. Clare's worm casts into the soil and said a prayer. Now each plant is over 2" tall and looks great.
On August 13th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

This is the best yield/quality of tomatoes I've had in years. I did re-site my container garden, which may have helped, but the flavor and performance of these heirloom tomatoes is out of this world. Very pleased.
On November 16th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

I placed an order this morning and by 10:30 I had an e-mail confirming that my order had shipped! The speed is impressive but the communications are even more so. Wish this was the industry standard; I feel like sharing this with the several online nurseries that somehow cannot notify the customer when an order has shipped/will ship. Thanks, St. Clare's!
On May 1st, 2016, MollyBlooms added the following:

Received my order of worm casts with St. Clare's usual lightning speed, and I've top dressed my container gardens with it. A last-season's pepper plant that I had pretty much given up on shot up a foot and covered itself in leaves and buds following an application. The seeds I ordered have a very high germination rate Very pleased with this company as always!
On February 26th, 2021, MollyBlooms added the following:

Ordered from St. Clare Seeds yet again this year, and received the same speedy service as always. They are my go-to seed source every year.

None of this is new; St. Clare's is the same great family-owned company they've always been. I am posting because "cancel culture" has reared its ugly head on St. Clare's ratings page. Fortunately, there are only three disgruntled people who felt it necessary to publicly attack St. Clare's and disparage this fine business. I'm glad that the vast majority of people on this site understand that the reviews are their honest evaluations of a company's products and services. A string of bad reviews can be devastating to a business, but you people who posted the negative reviews know that, of course -- that's the whole point. It's not enough for you folks to just not shop with St. Clare's, is it? No, you're out to shame them and punish them and label these decent people, who you do not know, as "racist." You say they're "divisive"? Look in the mirror.
On Feb 27, 2021 6:38 PM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear Molly ,

Thank you, so much, for again posting positively about your continued experiencing with our company! We truly appreciate your faithful support, as well as taking a stand in defense of us.

May God bless and keep you,
The St. Clare Heirloom seeds Family

Positive GAgardenboy
Carrollton, GA
February 24, 2021
St. Clare seed is a great company to work with. Two years ago I had very poor germination of some squash seeds I had purchased from them. Some of the seeds germinated but most did not. I reported it to them not asking or expecting a refund since I wasn't sure it was the seed or some other factor. I mainly just wanted to let them know my experience. Within the day I received an apology and they refunded the cost of the seeds to my credit card. Last year everything I purchased from them grew great including the squash.

St. Clare is my go-to company for all of my garden seeds.
On Feb 27, 2021 6:46 PM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear GAgardenboy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We truly appreciate that you took the time to give us a second chance and make things right when one of your seeds didn't grow well. We are so glad to continue to serve you, and appreciate your purchases!

God bless and keep you,

Positive ncalvino
Sunman, IN
February 22, 2021
Great, small-town-feel service regardless of where you are ordering from. I will be back.
On Feb 27, 2021 6:48 PM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear Friend,
Thanks so much for the positive rating! we are happy you like our service. Thank you for your patronage!

Positive flatbeds
Valencia, CA
February 15, 2021
I've ordered from this company a couple times and I've been very impressed with them. My packages always come quicker than expected and you can tell they put a lot of care into what they do. The seeds are great, I've never had any issues with them. Will continue to purchase from St. Clare's.
On Feb 27, 2021 6:51 PM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear flatbeds,

Thanks so much for leaving a review! We are very grateful, and are so happy you like our seeds and service. We look forward to continuing serving you in the years to come.
May God bless and keep you,

Positive rcbulldog
North Sutton, NH
February 1, 2021
Been a customer of these folks for many years.

In light of the huge surge in gardening caused by Covid it is great to see a company holding true to providing the best service possible. Many large companies are choosing to "tweak" tried and true varieties in order to come up with a "new" variation to trademark and skyrocket prices. Not so with heirloom seed companies, like this one, that take the non-gmo pledge and adhere to the heirloom principles of seed saving. I mean $6-$7 for 20 seeds from some of these large companies!

And then there is shipping. $4.00 flat shipping seems right in line with the going postal rates plus a little to cover packaging and labor. Some of these big guys are double or triple that. And it goes up exponentially.

As someone who has gardened for 30 years and counting I know the value of these small seed purveyors and I hope folks will flock to all these small and heirloom sellers, or they may not be here for long!

It's too bad politics must enter into such a great environmentally sound hobby as heirloom gardening. If you feel this strongly, by all means look elsewhere. Those are the rights many veterans have given to you free of charge.
On Feb 27, 2021 6:57 PM, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds responded with:

Dear RCBulldog,

Thanks so much for taking the time write a review. We love serving repeat customers, and are always grateful when they take the time to let others know of the service they have received with us.

To you, and to ALL who have left us reviews, we send out a huge THANK YOU! If we have not left thank yous before, we apologize to those who have taken all the time to leave ratings/reviews. It truly means a lot to us.

Thank you also for your service to our country, rcbulldog. We are so grateful for the sacrifices of all those who serve, or have served, as well as their family's sacrifices.

May God bless and keep you!

Positive chiggersthedog
Argo, AL (Zone 7b)
January 21, 2021
I have placed several orders from St Clare over the past couple years and have been very impressed by the quality of their product and service. Selection is great and they have always thrown in a bonus seed pack. Seeds arrive quickly and the germination is outstanding. I look forward to doing business with them for many years to come.
Positive Bauer4275
January 21, 2021
I love this company. Their customer service is excellent, I received my seeds quickly and I love the packaging with detailed planting instructions. Much more detailed than the big box store seed companies. Their website is easy to use and I love their positive statements and quotes. It is also nice to support a small home based company. I also received a free pack of Brussel Sprouts which is something I have never grown and I can't wait to try. All the positive feedback on this web site makes me happy I stumbled upon them and not someone else because I didn't know about this website till after I had ordered the seeds. Looks like the only 2 negative comments are politically based "cancel culture" types that can be completely ignored by me. Thank you St. Clare I will continue to support you through the years.
Positive 2oldscots
Blaine, TN
January 19, 2021
Very pleased! First time buyer, order came in a timely manner, seeds look great and we love to support our small businesses. We are very excited because this year will be our first time growing dry beans !!
Positive JuliaW
Meridian, MS
January 14, 2021
Our order arrived quickly and was accurate. Enjoyed using their welcome discount for new newsletter sign-ups, and look forward to purchasing from them again in the future. Love supporting family owned businessesó especially Catholic ones!
Positive cokin
Vernon Hills, IL
December 17, 2020
I found several varieties of seeds I was interested in planting, flowers and lettuce this order. I received my order promptly and they included 2 packets of free seeds that were consistent with what I was ordering which was a nice addition. I enjoyed the newsletter as well.
Positive powellcatrose
Alvarado, TX
December 9, 2020
I like this company. They put their seeds in little plastic zip close bags within the paper envelopes. Their seed prices are very good and better if you catch their sales. Shipping price is awesome.
Positive sdgardennymph
Beresford, SD
December 1, 2020
A great place to buy more well known plant seeds at a great price! Shipping also very reasonable.
Positive Rogergarcia
Shafter, CA
October 27, 2020
It was GREAT and a fun experience the seeds came in great quality and came fast dispute the distance. 10/10
Positive VegFruitQueen
October 20, 2020
I highly recommend St. Clare Heirloom Seed Company. Excellent customer service. Excellent product and quick shipping. Love the free seeds with the order. They respond very speedily to e-mails, too. You will be pleasantly surprised by the company when you try it!
Positive willow7777
Mountain City, TN
August 17, 2020
I received all seeds in timely fashion. Look good and hope they grow well. thanks for service.
Positive Littlefarmlane
Grand Junction, CO
August 12, 2020
I placed an order in late May for some fall seeds; broccoli, cabbages, lettuces, carrots, turnips, spinach, and the like for mid summer planting and eating until the fall / winter and hopefully over winter.

Even When many other seed companies were understandably behind or not taking new orders my order was shipped in four or five days, it came quickly and shipping was cheap. seems like a nice family company.

Germination has been excellent , Iíve been using all seed plugs outside (but in a shaded location) and everything has come up, even the parsnips ! Things seems to be growing well although I think itís just been too hot for The broccolis and they have withered.

I feel that for many of my basic seed needs this company is a better value than say Lake valley seeds, or the cheaper seeds at a local store. They come in a resealable plastic bag , which keeps them from spilling everywhere and apparently Most seeds last for years if you Keep them in the fridge.

Will buy again.
Positive Helencueto
Stony Point, NY
June 15, 2020
Great experience ,fast shipping, great packaging , Iím new to gardening and they have provided very helpful information , very happy with the whole order, I will keep buying from them , highly recommend .
Positive MightyMindy
Osseo, MI
June 11, 2020
I purchased two different mail orders this spring. The shipments arrived quickly. I really like that they include detailed planting instructions and seed history and info. The information is so helpful, and easy to follow.. I also received a free sample seed pack, which was exciting and fun. I am looking forward to the garden results and will definitely be ordering again. Gardening in Michigan
Positive Zcasc
Chicago, IL
June 5, 2020
Good selection, and I'm happy to support a local midwestern family-run operation. It's nice to have seeds shipped within an envelope as well as a resealable plastic baggie for lasting freshness. Sans all the glitz and glamour of other seed envelopes, but hey- are you buying seeds or paying for an envelope? Thanks for the timely order fulfillment. God Bless
Positive mleslie
Salt Lake City, UT
June 2, 2020
I was very happy with my seed order, not only are they non-GMO seeds but the company is here in the US. They came well packed with a good amount of information. I will diffidently be buying seeds from them in the future.
Positive reffkh
Watertown, NY
May 25, 2020
Liked the reasonable flat shipping rate and the resealable inner package for seeds. Very satisfied. Would recommend.
Positive LeganGarden
Orlando, FL
May 14, 2020
I first chose to order from St. Clare Seeds because they are a family business that publicly honors their faith. I have continued to order from them for that reason and because they are simply good seeds with good service!

The website is simple, straightforward, and easy to navigate - it works! Placing orders goes smoothly and shipment is flat-rate and fast. They have given thought to their customers needs by placing the seeds in a small, reusable zip top bag stored inside the traditional paper packet. I love this!

When one of my orders had a mistake (oddly, it was a double mistake, on their end and on mine) I contacted them by email, was replied to within 24hrs, and had the correct seed packet within a couple days. Their service is top-notch!
______________
In 2018 I began my first vegetable and herb garden with 24 different seed packets from St. Clare. They had excellent germination, which continued throughout 2019 and 2020 for the leftover seeds which were stored intermittently in zip top bags in the refrigerator or in a cupboard. Being heirlooms, I have also saved seed from many of my mature plants (tomatoes, bush beans, leaf lettuce, arugula, peppers, marigolds) and germination rates are good. Their freebie pack was the best producer of all my tomatoes, thanks!
Positive Jpow915
Kingsland, GA
May 4, 2020
I ordered from St. Clare Heirloom seeds for the first time on April 25, 2020. My heirloom carrot seeds arrived today, May 4, 2020. I am pleased with my purchase, especially thankful for the extra free seed packet included in my order. I will be purchasing from this company again.
Positive praporshchik
Madison, WI
April 22, 2020
Great site and lots of informative details on the products they sell!
Positive Misty14
Midland City, AL
April 17, 2020
Iíve ordered from St.Clare Seeds a few times and Iím always impressed! Great on delivery, germination rate is awesome, and always love the little gift!
Positive tissy79
Highland, IL
March 23, 2020
Website was a breeze to use. Easy navigation, wonderful selection to choose from, affordable prices, faith based and family owned.
Positive Mossyrock125
Mount Olivet, KY
March 8, 2020
I had information on how and when to plant and my seeds shipped to my house fast.
Positive Tanner725
Belton, TX
January 2, 2020
The online selection was great! When I ordered my seeds they came quickly in the mail. The seller also sent a bonus lettuce seed pack which my wife and I very much enjoyed. I will continue to go to St. Clare Heirloom Seeds for my future seed needs. My only criticism is that the website is a bit dated.
Positive Doccook
Churchville, VA
May 6, 2019
Great selection of seeds, and wonderfully prompt serviceóa positive shopping experience every time!
Positive Mrdoan72
Cabool, MO
September 19, 2018
AAAA++++
Positive lcarothers
Georgetown, SC
July 30, 2018
Joy in shopping for heirlooms seeds. Easy to navigate site, reasonable pricing and shipping. Concise clear info on each product. Ease of check out, very easy! A good experience, I recommend ST Clare Heirloom seeds.
Positive sinsky
Milwaukee, WI
June 4, 2018
Third year I've ordered vegetable seeds from St. Clare. My order was accurate and arrived promptly. As with my prior two orders, I anticipate another bountiful harvest thanks to St. Clare!
Positive nitadrend
Yorkville, IL
March 23, 2018
I received my seeds quickly, as I have come to expect from St. Clare. Each year I start vegetable plants from seeds for myself, 2 daughters, and 3 sisters. So, St. Clare's excellent germination rate is very important to me. This year I see they attached a "Live Seeds Do Not X-Ray or Sanitize!" sticker on the mailing envelope. What a great idea! We are looking forward to trying the Santa Fe Grande Pepper this year for the first time.
Positive Zdencano
Atlanta, GA
March 3, 2018
Wonderful web site and great customer service.